Page 1 of 170 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: MMA Thread

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia

MMA Thread

I figured that this was the best place for this, if not, I just assume it will be moved.

I'm thinking of buying some UFC DVD's. I've been watching the recent shows on Bravo and have been impressed with the UFC. The problem is these are pretty much best of shows. I remember watching some UFC years ago and a lot of it did seem a little boring. I might wait until I see some more shows. I think the next UFC PPV is live on Bravo. I know the UFC tried to make it in the UK last year. They were on Sky Sports and they had a PPV on Sky Box Office. It was soon off Sky though. See how it goes I suppose.

Does anyone watch the UFC? I want some recommendations for some DVD's. Their releasing the old shows. UFC 1 and 2 are available through Silvervision, but they are pretty old. I've seen them years ago and know that Royce Gracie wins.

So, is it worth watching? Or is it just worth getting the best of shows?

Intercontinental Champion Italia's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When is it on Bravo?

The Beast From Belarus Hlebsfall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    It's on Bravo at 11 most nights. They had the best knockouts program on the other day which was pretty good. And seeing as it's Bravo, it will probably be repeated every day for about the next six years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know how you get into the UFC. It's not something i'm gonna devote my life to but i'd love a crack at some competative fighting again.

The Beast From Belarus Hlebsfall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    http://www.ufc.tv/articles/faq/faq.asp#1

How do I get into the UFC?

Fighting in the UFC requires years of training and fighting experience. If you think you've got what it takes, send a VIDEO TAPE of your fights, and a short bio to:

UFC Fighter Info
    Attn: Sean Shelby
    PO Box 26959
    Las Vegas, NV 89126

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somebody knows if UFC 37.5: Belfrot vs Liddell was released on DVD?

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone watching the UFC reality show after Raw on Mondays? It features Liddell and Couture as trainers.

Pretty good stuff, and now I see they'll be having thier rematch in the near future to capitalize on the momentum on of the reality show.

I have no idea about the Belfort/Liddell match, I'm only a casual watcher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopesfall
    http://www.ufc.tv/articles/faq/faq.asp#1

How do I get into the UFC?

Fighting in the UFC requires years of training and fighting experience. If you think you've got what it takes, send a VIDEO TAPE of your fights, and a short bio to:

UFC Fighter Info
    Attn: Sean Shelby
    PO Box 26959
    Las Vegas, NV 89126

And i've been boxing for like 12 years now and i did some basic amatuer(spelling anyone?) wrestling when i trained for pro wrestling. Not to mention i can count how many one on one fights i've lost in my life on one hand. And i'm a pretty vocal guy. But still i'd say my chances are slim to none

Flying without wings
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to watch it every thursday night at 11 on Sky Sports 1. I loved it but then sky cruelly stole it away from me

I've seen it on Bravo a few times, but I don't know any of them anymore.

What's happened to Chuck Liddel, Jens Pulver etc?

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by matty80ca
    Anyone watching the UFC reality show after Raw on Mondays? It features Liddell and Couture as trainers.

Pretty good stuff, and now I see they'll be having thier rematch in the near future to capitalize on the momentum on of the reality show.

I have no idea about the Belfort/Liddell match, I'm only a casual watcher.
    Yeah I have been watching that show after Raw. Not bad really. I was little worried. I am not really a UFC fan or anything but the show has been interesting to say the least.

And I love how Couture and Liddell are the trainers and they have a big rematch coming up. Granted the show was taped a little while back I am sure but still I find it interesting they are having a fight soon.

Anyway I am getting tired of Team Liddell having to give up team members. I mean I understand why they are doing it but at the same time they could just let team Liddell eliminate the whole other team and then fight themselves for the contracts.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by phenom
    I used to watch it every thursday night at 11 on Sky Sports 1. I loved it but then sky cruelly stole it away from me

I've seen it on Bravo a few times, but I don't know any of them anymore.

What's happened to Chuck Liddel, Jens Pulver etc?
    Liddell is the number one contender to the lightweight title and will fight Courture for the title soon in a rematch.

Both were the trainers for a reality show that gave two fighters UFC deals or whatever.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy
    Does anyone watch the UFC? I want some recommendations for some DVD's. Their releasing the old shows. UFC 1 and 2 are available through Silvervision, but they are pretty old. I've seen them years ago and know that Royce Gracie wins.

So, is it worth watching? Or is it just worth getting the best of shows?
    yes, I watch the UFC on a regular basis. I've got all the UFC tapes that were distributed (UFC 1-22 and 30-38) and DVD's (39-50, UFC Hits 1 & 2, Ultimate Knockouts 1, 2, & 3, and Ultimate Submissions)

DVD recommendations:

- UFC 40: Shamrock vs. Ortiz (beatdown of a legend), Liddell vs. Babalu (high kick KO), Weir vs. Miller (one of my favorite fights)....8 fights, no fights go the distance

- UFC 43: Liddell vs. Couture I (unbelievable fight), Rizzo vs. Telligman II (another stand up war)

- UFC 44: Couture vs. Ortiz (Ortiz gets taken to school), Loiseau vs. Rivera (a War), Arlovski vs. Matyushenko (nasty beat down), Franklin vs. DeWee's, McGee vs. Syvia (1-2 combination KO), Franca vs. Uno (sick KO)....the card's stacked

- UFC 46: Penn vs. Hughes (Penn becomes a MMA star), Mir vs. Sims II (beautiful KO), Thomson vs. Franca (close fight)

- UFC 47: Liddell vs. Ortiz (beautiful KO), Franca vs. Edwards (close fight), Genki Sudo!! 3 knockouts, 4 tap outs, 1 decision

- UFC 49: Couture vs. Belfort III (bloody fight), Liddell vs. White (nasty KO), Eilers vs. Kyle (KO), Edwards vs. Thomson (beautiful flying high kick)

- UFC 50: Franklin vs. Rivera (a War), Trigg vs. Charuto, Hughes vs. St. Pierre (tap out with 1 seconds left), Tanner vs. Lawler (Lawler gets schooled)

but, if these are available to you, I would get:
    UFC 31
    UFC 34

don't forget the TUF finale....Shamrock vs. Franklin could be a passing of the torch in a way. Franklin is moving back up to Light Heavyweight for this one fight. the UFC wants him to fight at 185lbs....so, this is a one time deal most likely. Franklin's got a more well rounded game than the aging Shamrock. Shamrock is the underdog for this fight, which may make him more dangerous that he has nothing to lose. he's already in a win/win situation. if he wins, he proves he still has it. if he loses, he lost to a younger fighter.

my pick: Franklin via TKO round 2

Florian vs. Diego - man, Florian is going to be in a world of hurt for this fight. Florian is a natural 170lbs/Welterweight fighter who has moved up in weight to fight in the 185lbs division. originally, he wasn't going to be on the show. but due to his performance against Drew Fickett, Dana brought Florian in for the show and moved Fickett up to the UFC. Fickett was originally suppose to compete in the TUF show. Diego just has too much. I heard that Florian has gotten the best of Diego in sparring, but that's just talk....nobody knows for sure.

my pick is definately Diego via TKO in round 2

Swick/Bonnar vs. Forrest/Hoger/Southworth(??) - I'm hoping for a Bonnar vs. Forrest final. these 2 are the more well rounded fighters out of the rest of the bunch.

I've seen Forrest fight outside the show and he was awesome in the IFC: Global Domination 8 man tournament. he ended up making it to the semi-finals after tapping Chael Sonnen with a triangle choke. he fought Jeremy Horn in the semi's and he was winning the fight up until Horn hit him with a high kick that knocked him out.

i've got a UA fighting DVD with Bonnar on it. I have seen the DVD in the past, but I haven't seen it since the show began. the guy's got tremendous heart and a chin to back it up. he looked a little sloppy against Southworth, but Southworth was counterpunching to perfection. believe he was trained with Caesar Gracie Jiu Jitsu....i'll have to look into it more

my pick: if it's bonnar/forrest, i'll go with Forrest via JD....but Bonnar will fight in the UFC sooner or later

can't wait for UFC 52:

UFC Lightheavyweight Championship: Couture (ch)vs. Liddell II - if I was a betting man, my money would be on Couture. Liddell has had his fair share of KO's since his loss to Couture (Ortiz, White, Alistair Overeem) but suffered a pretty tough loss to Rampage during the Pride FC MW Grand Prix....semi-finals. Couture is just too tough for anybody in the UFC LHW division. the guy's so incredibly athletic and he's 41!! Liddell has the best sprawl in the UFC, but even he can't prevent Couture taking him down with his outstanding greco roman style

my pick: Couture via TKO round 3....still champ

UFC Welterweight Championship: Hughes (ch) vs. Trigg II - the first time these two fought was during UFC 45. Trigg seemed too confident going into this fight. he tried to wrestle against the best wrestler in the WW division and ended up getting beat via rear naked choke in the first round. hopefully Trigg will try to keep it standing this time and use his uppercuts and knee's to his advantage. Hughes is coming off a win over St. Pierre via arm bar with 1 second left in the first round. because BJ Penn wanted to fight elsewhere (his own promotion: Rumble on the Rock and K-1), the UFC stripped him of the WW title that he won from Hughes. Hughes won the title in a vacant title match against....St. Pierre. Trigg is coming off huge wins over Dennis Hallman (via TKO) and BJ Penn's brazilian jiu-jitsu trainer Charuto (TKO).

my pick: Trigg via TKO round 4....new WW champ

Lindland vs. Lutter - Lutter is a newcomer who knocked out Eastman at UFC 50 with a punch that people didn't think landed....with the wonder of slow motion with a DVD player, yeah, the punch landed....quick flash KO. Lindland is coming off a loss to David Terrell at UFC 49 via KO/TKO. he's back to redeem himself in any way possible.

my pick: Lindland via TKO round 2....Lindland vs. Tanner for the MW championship has been brought up. Lindland and Tanner are both members of Team Quest along with Dan Henderson and Randy Couture....the 2 teammates don't mind fighting one another for the belt

St. Pierre vs. Miller - St. Pierre is a well rounded fighter. Miller is known for his TKO victory over Egan Inoue at SuperBrawl. he's currently the SuperBrawl MW champion. this could be the show stealer

my pick: St. Pierre via JD

Murray vs. Cote - Murray packs dynamite in his hands, but his only UFC fight, he subbed Rivera very quickly. Cote also is known for his KO power, but it has yet to be seen. these 2 will definately go toe to toe standing (crossing fingers). Cote is coming off a loss to Tito Ortiz at UFC 50. Cote was a last minute replacement for Guy Mezger who had 2 strokes and was not able to fight

my pick: Murray via TKO round 2

Riggs vs. Salaverry - Diesel Riggs is coming off a big win over Joe Doerkson. Salaverry is coming off a big win over Tony Fryklund (Militech fighter). Salavery has the reach, but Riggs has the power. Salaverry has a much better ground game as he trains with Matt Hume and Josh Barnett at AMC Pankration in Washington

my pick: Salaverry via sub round 1

Babalu vs. Wiuff - this fight confuses me. Wiuff is a natural heavyweight who's cutting over 30lbs to make weight for this LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT fight. Babalu is coming off winning the IFC Global Domination 8 man tournament beating Prangley, Shogun Rua, and Jeremy Horn. Babalu has been one of the fighters that the internet has been waiting to make his return to the UFC. Wiuff on the other hand, this guy has been on a rampage since his debut and loss at UFC 40 to Matyushenko. he's 22-1 and on a 18 fight win streak

my pick: Babalu via JD in a tough fight

Van Arsdale vs. Marsh - another fight that confused me. Van Arsdale is a LHW and Marsh is a HW. but, they insisted that Van Arsdale to move up. if you've seen the Best of WWE Confidential and seen the Kurt Angle part where he goes back to the training complex, you'll see Van Arsdale....I believe Kurt calls him grandpa. Van Arsdale is a hard hitting wrestler who's pretty damn good at getting position and keeping the pressure on his opponent. Marsh is coming off a win over Cabbage at Rumble on the Rock. Marsh was also the guy who threw a water bottle at Cabbage after Cabbage/Tank at UFC 45....the bad blood spilled over and that fight happened, just not in the UFC; they could have cashed in.

my pick: Marsh via JD

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JAROTO
    Somebody knows if UFC 37.5: Belfrot vs Liddell was released on DVD?
    nope. it was one of the 2 Zuffa ppv's that never made it to a VHS or DVD release....the other was UFC 33, the first PPV from the Zuffa era. it was a complete nightmare. it ended up going past their required timeslot for the ppv. all 5 of the televised fights went to the distance....wish they would release it though, I've got a burned copy and Menne/Castillo was a war

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phenom
    What's happened to Jens Pulver?
    Pulver wanted more money and the UFC didn't think that the 155lbs division was marketable. so, he left the UFC and dropped the belt. the belt was then put up in a four man tournament that spanned two UFC's....UFC 39 - Penn vs. Serra and Uno vs. Din Thomas....UFC 41 - Penn vs. Uno II. Penn vs. Uno ended up in a draw and pretty much the death of the 155lbs division began.

as for Pulver, he started a career in pro boxing and fought in many of the lower tier cards and Shooto events. he's now under contract with Pride. he's currently 6-3 outside the UFC and was recently KO'ed by, who I believe is the #1 155lbs fighter in the world today, Takanori Gomi at Pride Shockwave 2004. it was an awesome fight though....all standing and the two were trading pot shots and counter strikes

I'm back....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, Kamikaze, what style of fighting do you prefer, then? It looks to me like you like the stand-up strikers. I'm into more of the wrestler/submission guys myself. I've got half a mind to buy some of the DVDs.

Okay, my other question is about each of the promotions, and who primarily fight in them. The only ones I know are UFC (of which I know more about than the others), Pride FC, and K-1. Probably the only non-UFC fighter I've heard of, then, is Bob Sapp, since I know he's somewhat of an icon in Japan. Who are some of the stars? I've heard Pride is mostly European, K-1 is primarily Asian, and UFC is obviously American.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Salvy_Mic
    So, Kamikaze, what style of fighting do you prefer, then? It looks to me like you like the stand-up strikers. I'm into more of the wrestler/submission guys myself. I've got half a mind to buy some of the DVDs.

Okay, my other question is about each of the promotions, and who primarily fight in them. The only ones I know are UFC (of which I know more about than the others), Pride FC, and K-1. Probably the only non-UFC fighter I've heard of, then, is Bob Sapp, since I know he's somewhat of an icon in Japan. Who are some of the stars? I've heard Pride is mostly European, K-1 is primarily Asian, and UFC is obviously American.
    I myself trained in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for a little less than a year during my junior year in high school. I stopped once my family moved from california to washington state in 1997. I started kickboxing when I joined the air force from 1999-2001. after that, I just realized that I didn't want to train or fight, I just wanted to be a spectator.

I prefer the ground game myself, but I like the complete game. fighters who can stand up and strike along with being able to submit, sub defense, and work from in the guard and the guard position. transitioning on the ground is exciting to me. when you see two fighters who know what they're doing and try to finish fights is awesome....check out Sakuraba vs. Carlos Newton - Pride 3

K-1 and Pride bring in the worlds best. they've got the money and they've got the market to get any fighter they want. they sell out arena's all around japan topping over 30,000+ each time they put on an event. MMA is huge in Japan along with K-1 that the fighters who compete, win or lose, are instant celebrities. Ernesto Hoost and Peter Aerts are huge celebrities in japan and they're from the K-1 circuit. also, before his death, Andy Hug was one of the biggest names in Japan and he's from Switzerland. they don't care where you're from, they cheer for the fact that fighters step into the ring and put on a show

the UFC, it's sometimes a tough pill to swallow. fans are more spoiled and don't truly understand the sport....but are getting much better. if you've seen early UFC's, you'll notice the crowd boo when it hits the ground. it use to be exciting when Royce Gracie was tapping fighters out in 2 minutes or less, but after that, it got stale in the american market. then, fighters started cross training and that's why you see more finishes and close fights in the UFC now. the UFC brings in top fighters from the US and some from around the world. they just can't compete financially with Pride or K-1 at this time. once they gain a little main stream attention, they may be able to sign some of the bigger name fighters. but now, they are making fighters and finding fighters from smaller cards like the IFC, WEC, TKO, KOTC, GC, and a few other smaller shows

UFC -

HW: Frank Mir (HW champ), Andrei Arlovski (interim HW Champ)

LHW: Randy Couture, Chuck Liddell, Vitor Belfort, Tito Ortiz (?? depends if he resigns with the company....he's asking for $250,000 per fight)

WW: Evan Tanner (WW Champ), Matt Lindland, David Terrell, Rich Franklin, Phil Baroni (may not be back for a long time), Lee Murray

WW: Matt Hughes (MW Champ), Frank Trigg, Karo Parisyan, Nick Diaz, Chris Lytle

LW: Yves Edwards (uncrowned LW champ)....the division has pretty much been closed out by the company

Pride FC -

HW - Fedor Emelianenko (HW Champ), Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, CroCop, Sergei Kharitonov, Aleksander Emelianenko, Mark Coleman

MW - Vanderlei Silva (MW Champ), Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, Ninja Rua, Shogun Rua, Kevin Randleman, Kazushi Sakuraba, Dan Henderson, Yuki Kondo, etc etc etc....it's a stacked division

lighterweights - Takanori Gomi, Buscape, Jens Pulver, Anderson Silva, Ryo Chonan, Hayato Sakurai

K-1 MMA - pretty much just started with the "Hero's" event and Romanex

HW - Bob Sapp, Lyoto, Heath Herring, Sam Greco, Kazuyuki Fujita, Gary Goodridge, Sylvester Terkay,

MW and below - BJ Penn, Caol Uno, Joachim Hansen, Genki Sudo

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Kamikaze
    Murray vs. Cote - Murray packs dynamite in his hands, but his only UFC fight, he subbed Rivera very quickly. Cote also is known for his KO power, but it has yet to be seen. these 2 will definately go toe to toe standing (crossing fingers). Cote is coming off a loss to Tito Ortiz at UFC 50. Cote was a last minute replacement for Guy Mezger who had 2 strokes and was not able to fight

my pick: Murray via TKO round 2
    it's just been noted that Lee Murray has yet again had troubles getting his Visa to compete in the UFC. the hard hitting brit for the second time now will be out of action until he clears things up. what I read is that he's had trouble with the law, but nothing has been brought up on what the charges are/were

Patrick Cote will now fight last minute replacement Joe Doerkson. Doerkson competed in UFC 49 (I think) and lost to Joseph "Diesel" Riggs via TKO

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I was over at the UFC site and I saw the final cared for the TUF Finale this Saturday. I was thinking there would be more fights no on tv and I wanted to see if they had a listing. Looks like the guys from the show will be squaring off against each other on the undercard. So they all get to fight in the areana in front of a crowd. Pretty cool.

TUF Finale Fight Card

Ken Shamrock vs. Rich Franklin

Light Heavyweight Final
    Stephan Bonner vs. Forrest Griffin

Middleweight Final
    Diego Sanchez vs. Kenny Florian

Non-televised preliminary bouts:
    Mike Swick vs. Alex Schoenauer
    Bobby Southworth vs. Sam Hogar
    Josh Koscheck vs. Chris Sanford
    Chris Leben vs. Jason Thacker
    Lodune Sincaid vs. Nate Quarry
    Alex Karalexis vs. Josh Rafferty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, I watch the UFC on a regular basis. I've got all the UFC tapes that were distributed (UFC 1-22 and 30-38) and DVD's (39-50, UFC Hits 1 & 2, Ultimate Knockouts 1, 2, & 3, and Ultimate Submissions)
    my pick: Marsh via JD

Damn, whoever that is in your signature all the way to the right getting suplexed on their head. Man, it hurts just to look at it. I haven't watched much UFC, but that looks just plain brutal and possibly deadly.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade-job
    Damn, whoever that is in your signature all the way to the right getting suplexed on their head. Man, it hurts just to look at it. I haven't watched much UFC, but that looks just plain brutal and possibly deadly.
    that was Kevin Randleman vs. Fedor Emelianenko during the Pride HW Grand Prix tournament....2nd round: Critical Countdown. Fedor is the current Pride HW champion and also won the tournament. he was able to somehow not get hurt at all from that slam and ended up finishing the fight with a kimura/shoulder lock

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MTR
    I was over at the UFC site and I saw the final cared for the TUF Finale this Saturday. I was thinking there would be more fights no on tv and I wanted to see if they had a listing. Looks like the guys from the show will be squaring off against each other on the undercard. So they all get to fight in the areana in front of a crowd. Pretty cool.

TUF Finale Fight Card

Ken Shamrock vs. Rich Franklin

Light Heavyweight Final
    Stephan Bonner vs. Forrest Griffin

Middleweight Final
    Diego Sanchez vs. Kenny Florian

Non-televised preliminary bouts:
    only Shamrock/Franklin, Sanchez/Florian, and Bonnar/Forrest are going to be shown on the UFC finale. the other fights will be dark matches that will either be shown on a future filler ppv and/or will be on the TUF season 1 dvd set

as for the fights, here are my predictions:

Shamrock vs. Franklin
    winner: Franklin via TKO

LHW finals: Stephan Bonnar vs. Forrest Griffin
    winner: Bonnar via UD

MW finals: Diego Sanchez vs. Kenny Florian
    winner: Sanchez via TKO round 2

winner: Swick via rear naked choke round 2

winner: B-South via KO round 1

winner: Sanford via armbar round 2

winner: Thacker via JD

winner: Nate via TKO round 2

winner: Rafferty via TKO
    Last edited by Irish Kamikaze; April 9th, 2005 at 7:30 AM.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you're interested, here are the weigh in pics for the the Ulimate Fighter Finale

http://forums.mmaweekly.com/Toast.as...d=69895&page=2

after seeing the pics, I changed my predictions

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Live Results from "The Ultimate Fighter" Finale - 4/9/2005
    by Jason Probst c/o InsideFigthing.Com

Koscheck defeats Sanford by KO at 4:21 of the first round.

Nate Quarry beats Louden Sincaid by TKO at 3:17 of the second round, via punches

Mike Swick wins via knockout in 20 seconds over Alex Schoenauer -- Swick lands a vicious series of punches to win the fight in the opening moments

Alex Karalexis wins by knockout over Josh Rafferty at 1:40 of the first round

Leben defeats Thacker by punches at 1:35 of the first round

I should have never edited my picks....I originally picked Koscheck, Leben, and Karalexis to win but I ended up changing my picks after the weigh in's
    Last edited by Irish Kamikaze; April 9th, 2005 at 8:42 PM.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sam hoger defeated bobby southworth via JD

Know the Game State Average Joe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw the Ultimate Finale...

I have to say, anyone that was watching Bonnar vs. Griffin, holy shit, that was one of the more intense fights I've ever seen. Big props to both of them... they really left it all out there.

But, I was also surprised that Shamrock / Franklin was over so quickly... Shamrock basically tripped while throwing a roundhouse and Frankiln mounted him soon after and that was all she wrote... I expected more from a main event...

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    I expected more from a main event...
    I didn't really. the only shot Shamrock had in the fight was a quick ko, once that didn't happen, you just know that Shamrock was in for a very short night himself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did anyone else notice that alot of the fans were gone by the time the main event started? I found that kinda sad. Also, the Forrest/Bonner match was unbelieveable, but I thought it was either a draw, or Bonner won. I don't see why Forrest won. Then again, I haven't seen many MMA fights at all so I don't know what to look for.
    ________
    BMW M40
    Last edited by Brian M.; April 27th, 2011 at 11:43 AM.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I myself thought Bonnar won the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Bonnar could have been awarded a 10-8 2nd round with how many times he had forrest staggered and spaghetti legged. also, Forrest seemed to have died out in the second round before his second wind and Bonnar was capitalizing.

but, i'm not a judge and what matters most is that both of these guys will be in the UFC....well deserved

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I myself thought Bonnar won the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Bonnar could have been awarded a 10-8 2nd round with how many times he had forrest staggered and spaghetti legged. also, Forrest seemed to have died out in the second round before his second wind and Bonnar was capitalizing.

but, i'm not a judge and what matters most is that both of these guys will be in the UFC....well deserved
    I agree. I didn't really care who won the fight. Noone really lost in that bout.
    ________
    DIGITAL VAPORIZER

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeesSuck316
    I agree. I didn't really care who won the fight. Noone really lost in that bout.
    but only Forrest got a Scion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something tells me Bonner will be able to afford a half decent vehicle with his new six figure salary .
    ________
    Wendie 99

Paul. Ringo. John. Carl. TapOut's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just watched Couture vs. Lidell, and it wasn't even close: Couture dominated Lidell from beginning to end. Lidell would throw a punch, knick Couture or miss, and Couture would counter with a punch that almost every time would nail Lidell head-on, and he would take Lidell down three times throughout the match, HARD.

I'm going to get the show next week because the show on Spike TV really opened my eyes. I'm not going to count on the main event though: matches in boxing and the UFC can really throw you a curve and dissapoint, as Ken Shamrock slipping last night proved.

The Real Rajah United Xtreme Rebel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is some UFC on FSN right now...at least on FSN North.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's from UFC 49 I think.

Does anyone else think Quarry was better than the rest of them, with the exception of Diego?

Intercontinental Champion P Dandy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quarry is part of Couture's Team Qwest and is actually helping Couture get read for Lidell. If Quarry was healthy I believe he would have gone to the finals and beaten Diego. I saw a clip of Quarry and Diego on grappling and I just don't think Diego can possibly run all over him like he did the other 3 guys. He reminds me of a Tim duncan of fighting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Irish, you seem to be the resident expert on MMA.

Do you think any of the losers from the show will make it to the UFC?

Any idea how the winners' contracts are structured?

What is the best site to keep up on their progress?

Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    winner: Thacker via JD

Thacker beat Leben?????

WTF?

SUPERBRAWL SATURDAY?!?!? Justin-Credible's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet Forest and Stephan definitley have a rematch at a UFC PPV.

I thought the match was to close to call, Forest won the 1st round, Stephan the 2nd, the third was to close to call, maybe an edge to Stephan. But at least they both got the contract. Joe Rogan should learn a thing or two before he announces again. Like, not always geting all excited when they throw a knee and miss. Rogan was like "Oh My God, a Huge Knee!" I was sitting there like, he didn't even connect.

Paul. Ringo. John. Carl. TapOut's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin-Credible
    Rogan was like "Oh My God, a Huge Knee!" I was sitting there like, he didn't even connect.
    I was thinking the same thing. He should go to wrestling, he'd do great over there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do not put Rogan on wrestling. Please. He can't even read.

Oh yeah, Forrest v. Bonnar- one of the best ever.

The Epitome of Egotism Anarcho Fukayama's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great match. Too bad they don't put more of these events on TV I can afford.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rogan quotes:

OH MY GOD, A HUGE KNEE!

OH MY GOD, BONNAR'S ROCKED! BONNAR'S ROCKED!

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rednaz
    Irish, you seem to be the resident expert on MMA.

Do you think any of the losers from the show will make it to the UFC?

Any idea how the winners' contracts are structured?

What is the best site to keep up on their progress?

Cheers.
    I honestly think that other than those who received contracts....Hoger, Quarry, Leben, Koscheck, Karalexis, and Swick will all be signed to either 1 fight deals or multi fight deals. I really think that Swick and Quarry will get signed for multi-fight deals though

the contracts are 6 figures which will be spread out in a 3-4 fight deal

the site that I am a regular at is sherdog.com

Thacker beat Leben?????

WTF?
    no, that was my prediction. Thacker is the canadian wrestling champion in his weight class....so I thought he'd be able to "hold" leben down for a JD

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you guys thought Bonnar/Forrest was awesome, i'll try to get up another great fight between 2 155lbs fighters....Jens Pulver vs. Takanori Gomi: Pride FC Shockwave 2004. this was what I think is the best fight of 2004

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by P Dandy
    I saw a clip of Quarry and Diego on grappling and I just don't think Diego can possibly run all over him like he did the other 3 guys. He reminds me of a Tim duncan of fighting.
    you're talking about that sparring clip that was on the TUF main page, huh? Quarry is a well rounded fighter. I've got a few of his fights in my dvd collection and he was in a war against Ximu during a king of the cage event. he was my pick to win it all, along with Forrest, the moment I saw the 16 fighters....I picked them out of reputation and because I have seen them fight in the past. Forrest was great in the IFC Global Domination tournament in his 2 fights and Quarry has been solid in all the fights I have seen him in.

Quarry is a very classy guy and he exemplifies what Team Quest is about....professionalism and getting the job done....except for Chris Leben, who I think has gotten alot better since his temper tantrums on the show.

Quarry will be in the UFC, but the only problem is that he's fighting at 185lbs and 2 other Team Quest members are currently fighting at 185lbs/middleweight: MW Champ Evan Tanner and #1 contender Matt Lindland

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TapOut84
    I just watched Couture vs. Lidell, and it wasn't even close: Couture dominated Lidell from beginning to end. Lidell would throw a punch, knick Couture or miss, and Couture would counter with a punch that almost every time would nail Lidell head-on, and he would take Lidell down three times throughout the match, HARD.

I'm going to get the show next week because the show on Spike TV really opened my eyes. I'm not going to count on the main event though: matches in boxing and the UFC can really throw you a curve and dissapoint, as Ken Shamrock slipping last night proved.
    that fight was from UFC 43 Meltdown. that card was stacked with alot of high profile fighters from the UFC past and alot of fighters who've been waiting to get on the show.

I definately recommend getting the show. top to bottom, the card is stacked and it's a shame that 3 of the fights are going to be on the pre-lims and will be shown if there's time. the fight that I'm very looking forward to is George St. Pierre vs. Jason Miller. also, Travis Wiuff may not be fighting if he fails his physical and his replacement to fight Babalu would be Phil Baroni.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definately recommend getting the show. top to bottom, the card is stacked and it's a shame that 3 of the fights are going to be on the pre-lims and will be shown if there's time. the fight that I'm very looking forward to is George St. Pierre vs. Jason Miller. also, Travis Wiuff may not be fighting if he fails his physical and his replacement to fight Babalu would be Phil Baroni.
    100% chance I am ordering that ppv which means no Backlash. I think once I am more familiar with more of the fighters, I will like the UFC even more. I will check out sherdog.net. Thanks for the tip.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    100% chance I am ordering that ppv which means no Backlash. I think once I am more familiar with more of the fighters, I will like the UFC even more. I will check out sherdog.net. Thanks for the tip.
    the problem with the UFC is the lack of long term contracts. some fighters have them, then again, most fighters are on 1-fight deals....you lose, you're gone for a very long time.

pick up a few past UFC dvd's and you'll be set. I recommend Pride Fighting Championship as well

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I have been looking for some detail results of the ppv last night and no real luck.

Liddell won on a TKO from what I see. I really like Liddell. Something about him challenging the Pride champion after he won I think too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    supposedly Liddell cleaned Couture's clock.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - UFC 44: Loiseau vs. Rivera (a War)

Just finished watching it, but that fight was awful.

CaRdS FaN
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Liddell dominated Couture. I saw it on ppv. It was over in the first round.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MTR
    I have been looking for some detail results of the ppv last night and no real luck.

Liddell won on a TKO from what I see. I really like Liddell. Something about him challenging the Pride champion after he won I think too.
    Liddell would get KO'ed by Vanderlei Silva. make no mistake that Liddell is a very good fighter, but Vanderlei is far ahead of him in every aspect of the fight game

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Brothers Grimm
    - UFC 44: Loiseau vs. Rivera (a War)

Just finished watching it, but that fight was awful.
    Rivera vs. Franklin is a much better fight....UFC 50

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Franklin is my favorite fighter. What happens?

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Franklin is my favorite fighter. What happens?
    Rivera vs. Franklin was a full scale war. this is Franklin's first fight at 185lbs. it went 3 rounds and then Franklin finished it via armbar

Franklin is fighting Evan Tanner for the MW title at the next UFC

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    UFC will have a live card on Spike in August that will have matches involving some of the guys from the first season of the Ultimate Fighter.

And of course the new season of the Utlimate Fighter starts airing around that time too. Franklin will be one of the coaches after winning the MW title.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Right, I've been watching quite a bit of this as of late on Bravo and I've got a few questions..

• I was looking around the internet and it seems that Pride is the more entertaining company. How good is Pride, how does it differ from the UFC?

• Which events did Goldberg appear on and how did he fare?

• Some PRIDE DVD recommendations would be great, as well as UFC recommendations..

• What is Pride's 'Hustle' series?

• Who are the best known fighters? I've heard of the Gracies, Shamrock, Severn, Frye etc. but I'm not sure of who's on top at the moment..

• What other organisations are there besides the UFC and Pride? What are they like etc. and how do they differ?

• I read about an incident where a Russian fighter was killed by an American fighter in one organisation or another. Does anyone have any idea what I'm on about? Have there been any other fighters killed?

Cheers, I'll look through this thread to see if any of my questions have already been answered. If someone could answer ay of these I'd appreciate it.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I am liking this UFC stuff after Raw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So where can I find the card for the event where the UF 1 fighters go against veterans? Who do you think has a chance?
    Last edited by P Dandy; July 31st, 2005 at 1:22 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ringmaster
    Right, I've been watching quite a bit of this as of late on Bravo and I've got a few questions..

• I was looking around the internet and it seems that Pride is the more entertaining company. How good is Pride, how does it differ from the UFC?
    Pride, like UFC, is only as good as the fighters they book to appear. And then only as good as the fights those guys produce. Pride has a few varying rule differences, such as, kicking to the head while your opponent is on the ground is allowed, they use a boxing-style ring instead of a cage, the refs are usuallly quicker to bring the fighters back to their feet if stalled on the ground, and they will return the fighters to center ring if locked in the ropes (in the exact same position they were in, no less).

• Which events did Goldberg appear on and how did he fare?
    Goldberg has never competed in MMA. Besides, I have little doubt he would get killed.

• Some PRIDE DVD recommendations would be great, as well as UFC recommendations..
    Total Elimination 2003 and Final Conflict 2003 is a good start for Pride. It's their first middleweight tournament, and it will introduce to you some of their top middle- and heavy-weight fighters currently competing.

• Who are the best known fighters? I've heard of the Gracies, Shamrock, Severn, Frye etc. but I'm not sure of who's on top at the moment..
    Check out Vanderlai Silva, Chuck Liddel, Mauricio Rua, Mirko Filipovic, Fedor Emilianenko, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

• What other organisations are there besides the UFC and Pride? What are they like etc. and how do they differ?
    Much like pro wrestling, there's gobs. Can't say as I follow any of the lower profile promotions to know which are any good.

• I read about an incident where a Russian fighter was killed by an American fighter in one organisation or another. Does anyone have any idea what I'm on about? Have there been any other fighters killed?
    Never heard of an MMA death. If this did occur though, it most assuredly would have been at one of the lower profile promotions.

Cheers, I'll look through this thread to see if any of my questions have already been answered. If someone could answer ay of these I'd appreciate it.

Hope some of that helped ......

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by P Dandy
    So where can I find the card for the event where the UF 1 fighters go against veterans? Who do you think has a chance?
    UFC's site has the cards and such. The site is ufc.tv I believe.

Storm! Cradle! Driver!!!! *Nevermore*'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tonight is Ultimate Fight Night Live.

Definately looking forward to this.

Here the card:

Official Fight Card & Weigh-in's

MAIN CARD – SPIKETV
    Middleweight Bout
    Nathan Marquardt [184] vs. Ivan Salaverry [184]
    Patrick Cote [185] vs. Chris Leben 185.5]

Light Heavyweight Bout
    Sam Hoger [205] vs. Stephen Bonnar [206]

Middleweight Bout
    Pete Sell [186] vs. Nate Quarry [186]

Welterweight Bout
    Pete Spratt [170] vs. Josh Koscheck [170.5]

PRELIMS
    Middleweight Bout
    Mike Swick [186] vs Gideon Ray [181]

Welterweight Bout
    Kenny Florian [171] vs Alex Karalexis [170]
    Last edited by *Nevermore*; August 6th, 2005 at 11:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonnar definately leaves it all out there. He's great to watch but was running out of gas in round 3. More so than his bout with Griffin.

Chris Leben can take a punch like no one I've seen. He was hardly staggered by a heavy hitter.

Koscheck and Swick are impressive.

Too bad the main event drew so many boo's. Two well-schooled defensive fighters. I had never seen Marquardt before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by *Nevermore*
    Bonnar definately leaves it all out there. He's great to watch but was running out of gas in round 3. More so than his bout with Griffin.

Chris Leben can take a punch like no one I've seen. He was hardly staggered by a heavy hitter.

Koscheck and Swick are impressive.

Too bad the main event drew so many boo's. Two well-schooled defensive fighters. I had never seen Marquardt before.
    Sad to see Nate being booed for something out of his control. He had Sell anyways.

Know the Game State Average Joe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The entire night was awesome. UFC.

Joe Rogan sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and conspiracy theorists take note:

Every contestant from The Ultimate Fighter who had a bout tonight was victorious.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really trying to get in to this stuff. Got the TiVo set for the replay of tonight's showing and I'm gonna watch it before work. I've been watching those specials after RAW and it's fucking awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace Rockola
    Really trying to get in to this stuff. Got the TiVo set for the replay of tonight's showing and I'm gonna watch it before work. I've been watching those specials after RAW and it's fucking awesome.
    Be prepared to fast forward through MANY Burger King commercials.

Other than that, it was quite good.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by *Nevermore*
    Oh, and conspiracy theorists take note:

Every contestant from The Ultimate Fighter who had a bout tonight was victorious.
    Yeah except Sam.

I have seen most of it now one way or another after forgetting about it but managed to catch the end and most of the beginning of the replay and recording the replay. Good stuff. Really getting into this stuff now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I look forward to seeing more of Bonnar and Griffin. I just love their attitude and that spinning side kick that Bonnar does and that axe kick he tried to do on Hogar at the end was just awesome. I wish it would have have been successful though. Plus, Bonnar has probably got the best nickname ever (American Psycho)
    Last edited by P Dandy; August 7th, 2005 at 6:29 PM.

mouth breather
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    now that TNA is on spike, i can watch both UFC AND TNA.

sweet deal.

Like banging your head on a keyboard and hitting quick reply.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like UFC, for some reason Pride just pips it for me though.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by eugenespeed
    I like UFC, for some reason Pride just pips it for me though.
    Living in England, how do you get to see Pride?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by percussion13
    Pride, like UFC, is only as good as the fighters they book to appear. And then only as good as the fights those guys produce. Pride has a few varying rule differences, such as, kicking to the head while your opponent is on the ground is allowed, they use a boxing-style ring instead of a cage, the refs are usuallly quicker to bring the fighters back to their feet if stalled on the ground, and they will return the fighters to center ring if locked in the ropes (in the exact same position they were in, no less).

Goldberg has never competed in MMA. Besides, I have little doubt he would get killed.

Total Elimination 2003 and Final Conflict 2003 is a good start for Pride. It's their first middleweight tournament, and it will introduce to you some of their top middle- and heavy-weight fighters currently competing.

Check out Vanderlai Silva, Chuck Liddel, Mauricio Rua, Mirko Filipovic, Fedor Emilianenko, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

Much like pro wrestling, there's gobs. Can't say as I follow any of the lower profile promotions to know which are any good.

Never heard of an MMA death. If this did occur though, it most assuredly would have been at one of the lower profile promotions.

Hope some of that helped ......
    Great, cheers.

I was certain Goldberg had fought in Pride. Did he pull out at the last minute?

I saw Shamrock/Ortiz the other day. Fucking brilliant.

August 21st will be fantastic. UFC 54, directly followed by Summerslam.

Like banging your head on a keyboard and hitting quick reply.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Living in England, how do you get to see Pride?
    Tape Traders.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by percussion13
    Douglas Dedge is the only fighter I believe that has died from complications after a bout. he fought against doctors orders I believe and he wouldn't have been cleared to fight if he was to fight in the states

on a bright side, don't forget about Ultimate Fighter season 2, starting tonight! i'm pretty excited and I heard a few rumors that 3 fighters will be gone tonight....one of those fighters can't make weight and it may be Schall (training partner of Gurgel and Franklin). replacing that said person may be Dan Christison, who I thought should have been a regular contestant to begin with. he has alot of big wins recently....Jimmy Ambriz (former KOTC super heavyweight champ), Ben Rothwell (Militech fighter), and Andre "the Chief" Roberts. also, more injuries may plague this season as I heard that Ryan Schultz (team quest) may be on the show later. watch out for fighters like Guillard, the fighter on commercials who said: "I have 23 ko's, don't you know who I am?" he's got sick stand up skills and has decent ground skills. of course the favorite in the WW division is Jorge Gurgel (Franklin's training partner) and a BJJ extraordinaire. my pick is Joe Stevenson (former KOTC champ), but in a commercial, Dana was stating that he's 190lbs and is only 4'3 *snicker*. these guys should know better than to come in overweight and definately not in fighting shape.

UFC 54 was a pretty good event. I picked St. Pierre to win, but I didn't expect him to dismantle Trigg with ease. Trigg was touted as being the #2 WW in the UFC and GSP being the #3....just like that GSP has jumped up to #2 in the UFC and quite possibly #2 in the world with the UFC having such a great WW and MW competitors. Kikuchi can be an argument for being in the top 2 or 3.

Alot of fighters being taken out on stretchers during this evening as well. instead of checking in on fighters, Irvin and Sylvia were too busy thanking sponsors, but can't argue that they were caught in the moment. that flying knee was vicious as Martin was completely out on impact. I also didn't expect Sylvia to be able to kick that high....thank his trainer, what's his name? Buss? forgot who it was, but Sylvia said he got down to 11% body fat and became more flexible.

I picked MVA to beat Couture. I seriously thought MVA had the tools and skills to put away Couture. but, I was definately wrong. Couture is one of MMA's best strategists and he proved it against MVA. he used alot of knee's to the shoulders that wore MVA out and ended up tapping, to which I believe fatigue, after the gator roll into a guillotine....just like Buentello vs. Jordan when it wasn't really a choke, Jordan was more gassed than submitted. I expect Couture to fight Babalu next for the rights to a title shot.

Liddell winning was no suprise. they said that the hardcore fans favored Horn in this fight because of their past and Horn's experience. my argument on all that, their first fight happened over 6 years ago when Liddell was still green and didn't know the ground game. also, Horn has alot of wins, 86 to be exact, but stack those 86 wins and who he beat up to Liddell's recent wins in the UFC. Liddell's track record of KO'ing the top heep of the LHW division alone pwns that of Horn's wins on small shows and against relative unknowns. Horn did decent standing, but that's because he had no choice. Liddell's sprawl is just that good. also, Horn is a MW/185lbs fighter who moved up to LHW to fight Liddell for nostalgia. the UFC and Dana White love rematches, that's why we got this. it was only a matter of time before the fight was ended and Liddell remained the champ.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was certain Goldberg had fought in Pride. Did he pull out at the last minute?
    Goldberg was never rumored to compete. he commentated here and there during Pride Shockwave/Dynamite. he was there to promote his return to wrestling and for a match he was competing in at the budokan hall I believe. he did pretty decent commentary during the Sapp/Nog fight, though he was pro-Sapp due to being buddy buddy with him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man, that GSP match made my night, along with Couture winning. GSP freaking OWNED Trigg. That match made me giddy. Great great great PPV, I had more fun watching that then any recent WWE ppv I can think of. I am loving the UFC.

And I still can't understand why people try and outbox Liddell. Why do they try and go against his strength? Is his sprawl really that good that no one can take him down or at least clinch him and try and sweep him to the ground? Crazy.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid_Roll
    And I still can't understand why people try and outbox Liddell. Why do they try and go against his strength? Is his sprawl really that good that no one can take him down or at least clinch him and try and sweep him to the ground? Crazy.
    Chuck's sprawl is just that good. even though Couture beat Chuck the first time, Chuck was able to get back to his feet after being taken down by Couture....un-real. Rampage even had a tough time getting Chuck down and he's infamous for his slams and couldn't slam Chuck at all due to his sprawl. Horn had no choice but to try and box him, because he couldn't get Chuck down. same goes with Ortiz. Ortiz said that he wanted to stand and trade with Chuck, but in reality, it was due to Ortiz' failed attempts at takedowns.

as for the clinch and sweep techniques, Couture is the master of that and executed it perfectly against Ortiz, but against Chuck, to no avail. he just has a wide base and is just too strong physically.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    So who is watching the second season of the show. Some fucking pusses to start out. Two people quit in like the first two days. Utter crap.

The joke pulled on Dana was great though.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    episode 1, they thinned out the weak and brought in the strong.

episode 2, I read rumors that Christison was going to be on the show due to a fighter getting injured and it came true. Christison is a solid HW and has big wins over Andre Roberts, Ben Rothwell, and Dan Severn. this was a very good episode, but lacked training vignettes....I liked how Cummo was the last pick, but turned out to be the MVP in the challenge due to pulling guard on Davis and holding on to Anthony or Melvin, forgot who. Melvin was a darkhorse going into the show due to his reputation in the ring and the cage and I've seen a few of his fights. Burkman, who dropped down from MW (185lbs) down to WW (170lbs) for the show was just too strong and big for Melvin. he did execute a few excellent escapes, one being the summersault from when Burkman had the rear waist lock. the right man won, but it cost him as he'll be removed from the show after an injury, which the commercial teases and spoils

I already know who's replacing Burkman on the show and his initials are JVF

also, Anthony Torres, WW competitor from hawaii, was on the local radio show and did a 1-hour sit down on the "Sports Bar" on KKEA 1420 AM. I called in and asked how he and Franklin/Jorge bonded so well....it was just that they clicked off the bat and became roommates. they agreed that if they fought, it's nothing personal and just business. they have each others back during the show as well. also, Franklin gave every person on his team a nickname and Anthony's was "Blue Crush" (pun intended), but he thought it was too ridiculous so they shortened it down to "Crush".

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Well Dana said he thought it was a bad move and that he would probably get hurt even if he won the fight.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dana was just referring to the fight being a bad move for both fighters. his simple philosophy is to thin out the weak and leave the strongest at the end. it worked for Team Couture in the Bonnar/Southworth fight last year as that gave them momentum and ridding the whole "flawless victory" chants.

I'm curious on the "good news and bad news" deal that Burkman's going to throw at us next week. the bad news is that he's injured and can't continue. maybe the good news is that if he's healed up in time and somebody else gets injured, he is the alternate and can take their spot....so he's not completely gone.

can Luke Cummo levitate? that's a question I really wanted to ask Anthony Torres yesterday, but I was cut off

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would I know this JVF?

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    depends if you keep up on little to mid-card shows like WEC. it just turned out that I recognized the tatt's for next weeks commercial as I have one of JVF's fights on dvd

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would I know this JVF?
    how'd I do on the call?

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah it was Jason something or another from Liddel's camp. Hughes gave him one hell of a workout when he tried to be a badass. He is already rubbing people the wrong way.

That fight last night sucked. The guy that lost should have not fought and just gone home. He was going home win or lose anyway due to his injury. Stupid.

These guys seem more injury prone than the last group.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    these fighters this season have had way more fights combined than last seasons. everybody on the show now is a journeyman....besides what's his face that quit on episode 1 because he couldn't handle it. every guy on the show has a legitimate shot at winning their respective contracts, but you are right, they are injury prone. these guys have fought there way through Gladiator Challenge, KOTC, WEC, Superbrawl, and many other smaller promotions to get to this point. everybody is banged up and it's to be expected. also, Couture's challenges are only going to get more intense and it looks likes next weeks challenge the monkey bars could lead to another possible injury.

also, this seasons crop of fighters are more skilled and talented as season 1. you've had the select few on season 1, but this season, man oh man can these guys fight....especially the WW's. HW's, it's iffy now because we've only seen 1 fight and it was 2 injured fighters. wait til Dan Christison, Mike Whitehead, and Keith Jardine step in there, you'll see some fighting.

as for Jason Von Flue, the Cena "you can't see me" shit needs to go. he's 30 fucking years old and he's acting like a 15 year old high school kid who's trying to act cool infront of his friends, the only problem is that he doesn't have friends. he didn't impress Christison, Hughes, or Jorge with his Cena crap. he wanted to be the tough guy, so Hughes pushed him to the brink and like Hughes was saying, he was a drama queen about it....more than Kenny Stevens, who was eliminated on episode 1 because he couldn't make weight. Von Flue will probably be the fighter chosen to fight for Team Hughes next week....win or lose the challenge....and he'll fight either Marcus or Jorge

as for Rob McCullough, when he said that he wasn't going to use the shoulder as an excuse, that's cool....but he had a reason to once his shit got seperated and rolled down to his bicep. a guy that posts on another forum is a training partner of his and said that he's won numerous grappling events in canada, but he sure didn't seem like a grappling/sub wiz. he should have let go of the guillotine when nothing was happening as he was only wasting energy and giving Imes time to rest and regain his composure. the triangle that Imes used was ugly, slow, and could have easily been avoided. all Rob had to do was back away or get his other arm in there to block the triangle. maybe he got into panic mode due to his injury, but it wasn't locked in all the way and Imes was using his injured right knee as the main leg in the triangle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Burkman is going to have a good career after his victory on the show. He had great speed and escaped some pretty deep guillotine chokes. High pain tolerance. Broke him arm midmatch and then rallied until the end to score a victory. Whether he got kicked off the show or not.. this kid has a bright future.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe Burkman is training with Team Quest up in Oregon now. Randy Couture has left the team and is now training in Vegas. Evan Tanner left the team before winning the MW title. this leaves Leben, Horvich, Lindland (terminated from his UFC contract), Dan Henderson, Chael Sonnen, Art Santore, Ed Herman, and a handful of others to get Burkman UFC ready. the kid's classy as well. the whole Jeremy Horn incident was a minor misunderstanding. somebody told Horn that Burkman called some chick a bitch and spit on her to rile him up. after Horn beat Burkman, Horn spit on him while he was on the ground. what Horn heard was a lie and looked like a complete idiot in the end. Matt Hughes, one of Horn's training partners has no beef with Burkman as they are actually friends.

Burkman definately has a bright future and is huge for 170lbs....he cut down from 185 for TUF2. he just needs to work on his strikes and needs to be more active on the ground

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm picking Jorge to win the whole thing. For some reason, he's grown on me in this episode.

Can't stand Stevenson but that guy is monster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing that seems to stand out to me between season 1 and 2 or TUF is that this season's guys seem to have much less desire to become UFC fighters than last year's did. Every episode we have someone saying 'If I lose I'm going to go home and not fight anymore'. Bleh. The problem is these guys are all family guys.

Jorge looks like he wants it the most. I like Luke's approach. I'm hoping that as more guys get weeded out the intensity will ratchet up. Dana has clearly not been enjoying things this season either.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read a few possible spoilers so, if you want, click on the spoiler button and see

also, Bonnar's injury may be a blessing in disguise. Irvin is no slouch and would have given Bonnar hell standing. Bonnar is a balls to the walls type of fighter and is not scared to go toe to toe with anyone, which may have resulted in a KO loss against Irvin.

I truly enjoy this season more, due to the competition. last year, so many fighters moved up from 155 and 170 to compete for the 185 contract....because so many original fighters who was suppose to be on the show failed the initial screenings (drug test, physical, etc). this year, we have legit fighters at each weight class (besides Rashad and Keith both being natural LHW's). Jorge, Sam, Josh, and Joe are all very good and high profiled fighters. Dan, Mike, Keith, and Seth are all high profiled fighters as well. so the level of competition is much higher and gives the hardcore fans something to smile about. Last year, too predictable....besides Kenny getting in to the finals. this year, it's anybodys game due to injuries and others not coming in with their A-game. They all want it, but they're trying to be professional about it. Last year, it was all about "I can't wait to get in the cage so I can kill somebody". this year, it's all about "I'm going in, but it's nothing personal"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, how disappointing. By the looks of his intensity and the way he carried himself, I would have thought Jorge would have easily destroyed Jason.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, Jorge is a natural lightweight/155lbs and Jason is a natural middleweight/185lbs. Just like Melvin/Josh during the first fight, Melvin is a natural lightweight and Josh is a natural middleweight. Reach was just too much to overcome for the smaller, shorter, and injured fighter. His mobility was shot the moment his knee buckled (2 times I believe). Jason impressed me though, sloppy, but full of heart. I have 3 of Jason's fights on dvd (IFC X, IFC XII, and WEC 7) and he was not impressive at all. Last night, the obnoxious guy disappeared and a more serious, intense, and dedicated Von Flue showed up. It's hard to dislike the guy after his pre-fight comments. He wasn't talking smack, he was speaking the truth.

2 things I expect next week....no spoilers

1. Either Jason or Luke will be sent to team Franklin
    2. If team Franklin wins the challenge, expect them to have Mike from Team Hughes fight....Either Keith or Seth vs. Mike, preferably Keith

The reason why I think Mike will be picked is because he is a friend and training partner of Matt Hughes. Hughes had one of his fighters take out Franklin's best friend and training partner, Jorge. I expect some payback as the competition picks up and Franklin's HW's continue to dominate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Irish Kamikaze, do you think Gurgel could have taken Joe?

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I don't think he can. Joe is just too big, strong, skilled, and a better wrestler. Joe has fought from 155lbs all the way to 205lbs and has won a championship in almost all of the weight classes. Jorge would be good against a fighter his size, but Joe would be able to control him on the ground and Jorge would be fighting on his back the entire fight. With Jorge's bum knee, he'd have a tough time sinking in a triangle choke. Joe is well versed in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, he'd be able to avoid the armbar, guillotine, and anything else Jorge can and would throw in his direction. Joe is also good enough standing to keep Jorge at bay before each and every takedown/slam. The only fighter left in competition that can give Joe some competition is Sam Morgan, but I don't think he'd be able to beat Joe either

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some good finishes thus far on UFN. Fickett landed a very awkward looking knee, I think he was setting up for a left roundhouse, but connected with the knee instead. Vera landed a very solid knee as well against Scherner and he may be the next Mike Kyle/Tito Ortiz....shittalker but can back it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great fight night. Great way to showcase the UFC. I'm really getting into this stuff.

Leben was impressive. You think Koshcheck's still got his number?

Main event was amazing. Loiseau has great back defense (I thought Tanner would have taken him on numerous occasions) and very impressive striking. I like seeing those high kicks connect.

Who is your favorite for the Heavyweights for UF2? I heard Whitehead is supposed to be a monster.

I forgot to mention Hughs' powerbomb-like knockout. Awesome!
    Last edited by P Dandy; October 5th, 2005 at 10:07 PM.