Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pride Final Conflict Absolute - September 10

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool, also is the dude they call shogun, and Fedor gonna be on there? It sounds a bit silly, I'm pure UFC, and have never seen Pride except from what I download on the net.

Intercontinental Champion P Dandy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chino-xl View Post
    cool, also is the dude they call shogun, and Fedor gonna be on there? It sounds a bit silly, I'm pure UFC, and have never seen Pride except from what I download on the net.
    I think Rua still is recovering from a broken arm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished the 5 events in Pride Legacy 3. The HW fights are night and day compared to the ones in UFC. The agression level is so high that you can't help but get into it. On top of that I haven't even gotten into any Fedor fights yet and I've only seen 2 Nog matches (only the beginning of his ascent).

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just watch the Coleman vs. Shogun fight, I got it off the net, all in Japanese, but I assume when coleman got the takedown, Shogun broke his arm? After that the shit hit the fan, Wandi stormed the ring and everyone was brawling. These guys have a rematch don't they, in Vegas?

After watching this one, I'm going out to buy Pride DVD's. I'm way, way behind. Any suggestions on DVD's to purchase?

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by P Dandy View Post
    I think Rua still is recovering from a broken arm.
    Shogun is scheduled to be on the October/Las Vegas card

believe it or not, my favorite HW Pride fight of all time is still Fujita vs. "teh Hawt-one" Takayama from Pride 14....the crowd was so hot for that fight and those 2 were non-stop

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After watching this one, I'm going out to buy Pride DVD's. I'm way, way behind. Any suggestions on DVD's to purchase?
    Start off with the Legacy collections....I prefer Legacy III for starters as the first Pride events were "blah"....no denying that. If you have some cash, get the 2004 and 2005 Critical Countdown events, always the best cards each year. Also, Body Blow (25) and Final Conflict 2003 were solid cards.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UFC FIGHT NIGHT: AUGUST 17

Main Card Bouts:
    -Karo Parisyan vs. Diego Sanchez
    -Dean Lister vs. Yuki Sasaki
    -Josh Koscheck vs. Jonathan Goulet
    -Chris Leben vs. Jorge Santiago

Preliminary Bouts:
    -Joe Riggs vs. Jason Von Flue
    -Sam Morgan vs. Forrest Petz
    -Anthony Torres vs. Pat Healy
    -Jake O'Brien vs. Kristof Midoux
    -Crafton Wallace vs. Martin Kampmann

my pics in bold
    Last edited by Jamstar; August 17th, 2006 at 12:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Kamikaze View Post

believe it or not, my favorite HW Pride fight of all time is still Fujita vs. "teh Hawt-one" Takayama from Pride 14....the crowd was so hot for that fight and those 2 were non-stop
    Yes that is a good fight. Takayama can take a punch (or a hundred). I saw the Don Frye match. The punishment Takayama took was insane. I felt bad for him. Legacy 3 is very good. Well it got me hooked at least. Not to say there weren't some clunkers in that set as well. The Goodridge vs some wrestler fight was horrible. He kept trying to shoot but he kept doing it chest level and it looked like he was afraid to get hit. There was another match where this former pro-wrestler was afraid of being hit so he just charged his opponent and hugged him for 3 rounds.

The set also has the debut of Ninja in a brilliant match.

Legacy 3 also made me a huge Saku fan.
    Last edited by P Dandy; August 17th, 2006 at 5:56 PM.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wanted to say thanks for the suggestion, I had my wife pick me up the Legacy volume 3 this morning, been watching it all day. Wandy, is a bad mofo. First time I've seen a Pride fight, besides clips off the net, well worth it, cannot wait til the weekend to buy more DVD'S!

This is the second time in as many days I've seen a fight with Coleman that ends and than a brawl insues.

BTW, what's a good buy that has Cro Cop on it, and is his fight with Fedor good?

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Legacy 3 also made me a huge Saku fan.
    I'm not going to lie, I'm not a fan of Sakuraba. I never really got on the bandwagon or got into his fights. Some say that Royce/Sakuraba is one of the greatest fights of all time, but who has seriously sat through the entire 90 minute fight without being bored? It's like an ironman match with alot of stalemates. It's an overrated fight, it gets more credit for being 90 minutes then for the action. The only fight of his I truly enjoyed are vs. Renzo and vs. Rampage.

UFN was pretty good tonight....about to watch it again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, Diego and Karo was an amazing fight. Too bad Karo gassed by the third round, or I think he could have taken the decision.

Although I do think Diego deserved to win that fight with his impressive showing in the third round, I'm amazed (again) at the idiot judge who scored the fight 30-26

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm amazed that Lister won 30-27 on all 3 cards....I actually had it 29-28 for Sasaki as he stole round 2 at the end and did more than Lister in round 3

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm amazed that Lister won 30-27 on all 3 cards....I actually had it 29-28 for Sasaki as he stole round 2 at the end and did more than Lister in round 3
    Same.

As far as Diego, I'm gaining a bit more respect for him, although I thought he lost his last fight with Allesio. But seriously, he'll be destroyed by Matt Hughes or GSP.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    30-26 though? That was a complete slap in Karo's face. I actually gave the fight 29-28 for Karo. Round 1 was won by Karo, Round 2 could have gone either way and I gave it to Karo, and Diego won Round 3. 29-28 Karo

I'm back....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too had it 29-28 for Karo, but Diego definitely turned heads with his performance in Round 3, something that would have garnered him a lot of respect had he lost. That last judge was on crack, because I don't think Karo was losing that bad in the last round. Either way, it was a great fight, definitely a fight of the year contender, and Diego finally has that big win over a credible opponent that ought to silence the TUF-haters for a little while. Also, props to Leben for coming back from the beating he took at the hands of Anderson Silva to knock out Jorge Santiago, to Riggs for bouncing back from a quick submission loss to Mike Swick with his own quick submission win over Jason Von Flue, and to Josh Koscheck for beating the holy hell out of Jonathan Goulet. Riggs/Koscheck should be a fight on one of the next few PPVs, and Diego deserves a fight with B.J. Penn, if not an outright shot at the winner of Hughes/GSP. It was definitely a good night for the TUF alumni, other than Von Flue of course.

The next UFC Fight Night can almost be a PPV, especially since Tito Ortiz and Penn are both fighting in it. I expect to see Bisping, Grove, and/or Herman get fights on this card.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, count me for scoring it 29-28 for Karo as well. However, when I saw how round 3 was going, I knew that they were going to give it to Diego. He looked really good at the end - he really poured it on in the last 15 seconds and made a good showing. He really looked like he could go two more rounds at that pace. I've got to give him respect for that. Even though I think he technically should have lost, I think he kind of deserved to win that fight.

I still don't think he's ready for someone like Matt Hughes or GSP, though, and his post fight interview seemed to hint that he felt he wasn't quite ready yet either. His standup seems to have improved, but he was still getting tagged pretty easily by Karo throughout the fight.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamstar View Post
    UFC FIGHT NIGHT: AUGUST 17

Main Card Bouts:
    -Karo Parisyan vs. Diego Sanchez
    -Dean Lister vs. Yuki Sasaki
    -Josh Koscheck vs. Jonathan Goulet
    -Chris Leben vs. Jorge Santiago

Preliminary Bouts:
    -Joe Riggs vs. Jason Von Flue
    -Sam Morgan vs. Forrest Petz
    -Anthony Torres vs. Pat Healy
    -Jake O'Brien vs. Kristof Midoux
    -Crafton Wallace vs. Martin Kampmann

my pics in bold

Shouldn't Diego be due up for a title fight pretty soon? He's been dominately tearing through his opponents with the only dent in his armor being the fact that he couldn't finish off his last opponent, but that's because he was running from Diego for half the bout.

I forgot that Karo and Diego had already met, but now that I think about it I did see the fight. I might've been slightly biased for Diego, but I'm fairly confident he controlled the fight, and I'm confident now he'll silence all naysayers. Whose weight class would he get a shot in, though? Matt Hughes? I'm not really possitive he could overcome Hughes. . . BJ Penn is a slick grappler with some pretty smart submissions and such. Royce had a couple pretty good moves that did well, but not enough to match Hughes' dominating strength. Though I'd put money down to assume Diego is much stronger than Royce, and a bit more of a natural athlete.
    Last edited by Mr. Fantastic; August 18th, 2006 at 9:29 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Yeah, count me for scoring it 29-28 for Karo as well. However, when I saw how round 3 was going, I knew that they were going to give it to Diego. He looked really good at the end - he really poured it on in the last 15 seconds and made a good showing. He really looked like he could go two more rounds at that pace. I've got to give him respect for that. Even though I think he technically should have lost, I think he kind of deserved to win that fight.

I still don't think he's ready for someone like Matt Hughes or GSP, though, and his post fight interview seemed to hint that he felt he wasn't quite ready yet either. His standup seems to have improved, but he was still getting tagged pretty easily by Karo throughout the fight.
    He seems to have a pretty strong jaw, though. Some fighters don't seem so worried about getting hit when they can take a decent punch, and I think we confuse that with them being unnable to get out of the way of it. Tito seems to be in the same respect, though it really backfired on him when it came to Chuck, though I'm not sure anyone would be wise to give that guy a chance to throw fists.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sasaki deserves mad credit for falling into Lister during round 2, and pretty much stayed his ground and made him wear himself out for most of the round, and got a few great shots off when Lister was gassed. They were all questioning his reason for dropping to the ground, while I found it as a new age rope-a-dope.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
    Shouldn't Diego be due up for a title fight pretty soon? He's been dominately tearing through his opponents with the only dent in his armor being the fact that he couldn't finish off his last opponent, but that's because he was running from Diego for half the bout.

I forgot that Karo and Diego had already met, but now that I think about it I did see the fight. I might've been slightly biased for Diego, but I'm fairly confident he controlled the fight, and I'm confident now he'll silence all naysayers. Whose weight class would he get a shot in, though? Matt Hughes? I'm not really possitive he could overcome Hughes. . . BJ Penn is a slick grappler with some pretty smart submissions and such. Royce had a couple pretty good moves that did well, but not enough to match Hughes' dominating strength. Though I'd put money down to assume Diego is much stronger than Royce, and a bit more of a natural athlete.
    I think Diego has now won the right to fight the winner of the Matt Hughes/George St. Pierre (whoever is holding the title), but i could be wrong.

Yeah, last nights event was pretty good, granted, I was pretty happy that I taped it (working) and watched it on my VCR at about midnight. So many goddammed commercials to fast-forward through, I bet it was pretty annoying to watch in real-time.

Absolutely loved the main event, as Karo & Diego put on a great show for us. I felt Diego soundly beat Karo, but i would've awarded Karo the second round. Karo's sub defence was pretty excellent, as Diego could've ended it pretty early in the first round after Karo got rocked. Loved the slo-mo of Karo's tooth flying out of his mouth after that vicious knee. Diego out-gassed Karo, which was defining in the 3rd. Diego is so relentless, it's amazing to watch.

Glad to have seen Joe Riggs get inserted to the "on-TV" lineup as a result of quick tv card matches, even though he outclassed poor Von Flue.

Leben keeps dropping people with those desperation haymakers and it works for him. Would've liked to see that match go more time but that's the way it goes. Santiago rattled Leben immediately with a nice punch and Leben couldn't do much to Santiago on the ground.

Wasn't impressed with the Lister fight at all. Lister feels a bit one-dimensional to me, and he'll get knocked out pretty quick once he fights someone with decent stand-up. He gassed-out pretty quick, but that may have been because he dropped a bunch of weight. Not sure.

Koscheck looked really impressive tonight.

All in all, thought it was a pretty decent event, for free TV

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So is this Liddel/Ortiz II being talked about for the next PPV? If not, does anyone know the projected card, of the next one and when it is going down?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Diego has now won the right to fight the winner of the Matt Hughes/George St. Pierre (whoever is holding the title), but i could be wrong.

Yeah, last nights event was pretty good, granted, I was pretty happy that I taped it (working) and watched it on my VCR at about midnight. So many goddammed commercials to fast-forward through, I bet it was pretty annoying to watch in real-time.

Absolutely loved the main event, as Karo & Diego put on a great show for us. I felt Diego soundly beat Karo, but i would've awarded Karo the second round. Karo's sub defence was pretty excellent, as Diego could've ended it pretty early in the first round after Karo got rocked. Loved the slo-mo of Karo's tooth flying out of his mouth after that vicious knee. Diego out-gassed Karo, which was defining in the 3rd. Diego is so relentless, it's amazing to watch.

Glad to have seen Joe Riggs get inserted to the "on-TV" lineup as a result of quick tv card matches, even though he outclassed poor Von Flue.

Leben keeps dropping people with those desperation haymakers and it works for him. Would've liked to see that match go more time but that's the way it goes. Santiago rattled Leben immediately with a nice punch and Leben couldn't do much to Santiago on the ground.

Wasn't impressed with the Lister fight at all. Lister feels a bit one-dimensional to me, and he'll get knocked out pretty quick once he fights someone with decent stand-up. He gassed-out pretty quick, but that may have been because he dropped a bunch of weight. Not sure.

Koscheck looked really impressive tonight.

All in all, thought it was a pretty decent event, for free TV

Wait, this was last night? I got my fights confused, I thought you were talking about a fight Diego and Karo had previously. I didn't actually see that fight, then. Not really sure who I'm thinking of now, perhaps Nick Diaz.

But I'm glad Diego won, he really should get a shot at the title if he thinks he's ready.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, it was last night - Ultimate Fight Night on Spike from 8-10pm. And then the newest season of TUF began afterwards 10-11pm.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really? I thought I was just watching a repeat and kept changing in and out. I really wanted to see the TUF4 premiere. That's what I get for doing. what. I. do.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not a fight expert by any means by I had Diego up 29-28 with round 2 going to Karo. I felt the fight was quite obviously up for grabs after the first two rounds and that Diego then managed to win the third convincingly for the overall win. It was a great fight though, one of the best I’ve had the pleasure of seeing in my short time watching MMA.

I was surprised by Koscheck. I honestly didn’t think he would win so easily as Goulet looked pretty solid in the other bouts I had seen. I know Rogan pointed it out constantly but I have to agree that his stand up has improved by leaps and bounds. As Rogan said, even is posture is looking better and he just looks more comfortable and confident trading shots. Whatever he’s doing in training, it’s working.

Leben seemed to get a bit lucky but that also seems to be his style. His power is tremendous and he basically relies on it to win. I can’t help but feel that the UFC is doing everything possible to keep his reputation good enough to be on TV due to his huge popularity. I wonder if he’ll be able to live up to their hopes for him.

I was very impressed with Lister’s ground-game but as was said before in this thread, he’s incredibly one-dimensional. I honestly thought he was going to get knocked out at the end of round 2 when he was out of gas and on his feet. I think that Sasaki was the better overall package and should have tried harder to keep it off the ground.

I felt bad for Von Flue. Yes, Riggs was on a losing streak but he’s still in an entirely different class than Von Flue. The end of this one was obvious from the beginning to me, except for the fact I thought Riggs would knock him out rather than submit him.

I’ll spoiler my TUF 4 run down, just in case others haven’t seen it yet.

I look forward to next week.
    Last edited by Matty C; August 18th, 2006 at 3:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty C View Post
    I’ll spoiler my TUF 4 run down, just in case others haven’t seen it yet.

I look forward to next week.
    Yes I also see Serra as getting mighty popular with noobs (includes myself) once the show is done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they're showcasing Carter and Serra so much because of the obvious dynamic that they have between each other. They're an unlikely pair, especially considering how their last fight ended. Shonie is brash and entertaining (if not a bit weird), but I was really impressed about how he took everything to heart that Serra said to him in training. You'd think a cocky, arrogant fighter would just shrug something like that off, but it's obvious that much of Shonie's antics are for pure entertainment value.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they're showcasing Carter and Serra so much because of the obvious dynamic that they have between each other. They're an unlikely pair, especially considering how their last fight ended. Shonie is brash and entertaining (if not a bit weird), but I was really impressed about how he took everything to heart that Serra said to him in training.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the good news is
    Last edited by P Dandy; August 19th, 2006 at 11:31 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just reported to face Kevin Randleman

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and Coleman/Fedor II....why?

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I felt bad for Von Flue. Yes, Riggs was on a losing streak but he’s still in an entirely different class than Von Flue. The end of this one was obvious from the beginning to me, except for the fact I thought Riggs would knock him out rather than submit him.
    Von Flue really didn't have anything to lose in this fight. Riggs was heavily favored, so why poor Von Flue? You can't reward a fighter by coming off a loss, you know? Also, he turned back into the Von Flue that made his debut in TUF 2....you know? with the "you can't see me" persona when he flipped of Riggs just before he tapped....twice. Riggs turned Von Flue into Lindland (referring to the Bustamante fight from UFC 37)

Cam Neely is a pussy Jobber to the stars's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and Coleman/Fedor II....why?
    To put Fedor over to the American public that has only really been exposed to the UFC?

Anyway, here is some news/speculation about Tyson:

Mike Tyson to announce 10 further bouts
    Let's go round again
    Let's go round again

By Ant Evans: Despite him losing three of his last four bouts - all inside the distance - the public fascination with the now 40-year-old Mike Tyson continues to the point where any comeback would probably excite fan interest and draw crowds happy for even a mirage of the fighting machine who ruled boxing in the 1980s.

Now it appears a Las Vegas hotel and the Japanese mixed martial arts promotion Pride are poised to test that theory, with a confirmation expected at a press conference next week that Tyson will lace up the gloves once more in a series of exhibition matches.

According to the Las Vegas Review Journal Tyson, whose financial troubles are well documented, will have at least three of a proposed 10 exhibition bouts at the Aladdin and also hold one hour training sessions at the hotel which will be open to the public (please, no jokes about that's longer than he's trained for a fight in years).

There are also rumours that Tyson will appear on an upcoming Las Vegas Pride pay-per-view - again in an exhibition bout contested under Queensbury rules.

Pride (whose fights are contested in traditional rings, rather than the cages favoured by most MMA promotions) is hoping to break into the lucrative US mixed martial arts PPV market currently dominated by the Las Vegas based Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Tyson punching people in the head for pay, no matter his age for the "exhibition" tag, could draw attention away from the UFC and perhaps help create a market for Pride in the US.

If these reports prove accurate, there are plenty of historical precedents of faded former heavyweight champions fighting on in exhibition bouts long after their career proper had ended.

Jack Johnson, the first ever black heavyweight champion, gave exhibitions while serving jail time, and a 40-something Jack Dempsey fought in a series of fights against wrestlers and (American) football players when retirement threatened to get too boring for him in the 1940s

http://www.secondsout.com/USA/news.cfm?ccs=229&cs=20162

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobber to the stars View Post
    To put Fedor over to the American public that has only really been exposed to the UFC?
    so they figure to put him in against and American that the majority of the fans know he has beaten in a little over 2 minutes? I'm also talking about those who are just accustomed to the UFC....there's no doubt that these fans know who Fedor is because he's talked about so much during UFC broadcasts whenever they are talking about HW's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so they figure to put him in against and American that the majority of the fans know he has beaten in a little over 2 minutes? I'm also talking about those who are just accustomed to the UFC....there's no doubt that these fans know who Fedor is because he's talked about so much during UFC broadcasts whenever they are talking about HW's.
    I guess they just want to use a former UFC champ and take his ass out again in front of the American audience. I think it's just a dick-waving move by Pride.

To be honest, I think the Real Deal card is just a showcase of their top talent. I expect there to be a lot of squashes. Notice all their top guys are in the left hand side of the card (e.g. CroCop vs TBA).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there is a difference between hearing UFC commentators talk about some dude and actually seeing him in action. I'm also not confident that the average casuaul UFC fan is aware that Fedor beat Coleman in two mintues on a Pride show a few years ago. Plus, I think Fedor is still working through his injury and I don't think Pride wants to risk him going against someone really competitive right off of an injury for fear of him getting beat and losing a main event draw put over by their competition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been watching UFC for the past year or so, and I honestly would not know a thing about Fedor if it weren't for the internet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been watching UFC for the past year or so, and I honestly would not know a thing about Fedor if it weren't for the internet.
    or Pride for that matter. If it wasn't for Rajah I wouldn't have even known about ECW. But Rogan does name drop some of the Pride fighters. He mentioned Fujita before.
    Last edited by P Dandy; August 23rd, 2006 at 2:02 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is some interesting news:

Last month, we reported an industry rumor online first about Bodog.net owner Calvin Ayre getting involved in the MMA business. Today, a press release was issued on the Casino City Times detailing Ayre’s plans. In short, the first MMA show series taping is underway right now in Costa Rica (where Ayre is located) and the series will air on the Dish Network.

What should catch a lot of attention is that Ayre’s project has scored a deal with Red Devil, the team that Emelianenko Fedor & Emelianenko Alexander belong to. The press release confirms that a PPV will be taking place on November 4th in Los Angeles.

http://www.fightopinion.com/2006/08/...ces-mma-entry/

Aku wo tatsu tsurugi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UFC 61: Bitter Rivals

Is this show any good? I´m thinking of downloading it since i saw Shamrock in the card

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your downloading for Shamrock, than don't waste a little over a minute of your time. But the rest of the card was alright, not the best but it was alright.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hughes vs GSP is off. It's now Hughes vs BJ Penn.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=3125

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Devastating.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FUCK!!!!!!!!

That's pretty disappointing right there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well GSP is a monster. I'm pretty sure he won't get Karoed out of the title picture. Plus I really want to see Penn-Hughes again. You got to admit that it's the best event we can get given the circumstances.
    Last edited by P Dandy; August 24th, 2006 at 11:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The TUF 4 fight looked like an axe murder scene. I don't think I've ever seen anyone bleed so much for so long. Nice.

How are the TUF 4 finals going to be handled (the title fights)? Are they going to take place on an UFN, or on a PPV card?

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That bloody fight reminded me alot of the Yves Edwards fight on UFC 61 that was a blood bath

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    October 10th UFC is giving away Shamrock/Ortiz on Spike TV. Watching the press conference right now and sounds like Dana is pushing this one as having a legit ending and will probably let the ref be a little more lax with calling the fight so early.

Should be interesting to see what type of numbers this could pull in. Probably highest rated non-WWE Spike TV thing ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought, "biggest announcement ever" was pushing it a bit though

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm a casual MMA fan, but to give away a PPV match like that on free TV is pretty big for them, isn't it? This isn't like RAW or Nitro where we see big stuff for free weekly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone who didn't know this was going to be the announcement hasn't been watching MMA enough. Anyone who cares about Shamrock/Tito 3..is just a moron.

Shamrock is nuts. I lost respect for him a long time ago.. I mean, do people really think he will win? Does he? Does anyone care? his legacy is going the way of Kazushi Sakuraba if you know what I mean..if Shamrock HAS a legacy left.

As for the announcement..it was clear.. Dana loves to go "OMG Rematches!" ..but I am happy for the BJ Penn/Hughes Fight.. I am a big Penn fan and I do think he won his fight against GSP ..but I am not going to argue that since the judges felt he didnt.. I Know matt has gotten better and I am not sure where Penn stands.. if he comes ready it could be a short night for Hughes again..and he could be getting another kiss on the lips
    Last edited by BenoitMachine; August 26th, 2006 at 1:54 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace Rockola View Post
    Well, I'm a casual MMA fan, but to give away a PPV match like that on free TV is pretty big for them, isn't it? This isn't like RAW or Nitro where we see big stuff for free weekly.

The UFC has The Ultimate Fight night on Spike for free once a month I think. It usually has a pretty good card, but you're right it isn't like RAW.

It is a good move to put Ortiz Shamrock III on free tv, in my opinion. On a ppv, this fight wouldn't get much attention. I just don't understand why this fight is going to take place. Neither of the first two were remotely close. I can't imagine it going past the first round.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't seen II, but according to what I heard the next night on Meltzer's show was that most people think the ref called it too soon and Ken could keep going.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. Shamrock may have been able to continue..but thats the point of a TKO..he was NOT intelligently defending himself..he took 4 unanswered elbows..people will say "well..forrest took more damage"

so what? Forrest was moving..he was defending himself..he was trying.. Shamrock laid there and took the elbows and when the ref called it fairly he bitched..like he ALWAYS does

With Sakuraba he turned his back and fell through the ropes..took 3 punches and laid across the ropes..then when the ref called it a TKO for him not intelligently defending himself.. he bitched

if Shamrock wants to fight..he had better come willing and ready to give some fucking effort

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace Rockola View Post
    I haven't seen II, but according to what I heard the next night on Meltzer's show was that most people think the ref called it too soon and Ken could keep going.
    Yeah, he called it too early but it's not like Shamrock was just waiting for his spot and on the verge of making a valiant comeback or anything.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly think that if Big John reffed ortiz/shamrock II than he would of let it go longer.

This fight has to be free I don't think they had a choice. Free or no fight, nobody is gonna pay for that garbage. Honestly after the last couple weeks of watching Pride, UFC is getting boring. The card tonight is garbage, I'm a huge Forrest fan, but other than that it's boring.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the Bushido Results courtesy of Fight Opinion:

1. Hatsu Hioki defeated Jeff Curran after 2R by a 3-0 judges’ decision.
    2. Shin’ya Aoki defeated Jason Black in R1 in 1 minute, 58 seconds with a triangle choke.
    3. Gilbert Melendez defeated Nobuhiro Obiya after 2R by a 3-0 judges’ decision.
    4. Tatsuya Kawajiri defeated Chris Brennan in R1 in 29 seconds by KO.
    5. Mitsuhiro Ishida defeated Cristiano Marcello after 2R by a 3-0 judges’ decision.
    6. Hayato “Mach” Sakurai defeated Luciano Azevedo in R1 in 4 minutes, 35 seconds by TKO after a doctor stoppage (blood).
    7. Ikuhisa Minowa defeated Eric “Butterbean” Esch in R1 in 4 minutes, 25 seconds with a cross-arm scissors hold.
    8. Welterweight GP: Denis Kang defeated Amar Suloev in R1 in 4 minutes, 10 seconds with a choke sleeper.
    9. Welterweight GP: Paulo Filho defeated Ryo Chonan in R1 in 2 minutes, 30 seconds with a cross-arm scissors hold (transitoning from a bridge) for the submission.
    10. Welterweight GP: Akihiro Gono defeated Gegard Mousasi in R2 in 4 minutes, 35 seconds with a cross-arm scissors hold.
    11. Welterweight GP: Kazuo Misaki defeated Dan Henderson after 2R by a 3-0 judges’ decision.
    12. Takanori Gomi defeated David Baron in R1 in 7 minutes, 10 seconds with a choke sleeper hold.

I'm kind of shocked that Misaki beat Henderson. I guess Filho is the new favorite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Denis Kang to take it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not surprised.. Misaki almost won their first fight and loss by a short margin.. he tooled Baroni..but thats not saying much

Ishida I am glad won..I've loved that guy for a while now and am glad to see him in PRIDE..but who's gonna get the title shot against? Ishida or Aurellio?

I can't see Kang beating Paulo Filho. He is like a min-Arona.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did anyone happen to catch UFC62 this past Sat. night? I wasn't able to see it, but from reports i've read, it was lacklustre. The Bonnar/Forrest rematch was reportedly disappointing and Liddell finished off Sobral Renato in 95 seconds. How was the rest of the card?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, the undercard was pretty entertaining.

Franka def. Varner (Lightweight)
    Franka was behind going into the third round, when he started feeding knees to Varner, and Varner was eating them. Varner was hurt pretty bad throughout the rest of the fight, and Franka finally finished him off with a nice armbar. Great finish.

Kongo vs. Wellisch (Heavyweight)
    Kongo is this big, cut black guy. He's got vicious knees, with which he used to knock Wellisch unconscious. Another great finish.

Diaz def. Neer (Welterweight)
    The best fight by Nick Diaz I've ever seen. He completely dismantled Josh Neer. All Neer could manage was a bunch of wild haymakers, which Diaz easily avoided. He finally ended the fight with a kimura in the last round. I really like Diaz, so I hope he keeps improving.

Griffin def. Bonnar (Lt. Heavy)
    This fight showed just how much more Griffin has improved than Bonnar. His punches and combos were much crisper when compared to his first fight with Bonnar. He had him on the run the whole fight. It wasn't a bad fight, really, but Griffin legitimately won all three rounds, although the crowd didn't like the decision, for some reason.

Liddel def. Sobral (Lt. Heavy)
    What can I say? Babalu caught Liddel with a couple of glancing blows, then made the mistake of pouncing on Liddel. Sobral left himself wide open and Liddel caught him with an uppercut that put Sobral on the ground. He tried to defend for 10 or 15 seconds, but Liddel was all over him and decked him with some good shots while Sobral was on the ground. Mcarthy stopped it after that. Man, all that training for a fight that lasted a minute and a half

Schafer def. McDonald (Lt. Heavy)
    ahaha. This ginger guy choked Rob McDonald out (via arm triangle) halfway through the first round. McDonald was unconscious before he even had a chance to tap. His head was red as a baboon's ass, for God sake. I hate Rob McDonald for some reason. I wish he would go away.

Gouveia def. Combs (Lt. Heavy)
    Pretty good action in the first round before Gouveia finishes Combs off via RNC.

Overall, so-so main events, with a good undercard. Only one fight went the distance (Griffin/Bonnar).

Best moment of the night was when Rogan was interviewing Forrest Griffin after his fight:

Rogan: "...take a look at the Mickey's replay..."

Griffin grabs the mic

Griffin: "I want you guys to know, that I had an inflamed vagina before this fight."

Rogan: "You should get that looked at."

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, thanks for the recap, Dave! Wish i'd have ordered it now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Griffin def. Bonnar (Lt. Heavy)
    This fight showed just how much more Griffin has improved than Bonnar. His punches and combos were much crisper when compared to his first fight with Bonnar. He had him on the run the whole fight. It wasn't a bad fight, really, but Griffin legitimately won all three rounds, although the crowd didn't like the decision, for some reason."
    Great update! I agree with your above assessment. I see a very good future with Griffin. He's gone in against tough opponents and managed to hold his own while Bonnar (outside of Irvin fight) looked average in a lot of his fights. Griffin also has more charisma. The one problem I see is that he likes to strike and against a world class striker I'm afraid he won't do too good even with his pretty good chin.

I ate them before they ate me El Capitano Gatisto's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just started getting Bravo for free on our cable so I'll be getting the UFC in more regularly. I enjoyed UFC 62 on Sunday except for Babalu Sobral getting his fuck knocked in. I wanted him to take Liddell down and keep it on the floor, instead he goes flailing about after a minute. Played into Liddell's hands. Sobral was looking tighter than ever too and he just let it go to his head instead of playing to his own game.

Apart from that it was all pretty good. Nick Diaz was fantastic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great update! I agree with your above assessment. I see a very good future with Griffin. He's gone in against tough opponents and managed to hold his own while Bonnar (outside of Irvin fight) looked average in a lot of his fights. Griffin also has more charisma. The one problem I see is that he likes to strike and against a world class striker I'm afraid he won't do too good even with his pretty good chin.
    It's unfortunate, really. I really like Bonnar, and I think he's every bit as charasmatic as Griffin. He really needs to get with a team and work out with other top guys, as Griffin has done.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano Gatisto View Post
    I've just started getting Bravo for free on our cable so I'll be getting the UFC in more regularly. I enjoyed UFC 62 on Sunday except for Babalu Sobral getting his fuck knocked in. I wanted him to take Liddell down and keep it on the floor, instead he goes flailing about after a minute. Played into Liddell's hands. Sobral was looking tighter than ever too and he just let it go to his head instead of playing to his own game.

Apart from that it was all pretty good. Nick Diaz was fantastic.
    In his defense, Liddell has been beaten with strikes before and I think that he thought he'd rocked Liddell more than he actually had.

By the way, your Bravo is way better than the Bravo Americans get.

Anyway, Meltzer reported that UFC 61 drew 775,000 buys which means it pretty much blew Wrestlemania out of the water.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did anyone happen to catch UFC UNLEASHED on Spike TV last night? One of the featured previous fights being showcased was the BJ Penn/George St. Pierre fight. First time i've seen it and it was a great fight. Very close and I probably would've given the nod to BJ.

Interestingly enough, BJ Penn & Hughes will meet in late Sept. for the title and I think it'll be a great fight. Can't wait.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UFC on HBO?

‘There’s never a deal until a deal is done, . . . but, yeah, we’re going to do a deal with HBO,'’ White said. “HBO is getting pulled, kicking and screaming, into this thing. They’ve obviously spent millions of dollars on boxing. [HBO Sports president] Ross Greenberg has boxing gloves running through his veins. It’s a real kick in the [groin] for all the boxing people to see this thing coming up the way it is. It is what it is. It’s here. It’s not going anywhere. This is what all the young people like. It’s going to be around for a while.'’

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...g/15441561.htm

They also mention Silva versus Liddell at UFC 61 in the article which is weird and the "zuffa myth" is of course perpetuated again.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's pretty hilarious, actually. I'd like to see Lampley eat his words after bashing on UFC a few months past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opening an office in the UK; fights in the UK; Ultimate Fighter: Mexico; Ultimate Fighter: UK.

Holy shit! White thinks big. I like that. Just a bit ago I was thinking how difficult it was going to be for them to keep the "Ultimate Fighter" franchise fresh and innovative

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Gendai Net article claims that PRIDE’s real motive behind signing Mike Tyson (to an exhibition boxing match) is to try to market a Tyson vs. Bob Sapp or Tyson vs. Emelianenko Fedor exhibition match to either Nippon TV or TV-Asahi, two large Japanese free TV networks who have reportedly shown interest in working with PRIDE. Despite the fact that Tyson cannot work in Japan due to his felony rapsheet, it’s certainly possible that PRIDE could market a foreign show to be aired on tape-delay on New Year’s Eve for a Japanese TV network. The end game for PRIDE seems to become much clearer now.

Via: www.fightopinion.com

I've got to say Fedor versus Tyson has me quite interested and I definitely hope that they get a new tv deal.

Also, Josh Barnett says he's going to try and use the Northern Lights Bomb against Nog in their match! And Nog says Barnett is weak off his back. Should be an awesome fight, once this stupid week gets over with.
    Last edited by Jobber to the stars; September 7th, 2006 at 7:41 AM.

ARNIE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Grand Prix finals wll be awesome, looking forward to it.

Fedor will murder Tyson in the first. PRIDE needs to stop with the freak shows and get a grip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Nevada State Athletic Commission on Wednesday filed a formal complaint against light heavyweight Stephan Bonnar, claiming the UFC 62 competitor tested positive for Boldenone, a banned anabolic agent commonly used by veterinarians to treat horses on the mend, MMAweekly.com reported Wednesday.

Bonnar, best known for his Ultimate Fighter season one runner-up performance, lost a unanimous decision to Forrest Griffin before allegedly providing the tainted sample.

According to the NSAC complaint, Bonnar has 20 days to respond. Should he do so, a hearing in front of the NSAC will be set at which time the five-member regulatory body would make a ruling on the Chicagoan's status.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by s-pac View Post
    The Grand Prix finals wll be awesome, looking forward to it.

Fedor will murder Tyson in the first. PRIDE needs to stop with the freak shows and get a grip.
    It'll be more than worth if if they can get a tv deal out of the freak show---Tyson is still big in Japan.

And if Fedor and Tyson fought, it would be in an exhibition match (Meaning probably boxing and wrestling or just a boxing match---whatever Tyson would agree to---If It's just boxing Sapp is the better option.) and probably not a Pride rules match, especially since Tyson can't fight in Japan as a result of his legal troubles.
    Last edited by Jobber to the stars; September 7th, 2006 at 9:34 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stephen Quadros' preview and predictions for the OWGP:

Mauricio Rua is the "other" Chute Boxe fighter (besides Wanderlei Silva) who has rocketed up the rankings because of his scorch-the-earth, full throttle style. The only man to ever knockout Ricardo Arona (to become the Pride 2005 middleweight tournament champion), Rua has only gone the distance once and that was his epic struggle with Rogerio Nogueira. All his other victims, including Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and Alistair Overeem, have fallen by KO or TKO. His pair of defeats have come against two of the most respected fighters in the world, Mark Coleman (arm injury from a takedown) and Renato Sobral (guillotine choke). This is his first time back since the surgery required because of the Coleman fight.

Shogun's opponent also comes from a strong Muay Thai base. Cyrille Diabate, like Rua, is dangerous with knees from a clinch, partially because he is 6'6" tall. But I think the difference here will be in the jiu-jitsu department.

Rua by submission.

Because he lost two of his last three matches (to Rogerio Nogueira by strikes/towel and Fabricio Werdum by Kimura) Alistair Overeem needs a win here to remain relevant. But a healthy Arona is one of the most avoided commodities in the biz. Why? He will take ANYBODY down and make them look insufficient.

One thing to consider however: because Arona has worked diligently on his standup striking game he may be tempted to test those waters with the Dutchman. That would be a tactical error because it only takes one well-placed knee to turn the flow of the fight for Alistair.

I expect excitement in the first five minutes. Then once Ricardo realizes he cannot submit Overeem, he will ride it out to judge’s decision.

“Cyborg” may be one of the most intriguing non-top ten fighters in the game at the moment. But he usually desires a standing brawl to bring his best to a match. That is NOT the case here. Yosuke Nishijima is a former cruiserweight boxing champion who would present multiple problems for Santos if the fight remains standing.

Evangelista needs to use low kicks to set up Yosuke, eventually take this one to the floor, stay on top and mug “Yosukezan” with some Wanderlei-style ground and pound.

Kazuhiro Nakamura may be the best Japanese light-heavyweight (Pride middleweight, whatever) MMA fighter since Kazushi Sakuraba and Hidehiko Yoshida. His losses have only been to champions or solid top ten fighters (Wanderlei Silva, Josh Barnett, Rogerio Nogueira and Dan Henderson). But when your win column includes names like Murilo Bustamante, Kevin Randleman, Igor Vovchanchyn and Yuki Kondo you have to be considered a serious contender.

Yoshihiro Nakao is still known primarily for that fateful kiss he planted on Heath Herring lips prior to their K-1 MMA match (December 31, 2005). Of course Heath didn’t take to keen to the invasion of space and knocked Nakao out with one punch BEFORE the fight officially began, causing the fiasco to eventually be ruled a no contest. Technically, Nakao has never lost an MMA bout. He has one other no contest came against Don Frye (Nakao beat Don by decision in the rematch).

Depending if they fight at 205 or at “open weight.” Nakao should have a slight size/weight advantage. But Nakamura’s experience against the best of the best will be the deciding factor as he submits Nakao in the late part of the match

Open-Weight GP Alternate Match

This is a superb clash of two Russians who some day could inherit the kingdom held by the reigning emperor Fedor Emelianenko (Aleksander’s older brother). It seems that Sergei Kharitonov has had his sights set on Fedor for a while but was momentarily derailed in his quest for the belt by his brutal loss to Alistair Overeem in February (Sergei suffered a shoulder injury early in the match and was pounded until the referee stopped it). But even the blindest of pundits can’t avoid nodding to his victories over Semmy Schilt (TKO round 1), Pedro Rizzo (TKO round 1) and Fabricio Werdum (split decision). A healthy Sergei Kharitonov is a top five heavyweight.

The pressure lies on Aleksander in this fight. He is thrown into a sort of gatekeeper role because if he wins it is doubtful he will fight his own brother for the championship. In that scenario it would be necessary for him to avenge his losses to Barnett and Cro Cop.

This should be a pitched, if not violent battle that I foresee being won by a reinvigorated Sergei.

Open-Weight GP Semi Final Match

Wanderlei Silva, 31-5-1 (thank you Sherdog Fightfinder!), with 21 (T)KOs and 4 submissions, has to be one of the ballsiest fighters ever in MMA. Stepping up to heavyweight without hesitation and plowing right through Japan’s charging bull Kazuyuki Fujita in July’s quarter final round, Silva is now set for a long awaited rematch with southpaw Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic.

In their first meeting (April 28, 2002) Mirko had only tested the MMA waters 3 times previously and was still considered a K-1 fighter on loan to Pride. So the rules in his first fight with Silva were altered to include, among other things, no judges. Well wouldn’t you know it, the contest was declared a draw. But many would have handed Silva the win. At the time, Cro Cop was wary of the takedown and fought conservatively. Even in keeping his striking output to a low degree, he was still able to tag Silva’s mid-section with some accurate kicks.

Most people point to a that-was-then-this-is-now scenario in regards this upcoming dance. Mirko has improved…but so has Wanderlei. The big thing here is probably that Silva is traveling north to the higher weight (he usually fight at 205 pounds). But after watching Wanderlei’s destruction of iron-jawed Fujita, one has to wonder if Mirko will have any advantage in the strength and size departments.

This fight will exude more percussive sound effects than a rerun of the original Batman television series. Yes, they will try to knock each other out. While Cro Cop has rounded out his game considerably, his left roundhouse based kickboxing skills have slowed in their progress. His key to fight Wanderlei Silva is to institute some new tricks into his standing game. Every person, whether it is a fighter, fan or “expert” (ahem), has figured out that Mirko’s big left leg is the weapon to be avoided. So his key here is to not approach this as business as usual, but to surprise Silva and the world with something we do not expect.

Wanderlei is super experienced at a high competitive level and has proved his mettle time and time again against the best Pride had to offer. Even when he lost decisions to a king-sized Mark Hunt or super grappler Ricardo Arona (Silva avenged the Arona loss with an air-tight decision win), he has shown that the experiences have made him a better fighter. Now he gets his second shot at Filipovic.

I honestly cannot pick the winner here. I feel Mirko was on a roll until he lost to Fedor. That seemed to take some of the air out of his sails. Psychologically he has to overcome the stigma that haunted him since he was competing in K-1 as a kickboxer: that he never won the top championship. But he has improved quite a bit since his first bout with Wanderlei…and he knows this may be his last chance to be taken seriously amongst the sport’s elite.

Silva has been Pride’s middleweight champion since the belt was introduced in 2001 (he’s had two losses since then, to Arona and Mark Hunt, both by decision), so he knows the territory of being a champion. Their egos and “pride” should cause this to be a contender for fight-of-the-night.

Another cataclysmic collision. I don’t think there is too much dispute that these are the two most talented submission based fighters in the heavyweight division. Big Josh has tapped out Mark Hunt (Kimura), Aleksander Emelianenko (keylock), Kazuhiro Nakamura (rear naked choke), Yuki Kondo (rear naked choke) and K-1 World Grand Prix Champion Semmy Schilt (armbar/twice). Nogueira has been equally effective, especially on his back, with subs over Cro Cop, Schilt, Mark Coleman, Bob Sapp and Heath Herring.

We rarely see a multi-dimensional ground fight with heavyweights. But because of both Nogueira and Barnett’s propensity for, and mastery of, solving their in-ring problems with grappling, we might with this matchup.

Nogueira has arguably occupied the perennial number two position in his division for the better part of three years. Before his first loss to Emelianenko (March 2003) he was the undisputed king. He did not fall far after that setback and has racked up nine victories since then, mostly against top-flight opposition like Sergei Kharitonov and Fabricio Werdum (his single loss in that period was another decision to Fedor).

Barnett has had a rockier time since his abbreviated reign as UFC heavyweight champion (Josh won the title in March 2002 by stopping champion Randy Couture only to be stripped of the belt for testing positive for banned substances). His had eight wins since then but lost twice to Cro Cop, once by injury induced TKO (October 2004) and the other by unanimous decision (October 2005). 2006 saw “The Babyface Assassin” roar back with three submissions in a row (Hunt, A. Emelianenko, Nakamura). He seems primed for this.

So WHO to pick… Since Barnett is healthy again I would lean towards him. Even though “Minotauro” has improved his striking game he is still not as good as Barnett in that region. Josh’s strength will be the telling factory when they are on the floor. I see this going the distance. Even though I pick Barnett to win, I still feel Rodrigo has a serious chance to pull it out.

My final thought is that the winner of Barnett/Nogueira will win the tournament.

link

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash View Post
    The Nevada State Athletic Commission on Wednesday filed a formal complaint against light heavyweight Stephan Bonnar, claiming the UFC 62 competitor tested positive for Boldenone, a banned anabolic agent commonly used by veterinarians to treat horses on the mend, MMAweekly.com reported Wednesday.

Bonnar, best known for his Ultimate Fighter season one runner-up performance, lost a unanimous decision to Forrest Griffin before allegedly providing the tainted sample.

According to the NSAC complaint, Bonnar has 20 days to respond. Should he do so, a hearing in front of the NSAC will be set at which time the five-member regulatory body would make a ruling on the Chicagoan's status.
    How sad for him. I don't know what terms are in his contract but this may be the last we see of Bonnar in the UFC. His recent string of poor performances don't help either.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still getting use to Pride for the last month of two. I'm planning on getting the fight tomorrow night on PPV. Am I understanding it right that the winner of Silva/Cro Cop and Nog/Barnett will fight each other the same night, meaning two fights? If so, holy shit, that takes some nuts to do that, and gives me even more respect for Pride fighters than UFC than I already have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am I understanding it right that the winner of Silva/Cro Cop and Nog/Barnett will fight each other the same night, meaning two fights?
    Yes.

And Barnett will be winning it.

ARNIE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still getting use to Pride for the last month of two. I'm planning on getting the fight tomorrow night on PPV. Am I understanding it right that the winner of Silva/Cro Cop and Nog/Barnett will fight each other the same night, meaning two fights? If so, holy shit, that takes some nuts to do that, and gives me even more respect for Pride fighters than UFC than I already have.
    Download it all instead

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Download it all instead

Lead me in the right direction.

I don't think Barnett will beat Nog. I would love to see Silva take it, but Mirko is a bad mofo. I see Silva weighed in heavier than Mirko at weigh ins.

ARNIE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PM'ed you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't say that it's the fighter's fault that Zuffa doesn't want to do tournaments anymore. You shouldn't lose respect for the UFC fighters. Plus the UFC pay scale doesn't lend itself to the multiple fights in one night format. Having a tournament with all your top fighters might cause Dana's wallet to hemmhorage. Having a tournament with low level talent would be a different story but who would want to pay to see that when we have TUF.

Plus does the NSAC allow guys to fight two times in the same night. If someone knows...
    EDIT: here you go:

NAC 467.472 Time required to elapse before unarmed combatant competes in successive contest or exhibition. (NRS 467.030)
    2. With respect to contests or exhibitions of mixed martial arts, without the special permission of the Commission, an unarmed combatant may not compete in this State unless 4 days for each round that his last contest or exhibition of mixed martial arts lasted have elapsed since his last contest or exhibition of mixed martial arts.

Price for being sanctioned.
    Last edited by P Dandy; September 9th, 2006 at 11:43 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lead me in the right direction.

I don't think Barnett will beat Nog. I would love to see Silva take it, but Mirko is a bad mofo. I see Silva weighed in heavier than Mirko at weigh ins.
    You thought wrong! Another hour and half before I can order this freaking thing. Damnit.

ARNIE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome show,

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ARNIE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ARNIE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's with the lack of post ppv conversation, Americans?

Barnett versus Nog was pretty amazing, certainly one of the best heavyweight fights that I have seen in a long time. And a fight of the year candidate, in my opinion.

And even though the finish sucked, Barnett versus Cro Cop was a pretty good fight as well.

Shogun dominating "The Spider" and forcing him to tap with leg stomps to the head was glorious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobber to the stars View Post
    That's a very good point.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can someone please comment on the Aleks Emalienenko/Kharitonov fight? From what I've read, it was pretty awesome as well.

ARNIE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not like the situation Vovchanchyn found himself in in 2000. Ruas accumulated considerably more minutes than Varleans at UFC 7 before moving on and taking the win, Mezger done 15 against Lenninger as oppose to Ortiz doing 30 seconds against Albritton in an alternate match but Mezger tapped Tito out. Royce Gracie and Pat Smith fought four times at UFC 2. Severn had to go through Taktarov in a Semi final and fought a fresher fighter in the final. Many fighters have been worked harder than thier final opponent but have still won.

Besides Barnett himself has said he was recovered from the Nogueira fight.

The Kharitonov/Aleks match was awesome, great action throughout the fight, definetly check it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Besides Barnett himself has said he was recovered from the Nogueira fight.

The Kharitonov/Aleks match was awesome, great action throughout the fight, definetly check it out.
    Couldn't recover from Cro Cops eye poke though.

Aleks is the man. Kharitonovs beard is glorious too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can someone please comment on the Aleks Emalienenko/Kharitonov fight? From what I've read, it was pretty awesome as well.
    It was a slugfest. Kharitonov was winning the striking war early but when Aleks got the advantage, Kharitonov taunted him to come in for another strike and tried to go for a takedown but got rocked when he did. Aleks then beat him with a flurry of strikes that Kharitonov wasn't even able to block.

Although, he was surprised by the referee stoppage aftewards.

Many fighters have been worked harder than thier final opponent but have still won.
    Some have also not been able to cotinue onto their next fight, Royce for example. It's hard to say how much a fight will take out of you.

And I don't think any of the instances you mentioned rise to the caliber of Cro Cop fighting for his career.

ARNIE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your wrong.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your wrong.
    Okay, you convinced me: Tito Ortiz on his MMA debut show was not only on Cro Cop's level but on Cro Crop facing retirement if he loses level. And gosh, I guess that makes Guy Mezger Fedor like for beating him, especially after having fought a longer fight.

Don't made idiotic one lined statements like that. Back them up, or shut the fuck up.

ARNIE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your a fucking idiot.

You act like Cro Cop all of a sudden became a killing machine because he said he would retire if he didnt win the GP, your full of shit. Your point was,

"Probably not, since he and Barnett went to a decision (in a hard fought match in which Barnett dished out more effective punishment) while Cro Cop only fought less than one round and was totally ready to go."

As though he was hard done by, some fighters have been in much worse situations than Barnett was and I gave you some examples, one of which you've tried to belittle by saying it was Tito's first night in MMA, which didnt make Tito any less explosive or determined, only less experienced in the octagon.

I suggest you go educate yourself on the sport, its history and tournament format.

"And I don't think any of the instances you mentioned rise to the caliber of Cro Cop fighting for his career."

Clearly not, it's not like anybody in the sport has ever risen to a challenge is it? Why did Barnett even bother turning up?

Pick apart Vovchanchyn and Ruas or Sakuraba who went 90minutes with Royce then saw off Igor to a decision then you might start getting somewhere close to a valid and worthwhile point.

Anyd while we're at it....

"Shogun dominating "The Spider" and forcing him to tap with leg stomps to the head was glorious."

The Snake was holding in his in the stand up its just a pity he doesnt have a ground game.

"Cro Cop has probably come the closest to beating Fedor"

Randleman, Coleman, Fujita to name three all had Fedor in more trouble than Cro Cop.

Last edited by s-pac; September 12th, 2006 at 9:17 AM.