User Tag List

Page 2 of 170 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: MMA Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm so glad I didn't order that one. Holy Shit. 15 Seconds.

Intercontinental Champion P Dandy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did Nate Quarry manage to get a title shot so early? Any chance he can beat Franklin?

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    reasons why Nate gets a title shot

- He's 3-0 in the UFC.
    - Loiseau and Tanner just fought for the #1 contenders spot to face the MW champ AFTER UFC 56.
    - David Terrell is injury prone and Nathan Marquardt may not return due to the steroid allegations
    - he's very popular and will definately draw in the casual fans
    - trains with Team Quest
    - his teammate, Matt Lindland, was suppose to get a title shot, but let go by the UFC for breech of contract (wearing some betting company's shirt that Dana lost alot of money to)....so they threw in a Team Quest member to take his spot

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by P Dandy
    I forgot to mention Hughs' powerbomb-like knockout. Awesome!
    that fight should have been a no-contest, but everybody always throws in the "Rocky and Apollo" theory to the result

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Finale tonight. Should be good. Again some of the guys eliminated earlier in the season get prelim fights and chances to make their way in like Koscheck, Leben, Quarry, and Swick. I am looking forward to the Diego vs Diaz fight in the mainevent.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Over at the UFC site I see they already have some of these guys listed as fighters in the various divisions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's nuts. Joe didn't even do damage after the first round.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is this song they are using to promote the show?

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watching this right now and I was really rooting for Cummo in that fight. Lost but still did a great job showing them it was a mistake picking him last.

12th Man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here's the rumored UFC 57 card

- Chuck Liddell vs Randy Couture
    - Evan Tanner vs Anderson Silva
    - David Terrell vs Jorge Rivera
    - Justin Eilers vs Brandon Vera
    - Brandon Lee Hinkle vs Jeff Monson
    - Rick Franklin vs David Loiseau

this card looks great on paper, and I'm not even really looking forward to Couture/Liddell III. Tanner vs. Anderson Silva is a fight i'm looking forward to. Anderson has been rumored to be in the UFC for the longest of time and the wait is finally over....unless he's injured. Tanner is not the best first opponent for him though. If Chonan hasn't showed the MMA world anything, it's that Anderson cannot stop takedowns. Tanner is no slouch when he's on top, he's a machine with sharp elbows, and will overpower Anderson into a TKO victory. Anderson's only shot is standing, Tanner's too smart and well polished to stay standing with a world class striker.

Terrell/Rivera looks good, but I don't think Terrell will make it to the fight, he'll most likely get injured. Eilers/Vera is another great looking fight, but I'm not sure at which weight division this fight will take place. Both are current HW's, but both have expressed great interest in moving down to LHW....Vera even calling out the current LHW champ, Chuck Liddell, at Ultimate Fight Night 2. Eilers is a slugger, but Vera is far too technical standing for Eilers to bomb away

it's been a long time, since UFC 35, that Jeff Monson has been in the UFC. Monson is riding a 13-fight win streak, and guess who his last loss was against? you guessed it wrong, it was Forrest Griffin. Monson is an elite figure at Abu Dhabi grappling tournaments and he'll be able to control and stop Hinkle within the first 5 minutes of round 1.

rumored card for Ultimate Fight Night 3....January 16th

- Tim Sylvia vs Ausserio Silva
    - Stephan Bonnar vs James Irvin
    - Chris Leben vs TBA
    - Mike Swick vs Jorge Rivera
    - Spencer Fisher vs Aaron Riley
    - Josh Koscheck vs Jeremy Jackson
    - Drew Fickett vs Jonathan Goulet

Swick vs. Rivera is a question mark as Rivera will be fighting 2 weeks later against Terrell....I'm guessing Rivera will bow out of this fight and will be replaced by another strong name. Not sure who, but who ever is there will have a good track record.

Irvin vs. Bonnar scares me, why? Because I'm a fan of the American Psycho. Irvin was a hard hitting HW, but now he's the HARDEST hitting LHW. If Bonnar cannot get Irvin down to the mat, Irvin will get the KO. Bonnar has a battle tested chin, but not against a striker of Irvin's strength.

source: mmaweekly.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to that possible Rick Franklin vs David Loiseau fight.

BTW, has anyone else read that Sam Hogar interview. The gimmick that he's creating for himself is hilarious (pseudo-Rockish).

Ziggle Yourself Tonight TheMagnum's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd really like to see Diego Sanchez on 57. I think he's really gonna blow up huge in '06, and I mean huge.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Ive just recently gotten in to UFC, I saw UFC 56 and have been watching The Ultmate Fighter 2 on Bravo, I already know who wins cos i cheated and looked up the results, but what are they allup to now?

Intercontinental Champion Freddie Mercury's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beer Monster
    Ive just recently gotten in to UFC, I saw UFC 56 and have been watching The Ultmate Fighter 2 on Bravo, I already know who wins cos i cheated and looked up the results, but what are they allup to now?
    I know the result of the welterweight but the Heavyweight final is on Bravo tonight. I have seen most of the matches in UF2 and the welterweights have been far and away the best fighters. Some of those heavyweights look as if they couldn't care less.

BTW Luke =

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Saw the second part of the final last ningt, the main event was great, definatly should have been at least a split decision imo.
    Rasheed needs a knockout punch, I thik may be he should move down to Light heavt weight but is a bit wary of the fighters he would face.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    This weekend on Spike they are doing like three hours of UFC with a best of 2005 show or something.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Any Chance of Bravo picking that up? I wouldnt mind going back and watching some stuff from this year.
    Im almost tempted to get some DVDs but I know Id only ever watch them once.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Anybody catch Ultimate Fight Night?
    I dont think its being shown over here. Did I miss any good match ups?
    I know they were announcing something "big" Im assuming that was the return of Gracie?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Royce is fighting Matt Hughes at the May ppv.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    What weight was he fighting at before?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beer Monster
    Anybody catch Ultimate Fight Night?
    I dont think its being shown over here. Did I miss any good match ups?
    I know they were announcing something "big" Im assuming that was the return of Gracie?
    Well most of the fights didn't go past the first round. I wasn't too impressed with this show but it wasn't bad by any means. Just too many quick wins.

Bonnar chose not to stand and throw and totally cranked the fuck out of Irvin's arm. If Bonnar stood with Irvin, he would have lost. Glad he's wisening up and stops trying to throw when he's outmatched in that department.

Burkman called out Diego Sanchez which is probably going to go down soon. That's a fight to look forward to.
    Last edited by P Dandy; January 18th, 2006 at 1:30 AM.

I'm back....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, gotta revive this thread, I've been on an absolute UFC binge, trying to rent and watch as many UFC DVDs I can get my hands on. I've seen everything from UFC 48-55, a reissue of UFC 1, and knockouts 1&2, as well as keeping up with recent news and as much of the Ultimate Fight Nights as I can. I really wanna buy the next two PPVs, as they are local, and being a typical L.A. sports fan, don't really want to brave L.A. traffic to watch sports live...unless the Dodgers make a run into the playoffs.

I have been extremely impressed with Karo Parisyan. Again, another local guy, and a really crowd pleasing ground style, which is really unusual with grapplers. As soon as this kid learns to strike competently, he'll be dangerous. I'd set him up in a fight against someone like Penn, to see if he can belong. Even a good showing against him can help him claim his place among the perhaps the top names in the welterweight division (that currently Matt Hughes, Georges St. Pierre, and BJ Penn). Also wouldn't mind seeing Mayhem Miller again, thrashed as he was against GSP, but that crazy bastard is damn entertaining. Him vs. a Matt Serra or Nick Diaz would be very entertaining.

I hope Babalu gets a title match against Liddell. From what I've seen of him, this guy's a tough, mean SOB, and on a huge role. Could anyone tell me what's going on with Vitor Belfort? The guy seems to have disappeared after his loss to Tito Ortiz, and I'm afraid I don't keep up with Pride as much as I ought to.

I hope Mir gets back on the winning track. Everyone's been waiting for Arlovski vs. Mir since he's been injured, and that loss to Cruz really put a dent into his title chances. I saw Cruz' fight with Keigo Kunihara, and he really needs to learn how to stand up and throw. Absolutely horrid fight. That win over Mir goes a long way, but until he can show he understands all facets of the game, it'll be considered as little more than a fluke until he's able to beat him again.

Franklin is a scary motherfucker, and it's too bad he's out for the next 8 months. Really looking forward to Horn/Tanner. That fight should really help clear things up in the middleweight division. Chris Leben looks a legit contender, especially after that demolition of Jorge Rivera. Hopefully, that TUF stigma eventually gets washed away. Leben's next fight should be against another top shelf guy, perhaps a Trevor Prangley or David Terrell, should he win against Scott Smith (?). Well, perhaps Terrell isn't there yet, but a really good, entertaining fight with Leben would have go against Joe Riggs. Pure striking mayhem there.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Salvy_Mic
    Franklin is a scary motherfucker, and it's too bad he's out for the next 8 months.
    Any idea if Franklin will get stripped of his middleweight title due to his injury?

I believe that boxing does something like that; stripping the title from a champ if he's hurt for an extended period of time. Or does the UFC not have that kind of rule?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes they do. I believe Frank Mir got stripped because he was injured. It took them 14 months before they went through with it.

I'm back....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe I may be a genius. According to rumors from mmaweekly.com, one of the rumored fights at UFC 60 is indeed....Chris Leben vs. Joe Riggs. I truly believe someone may get seriously hurt in this match, and I expect nothing short of an all-out war. Some of the other rumorred fights are Jeff Monson vs. Marcio Cruz, Alessio Sakara vs. Dean Lister(I've seen Sakara, and he's a very good puncher, don't know much about Lister), Assuerio Silva vs. Fabiano Scherner, Renato "Babalu" Sobral vs. Marvin Eastman(y'know, the Beastman of glass jaw and gnarly cut fame), Diego Sanchez vs. John Alessio, and of course Matt Hughes vs. Royce Gracie, for what I assume will be the Welterweight title. As well, Carlos Newton is rumored to make a return, but against who is the question.

Anyways, the most exciting thing about this for me is that this event will be at Staples Center, right here in LA. I'm seriously thinking about going.

Also amped about UFC 59, which is just a little farther south down in Anaheim. This card looks completely stacked:
    Andrei Arlovski vs. Tim Sylvia for the Heavyweight title
    Tito Ortiz vs. Forest Griffin
    Jeremy Horn vs. Evan Tanner
    Nick Diaz vs. Sean Sherk
    Thiago Alves vs. Drew Fickett
    David Terrell vs. Scott Smith

Rumored is Karo Parisyan vs. Nick Thompson...expect a very pro-Karo crowd, as he's fighting only about an hour and a half away from North Hollywood, which is where he's from.

This PPV I have to watch on PPV, simply because it sold out before I even got to hearing about... a damn shame.

Paul. Ringo. John. Carl. TapOut's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't watch UFC at all, just once in a blue moon if it's on while channel surfing. But I'm intrigued... when is this UFC 60? I may order it just for the hell of it.

I'm back....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UFC 60 is on May 27. If you wanna see a past legend in his 40s (which doesn't necessarily mean too old...see Randy Couture) fight someone who's arguably a current legend who's pretty much in the prime of his life and career, then look no further than the main event here, Matt Hughes vs. Royce Gracie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Salvy_Mic
    Also amped about UFC 59, which is just a little farther south down in Anaheim. This card looks completely stacked:
    Andrei Arlovski vs. Tim Sylvia for the Heavyweight title
    Tito Ortiz vs. Forest Griffin
    Jeremy Horn vs. Evan Tanner
    Nick Diaz vs. Sean Sherk
    Thiago Alves vs. Drew Fickett
    David Terrell vs. Scott Smith
    I'm a big fan of Forrest but I'd be surprised if he can hang with Tito even with Tito's year+ hiatus (in addition to that, I don't think Shamrock will fare very well either in fight 2). If they had intentions of building Forrest, Dana should have fed him some more average fighters. Of course this is a money match and either way UFC wins. Either Forrest becomes a mega-star or Tito wins going into the premier of TUF3. Plus Tito has a 3-fight big money deal. I'm guessing they want to make each of them count. 3rd fight will be Chuck if Tito wins his first two.
    Last edited by P Dandy; March 25th, 2006 at 6:23 PM.

I'm back....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm bummed that Jeremy Horn's gonna have to drop out of his match with Tanner. That would have made a very good fight. Rumor has it that Tanner may instead fight Ivan Salaverry, which would also make for a good fight, but I feel that Evan is simply too big and just as talented for Ivan to win. As well, they're adding Monson vs. Cruz to UFC 59 instead of 60 like rumors had indicated, as opposed to the Parisyan vs. Thompson fight I thought they'd put on. That fight will for sure be at UFC 60, simply because Karo will be fighting in front of a hometown crowd.
    This is an edited addition. ufc.com posts two offcial fights for UFC 59, and one of them will indeed be Parisyan vs. Thompson. The other fight is Jason Lambert vs. Terry Martin

Well, here are my picks for the sure fights:
    Arlovski vs. Sylvia- Arlovski by submission, in the third round. Sylvia will look good, but I think Arlovski may be too well rounded for the big man.

Ortiz vs. Griffin- Ortiz by decision. Griffin will be a tough fight for Ortiz, but I think in the end, Ortiz wins by virtue of his superior conditioning and GnP. Think similar to the Ortiz/Belfort fight.

Diaz vs. Sherk- Diaz by submission in the second round. Diaz will get his career back on track, and Sherk suffers the third loss of his career, all in UFC. Honestly, this is a biased pick, because I really like Diaz.

Alves vs. Fickett- Alves by decision. Don't really know too much about either fighter, but I think the youngster edges out the experience.

Terrell vs. Smith- Terrell by KO in first round. Don't know much about Smith, but I think Terrell is gonna be determined to redeem himself in spectacular fashion after the beating he took at the fists of Evan Tanner.

Monson vs. Cruz- Monson by KO in first round. Monson is too well rounded for Cruz, and his striking keeps Cruz away from even thinking about turning this into a ground war.

Parisyan vs. Thompson- Parisyan by TKO in second round. I'm simply way too impressed with Karo defeating every other ground specialist he's fought in UFC to think Thompson, who's described as unorthodox, can overcome Karo, also unorthodox from an MMA standpoint with his judo-based grappling.

Lambert vs. Martin- Lambert by decision. Martin was stuffing James Irvin in his first UFC fight before he made a tactical error and went in for an ill-advised takedown, being spectacularly knocked-out by a flying knee. I don't know much about Lambert other than that he dominated Rob McDonald in his last fight. Lambert has the slight height, and presumably, reach advantage, and I think he's able to outlast Martin.
    Last edited by Salvy_Mic; March 28th, 2006 at 3:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the card for Ultimate Fight Night 4; looks to be a predominantly TUF showcase. This one moreso than the past ones. That's alright since the American Psycho is going to main event!

-Stephan Bonnar vs. Keith Jardine
    -Rashad Evans vs. Sam Hoger
    -Joe Stevenson vs. Josh Neer --
    -Chris Leben vs. Luigi Fioravanti
    -Chael Sonnen vs. Trevor Prangley
    -Luke Cummo vs. Jason Von Flue
    -Josh Burkman vs. Jon Fitch
    -Josh Koscheck vs. Ansar Chalangov
    -Brad Imes vs. Gabriel Gonzaga

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -Luke Cummo vs. Jason Von Flue
    I can't wait to see that fight.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just re-watched the bonnar/griffin slugfest....dam, what a great war.

i hope griffin can knock out that fuck Ortiz.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pretty good preview/analysis of Ultimate Fight Night 4 for this coming April6/06 @ 8pm:

http://kakutougi.info/content/view/280/2/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamstar
    pretty good preview/analysis of Ultimate Fight Night 4 for this coming April6/06 @ 8pm:

http://kakutougi.info/content/view/280/2/
    Sam Hoger - "Bland fighter" I agree but he makes up for it with his un-bland promos. The guy is gold on the mic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sam Hoger - "Bland fighter" I agree but he makes up for it with his un-bland promos. The guy is gold on the mic.
    Bland is being generous but yeah Hoger is entertaining as hell when he speaks.

Instigator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made a topic *somewhere else* asking the following question. "Do you think UFC (MMA) will surpass Boxing in terms of popularity?" -I'd be interested to see what you guys think.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I hope so. I can't stand boxing but I have come to love MMA(mainly UFC since that is all I see).

Honestly I am not sure though if it will. Maybe over time. It has taken quite a while to get to this point though.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like MTR, I believe MMA (UFC, Pride, etc) will surpass boxing in popularity, in due time. The TUF tv shows did tremendous work in bringing about an army of brand new fans to the sport. TUF3, which starts this Thursday on Spike, featuring Ortiz/Shamrock as the coaches, will really amplify the effects of the previous two TUFs, with respect to new fans. Ortiz & Shamrock genuinely hate each other and that heat will be pretty fun to watch this season.

ps can't wait to see Ortiz/Griffin on UFC59. I'm hoping for Griffin but I fear Ortiz might just be too strong. Should be awesome though. Pretty decent card all the way through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope it becomes more popular than boxing. Give it a couple more years and I think it will be. However, popularity is one thing. The UFC is still going to have people saying it is just human cock-fighting. I don't think it will ever gain the prestige (i guess that's the word for it) that boxing has. It's wierd. Put on smaller gloves, allow kicking and grappling and its all of a sudden inhumane. Split that up into wrestling, boxing, martial arts and all of a sudden they are seen as legit sports.
    Last edited by P Dandy; April 4th, 2006 at 9:10 PM.

Instigator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boxing is in such a free fall. If boxing can recover it's shine, forget it MMA doesn't stand a chance of surpassing it. I just don't see however boxing recovering. It's 'let itself' go so far in the last 20.. yes 20 years that it's hard for it to rite itself. Too many entrenched people looking out for their own behalves.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    out of curiousity, anyone gonna order UFC59?

i will be.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Us Uk'ers get them for free on Bravo, right?

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I never have the extra cash to order ppv's. Much the same when it comes to WWE. Never have the money to spend on it.

Instigator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't afford PPVs these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lucky for you, it's UFC free tv night! Although you're not going to see any top names and you're probably only going to see 4-5 of the 9 matches. The others would probably be small clips.

I'm guessing they'll show the following fights in length:
    Bonnar - Jardine obviously
    The 2 fights starring TUF 2 winners
    Leben, Koscheck, and Imes fight (I think those are their golden boys right now unless Koscheck gets beat again; I'm pretty sure they're going to show the Leben fight)

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They needed something cool to hook me this season. Ortiz/Shamrock was almost enough. Now it's the deaf guy. Should be a fun season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad they did away with the whole "Challenges" BS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the format change. No one will get a free ride to the semi's anymore.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I missed it. Going to have to catch the replays later on.

A coinflip though? I mean it just seems it is kind of important who gets to pick the fight and all and a coinflip just doesn't seem right. But then again I can see not wanting to do challenges and risk hurting people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched Ultimate Fight Night I had recorded.

Leben dominated some guy. Can't remember his name, which is too bad, because he at least took it to decision and managed to get away relatively unscathed. Boy had a lot of heart.

I'm stunned that Joe Stevenson got so completely destroyed by Josh Neer. He just looked completely bewildered the whole fight. I'm not so sure he can compete with some of the more dominant welterweights just yet...

Rashad Evans looks impressive at 205 (moved down from heavyweight). He's quicker and leaner, but needs to work on his ground game badly. Sam Hoger is a cunt and he's incredibly boring.

Bonnar/Jardine was shaping up to be an impressive fight, but the event ran long, and my recording cut out just before the end of the 2nd round

A little dissapointed that I didn't get to see Luke Cummo v. J Von Flue. I like both of those guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave M
    Just watched Ultimate Fight Night I had recorded.

Leben dominated some guy. Can't remember his name, which is too bad, because he at least took it to decision and managed to get away relatively unscathed. Boy had a lot of heart.

I'm stunned that Joe Stevenson got so completely destroyed by Josh Neer. He just looked completely bewildered the whole fight. I'm not so sure he can compete with some of the more dominant welterweights just yet...

Rashad Evans looks impressive at 205 (moved down from heavyweight). He's quicker and leaner, but needs to work on his ground game badly. Sam Hoger is a cunt and he's incredibly boring.

Bonnar/Jardine was shaping up to be an impressive fight, but the event ran long, and my recording cut out just before the end of the 2nd round

A little dissapointed that I didn't get to see Luke Cummo v. J Von Flue. I like both of those guys.
    I agree. Rashad seems to be where Koshcheck used to be -- good wrestler but can't finish on the ground. Hopefully, he'll work on his submissions and GNP more. But you also have to say that Hoger was holding onto to dear life when he was on the ground so Rashad couldn't do much. Hoger might be boring in the ring but he'll get by the same way Krazy Horse in Pride gets by.
    Last edited by P Dandy; April 8th, 2006 at 12:08 PM.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Okay I have watched the TUF episode. Not bad. Like the new system even if the first fight was decided by coin flip. At least the winning team keeps control of the picks. The first two seasons they have had someone fight twice before reaching the semi's and someone not fight at all so I am all for the change. Should be a good season.

Do have a question though. What problems does Dana have with Tito? I didn't know that there was issues there.

Instigator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The deaf fellow, looks like a real sponge. I think he's going to pick up things so fast. If he fights early, I'd say they'd have a better chance to defeat him. If they wait too long to calm him out, I'd say he would be a lot more formidable.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the format change as well. Everyone should have to fight in order to make it past the first round, as coasting through is crap.

It’s good to see my countryman win the first fight; he looks like he could be a force in the competition. The guy he was fighting looked outclassed badly, he probably could have done with more training but the coin flip stopped that.

I’m not sure what happened between Tito and Dana, I wouldn’t mind finding that out myself.

Of the two trainers from what we saw in the first show I would much rather be on Tito’s team. He seems a lot nicer and more helpful with his guys, where Shamrock just seems to like to yell and be an ass without giving much actual direction. Then again, it was only the first show and we don’t see everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still, it's a bad sign that a lot of Shamrock's guys are wishing they were on Tito's team... and it's only the first show.

The bit with the nutritionist was hilarious, though.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I loved how one guy was all excited about Tito and thought they would click if he picked him. Then Tito picks another dude first and the guy gets all pissed because he feels he is better and after that is glad that Shamrock picked him because now he does not like Tito. Bitter much? Geez. Who cares when you were picked. Just go out there and fucking fight and prove how good you are.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you talking about the red headed dude who got pissed about the "tan guy" from LI who was acting like a baby before getting fucked up?

By the way, Tito is gonna smash Forrest Gryffin's head into the ground with a flurry of elbows!

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah. I can't think of his name off hand but that is the guy. He was mad that the pretty boy got picked before him.

I can understand being upset a little bit if you really wanted to train with the other coach but just being upset over someone getting picked before you is stupid. This is not grade school. Just get out there and train and fight. Prove them wrong like Luc did last season. He was last man picked and was in the final.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Luke is the fucking man! Other than Diego he is the best thing to come out of that show.

Anyways, who do you guys think is gonna win Saturday?

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I think Tito wins but not easily. And I think Arlovski wins his bout. Beyond that not too sure.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think people are gonna be suprised how easy it is for Tito after he takes down Forrest.

I agree with Arlovski.

Sherk over Diaz, Diaz is just a chump who got lucky a couple times. And Sherk is a phenomenal wrestler.

Not sure about Monson/Cruz, but I hear Monson is a beast.

Terrell over Smith.

Kairo over Thompson.

Not really sure about the rest, though I got a feeling Evan Tanner doesn't have the heart he use to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AA is gonna do the same thing to Tim that he did in their first fight but I think the fight will last longer. Arlovski is in a league of his own in UFC. I wonder what is next for AA once he wins. If only Mir won his comeback fight but sadly, I think the next contender is either Monson or Cruz. I wonder if he ever thinks about going to Pride and challenging Fedor.

As for Forrest-Tito: I've mentioned this before, I like Forrest but I got to give this to Tito. I don't think Forrest is ready but what was he going to do when he was asked if he wants to fight Tito. Look like a chump and say no? It was a no-win situation for him. But then again, no one gave him a chance to begin with, so you can also say he has nothing to lose. That may be enough to make this a challenge.
    Last edited by P Dandy; April 13th, 2006 at 1:59 PM.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't like him, but I'd have to agree that Tito will probably be victorious over Forrest this coming Saturday.

Arlovski should defend his title with ease. Imagine a Arlovski/Fedor bout! Dam.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arlovski would have no chance against Fedor. Fedor is the best in the world, Arlovski just beats on cans like Cabbage while Fedor takes on dudes like CroCop and Minotauro. The UFC hasn't had good HW's for a while.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Well seems that Shamrock's fighters are really starting to dislike him more and more and his methods. While Tito's fighter's seem happy for the most part except for making the one guy train the night before his fight.

That fight was a bit of a let down. I really enjoyed how the guy got the armbar and made him tap. I like to see submissions out of nowhere so to speak like that. But they just seemed sluggish overall. Just not an exciting fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forrest is a good fighter, but he isnt in Tito Ortiz's league yet. He needs about 8 more fights or so before he challenges someone as good as Tito.

Arlovski should breeze through his fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding the TUF 3 episoe, I literally stood up and said "YES!!" when that punk shit tapped out.

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's people who have no regard for other people or their property. None of that stuff he destroyed belonged to him, and that just really bothered me that he thought it was so funny

Honestly, there seems to be a lot of defiant, crybaby assholes on the show this time around...

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah I was happy he lost. He just seemed like a punk.

And he simply forgot to defend while he was getting those blows in. He knew the guy was good at submissions and he left himself open just because he was overconfident. I think he thought about standing up until Noah got a good hit in and then he shot straight in to take him down. He could have won that fight. I am not if I agree with Shamrock in saying 9 times out of 10 he wins but either man could have won that fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice to see one of the more respectful guys win.

What surpised me the most of this season is that Shamrock is looking really bad right now whereas Tito is pretty much a saint. Chalk that up to clever editing if you want.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    definitely editing....don't worry, tito will get his turn at the 'badguy' editing...it's coming.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic
    Arlovski would have no chance against Fedor. Fedor is the best in the world, Arlovski just beats on cans like Cabbage while Fedor takes on dudes like CroCop and Minotauro. The UFC hasn't had good HW's for a while.
    Dana's gonna have to go out and do something about his HW division pretty dam soon then.....or else AA will just stand at the top of the mountain forever.

While I think you're right about Fedor, I'd still like to see those 2 in the cage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Props to Forrest. Win or lose, doesn't really matter. He showed tonight that he can hang at an elite level. Very impressed it wasn't a squash which after the first, looked like it was going to be. I'm pretty sure they are going to give it to Tito because Chuck-Tito is a money match.
    Last edited by P Dandy; April 15th, 2006 at 11:32 PM.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Reading comments from people watching the fight and reading a play by play and sounds like Forest got screwed. Especially considering that one scorecard was 30-27 for Tito when from all accounts Forest won the second round for sure.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dana's gonna have to go out and do something about his HW division pretty dam soon then.....or else AA will just stand at the top of the mountain forever.

While I think you're right about Fedor, I'd still like to see those 2 in the cage
    Winner and New Heavyweight Champion, Tim 'The Maniaccccc" Sylvia

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint
    Winner and New Heavyweight Champion, Tim 'The Maniaccccc" Sylvia
    Pretty crazy fight, considering AA dropped him hard just beforehand. Seems AA has a glass chin

Good win for Sylvia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MTR
    Reading comments from people watching the fight and reading a play by play and sounds like Forest got screwed. Especially considering that one scorecard was 30-27 for Tito when from all accounts Forest won the second round for sure.
    Yeah that was very questionable. 3rd round was a toss up too. Tito got the final take down but Forrest got more strikes from the ground and he ended up standing right back up. But you know, these things happen. Tito dominated the first round by a bigger margin than Forrest dominated the 2nd round. Just look at Forrest's face. I know full well that judging should not be done like that but I think that's pretty much what happened. Tito destroyed Forrest in the first, mangled his face, and got the take down in the final minute. That does a lot of swaying. Granted not to the extent of 30-27 but in the end I think the right winner was crowned.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tito definately won that fight pretty decisively. He controlled the ground game of the entire fight, Forrest has no attempts at any submissions, or any decent strikes from the ground. Sprawling doesn't give you points, especially when you get taken down 3 times. It doesn't matter how many times Tito botched a take down, he still gets the advantage for that.

Plus, a lot of Tito's punches look liked they hurt Forrest, Forrest's seemed to bounce off Tito's big fat head.

Forrest did show amazing heart, though. I was glad it wasn't as one sided as I thought it'd be. I still don't get the 30-27, though. I could've seen 29-27 if they gave Forrest 8 in the first, but Forrest won that second round pretty much. He was on offense the entire time.

And how about AA? I thought he had Sylvia then it was a huge turnaround. That was crazy.

Intergalactic Monkey. Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm gutted that AA lost........

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Tito and Forrest need to go again, soon. Best fight Ive seen since I started watcing a couple of months ago.

Cruz/Monson was seriously boring, Monson is a monster, just a really short one. Even though he lost his come back Id still rather see Mir fight Sylvia or Arlovskia over either of these two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    definitely editing....don't worry, tito will get his turn at the 'badguy' editing...it's coming.
    I guess it didn't take too long to get the old Tito back. He made remarks about Couture betraying him and training his opponent and on live audio wrestling he accused Forrest of "greasing" and talked some additional shit. I think he's just embarassed that a rookie actually took it to him. Um, if he was greased Tito wouldn't have been able to take down Forrest time and time again in the first round.
    Last edited by P Dandy; April 17th, 2006 at 6:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i heard Brock Lesnar has signed a deal with ufc

has anybody else heard about this?

l

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I have heard he wants to do MMA but nothing about the UFC.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought he was looking at K-1, it definitely wasn't UFC.

Did anyone catch last night's reality Ultimate Fighter episode?

I think Noah leaving over his girlfriend of 6 months thinking he cheated on her was ridiculous. I see it three ways:

1. If they were really close and that much in love she wouldn’t believe it.
    2. Why would he be so worried if he didn’t actually do it? If he did do it, he must not care all that much about her so why throw away a chance at his supposed dream.
    3. It’s been six months and this is supposed to be his dream. Regardless of what happened if I had a chance to realise something that I had dreamed about I wouldn’t let something like that stand in my way. He must not have wanted it that badly.

What do you guys think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some super paranoid people in this world. Many of my friends overact to every goddamn thing no matter how significant it may be. Hey but maybe you're right and he did cheat and wanted to go back to do damage control.

Oh well, good riddance. That bastard screwed me out of seeing a fight this week.

Plus how do you feel about Matt and the way he is being poratrayed. Wasn't Herman doing the exact same thing minus the intense training sessions.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt does seem awfully cocky for someone who hasn’t even fought yet. Half of the guys he’s training with have already advanced to the next round and he acts like they’re below him quite a bit, or at least that’s how Spike are showing it.

I missed the part where he got his bell rung but I’m sure everyone there has had similar stuff happen to them and not acted like they were dying.

Overall, I think he needs to get in the ring and prove himself because for all the talent he’s shown it appears the heart may be lacking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tait surprised me by showing that he was more than just Joe Rogan's bodyguard but I agree with the decision. Josh did win that fight.

As for the Noah/Jesse situation, I think that they should of had Tait/Josh last week and had a LHW qualifying match this week so there would be no free ride. Maybe Jesse vs. Louisiana guy. There will still be some backlash but to a lesser extent.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a couple more seconds and Josh would've been asleep from that triangle choke. I thought Tait should've taken the decision. He dominated the entire fight, even stand up, when he was clinching with knees against the fence for so long. He dominated on the ground as well but he was pretty sloppy for someone who's supposed to be good at bjj. Had a bunch of chances to end it on the ground against Josh, i thought. Josh is a nice guy but all he is a wild striker. He was clearly winded early on and Tait didnt' have the finesse to end him via submission, unfortunately.

i thought it was a bad decision. Plus, so close, why didn't they let them fight it out another round?

oh well.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn’t understand the decision either. It definitely should have gone another round, even Dana had to admit that and if they were going to reward someone with a decision after 2 rounds I thought it should have been Tait.

As Jamstar said, he dominated in the clinch, which was a large part of the fight and controlled the ground action even if he couldn’t finish Josh. I was surprised by how calm Tait was considering it seemed like he got screwed a bit on this one.

I’m interested to see Ed fight. Everyone, especially him, keeps going on about how good he is so I want to see it for myself. I hate guys that talk and talk and talk, then don’t back it up (Solomon) but if Ed has the goods then he can talk all he wants.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope that Ed guy gets his fucking ass submitted

he talks too big..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting... I didn't actually watch the whole thing but everytime I turned around to see what was going on, it was Tait getting hit in face or him backtracking because of a onslaught from Josh. I'll have to watch the repeat this weekend.

I'm also interested in seeing Ed Herman fight. I love Team Qwest!

The Mike Nickels and Matt Hamil fight should also be interesting after Matt's chin got exposed last week. Let's see if his ground and pound can compensate.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it didn't take too long to get the old Tito back. He made remarks about Couture betraying him and training his opponent and on live audio wrestling he accused Forrest of "greasing" and talked some additional shit. I think he's just embarassed that a rookie actually took it to him. Um, if he was greased Tito wouldn't have been able to take down Forrest time and time again in the first round.
    The way greasing works, is that you put the grease on, and let it dry. Then when you start to sweat and stuff, it starts to work, so it kind of makes sense Tito could take him down at first, then couldn't in the second round.

Either way, I don't think he greased, Tito's shots were telegraphed really bad, and he never got a good grip behind Forest's thighs in the 2nd.

Definately should've won that fight unanimous though, people who are saying Tito lost are retarded. Forest didn't hit him with a single punch that did any damage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty C
    I thought he was looking at K-1, it definitely wasn't UFC.

Did anyone catch last night's reality Ultimate Fighter episode?

I think Noah leaving over his girlfriend of 6 months thinking he cheated on her was ridiculous. I see it three ways:

1. If they were really close and that much in love she wouldn’t believe it.
    2. Why would he be so worried if he didn’t actually do it? If he did do it, he must not care all that much about her so why throw away a chance at his supposed dream.
    3. It’s been six months and this is supposed to be his dream. Regardless of what happened if I had a chance to realise something that I had dreamed about I wouldn’t let something like that stand in my way. He must not have wanted it that badly.

What do you guys think?
    There's one big problem I have with the Noah situation: if the fighters aren't supposed to have any contact with family, then why was the letter left for him?

I think it's a bit unfair. I mean, yeah, he was stupid for leaving, but we don't really know the whole story here. People can get pretty close in 6 months time, and the burden of him knowing that something was going on at home with his gf may have just been too much for him to bear.

He should have never been given the letter, though. At least, if he didn't know that there was something going on at home, he could have continued on in blissful ignorance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic
    The way greasing works, is that you put the grease on, and let it dry. Then when you start to sweat and stuff, it starts to work, so it kind of makes sense Tito could take him down at first, then couldn't in the second round.
    Interesting information. Sorry, I'm a TUF fan turned UFC fan not the other way around. I don't have too much knowledge of the grappling intricacies involved but I'm learning.
    Last edited by P Dandy; May 22nd, 2006 at 2:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TUF 4: the Comeback is a brilliant idea. It'll give them a chance to give existing fighters more mainstream appeal. I can't wait to see how much shit Nick Diaz gets into. That guy just can't keep his mouth shut.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave M
    There's one big problem I have with the Noah situation: if the fighters aren't supposed to have any contact with family, then why was the letter left for him?

I think it's a bit unfair. I mean, yeah, he was stupid for leaving, but we don't really know the whole story here. People can get pretty close in 6 months time, and the burden of him knowing that something was going on at home with his gf may have just been too much for him to bear.

He should have never been given the letter, though. At least, if he didn't know that there was something going on at home, he could have continued on in blissful ignorance.

I agree. That letter should have never been delivered. The producers must have had some clue as to what was in the letter. They wouldn't just blindly pass along information from home when rule number one is no outside contact.

My guess is that they were going for drama and got more than they bargained for.

Either way based on what we saw, I thought it was a bad decision to leave.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also agree that it was a bizarre decision to even give him the letter but that doesn’t change how stupid he was too leave. It’s a matter of opinion obviously but I can’t imagine a situation where I would leave that show for a girl I had been with 6 months.

As I said, either she should love me enough to understand and not believe it or she’s not the one. If did do something that stupid, then I would take it like a man and not ruin the biggest opportunity of my life.

I agree though, that letting him have the letter seemed like an odd decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Herman won, that's good.

Him, Bisping and Matt are my favorites. God I hope Bisping and Matt are in the finals. The way they're making those two an ongoing storyline it seems like it WILL be those two in the finals. Bisping is my favorite, but I really like Matt too. It's going to be hard to choose between the two.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ed won but I’m not sure he was all that impressive. Sure, he dominated the fight but Danny looked totally lost so it wasn’t that hard to dominate. His next fight will be a much better indicator of whether he’s really all that good or not. I think he would have a lot of trouble facing someone like Caleb who has a good submission game or even Kendal with is long reach. Overall, in that weight class I found Caleb to be the most impressive but he also had the benefit of facing a weak opponent so again, the next round will be more telling.

I also like Bisping but I’m not a huge fan of Matt at this point. He seems very immature and cocky but that doesn’t mean he can’t fight. I think next weeks match could be closer than most anticipate it seems like Mike is a pretty good submission style fighter and with Matt being a good wrestler it should be quite the ground war. The thing I worry about with Matt is whether he knows what to do after he takes someone down, that was something that plagued Josh (another great wrestler) in the first TUF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope Matt wins it next week. I'm pretty sure he will since they have been building Bisping-Hamill for quite a few episodes now. Hopefully Matt has a good submission defense cuz Nickels is no slouch there.

As for Herman, I agree that his opponent was not all that great. Plus Ed got rocked right out the gate (not taking into account that he took it and kept on coming...he still got hit very cleanly). That armbar was sick. It didn't look like it did much damage since Danny showed no ill effects, but it just looked like Ed torqued the fuck out of that arm.