Page 156 of 170 FirstFirst ... 146152153154155156157158159160166 ... LastLast
Results 15,501 to 15,600 of 16954

Thread: MMA Thread

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out this old Joe Lauzon video from like 2005 .. its pretty cool .. lots of grappling and some mma in the second half ..
    http://joelauzon.com/blog/2010/07/hi...deo-from-2005/

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vinicius Kappke de Quieroz (5-1) and Rob Broughton (14-5-1) will make their debut against each other at UFC 120 in London. Prelim bout I'm sure. No idea who either of them are.

Spencer Fisher will also be fighting Mark Warburton on the card .. also probably on the prelims.
    Last edited by Dubya; July 5th, 2010 at 2:18 PM.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by dubya View Post
    I don't think they'd wanna keep the JDS/Nelson winner out THAT long, as they've said they're up next. I think it will be November at the very latest.
    November sounds about right, JDS/Nelson go August 7. Allowing the winner a month to heal, if needed, then a three month training camp.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So James Toney is saying his fight with Couture will be at a catchweight to "protect Randy" ..
    Randy Couture says the fight will be at heavyweight ..
    Apparently Toney showed up at the PPV press conference this past weekend with a Couture action figure in a barbie doll dress.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I hope Randy fucks up Toney.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope Toney wins

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toney could very well clip Couture with a quick 1-2 right at the start and knock him out. Boxers have a whole different level of KO power, espescially with those 4 oz. gloves in place of the 12 oz. they're used to.

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you wanna see how this fight will probably go watch Roller/Njokuani.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    Was looking at the rumors for UFC 120 in London and it's currently looking like this:

Carlos Condit vs. Dan Hardy
    John Hathaway vs. Dong Hyun Kim
    Travis Browne vs. Cheick Kongo
    Cyril Diabate vs. Alexander Gustafsson
    Paul Sass vs. TBA

I wonder if we will get Michael Bisping on this card, and if so against who? Leben rematch? Or maybe the winner of Munoz/Okami?

No idea who Paul Sass is.
    I'm going to take back my enthusiasm. Dana White still owes the fans something huge on free TV after the Anderson Silva embarassment in Abu Dhabi. He promised that he was going to make it up to us. Personally, I don't think Belfort/Bisping and Condit/Hardy on free TV screams "Thanks, Dana! You're a man of your word!"

How about a title fight? Or at least a #1 contenders bout somewhere?

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we should make a thread where we can all post classic pride matches and go hmmm things were better in the old days.

we would have to start it with nog/sapp.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Condit/Hardy and Belfort/Bisping would both have pretty direct impacts on their division's rankings .. espescially if Condit/Bisping win.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Cash View Post
    we should make a thread where we can all post classic pride matches and go hmmm things were better in the old days.

Shogun/Lil' Nog will always be one of my favs from the old days.

╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Cash View Post

Could someone just edit together a video of Shogun stomping on people?

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Sapp/Nog its such a ludicrous fight. This gigantic man beating up Nog. This was back when Sapp was actually a little feared. Nog would take on anything. Unlike a certain contemporary of his who shall go nameless.

Its such an epic fight. I am just watching it again for the first time in about a year and some of the blows Sapp landed sounded so fucking crisp. Plus Sapp literally powerbombs Nog on top of his head. I wouldn't say its a FAVOURITE fight but its full of what I love about MMA. Human drama. When I am finished watching it I will track it down on MMA-Core in case anyone has never seen it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will have pretty direct impact on the rankngs? That's the most vague statement. Yes... if the underdogs win, they'll move up. But if the favorites win, they shouldn't be bumped in the rankings at all. Condit might be in the #10 spot on somebody's Welterweight rankings and you could argue that Bisping is somehow a top 10 guy.

I'd be happy with #3 vs #5 or something similar, but these guys shouldn't be in line for a title shot, no matter who wins either match.

MMAWeekly
    Hardy - #9
    Condit - not ranked
    Belfort - not ranked
    Bisping - not ranked

Sherdog
    Hardy - #4 (seems inaccurate - Hardy is above Koscheck, Diaz and Shields)
    Condit - not ranked
    Belfort - #7
    Bisping - not ranked

FightMatrix
    Hardy - #6
    Condit - not ranked
    Belfort - not ranked
    Bisping - #10

BloodyElbow
    Hardy - #6
    Condit - not ranked
    Belfort - #5
    Bisping - not ranked

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well yeah its vague .. mma rankings in general are pretty vague. I'm just saying that if Hardy beats Condit.. its another name to add to his list. Condit may not be top 10 but he's still a name and a very good fighter. If Condit wins, he will be top 10.

If Belfort beats a guy like Bisping, he further proves his case as MW contendor cuz he really hasn't beat anyone at MW in the UFC. It justifies him getting the title shot and Bisping is a nice name to have on your resume, espescially if you beat him in front of his homeland. Oh I hope he does.

Bisping wins and he puts himself right up there with the MW contendors in line for a title shot.

I think they'll both be good fights too.

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm potentially a paying customer for this card and I'm pretty pleased with what they are giving us. Some nice fights there. If Bisping vs Belfort happens its a great headliner.

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also it's clearly a card put on for the UK audience. The three biggest names in UK MMA all in pretty big fights in their careers. So what if it hasn't got a title fight? It's on free TV.

Hero From The Beyond UncannyIowan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's free no shit? I guess that makes sense with Condit and Hardy headlining.

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Condit and Hardy won't be the headliner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgecutioner View Post
    Condit and Hardy won't be the headliner
    I mean I'm sure for the Euro-fans having Hardy headline is a big deal but I agree, I don't think it'll be the headliner either if they can pull together a Bisping/Belfort fight. That's pretty huge and if Vitor won that would definitely give him a little more cred in the 185 division toward a title shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also it's clearly a card put on for the UK audience. The three biggest names in UK MMA all in pretty big fights in their careers. So what if it hasn't got a title fight? It's on free TV.
    That's my point. Dana promised fans that he planned on making up for the embarassment that was Anderson Silva in Abu Dhabi and it was strongly implied that it would be made up for with a major event for free.

If the response that American fans will have is "It's good for a free show", then how would this be making up for anything? It's actually a big step down from last years free show from England which had a Hall of Famer vs Brandon Vera and a #1 Contender fight between Mike Swick and Dan Hardy.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ..and what if this event had been planned for a long time and he's still planning on doing the big free event (and this isn't it) and you're just complaining for the hell of it instead of sitting back and enjoying another free show?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    A free show is a free show. Besides, most of the people on this board don't buy these ppv's anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ..and what if this event had been planned for a long time and he's still planning on doing the big free event (and this isn't it) and you're just complaining for the hell of it instead of sitting back and enjoying another free show?
    Because that would be fucking stupid??? There were no fights booked in April for 120. For them to ignore this blank card and postpone to a later event is just dumb.

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't see why it's "fucking stupid" for Dub to suggest that they always planned to have the fight card in England to be stacked with English fighters.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All their fight cards in England are stacked with english fighters.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Machida's camp is calling for an interim title fight between him and Rashad, with the winner fighting Shogun.. since Shogun is out until spring. Rashad said he wants to wait for the title, but would consider a fight for an interim title .. and seeing as its against the one man that beat him .. he'd probably go for that. I'm not totally opposed to that. It'd be interesting to see if Rashad would do any better against Lyoto this time..

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    It'd be interesting to see if Rashad would do any better against Lyoto this time..
    Would Rashad would take the rematch?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can stack a card with English fighters (like they do everytime) and have a huge main event without an English fighter (like they do everytime).

UFC 70 - Cro Cop vs Gonzaga and Fabricio Werdum vs Andrei Arlovski
    UFC 75 - Rampage vs Henderson, Hamill vs Bisping, Cro Cop vs Kongo
    UFC 80 - Penn vs Stevenson, Gonzaga vs Werdum
    UFC 85 - Hughes vs Alves (Originally Shogun vs Liddell then Evans vs Liddell)
    UFC 89 - Bisping vs Leben, Jardine vs Vera
    UFC 95 - Sanchez vs Stevenson
    UFC 105 - Couture vs Vera, Hardy vs Swick (#1 Contenders)

You can clearly see that the UFC has only had a British fighter in the main event ONE TIME while they are in England. Bisping was also a much higher ranked fighter back then as he only had the Rashad loss on his record. Not to mention that Chris Leben has been a perennial favorite since TUF 1.

Don't try and make it sound like this is what the UFC does when they are in England. You can clearly see a higher level of main events for UK cards. Belfort (who the current generation of UFC fans have only seen once) vs Bisping (who is undoubtedly the most popular British fighter alive), is not of equal caliber to past events.

So even if this is "what they planned to do", it is weak compared to previous events in the UK. When you factor in Dana's statement about making it up to fans, it is severely lacking. The Rampage/Lil Nog fight needs to be on this card to make it worthwhile.

Don't see why it's "fucking stupid" for Dub to suggest that they always planned to have the fight card in England to be stacked with English fighters.
    Fine... then stack it with English fighters in big matches. John Hathaway is on this card and he just dominated Diego Sanchez (Top 5/6 Welterweight before he cut to LW) one fight after a title shot. The best you can give him is Dong Hyun Kim, a guy who still lacks a name and has yet to defeat a Top 20 contender in the UFC? This kid should be given a big opportunity. Let him fight Martin Kampmann, who is certainly eagerly anticipating an opponent, and should be fighting that time of year anyway.

Lil Nog vs Rampage
    Belfort vs Bisping
    Condit vs Hardy
    Kampmann vs Hathaway
    Kongo vs Browne

You'd be looking at a STACKED card on British fighters along with a hefty main event for Pride fans to salivate over, a very mainstream headliner and fan favorite Cheick Kongo.
    Last edited by PMBR; July 6th, 2010 at 11:28 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I think Rashad should go with his gut and wait so that I'm not bothered for a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't Shogun going to be back by like the Winter (dec-feb'ish)? I'm a strong advocate AGAINST creating interim championships, they mean nothing, and do nothing for the division. I can understand why they did it back when Arlovski was the interim champ because they weren't sure if Mir was ever going to be able to even walk again. I understood why they did it with Mir/Carwin and Nog/Sylvia, but to me it's like if a guy is going to for sure be out for a year (like in the case of Sherk) then just strip the dude and have them fight. But, if you know the guy isn't going to be out for more than 6-7 months what's the point?

I mean, Shogun won the belt in May right? He had knee surgery that will probably keep him out the rest of the year, but still, why create an interim championship? I mean the only time in history that I remember a interim title being defended was because it was part of a mini tournament between Couture/Lesnar and Mir/Nog.

╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah if someone can't defend it for more than a year they should strip them of the title but give them a title shot on their first match back.

I think the main reason they seem to create them is to put a 5 round main event at the top of a card.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazurus View Post
    Yeah if someone can't defend it for more than a year they should strip them of the title but give them a title shot on their first match back.

I think the main reason they seem to create them is to put a 5 round main event at the top of a card.
    Yeah and sadly not a single interim title fight in the last 10 years has gone that long. I just personally think they're useless to create, if a year goes by and Shogun isn't looking like he's going to be able to defend THEN do an interim-or just strip dude altogether.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the only implementation of an interim title should occur if there is doubt that a champion might never come back. i.e. Frank Mir after motorcycle accident, Brock Lesnar with diverticulitis (before they confirmed his return), Randy Couture's contract dispute

╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UncannyIowan View Post
    Yeah and sadly not a single interim title fight in the last 10 years has gone that long. I just personally think they're useless to create, if a year goes by and Shogun isn't looking like he's going to be able to defend THEN do an interim-or just strip dude altogether.
    Just strip him after 9 months or so; put it into whatever contract they have that they have to defend once every 12 months and a fight needs to be scheduled with a few months to spare.

If they book a fight for 11 months in and then can't make it just have the guy he was going to fight and the best other guy available fight for it.

They need to stop messing about with number one contender matches too as it makes it really hard for anyone to break through.

They also need to stop putting champions onto TUF as it ties up the belt too long.

They also need to split the heavyweight divison into two and have the upper one have no weight limit.

Give me more time and I'm sure I'll think of more stuff they need to do.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They also need to stop putting champions onto TUF as it ties up the belt too long.
    Yes. Fuck yes.

It could be argued that it'd get a better buyrate having so much time building it up on TV, but I think the title fight would bring in a ton of buys regardless, and they could use TUF to build up a "lesser" fight and have it be massive.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UncannyIowan View Post
    Isn't Shogun going to be back by like the Winter (dec-feb'ish)? I'm a strong advocate AGAINST creating interim championships, they mean nothing, and do nothing for the division. I can understand why they did it back when Arlovski was the interim champ because they weren't sure if Mir was ever going to be able to even walk again. I understood why they did it with Mir/Carwin and Nog/Sylvia, but to me it's like if a guy is going to for sure be out for a year (like in the case of Sherk) then just strip the dude and have them fight. But, if you know the guy isn't going to be out for more than 6-7 months what's the point?

I mean, Shogun won the belt in May right? He had knee surgery that will probably keep him out the rest of the year, but still, why create an interim championship? I mean the only time in history that I remember a interim title being defended was because it was part of a mini tournament between Couture/Lesnar and Mir/Nog.
    He's not due back until spring so it would be pretty close to a year.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm friends with Alan Belcher and Joe Lauzon on facebook and they always post cool videos .. Belcher posted one of the 2 Lauzon brothers going at it in their front yard. Dan just gets destroyed over and over .. he taps like 4 times in the video. Lol. Good stuff.. its just funny cuz you can see guys like Aaron Simpson, Alan Belcher, Benji Radach .. all kinds of random fights just standing around the yard watching.

╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vice View Post
    Yes. Fuck yes.

It could be argued that it'd get a better buyrate having so much time building it up on TV, but I think the title fight would bring in a ton of buys regardless, and they could use TUF to build up a "lesser" fight and have it be massive.
    Exactly; maybe find a division where the title's just changed hands but the guy who's dropped it isn't in the running for another shot until two other guys have had their crack (this happens all the time) and make him one coach; then find an up and comer who's a couple of fights away from a title shot himself and make him the other coach.

I really don't get why GSP is being used on TUF; he doesn't need the rub of the show and the show won't benefit much from the rub from him, at least not as much as a PPV would benefit from him in a title shot which he could do in the same time.

If they wanted to use Welterweights why not run with Kampmann v Thiago or Alves v Fitch. All four of those guys could use a bit of main stream rub and then the winner of the blow off could get the shot after Kos gets his.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See .. I get all that, but is the title really being held up here? Alves, Fitch, Koshcheck .. GSP has already DOMINATED all 3 of them so I could care less if he does TUF first.. they're probably doing it so the division can sort itself out a bit in the meantime .. probably bring in Jake Shields and let him get a fight in so he can fight the winner by then. Plus it helps Koshcheck get on your screen a bit cuz I don't see him as a headliner, much like I don't see Hardy as one.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Kampmann/Shields would be interesting. Winner get's GSP next. Don't know where that would leave the Fitch/Alves II winner though.

Ronaldo 'Jacare' Souza/Tim Kennedy possibly for the vacant SF MW title:
    http://www.tatame.com/2010/07/06/Jac...ikeforce-title

Strikeforce: Houston is the place.

╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to see Jacare take that belt and then have to fight Roger Gracie for it.

It'd be odd to see Strikeforce turning down the chance to run a four man tournament though.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kampmann/Shields would be interesting. Winner get's GSP next. Don't know where that would leave the Fitch/Alves II winner though.

Ronaldo 'Jacare' Souza/Tim Kennedy possibly for the vacant SF MW title:
    http://www.tatame.com/2010/07/06/Jac...ikeforce-title

Strikeforce: Houston is the place.
    Well wtf happened to the tournament with all those badass names? Coker even said they were releasing Shields so they could start the tournament sooner .. Fuck you Strikeforce.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Latest is that there will be a (4-16 man) tournament to determine the number contender to the winner of Jacare/Kennedy.

I'd love to see Jacare take that belt and then have to fight Roger Gracie for it.

It'd be odd to see Strikeforce turning down the chance to run a four man tournament though.
    Roger used to fight at HW and now is at LHW. Not sure if he can get down to 185, he's a tall lad.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just surprised its working like that I guess.. you'd think they'd use some of the bigger names for the title fight .. I just read that Babalu wants to fight Hendo, which is why he gave up the chance to fight King Mo for the belt.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Well, main reason is that Mo and Babalu train together, aka AKA syndrome.

I would actually love to see Babalu/Hendo, I think it could be a nice rematch after 10 years.

╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest is that there will be a (4-16 man) tournament to determine the number contender to the winner of Jacare/Kennedy.

Roger used to fight at HW and now is at LHW. Not sure if he can get down to 185, he's a tall lad.
    Well he worked HW in Japan which is very different that working HW in the US.

He walks around at 205 so I wouldn't be shocked if one day he moves down but probably no time soon.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Evan Dunham v. Sean Sherk has been added to the UFC 119 card.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a nice fight right there. Should be good.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bader vs. Lil Nog at UFC 119, to serve as the co headliner. No idea what Rampage will do next since he's busy with A-Team commitments. I guess he fights on the GSP/Koscheck show around New Year. No idea what main-events, Lesnar/Velasquez is a confirmed no though. I'm guessing they'll push for Machida/Griffin or something like that. The top lightweights are tied up at 118, the top 4 welterweights are all signed to fight each other already, middleweight everybody has a recent loss, light heavyweight guys are tied up and injured. Could do Big Nog vs. Mir 2 I guess but the brothers probably won't compete on the same card.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles...-Presser-25524

Quote Originally Posted by Jorden Breen
    BRISBANE, Australia -- What is the point of a press conference that no one wants to be at? For upstart Impact FC, it appears to be robust if unintentional entertainment.

The fledgling promotion will host its first card Saturday night in Brisbane, Australia, headlined by a meeting between former UFC champion Josh Barnett and Brazilian brawler Geronimo "Mondragon" dos Santos. Thursday, it welcomed the local media to Brisbane hotel Urban for a perfunctory press junket that quickly morphed into a disjointed, bizarre but highly amusing gathering.

The presser was set for an 11 a.m. start in a function space called The Loft, an art deco-inspired room far more apt for an afterparty than a presser despite a quaint 10th- floor view of Brisbane's city skyline. However, the early minutes of the meeting were dominated by promoter Thomas Huggins and the aforementioned Barnett regaling the room with peripheral MMA tales.

Topics du jour: Rafeal "Earthquake" Carino, a Brazilian goliath of the NHB era; UFC 5 veteran Andy Anderson's drinking prowess and topless steakhouses; Huggins' decade-old conversation with John Lewis as to how to best fight a mummy, werewolf and Frankenstein; and Barnett's insistence that fellow fighter Karo Parisyan play up Armenian stereotypes for his ring entrance, urging him to support "that real Glendale look."

It may seem like negligible icebreaking banter, but it gets to a realer truth: Huggins' real passion is in this kind of fraternizing. After the presser officially "started" at 11:17 a.m., Huggins spent most of the 50-some-minute junket with his arms folded over his chest, seemingly like he would rather be anywhere else, even outright admitting his distaste for "media stuff."

The previous day, in a hotel hallway, he told me, "There's a presser tomorrow, for the local media. I don't really want to do it, but you know. I just care about my fights." When he said "my fights," he rubbed his hands together like a zealous child or mad scientist, full of genuine enthusiasm.

Three local media members rattled off perfunctory questions for all the main card fighters. As usual, Barnett charmed, despite boredly picking at his gray Pancrase wristband throughout. Dos Santos stretched his gargantuan blue Asics sneakers from under the dais halfway across the floor, staring blankly at them. Though Barnett and Dos Santos did talk relevant shop -- Barnett said he’s training at local Integrated Martial Arts, home of the likes of Kyle Noke and Adrian Pang among others, while "Mondragon" noted this was his first fight in which he got his hulking frame under 265 pounds -- the real meat of the event was on the periphery.

"How is it that you got all these great fighters together?" a local reporter asked Huggins.

"He has the money," shouted a deadpan Parisyan from the audience.

Parisyan was originally set to take on tough Brazilian Luis "Besouro" Dutra, who was forced off the card due to separating his bicep. The UFC veteran will now face local Ben Mortimer. However, while on the dais, most of his squaring off came with Barnett, who was perhaps the most active reporter at the event, accounting for what seemed like half of the questions posed to fighters.

"Have you been doing any randori to prepare? Working on your reaps? You ever throw on the old do-gi?" Barnett chided.

The event at this point had been firmly hijacked by the sideline hijinks. Mortimer also knocked over a pitcher of water, unleashing a massive puddle across the floor that was never cleaned up and slowly but silently spread over the room during the presser.

Meanwhile, the card's Brazilian contingent -- Dos Santos, Urbitran "Birao" Lima Mariho, Thiago "Minu" Meller and Joaquim "Mamute" Ferreira -- all struck up conversations in Portuguese with fluent cutman Jacob "Stitch" Duran, in town to work Barnett's corner. As fighters blandly droned into microphones, the Brazilians all posed for pictures with "Stitch," who seemed like a superstar to them.

The puddle of water continued to hungrily devour the tile floor.

The Australian media were keen to ask about sporting crossover: Former UFC champion Carlos Newton was asked about the recent State of Origin, the nation's most beloved rugby league competition, while Ferreira was asked why Brazil's national side lost at the World Cup.

"DUNGA!" Ferreira exploded before his manager and translator Tiago Okamura even finished translating the question. "Dunga took the team down!" he added, giving the former Brazilian coach a literal thumbs down. As the soccer conversation went on, an anxious Parisyan drummed loudly on his thighs before standing up and saying quietly, "I can't sit down, man."

When Ferreira's opponent, Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou, spoke, it was again Barnett who took the media reins.

"Your background is in judo, but you prefer to use your muay Thai in fights," Barnett earnestly inquired. "Why do you not use the skills you've worked on your whole life?"

"Well, with fighters like Arona or Nogueira, if I throw them, they'll submit me. That's why I focus on striking, what I love to do," Sokoudjou explained. "With judo, you just throw, there's not so much ground game."

"Not exactly, but whatever," the roaming Parisyan interjected from the back of the room. The room fell silent. With no response, Parisyan rolled his eyes to discredit the Cameroonian, whom he actually beat in judo competition nearly a decade ago. Parisyan continued his stroll around the room before settling on the couch next to me.

"What are you writing?" he asked.

"I'm writing about you walking around, rolling your eyes," I smiled.

"What? Really?" he said. "I didn't do anything wrong, did I?" He seemed genuinely concerned by the prospect, as well as the thought that my hair could "poke his eye out."

Huggins delivered the news that the hand injury of Felise Leniu and illness of Brad Morris left Bira Lima and Jeff Monson without opponents, and that they would now fight each other. However, the announcement seemed to fall on deaf ears: The noon hour sun was glaring through the massive, uncovered windows, and the room was growing restless. There were six cell phone rings. Sokoudjou left and re-entered the room no less than five times in a 15-minute span. The Brazilians took 56 photo albums’ worth of pictures. The puddle Ben Mortimer authored earlier had now spanned the entire floor under the table. Brazilian manager Tiago Okamura impatiently tapped his foot, waiting for the event to end, quietly splashing water under his shoe.

"It's attacking us!" someone in the front row of the audience seats jokingly gasped as the puddle surged toward them.

One can only hope Saturday night at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre is as action-packed.
    This is the most B-league thing ever

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow .. Lil' Nog v. Bader .. don't really know what to think about that one.

.. and yeah, that's more like C-league, Pete. It insults Strikeforce as the B-league.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW! Put it on UFC 120 and make me happy.
    MMABay can EXCLUSIVELY reveal that the UFC are looking to put together a mega fight between former light heavyweight champions, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and Lyoto Machida before the year is out.

A source close to the situation revealed the news earlier today to a member of the MMABay team and, although the promotion are unclear on exactly when it will go down, this fight will happen before the end of the year.

Jackson’s first choice of opponent, Forrest Griffin, is reportedly months away from being ready for action, meaning a rematch will have to wait for now. The other man the Memphis star has been linked with, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, is also out of the loop after agreeing to meet Ryan Bader at UFC 119 in September.

Jackson is looking to rebound from a three round decision loss to bitter rival, Rashad Evans at UFC 114. The star of “The A-Team” movie was riding a two fight winning streak heading into the fight after defeating Wanderlei Silva and Keith Jardine.

As for Machida, his run as light heavyweight champion was brought to an abrupt halt when he squared off with Mauricio “Shogun” Rua for a second round at UFC 113 in May. Prior to that he’d defeated the likes of Thiago Silva and Rashad Evans.

Keep it locked to MMABay for more on this as we get it.

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://mmajunkie.com/news/19858/fran...dianapolis.mma

"A rematch between heavyweights Frank Mir (13-5 MMA, 11-5 UFC) and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (32-6-1 MMA, 3-2 UFC) headlines September's UFC 119 event."

YES!!!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Frank Mir/Big Nog II headlines UFC 119:
    http://mmajunkie.com/news/19858/fran...dianapolis.mma

Yuss, payback.

/EDIT

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No chance mate, no chance.

I'm guessing they are relying on Mir running his mouth to sell this one if they are making it the headliner. I don't care that it's there because for me it'll be the fight I want to see the most even if there was a bigger fight on top but I can guess people will be moaning about it.

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    • Frank Mir vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira*
    • Ryan Bader vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira*
    • Evan Dunham vs. Sean Sherk*
    • Melvin Guillard vs. Jeremy Stephens*
    • C.B. Dollaway vs. Joe Doerksen*
    • Joey Beltran vs. Matt Mitrione*
    • T.J. Grant vs. Julio Paulino*

Shaping up quite nicely, looking forward to the first four fights a lot. Lytle said he will be on this card too.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Man, Sean Sherk. Been a long time since I saw him. I hope Lytle fights on this card, with it being in his hometown and all.

Rush
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you'd think Sherk is winding down his career anyways.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After his last 5 fights, this guy should be cake. Hopefully he'll get to even out his record.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rafael Natal, the guy that beat Lutter at the Moosin show has signed on with the UFC ..
    http://mmajunkie.com/news/19861/midd...th-the-ufc.mma

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MMA fighters look so weird in shoes..

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I go to sleep and I wake up and MARK HUNT is signed to the UFC. That is seriously a puzzler.

Also Bader is fighting his TUF coach's twin brother. Awkward

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Mark Hunt has to be the first fighter signed to the UFC while on a 5-fight losing streak .. like wtf?!?

You forgot Mir/Nog II, Pete !

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Well wtf happened to the tournament with all those badass names? Coker even said they were releasing Shields so they could start the tournament sooner .. Fuck you Strikeforce.
    Strikeforce booking and common sense do not compute.

Case in point: Fedor getting the next match against Alistair, instead of Werdum.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark Hominick v. Leonard Garcia
    and
    Korean Zombie v. George Roop
    both on tap for WEC 51.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am hoping Mir/Nog II was just a dream cause I think Mir will win again

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I think he will too. I'd rather see Nog/Cro Cop or Nog/Gonzaga or something like that ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanny One Ball View Post

In fact while I'm on this, whatever happened to Luke Cummo? That guy should have been one of the greatest of all time. He's impossible to knock out or submit but he'll fuckin fight all day.

Drinks piss but...

*does wiki*

I was re-reading old posts here and I discovered that I mention Luke Cummo quite a lot.
    Well I speak to him every now and then on FB and he's a pretty cool dude, but he's also really intense.
    Goes on about Dr Jubb and LifeFood all the time. It's a mad diet and even more hardcore than what he was doing on TUF 2. Raw food but no hybridised veg, starch or sugars...

He was supposed to be on the card for Fight for the Troops too, but his nose is fucked up. Says he's dropping to 155lbs after he completes his 100day cleanse...

I don't think he eats real food, seems to exist on a liquid diet...maybe that's why he lost his last two fights?

Strange fellow. I still love him though.
    Bloody nutter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I think he will too. I'd rather see Nog/Cro Cop or Nog/Gonzaga or something like that ..
    Nog/ Cro Cop is a great fight.
    I'd love that.

I don't know who I'd be rooting for though. Probably Cro Cop, but at the same time it'd be nice to see both of them fighting a guy closer to their own standard...i.e old and stiff...

╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand why Mark Hunt's been signed to UFC; can someone explain it to me please?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    He's exciting and can knock people out. He can definitely beat guys such as Kongo, Hardonk and Barry.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is a big fat bloke who can take punches to the head.

Rush
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Joe, what can you tell me about Mark Hunt as he makes way to the octagon?"
    "Well Mike, he's a big fat bloke who can take punches to the head."
    "Oh...okay then"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aside from Cro Cop...
    They'll line him up against Roy Nelson at some point.

That's why he's in there.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone hasnt seen Crocop/Hunt you really should. Crocop kicks him flush in the head like three times and he just keeps coming.

Hunt took some brutal shots from Ray Sefo and JLB back in the day. I am trying to think of a few more shots he has taken.

The punch that Manhoef knocked him out with is more testament to the power that he possesses even as a middleweight. I believe that is the only time he has been knocked out. I know Semmy Schilt stopped him with a cracker of a body kick but outside of that ??

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf9U0quIrB8"]YouTube- K1 DYNAMITE 2008 Mark Hunt vs Melvin Manhoef![/ame]

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    arggggggghhhh ok latest sherdog report.

they are debating who would win in an MMA fight between Manny Pacquiao and Georges St-Pierre.

Now, as one of the few guys to not totally shit on boxing as a base and not hate on James Toney etc even I have to lol at that. GSP outweighs him by at least 40 pounds. Good work Sherdog you mongs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was hoping for Belfort/Bisping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody wants to see Michael Bisping die, Pete.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bisping tries a lot of counter-striking. Vitor is way to fast for The Count.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanny One Ball View Post
    Nobody wants to see Michael Bisping die, Pete.
    Are you sure about that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of people hate Michael Bisping. Maybe it's because he was the coach on a season of TUF directly opposing Americans. Maybe it is because he came off as very cocky in a lot of situations. Maybe it's because people love Matt Hamill's touching story and Bisping is the one who robbed Hamill of his perfect record.

The being said, Bisping has composed himself with dignity, respect and class in all of the recent interviews I've read/seen, so my hatred for him is entirely gone.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just think that he's an incredibly limited fighter. Useless on the back foot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that Wanderlei fight was a disgrace.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I still don't care much for Bisping. Good fighter of course but his personality and air about him rub me the wrong way. I would pay money to see him get his head knocked off a la vs Henderson.

╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PMBR View Post
    That's a horrible main event. Bisping gains nothing by beating him at this point.

EDIT

Well nothing in the UK/US anyway; maybe his name will get bigger in Asia. For Akiyama after getting beaten by a guy who isn't as high in the UFC as Bisping a main event against him is an odd reward. A win for him could be a saving grace.

Akiyama really needs to drop down a weight class as he's too small at middleweight, Bisping's a naturally large middleweight and should make quick work of him, he should but he won't.
    Last edited by Lazurus; July 9th, 2010 at 12:03 PM.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I mean as much as I don't wanna see it .. Bisping/Leben II makes more sense than that. Oh well .. I don't have to pay for it or watch it on my computer so I won't complain.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL Tim Sylvia v. Paul Buentello for the PWP Heavyweight Title ..
    http://mmajunkie.com/news/19871/sylv...inland-ppv.mma

They're both quite deserving of a title. PWP must stand for Pudgy Warrior Promotion.

╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really want to see Leben/Bisping II either but it went to the judges and Lebens on the three fight tear; Akiyama's coming off a loss to him.

I'd prefer to see Bisping/Hamill II to either of them though. It has to be said that whilst some may consider the guys Hamill's beaten 'cans' his record stands up quite well. The decision with Bisping was close and if it'd gone the other way he'd be 10-1 with the only blemish on his record being Franklin.

But why not give Bisping a match against a big name to headline a PPV? I'm bored of him being so protected. Belfort's next in line for a title shot so he's out but Marquardt is on the undercard of 118 and Meia's fighting Belcher on Fight Night 22. Surely any of those three would prefer a main event against Bisping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bisping fighting Dan Henderson, Dan Miller, Denis Kang, Chris Leben, means he's being protected? And Akiyama, had his gas tank held out, would have won that fight by decision against Leben. I don't really care for Bisping, but I don't think he's being protected one bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dana said they want Leben to fight again soon and that he should fight a contender. Does Bisping/Akiyama free up Vitor for a fight with Leben? If so, I don't think Leben has a chance in hell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd prefer to see Bisping/Hamill II to either of them though. It has to be said that whilst some may consider the guys Hamill's beaten 'cans' his record stands up quite well. The decision with Bisping was close and if it'd gone the other way he'd be 10-1 with the only blemish on his record being Franklin.
    I don't think Hamill could cut to 185 and I don't think Bisping is interested in jumping back up.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno .. they make more money on shows in the states and 120 will only be a PPV in countries outside of US (their main PPV buyer) so I'd think they'd probably rather be on the undercard of Penn/Edgar II and Toney/Couture .. which is sure to be a pretty big PPV.

..and yeah, I don't like Bisping but to say he's been protected only made sense until the Hendo fight cuz he's been fighting top guys since then.. win or lose, fighting top guys.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I for one keep wondering how he even keeps getting such big fights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cuz the UFC want to add credibility to Bisping if he's going to lead the new breed of fighters from UK/Europe. Good thing for him is that 185 is pretty much all solid talent.