Page 5 of 170 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: MMA Thread

Cruiserweight Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Kamikaze
    They can't risk not to do the fight at the moment. Both are coming off losses....one being razor thin, the other being lackluster.

Also, I don't think Dana thinks that Liddell/Babalu will sell alone. Yeah, Liddell has sold ppv's before, but those fights were against Tito and Couture. Babalu is a whole new element to the non-casual MMA fan. But the new fans do recognize Forrest/Bonnar and have seen their first fight. That will be the fight they will buy the ppv to see....like Tito/Shamrock. People didn't order the ppv because of Arlovski/Sylvia III
    I disagree. Bonnar has been awful the last 2-3 fights. He lost to Rashard Evans and he definitely lost to Jardine even though he won by decision. This is probably Bonnar's last big fight and if he loses, which most likely he will, I don't see him on another UFC PPV for awhile.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafael122 View Post
    I disagree. Bonnar has been awful the last 2-3 fights. He lost to Rashard Evans and he definitely lost to Jardine even though he won by decision. This is probably Bonnar's last big fight and if he loses, which most likely he will, I don't see him on another UFC PPV for awhile.
    When has Bonnar ever competed on a UFC ppv?

Cam Neely is a pussy Jobber to the stars's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like Cro Cop might be coming to America (In the WFA):

JL: you've mentioned in many occasions that you'd love to fight in the usa?

MCC: i'll fight there soon, maybe even this year in october, but not under pride or ufc, but under another organization who have just started their business, their offer is excellent and i'll very likely accept it

http://mma.blog.hr/arhiva-2006-07.html#1621351156

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Slaughter Within View Post
    Get mine for free......... But if I were to pay, it would have to be a damn good card on tap....
    You're a fighter?

Team Bushido MMA The Slaughter Within's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [
    You're a fighter?
    I used to be one a few years back, retired from injuries, and getting a Job with the one brach of service that doesn't understand MMA. All of my fights were pretty much underground in So. Cal. in 1996-1997.

Now....

I coach/manage a small team in Georgia and run a school. We have some sponsors and I have had many opportunnities to make contacts all around the MMA world. The best way to get to know people in the fight world is going to local / independent fights & sadly enough MySpace. One of the friends I've made on MySpace runs his own fight apparel company and gets into all the UFCs free (won't tell me how). But on the occasion I can take leave long enough, he gets me in. However, the planets and stars have only aligned once for that to happen.

The Pic in my sig is from a fight a couple of my guys fought in last year. I'm the one on the steps w/ tan camo shorts.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobber to the stars View Post
    It looks like Cro Cop might be coming to America (In the WFA):

JL: you've mentioned in many occasions that you'd love to fight in the usa?

MCC: i'll fight there soon, maybe even this year in october, but not under pride or ufc, but under another organization who have just started their business, their offer is excellent and i'll very likely accept it

http://mma.blog.hr/arhiva-2006-07.html#1621351156
    wonder if WFA sent him an offer. They seem to have tonnes of cash.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    speaking of, is anyone here going to order this weekend's WFA "King of the Streets"?

Kimo pulled out of the Rutten fight, btw (tested positive for anabolic steroids )....and I haven't heard of a replacement. Bad news for WFA.

Rampage vs Lindland should be decent though.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamstar View Post
    speaking of, is anyone here going to order this weekend's WFA "King of the Streets"?

Kimo pulled out of the Rutten fight, btw (tested positive for anabolic steroids )....and I haven't heard of a replacement. Bad news for WFA.
    Wes Sims is currently the replacement, but there are rumors going around that Kevin Randleman will be replacing Sims

Also, Jason "Mayhem" Miller was on the local ESPN AM station yesterday and talked a little about his upcoming fight against Sincaid. He said he's tired of fighting goons and has a 3 fight contract with WFA. Their fight is at 205lbs and he said he feels very fat/heavy at this weight. He prefers fighting at MW/185 and said he looked like Skeletor at WW/170

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sherdog is reporting that Sims pulled out to fight on a Ryan Bennett benefit card next week and that Ruben "Warpath" Villareal (A pro wrestler/MMA) will now be Kimo's replacement.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=5085

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wonder if WFA sent him an offer. They seem to have tonnes of cash.
    That seems to be the consensus among MMA fans on the internet.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sherdog....ewwwwwwww *shivers*

#HandicapHero Greg Iron Kronedog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should have the Ultimate Fighter winners fight on the pay-per-view. Have something like Mike Bisping vs. Matt Hamill. The fight that we all wanted to see, but never got a chance to thanks to that damn arm...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sherdog forums are a fucking mess, but it's great that you can get away with saying anything except for actual insults about the fighters.

And it's all wannabe MMA guys, so they all think they're mad tough and pick fights with each other on the website.

Great stuff.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I left sherdog a long long time ago....but I put my stamp on that place. If you're a member, just do a member search on Bishop....that' me, "eatin' da puddin'

I now post at the BEST MMA forum around

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kronedog21 View Post
    They should have the Ultimate Fighter winners fight on the pay-per-view. Have something like Mike Bisping vs. Matt Hamill. The fight that we all wanted to see, but never got a chance to thanks to that damn arm...
    why would you have a fight that everybody wants to see right away? Build up Hamill as a monster, let Bisping cement his spot as one of the top 5 LHW's in the division....then let them tear their heads off when they are at their highest peak

#HandicapHero Greg Iron Kronedog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you are right Kamikaze, but it almost looks like you were talking about wrestling. How can you build up Hamill as a monster unless you feed him to really weak people. Plus even with that, there is a chance that Hamill could lose and we wouldn't get the undefeated match that we (or at least I) want to see. However, I do see where you are comming from. Still, I just want to get Hamill on a pay-per-view...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My question is, when is Tito getting his title shot? Who else does he really need to fuckin' beat?

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kronedog21 View Post
    Well, you are right Kamikaze, but it almost looks like you were talking about wrestling. How can you build up Hamill as a monster unless you feed him to really weak people. Plus even with that, there is a chance that Hamill could lose and we wouldn't get the undefeated match that we (or at least I) want to see. However, I do see where you are comming from. Still, I just want to get Hamill on a pay-per-view...
    The UFC has gambled and sometimes it has paid off. Of course there is the chance of Hamill losing before the fight happens, but then there's the chance that he doesn't....which will help increase the fight for drawing power. Think of Hamill fighting others like Liddell fighting Babalu the first time, Vernon White, and others before he got his legit title shot. He gambled and it paid off in the end....and look at how marketable and how huge Liddell is today.

If there is 1 fight that I myself would love to see is Bisping vs. Forrest

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babalu doesn't need a title shot, Tito does!

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
    My question is, when is Tito getting his title shot? Who else does he really need to fuckin' beat?
    Tito's next title shot is rumored to happen on February 3rd, 2007....Super Bowl Saturday event

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babalu doesn't need a title shot, Tito does!
    yeah, let's just totally by-pass the whole idea of making Babalu the #1 contender and give the shot to somebody else

Tito should just sit back and wait for his shot, it'll come....for now, I don't know who else he could/should fight because he only has 1 fight left on his contract....reserved for Liddell

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice.

Rickson by armbar.

Intercontinental Champion P Dandy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice.

Rickson by armbar.
    Haha, nice. Other overused Sherdog forum quotes: "War _fighter_" and the word "nuthugger."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The War ________ isn't just Sherdog, but it's highly overused......
    The whole War _______ is'nt bad either, if used within reason, all it is is just a big Jim Rome thing from his radio show that for some reason caught on with the MMA scene, and the so called hardcore fans on sherdog.

I don't think you can get anymore hardcore then in a Pro-Wrestling forum.....

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WFA results....

I'm sure the next show they put together will be loaded with big name fighters and I'm sure the announced fights will stick this time around....don't want too many late replacement fights

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Slaughter Within View Post
    The War ________ isn't just Sherdog, but it's highly overused......
    The whole War _______ is'nt bad either, if used within reason, all it is is just a big Jim Rome thing from his radio show that for some reason caught on with the MMA scene, and the so called hardcore fans on sherdog..
    I don't think I have ever used the term seriously....sarcastically, why of course, I think

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here, especially when I get on the Rome radio show, god I'm hated, but I think the worst feedback was when I gave a War Ballsy Anti-Raider fan in the middle of one of his Raider Nation tirades.....

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nuthugger is a good word, though.

It's like a cooler version of the term "mark" used in the wrestling forums.

Rickson by armbar got immensely annoying after a while. I was using Giant Silva by log at one point, but it never really stuck.

What the fuck was up with that anyhow? Did he really intend to use a big stick against someone?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This ought to be retitled as an MMA thread, not just for the UFC.

Lindland and Jackson had a vicious fight, I hear, wish I could've seen it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nuthugger is a good word, though.

It's like a cooler version of the term "mark" used in the wrestling forums.

Rickson by armbar got immensely annoying after a while. I was using Giant Silva by log at one point, but it never really stuck.

What the fuck was up with that anyhow? Did he really intend to use a big stick against someone?
    Was Rickson Gracie actually that dominant or is the constant use of "Rickson by armbar" just a sarcastic joke. I was wondering because the guy is like 50 but that quote is still being posted.
    Last edited by P Dandy; July 24th, 2006 at 6:59 PM.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering guys, I noticed that Pride is shown on Fox Sports Net on my dish. Is it worth getting? I used to have all the fox's on my dish for college football season, but got rid of it. I am yet to see a Pride show on tv, and am interested in it. I got a few vids off the net of Wandy, and Crocop. I know Wandy is comming to eat Chuck later this year, but are these guys regulars on the Fox show?

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by P Dandy View Post
    Was Rickson Gracie actually that dominant or is the constant use of "Rickson by armbar" just a sarcastic joke. I was wondering because the guy is like 50 but that quote is still being posted.
    "Rickson by Armbar" is reference to his 2 wins over Takada

"Rickson by RNC" just doesn't have a good ring

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rutten won via low kicks (either TKO or submission from them) not a leg lock

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Kamikaze View Post
    "Rickson by Armbar" is reference to his 2 wins over Takada

"Rickson by RNC" just doesn't have a good ring
    Ok I see. On the Sherdog forums, they will be talking about something unrelated to the Gracies and all of sudden some guy would post something random like "Rickson by armbar." Just got me curious.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rickson Gracie claims to have won some absurd amount of fights like 2,000 or something.

Someone actually once calculated how many fights he would have to have been in, and the general consensus at Sherdog seemed to end up being that he was including any time he beat someone in just grappling, or any other thing like that, and also just rolling with students during class sparring.

Also, I started doing BJJ at school, and the dude I train with is working with Tom Murphy right now getting ready for his UFC fight. I'm trying to get into shape to help one of my friends train for Mass. Destruction in September, but hopefully I can end up sparring and rolling with some of these dudes at this other school.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I see. On the Sherdog forums, they will be talking about something unrelated to the Gracies and all of sudden some guy would post something random like "Rickson by armbar." Just got me curious.
    It's a joke, because Rickson claims to have won these massive amounts of fights, but never really fought any top guys yet still thinks he is unbeatable by anyone.

It's a gimmick to mystify the Gracie name and get them more money. "Oh, the guy who won like 4,000 fights and never lost! I want to train with them!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chino-xl View Post
    I'm wondering guys, I noticed that Pride is shown on Fox Sports Net on my dish. Is it worth getting? I used to have all the fox's on my dish for college football season, but got rid of it. I am yet to see a Pride show on tv, and am interested in it. I got a few vids off the net of Wandy, and Crocop. I know Wandy is comming to eat Chuck later this year, but are these guys regulars on the Fox show?
    I wouldn't increase my cable bill by adding the channel just for Pride---whenever I've watched it all of the matches are clipped which kind of sucks since it makes it more of a highlight reel than a match.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rickson claims to be 500-0....nice rounded off number. But realistically, he's 503-0

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rickson Gracie is the equivelant of Chuck Norris, except he makes up the facts himself.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Rickson's defense....he schooled Paulo Filho in sport BJJ a few months back. He literally schooled him in grappling. Without a doubt, the man is a legend in the grappling world, but we'll never see him in ADCC

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's definately an excellent grappler, but he's highly overrated, and I lose a lot of respect for him that he refuses to fight a lot of people for fear of losing his mystique as being undefeated.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's definately an excellent grappler, but he's highly overrated, and I lose a lot of respect for him that he refuses to fight a lot of people for fear of losing his mystique as being undefeated.
    I truly don't care. He was way ahead of his time and he knew when to bow out of the sport, unlike fighters like Ken Shamrock....who's in it for the buck. Rickson did his part for MMA/Vale Tudo/NHB during the Japan Vale Tudo tournaments in Japan which he won back to back years. Then he took out 2 of Japans top "stars" in Takada (2) and Funaki. You also have to remember that Rickson HELPED Pride with their launch to the top MMA organization in the world. Rickson/Takada put asses in the seats and they did it again the second time around. So there is no way to say he's overrated when we all know that he is truly dominant in sport BJJ, where he excels and what he focuses his life to. On top of all that, Sakuraba vs. Rickson is rumored for a K-1 Heroes card....expect Rickson via RNC

Also, "Choke" is one of the best MMA documentary's I have ever seen....light years ahead of "the Smashing Machine", "Rites of Passage", and "Life in the Cage"
    Last edited by Irish Kamikaze; July 29th, 2006 at 1:05 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not see Rickson beating Sakuraba.

And I never said he didn't do anything for the sport, I said he isn't as good a fighter as people make him out to be, and he uses that mystique to his and his family's advantage.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He'd choke Sakuraba out....or he'd turn him into Sloth, much like Arona did

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lesnar is officially training with MFS. I'm curious to see how well his amateur skills translate. I want to see him squash some cans first though.
    Last edited by P Dandy; July 31st, 2006 at 2:05 PM.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly see Lesnar as a bigger version of Travis Wiuff. Good take downs with good control, but a very weak chin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lesnar is going to do as much in UFC as he did with the Vikings.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintMeBloodRed View Post
    Lesnar is going to do as much in UFC as he did with the Vikings.
    That's the thing, he won't be in the UFC to begin with. WFA's got some deep pockets, so I wouldn't be suprised if he went there. Also, WEC if they are willing to throw some cash down. It'll be a while before Lesnar is ever in the UFC or if ever....depends on how well he does in the other organizations.

I'd really like to see him matched up against ground specialists and submission artists like Frank Mir, Jeff Monson, PDP, and Gabriel Gonzaga. Keep him away from the strikers (IE Sylvia, Arlovski, Vera, etc)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone give me info on Kid Yamamato. I'm most interested in knowing about this clip I saw of him wailing on this guy even though the refereee was trying to pull him off. Even when the ref was on him, he did this taunt which looked like I don't give a shit, I just want to kill this guy. Did he every get disciplined for that?

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Kid" Yamamoto is the current K-1 Heroes LW champion....even though he originally fights at 145lbs!! He's virtually undefeated except for losing via cut, much like Fedor. In my eyes, he's the #1 LW in the world, especially with Gomi taking a big and embarassing loss to "Maximus" Aurelio. Kid trains with the Killer Bee's and use to be running buddies with Enson, or may still be....I don't understand Japanese. He is a very strong wrestler with sub defense and subs....he possesses KO power in both his hands and has finished fights with his knees. I don't see a weak link in his game as he has held his own in K-1 Max in the past with a few wins and pushed Masato to the limit....while taking a few low blows. Oh, he also has a gorgeous wife

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, he also has a gorgeous wife
    I was wondering why in every one of his youtube matches, the cameramen always pan over to these women.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering why in every one of his youtube matches, the cameramen always pan over to these women.
    the other is his sister I believe

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad News for Pride:

This Croatian report indicates that Mirko Cro Cop is not working the PRIDE 9/10 Saitama Super Arena show. Sherdog claims it is a money issue.

This is a very bad sign for PRIDE, even if the end result (which is likely Yoshida filling in, creating yet another Yoshida vs. Silva match) will likely be better for business. Mirko has been awfully loyal to DSE on many big fights, and now suddenly once the Fuji TV deal is dead — he’s not so cooperative. Mirko vs. Silva was, on paper, a tremendous match (and one that I felt Mirko could win for sure). Silva vs. Yoshida is always fun, but the result is not really in question now. It’s certainly not fair to either Barnett or Nogueira.

The most interesting note in all of this story is that the Croatian report does indeed name the WFA as the promotion that made a big-money offer for Mirko to work in America in October. The rumors right now suggest that WFA is going to run their October show in Las Vegas, meaning Las Vegas in one month will have shows from WFA, PRIDE, and UFC. PRIDE, right now, looks to be the big loser in all of this.

link

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know why they can't have the winner of the reserve match (Sergei vs. Aleks) step in to face Silva later on the card.

Also, David Terrell has pulled out of the Okami fight for UFC 62.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He'd choke Sakuraba out....or he'd turn him into Sloth, much like Arona did
    Rickson would not choke out Sakuraba, and I would not go as far as to say he is as dangerous as Arona in the ring.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was the only time Arona has truly shined....against Sakuraba. Besides that, he's Filho Sr.

edit: Arona did have Rampage knocked out, but didn't follow up on it....should have slapped on the triangle instead of telling the ref that he's out, which Rampage came back to

Also, I have complete faith he'd choke Sakuraba out
    Last edited by Irish Kamikaze; August 6th, 2006 at 4:05 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know, even though he's done a lot in the sport, I consider him like Ken Shamrock.

Ken Shamrock couldn't have beaten a Chuck Lidell or Tito Ortiz no matter how young he was, these guys revolutionized the sport, but I would have to question how much Rickson's game has progressed as the sport evolved.

I guess Sakuraba isn't exactly in his prime, or was ever really the main man in the sport, though.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way I would see Sakuraba beating Rickson is if it was a 10-minute fight, much like Ryan Gracie fight back in....what was it? Pride 12? When Ryan had injured ribs and could only fight 1 round. Sakuraba has a knack in grappling with the Gracies, the much smaller Gracies....but Rickson isn't as big as the others, so I can throw that out the window. But no Gracie is up to Rickson's level. Rickson is the pinnacle of sport BJJ, but this is MMA....but Rickson has tremendous ground control and balance both from his back and on top. His striking isn't bad, but he lets his hands fly when he's on top, which he uses to set up for the RNC or armbar....hence, "Rickson via/by armbar"

Rickson is one of the only Gracies I'll defend in this day and age

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I give Royce credit for comming back against an established fighter rather than a can.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you talking about Royce fighting Hughes? If so, you do know he took the fight for the paycheck right?

Also, Royce went to a draw against Tokoro, a featherweight....but Tokoro won that fight unofficially

I give credit to Renzo and Rodrigo for stepping there against top competition and being gracious in defeat

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Royce may have took the fight for a paycheck, which I agree he did, but he could've very well took another fight against a lesser fighter for a bit of a price cut.

The Gracie's hold their legacy in high regard, so any risk to tarnish it is going to be worth a hefty dollar.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Royce may have took the fight for a paycheck, which I agree he did, but he could've very well took another fight against a lesser fighter for a bit of a price cut.

The Gracie's hold their legacy in high regard, so any risk to tarnish it is going to be worth a hefty dollar.
    No way would Dana have let Royce fight anybody else. The whole idea of Royce fighting Hughes was to build Hughes up and to make him a legend. Dana used Royce to make Hughes look like a monster.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know why they can't have the winner of the reserve match (Sergei vs. Aleks) step in to face Silva later on the card.
    That's not really fair to Barnett and Nog though to have Silva face a guy who has already fought once that night.

No way would Dana have let Royce fight anybody else. The whole idea of Royce fighting Hughes was to build Hughes up and to make him a legend. Dana used Royce to make Hughes look like a monster.
    Yep, pro wrestling booking in MMA. It was the same with Shamrock versus Franklin on Ultimate Fight Night or whatever the hell it was called.

Anyway, I see that Pride and 2H2H are running a joint promotion in Holland and the main event is Gilbert Yvel versus Alistair Overeem. Does anyone know if Yvel still on the, "If you don't stand and trade with me, you're a coward and a pussy, so I don't need to even bother working on my ground game or submission defense" fighting logic?

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobber to the stars View Post
    That's not really fair to Barnett and Nog though to have Silva face a guy who has already fought once that night.

Anyway, I see that Pride and 2H2H are running a joint promotion in Holland and the main event is Gilbert Yvel versus Alistair Overeem. Does anyone know if Yvel still on the, "If you don't stand and trade with me, you're a coward and a pussy, so I don't need to even bother working on my ground game or submission defense" fighting logic?
    It's not fair to Nog/Barnett, but in the same sense, it's not Silva's fault that CroCop may not compete. Roman Zentsov, the GP's reserve fighter has been dropped completely from the entire GP picture, so it's not fair to him either. I'm not sure, but if they hold a Bushido card before the GP, they could have Aleks/Sergei fight one another there to see who gets the spot in the final four.

I think I read somewhere that Yvel pulled out of the fight against Alistair. Yvel has been working on his ground game and won a submission tournament in Holland a year or so ago....but then looked like crap against Minowa. If Yvel wants to stand and trade, he should ask for another shot in K-1 so he could get low kicked to another KO loss, much like his fight against Ray Sefo.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a bushido card being held in August but are they going to be big enough draws to replace Cro Crop? Why has Zentsov been dropped completely? I have seen his name mentioned around the net as a possible replacement.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was the reserve fighter for the GP, then all of a sudden, Sergei/Aleks have been thrown together for the reserve spot....meaning Zentsov has been removed from said position in the tournament.

Honestly, I'd like for Zentsov vs. Nastula to be the reserve fight to see who gets in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like Tito-Shamrock 3 is on. This time it will probably be on a UFN.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just read that....October 10th. Question is: why?

Either they really want Ortiz's contract to end (3-fight deal) or they really believe Shamrock will put up a fight this time around around

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly, I thought the agreement was that if he wins his first two fights, he'll get a title shot. At least that is what I remember him saying in an interview. If it is true then he got gipped. I'm guessing they decided to hold off on it because he didn't win his fight with Forrest decisively.

To be fair to Shamrock though, I think it was an early stoppage but the outcome would have been the same. I mean in their first fight, Ken got his face bashed in for 3 rounds and was still conscious.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CroCop's agreed to terms with Pride and will face Silva in the GP

edit: it's in Croation, but people on another board got the gist of it

http://www.vecernji-list.hr/newsroom...05988/index.do
    Last edited by Irish Kamikaze; August 7th, 2006 at 3:08 PM.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like Tito-Shamrock 3 is on. This time it will probably be on a UFN.
    ugh

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ugh
    on the bright side, it's on Spike and BJ Penn is also fighting on the card....along with Bisping and Hamill. Very solid card.

I'm thankful to get to see Shamrock get smashed 2 times on Spike for free

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry, haven't looked or anything, but who is being fed to BJ ?

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    still noted as BJ Penn vs. TBD. I also don't know which weight division he'll be fighting in. He has said that he would like to fight in the LW division, but it'll be based on who his opponent is.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From memory, I believe this is Tito's 3rd instalment on fulfilling his current 3-fight contract with UFC. Does anyone know how compensation is realized with respect to this particular contract? Basic fee per fight (ie 300K/fight) or are there supplementary residuals/royalties on top of the basic fee when the fight is seen via PPV?

I'm assuming Ken vs Tito III will be available via "free-tv" so I guess royalties are out of the question. I guess i'm just a bit curious to Tito's current direction with the company. Has he signed an extension to his current contract already? Why would he take another easy fight if he wants to seriously ramp up for a potential title fight against Liddell (assuming he's still holding the gold by years-end). He should be challenging "top-5" contender-type fighters, imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bisping fighting? Suhweeet!

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm assuming Ken vs Tito III will be available via "free-tv" so I guess royalties are out of the question. I guess i'm just a bit curious to Tito's current direction with the company. Has he signed an extension to his current contract already? Why would he take another easy fight if he wants to seriously ramp up for a potential title fight against Liddell (assuming he's still holding the gold by years-end). He should be challenging "top-5" contender-type fighters, imo.
    I'm not for certain if he has signed a contract extention, if not, WFA is his next stop. Also, the 3rd fight on his 3-fight contract was to fight against Liddell at Super Saturday next January, but that has pretty much been scrapped. Also, this would only take place if Liddell was still champ....much like Liddell vs. Vanderlei.

They should reward Tito though. He fought and beat Forrest with a bummed knee, then he put away Shamrock quickly....but to be punished to having to face him once again in a trilogy that makes no sense....but it's free tv, which will only help with the ratings. Instead of Shamrock, I'd rather see Tito fight Rashad

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does he definitely want to fight Liddell though, I vaguely remember his "we're friends and promised never to fight each other" stuff before eventually losing to him back in the day.

But I really have to wonder why the hell Shamrock wants to continue to get his ass beat like this. Does he really need the money or something because he just keeps coming back for more and more of these beatings. It's kind of sad that he's gone from the world's dangerous man to the world's most dangerous can, especially for me since I used to be a mark for the guy in the WWE.

And I'm with you Kamikaze, I'd much rather see Rashad get his ass beat than Shamrock at this point.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Liddell and Ortiz are no longer friends. Also, Ortiz challenged Liddell after the last Shamrock fight

I'm back....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought BJ Penn was gonna fight on the UFC 63 card. But if he's fighting at lightweight, this division will officially be deepest division in UFC. Sherk, Pulver, Franca, Edwards, Fisher, now Penn, and up and comers like Florian and Guillard. I hope the UFC know what they have and keep it going. Who knows, maybe Josh Thomsen and Rob McCullough might be lured in, maybe even a Japanese LW or two.

It's also complete BS for the UFC to put together yet another fight between Tito and Shamrock. The first two wins were decisive, whether or not you thought the stoppage was a bit too soon. This is like the UFC version of Silva pounding Sakuraba three fights in a row.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brandon Vera vs. Frank Mir has been announced for UFC 62

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a stepping stone for Vera. I like Mir but I don't know if he'll get back to pre-accident form. Kinda sad to see this happening.
    Last edited by P Dandy; August 8th, 2006 at 6:18 PM.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "New Poster Boy" vs. "Old Poster Boy"

oops, correction....turns out Vera will be on his honeymoon or is about to go on a honeymoon. This fight will take place at UFC 65
    Last edited by Irish Kamikaze; August 8th, 2006 at 9:41 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Liddell versus Silva might be off:

It appears the much-anticipated mixed martial arts bout between rival champions Chuck Liddell and Wanderlei Silva, scheduled for November, might be off.

"I don't even know if Silva's going to happen," said Dana White, president of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. He cited problems in dealing with the Japan-based Pride Fighting Championships that is home to Silva.

White said UFC 65 will instead probably feature Liddell against Tito Ortiz in a rematch of UFC 47 in 2004.

http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/OtherS...44255-sun.html

I don't know, it seems kind of stupid for Dana White to have announced the match on ppv and got people excited about it, if he didn't actually have Silva locked down for the ppv.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dana did say "if Liddell beats Babalu". Even though that is no longer the consideration, he threw in the one big word "IF"....as in "if this does happen....". I'm just excited that Liddell vs. Ortiz II just may happen and Ortiz may get an extension in his contract

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dana did say "if Liddell beats Babalu". Even though that is no longer the consideration, he threw in the one big word "IF"....as in "if this does happen....". I'm just excited that Liddell vs. Ortiz II just may happen and Ortiz may get an extension in his contract
    Yeah, but the presumption was that if Liddell lost to Babalu, Silva would face Babalu.

Instead, it might have just turned out to be something that got the fans worked up and a free advertisement for Pride FC and no delivery from The UFC. Ortiz Liddell II is a good replacement probably the best they can do but it's still dissapointing to get people's hopes of seeing an "interpromotional fight" and then to no pull the trigger on it.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worst case scenario of all is Babalu (c) vs. Shamrock for the LHW title. Ortiz vs. Liddell II deserves to be 5-rounds, but I'm pulling for Babalu to choke Liddell out....I'm sick of hearing Liddell in his post fight interviews about which club he's going to. I just want to hear Babalu yell "I gaw my fah-kin belt!"

I think Silva vs. Liddell is the only fight they planned. If Liddell loses to Babalu, then the fight would have been scrapped....though Babalu vs. Silva would have a good build up as Babalu choked out Silva's teammate Shogun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just bought my first Pride DVD and I am very happy with it. It is the collection with Pride 12-16.

I saw some other PPV event DVDs at BestBuy but I refrained from buying them and went with a safe choice. I don't want to be buying the "Great American Bash" of Pride DVDs. What PPV do you recommend?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JAROTO View Post
    Somebody knows if UFC 37.5: Belfrot vs Liddell was released on DVD?
    Nope but its on VHS I have it on VHS since I got it off the UFC store.

I'm a sparring partner of Joe Riggs although he sucks lol.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just bought my first Pride DVD and I am very happy with it. It is the collection with Pride 12-16.

I saw some other PPV event DVDs at BestBuy but I refrained from buying them and went with a safe choice. I don't want to be buying the "Great American Bash" of Pride DVDs. What PPV do you recommend?
    Shockwave 2004 and 2005, Final Conflict 2004, PRIDE 31-Dreamers, PRIDE 26- Bad to the Bone.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What PPV do you recommend?
    Pride 19: Bad Blood, Pride 25: Body Blow, Final Conflict 2003, Critical Countdown 2004, Critical Countdown 2005

I'm back....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I'd like to see Babalu beat Chuck, setting up a title match in November between Babalu and Tito Ortiz. The big complaint I see on MMA boards are that UFC are booking too many rematches. UFC 62s two big matches are rematches themselves, as is the main event for UFC 63 (a rematch that everyone is waiting for. Babalu vs. Ortiz is a completely fresh and interesting matchup that should be very interesting to watch for those who are into ground fighting. The winner of that match would undoubtedly get Liddell for the pre-Super Bowl event, either Babalu/Liddell III or Ortiz/Liddell II, for the title of course. I just think in the long run, a Babalu win in a few weeks would be the better thing for the UFC, as it lengthens the LHW elite contender depth chart, and gives them time to build up new contenders (Griffin, Bisping, Evans, Lambert, possibly Vera) or sign new ones (the return of Vitor, or signing Rampage). It could be genesis of the return of the deep LHW division of just 2-3 years ago with the foursome of Ortiz, Liddell, Couture, and Belfort.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've already pointed it out as the LHW division isn't as deep as some people may think. Yes, they have alot of fighters competing in the division, but how many of them are former TUF cast members? Until there is more depth, we're gonna continue to have rematches because no other LHW can fill the bill and put the asses in the seats.

Expect Lambert to be thrown into a #1 contenders match sometime early next year. He's boss and has been pretty dominant (besides the first round against Terry Martin). Bisping and Rashad should be in the title hunt by next summer or fall.

You are also correct that Babalu vs. Ortiz is something fresh and could be the best thing for the UFC's LHW division now. Joe Silva will have his hands full in matchmaking if Babalu wins *crosses fingers*

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's official. Brock Lesnar has signed with K-1 Heroes as the announcement was made during the K-1 Las Vegas event that happened tonight

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, considering K-1 is predominately striking, I don't know if Brock will have a chance against anyone of a decent caliber right away. He is a natural athlete though, so who knows?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus, he's fucking massive and must be hugely strong.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, considering K-1 is predominately striking, I don't know if Brock will have a chance against anyone of a decent caliber right away. He is a natural athlete though, so who knows?
    Brock vs. Akiyama would be a huge money making fight for their New Years show....I'm sure this fight will happen sooner or later if it doesn't happen during the NYE show. Also, don't expect Sapp vs. Brock. For those who didn't know, Sapp walked out on K-1 during a show in Holland and Sapp refused to fight Hoost on the day of the fight. Brock is K-1's new US import

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slightly off-topic, but...

They've been promoting "Fight Science" for some time now on the National Geographic Channel. In case anyone is interested, it premieres on Sunday, August 20th, and looks to be tremendous.

http://www9.nationalgeographic.com/c...nce/index.html

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read in a Leben interview that if Swick wins his fight against Loiseau, Swick is next in line for a MW title shot. The contenders are stacking up for the title: Anderson Silva, Mike Swick*, Nate Marquardt

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Irish....any idea when the fight with Cro Cop and Wandi is? I'm sure it's PPV, but I'm interested in getting the fight. I've went to Prides site, but must be missing it.