Thread: Rugby Thread

Warning. Rabidly Arsenal. eldanielfire's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyoza
    Ehem. *points to avatar

New Zealand's talent pool is more like a talent ocean.
    Ah but Zew Zealand never really get any better or carry though to the finals of the big ones. When was the last world cup win for the All Blacks?

Lots of talent but never enough key players at the right time.

Wales on the otehr hand after a period of crapness have come through strong. teh way they play makes them seemingly impossible to beat though I'm looking forward to them facing the tri-nations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eldanielfire
    Ah but Zew Zealand never really get any better or carry though to the finals of the big ones. When was the last world cup win for the All Blacks?

Lots of talent but never enough key players at the right time.

Wales on the otehr hand after a period of crapness have come through strong. teh way they play makes them seemingly impossible to beat though I'm looking forward to them facing the tri-nations.
    Yes, Wales has improved by leaps and bounds. On the other hand, New Zealand is one of three countries that have dominated in the age group levels and sevens levels since forever (the other two being South Africa and Australia in age groups and Fiji and England in sevens). And both are regarded as developmental systems for young players. Take a look at the average age of the Sevens players. Shit, the captain, Liam Messam, is part of the Under-21 team this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wellington 6 - 23 British and Irish Lions @ Wellington, New Zealand
    For Wellington:
    2 penalty goals by Jimmy Gopperth
    For Lions:
    Tries by Gethin Jenkins and Gareth Thomas
    2 conversions and 3 penalty goals by Jonny Wilkinson

To be honest, the Lions were far from impressive against a weakened Wellington side who were playing without Neemia Tialata (injury), Ross Kennedy (New Zealand A duty), Jerry Collins (All Blacks), Rodney So'oialo (All Blacks), Tana Umaga (All Blacks) and Conrad Smith (All Blacks), all of whom are key players. The Wellington coach, John Plumtree has since stated that the All Blacks fielded against Fiji would have beaten Wellington by 50 or 60 points. 23-6 is a very flattering score for the Lions.

Otago 19 - 30 British and Irish Lions @ Dunedin, New Zealand
    For Otago:
    Try by Danny Lee
    Conversion and 4 penalty goals by Nick Evans
    For Lions:
    Tries by Will Greenwood, Ryan Jones and Shane Williams
    3 conversions and 3 penalty goals by Charlie Hodgson

The man of the match was Ryan Jones, by a mile. He's probably played his way into the squad to be fielded against the All Blacks next week, albeit most likely as a reserve. There was also a huge improvement by Martyn Williams, who had struggled in his previous outings, being given a difficult time by Nili Latu in the match against the BOP Steamers and Marty Holah in the match against the NZ Maori. Charlie Hodgson also had a decent game, while Ronan O'Gara appears to be struggling. It's becoming increasingly apparent that of the 4 fly-halves, O'Gara is becoming more and more redundant. Gordon D'Arcy has also probably played his way out of the test team, as has Michael Owen, both of whom have been thoroughly average thus far.

Intercontinental Champion Hardcore Holly Fan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more match before the first test tomorrow. Clive said anyone who plays tomorrow game will not be playing in the 1st test. Which leads to the shock desion to name Gavin Henson in the side which leaves the space open for a Johnny Wilkinson shock call-up

. If that happens I think the lions can kiss the 1st test goodbye.

Henson has been a form man all season and hasn’t really had a bad game with the lions. When they took him off against Wellington the Lions looked a lesser force in attack and defence with the Grand Slam-winning Welshman off the field.

I’m hoping personally that it’s a bluff to mess up the New Zealand plans But I really don’t think Clive is as good as a coach as he made out to be. Through the whole tour the welsh boys have proven why they won the grand slam and apart from a few other have carried the team and im not just saying that because im Welsh.

The English veterans just aren’t doing on the field and Clive just doesn’t have enough trust in the other players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Henson's ommission from the test side has caused some quarters to go "What the hell?" We also think that Wilkinson will be the one put in the no. 12 jersey, since he didn't look that sharp against Wellington in the no. 10 jersey. That will probably end up going to Steven Jones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All Blacks test squad to face British and Irish Lions

1. Tony Woodcock - Blues/North Harbour
    2. Keven Mealamu - Blues/Auckland
    3. Carl Hayman - Highlanders/Otago
    4. Chris Jack - Crusaders/Canterbury
    5. Ali Williams - Blues/Auckland
    6. Jerry Collins - Hurricanes/Wellington
    7. Richie McCaw (Vice-Captain) - Crusaders/Canterbury
    8. Rodney So'oialo - Hurricanes/Wellington
    9. Justin Marshall - Crusaders/Canterbury
    10. Daniel Carter - Crusaders/Canterbury
    11. Sitiveni Sivivatu - Chiefs/Waikato
    12. Aaron Mauger - Crusaders/Canterbury
    13. Tana Umaga (Captain) - Hurricanes/Wellington
    14. Doug Howlett - Blues/Auckland
    15. Leon MacDonald - Crusaders/Canterbury

16. Derren Witcombe - Blues/Auckland
    17. Greg Somerville - Crusaders/Canterbury
    18. Jono Gibbes - Chiefs/Waikato
    19. Sione Lauaki - Chiefs/Waikato
    20. Byron Kelleher - Chiefs/Waikato
    21. Malili Muliaina - Blues/Auckland
    22. Rico Gear - Crusaders/Nelson Bays

Not many surprises here. MacDonald's form for the Crusaders and NZ Maori meant he pretty much forced his way into the squad, while Marshall has been playing some of the best rugby of his life this year. The only surprise is the ommission of James Ryan who had a pretty solid game against Fiji. If Williams plays like shit again, I won't be surprised if it's Ryan who gets the nod in Wellington. That being said, Gibbes deserves to be in the squad after his performance agains the Lions in Hamilton when he captained the Maori to victory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    British & Irish Lions squad to face the All Blacks in Wellington
    1. Gethin Jenkins - Wales
    2. Shane Byrne - Ireland
    3. Julian White - England
    4. Paul O'Connell - Ireland
    5. Ben Kay - England
    6. Richard Hill - England
    7. Neil Back - England
    8. Martin Corry (Vice-Captain) - England
    9. Dwayne Peel - Wales
    10. Stephen Jones - Wales
    11. Josh Lewsey - England
    12. Jonny Wilkinson - England
    13. Brian O'Driscoll (Captain) - Ireland
    14. Gareth Thomas - Wales
    15. Jason Robinson - England

16. Steve Thompson - England
    17. Graham Rowntree - England
    18. Danny Grewcock - England
    19. Ryan Jones - Wales
    20. Matt Dawson - England
    21. Will Greenwood - England
    22. Shane Horgan - Ireland

The test team is very close to what I assumed would be fielded in Wellington earlier, with a few key differences. This time last week, I was sure Gavin Henson would be used as inside centre. And I was sure Shane Williams would be used as a left wing. I also felt Chris Cusiter had the raw potential to be used in the squad, and that Lawrence Dallaglio would be fielded as a loose forward, but Cusiter has been distinctively unimpressive, while Dallaglio went on got injured. That being said, the team screams "Beatable". Andy Sheridan is so far the only Northern Hemisphere prop that has given Carl Hayman a hard time, and he'll be sitting in the stands probably wishing it was him playing. In fact, between now and last year, only 1 Northern Hemisphere side troubled the All Blacks and that was Wales, in which the ABs won 26-25. So anyway, the last time Julian White came down here, he was in a squad that was completely humiliated by the All Blacks, as was Richard Hill, Josh Lewsey, Steve Thompson, Danny Grewcock and Matt Dawson. Each player was exposed by their opposite number, particularly Hill who was spectacularly unimpressive against McCaw and then Marty Holah. The hooking stocks are nothing to get excited about, as they don't really offer anything we don't already see down here on a regular basis. Neil Back is also well past his best, and while admittedly Back got the better of McCaw in the one-off test in 2003, it is worth noting that McCaw has improved by leaps and bounds ever since then. Hell, in the aforementioned test against Wales, while he had a relatively subdued game, he was still responsible for having the turnover rate in the game 2-1 in favour of the ABs. And I seriously doubt if any of the Northern Hemisphere boys have anything that can contain someone like Sitiveni Sivivatu, who Graham Henry rates as the best winger in the world - and for good reason.

When the Lions lose, I just know Steven Jones (the "journalist", not the Welsh flyhalf) will scramble for an excuse.
    Last edited by Gyoza; June 22nd, 2005 at 4:01 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shocking just shocking. That could be one of the worst test teams I’ve ever seen I really hope they get thrashed. Terrible just terrible.

Shane Williams was the overall player of the six nations running circles around the other team. And Henson showed yesterday why they are going to miss him. The only player to play half decent at centre. Jason Robinson hasn’t scored a try since January for his club yet somehow gets a place.

Its interesting to see the breakdown of where the players are from too. From the 22 man squad.

England - 13
    Ireland - 4
    Wales – 5
    Scotland – 0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for the sake of reference, here's what I thought the Lions XV would look like at the start of the tour:

2. Shane Byrne - Ireland
    5. Ben Kay - England
    6. Lawrence Dallaglio - England (replaced with Hill after the BOP match for obvious reasons)
    7. Martyn Williams - Wales
    8. Martin Corry - England
    9. Chris Cusiter - Scotland
    11. Shane Williams - Wales
    12. Gavin Henson - Wales
    13. Brian O'Driscoll (Captain) - Ireland
    14. Jason Robinson - England
    15. Gareth Thomas - Wales

10 out of 15 ain't too shabby. I got 5 people wrong, and my other error was in the right-wing/fullback combination. I also feel there's a better representation of the four nations that compose the Lions in my XV. To be honest, I agree with Clive Woodward about Martyn Williams. He may have been the form flanker in the 6 Nations, but in New Zealand, he's been played out of the park two out of three games, and by players who aren't as good as McCaw (not a swipe at Nili Latu and Marty Holah, it's just that they aren't as good as McCaw. But then again, McCaw is considered to be the best openside flanker in the world). He wasn't too bad against Otago, but that was because he got a lot of help from his teammates in the breakdown area. Otago went with the double openside thing, but there's only so much Blackie and Newby could do when the Lions were lying all over the ball and cheating "like buggery".

Real Captain again gypsyjackson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the Lions lose, I just know Steven Jones (the "journalist", not the Welsh flyhalf) will scramble for an excuse.
    I love Stephen Jones' writing - everything he says is to wind you Kiwis up. And you have to admit, New Zealand are a South Pacific representative side, similar to the Lions. In fact, they should really be called the Pacific All Blacks

Seriously, I think the whole series will depend on refereeing, and whether the Tests are officiated in the Super 12, glorified sevens way, or in the Northern Hemisphere, real rugby way. Hehehe.

Other thoughts:

The front row will have to get used to the reffing quickly, as we can't afford to give away early penalties.

The lineout is a big weakness for the Lions, so it's good that Byrne has shown a bit of form.

We will probably play 10 man rugby, with our backs limited to counter attacks. I think this is a mistake, as to beat the Kiwis, you need to attack. The French tried to playing a holding game and were demolished.

Lock is a real problem for the Kiwis. Chris Jack is excellent, but I don't rate Williams as world class yet. Our locks, unfortunately haven't been performing to the best of their abilities.

I'd have liked to have seen Umaga paired with Nonu.

Marshall is a cunt (no reasoning, I just don't like him).

Here is my favoured test squad for the Lions (based mainly on performances this tour):
    15 Lewsey (why has Woodward swapped him back to wing?)
    14 Thomas
    13 O'Driscoll
    12 Henson
    11 Shanklin (I gather he was an injury risk)
    10 Jones
    9 Peel
    1 Jenkins
    2 Byrne
    3 White
    4 O'Connell
    5 Kay
    6 Easterby
    7 Back
    8 Corry

16 Thompson
    17 Sheridan
    18 Grewcock
    19 Jones
    20 Cusiter
    21 Wilkinson
    22 Robinson

I think that's the best squad available, or at least the one which would play the rugby I like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsyjackson
    I love Stephen Jones' writing - everything he says is to wind you Kiwis up. And you have to admit, New Zealand are a South Pacific representative side, similar to the Lions. In fact, they should really be called the Pacific All Blacks

Seriously, I think the whole series will depend on refereeing, and whether the Tests are officiated in the Super 12, glorified sevens way, or in the Northern Hemisphere, real rugby way. Hehehe.

Other thoughts:

The front row will have to get used to the reffing quickly, as we can't afford to give away early penalties.

The lineout is a big weakness for the Lions, so it's good that Byrne has shown a bit of form.

We will probably play 10 man rugby, with our backs limited to counter attacks. I think this is a mistake, as to beat the Kiwis, you need to attack. The French tried to playing a holding game and were demolished.

Lock is a real problem for the Kiwis. Chris Jack is excellent, but I don't rate Williams as world class yet. Our locks, unfortunately haven't been performing to the best of their abilities.

I'd have liked to have seen Umaga paired with Nonu.

Marshall is a cunt (no reasoning, I just don't like him).

Here is my favoured test squad for the Lions (based mainly on performances this tour):
    15 Lewsey (why has Woodward swapped him back to wing?)
    14 Thomas
    13 O'Driscoll
    12 Henson
    11 Shanklin (I gather he was an injury risk)
    10 Jones
    9 Peel
    1 Jenkins
    2 Byrne
    3 White
    4 O'Connell
    5 Kay
    6 Easterby
    7 Back
    8 Corry

16 Thompson
    17 Sheridan
    18 Grewcock
    19 Jones
    20 Cusiter
    21 Wilkinson
    22 Robinson

I think that's the best squad available, or at least the one which would play the rugby I like.
    Stephen Jones is full of shit when he calls the All Blacks a South Pacific representative side. All of the Fijian, Tongan and Samoan players have spent a significant part of their lives in New Zealand, if not born here. Players who were born overseas, like Joe Rokocoko and Jerome Kaino were raised in New Zealand as well (I went to school with Rokocoko and Kaino, BTW, so I know for a fact that they've grown up in New Zealand). Even Sitiveni Sivivatu, who had to do a mandatory 3-year stand down period, went to school here.

As for the locks, I'm surprised that James Ryan has been rested. Graham Henry probably went with experience, since Williams has played a significant number of matches for the All Blacks since the 2002 end-of-year tour. However, most people would agree that James Ryan is the better player of the two.
    Marshall deserves to be in the squad, considering how good he has been playing this year. While he did have the benefit of a complete squad (a dominant forward pack and a talented collection of backs) to work off of in the Super 12, he still played excellently and fully deserves his selection. Besides, after all the years he has devoted to the All Blacks, he deserves a good send-off like a winning series against the Lions.
    As for Nonu, well, once again, it was one of those either or decesions. Gear is a fine player in his own right, and Nonu, while a fantastic and versatile player (he can play 11, 12, 13 and 14), he still sometimes plays like an absolute bone-head and makes basic errors.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stephen Jones is full of shit when he calls the All Blacks a South Pacific representative side. All of the Fijian, Tongan and Samoan players have spent a significant part of their lives in New Zealand, if not born here. Players who were born overseas, like Joe Rokocoko and Jerome Kaino were raised in New Zealand as well (I went to school with Rokocoko and Kaino, BTW, so I know for a fact that they've grown up in New Zealand). Even Sitiveni Sivivatu, who had to do a mandatory 3-year stand down period, went to school here.
    I love Stephen Jones' writing - everything he says is to wind you Kiwis up.

I think you missed the point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you missed the point.
    I see the point. Stephen Jones writes a whole load of bullshit to piss off the Souther Hemisphere crowd. It should be noted that people who know who he is generally see him as a fuckwit who continuously talks out of his ass, and is seen as a joke over here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New Zealand All Blacks 21 - 3 British and Irish Lions at Christchurch, New Zealand
    For New Zealand:
    Tries by Ali Williams and Sitiveni Sivivatu
    Conversion and 3 penalty goals by Daniel Carter
    For Lions:
    Penalty goal by Jonny Wilkinson

Holy shit, dudes. The Lions sucked the big one tonight. All week, people were like "Yeah, the Lions ought to get domination up front" and "New Zealand's tight five has weakened in recent years". To which I say, "are Gethin Jenkins, Shane Byrne and Julian White the best you have?" Byrne played his way into the test team with some solid displays at hooker during the mid-week games, and had the ability to throw straight. Now, he has played his way back into the mid-week team, and out of the test side, giving away 10 line-out throws to the All Blacks. The only bright spot in a depressing Lions performance was substitute Ryan Jones, who came on during the 1st half. He should be in the starting line-up in Wellington. Also of note is the fact that both Hill and O'Driscoll are now injured, with O'Driscoll only getting about 30 seconds of play before being felled with a dislocated shoulder.

1 down, 2 to go.

Christchurch
    Wellington
    Auckland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m surprised you thought the match was going to be any different. Most people new this was one of the worst players to choose based on form. Only chosen because they know what it takes to beat New Zealand or in 2003 anyway. Boring boring lions. Its strange how the European game has evolved in the last two years and left England tactics lagging behind.

But on the plus side did I see Johnny Wilkinson tackle? Even though his kicking was abysmal I really have know idea why they didn’t change the kicking duties to Stephen Jones.I’m glad they got beat well so maybe we will see some players who deserve a play get a game in the next test.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the tight five would do a whole lot better than that, and that the players would you know, rise to the occasion. Instead, they all played like shit, with the exception of Ryan Jones who went out there and did the best he could. But hey, 1 good player and 15 useless lumps can not win a match.

Mind you, for all the talk about how the Northern Hemisphere scrums are superior and whatnot, not many people were actually worried about how the tight five would perform based on the test against France last year, where the French were reduced to asking for de-powered scrums.

I won't be surprised if Andy Sheridan is given a go in Wellington. Gethin Jenkins hardly troubled Carl Hayman last night, while Sheridan did in the Lions VS Maori match.

Here's what I assume the 15 will be in Wellington.

1. Andy Sheridan
    2. Steve Thompson
    3. Julian White
    4. Simon Shaw
    5. Danny Grewcock
    6. Martin Corry (C)
    7. Neil Back
    8. Ryan Jones
    9. Dwayne Peel
    10. Steven Jones/Jonny Wilkinson
    11. Shane Williams
    12. Gavin Henson
    13. Shane Horgan
    14. Josh Lewsey
    15. Gareth Thomas

The players I've named are either because there are a lack of others in that position, or because they've been the best I've seen in an otherwise unimpressive lot. The only exceptions are Andy Sheridan, Ryan Jones, Gavin Henson and Shane Williams who have actually impressed me with each appearance (in the case of Sheridan, I'm ignoring his brain explosion in the match agains the NZ Maori which put him in the bin and subsequently out of the match).

And for all the weaknesses of his performance last night, Wilkinson still was an effective tackler. He was admirable in defense. He needs a lot more time on the field, but there are occasinal flashes of the Wilkinson of old.
    Last edited by Gyoza; June 25th, 2005 at 4:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with Wilkinson is the fact that he is only showing it in flashes and that is not good enough for a Lions team, and then to play him in a different position is stupid. Personally I don’t think Wilkinson has done enough since the world cup to warrant selection for the tour never mind the test squad but then I am beginning to wonder if Woodward has watched Rugby since the world cup or is becoming too interested with the Southampton football team. Its hard to look at the game and pick out any hope for the next two games, I wasn’t confident with the selection leading into the game and I didn’t want to be proven right but New Zealand are a great team and to pick some of the players, especially the English lads, and leaving out some of the players that are in form seemed like suicide. Although it wouldn’t surprise me to see Jason Robinson playing the next game as well

Although you cant take anything away from the All Blacks as they were superb, especially the Sivivatu try which was brilliant play. The pass leading to the try (forgot who supplied it) would be a great pass in any match but when you consider the conditions it makes it even better. The only thing I didn’t like was the cheap shot at O’Driscoll at the start of the match. New Zealand knew what they were doing there, I was surprised though to see the Lions just let it go without hitting back in anyway, but throughout the game we didn’t look like we want to be there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O'Driscoll has come out swinging in regards to that late tackle which put him out of the rest of the tour. But then, when Umaga and Mealamu tackled him, it was when a ruck had formed, and it was right in front of the touch judge and referee. They did nothing about it, and they haven't been cited after the fact, so that suggests that there was nothing in it. Grewcock apparently bit one of the All Blacks, so he should be suspended for that.

It was kind of sad seeing Neil Back out there. Woodward said that he was confident that Back will give McCaw no end of troubles, based on how Back fared against him in Wellington two years ago. What Woodward failed to take into account is: Back has deteriorated since 2003 while McCaw has improved by leaps and bounds.

It was refreshing to see Corry basically state that the Lions played like shit and the All Blacks were bloody excellent out there. On the other hand, the Lions don't really have a whole lot to be optimistic about.

The biggest problem for the Lions, and there are many, is that they haven't played enough matches together. When you look at the All Blacks starting XV that were fielded, you'll notice that with a few exceptions, many of them have been in the team for ages. Woodcock, Mealamu, Hayman, Jack, Williams, Collins, So'oialo, Carter, Mauger, Umaga and Howlett were all in the starting XV in that match against France last year, while MacDonald and Marshall have played in the All Blacks for a significant amount of time - particularly Marshall. Further, you have a freak of nature like Sivivatu on the left wing, and you've got a recipe for success. It also helps that Williams, Marshall and Howlett have rediscovered their form.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man the Lion's were shit.

I agree where Wilkingson only shows flashes of what he once was. certainly his kicking is very average. Woodward was so bias in his selections. He can't live off the world cup forever. He's forgotton that the rugby world moved on. Wales are 6 nations champs and Ireland beat England. England have half a wilkinson, a new back line and no Johnson (Who I think is severly missed on many levels). Repicking the world cup squad, who have mostly been shit since was not a good idea with so many other on better form.

But Byrne. He was The all blacks man of the match. I've seen 11 year old children throw better than him.

Jobber
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone who though the Lions were actually going to come close to beating the All Blacks were either high or stupid! As a al black fan i would love to see it happene in the two remaining game s(which it prob will) Wilko needs to be the first five , henson in 2nd, williams to wing, robinson to wing and lewsey to fullback, your tight five got killed last night and neil back is too old esp when your playing a freak like mcaw!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man the Lion's were shit.

I agree where Wilkingson only shows flashes of what he once was. certainly his kicking is very average. Woodward was so bias in his selections. He can't live off the world cup forever. He's forgotton that the rugby world moved on. Wales are 6 nations champs and Ireland beat England. England have half a wilkinson, a new back line and no Johnson (Who I think is severly missed on many levels). Repicking the world cup squad, who have mostly been shit since was not a good idea with so many other on better form.

But Byrne. He was The all blacks man of the match. I've seen 11 year old children throw better than him.
    It's not all Byrne's fault. He's usually a better thrower than he was on Saturday. It should also be taken into account that the line-out targets were also completely confused, and had no idea what they were doing. At one point O'Connell would look like he's preparing to jump, and then Ben Kay would start preparing to jump, and then it would go back to O'Connell and then Kay and then Corry and then back to Kay and then O'Connell and then back to Corry and then Kay again, etc. The tight five had no fucking clue what was going on at the line-outs. As a result, Byrne had no idea who to throw to, and the combination of Chris Jack and Ali Williams capitalised on it.

The Lions have now lost another player, this time due to disciplinary matters. Danny Grewcock is banned for two months after he decided to bite Keven Mealamu's fingers. He did this during a ruck, and he has once again shown he's an undisciplined plonker.

The Lions captaincy has now been given to Gareth Thomas.

In other news:

Australia 69 - 21 Italy at Melbourne, Australia
    For Australia:
    Tries by Lote Tuqiri (4), George Gregan, Matt Giteau, Mark Chisholm, Wendell Sailor, Mat Rogers, David Lyons and Jeremy Paul
    6 conversions by Giteau
    Conversion by Stirling Mortlock
    For Italy:
    Tries by Andrea Lo Cicero, Antonio Mannato and Mauro Bergamasco
    3 conversions by Gert Peens

South Africa 27 - 13 France at Port Elizabeth, South Africa
    For South Africa:
    Tries by Bryan Habana (2) and Jean de Villiers
    3 conversions and 2 penalty goals by Percy Montgomery
    For France:
    Try by Frederic Michalak
    Penalty goal by Michalak
    Penalty goal by Dimitri Yachvilli

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O'Driscoll has come out swinging in regards to that late tackle which put him out of the rest of the tour. But then, when Umaga and Mealamu tackled him, it was when a ruck had formed, and it was right in front of the touch judge and referee. They did nothing about it, and they haven't been cited after the fact, so that suggests that there was nothing in it.
    Have you seen it? The ball was played away from the ruck when the two All Black players speared O'Driscoll, picked him up and slammed him down almost head first into the ground. O'Driscoll is right, they could have broken his neck, to say there is nothing in it is stupid.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not all Byrne's fault. He's usually a better thrower than he was on Saturday. It should also be taken into account that the line-out targets were also completely confused, and had no idea what they were doing. At one point O'Connell would look like he's preparing to jump, and then Ben Kay would start preparing to jump, and then it would go back to O'Connell and then Kay and then Corry and then back to Kay and then O'Connell and then back to Corry and then Kay again, etc. The tight five had no fucking clue what was going on at the line-outs. As a result, Byrne had no idea who to throw to, and the combination of Chris Jack and Ali Williams capitalised on it.
    thats what amde the match so confusing. How can the best players of 4 great Rugby countries, mostly players who have won a world cup or six nations grandslam, with time to prepare, teams to practise against completly fail to organise for a throw?

They were completly clueless for each one. I think some of the stats shown 20-3 wins for the kiwi's in throws How could they be so fucking bad? They didn't even learn and improve after half time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J
    Have you seen it? The ball was played away from the ruck when the two All Black players speared O'Driscoll, picked him up and slammed him down almost head first into the ground. O'Driscoll is right, they could have broken his neck, to say there is nothing in it is stupid.
    The All Blacks went in with the intention of firing Lions players right out of the rucks, mainly because they showed against Otago that if given half the chance, they'll go right in there and lie down all over the ball. O'Driscoll tried to get into the ruck, and he got thrown out of it by two very physcial players. Yes, the ball was already out, but then again, this happened behind Umaga and Mealamu's backs, so they most likely didn't see this. And it happened right in front of the touch judge, who did nothing, and an independent citing commissioner has looked at all the footage available on the incident, and has ruled that no further action will be taken because he feels that there was no malicious intent in it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worth noting that the suspended Danny Grewcock is being replaced by lock Brent Cockbain who I believe should have been with the squad in the first place. And also Scotland flanker Jason White replaces the injured Richard Hill.

Nice to see Gareth Thomas get the captaincy. Hess a proven leader and think will make a much better captain than Corry who I didn’t even know was captain till around halftime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woodward spent all of yesterday calling several press conferences where he, O'Driscoll and Gareth Thomas sat there and bitched and moaned about the incident. One starts to feel that the Lions are trying to distract people from the fact that a) the Lions played like shit and b) the Lions have done similar things on occasion during the tour - Martin Corry doing the occasional one-two step on several people during the test match, Grewcock taking a bite out of Mealamu (and getting banned for the third time after a match with New Zealand, in as many visits here), Gordon D'Arcy doing a very dangerous tackle on NZ Maori centre Rua Tipoki (who would have fucked D'Arcy up if he wasn't on a short leash due to the fact that he has a bit of a reputation) and Andy Sheridan throwing a punch at Luke McAlister during that match with the Maori (and missing despite the fact that they were less than a metre away from each other).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All Blacks squad to face Lions at Wellington on Saturday (and hopefully take the series)

9. Byron Kelleher - Chiefs/Waikato
    14. Rico Gear - Crusaders/Nelson Bays
    15. Malili Muliaina - Blues/Auckland

20. Justin Marshall - Crusaders/Canterbury
    21. Ma'a Nonu - Hurricanes/Wellington
    22. Leon MacDonald - Crusaders/Canterbury

3 changes in the starting XV from the last test, all three among the backs. Kelleher, Gear and Muliaina get the nods ahead of Marshall, Howlett and MacDonald respectively. Marshall and MacDonald are both on the bench though, so expect to see them fielded at some point. James Ryan and Campbell Johnstone have yet to be named in any squads, while Anton Oliver is once again unavailable due to injury. However, I expect to see them fielded at Auckland in a week and a half.

Graham Henry has defended Umaga and Mealamu, and has accused Woodward of trying to use the incident to overshadow a very poor performance by the Lions in Christchurch.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Henry
    Brian's a top player and a top person and we've a lot of sympathy... But there's no way that All Blacks players go out to maim the opposition. They never have done and they don't do it now. It's not part of team policy.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugb...al/4629003.stm
    Both Umaga and Mealamu are definitely not dirty players, and this is most likely just a case of aggressive play gone bad. I mean, Umaga did receive an award from the IOC last year for fair play, and Colin Charvis would most likely agree with what Henry said, if given the opportunity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    British and Irish Lions to face All Blacks at Wellington

2. Steve Thompson (Vice-Captain) - England
    5. Donncha O'Callaghan - Ireland
    6. Simon Easterby - Ireland
    7. Lewis Moody - England
    8. Ryan Jones - Wales
    9. Dwayne Peel - Wales
    10. Jonny Wilkinson - England
    11. Shane Williams - Wales
    12. Gavin Henson - Wales
    13. Gareth Thomas (C) - Wales
    14. Jason Robinson - England
    15. Josh Lewsey - England

16. Shane Byrne - Ireland
    18. Martin Corry - England
    19. Martyn Williams - Wales
    21. Stephen Jones - Wales

Hm. A huge improvement on the last team, and it's hardly surprising that the new golden boy of the Lions - Ryan Jones - is in the starting XV. Shane Williams certainly deserves to be there, but I wouldn't read too much into the win over Manawatu. Manawatu is a mid-level team in the NPC second division, filled with amateur players who were back at work this morning.

And Umaga has finally spoken in regards to that tackle:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugb...al/4633045.stm

It should be noted that noone gives a shit about this anymore in New Zealand, and maybe Clive should take a hint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow that’s a much better team. Forgot we actually had a few world-class players on the sidelines. Nice to see they have brought in a few changes maybe the backs will have a decent run out.

The only picks that don’t look very strong are Robinson and Wilkinson. I really don’t know how they retained there places. If your put in a side to kick you have to be in some sort of form Wilkos kicking was atrocious

This is what one of our papers on Sunday (New of the world)

“I could have broken my neck” Then if has a massive picture of the incident and the article slates the all blacks

Next story

WILKINSON back proving all his enemy’s wrong because he made some killer tackles!!! Let’s just forget his kicking was shite because he is god. (Im not joking that’s how it reads more or less got a massive 7-10 lions man of the match)

Until near the end it s says but the lions did play shit anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woodward spent all of yesterday calling several press conferences where he, O'Driscoll and Gareth Thomas sat there and bitched and moaned about the incident. One starts to feel that the Lions are trying to distract people from the fact that a) the Lions played like shit and b) the Lions have done similar things on occasion during the tour - Martin Corry doing the occasional one-two step on several people during the test match...
    That's almost certainly a result of Alistair Campbell being on tour. He's the master of Straw Man press tactics. I didn't notice Corry stamping in the test. Rucking, certainly, but you shouldn't be on the wrong side of the ball. Grewcock is a twat. If he could control his temper, and improve his line out, he could be world class. Shame, really.

Both Umaga and Mealamu are definitely not dirty players, and this is most likely just a case of aggressive play gone bad. I mean, Umaga did receive an award from the IOC last year for fair play, and Colin Charvis would most likely agree with what Henry said, if given the opportunity.
    I've been thinking about that - it's right that Umaga isn't noted for foul play. In the match, though, he also dumped Josh Lewsey. I think he was just fired up. As for the O'Driscoll incident, they were just clearing out. He's hasn't been enough of a threat this tour to make it worthwhile taking him out. Unfortunate, that's all.

The next team is much better, but still no place for Sheridan...or Shaw, even, in O'Kelly's and now Grewcock's absence - Corry is an ok jumper, but I'd prefer a specialist on the bench.

The English press is gash when it comes to Wilkinson. Very frustrating. He is not the player he was 2 years ago, and still needs rehabilitation. I hope he is OK for the next Lions tour, but we'll probably have moved on by then(Terrible, really, that I'm already thinking about 2009!)

Another frustration has been our lock play. Before the tour, I'd have argued that we had much more depth of talent at lock than the Kiwis, but we have really struggled there.

Gyoza - do you play? If you went to school with Rokocoko, I'd imagine your coaches must be a bit good. Also, where do you read Stephen Jones? He writes here for the Sunday Times, and also in Rugby World. Is he big down there (so to speak)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's almost certainly a result of Alistair Campbell being on tour. He's the master of Straw Man press tactics. I didn't notice Corry stamping in the test. Rucking, certainly, but you shouldn't be on the wrong side of the ball. Grewcock is a twat. If he could control his temper, and improve his line out, he could be world class. Shame, really.

I've been thinking about that - it's right that Umaga isn't noted for foul play. In the match, though, he also dumped Josh Lewsey. I think he was just fired up. As for the O'Driscoll incident, they were just clearing out. He's hasn't been enough of a threat this tour to make it worthwhile taking him out. Unfortunate, that's all.

The next team is much better, but still no place for Sheridan...or Shaw, even, in O'Kelly's and now Grewcock's absence - Corry is an ok jumper, but I'd prefer a specialist on the bench.

The English press is gash when it comes to Wilkinson. Very frustrating. He is not the player he was 2 years ago, and still needs rehabilitation. I hope he is OK for the next Lions tour, but we'll probably have moved on by then(Terrible, really, that I'm already thinking about 2009!)

Another frustration has been our lock play. Before the tour, I'd have argued that we had much more depth of talent at lock than the Kiwis, but we have really struggled there.

Gyoza - do you play? If you went to school with Rokocoko, I'd imagine your coaches must be a bit good. Also, where do you read Stephen Jones? He writes here for the Sunday Times, and also in Rugby World. Is he big down there (so to speak)?
    Umaga has finally made statements in regards to the incident, and what he said was that it's a shitty thing to have happened, but hey, let's move on. He also said he'll contact O'Driscoll once the series is over and wants to have a talk with him about it, but right now his team is his priority. As to why he didn't go over to O'Driscoll when he was down? It was very early in the match, and once again, he felt that his team should be a higher priority.

As for the current team, I'm surprised that Sheridan is not selected again. Aside from his brain cramp during the match against the Maori, he's been one of the few players who has actually done a decent job. I can understand why Jenkins has been given the nod ahead of him, since Jenkins offers more around the field than Sheridan, but he should be worth having around on the bench.

I just don't see why they keep giving Wilkinson chance after chance after chance. Yes, he saved the Lions from a humiliating defeat to what was basically a third string Argentinian side, and has done some nice tackles. However, he's only showing his 2000~2003 form in flashes. Jones should have been given the no. 10 jersey.

As for the line-outs, you won't believe what Woodward has been saying now. The Lions line-out was shit, because apparently the All Blacks cheated. When they lose the next match, and thus the series, Woodward will probably talk about how, I dunno, Graham Henry, Steve Hansen, Wayne Smith and Sir Brian Lochore used voodoo magic on key Lions players.

As for Stephen Jones, I occasionally read his columns on the Sunday Times webiste for shits and giggles. He's pretty much seen as a joke down here. After the test match last year against France, I remember he wrote something to the effect of "New Zealand, Australia and South Africa haven't produced any world class forwards." Our reaction was pretty much "Ahaha, what a stupid asshole." I guess in his fantasy world, people like Carl Hayman, Richie McCaw, Jerry Collins, Tony Woodcock, Keven Mealamu, Chris Jack, Ali Williams, George Smith, Phil Waugh, David Lyons, Nathan Sharpe, Daniel Vickerman, Jeremy Paul, Bill Young, John Smit, Bakkies Botha, Victor Matfield, Schalk Burger, Pedrie Wannenburg, Joe van Niekerk and Jacques Cronje don't exist, and Schalk Burger definitely DIDN'T win the IRB Player of the Year award last year. No sir. That never happened, and those people don't exist. And the French were definitely not reduced to asking for uncontested scrums against New Zealand. Nuh-uh.

I did play some rugby at high school as a prop, but I didn't pursue it. Not because I sucked, (I did, but I had no pretentions of ever representing New Zealand anyway), but rather because I lived on the other side of Auckland, and it became a bit of a strain on my school work. In the 1999~2001 seasons, St. Kentigern College was a force to be reckoned with, with future All Blacks Joe Rokocoko and Jerome Kaino running wild. However, in 2002, all the students in the first XV graduated, except for 1. The coach then moved to a different school, after some conflict with the new headmaster. St. Kentigern College has since been relegated into a second-tier competition. It's quite ignominious, especially when thinking about how strong my school was only a few years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There has been a change in the All Blacks starting XV to face the Lions in Wellington.

3. Greg Somerville - Crusaders/Canterbury

17. Campbell Johnstone - Crusaders/Canterbury

Greg Somerville is a decent replacement for Carl Hayman, and Campbell Johnstone is a very good scrummager who forced his way into the team in the trial match, after spending most of the 2004 NPC and 2005 Super 12 seasons on the bench for Canterbury and the Crusaders, respectively, behind Greg Somerville. I doubt he's very well known among the Northern Hermisphere players. He's not even that well known over here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this on the BBC Rugby Union Scrum V message board:

Hi lads, have you all caught up with the latest press release?
    Umaga 'out of credit'

All Black Captain Tana Umaga has redeemed himself from a week of controversy by phoning crocked Lions rugby captain Brian O'Driscoll to apologise for the 'spear tackle' that ended his tour, and revealed to O'Driscoll he would have called sooner but his mobile was 'out of credit'.

Umaga said he was 'real sorry' about O'Driscoll's injury, but reminded his opposite that rugby was a contact sport and that accidents happen, and if he didn't like it he shouldn't go trying to get the ball when the All Blacks want it.

O'Driscoll expressed his forgiveness to Umaga, explaining he thought The game was supposed to be played under touch rugby rules. He said it Was 'swell' of Umaga to call.

The apology has started a flood of similar calls between former rugby foes. Rua Tipoki of NZ Maori has revealed his relief at receiving a call from Lion Gordon D'Arcy to apologise for the late spear tackle he executed on the centre during the Lions match against NZ Maori earlier in the month.

A tearful Tipoki said "Bro, it's about bloody time, eh. I've been sat by the phone for weeks waiting for him to call. He could have bloody killed me, the barstard!".

Maori coach Matt Te Pou said he had intended to take a tape of the D'Arcy incident to the press after the Lions v Maori match to protest At the incident, but chose not to "'cos only a real fuckin' whinging loser would do that sort of shit, eh".

Wayne Shelford has confirmed a call from French Rugby Federation officials, apologising for the impromptu removal of his left testicle by the French forward pack in 1989. Johan Le Roux and Sean Fitzpatrick were seen today holding hands in an Auckland park, the pair apparently having made up for their differences from 1994 when Le Roux bit Fitzpatrick's left ear.

Le Roux endorsed the new trend of apologising for every single Physical act in a game of rugby. The former Springbok prop said that bottling up all that guilt over the years had made him feel all bad inside and it was good to get it out and reveal his true feelings for Fitzpatrick, Who he described as his hero.

Danny Grewcock admitted he "had a bit of ringing round to do".

Richard Loe's phone has been engaged all day.

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    48-18 to the referee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by da_man
    48-18 to the referee
    Piss off and stop blaming the referee for the Lions series loss. The Lions were completely outplayed and the All Blacks showed why they are the number 1 ranked team in the world at the moment. The Lions played well, admittedly, it's just that the All Blacks were that much better.

New Zealand 48 - 18 British and Irish Lions
    For New Zealand:
    Tries by Daniel Carter (2), Tana Umaga, Sitiveni Sivivatu and Richie McCaw
    4 conversions and 5 penalty goals by Carter
    For British and Irish Lions:
    Tries by Gareth Thomas and Simon Easterby
    Conversion and 2 penalty goals by Jonny Wilkinson

I ate them before they ate me El Capitano Gatisto's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Daniel Carter was fucking amazing. What an incredible athlete. He doesn't look particularly big, but tackles were bouncing off him all over the place, and his pace was incredible. His kicking was impeccable.

Can't argue with that loss, the All Blacks were superior. They are a cheating bunch of bastards, but they're also far too good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Australia 37 - 31 France at Brisbane, Australia
    For Australia:
    Tries by Morgan Turinui (2), Stephen Larkham, Chris Latham, Wendell Sailor and Jeremy Paul
    Conversion and penalty goal by Matt Giteau
    Conversion by Mat Rogers
    For France:
    Tries by Cedric Heymans, Julien Laharrague, Damien Traille and Julien Candelon
    4 conversions and penalty goal by Jean-Baptiste Elissalde

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both Carter and Mauger are out of the next test due to injury. It's a bit of a worry, but New Zealand are spoilt in the fly-half and centre positions. I expect Umaga to be fielded in the no. 12 jersey with either Mils Muliaina or Conrad Smith in the no. 13 jersey. If Muliaina plays as an outside centre, then Leon MacDonald will definitely be fileded as a fullback. As for fly-half, we have Nick Evans (Highlanders/Otago), Luke McAlister (Blues/North Harbour) and David Hill (Chiefs/Waikato) to choose from, so I'm not too worried. If someone new gets called up, it will probably be Nick Evans.

Oh and this:

British and Irish Lions squad to face Auckland at Auckland
    1. Andy Sheridan - England
    2. Gordon Bullock (Captain) - Scotland
    3. John Hayes - Ireland
    4. Simon Shaw - England
    5. Ben Kay - England
    6. Jason White - Scotland
    7. Martyn Williams - Wales
    8. Michael Owen - Wales
    9. Matt Dawson - England
    10. Charlie Hodgson - England
    11. Denis Hickie - Ireland
    12. Gordon D'Arcy - Ireland
    13. Will Greenwood - England
    14. Mark Cueto - England
    15. Geordan Murphy - Ireland

16. Andy Titterrell - England
    17. Matt Stevens - England
    18. Brent Cockbain - Wales
    19. Martin Corry - England
    20. Chris Cusiter - Scotland
    21. Ronan O'Gara - Ireland
    Last edited by Gyoza; July 2nd, 2005 at 10:36 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that wales winning the Six Nations has been put into perspective. Many Welsh people were saying that they could now challenge other teams in the world but it is now clear that the Southern Hemisphere is playing rugby in another dimension to the North.

New Zealand played well and deserved the victory. Sure the reff had an off game but still we should not have lost that heavily. I still think it was a bit unlucky that nothing happened with the O'Drisscol thing, and we were unlucky to have Wilkinson go off at the time he did. But there we go.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Australia 37 - 31 France at Brisbane, Australia
    For Australia:
    Tries by Morgan Turinui (2), Stephen Larkham, Chris Latham, Wendell Sailor and Jeremy Paul
    Conversion and penalty goal by Matt Giteau
    Conversion by Mat Rogers
    For France:
    Tries by Cedric Heymans, Julien Laharrague, Damien Traille and Julien Candelon
    4 conversions and penalty goal by Jean-Baptiste Elissalde
    I am not the biggest lover of rugby union but that was an exciting game. Although how soft was the defense on Larkhams try.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by viva_la_raza
    I think that wales winning the Six Nations has been put into perspective. Many Welsh people were saying that they could now challenge other teams in the world but it is now clear that the Southern Hemisphere is playing rugby in another dimension to the North.

New Zealand played well and deserved the victory. Sure the reff had an off game but still we should not have lost that heavily. I still think it was a bit unlucky that nothing happened with the O'Drisscol thing, and we were unlucky to have Wilkinson go off at the time he did. But there we go.

I can see where you’re coming from but all the best lions players have been Welsh throughout the tour. And when they have to play using outdated tactics from the 2003 they where never going to win. Last time we played New Zealand it was a really close game. It could be argued that New Zealand where playing there youngsters. But our team in only a young side too.

On November 5th I got a feeling its going to be one hell of a game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore Holly Fan
    I can see where you’re coming from but all the best lions players have been Welsh throughout the tour. And when they have to play using outdated tactics from the 2003 they where never going to win. Last time we played New Zealand it was a really close game. It could be argued that New Zealand where playing there youngsters. But our team in only a young side too.

On November 5th I got a feeling its going to be one hell of a game.
    You also have to take into account that some of the Welsh players who were impressive in the Six Nations turned out to be duds in their test debuts. Shane Williams spent most of the test match in Wellington being pushed around by the All Blacks, usually being batted away like he was an insignificant irritation, while Gavin Henson seemed to spend most of the match looking stunned at an oncoming onslaught - aside from one try-saving tackle on Rico Gear. The only times these Welsh boyos have shone is when they played provincial sides that struggle every year like Southland or Manawatu, which is a second-tier union stocked with amateurs and part-timers. Even Wellington, who came second in last year's NPC competition was depleted, losing many key players to New Zealand Juniors and All Blacks duty, save for Ma'a Nonu who hadn't been named in the 22 at Chistchurch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a photo that nicely sums up the test series thus far:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like Wilko has just woken up from an operation and found he’s in a lions test.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard to fault the commitment, guts and effort of Wilkinson. Even if he is injury prone, he's throwing himself in there and doing some nice tackles. However, he's going to have to start thinking about easing up on those big hits and whatnot - basically play like Norm Maxwell.

Maxwell's spine is all messed up after 10 years of first-class rugby, and he is now physically incapable of playing an 80-minute match. He also plays using his brain and only does what he needs to do as a lock, and doesn't try to extend himself too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Auckland 13 - 17 British and Irish Lions
    For Auckland:
    Try by Isakeli Nacewa
    Conversion and 2 penalty goals by Brent Ward
    For Lions:
    Try by Martyin Williams
    Penalty goal by Charlie Hodgson
    3 penalty goals by Ronan O'Gara

Hardly a convincing win by the mid-week team. Ben Kay is out of the test match, after coming off second best in a punch-up with Auckland inside centre Sam Tuitupou. He joins Ollie Smith, Andrew Sheridan and Charlie Hodgson on the "out of contention" list. Tuitupou has been cited for stamping on Gordon D'Arcy and is now out for six weeks. This is the second time he has faced similar charges, having done something similar to Richie McCaw in the Blues VS Crusaders match during this year's Super 12 competition. Graham Rowntree has also been cited, but he can play in the final test match, provided he gets selected (which he most likely will).

Finally,

All Blacks squad to face British and Irish Lions at Auckland
    3. Greg Somerville - Crusaders/Canterbury
    7. Rodney So'oialo - Hurricanes/Wellington
    8. Sione Lauaki - Chiefs/Waikato
    10. Luke McAlister - Blues/North Harbour
    12. Tana Umaga (Captain) - Hurricanes/Wellington
    13. Conrad Smith - Hurricanes/Wellington

17. Campbell Johnstone - Crusaders/Canterbury
    18. James Ryan - Highlanders/Otago
    19. Marty Holah - Chiefs Waikato
    21. Nick Evans - Highlanders/Otago
    22. Doug Howlett - Blues/Auckland

The changes in the starting XV are forced due to injury, with Leon MacDonald being fielded in the flyhalf position. While he is primarily a fullback, he played flyhalf in his season in Japan, and was the primary goalkicker for Yamaha, so he's not exactly inexperienced in that department. On the bench, James Ryan finally gets his shot against the Lions, taking Jono Gibbes' place on the bench, while Luke McAlister looks to be finally getting his debut test cap for the All Blacks, after missing out on playing during the 2004 end-of-year tour. The pairing of Conrad Smith and Tana Umaga is a reliable combination, at NPC, Super 12 and test level.

Edit: change in line-up after Richie McCaw and Leon MacDonald were both ruled out of the test. Marty Holah is on the bench with So'oialo playing openside and Lauaki taking the No. 8 spot. McAlister will now start as flyhalf, with Evans on the bench.

On the lions side, Jonny Wilkinson and Gavin Henson are both now ruled out of Saturday's test.
    Last edited by Gyoza; July 6th, 2005 at 9:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    British and Irish Lions squad to face All Blacks at Auckland

2. Steve Thompson - England
    4. Donncha O'Callaghan - Ireland
    5. Paul O'Connel - Ireland
    6. Simon Easterby - Ireland
    7. Lewis Moody - England
    8. Ryan Jones - Wales
    9. Dwayne Peel - Wales
    11. Josh Lewsey - England
    12. Gareth Thomas (Captain) - Wales
    13. Will Greenwood - England
    14. Mark Cueto - England
    15. Geordan Murphy - Ireland

16. Shane Byrne - Ireland
    18. Martin Corry - England
    19. Martyn Williams - Wales
    21. Ronan O'Gara - Ireland

It's an unchanged forward pack and a re-shuffled backline. Dwayne Peel, Josh Lewsey and Gareth Thomas are the only players to be retained among the backs from the last test match. With a weakened All Blacks squad up against them, this should be an interesting contest. I expect the All Blacks to win anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, with the final match to be played tomorrow, try making a top XV of Lions players from this tour.

1. Gethin Jenkins (Wales) - he truly has been the best Lions loosehead prop in this tour. While Andy Sheridan was the better scrummager, it was Jenkins who was a lot more impressive around the field.

2. Gordon Bulloch (Scotland) - he captained the midweek team to an undefeated tour, and has been an exemplary tourist. Aside from a few wobbly throws at line-out time, he has generally been solid and has done the basics right. Honourable mention goes to Steve Thompson.

3. Julian White (England) - because he sucked less than John Hayes, while Matt Stevens has hardly impressed. If White, Hayes and Stevens are the best tighthead props in Britain and Ireland, then you lot are in a lot of trouble.

4. Simon Shaw (England) - one of the few Lions locks that has actually impressed anyone. Still, he was confined to mid-week clashes. Has had some really good games.

5. Donncha O'Callaghan (Ireland) - because he sucked less than Ben Kay and Paul O'Connel, while Brent Cockbain has hardly had a chance to do anything. Is it just that the locks on this tour failed to deliver, or is there a crisis developing in that area post-Martin Johnson?

6. Simon Easterby (Ireland) - very impressive. It's actually a wonder why this man was not among the 44+1 that was initially selected.

7. Lewis Moody (England) - because he was less unimpressive than Neil Back. Back was completely exposed as an ageing has-been trying to keep up with the young'uns. Moody on the other hand was completely outplayed by Richie McCaw in the second test, but still acquitted himself with honour. The form openside in the 6 Nations, Martyn Williams has completely left New Zealanders unimpressed.

8. Ryan Jones (Wales) - See Easterby, Simon. Lawrence Dallaglio and Simon Taylor hardly got a chance to impress, while Martin Corry and Michael Owen were underwhelming.

9. Dwayne Peel (Wales) - He has been the form scrumhalf in what is admittedly a very well contested position. Still, more of Chris Cusiter would've been nice.

10. Charlie Hodgson (England) - He has been the surprise of the tour. Restricted to mid-week clashes, he still has impressed people with his creative plays and solid kicking game. Far superior to the out-of-sorts Ronan O'Gara, the blah Stephen Jones and underwhelming Jonny Wilkinson.

11. Shane Williams (Wales) - One of the few wingers that actually impressed people on the tour. Still, he's only selected because there's no one else. Complete non-factor in his one test match, unfortunately.

12. Gavin Henson (Wales) - See Williams, Shane (only replace "winger" with "inside centre"). Gordon D'Arcy was less impressive, while Henson at least had a good go in his mid-week matches.

13. Gareth Thomas (Wales) - Very effective and combative outside centre. A very good replacement for Brian O'Driscoll. O'Driscoll himself has been underwhelming (that's been the theme of the tour), while Greenwood has been pretty much unseen.

14. Mark Cueto (England) - See Easterby, Simon. Jason Robinson has played like shit in his appearance as winger.

15. Josh Lewsey (England) - One of the few impressive players on tour. After a nightmare appearance last year against the All Blacks during England's tour to this part of the world, he has completely redeemed himself in my view. A class player that seized what chances he could to shine. Jason Robinson was a huge disappointment, while Geordan Murphy has hardly registered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bbc
    There will be a minute's silence before Saturday's third Test between the Lions and New Zealand as a mark of respect for the victims of the London bombings.
    "We do not believe it would be the right response to cancel the Test," said Lions tour manager Bill Beaumont.
    "At times like this, the relative significance of sport is put into its proper perspective - it is not a matter of life and death.
    "But the third Test is an important event to many people."
    Beaumont said the Lions players and management had been following the events in London closely but none of the touring party had family or close friends directly affected.
    "The British and Irish Lions condemn unreservedly those responsible for the London bombings," added Beaumont.
    "Our thoughts and prayers are with those who have been killed and injured."
    Prince William, who is currently in New Zealand following the tour, expressed his sympathy over the bombings.
    And New Zealand coach Graham Henry began his final pre-match press conference with an expression of sympathy for the victims of the bombs.
    "We would just like to pass on from the All Blacks our deep sympathies to the people affected by the terrorist attacks in London," he said.
    "The game, really, doesn't seem that significant when these sort of things are going on in the world."
    New Zealand rugby union deputy chief executive Steve Tew said security may be increased around some venues but that the tour would go on.
    "It's a terrible tragedy, we absolutely sympathise with those who were affected but we're not going to bow to terrorism," he said.
    I think they have made the right choice with continuing with the tour. I expect to see the Lions wearing black arm bands in memory of the victims of the bombing. I think its going to be a very emotional match and will be nice to see players from all the countries represented (except for Scotland).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, with the final match to be played tomorrow, try making a top XV of Lions players from this tour.

1. Gethin Jenkins (Wales) - he truly has been the best Lions loosehead prop in this tour. While Andy Sheridan was the better scrummager, it was Jenkins who was a lot more impressive around the field.

2. Gordon Bulloch (Scotland) - he captained the midweek team to an undefeated tour, and has been an exemplary tourist. Aside from a few wobbly throws at line-out time, he has generally been solid and has done the basics right. Honourable mention goes to Steve Thompson.

3. Julian White (England) - because he sucked less than John Hayes, while Matt Stevens has hardly impressed. If White, Hayes and Stevens are the best tighthead props in Britain and Ireland, then you lot are in a lot of trouble.

4. Simon Shaw (England) - one of the few Lions locks that has actually impressed anyone. Still, he was confined to mid-week clashes. Has had some really good games.

5. Donncha O'Callaghan (Ireland) - because he sucked less than Ben Kay and Paul O'Connel, while Brent Cockbain has hardly had a chance to do anything. Is it just that the locks on this tour failed to deliver, or is there a crisis developing in that area post-Martin Johnson?

6. Simon Easterby (Ireland) - very impressive. It's actually a wonder why this man was not among the 44+1 that was initially selected.

7. Lewis Moody (England) - because he was less unimpressive than Neil Back. Back was completely exposed as an ageing has-been trying to keep up with the young'uns. Moody on the other hand was completely outplayed by Richie McCaw in the second test, but still acquitted himself with honour. The form openside in the 6 Nations, Martyn Williams has completely left New Zealanders unimpressed.

8. Ryan Jones (Wales) - See Easterby, Simon. Lawrence Dallaglio and Simon Taylor hardly got a chance to impress, while Martin Corry and Michael Owen were underwhelming.

9. Dwayne Peel (Wales) - He has been the form scrumhalf in what is admittedly a very well contested position. Still, more of Chris Cusiter would've been nice.

10. Charlie Hodgson (England) - He has been the surprise of the tour. Restricted to mid-week clashes, he still has impressed people with his creative plays and solid kicking game. Far superior to the out-of-sorts Ronan O'Gara, the blah Stephen Jones and underwhelming Jonny Wilkinson.

11. Shane Williams (Wales) - One of the few wingers that actually impressed people on the tour. Still, he's only selected because there's no one else. Complete non-factor in his one test match, unfortunately.

12. Gavin Henson (Wales) - See Williams, Shane (only replace "winger" with "inside centre"). Gordon D'Arcy was less impressive, while Henson at least had a good go in his mid-week matches.

13. Gareth Thomas (Wales) - Very effective and combative outside centre. A very good replacement for Brian O'Driscoll. O'Driscoll himself has been underwhelming (that's been the theme of the tour), while Greenwood has been pretty much unseen.

14. Mark Cueto (England) - See Easterby, Simon. Jason Robinson has played like shit in his appearance as winger.

15. Josh Lewsey (England) - One of the few impressive players on tour. After a nightmare appearance last year against the All Blacks during England's tour to this part of the world, he has completely redeemed himself in my view. A class player that seized what chances he could to shine. Jason Robinson was a huge disappointment, while Geordan Murphy has hardly registered.
    Apart from 2, where I think Thompson shades it for his work around the field, and 5, where we don't have anyone really - O'callaghan has only had one good game in a mediocre tour, that's pretty much what I'd say.

For the final game, with the series lost, I'd have liked to seen Cusiter and Hodgson as the half back pairing. A shame about Hodgson's injury.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve Thompson has had more games where he was mediocre than he has had where he was impressive though. And Bulloch deserves recognition for leading the midweek team to an undefeated tour. As for the locks, O'Callaghan's 1 impressive game is a lot more than what the others have provided.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Springboks squad to face Wallabies at Sydney
    1. Os du Randt
    2. John Smit (Captain)
    3. Lawrence Sephaka
    4. Bakkies Botha
    5. Victor Matfield
    6. Schalk Burger
    7. Danie Rossouw
    8. Jacques Cronje
    9. Enrico Januarie
    10. Jaco van der Westhuyzen
    11. Bryan Habana
    12. De Wet Barry
    13. Marius Joubert
    14. Jean de Villiers
    15. Percy Montgomery

16. Hanyani Shimange
    17. CJ van der Linde
    18. Albert van den Berg
    19. Joe van Niekerk
    20. Fourie du Preez
    21. Jaque Fourie
    22. Brent Russell

Wallabies squad to face Springboks at Sydney
    1. Bill Young
    2. Jeremy Paul
    3. Al Baxter
    4. Mark Chisholm
    5. Nathan Sharpe
    6. Rocky Elsom
    7. George Smith
    8. David Lyons
    9. George Gregan (Captain)
    10. Stephen Larkham
    11. Lote Tuqiri
    12. Matt Giteau
    13. Morgan Turinui
    14. Wendell Sailor
    15. Mat Rogers

16. Stephen Moore
    17. Matt Dunning
    18. John Roe
    19. Phil Waugh
    20. Chris Whitaker
    21. Mark Gerrard
    22. Drew Mitchell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New Zealand All Blacks 38 - 19 British and Irish Lions at Auckland
    For New Zealand:
    Tries by Tana Umaga (2), Conrad Smith, Ali Williams and Rico Gear
    5 conversions and penalty goal by Luke McAlister
    For British and Irish Lions:
    Try by Lewis Moody
    Conversion and 4 penalty goals by Stephen Jones

Note: it's not worth reading too much into the penalty count against the All Blacks. The referee, Jonathan Kaplan and the touch judges had an absolute shocker, with a series of dubious and downright ridiculous calls.

The All Blacks have now completed a 3-0 whitewash agains the Lions and have set the benchmark for themselves. Hopefully they can maintain this momentum and take the Tri-Nations, and then a successful Grand Slam tour later this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Australia 30 - 12 South Africa at Sydney, Australia
    For Australia:
    Tries by Matt Giteau (2), Stephen Larkham, Mat Rogers and Drew Mitchell
    Conversion and penalty goal by Giteau
    For South Africa:
    4 penalty goals by Percy Montgomery

Is Matt Giteau's kicking really shit right now, or what?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All Blacks Squad for the 2005 Tri-Nations Cup Tournament

Forwards
    John Afoa - Tighthead Prop, Blues/Auckland
    Jerry Collins - Blindside Flanker/No. 8, Hurricanes/Wellington
    Carl Hayman - Tighthead Prop, Highlanders/Otago
    Marty Holah - Openside Flanker, Chiefs/Waikato
    Chris Jack - Lock, Crusaders/Canterbury
    Sione Lauaki - Blindside Flanker/No.8, Chiefs/Waikato
    Richie McCaw (Vice-Captain) - Openside Flanker, Crusaders/Canterbury
    Keven Mealamu - Hooker, Blues/Auckland
    James Ryan - Lock, Highlanders/Otago
    Greg Somerville - Prop, Crusaders/Canterbury
    Rodney So’oialo - No.8, Hurricanes/Wellington
    Ali Williams - Lock, Blues/Auckland
    Derren Witcombe - Hooker, Blues/Auckland
    Tony Woodcock - Loosehead Prop, Blues/North Harbour

Backs
    Dan Carter - Flyhalf/Inside Centre, Crusaders/Canterbury
    Rico Gear - Winger/Outside Centre, Crusaders/Nelson Bays
    Byron Kelleher - Scrumhalf, Chiefs/Waikato
    Luke McAlister - Flyhalf/Inside Centre, Blues/North Harbour
    Leon MacDonald - Fullback/Flyhalf, Crusaders/Canterbury
    Aaron Mauger - Inside Centre/Flyhalf, Crusaders/Canterbury
    Malili Muliaina - Fullback/Outside Centre/Winger, Blues/Auckland
    Joe Rokocoko - Winger, Blues/Auckland
    Sitiveni Sivivatu - Winger, Chiefs/Waikato
    Conrad Smith - Outside Centre, Hurricanes/Wellington
    Tana Umaga (Captain) - Centre, Hurricanes/Wellington
    Piri Weepu - Scrumhalf, Hurricanes/Wellington

The new cap here is John Afoa, a powerful prop to emerge from the champion 2001 St. Kentigern College First XV (which included Joe Rokocoko). His selection ahead of Campbell Johnstone who was utilised in the Lions series is a move by the coaching regime to increase the depth of the talent pool in New Zealand.

While Kelleher most likely moves up to the position of primary scrumhalf (which was previously occupied by Justin Marshall), it is apparent they selectors are looking at Piri Weepu to be the man to sit on the bench.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    South Africa 33 - 20 Australia at Johannesburg, South Africa
    For South Africa:
    Tries by Jean de Villiers, Andre Pretorius and Jaque Fourie
    3 conversions and 4 penalty goals by Percy Montgomery
    For Australia:
    Tries by David Lyons, Stirling Mortlock and Jeremy Paul
    Conversion by Mortlock
    Penalty goal by Matt Giteau

South Africa never looked like they were in trouble, and the tries by Mortlock and Paul were merely consolation tries at the last minutes.

Tri-Nations Fixture List
    Saturday, 30th July:
    South Africa VS Australia - Pretoria

Saturday, 6th August:
    South Africa VS New Zealand - Cape Town

Saturday, 13th August:
    Australia VS New Zealand - Sydney

Saturday, 20th August:
    Australia VS South Africa - Perth

Saturday, 27th August:
    New Zealand VS South Africa - Dunedin

Saturday, 3rd September:
    New Zealand VS Australia - Auckland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tri-Nations Match 1:
    South Africa VS Australia at Pretoria, South Africa

Line-ups
    South Africa
    1. Gurthro Steenkamp
    2. John Smit (C)
    3. CJ van der Linde
    4. Bakkies Botha
    5. Victor Matfield
    6. Joe van Niekerk
    7. Juan Smith
    8. Jacques Cronje
    9. Fourie du Preez
    10. Andre Pretorius
    11. Bryan Habana
    12. Jean de Villiers
    13. Jaque Fourie
    14. Breyton Paulse
    15. Percy Montgomery

16. Gary Botha
    17. Lawrence Sephaka
    18. Albert van den Berg
    19. Schalk Burger
    20. Ricky Januarie
    21. Wayne Julies
    22. Jaco van der Westhuyzen

Australia
    1. Bill Young
    2. Jeremy Paul
    3. Matt Dunning
    4. Daniel Vickerman
    5. Nathan Sharpe
    6. John Roe
    7. George Smith
    8. David Lyons
    9. George Gregan (C)
    10. Stephen Larkham
    11. Lote Tuqiri
    12. Matt Giteau
    13. Morgan Turinui
    14. Wendell Sailor
    15. Chris Latham

16. Stephen Moore
    17. Al Baxter
    18. Mark Chisholm
    19. Phil Waugh
    20. Chris Whitaker
    21. Stirling Mortlock
    22. Drew Mitchell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    South Africa 22 - 16 Australia
    For the Springboks:
    Try by Breyton Paulse
    Conversion, 3 penalty goals and dropped goal by Percy Montgomery
    Dropped goal by Andre Pretorious
    For the Wallabies:
    Try by George Smith
    Conversion and 3 penalty goals by Matt Giteau

At least the Wallabies can leave with 1 bonus point. However, it's a bad start for them, having squandered a 13-6 lead at half-time.

Next Week, it's the ABs VS the Boks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Springboks Squad to face All Blacks at Cape Town
    1. Os du Randt
    2. John Smit (Captain)
    3. CJ van der Linde
    4. Bakkies Botha
    5. Victor Matfield
    6. Schalk Burger
    7. Juan Smith
    8. Joe van Niekerk
    9. Ricky Januarie
    10. Andre Pretorius
    11. Bryan Habana
    12. Jean de Villiers
    13. Jaque Fourie
    14. Breyton Paulse
    15. Percy Montgomery

16. Hanyani Shimange
    17. Gurthro Steenkamp
    18. Albert van den Berg
    19. Jacques Cronje
    20. Fourie du Preez
    21. Wayne Julies

All Blacks squad to face Springboks at Cape Town
    1. Tony Woodcock
    2. Keven Mealamu
    3. Carl Hayman
    4. Chris Jack
    5. Ali Williams
    6. Jerry Collins
    7. Richie McCaw (Vice-Captain)
    8. Rodney So'oialo
    9. Byron Kelleher
    10. Daniel Carter
    11. Malili Muliaina
    12. Aaron Mauger
    13. Tana Umaga (Captain)
    14. Rico Gear
    15. Leon MacDonald

16. Derren Witcombe
    17. Greg Somerville
    18. James Ryan
    19. Marty Holah
    20. Piri Weepu
    21. Luke McAlister
    22. Joe Rokocoko

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    South Africa 22 - 16 New Zealand at Cape Town, South Africa
    For South Africa:
    Try by Jean de Villiers
    Conversion and 4 penalty goals by Percy Montgomery
    Dropped goal by Andre Pretorius
    For New Zealand:
    Try by Rico Gear
    Conversion and 3 penalty goals by Daniel Carter

Carter was decidedly average, while McCaw seemed very subdued. Overall, it was a very underwhelming performance by the ABs, and they are capable of much, much better.

The South African defense was absolutely brilliant, but on attack they seemed to lack imagination and was very one-dimensional, particularly Pretorius, who went for a dropped goal every time he got the ball within range of the AB goal posts.

The All Blacks at least don't leave empty handed, as they take a bonus point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All Blacks and Wallabies squads to play at Sydney on Saturday (Home team first)

Australia
    1. Bill Young - ACT Brumbies
    2. Jeremy Paul - ACT Brumbies
    3. Al Baxter - NSW Waratahs
    4. Daniel Vickerman - NSW Waratahs
    5. Nathan Sharpe (Vice-Captain) - Queensland Reds
    6. John Roe - Queensland Reds
    7. George Smith - ACT Brumbies
    8. David Lyons - NSW Waratahs
    9. George Gregan (Captain) - ACT Brumbies
    10. Matt Giteau - ACT Brumbies
    11. Lote Tuqiri - NSW Waratahs
    12. Morgan Turinui - NSW Waratahs
    13. Stirling Mortlock - ACT Brumbies
    14. Mark Gerrard - ACT Brumbies
    15. Drew Mitchell - Queensland Reds

16. Brendan Cannon - NSW Waratahs
    17. Matt Dunning - NSW Waratahs
    18. Mark Chisholm - ACT Brumbies
    19. Phil Waugh - NSW Waratahs
    20. Chris Whitaker - NSW Waratahs
    21. Elton Flatley - Queensland Reds
    22. Clyde Rathbone - ACT Brumbies

New Zealand
    9. Piri Weepu - Hurricanes/Wellington
    11. Joe Rokocoko - Blues/Auckland
    12. Aaron Mauger - Cruaders/Canterbury
    13. Tana Umaga (Captain)/Conrad Smith - Hurricanes/Wellington (both)

19. Marty Holah - Chiefs/Waikato
    20. Kevin Senio - Chiefs/Bay of Plenty
    21. Luke McAlister - Blues/North Harbour

Since it is unknown whether Umaga will be able to play or not, he has been bracketed with Conrad Smith. If he can't play, the captaincy will go to Richie McCaw, with Aaron Mauger most likely becoming his deputy.

Further, the sacked Natal Sharks coach, Kevin Putt (who is now the coach of the Counties Manukau NPC side) has claimed that Victor Matfield places a metal plate under all that taping on his arm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Australia 13 - 30 New Zealand at Sydney, Australia
    For Australia:
    Try by Drew Mitchell
    Conversion and 2 penalty goals by Matt Giteau
    For New Zealand:
    Tries by Piri Weepu, Richie McCaw and Joe Rokocoko
    2 conversions and 3 penalty goals by Daniel Carter
    Conversion by Luke McAlister

Daniel Carter leaves the match injured, but there will be a 2 week rest period between this match and the All Blacks VS Springboks match at Carisbrook. Australia must now contend with the possibility of losing Matt Giteau, Morgan Turinui and Jeremy Paul for the next match. Giteau and Paul had to leave the field before the end of the first half due to injury, while Turinui is most likely suffering a concussion.

Intercontinental Champion mj the kid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Injuries ripped us apart before and during the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan Carter broke his leg, unfortunately. The silver lining is that he is expected to recover sometime between 6 to 12 weeks. But then, that's what was said about Anton Oliver.

Luke McAlister, Leon MacDonald and Aaron Mauger are expected to step into the no. 10 jersey. McAlister had a fine game against the Lions in Auckland, MacDonald was decent as the flyhalf for Yamaha in Japan and Mauger was OK in the no. 10 jersey against the Baabaas last year.

I wonder who will replace the injuered Wallabies for this week's game. Adam Freier will likely be one of them.

Despite the three losses in a row for the Aussies, it's never smart to write them off. They are A) on home turf and more importantly, B) they seem to step up when their backs are up against a wall. I believe Bob Dwyer called it the "rat up the drainpipe" theory - the Wallabies will not perform until the rat is well and truly causing havoc in the waterworks - and if they are going to perform, it had better be pretty damn soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wallabies to face Springboks at Perth
    1. Bill Young
    2. Brendan Cannon
    3. Al Baxter
    4. Daniel Vickerman
    5. Nathan Sharpe (VC)
    6. Rocky Elsom
    7. Phil Waugh
    8. David Lyons
    9. George Gregan (C)
    10. Matt Giteau
    11. Lote Tuqiri
    12. Morgan Turinui
    13. Clyde Rathbone
    14. Mat Rogers
    15. Drew Mitchell

16. Stephen Moore
    17. Matt Dunning
    18. Mark Chisholm
    19. George Smith
    20. John Roe
    21. Chris Whitaker
    22. Adam Ashley-Cooper

Springboks Starting Line-up
    1. Os du Randt
    2. John Smit (C)
    3. CJ van der Linde
    4. Bakkies Botha
    5. Victor Matfield
    6. Schalk Burger
    7. Juan Smith
    8. Joe van Niekerk
    9. Enrico Januarie
    10. Andre Pretorious
    11. Bryan Habana
    12. Jean de Villiers
    13. Jaque Fourie
    14. Breyton Paulse
    15. Percy Montgomery

16. Hanyani Shimange
    17. Gurthro Steenkamp
    18. Albert van den Berg
    19. Jacques Cronje
    20. Fourie du Preez
    21. Wayne Julies

This is the first unchanged Springbok 22 since the 1999 World Cup. While Gerrard has been named at right wing, don't expect him to play, since he hasn't recovered from injuries sustained during the Bledisloe Cup test at Sydney. In fact, Flatley, Giteau and Turinui were also at one point in doubt for this game. On the other hand, this Wallabies squad is now up against a wall and have no more room to manouevre, and history has shown that Australia is at their most lethal in those circumstances. Basically, write them off at your own peril. It's also the test that will most likely determine Eddie Jones' future with the team.

Edit: In fact, Mark Gerrard has been dropped, with Rogers slotting in at right wing. Adam Ashley-Cooper of the ACT Brumbies has got the call-up and is on the bench.

Edit 2: Now Elton Flatley has been dropped due to blurred vision, meaning John Roe is promoted to the bench at no. 20 - meaning the Wallabies have 5 forwards and 2 backs on the bench. Rathbone comes in at 13. Personally, I would've moved Rogers to 13 and Rathbone to 14, but hey.
    Last edited by Gyoza; August 20th, 2005 at 6:10 AM.

Big fan of Molly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yes, Rokocoko is back, NZ has a golden chance for the Tri-Naitions, and all is right in the world.

Almost right that is; it is hard to replace Carter's golden foot, which should belong in the American NFL.

Meanwhile, I am concerned that the Boks may not be as energetic on foreign pitches as they are in front of Nelson Mandela. They might finish off the crippled Wallabies, but their brillant defense might be lost with the luggage in Wellington.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leon MacDonald was somewhat decent as the 1st 5 for Canterbury today against Bay of Plenty. Luke McAlister had a mixed bag for North Harbour against Wellington. He missed a few tackles, but once he got going in the second half, he was quite good. McAlister should have the inside running though, since he has experience at the test level in the no. 10 jersey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wallabies 19 - 22 Springboks
    For Australia:
    Try by Clyde Rathbone
    Conversion and 3 penalty goals by Mat Rogers
    Penalty goal by Matt Giteau
    For South Africa:
    2 tries by Bryan Habana
    3 penalty goals by dropped goal by Percy Montgomery

Well, the Wallabies have no chance of winning the Tri-Nations at all. On the other hand, the Boks failed at getting a bonus point, which means the All Blacks still have a shot. The ABs MUST win at Dunedin against South Africa and at Auckland against the Wallabies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All Blacks squad to face South Africa in Dunedin, this weekend.
    Number. Name - Super 12 side/NPC side
    10. Leon MacDonald - Crusaders/Canterbury

22. Doug Howlett - Blues/Auckland

It's a mostly unchanged 22, aside from 2 - one forced (MacDonald for Carter) and one unforced (Lauaki for Holah). After having taken part in the NPC games last weekend, the forward pack shouldn't be as rusty as they were in Cape Town. They also have several factors working for them, such as the fact that they got a 2 week break from test rugby (but not provincial rugby), while the Boks have had to travel from Cape Town to Perth and then to Dunedin, which should take a bit out of a side that doesn't travel well anyway. This is a must win game for both sides, as the Boks can wrap up the series with a win, or even a bonus point. Interestingly, John Afoa once again fails to make the 22, which means he will either A) remain unused in the series or B) make his debut at Eden Park against Austrailia. Further, while Marty Holah is an excellent ball winner, it's clear to see that the selectors have gone for the bulk and sheer impact of Lauaki, who could potentially win them the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Springboks starting line-up to face All Blacks at Dunedin this weekend.

1. Os du Randt
    2. John Smit (Captain)
    3. CJ van der Linde
    4. Bakkies Botha
    5. Victor Matfield
    6. Schalk Burger
    7. Juan Smith
    8. Joe van Niekerk
    9. Enrico Januarie
    10. Andre Pretorious
    11. Bryan Habana
    12. De Wet Barry
    13. Jaque Fourie
    14. Jean de Villiers
    15. Percy Montgomery

16. Hanyani Shimange
    17. Eddie Andrews
    18. Albert van den Berg
    19. Jacques Cronje
    20. Fourie du Preez
    21. Jaco van der Westhuyzen
    22. Marius Joubert

Only change in the starting XV is de Villiers moving to 14, with Barry coming into 12 - a forced change due to Breyton Paulse getting suspended. Elsewhere, Joubert makes the bench for the first time in the Tri-Nations. It's quite a fall for the man who became the first person to score a hattrick of tries agains the All Blacks in over a decade last year.

28-Man Australia Squad to come to Auckland
    Forwards:
    Al Baxter - Prop, NSW Waratahs
    Brendan Cannon - Hooker, Western Force
    Mark Chisholm - Lock, ACT Brumbies
    Matt Dunning - Prop, NSW Waratahs
    Rocky Elsom - Flanker, NSW Waratahs
    Scott Fava - No. 8, Western Force
    *David Fitter - Prop, ACT Brumbies
    *Alex Kanaar - Lock, NSW Waratahs
    Stephen Moore - Hooker, Queensland Reds
    John Roe - No. 8, Queensland Reds
    Nathan Sharpe (Vice-Captain) - Lock, Western Force
    George Smith - Flanker, ACT Brumbies
    Phil Waugh - Flanker, NSW Waratahs
    Bill Young - Prop, ACT Brumbies

Backs
    Adam Ashley-Cooper - Utility Back, ACT Brumbies
    Elton Flatley - Flyhalf, Queensland Reds
    Mark Gerrard - Fullback, ACT Brumbies
    Matt Giteau - Flyhalf, ACT Brumbies
    George Gregan (Captain) - Scrumhalf, ACT Brumbies
    Matt Henjak - Scrumhalf, Western Force
    *Lloyd Johansson - Centre, Queensland Reds
    *Lachlan MacKay - Flyhalf, Western Force
    Drew Mitchell - Utility Back, Queensland Reds
    Clyde Rathbone - Winger, ACT Brumbies
    Mat Rogers - Fullback, NSW Waratahs
    Lote Tuqiri - Winger, NSW Waratahs
    Morgan Turinui - Centre, NSW Waratahs
    Chris Whitaker - Scrumhalf, NSW Waratahs

* indicates uncapped player

Big fan of Molly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So how does an away team get a bonus point? Keeping the margin 7 or less?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either score 4 or more tries or lose within 7 points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New Zealand 31 - 27 South Africa
    For All Blacks:
    Tries by Joe Rokocoko (2), Leon MacDonald and Keven Mealamu
    3 conversions and penalty goal by MacDonald
    Conversion by Luke McAlister
    For Springboks:
    Tries by Bryan Habana, Enrico Januarie and Jaque Fourie
    3 conversions and 2 penalty goals by Percy Montgomery

Hot diggity goddamn, THAT's a motherfucking test match.

Current Tri-Nations Standings
    1. South Africa - 3 wins, 0 draws, 1 loss - 1 bonus point - 13 points
    2. New Zealand - 2 wins, 0 draws, 1 loss - 2 bonus points - 10 points
    3. Australia - 0 wins, 0 draws, 3 losses - 2 bonus points - 2 points

New Zealand have also defended their world number 1 ranking by winning this game. A victory in Auckland against Australia will give them the Tri-Nations. For the Springboks, they have an anxious week to look forward to, as the All Blacks prepare to take on a Wallabies side ravaged by injuries and players out of form at Eden Park, where they haven't lost since 1994.

P.S. The new Haka will take some time to get used to, but all in all, it's not too bad.
    Last edited by Gyoza; August 29th, 2005 at 9:38 PM.

Big fan of Molly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is going to be fun viewing this great game on Fox Soccer Channel (now why do they call it that when they had a perfect name before in Fox Sports World?).

I have to believe the NZ coaches are kicking themselves for leaving 'Coko out of the first game. I know that his cousin Sivivatu was great on defense, and Rico is Rico, but still...

So how does this work out? If NZ wins next Saturday, they are co-champs? Or how are tiebreaks otherwise decided?
    Last edited by deadbeater; August 27th, 2005 at 5:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the All Blacks got that vital bonus point, a win regardless of whether there is a bonus point will make them Tri-Nations champions. It goes like this:
    a win = 4 points
    a draw = 2 points
    a loss = 0 points
    Bonus points are awarded when a) a team scores 4 or more tries or b) loses with a margin of 7 points or less. A win against the Wallabies will give the All Blacks a total of 14 points, 1 point ahead of South Africa, and therefore their sixth Tri-Nations title.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All Blacks squad to face Australia at Auckland
    6. Sione Lauaki - Chiefs/Waikato
    10. Leon MacDonald - Crusaders/Canterbury

19. Marty Holah - Chiefs/Waikato
    22. Conrad Smith - Hurricanes/Wellington

Barely any changes from the starting XV that beat the Sprinboks last weekend. Gear, who has failed to impress so far is dropped in favour of Doug Howlett, while predictable, Sione Lauaki comes in at blindside flanker to replace Jerry Collins, who was banned for punching Jaco van der Westhuyzen of the Springboks. On the bench, since Howlett is in the starting 15, Conrad Smith is brought into the 22, while Holah returns to the squad. This will be Smith's first game for the All Blacks since the third test against the British and Irish Lions earlier this year. John Afoa and Jerome Kaino, who were both broght into the squad miss out on playing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wallabies squad to face All Blacks at Eden Park
    1. Bill Young - ACT Brumbies
    2. Brendan Cannon - Western Force
    4. Mark Chisholm - ACT Brumbies
    5. Nathan Sharpe (Vice-Captain) - Western Force
    6. Rocky Elsom - NSW Waratahs
    7. Phil Waugh - NSW Waratahs
    8. George Smith - ACE Brumbies
    10. Mat Rogers - NSW Waratahs
    11. Lote Tuqiri - NSW Waratahs
    13. Clyde Rathbone - ACT Brumbies
    15. Drew Mitchell - Queensland Reds

16. Adam Freier - NSW Waratahs
    17. Matt Dunning - NSW Waratahs
    18. Alex Kanaar - NSW Waratahs
    19. John Roe - Queensland Reds
    21. Lacklan MacKay - NSW Waratahs
    22. Lloyd Johansson - Queensland Reds

Big fan of Molly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait wait. How is it that the Blues of Aukland get 4 guys plus Rokocoko in the national squad, while 'Coko allegedly performed so poorly in the Super 12, partly because the Blues passing was so underwhelming they couldn't even hand the ball to him without causing knock-ons?

Man, the All-Black coaches are strict. One mediocre game and you're out, as Rico learned.
    Last edited by deadbeater; August 31st, 2005 at 11:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All Blacks 34 - 24 Wallabies at Auckland
    For New Zealand:
    Tries by Doug Howlett (3) and Richie McCaw
    Conversion and penalty goal by Leon MacDonald
    3 penalty goals by Luke McAlister
    For Australia:
    Tries by Mark Chisholm, Mark Gerrard, Lote Tuqiri and Lloyd Johansson
    2 conversions by Mat Rogers

First test caps awarded to Kevin Senio (New Zealand), Lloyd Johansson, Lachlan MacKay and Alex Kanaar (all Australia)

Final Tr-Nations standings
    1. New Zealand - 3 wins, 0 draws, 1 loss - 3 bonus points - 15 points
    2. South Africa - 3 wins, 0 draws, 1 loss - 1 bonus point - 13 points
    3. Australia - 0 wins, 0 draws, 4 losses - 3 bonus points - 3 points

New Zealand retains the Bledisloe Cup in emphatic fashion and are Tri-Nations Champions for the 6th time in 10 years (96, 97, 99, 02, 03, 05).

Congratulations to Tana Umaga and his troops for a hard-fought victory against a Wallabies side that never gave up until the last second.
    Last edited by Gyoza; September 3rd, 2005 at 7:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Newfy View Post
    I was a 15 year old girl once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Cash View Post
    heheheh TROLLED.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myles View Post
    fuck im jonesing for a shot of h and a blowjob from a guy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England squad for Autumn Internationals
    Name (club) - position

Forwards:
    *Perry Freshwater (Peripignan) - Prop
    Andy Sheridan (Sale Sharks) - Prop
    Matt Stevens (Bath) - Prop
    Phil Vickery (Gloucester) - Prop
    *Lee Mears (Bath) - Hooker
    Steve Thompson (Northampton) - Hooker
    *Alex Brown (Gloucester) - Lock
    Danny Grewcock (Bath) - Lock
    Tom Palmer (Leeds Tykes) - Lock
    Simon Shaw (London Wasps) - Lock
    Chris Jones (Sale Sharks) - Flanker/Lock
    Lewis Moody (Leicester Tigers) - Flanker
    Pat Sanderson (Worcester Warriors) - Flanker
    Joe Worsley (London Wasps) - Flanker
    James Forrester (Gloucester) - No. 8/Flanker
    Martin Corry (Leicester Tigers, Captain) - No. 8/Flanker

Backs:
    Matt Dawson (London Wasps) - Scrumhalf
    Harry Ellis (Leicester Tigers) - Scrumhalf
    *Peter Richards (Gloucester) - Scrumhalf
    Charlie Hodgson (Sale Sharks) - Flyhalf
    Andy Goode (Leicester Tigers) - Flyhalf
    Stuart Abbott (London Wasps) - Centre
    Mike Tindall (Gloucester) - Centre
    Jamie Noon (Newcastle Falcons) - Centre
    Ollie Smith (Leicester Tigers) - Centre
    James Simpson-Daniel (Gloucester) - Winger
    Mark Cueto (Sale Sharks) - Winger
    Josh Lewsey (London Wasps) - Winger/Fullback
    Iain Balshaw (Leeds Tykes) - Fullback
    *Mark van Gisbergen (London Wasps) - Fullback

Of this, the First XV I expect is:
    1. Sheridan
    2. Thompson
    3. Vickery
    4. Shaw
    5. Grewcock
    6. Worsley
    7. Moody
    8. Corry (C)
    9. Dawson
    10. Hodgson
    11. Lewsey
    12. Tindall
    13. Abbott
    14. Cueto
    15. van Gisbergen
    Last edited by Gyoza; September 29th, 2005 at 4:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wallabies Squad for the end-of-year tour

Al Baxter - Prop, NSW Waratahs
    Matt Dunning - Prop, NSW Waratahs
    *David Fitter - Prop, ACT Brumbies
    *Greg Holmes - Prop, Queensland Reds
    Brendan Cannon - Hooker, Western Force
    Adam Freier - Hooker, NSW Waratahs
    *Tatafu Polota-Nau - Hooker, NSW Waratahs
    Mark Chisholm - Lock, ACT Brumbies
    Hugh McMeniman - Lock, Queensland Reds
    Nathan Sharpe - Vice Captain, Lock, Western Force
    *Adam Wallace-Harrison - Lock, ACT Brumbies
    Rocky Elsom - Flanker, NSW Waratahs
    George Smith - Flanker, ACT Brumbies
    Phil Waugh - Flanker, NSW Waratahs
    *Scott Fava - No. 8, ACT Brumbies
    *Leroy Houston - No. 8/Flanker, NSW Waratahs
    John Roe - No. 8/Flanker, Queensland Reds
    George Gregan - Captain, Scrumhalf, ACT Brumbies
    Matt Henjak - Scrumhalf, Western Force
    Chris Whitaker - Scrumhalf, NSW Waratahs
    Matt Giteau - Flyhalf/Inside Centre, ACT Brumbies
    *Digby Ioane - Centre, Western Force
    Lloyd Johansson - Centre, Queensland Reds
    Morgan Turinui - Centre, NSW Waratahs
    Wendell Sailor - Winger, NSW Waratahs
    *Cameron Shepherd - Winger, Western Force
    Lote Tuqiri - Winger, NSW Waratahs
    Mark Gerrard - Fullback/Winger, ACT Brumbies
    Chris Latham - Fullback, Queensland Reds
    Drew Mitchell - Fullback/Winger/Centre, Queensland Reds
    Mat Rogers - Fullback/Winger/Centre/Flyhalf, NSW Waratahs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All Blacks squad for Tour of United Kingdom and Ireland
    Forwards
    Andrew Hore (Hurricanes/Taranaki) - Hooker
    Keven Mealamu (Blues/Auckland) - Hooker
    Anton Oliver (Highlanders/Otago) - Hooker
    *John Afoa (Blues/Auckland) - Prop
    Carl Hayman (Highlanders/Otago) - Prop
    Saimone Taumoepeau (Blues/Auckland) - Prop
    *Neemia Tialata (Hurricanes/Wellington) - Prop
    Tony Woodcock (Blues/North Harbour) - Prop
    *Jason Eaton (Taranaki) - Lock
    Ali Williams (Blues/Auckland) - Lock
    Chris Jack (Crusaders/Canterbury) - Lock
    James Ryan (Highlanders/Otago) - Lock
    *Angus MacDonald (Blues/Auckland) - Loose Forward/Lock
    Jerry Collins (Hurricanes/Wellington) - Flanker
    Sione Lauaki (Chiefs/Waikato) - Flanker/No. 8
    *Chris Masoe (Hurricanes/Taranaki) - Flanker
    Richie McCaw (Crusaders/Canterbury, Vice-Captain) - Flanker
    Rodney So'oialo (Hurricanes/Wellington) - No. 8
    Mose Tuiali'i (Crusaders/Canterbury) - No. 8

Backs
    Jimmy Cowan (Highlanders/Southland) - Scrumhalf
    Byron Kelleher (Chiefs/Waikato) - Scrumhalf
    Piri Weepu (Hurricanes/Wellington) - Scrumhalf
    Daniel Carter (Crusaders/Canterbury) - Flyhalf
    Nick Evans (Highlanders/Otago) - Flyhalf/Fullback
    Aaron Mauger (Crusaders/Canterbury) - Inside Centre
    Ma'a Nonu (Hurricanes/Wellington) - Centre/Winger
    Conrad Smith (Wellington) - Outside Centre
    Tana Umaga (Hurricanes/Wellington, Captain) - Centre
    Rico Gear (Crusaders/Nelson Bays) - Winger/Centre
    Doug Howlett (Blues/Auckland) - Winger/Fullback
    Joe Rokocoko (Blues/Auckland) - Winger
    Sitiveni Sivivatu (Chiefs/Waikato) - Winger
    Leon MacDonald (Crusaders/Canterbury) - Fullback/Flyhalf
    Mils Muliaina (Blues/Auckland) - Fullback/Centre/Winger
    *Isaia Toeava (Auckland) - Utility Back

* indicates uncapped player (NB: John Afoa was named in a previous squad, but was never fielded)

The usual suspects are there, but the ommission of Kevin Senio is a bit startling, considering how highly Graham Henry regards him. Isaia Toeava is the biggest surprise here, and I'm pretty sure no one saw his selection coming.

Edit: Luke McAlister has been ruled out of the tour due to a knee injury he suffered in the NPC semi-final against Auckland. Nick Evans has been added to the squad as cover.
    Greg Somerville has also been ruled out due to injury sustained in a game with Auckland in the NPC round robin. He has been replaced by Saimone Taumoepeau.
    Last edited by Gyoza; October 26th, 2005 at 3:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Springboks squad to Argentina, Wales and France

Forwards
    Gary Botha (Bulls/Vodacom Blue Bulls) - Hooker
    Hanyani Shimange (Stormers/Investec WP) - Hooker
    John Smit (Sharks/Natal Sharks, Captain) - Hooker
    Eddie Andrews (Stormers/Investec WP) - Prop
    Os du Randt (Cats/Vodacom Cheetahs) - Prop
    CJ van der Linde (Cats/Vodacom Cheetahs) - Prop
    Lawrence Sephaka (Cats/Lions) - Prop
    Bakkies Botha (Bulls/Vodacom Blue Bulls) - Lock
    Victor Matfield (Bulls/Vodacom Blue Bulls) - Lock
    Albert van den Berg (Sharks/Natal Sharks) - Lock
    Schalk Burger (Stormers/Investec WP) - Flanker
    Solozomi Tyibilika (Sharks/Natal Sharks) - Flanker
    Danie Rossouw (Bulls/Vodacom Blue Bulls) - Flanker
    Pedrie Wannenburg (Bulls/Vodacom Blue Bulls) - Flanker
    Jacques Cronje (Bulls/Vodacom Blue Bulls) - No. 8/Flanker
    Juan Smith (Cats/Vodacom Cheetahs) - No. 8/Flanker

Backs
    Michael Claassens (Cats/Vodacom Cheetahs) - Scrumhalf
    Bolla Conradie (Stormers/Investec WP) - Scrumhalf
    Fourie du Preez (Bulls/Vodacom Blue Bulls) - Scrumhalf
    Andre Pretorius (Cats/Lions) - Flyhalf
    De Wet Barry (Stormers/Investec WP) - Inside Centre
    Jean de Villiers (Stormers/Investec WP) - Centre/Winger
    Jaque Fourie (Cats/Lions) - Centre/Winger
    Wayne Julies(Cats/Natal Sharks) - Centre
    Tonderai Chavhanga (Stormers/Investec WP) - Winger
    Bryan Habana (Bulls/Vodacom Blue Bulls) - Winger/Centre
    Conrad Jantjies (Cats/Lions) - Fullback
    Percy Montgomery (Natal Sharks) - Fullback

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welsh squad named for Autumn Internationals

Backs:

L Byrne (Llanelli Scarlets)*
    G Thomas (Toulouse, capt),
    K Morgan (Newport Gwent Dragons)
    C Czekaj (Cardiff Blues)
    S Williams (Ospreys)
    M Taylor (Sale Sharks)
    S Parker (Ospreys)
    M Watkins (Llanelli Scarlets)
    C Sweeney (Newport Gwent Dragons)
    S Jones (Clermont Auvergne)
    N Robinson (Cardiff Blues)
    D Peel (Llanelli Scarlets)
    G Cooper (Newport Gwent Dragons)
    M Phillips (Cardiff Blues)

Forwards:

D Jones (Ospreys)
    J Yapp (Cardiff Blues)
    A Jones (Ospreys)
    R Thomas (Cardiff Blues)
    M Davies (Gloucester)
    H Bennett (Ospreys)
    B Cockbain (Ospreys)
    I Gough (Newport Gwent Dragons)
    R Sidoli (Cardiff Blues)
    L Charteris (Newport Gwent Dragons)
    C Charvis (Newcastle)
    J Thomas (Ospreys)
    M Williams (Cardiff Blues)
    R Sowden-Taylor (Cardiff Blues)
    M Owen (Newport Gwent Dragons, vice-capt)
    A Popham (Llanelli Scarlets)

Ceri Sweeney and Steven Jones unlikely for first match against New Zealand due to injuries. Also Gavin Henson, Tom Shanklin, Gethin Jenkins, Ryan Jones and Dafydd Joneswill miss the whole tour doe to injury.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ryan Jones and Gethin Jenkins getting injured is quite a shame, really. I was looking forward to seeing them play against the All Blacks again, particularly Jones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the new Wallabies jersey, modelled by new Wallaby, Cameron Shepherd (that's Trevor Allan in the back, wearing the 1949 jersey). Ugh, Canterbury, what the fuck are you lot doing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Revised England squad after injuries and bans

Forwards:
    *Perry Freshwater (Peripignan) - Prop
    Andy Sheridan (Sale Sharks) - Prop
    Matt Stevens (Bath) - Prop
    Phil Vickery (Gloucester) - Prop
    *Lee Mears (Bath) - Hooker
    Steve Thompson (Northampton) - Hooker
    Steve Borthwick (Bath) - Lock
    *Louis Deacon (Leicester) - Lock
    Danny Grewcock (Bath) - Lock
    Simon Shaw (London Wasps) - Lock
    Chris Jones (Sale Sharks) - Flanker/Lock
    Andy Hazell (Gloucester) - Flanker
    Lewis Moody (Leicester Tigers) - Flanker
    Pat Sanderson (Worcester Warriors) - Flanker
    James Forrester (Gloucester) - No. 8/Flanker
    Martin Corry (Leicester Tigers, Captain) - No. 8/Flanker

Backs:
    Matt Dawson (London Wasps) - Scrumhalf
    Harry Ellis (Leicester Tigers) - Scrumhalf
    *Peter Richards (Gloucester) - Scrumhalf
    Charlie Hodgson (Sale Sharks) - Flyhalf
    Andy Goode (Leicester Tigers) - Flyhalf
    Olly Barkley (Bath) - Flyhalf/Centre
    Mike Tindall (Gloucester) - Centre
    Jamie Noon (Newcastle Falcons) - Centre
    Ollie Smith (Leicester Tigers) - Centre
    Ben Cohen (Northampton) - Winger
    Mark Cueto (Sale Sharks) - Winger
    Tom Voyce (London Wasps) - Winger/Fullback
    Josh Lewsey (London Wasps) - Winger/Fullback
    *Mark van Gisbergen (London Wasps) - Fullback

* indicates new cap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New Zealand Super 14 squads

Blues:
    Forwards:
    Tim Dow* (Northland) - Hooker
    Keven Mealamu# (Auckland) - Hooker
    John Afoa (Auckland) - Prop
    Mike Noble* (North Harbour) - Prop
    Tony Woodcock# (North Harbour) - Prop
    Greg Rawlinson (North Harbour) - Lock
    Ali Williams# (Auckland) - Lock
    Troy Flavell**# (Auckland) - Flanker/Lock
    Kurtis Haiu* (Auckland) - Flanker/Lock
    Angus Macdonald (Auckland) - Flanker/No. 8/Lock
    Anthony Boric* (North Harbour) - Flanker/Lock
    Daniel Braid# (Auckland) - Flanker
    Justin Collins (Auckland) - Flanker
    Nick Williams (North Harbour) - No. 8

Backs:
    Steve Devine# (Auckland) - Scrumhalf
    David Gibson (Auckland) - Scrumhalf
    Tasesa Lavea (Auckland) - Flyhalf
    Luke McAlister# (North Harbour) - Flyhalf
    Ben Atiga# (Auckland) - Centre/Fullback
    Rua Tipoki** (North Harbour) - Centre
    Anthony Tuitavake (North Harbour) - Centre
    Doug Howlett# (Auckland) - Winger
    Joe Rokocoko# (Auckland) - Winger
    Vili Waqaseduadua* (North Harbour)
    Isa Nacewa# (Auckland) - Fullback/Winger/Centre
    George Pisi* (North Harbour) - Fullback
    Brent Ward (Auckland) - Fullback/Winger

Chiefs:
    Forwards:
    Aleki Lutui# (Bay of Plenty) - Hooker
    Tom Willis# (Waikato) - Hooker
    Ben Castle (Bay of Plenty) - Prop
    Simms Davison (Waikato) - Prop
    Deacon Manu (Waikato) - Prop
    Nathan White* (Waikato) - Prop
    Jono Gibbes# (Waikato) - Lock/Flanker
    Sean Hohneck (Waikato) - Lock
    Kristian Ormsby (Counties Manukau) - Lock
    Bernie Upton (Bay of Plenty) - Lock
    Marty Holah# (Waikato) - Flanker
    Nili Latu (Bay of Plenty) - Flanker
    Sione Lauaki# (Waikato) - Flanker/No. 8
    Liam Messam* (Waikato) - Flanker/No. 8
    Steven Bates# (Waikato) - No. 8

Backs:
    Byron Kelleher# (Waikato) - Scrumhalf
    Jamie Nutbrown (Bay of Plenty) - Scrumhalf
    Stephen Donald (Waikato) - Flyhalf
    David Hill (Waikato) - Flyhalf
    Sam Tuitupou# (Auckland) - Inside Centre
    Mark Ranby# (Waikato) - Centre
    Niva Ta’auso* (Counties Manukau) - Centre
    Anthony Tahana* (Bay of Plenty) - Winger
    Sitiveni Sivivatu# (Waikato) - Winger
    Lelia Masaga* (Counties Manukau) - Winger
    Loki Crichton (Waikato) - Fullback
    Sosene Anesi# (Waikato) - Fullback/Winger
    Malili Muliaina# (Waikato) - Fullback/Winger/Centre

Hurricanes:
    Forwards:
    Andrew Hore# (Taranaki) - Hooker
    Luke Mahoney* (Wellington) - Hooker
    Tim Fairbrother (Wellington) - Prop
    Joe McDonnell# (Wellington) - Prop
    John Schwalger* (Wellington) - Prop
    Neemia Tialata (Wellington) - Prop
    Luke Andrews (Wellington) - Lock
    Jason Eaton* (Taranaki) - Lock
    Ross Kennedy (Wellington) - Lock
    Paul Tito (Taranaki) - Lock
    Jerry Collins# (Wellington) - Flanker/No. 8
    Ben Herring (Wellington) - Flanker
    Chris Masoe (Taranaki) - Flanker
    Rodney So’oialo# (Wellington) - No. 8
    Thomas Waldrom (Wellington) - No. 8

Backs:
    Brendan Haami** (Wellington) - Scrumhalf
    Piri Weepu# (Wellington) - Scrumhalf
    Jimmy Gopperth (Wellington) - Flyhalf
    David Holwell** (Northland) - Flyhalf
    Tamati Ellison* (Wellington) - Centre
    Conrad Smith# (Wellington) - Centre
    Tane Tu’ipulotu (Wellington) - Centre
    Tana Umaga# (Wellington) - Centre
    Ma’a Nonu# (Wellington) - Centre/Winger
    Lome Fa’atau# (Wellington) - Winger
    Hosea Gear (Wellington) - Winger
    Shannon Paku (Wellington) - Fullback
    Isaia Toeava* (Auckland) - Fullback/Flyhalf

Crusaders:
    Forwards:
    Corey Flynn# (Canterbury) - Hooker
    Tone Kopelani (Canterbury) - Hooker
    Wyatt Crockett* (Canterbury) - Prop
    Ben Franks* (Canterbury) - Prop
    Campbell Johnstone# (Canterbury) - Prop
    Greg Somerville# (Canterbury) - Prop
    Craig Clarke* (Canterbury) - Lock
    Ross Filipo (Wellington) - Lock
    Chris Jack# (Canterbury) - Lock
    Bradley Mika# (Auckland) - Lock
    Kevin O’Neill (Canterbury) - Lock
    Tanerau Latimer* (Bay of Plenty) - Flanker
    Johnny Leo’o (Canterbury) - Flanker
    Richie McCaw# (Canterbury) - Flanker
    Reuben Thorne (Canterbury) - Flanker
    Mose Tuiali’i (Canterbury) - No. 8

Backs:
    Kevin Senio# (Canterbury) - Scrumhalf
    Andrew Ellis* (Canterbury) - Scrumhalf
    Daniel Carter# (Canterbury) - Flyhalf
    Cameron McIntyre (Canterbury) - Flyhalf
    Aaron Mauger# (Canterbury) - Inside Centre/Flyhalf
    Casey Laulala# (Canterbury) - Centre
    Steven Yates* (Canterbury) - Centre/Winger
    Rico Gear (Nelson Bays) - Winger
    Scott Hamilton (Canterbury) - Winger
    Tony Koonwaiyou (Auckland) - Winger
    Caleb Ralph (Canterbury) - Winger
    Leon MacDonald# (Canterbury) - Fullback/Flyhalf

Highlanders:
    Forwards:
    Jason Macdonald* (Otago) - Hooker
    Anton Oliver# (Otago) - Hooker
    Clarke Dermody (Southland) - Prop
    Carl Hayman# (Otago) - Prop
    Chris King (Otago) - Prop
    Nick White** (Auckland) - Prop
    Tom Donnelly (Otago) - Lock
    Filipo Levi (Otago) - Lock
    Hoani MacDonald (Southland) - Lock
    James Ryan# (Otago) - Lock
    Josh Blackie (Otago) - Flanker
    Andrew Blowers**# (Auckland) - Flanker
    Tim Boys* (Southland) - Flanker
    Craig Newby (Otago) - Flanker
    Hale T-Pole** (Southland) - Flanker

Backs:
    Jimmy Cowan# (Southland) - Scrumhalf
    Chris Smylie* (Otago) - Scrumhalf
    Ryan Bambry* (Otago) - Flyhalf
    Nick Evans# (Otago) - Flyhalf/Fullback
    Neil Brew (Otago) - Centre
    Seilala Mapusua (Otago) - Centre
    Ben Smith* (Southland) - Centre/Winger
    Vilimoni Delasau# (Canterbury) - Winger
    Roy Kinikinilau** (Wellington) - Winger
    Matt Saunders (Otago) - Winger
    Ben Blair# (Canterbury) - Fullback
    Paul Williams** (Auckland) - Fullback
    Callum Bruce* (Otago) - Utility Back

* indicates new player
    ** indicates return to competition after a season or more's absence
    # indicates test match experience

(Note: some players new/returning to the competition played in 2004 as back-ups to injured players, e.g. Rua Tipoki with the Blues last season)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All Blacks squad to face Wales at Cardiff
    Name - Super 12/NPC

1. Neemia Tialata* - Hurricanes/Wellington
    2. Anton Oliver - Highlanders/Otago
    5. James Ryan - Highlanders/Otago
    7. Chris Masoe* - Hurricanes/Taranaki
    12. Tana Umaga (Captain) - Hurricanes/Wellington
    13. Conrad Smith - Hurricanes/Wellington

16. Andrew Hore - Hurricanes/Taranaki
    17. Tony Woodcock - Blues/North Harbour
    18. Angus Macdonald* - Blues/Auckland
    19. Richie McCaw - Crusaders/Canterbury
    20. Jimmy Cowan - Highlanders/Southland

* indicates new cap

Overall, a very strong squad. It's surprising to see Chris Masoe in the starting XV ahead of McCaw, who is by far the best openside flanker in the world, while Tialata is being fielded ahead of the current premiere loosehead prop in test rugby, Tony Woodcock. That being said, both were in impressive form for their respective provinces this year, and they are both being grouped with quality players, so there shouldn't be much to worry about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welsh squad to face All Blacks at Cardiff

1. Duncan Jones - Ospreys
    2. Mefin Davies - Gloucester
    3. Adam Jones - Ospreys
    4. Brent Cockbain - Ospreys
    5. Robert Sidoli - Cardiff Blues
    6. Jonathan Thomas - Ospreys
    7. Colin Charvis - Newcastle Falcons
    8. Michael Owens (Vice-Captain) - Newport-Gwent Dragons
    9. Mark Phillips - Cardiff Blues
    10. Stephen Jones - Clermont Auvergne
    11. Shane Williams - Ospreys
    12. Ceri Sweeney - Newport-Gwent Dragons
    13. Mark Taylor - Sale Sharks
    14. Kevin Morgan - Newport-Gwent Dragons
    15. Gareth Thomas (Captain) - Toulouse

16. Rhys Thomas - Cardiff Blues
    17. Chris Horsman - Worcestor Warriors
    18. Luke Charteris - Newport-Gwent Dragons
    19. Robin Sowden-Taylor - Cardiff Blues
    20. Gareth Cooper - Newport-Gwent Dragons
    21. Nicky Robinson - Cardiff Blues
    22. Lee Byrne - Llanelli Scarlets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wallabies squad to face France at Marseille
    1. Matt Dunning
    2. Bendan Cannon
    3. Al Baxter
    4. Mark Chisholm
    5. Nathan Sharpe
    6. Rocky Elsom
    7. Phil Waugh
    8. George Smith
    9. George Gregan (Captain)
    10. Matt Giteau
    11. Mat Rogers
    12. Morgan Turinui
    13. Lote Tuqiri
    14. Wendell Sailor
    15. Chris Latham

16. Stephan Moore
    17. Greg Holmes
    18. Hugh McMeniman
    19. John Roe
    20. Chris Whitaker
    21. Lloyd Johansson
    22. Drew Mitchell

France squad to face Australia
    1. Olivier Milloud
    2. Dimitri Szarzewski
    3. Pieter de Villiers
    4. Fabien Pelous (Captain)
    5. Jerome Thion
    6. Yannick Nyanga
    7. Thomas Lievremont
    8. Remy Martin
    9. Jean-Baptiste Elissalde
    10. Frederic Michalak
    11. Cedric Heymans
    12. Yannick Jauzion
    13. Florian Fritz
    14. Aurelian Rougerie
    15. Julien Laharrague

16. Sebastien Bruno
    17. Sylvain Marconnet
    18. Lionel Nallet
    19. Gregory Lamboley
    20. Sebastien Chabal
    21. Yann Delaigue
    22. Thomas Castaignede

Springboks squad to face Argentina at Buenos Aires
    1. Os du Randt
    2. John Smit (Captain)
    3. CJ van der Linde
    4. Bakkies Botha
    5. Victor Matfield
    6. Solly Tyibilika
    7. Juan Smith
    8. Jacques Cronje
    9. Bolla Conradie
    10. Andre Pretorius
    11. Bryan Habana
    12. Jean de Villiers
    13. Jaque Fourie
    14. Conrad Jantjes
    15. Percy Montgomery

16. Hanyani Shimange
    17. Eddie Andrews
    18. Albert van den Berg
    19. Schalk Burger
    20. Michael Claassens
    21. De Wet Barry
    22. Brent Russell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Argentina 23 - 34 South Africa in Buenos Aires
    For Los Pumas:
    Tries by Manuel Leguizamon, Francisco Leonelli and Manuel Contepomi
    Conversion and 2 penalty goals by Felipe Contepomi
    For Springboks:
    Tries by Percy Montgomery, Jaque Fourie and Juan Smith
    2 conversions and 3 penalty goals by Montgomery
    Penalty goal by Andre Pretorius

France 26 - 16 Australia in Marseille
    For France:
    Tries by Cedric Heymans and Remy Martin
    2 conversions and 3 penalty goals by Jean-Baptiste Elissalde
    Penalty goal by Frederic Michalak
    For Wallabies:
    Try by Drew Mitchell

Wales 3 - 41 New Zealand in Cardiff
    For Wales:
    Penalty goal by Stephen Jones
    For All Blacks:
    Tries by Rico Gear (3) and Daniel Carter (2)
    5 conversions and 2 penalty goals by Carter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England squad to face Australia at Twickenham
    1. Andy Sheridan - Sale Sharks
    2. Steve Thompson - Northampton Saints
    3. Phil Vickery - Gloucester
    4. Steve Borthwick - Bath
    5. Danny Grewcock - Bath
    6. Pat Sanderson - Worcestor Warriors
    7. Lewis Moody - Leicester Tigers
    8. Martin Corry (Captain) - Leicester Tigers
    9. Matt Dawson - London Wasps
    10. Charlie Hodgson - Sale Sharks
    11. Ben Cohen - Northampton Saints
    12. Mike Tindall - Gloucester
    13. Jamie Noon - Newcastle Falcons
    14. Mark Cueto - Sale Sharks
    15. Josh Lewsey - London Wasps

16. Lee Mears - Bath
    17. Matt Stevens - Bath
    18. Louis Deacon - Leicester Tigers
    19. Chris Jones - Sale Sharks
    20. Harry Ellis - Leicester Tigers
    21. Olly Barkley - Bath
    22. Mark van Gisbergen - London Wasps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All Blacks squad to face Ireland at Lansdowne Road in Dublin
    3. John Afoa - Blues/Auckland
    4. Jason Eaton - Taranaki
    6. Sione Lauaki - Chiefs/Waikato
    7. Richie McCaw (Captain) - Crusaders/Canterbury
    8. Mose Tuiali'i - Crusaders/Canterbury
    10. Nick Evans - Highlanders/Otago
    13. Ma'a Nonu - Hurricanes/Wellington
    15. Leon MacDonald - Crusaders/Canterbury

17. Saimone Taumoepeau - Blues/Auckland
    18. Carl Hayman - Highlanders/Otago
    19. Chris Jack - Crusaders/Canterbury
    20. Rodney So'oialo - Hurricanes/Wellington
    21. Jimmy Cowan - Highlanders/Southland
    22. Malili Muliaina - Blues/Auckland

New caps are: John Afoa and Jason Eaton

It's noteworthy that Henry has overhauled the entire starting XV from Cardiff and gone with 5 forwards and 2 backs on the bench as well.

Ireland squad to face All Blacks
    1. Marcus Horan - Munster/Shannon
    2. Shane Byrne - Saracens
    3. John Hayes - Munster/Bruff
    4. Donncha O'Callaghan - Munster/Cork Constitution
    5. Malcolm O'Kelly - Leinster/St. Mary's College
    6. Simon Easterby (Captain) - Llanelli
    7. Johnny O'Connor - London Wasps
    8. Denis Leamy - Munster/Cork Constitution
    9. Peter Stringer - Munster/Shannon
    10. Ronan O'Gara - Munster/Cork Constitution
    11. Anthony Horgan - Munster/Cork Constitution
    12. Shane Horgan - Leinster/Lansdowne
    13. Gordon D'Arcy - Leinster/Lansdowne
    14. Tommy Bowe - Ulster/Belfast Harlequins
    15. Geordan Murphy - Leicester Tigers

16. Rory Best - Ulster/Belfast Harlequins
    17. Simon Best - Ulster/Belfast Harlequins
    18. Matt McCullough - Ulster/Ballymena
    19. Neil Best - Ulster/Belfast Harlequins
    20. Kieran Campbell - Ulster/Dungannon
    21. David Humphreys - Ulster/Dungannon
    22. Girvan Dempsey - Leinster/Terenure College

New caps are: Rory Best and Neil Best
    Last edited by Gyoza; November 8th, 2005 at 2:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wallabies to face England at Twickenham
    1. Matt Dunning - NSW Waratahs
    2. Brendan Cannon - Western Force
    4. Nathan Sharpe - Western Force
    5. Hugh McMeniman - Queensland Reds
    6. John Roe - Queensland Reds
    7. Phil Waugh - NSW Waratahs
    8. George Smith - ACT Brumbies
    10. Mat Rogers - NSW Waratahs
    11. Drew Mitchell - Queensland Reds
    13. Lote Tuqiri - NSW Waratahs
    15. Chris Latham - Queensland Reds

16. Tafatu Polata-Nau - NSW Waratahs
    17. Greg Holmes - Queensland Reds
    18. Mark Chisholm - ACT Brumbies
    19. Scott Fava - Western Force
    21. Matt Giteau - ACT Brumbies
    22. Lloyd Johannson - Queensland Reds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weekend's major results:
    Wales 11 - 10 Fiji in Cardiff
    For Wales:
    Try by Michael Owen
    Penalty goal and dropped goal by Nick Robinson
    For Fiji:
    Try by Ifereimi Rawaqa
    Conversion by Julian Vulakoro
    Dropped goal by Seremaia Bai

Ireland 7 - 45 New Zealand in Dublin
    For Ireland:
    Try by Marcus Horan
    Conversion by David Humphreys
    For New Zealand:
    Tries by Sitiveni Sivivatu (2), Doug Howlett (2) and Piri Weepu
    4 conversions and 4 penalty goals by Nick Evans

England 26 - 16 Australia at Twickenham
    For England:
    Tries by Ben Cohen and Mark Cueto
    Conversion, 2 penalty goals and dropped goal by Charlie Hodgson
    Conversion and penalty goal by Olly Barkley
    For Australia:
    Try by Drew Mitchell

Scotland 19 - 23 Argentina at Murrayfield
    For Scotland:
    Try by Dan Parks
    Conversion, 3 penalty goals and dropped goal by Chris Paterson
    For Argentina:
    Try by Francisco Leonelli and penalty try
    2 conversions and 3 penalty goals by Federico Todeschini

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All Blacks XV to face England at Twickenham

17. Neemia Tialata - Hurricanes/Wellington
    18. Jason Eaton - Taranaki
    19. Mose Tuiali'i - Crusaders/Canterbury
    20. Piri Weepu - Hurricanes/Wellington
    21. Joe Rokocoko - Blues/Auckland

Overall, a very strong squad. The front-row battles should be interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just came back from Japan, and I've learned that the All Blacks have achieved the Grand Slam. Hahaha yes!

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Hate to say it but you deserved it as well............
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp@des View Post
    Rip is a god. That is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caito View Post
    I fucking love Rip lol

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny View Post
    I fucking love you seriously
    Quote Originally Posted by BBF
    You are an evil genius.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rosk View Post
    I can't wait to hold Rip's hand while Glen sings and turn to him slowly, smiling, mouthing the words to True Love Ways

Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    Rip is amazing.