For the All Blacks:
    Try by Sione Lauaki
    Conversion, 6 penalty goals and a dropped goal by Carter
    For the Springboks:
    Tries by JP Pietersen and Enrico Januarie
    Conversion by Francois Steyn
    3 penalty goals by Percy Montgomery
    2 penalty goals and a dropped goal by Butch James

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck! Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck!

Told ya. The Springboks prove they are deserving world Champions by beating the All Blacks on their own soil for the first time in what felt like forever and a day.

So all those arguements and criticisms about how South Africa were lucky they didn't meet the Kiwi's, the Kiwi's were cheated out of a World Cup or that the Kiwi's were the real World Champions become somewhat null and void.

As does the accusations that Peter de Villiers is a puppet go out the window, though those did have reasonable basis of merit he does appear to be a good Coach so far.

I'm going to assume that criticisms of Henry by many quarters will continue and if the aussies beat the All Blacks then he will lose all faith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 2-point loss is far from getting "fucked". Losing Williams early was a big blow, but the ABs, with so little experienced players around the pitch did very well to keep the Springboks against the ropes for much of the game. There really was nothing between the teams tonight. South Africa only won on the 76th minute through a moment of individual brilliance by Januarie and a near full-strength team was only able to get a 2-point win over an All Blacks side that was A) without its captain, B) without some key players due to injury/suspension, C) without the senior lock and D) with, for the most part, no serious test experience.

It's a historic win for the Springboks, as it's their first in 10 years in New Zealand and their first ever in Dunedin. It's also the first time Butch James has been in a team that's beaten the All Blacks.
    It also ends a 6-year winning streak at home and a 7-year winning streak at Carisbrook for the All Blacks, who have only lost about 4 times in a test match now on that pitch in over 100 years.
    Last edited by Gyoza; July 12th, 2008 at 7:41 AM.

Warning. Rabidly Arsenal. eldanielfire's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyoza View Post
    A 2-point loss is far from getting "fucked".

New Zealand 28 - 30 South Africa in Dunedin

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck! Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck!
    FUCK!

Now I'm finished with the baiting and piss taking I have to say the ELVs have grown on me somewhat. Now that players and coaches are used to them, it's less of a shitty kicking fest than before. Both Black/Bok tests this month have been great to watch. I especially like the 5 metre rule from the scrum and quick throw rules as the not kicking out has been a delight.

However I still think some of the ELVs are shit like the any number of players in the lineout, the maul being collasped and hands in the ruck. The maul and lineout rules massively contradict each other making both potentially useless.

The freekicks/penality rules should be cleared up massively as well.

However by many accounts the full set being used in teh Currie Cup has shitted Rugby up so much careful debate should go on about which rules to use.
    Last edited by eldanielfire; July 13th, 2008 at 3:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'm entitled to be disappointed at losing with a 2-point margin, especially when we dominated the second half and came within a whisker of stealing this one away from them. Especially when it's a loss at home, ending what was a record-setting winning streak. Oh well. It's not the end of the world.

The SANZAR committee were told to use the full set and they responded with a "fuck off" while a similarly reduced set has been used in the internationals.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see the aussies are hyping themselves to top the Springboks in Perth. I love the aussies attitude but the Saffers are still going to fuck 'em. And so are the Kiwi's who will have a massive hard on to prove themselves against the Crim's.

However there is no doubt those robbing bastards will find a way to exploitsome weakness in how the ELVs are applied and con the ref in some way over the next few games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wallabies squad to face the Springboks in Perth
    1. Benn Robinson
    2. Stephen Moore
    3. Al Baxter
    4. James Horwill
    5. Nathan Sharpe
    6. Rocky Elsom
    7. George Smith
    8. Wycliff Palu
    9. Luke Burgess
    10. Matt Giteau
    11. Lote Tuqiri
    12. Berrick Barnes
    13. Stirling Mortlock (Captain)
    14. Peter Hynes
    15. Adam Ashley-Cooper

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
    17. Matt Dunning
    18. Hugh McMeniman
    19. Phil Waugh
    20. Sam Cordingley
    21. Ryan Cross
    22. Drew Mitchell

Springboks squad to face Wallabies
    1. Gurthro Steenkamp
    2. Schalk Brits
    3. CJ van der Linde
    4. Bakkies Botha
    5. Victor Matfield (Captain)
    6. Schalk Burger
    7. Juan Smith
    8. Pierre Spies
    9. Enrico Januarie
    10. Butch James
    11. Bryan Habana
    12. Jean de Villiers
    13. Francois Steyn
    14. JP Pietersen
    15. Conrad Jantjes

16. Adiaan Strauss
    17. Tendai Mtawarira
    18. Brian Mujati
    19. Andries Bekker
    20. Ryan Kankowski
    21. Ruan Pienaar
    22. Peter Grant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Australia 16 - 9 South Africa in Perth
    For the Wallabies:
    Tries by Lote Tuqiri and Stirling Mortlock
    Penalty goal by Matt Giteau
    Dropped goal by Berrick Barnes
    For the Springboks:
    2 penalty goals by Francois Steyn
    Penalty goal by Butch James

The Wallabies have just done the All Blacks a huge favour, as it keeps the ABs at the top of the Tri-Nations table on 5 points. The Springboks salvage a losing bonus point from this and head back home where they now have to wait for 3 weeks before taking on the All Blacks in Cape Town. The Wallabies host the All Blacks in Sydney on the 26th before heading to Auckland for round 2 of the Bledisloe series.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, well, well! Deans has certainly made a good start with the aussies. The Tri-Nations will be very, very interesting if the Wallibies best the All Blacks.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahahah the best Rugby League player in the world (in my opinion) and a player with more skill than every rugby union player combined has just said he turned down a contract with Rugby because he would be too bored on the field

Greg Inglis would have turned Australia into the greatest Rugby Union side ever though. I mean he would have just destroyed sides himself.

Intercontinental Champion mj the kid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahahaha Inglis is a legend.

Good to see us fuck the Saffies. They were shit whilst I was watching.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Cash View Post
    ahahah the best Rugby League player in the world (in my opinion) and a player with more skill than every rugby union player combined has just said he turned down a contract with Rugby because he would be too bored on the field

Greg Inglis would have turned Australia into the greatest Rugby Union side ever though. I mean he would have just destroyed sides himself.
    I doubt it. League players for the most part have found the transition to union to be too steep a step. The likes of Brad Thorn, Lote Tuqiri and Jason Robinson are the exceptions, not the norm.

There's also talk of Karmichael Hunt joining the Queensland Reds, but the real threat is up north. The French clubs appear to be keen on signing NRL players. They tend to be trend-whores so it looks like league players are the next big thing there.
    Last edited by Gyoza; July 20th, 2008 at 4:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, Daniel Braid has been officially called up to the All Blacks and it looks like he'll be wearing the 7 jersey against Australia. Awesome.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4624261a1823.html

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt it. League players for the most part have found the transition to union to be too steep a step. The likes of Brad Thorn, Lote Tuqiri and Jason Robinson are the exceptions, not the norm.
    I think you are underestimating or haven't seen how good Greg Inglis is. He is being played probably out of position at Melbourne but he is certainly better than Tuqiri and Robinson when they were at where Inglis is at.

He would play fullback if he had gone to Rugby Union and he would have torn it up. Tuqiri was an awesome finisher of tries in Rugby League, but he couldn't touch Inglis in pure skill and athleticism.

You should check out some of the Melbourne Storms outside backs, you would be blown away by just how athletic they are. Are you honestly saying that someone Israel Folau wouldn't dominate Rugby Union out wide.

You are deluded if you can't recognise the best Rugby League players are just simply better than the best Rugby Union players and Greg Inglis is probably the best Rugby League player at this point in time. Like when Andrew Johns was a better player than all Rugby Union halves put together. It is nothing to be ashamed of, League just produces better skilled players.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-XdYlMs5q0

lol rugby league players couldn't handle Rugby Union Izzy would be unstoppable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inglis is probably the most talented athlete in Australia in any sport. Comparing him with Tuqiri, Thorn and Robinson is pretty poor. He makes them look like mugs in terms of ability.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anything Rugby League is suffering from the dominance of the athletic players. Players like Inglis and Folau are very hard to defend against. So a lot of sides can dominate just by kicking to freaks like Folau.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive never understood why they hardly use attacking kicks in rugby.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a big part of the reason why Rugby League players are more athletic than Rugby Union players is that Australians tend to play Rugby League and they are better athletes at the elite level than Kiwis and Poms.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a real shame, a real loss clearly. Obviously he's staying because the game of Rugby League itself is just such a spectacle, but what really keeps myself, and literally thousands of others, going back for more is the closely-contested nature of its internationals. I mean, there's never a time when any one team, let's say Australia for example, are guaranteed a win.

The unpredictability of rugby league is unbearable at times. I can't imagine how Rugby League fans would ever need to obsess about constantly comparing themselves to anything else, say another similar sport whose fans probably don't give a shit, and go on and on and on about it. Here's hoping for another century of League that is just as exciting as the first!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are underestimating or haven't seen how good Greg Inglis is. He is being played probably out of position at Melbourne but he is certainly better than Tuqiri and Robinson when they were at where Inglis is at.

He would play fullback if he had gone to Rugby Union and he would have torn it up. Tuqiri was an awesome finisher of tries in Rugby League, but he couldn't touch Inglis in pure skill and athleticism.

You should check out some of the Melbourne Storms outside backs, you would be blown away by just how athletic they are. Are you honestly saying that someone Israel Folau wouldn't dominate Rugby Union out wide.
    OK, so I youtubed some Inglis videos and I have to admit, that over-the-head flick he did to set up a try in the test against the Kiwis did impress me a bit. I'll concede that he certainly is talented. However, I wouldn't be so sure that they'd be dominating because of the offensive and defensive systems emphasised in union. A player like Inglis may shine in the All Blacks or French environment where moments of individual brilliance are part and parcel to the tactics but may find themselves stifled in the English or South African environments.

You are deluded if you can't recognise the best Rugby League players are just simply better than the best Rugby Union players and Greg Inglis is probably the best Rugby League player at this point in time. Like when Andrew Johns was a better player than all Rugby Union halves put together. It is nothing to be ashamed of, League just produces better skilled players.
    League players get to showcase their skills more because it's a faster-paced skill-based game. Traditional union games tend to be slower-paced games with an emphasis on tactics but with the ELVs being tried out, there's a definite shift towards a faster-paced running game. I don't know if that'll see more league players being pursued by union teams though. Besides, league players tend to struggle in the 15-man code, but it's not unusual for them to find themselves more comfortable in the sevens environment where skills and pace have a much bigger emphasis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eldanielfire View Post
    That's a real shame, a real loss clearly. Obviously he's staying because the game of Rugby League itself is just such a spectacle, but what really keeps myself, and literally thousands of others, going back for more is the closely-contested nature of its internationals. I mean, there's never a time when any one team, let's say Australia for example, are guaranteed a win.

The unpredictability of rugby league is unbearable at times. I can't imagine how Rugby League fans would ever need to obsess about constantly comparing themselves to anything else, say another similar sport whose fans probably don't give a shit, and go on and on and on about it. Here's hoping for another century of League that is just as exciting as the first!
    League fans seem to have an "us VS them" mentality towards union, whereas union fans don't really give a shit about league. League players that make the shift are often the target of scorn and derision and the likes of Wendell Sailor and Andy Farrell were often seen as jokes. Some have demonstrated a degree of schadenfreude re: league's struggles to hold onto players against the richer union teams but that's more to do with having to watch in horror as union players signed up with league teams during the amateur era.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a big union vs League mentality in Australia because the competition between the codes is huge at the moment. AFL and Soccer are going from strength to strength whilst League is out muscling the Union boys for various reasons. This probably filters down to us fans. Plus people in Austalia who follow Union are massive wankers.

Oh and Gyoza, Inglis would tear apart anyone in Union. Not having a pop at Union in any way as he is unstoppable in League as well. He is a freak.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you league fans are making a deal that some player who hasn't played Union, isn't going to play Union. I mean how is that news to Union fans not really interested in league?

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was because he said that Union would be too boring for him that I found most amusing.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So....it's susposed to be news that 1 aussie has the exact same opinion as about 20 million others? Wow, really wow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mj the kid View Post
    There is a big union vs League mentality in Australia because the competition between the codes is huge at the moment. AFL and Soccer are going from strength to strength whilst League is out muscling the Union boys for various reasons. This probably filters down to us fans. Plus people in Austalia who follow Union are massive wankers.
    That probably is also due to the lack of success for the Wallabies and poor promotion at the grassroots level on the part of the ARU. The first part, the struggle of the Wallabies is down to several factors that are too lengthy to go into here, but while they have had the occasional win over the All Blacks and Springboks in the TNs and in Europe, there's been a lack of silverware in the ARU cabinets. How many trophies have the Wallabies held onto since the end of the Rod Macqueen era?

Oh and Gyoza, Inglis would tear apart anyone in Union. Not having a pop at Union in any way as he is unstoppable in League as well. He is a freak.
    See, we've heard this all before only for the player to not deliver. "Oh, he'll be awesome! Oh, he'll be unstoppable!" And then we get another Wendell Sailor which causes the fans of the other national sides to collectively giggle. Besides, Inglis isn't going to play union anyway so it's a moot point. The NRL should be wary though. They're going to have to scrap the salary cap eventually or more and more players will shift codes or head to the European union clubs.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wendell Sailor is a totally different prospect to Greg Inglis. It would have been more like if NSW RU had managed to sign Andrew Johns. Thats always been Rugby Unions biggest problem in Australia, they spend huge money on League centres and wingers. You think they would put the money into either a) Our more skilled and mobile forwards or b) the halves.

The reason why we lose a lot of centres and wingers is because our clubs aren't dumb enough to fork out a lot of cash on those positions. Especially when clubs have bigger priorities like spending 800k on fucking Todd Carney over the next 2 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure Inglis, if he makes the switch would be a good player once he finds his feet in union and acclimates to the environment. He'll be more like Tuqiri in his current form than Sailor ever was in union, but I wouldn't be so sure that it's a given. You are right about the previous ARU board's fetish for signing league wingers and centres, as well as the fact that they seem to be quick to pursue league players rather than develop their own talent. That's more a failure of the ARU though, rather than an indication of the attitude of other unions. We're also seeing something similar now happening in the European clubs, as successful league players switch codes and get fast-tracked into the test teams (particularly in England), only to be exposed as being decidedly average, while providing yet another glass ceiling for emerging talent resulting in a continuous decline for the national team.

The NZRFU for example rarely pulls out the chequebooks for league players and former league players in test colours are a very rare sight over here, as the majority of players that participated in both codes more often than not choose union over league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also this:
    http://www.rugbyheaven.co.nz/4625546a22363.html

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The salary cap is an issue, but there just isn't the same amount of money in League as there is in Union. The problem is that the NRL is a thousand times powerful than the ARU and therefore Union in this country is dying regardless of the money it has.

Australia has a small population and the Rugby codes are only really followed in two states with any kind of zest (with small pockets of support for Union in the West) and in those states Rugby League is too well established.

Australian Rugby is in as much trouble from League as League is from overseas Rugby. The only thing keeping the ARU a float is they can offer large contracts to the players. If League did drop its salary cap than surely League clubs would go after players like Matt Giteau who have a background in League (His father was a former Canberra Raiders captain)

If I ran Rugby League, and there was no salary cap, I would help the Canberra Raiders and the three Queensland sides push aggressively after Brumbie and Reds players respectively.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is possible that league teams would start trying to raid union teams like they did in the amateur era if the salary cap is abolished.

Of course, the power structure at the administrative level between the two codes is completely different in other nations. The NZRL is basically seen as the inbred cousin of the NZRFU that no one likes to talk about over here and it's quite telling that someone like Piri Weepu, who grew up in one of the few league strong-holds and has often expressed an ambition to play league one day chooses to play for Wellington and aim for a spot in the All Blacks than move over to league to try his hand there.

Who from the Reds and Brumbies would you pick, out of interest? I think someone like Chris Latham could've been a great league player had he gone with that code, while the talents of someone like George Smith or David Croft would be wasted due to the lack of contest for the ball in the tackles.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually the only Rugby Union player I would want to play for Canberra plays for the Western Force. Someone like Clyde Rathbone before his injury would have been a useful signing. Two of the best raiders players ever were former Union players, so I always think its worth a punt. Ricky Stuart (who was one of the players who changed modern Rugby League for the better) and Ben Kennedy.

The position is pretty much the opposite here, even after the Rugby World cup League was still bigger than Union. Union is richer which keeps the sport going, but clubs like the Brisbane Broncos would surely put pressure on the Reds if there was no salary cap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the last RWC was one of the worst things I've ever seen and the semifinals and final were three of the biggest abortions masquarading as test matches ever dumped onto a rugby field. In fact, there hasn't been a truly great tournament since the one in 1995. It was also marred by horrible officiating but that's a discussion that's been done to death anyway.

Union players have often made better transitions to league than the other way around for some reason. Matthew Ridge for example was always seen as a second-string fullback behind John Gallagher and a second-string kicker behind Grant Fox for both Auckland and the All Blacks before making a very successful transition to league. It may be a reflection on the origins of league as an alternative for union players who wanted to get paid as professional athletes.

At this point the two codes have so many differences that it will be unlikely that a convert would make a successful code switch right away. When you look at the 3 league players that currently play for the Wallabies, all three of them had to find their feet at the Super rugby level before getting test honours, while the notable league converts in NZ rugby have achieved varying levls of success - Tana Umaga (who was forced to convert to union by his mum in his late teens after representing NZ in league at the age-group levels) was a huge success, while Tasesa Lavea is basically a "never was" as a union player despite some success playing for Melbourne. Umaga's switch to union was before professionalism and while he was still developing as a player, whereas Lavea had already played some seasons at the senior level when he converted.
    Last edited by Gyoza; July 22nd, 2008 at 6:01 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tasesa Lavea is one of the worst professional footballers I have ever seen in any code. Giteau would be a useful half or 5/8 in League. The forwards have trouble adapting as its so much quicker with the play the ball.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're also seeing something similar now happening in the European clubs, as successful league players switch codes and get fast-tracked into the test teams (particularly in England), only to be exposed as being decidedly average, while providing yet another glass ceiling for emerging talent resulting in a continuous decline for the national team.
    I wouldn't say it's happening too much in the UK recently. Farrell was clearly sort after but an utter failure and Lesley Vainikolo kinda was persued by Gloucester only for a few years and has become more and more of a disappointment as the seaosn went on because his try total was skewed by the million he score din his first game against possibly the worst Guinness Premiership team in a long while, Leeds, who were on a bad run for a bad team.

I wouldn't be surprised if a few kept cropping up because Harelequinns and Leeds Union teams are very close to the League counterparts to the point Quinn's are now united as as one company who train their pool of youth together in both codes.

The salary cap is an issue, but there just isn't the same amount of money in League as there is in Union. The problem is that the NRL is a thousand times powerful than the ARU and therefore Union in this country is dying regardless of the money it has.
    Wasn't it reported that Union TV ratings were significantly up for this years Super 14? Not that it's comparable to League or Aussie rules:

http://www.theroar.com.au/2008/03/15...uper-14-stats/

Funny enough, I popped out to Clapham Common for a few hours and they a bunch of English school kids playing a Aussie rules football game, apparently it was a final, after that two teams of adult aussies played. It was a fairly interesting experience. Lots of kicking and quite gay wife-beater tops.

Is it the law by the way that all aussies must drink Fosters when they watch Sport? I swear from the hundred people watching (almost all from down under) they all had the blue tin in their hands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tasesa Lavea is one of the worst professional footballers I have ever seen in any code. Giteau would be a useful half or 5/8 in League. The forwards have trouble adapting as its so much quicker with the play the ball.
    Everyone knows Lavea is shit and the only reason he got so much time at 10 for Auckland was because there was no one else. Once a better alternative was found, he got the bum's rush out of the province.
    The skill-set required by forwards in union and league are so different it's actually remarkable that Brad Thorn has made a successful transition. Players like George Smith and Richie McCaw would be wasted in league, as their main strength is their skill in contesting the ball in the tackle. Players like Pierre Spies and Adam Thomson might make a decent league forward though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't say it's happening too much in the UK recently. Farrell was clearly sort after but an utter failure and Lesley Vainikolo kinda was persued by Gloucester only for a few years and has become more and more of a disappointment as the seaosn went on because his try total was skewed by the million he score din his first game against possibly the worst Guinness Premiership team in a long while, Leeds, who were on a bad run for a bad team.

I wouldn't be surprised if a few kept cropping up because Harelequinns and Leeds Union teams are very close to the League counterparts to the point Quinn's are now united as as one company who train their pool of youth together in both codes.
    Possibly, but it's already exacerbating an existing problem in European rugby caused by short-sighted greedy clubs. The vast majority of players that sign with clubs up north in NZ are players at the fag-ends of their careers like Carlos Spencer and Anton Oliver or never-was journeymen like Paul Tito or Brent Ward. Meanwhile existing veteran players have little incentive to move on, since they're already at the greenest pastures around. As a result, the path of young English talent is blocked while down here there's a periodic process in which the players leaving acts as a way of trimming the fat. We may lose the odd bit of meat in the process, but it's not unusual for them to come back anyway like Leon MacDonald or Troy Flavell did. By signing league players, the clubs are creating another glass ceiling for this young talent to get through, while down here our players get to be exposed to a high level of play from a relatively early age giving them a head-start against their NH counterparts.
    That then results in a New Zealand team with players that had been able to handle themselves in the S14 against teams containing current All Blacks, Wallabies and Springboks playing for the NZ U20 team and beating everyone quite comfortably while senior England and France teams looked completely clueless against young All Blacks and Wallabies teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All Blacks squad to play the Wallabies in Sydney
    1. Tony Woodcock
    2. Andrew Hore
    3. Greg Somerville
    4. Brad Thorn
    5. Ali Williams
    6. Rodney So'oialo (Captain)
    7. Daniel Braid
    8. Jerome Kaino
    9. Andrew Ellis
    10. Daniel Carter
    11. Sitiveni Sivivatu
    12. Ma'a Nonu
    13. Richard Kahui
    14. Anthony Tuitavake
    15. Malili Muliaina

16. Keven Mealamu
    17. John Afoa
    18. Anthony Boric
    19. Sione Lauaki
    20. Jimmy Cowan
    21. Stephen Donald
    22. Conrad Smith

Also, Chris Masoe has signed with Castres in the French Top 14 on a 2-year deal effectively ending his test career for the time being. It was a matter of time once he was dropped from the All Blacks anyway.

Edit: McCaw's ruled himself out of the test match, delaying his return by at least a week.
    Last edited by Gyoza; July 23rd, 2008 at 6:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wallabies squad to face All Blacks
    1. Benn Robinson
    2. Stephen Moore
    3. Alastair Baxter
    4. James Horwill
    5. Nathan Sharpe
    6. Rocky Elsom
    7. George Smith (Captain)
    8. Wycliff Palu
    9. Luke Burgess
    10. Matt Giteau
    11. Lote Tuqiri
    12. Berrick Barnes
    13. Ryan Cross
    14. Peter Hynes
    15. Adam Ashley-Cooper

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
    17. Matt Dunning
    18. Daniel Vickerman
    19. Phil Waugh
    20. Sam Cordingley
    21. Timana Tahu
    22. Drew Mitchell

Sir Jones of Launceston Eggbert Spam's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like the All Blacks finally have the man they need to win the world cup. Shame he'll probably be injured each time they have an important match.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you have to play club Rugby in New Zealand to be able to play for the all-blacks. Anyway from reports he is apparently playing Centre in Union.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this about Sonny Bill Williams signing to play for Toulon? Meh.

And yes. To be eligible for the ABs, you have to be signed to the NZRFU and have at least one game for a province/S14 franchise under your belt during that season.

Right now, I'm quite annoyed with the result of that game. Terrible performance all-round and we were robbed of what should've been a penalty try.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shame I didn't watch the match so I have nothing to zing you with. I was too busy watching David Campese nephew become my new non-alcoholic hero.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Australia 34 - 19 New Zealand in Sydney
    For the Wallabies:
    Tries by Ryan Cross, Peter Hynes, Rocky Elsom and James Horwill
    4 conversions, 1 penalty goal and a dropped goal by Matt Giteau
    For the All Blacks:
    Tries by Malili Muliaina, Andrew Hore and Andrew Ellis
    2 conversions by Daniel Carter

Terrible performance by the All Blacks. The Wallabies were a far better team on the night.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched the highlights and some of the defence was awful. That Andrew Hore try he just strolled through about 5 people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We simply weren't good enough on the night, with the players letting themselves down with terrible lapses and handling errors. The lack of experience in the loose forwards was also quite telling as Braid was often the first on the scene but was rendered ineffective by the Aussie loosies because he got no support from his own forward pack.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the aussies look a force again and Henry looks fucked. He may be going to the point where he can't salavage his reputation because the his naysayers can keep pointing to his susposed replacement doing better with a 'lesser' Rugby team (ignoring the fact that aussies are never anything but among the best to any sport they put their minds to).

It desn't help that the All Blacks break well, but can't seem to finish (ironically England's problem a month ago) and make basic mistakes.....under pressure!

At the other end Australia looks like they have a great bunch of players coming through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a shocker for the ABs. Henry's probably read them the riot act and some players (i.e. Lauaki, whom I've never rated and never wanted in the black jersey) have surely played their last tests. Jerome Kaino is struggling with the step-up between test rugby and Super rugby, while others have played well below their capabilities. Daniel Braid was given a harder time than he should have by the other forwards who simply weren't there in support, making his life more difficult than it should have been. The other area of concern was the handling errors, while the little things that brought down Nonu's game until last season snuck back in on Saturday. Nonu's a smart young man, so he'll probably be disappointed with himself.

With injuries to Andrew Hore (damaged hip), Andrew Ellis (bruised ribs) and Jimmy Cowan (damaged MCL and broken nose), as well as Ali Williams struggling with injury, there have been some players called up. Braid remains in the squad as cover for McCaw, Kevin O'Neill returns to the squad as cover for Williams, Hikawera Elliot has been called up as cover for Hore and Piri Weepu has stepped in as cover for both Ellis and Cowan. Elliot is a strong, block-busting hooker in the David Latta/Sean Fitzpatrick mould who plays for Hawkes Bay and is Hore's understudy at the Hurricanes. He put in a series of strong performances for the NZ Maori and has been seen as a potential All Black. This is his big chance, I guess.

In other news, Andrew Hore, Anthony Boric and Adam Thomson have all extended their contracts with the NZRU. With other senior All Blacks including Rodney So'oialo, Daniel Carter and Richie McCaw re-signing and overseas players like Carl Hayman and Luke McAlister set to return at the end of next year, things are looking up for us. Exodus? What exodus?

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bring on the All Blacks in November.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Teams for the weekend have been named.

All Blacks squad to face Wallabies in Auckland
    1. Tony Woodcock
    2. Andrew Hore
    3. Greg Somerville
    4. Brad Thorn
    5. Ali Williams
    6. Jerome Kaino
    7. Richie McCaw (Captain)
    8. Rodney So'oialo
    9. Jimmy Cowan
    10. Daniel Carter
    11. Sitiveni Sivivatu
    12. Ma'a Nonu
    13. Conrad Smith
    14. Richard Kahui
    15. Malili Muliaina

16. Keven Mealamu
    17. John Afoa
    18. Anthony Boric
    19. Adam Thomson
    20. Piri Weepu
    21. Stephen Donald
    22. Anthony Tuitavake

Obviously at least one of Ellis or Cowan are expected to be fit. If neither are, presumably Taniela Moa will get a call-up as he's a quality halfback in the area. Henry hasn't decided on Thomson or Braid on the bench yet, as both offer good options. Thomson can cover all three loose forward positions, while Braid offers quality specialist cover at openside, with Boric covering the blindside as well as lock at 18. If Hore is not fit, Mealamu will start with Elliot sitting on the bench.
    The big return though is at 7, with McCaw making his long-awaited return. Hopefully there won't be any rust.

Edit: Leon MacDonald got ruled out today after suffering a head-knock during training. Muliaina shifts to 15, with Kahui moving into 14. Anthony Tuitavake goes to the bench.

Edit 2: Squad finalised for now. Cowan will start, playing through a knee injury, with Weepu on the bench. Thomson gets the no. 19 jersey. This means that if McCaw doesn't last the distance, So'oialo will take over the captaincy and to the flanks, probably with Kaino moving to 8. Overall, a good squad.

Wallabies squad to face All Blacks
    1. Benn Robinson
    2. Stephen Moore
    3. Al Baxter
    4. James Horwill
    5. Nathan Sharpe
    6. Phil Waugh
    7. George Smith
    8. Wycliff Palu
    9. Luke Burgess
    10. Matt Giteau
    11. Lote Tuqiri
    12. Berrick Barnes
    14. Peter Hynes
    15. Adam Ashley-Cooper

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
    17. Matt Dunning
    18. Daniel Vickerman
    19. Hugh McMeniman
    20. Sam Cordingley
    21. Ryan Cross
    22. Drew Mitchell

The Wallabies regain their captain, but lose their best blindside flanker in the process as Elsom is forced out with injury. The Wallabies as a result lose the hardened edge in their pack, with Waugh and Smith presumably playing left/right flanker.
    Last edited by Gyoza; August 1st, 2008 at 4:46 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interestingly the All Blacks getting fucked by the Aussies has set some sort of TV Record down Under

Bledisloe Cup smashes TV ratings
    By Jon Geddes

July 29, 2008 12:00am

THE Wallabies not only smashed the All Blacks last Saturday but the TV ratings as well, with their epic Bledisloe Cup victory the most viewed program on pay television this year.

Australia's 34-19 win under new coach Robbie Deans at ANZ Stadium was also the most watched rugby match ever shown on Fox Sports.

And Channel Seven's telecast of the game won the free to air ratings in Sydney on Saturday night.

An average 350,000 viewers watched the game on Fox Sports, while on a five-city metro basis, the Test attracted 727,000 free-to-air viewers - with 426,000 of them in Sydney.

Including regional areas, the combined TV audience nationwide was 1.445 million.

"The ARU is delighted to see television audiences on the rise," said CEO John O'Neill.
    Along with the significantly higher Super 14 ratings who said Union was dying in Australia? It seems to be surging upwards
    Last edited by eldanielfire; July 29th, 2008 at 8:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, so the guy that fills the vacant 14 jersey? Richard Kahui. Henry caught everyone off-guard with that. However, Kahui is no stranger to the wing, as he started off there when he made his debut at the S14 level for the Highlanders as a draft player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leon MacDonald's in doubt for the Cape Town test. Wayne Smith has stated he would like a good look at Wellington's Corey Jane. Meanwhile, there's a good chance a third hooker will head to South Africa. It will most likely be Hika Elliot.

In other news that's fit to print, it looks like a fad of taking responsibility is sweeping the rugby landscape. The 3 wise men admitted they were out-coached by Deans who had more experience with the ELVs. Craig Joubert has also come forward and put his hand up over the controversial incident involving Sivivatu, admitting he got things wrong. This is in stark contrast to Paddy O'Brien's behaviour last year, when he seemed to go ballistic at any suggestion that referees could get things wrong. Hopefully, this new attitude is permanent.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it worked. The Aussies were pinned down and raped by the All Blacks this time. I see the aussies still employ "We'll collaspe the Scrum rather than lose it" techniques they have cheated with for years now. One day the Aussie Rugby team will end up killing somebody.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New Zealand 39 - 10 Australia in Auckland
    For the All Blacks:
    Tries by Tony Woodcock (2) and Ma'a Nonu (2)
    2 conversions and 5 penalty goals by Daniel Carter
    For the Wallabies:
    Try by Adam Ashley-Cooper
    Conversion and penalty goal by Matt Giteau

Huge, huge improvement on last week to say the least. The Wallabies really missed Rocky Elsom out there, as the All Blacks forward completely monstered the Aussie forwards. They also reverted to their worrying habit of failing to protect the halfback, as Burgess got clattered several times by the ABs forwards and at times he was missing from the rucks and mauls. If Waugh and Smith were meant to negate McCaw's influence, they failed completely as Waugh played on longer than he should have while Smith was kept honest by the ABs forwards.
    Cowan had a terrific game as well, putting Ellis' place in the squad in doubt. If Ellis gets another game, he's going to have to step up big time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The competition goes into a 2-week break, presumably with the players returning to their respective provinces for the next round before the South African leg of the Tri-Nations begins.

So far the standings are as follows:
    1. The All Blacks - played 4, won 2, lost 2. 105 points scored, 82 conceded. 2 bonus points. 10 points.
    2. The Wallabies - played 3, won 2, lost 1. 60 points scored, 67 conceded. 1 bonus point. 9 points.
    3. The Springboks - played 3, won 1, lost 2. 47 points scored, 63 conceded. 1 bonus point. 5 points.

Official results so far:
    All Blacks 19 - 8 Springboks in Wellington (5th of July, 2008)
    All Blacks 28 - 30 Springboks in Dunedin (12th of July, 2008)
    Wallabies 16 - 9 Springboks in Perth (19th of July, 2008)
    Wallabies 34 - 19 All Blacks in Sydney (26th of July, 2008)
    All Blacks 39 - 10 Wallabies in Auckland (2nd of August, 2008)

To be played:
    Springboks VS All Blacks in Cape Town (17th of August, 2008)
    Springboks VS Wallabies in Durban (24th of August, 2008)
    Springboks VS Wallabies in Johannesburg (31st of August, 2008)
    Wallabies VS All Blacks in Brisbane (13th of September, 2008)
    Last edited by Gyoza; August 3rd, 2008 at 6:38 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Springboks squad to play the Pumas in Johannesburg
    1. Tendai Mtawarira
    2. Bismarck du Plessis
    3. CJ van der Linde
    4. Bakkies Botha
    5. Victor Matfield (captain)
    6. Luke Watson
    7. Juan Smith
    8. Pierre Spies
    9. Enrico Januarie
    10. Butch James
    11. Jongi Nokwe
    12. Jean de Villiers
    13. Adrian Jacobs
    14. JP Pietersen
    15. Conrad Jantjes

16. Adriaan Strauss
    17. Brian Mujati
    18. Andries Bekker
    19. Joe van Niekerk
    20. Fourie du Preez
    21. Jaque Fourie
    22. Percy Montgomery

Pumas squad to face Springboks
    1. Rodrigo Roncero
    2. Mario Ledesma
    3. Pedro Ledesma
    4. Rimas Alvarez
    5. Patricio Albacete
    6. Martin Durand
    7. Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe
    8. Juan Manuel Leguizamon
    9. Nicolas Vergallo
    10. Felipe Contepomi (Captain)
    11. Horacio Agulla
    12. Miguel Avramovic
    13. Federico Martin Aramburu
    14. Jose Maria Nunez Piossek
    15. Bernardo Stortoni

16. Alberto Vernet Basualdo
    17. Marcos Ayerza
    18. Esteban Lozada
    19. Alvaro Galindo
    20. Alfredo Lalanne
    21. Benjamin Urdapilleta
    22. Rafael Carballo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    South Africa 63 - 9 Argentina in Johannesburg
    For the Springboks:
    Tries by JP Pietersen (2), Joe van Niekerk (2), Adrian Jacobs, Jongi Nokwe, Pierre Spies, Fourie du Preez and Bismarck du Plessis
    9 conversions by Butch James
    For the Pumas:
    3 penalty goals by Felipe Contepomi

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ar`gies got smacked. Fair play it was first choice and they highly likely lack the depth of the 'Boks but that was a spanking. South Africa should be confident with their next 3 games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Springboks squad to play All Blacks in Cape Town
    1. Tendai Mtawarira
    2. Bismarck du Plessis
    3. CJ van der Linde
    4. Andries Bekker
    6. Schalk Burger
    7. Juan Smith
    8. Pierre Spies
    9. Fourie du Preez
    10. Butch James
    11. Bryan Habana
    12. Jean de Villiers
    13. Adrian Jacobs
    14. JP Pietersen
    15. Percy Montgomery

16. Adriaan Strauss
    17. Brian Mujati
    18. Danie Rossouw
    19. Luke Watson
    20. Enrico Januarie
    21. Francois Steyn
    22. Conrad Jantjes

All Blacks squad to play Springboks
    1. Tony Woodcock
    2. Andrew Hore
    3. Greg Somerville
    4. Brad Thorn
    5. Ali Willliams
    6. Jerome Kaino
    8. Rodney So’oialo
    9. Jimmy Cowan
    10. Daniel Carter
    11. Sitiveni Sivivatu
    12. Ma’a Nonu
    13. Conrad Smith
    14. Richard Kahui
    15. Malili Muliaina

16. Keven Mealamu
    17. John Afoa
    18. Anthony Boric
    19. Adam Thomson
    20. Piri Weepu
    21. Stephen Donald
    22. Isaia Toeava
    Last edited by Gyoza; August 13th, 2008 at 9:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    South Africa 0 - 19 New Zealand in Cape Town
    For the All Blacks:
    Tries by Conrad Smith, Daniel Carter and Keven Mealamu
    2 conversions by Carter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was an absolutely tremendous performance by the All Blacks, who absorbed incredible amounts of pressure from the Springboks, turning over the ball numerous times on the touchline and shutting the South Africans out completely on their own turf. The score would have been bigger had Carter not struggled with the conditions at Newlands, which in all fairness is the toughest ground to score placekicks at. The Springboks had the edge in the scrums for much of the game, but the All Blacks stepped up as the match went on, while the Springbok line-out which has long been a thorn in our side never gained any sort of dominance.

A great weekend for New Zealand, in sporting terms.

Tri-Nations standings
    1. New Zealand - played 5, won 3, lost 2; scored 124, conceded 82; 2 bonus points; 14 points
    2. Australia - played 3, won 2, lost 1; scored 60, conceded 67; 1 bonus point; 9 points
    3. South Africa - played 4 - won 1, lost 3; scored 47, conceded 82; 1 bonus point; 5 points

Remaining fixtures
    South Africa VS Australia in Durban, 24th of August
    South Africa VS Australia in Johannesburg, 31st of August
    Australia VS New Zealand in Brisbane, 13th of September

South Africa now have 2 fixtures against Australia to finish their bit, followed by a 2 week break in the competition before the third of four Bledisloe tests this year. The All Blacks will effectively have a month to recover from the South African leg and they'll be playing Samoa in New Plymouth 10 days before the Brisbane test to work off any rustiness.

Australia have always struggled on the road, with an especially appalling record in South Africa, their last win there coming in 2000 (in Durban, coincidentally) and they have never won in Jo'burg. The Springboks will probably look to recover for next week. Australia to win a close match in Durban and to get smashed in Jo'burg.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it worked. The Aussies were pinned down and raped by the All Blacks this time. I see the aussies still employ "We'll collaspe the Scrum rather than lose it" techniques they have cheated with for years now. One day the Aussie Rugby team will end up killing somebody.
    They nearly killed one of their own, ending Ben Darwin's career in 2003. It took a huge effort by Kees Meeuws who was scrummaging against him to save his life and prevent the injury from being worse than it could've been. His career ended, but all things considered, Darwin came out ahead there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    South Africa 15 - 27 Australia in Durban
    For the Springboks:
    Tries by Adrian Jacobs (2)
    Conversion by Percy Montgomery
    Penalty goal by Butch James
    For the Wallabies:
    Tries by Benn Robinson, Lote Tuqiri and Stirling Mortlock
    3 conversions and 2 penalty goals by Matt Giteau

Ooof. Wouldn't want to be Peter de Villiers right now. The crowd was proper furious at the end, booing the Boks off the pitch.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gyoza, there seems to be very good odds that French Rugby are about to have a crack at another two or three high profile and very skilled NRL players. Lets say they end up with 5 including the two high profile players they have now and say three become top line players.

Could they in theory... play for France at international level ??

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EU laws say 3 years residency will make them eligble for France as long as they haven't played Union for another nation. OWho they play for in oher sports doesn't matter. They need to reside in the country for 3 years though. Lesley Vainikolo played for New Zealand in League years ago and then Union for England eariler this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gyoza, there seems to be very good odds that French Rugby are about to have a crack at another two or three high profile and very skilled NRL players. Lets say they end up with 5 including the two high profile players they have now and say three become top line players.

Could they in theory... play for France at international level ??
    If they play in France for 3 years and don't represent another country at the 7s, A-level or test level, then they will be eligible to play for them according to IRB regulations. The French can get around it if they sign a player who has French ancestry, but it comes down to whether or not those players actually want to play for France.

If they want to represent Australia in union, they need to head back there and play for one of the four S14 teams according to ARU regulations, since overseas players aren't eligible for selection there.

Sonny Bill on the other hand has already stated he wants to play for the All Blacks one day and seeing as how he's on a 1-year contract with Toulon, it's possible he'll be heading down here and signing with a province one day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In other news that's fit to print, South Africa have lost CJ van der Linde who was suspended for four weeks after a ridiculous headbutt on Berrick Barnes 8 minutes into the Durban test (he should've been given a stiffer sentence). The Springboks already have Victor Matfield, Butch James, Bismarck du Plessis, Tendai Mtwarira and Bryan Habana in doubt. Jannie du Plessis has been called up as cover for the Johannesburg test. du Plessis, Mtwarira and van der Linde are big losses for the Boks, but Matfield, Habana and James aren't considering how they've been playing this year.

Meanwhile, the Wallabies have lost Rocky Elsom to suspension as well, having received a one-week sentence for playing Matfield in the air in a line-out. They're set to appeal the decision, but odds are he won't start at 6 in Jo'burg. They've lost Daniel Vickerman and Berrick Barnes to injury as well, with Nathan Sharpe being recalled as cover in the locks while Timana Tahu is expected to start at 12 in place of Barnes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Springboks squad to face Wallabies in Johannesburg
    1. Tendai Mtwarira
    2. Bismarck du Plessis
    3. Brian Mujati
    4. Andries Bekker
    6. Schalk Burger
    7. Juan Smith
    8. Pierre Spies
    9. Fourie du Preez
    10. Butch James
    11. Jongi Nokwe
    12. Jean de Villiers
    13. Adrian Jacobs
    14. Odwa Ndungane
    15. Conrad Jantjes

16. Adriaan Strauss
    17. Jannie du Plessis
    18. Danie Rossouw
    19. Luke Watson
    20. Ricky Januarie
    21. Ruan Pienaar
    22 Percy Montgomery

Wallabies squad to face Springboks
    1. Benn Robinson
    2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
    3. Matt Dunning
    4. James Horwill
    5. Hugh McMeniman
    6. Rocky Elsom
    7. Phil Waugh
    8. Wycliff Palu
    9. Sam Cordingley
    10. Matt Giteau
    11. Lote Tuqiri
    12. Timana Tahu
    14. Peter Hynes
    15. Adam Ashley-Cooper

16. Stephen Moore
    17. Al Baxter
    18. Dean Mumm
    19. George Smith
    20. Brett Sheehan
    21. Ryan Cross
    22. Drew Mitchell

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    South Africa 53-8 Australia

South Africa (27) 53
    Tries: Bekker, Nokwe (4), Jacobs, Pienaar, Ndungane Con: James (3), Montgomery (2) Pen: James Australia (3) 8
    Tries: Mitchell Pens: Giteau 2

Aussies got fucked

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They nearly killed one of their own, ending Ben Darwin's career in 2003. It took a huge effort by Kees Meeuws who was scrummaging against him to save his life and prevent the injury from being worse than it could've been. His career ended, but all things considered, Darwin came out ahead there.
    They were doing it again against the Boks. They are going to fucking kill people soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All Blacks squad to face Manu Samoa in New Plymouth
    1. Tony Woodcock
    2. Andrew Hore
    3. Greg Somerville
    4. Anthony Boric
    5. Ali Williams
    6. Jerome Kaino
    7. Adam Thomson
    8. Rodney So'oialo (Captain)
    9. Jimmy Cowan
    10. Dan Carter
    11. Anthony Tuitavake
    12. Ma'a Nonu
    13. Conrad Smith
    14. Richard Kahui
    15. Malili Muliaina

16. Keven Mealamu
    17. Neemia Tialata
    18. Sione Lauaki
    19. Piri Weepu
    20. Stephen Donald
    21. Isaia Toeava
    22. Rudi Wulf

Manu Samoa squad to face All Blacks
    1. Simon Lemalu
    2. Loleni Tafuna
    3. Heroshi Tea
    4. Filipo Levi (Captain)
    5. Chad Slade
    6. Semo Sititi
    7. Alafoti Faosiliva
    8. George Stowers
    9. Notise Tauafao
    10. Uale Mai
    11. Esera Lauina
    12. Jerry Meafou
    13. Pale Toelupe
    14. Reupena Levasa
    15. Alatasi Tupou

16. Lafoga Aoelua
    17. Roysiu Tolufale
    18. Maselino Paulino
    19. Simaika Mikaele
    20. Junior Poluleuligaga
    21. Roger Warren
    22. Romi Ropati

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New Zealand 101 - 14 Samoa in New Plymouth
    For the All Blacks:
    Tries by Malili Muliaina (3), Conrad Smith (2), Richard Kahui (2), Adrian Thomson, Jimmy Cowan, Stephen Donald, Ali Williams, Jerome Kaino, Isaia Toeava, Piri Weepu and a penalty try
    6 conversions by Daniel Carter
    7 conversions by Stephen Donald
    For Manu Samoa:
    Tries by Uale Mai and Alafoti Faosiliva
    Conversion by Mai
    Conversion by Roger Warren

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wallabies squad to face All Blacks in Brisbane
    1. Benn Robinson
    2. Stephen Moore
    3. Al Baxter
    4. James Horwill
    5. Nathan Sharpe
    6. Rocky Elsom
    7. George Smith
    8. Wycliff Palu
    9. Sam Cordingley
    10. Matt Giteau
    11. Lote Tuqiri
    12. Stirling Mortlock (Captain)
    13. Ryan Cross
    14. Peter Hynes
    15. Adam Ashley-Cooper

16. Adam Freier
    17. Matt Dunning
    18. Hugh McMeniman
    19. Phil Waugh
    20. Richard Brown
    21. Brett Sheehan
    22. Drew Mitchell

All Blacks squad to face Wallabies
    1. Tony Woodcock
    2. Andrew Hore
    3. Greg Somerville
    4. Brad Thorn
    5. Ali Willliams
    6. Jerome Kaino
    8. Rodney So'oialo
    9. Jimmy Cowan
    10. Dan Carter
    11. Sitiveni Sivivatu
    12. Ma'a Nonu
    13. Conrad Smith
    14. Richard Kahui
    15. Mils Muliaina

16. Keven Mealamu
    17. John Afoa/Neemia Tialata
    18. Anthony Boric
    19. Adam Thomson
    20. Piri Weepu
    21. Stephen Donald
    22. Isaia Toeava

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Australia 24 - 28 New Zealand in Brisbane
    For the Wallabies:
    Tries by Adam Ashley-Cooper, James Horwill and Ryan Cross
    3 conversions and a penalty goal by Matt Giteau
    For the All Blacks:
    Tries by Malili Muliaina, Tony Woodcock, Piri Weepu and Daniel Carter
    4 conversions by Carter

Bloody brilliant test match that went right down to the wire. There was nothing between these two teams on the day. Easily the game of the year so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pacific Islanders squad to tour England, France and Italy
    Forwards:
    Census Johnston (Samoa, Saracens) - Prop
    Sunia Koto (Fiji, Suva Highlanders) - Hooker
    Sisa Koyamaibole (Fiji, Padova Petrarca) - No. 8
    Nili Latu (Tonga, NEC) - Flanker
    Kele Leawere (Fiji, Hino Motors) - Lock
    Daniel Leo (Samoa, London Wasps) - Lock/Flanker
    Aleki Lutui (Tonga, Worcestor Warriors) - Hooker
    Finau Maka (Tonga, Toulouse) - No. 8
    Semisi Naevo (Fiji, NEC) - Loose Forward
    Kisi Pulu (Tonga, Perpignan) - Prop
    Ifereimi Rawaqa (Fiji, World Fighting Bulls) - Lock
    George Stowers (Samoa, Kobe Steel) - Loose Forward
    Hale T-Pole (Tonga, Ospreys) - Loose Forward
    Soane Tonga'uiha (Tonga, Northampton Saints) - Prop
    Justin Va'a (Samoa, Glasgow) - Prop
    Viliami Vaki (Tonga, Perpignan) - Flanker

Backs:
    Sililo Martens (Tonga, Sale Sharks) - Scrumhalf
    Seremaia Bai (Fiji, Clermont Auvergne) - Utility Back
    Isireli Bobo (Fiji, Biarritz) - Winger
    Vilimoni Delasau (Fiji, Clermont Auvergne) - Winger
    Pierre Hola (Tonga, Kobe Steelers) - Utility Back
    Seilala Mapusua (Samoa, London Irish) - Centre
    Isireli Naqelevuki (Fiji, Stormers) Wing/Centre
    Seru Rabeni (Fiji, Leicester Tigers) - Wing/Centre
    Kameli Ratuvou (Fiji, Saracens) - Centre
    Mosese Rauluni (Fiji, Saracens, Captain) - Scrumhalf
    Sailosi Tagicakibau (Samoa, London Irish) - Winger
    Gavin Williams (Samoa, Dax) - Centre/Fullback

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    McCaw's agreed to captain the Barbarians at the end of the year against Australia at Wembley.

The team will be coached by Jake White and will also feature John Smit, Bakkies Botha, Schalk Burger, Fourie du Preez, Jean de Villiers, Bryan Habana and Percy Montgomery of the Springboks, Steve Borthwick of England, Carl Hayman, Jerry Collins and Josevata Rokocoko.
    Last edited by Gyoza; September 19th, 2008 at 3:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wallabies Squad for Spring Tour
    Forwards:

Ben Alexander (ACT Brumbies) - Prop
    Alistair Baxter (NSW Waratahs) - Prop
    Richard Brown (Western Force) - No. 8
    Mark Chisholm (ACT Brumbies) - Lock/Flanker
    Matt Dunning (NSW Waratahs) - Prop
    Adam Freier (NSW Waratahs) - Hooker
    James Horwill (Queensland Reds) - Lock
    Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs) - Prop
    Hugh McMeniman (Queensland Reds) - Lock/Flanker
    Dean Mumm (NSW Waratahs) - Lock/Flanker
    Stephen Moore (Queensland Reds) - Hooker
    Wycliff Palu (NSW Waratahs) - No. 8
    David Pocock (Western Force) - Flanker
    Tatafu Polota-Nau (NSW Waratahs) - Hooker
    Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs) - Prop
    Nathan Sharpe (Western Force) - Lock
    George Smith (ACT Brumbies) - Flanker
    Phil Waugh (NSW Waratahs) - Flanker

Backs:
    Adam Ashley-Cooper (ACT Brumbies) - Fullback/Wing
    Berrick Barnes (Queensland Reds) - Inside Centre/Flyhalf
    Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs) - Scrumhalf
    Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds) - Flyhalf
    Sam Cordingley (Queensland Reds) - Scrumhalf
    Ryan Cross (Western Force) - Outside Centre
    Matt Giteau (Western Force) - Utility Back
    Peter Hynes (NSW Waratahs) - Winger
    Digby Ioane (Western Force) - Winger
    Drew Mitchell (Western Force) - Fullback/Wing
    Stirling Mortlock (ACT Brumbies, Captain) - Centre
    James O’Connor (Western Force) - Utility Back
    Brett Sheehan (NSW Waratahs) - Scrumhalf
    Timana Tahu (NSW Waratahs) - Centre
    Lote Tuqiri (NSW Waratahs) - Wing
    Lachie Turner (NSW Waratahs) - Wing/Fullback

New squad members are: David Pocock, Sekope Kepu, Quade Cooper and James O'Connor.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Josh Lewsey knocked out Danny Cipriani in a traning ground brawl:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...ani/article.do

Silly Danny, Lewsey is a fucking built mother fucker, pure muscle.

And remember this classic tackle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3cnss1UMO8

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Autumn International's time.

England vs Pacific Island's. Should be an interesting one, Martin Johnson's first evr game as manager. He's played smart, he is managing but clearly not coaching. His knowledge and intelligence as a player was always immense but his strength is that Johnson has always had faith in letting his leaders take charge and he backs them up and that is what will work for him as manager.

And in his FIRST EVER GAME AS MANAGER: Trail by fire! The PIs won't really be a team but they are physical. Very physical and their best players are all quality players in good leagues, they now have brains, teactics, stamina and technique to go with their physical ability. They won't be a rollover but England should win but the real story is what is England going to be like.

Wales v South Africa. SA trashed Wales last time ut the welsh had injuries and never travel well. Wales now have a fitter team and some young quality players are starting brea through on the domestic front implying a bright future ahead also. A close game and the winner will be the performers on the day and given South Africa's inconsistentcy this year I'll say that will more likely be Wales for the win.

Ireland v Canada. Ireland. Still a top Northern Hemisphere side and it the manager can get the best out of them then they can be an excellent and effective side, especially in cold and rainy conditions. On any day canada should have no chance, but it's nice to see them playing top opposistion in one of the key international periods of the year.

Scotland v New Zealand. Scotland's rugby is on an upswing. Beating the argies in the summer and England in the 6 nations before them has given them conience as welll as a few key players showing world class ability in certain posistions. However they lack a full team of quality and lots of depth. New Zealand will probably trash them I'm afraid, even with a second team. It's not a world cup year and the Kiwi's seem to have their shit back together.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wayne Barnes is reffing, oh if only Gyoza were here.

Should've got something at the end of that first half though, too many mistakes from us.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good win for England there. A few flaws evident in the first half, like being determined to give away points when the PIs kick off and a few moments of lack of clinical finishing but otherwise a good start for Johnson.

D Armitage: 8/10 Excellent start. Good in defence, always available and devestating in attack.

P Sackey: 8/10 Some great runs, great defence, two tries and did amazing to ground the ball for the second when his head was almost ripped off.

J Noon: 4/10. Crap. Poor chasing and non-existent. Can't think of anywhere he was useful. I hope

R Flutey: 7/10. Not really good in the first half but caused all sorts of questions in the 2nd and got increasingly infulential as the game went on.

U Monye: 7.5/10. very dangerous. Well set up try. Like all the back 3 devestating on the attack

D Cipriani: 7.5/10. A bit conservative for him but good running and passing and strong kicking. Not at fault for the PI try because the players should know about the ELV rules. Got better as the game went on.
    D Care: 9/10 Man of the match. Dangerous in every moment. Part of almost every thing good in attack and bloody unlucky with the slippery ball for his try. Performance enough to keep the brilliant Ellis out of the team. Seems to be forming an excellent attacking half back partnership with cipriani and seesm to take brilliant advantage of even the smallest hole in lines.

A Sheridan: 8/10. Some great carries. Powered well in the scrum against a powerful team and always effective in the loose.

L Mears: Immense lineout ball and a well taken try. Really coming strong as England's firts choice hooker.

M Stevens: 7/10. Very good first half but faded a bit later on. Good carries and loose work.

S Borthwick: 7/10. Good all game. Helped power the scrum and no mistakes.

N Kennedy: 8/10. immense stuff. great lineout takes, and well taken try.

T Croft: 8/10 Damgerous all game. Always to the rucks, a pain in lineouts and a option in attack. All good

T Rees: 8.5/10 probably the bets forward. Immense in the tackle, always where the action is and like croft carrying on his rep as one of the best flankers in europe.

N Easter: 8.5/10. Again immense. His brain and clever thinking always helped win balls and stop attacks. Always carries well and always where the action is working hard.

Overall 7/10. The players generally played well but a lot of work needs to be done on set peice plays, defences and mental strength. The good news though is those are all areas which can be improved. A good start for Johnson and one of the better performances England have given this year.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if we'll get a better chance to beat the All Blacks than that, the scoreline doesn't really reflect the play (admittedly that was their second-string squad). However they took their chances and we didn't.

If we had the Canada match first to get our match sharpness, it may have been a different story.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008...ugbyunionteam1

Wales get a too hard worked victory over Canada. I'm a bit disapointed in the RFU who will make 17 Million form the autumn internationals but won't even give Canada 50 out of every tick sold to make £25,000 DESPITE being granted £70,000 from the IRb to help developing Rugby nations like canada. Canada has to also pay for their own transport, hotels, food etc

Greedy WRU. makes me a bit sick in fact.

On todays game. England vs Australia. Aussies pack has improved but can they fundementally deal with the might of Sheridan who has destroyed them twice? I believe Johnson picked vickery to ensure Sheridan's technical weakness' aren't exploited and his strength maximised. Sheridan was always most effective in the scrum with Vickery and Mark Regan at his side who were both outstanding scrumagers. I think palmer has been brought in to pack up the scrum also seeing as Kennedy is a lighter weight lock despite the fact he is much bulked up this season compared to last.

In the backs, talent wise are a match for the Aussies though lack experience. Their pace could be used as a bigger danger than the scrum which I think the aussies will apply every dirty trick in the book to nullify even if it means killing somebody. The back 3 of the backs will be tested in defence often. Cipriani and Care look great as a half back parnership and I think Noon is the only weak link in the side but he can be used effectively sometimes.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ugh soooooooo close.

If only our kicking was better.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could say the same thing. If Danny Cipriani didn't have his first EVER bad kicking game England could have won. Still aussies always take their chances and keep an immense defence. Th eteam showed my enough to think in 1 or 2 years they will be immense.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could someone explain to me (preferably Gyoza or another Kiwi) what was offensive about what Wales did after the Haka? I don't quite get the fuss that was kicked up about it, what the Welsh did was simply for their own mind games. It was an intense moment thought, loved it.

Watching the England v NZ game at the local Walkabout of all places. I have a feeling we havn't seen the worst performance at Twickenham quite yet

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could someone explain to me (preferably Gyoza or another Kiwi) what was offensive about what Wales did after the Haka? I don't quite get the fuss that was kicked up about it, what the Welsh did was simply for their own mind games. It was an intense moment thought, loved it.

Watching the England v NZ game at the local Walkabout of all places. I have a feeling we havn't seen the worst performance at Twickenham quite yet

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by viva_la_raza View Post
    To some Kiwi's anybvody who doesn' bow down and role over in fear for the Haka is disrespecting it. Even Zinzan Brook has said the Welsh respose was immense and that All Blacks who think teams don't have a righ to a response to it are basically pathetic

The Walkabout in Putney was awful. It was packed with South Africans because SW18/19 and arounf is essentially New Cape Town. Still some good banter and a lot of saffers shaking my hand took the bite off it.

And seriously, despite the score England had 68% of posession against South Africa. It was a poor performance but a wastful one. If England can get more points and stop the mistakes in defence they will be tough, tough, tough to beat.

Remember 90% of the England team is under 23 years old. In 2-4 years they will be immense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can somebody tell me if this Australian team is any good?

Apparently if we beat the Welsh we might get clean sweep the tour. I thought we were shit?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oz have shit forwards who have been worked upon. Actually not shit but you used to have a weak scrum. Aussie backs have always been world class as is the aussie defence.

As for England I've said for a year now that the big problem is the fact over 3 managers we still have the same mistakes, weak defensive tactics and good forwards playing poor outdated tactics. Funny enough over those 3 managers we have had the same defence coach and same forwards coach.

If Johnson really wants England to progress then Wells and Ford need to be dropped from the coaching team.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by viva_la_raza View Post
    I want the All Blacks to do this Haka. Old man in g-string an all:

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk2Cwl_flZc[/ame]

is better than torn @ rba
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can somebody tell me if this Australian team is any good?

Apparently if we beat the Welsh we might get clean sweep the tour. I thought we were shit?
    You are, you lost to Wales.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wales are the best team in the Northern hemi-sphere and provided it by being the only team to best a Tri-Nations side and grandslamed the 6 Nations.

is better than torn @ rba
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah but they're Welsh. If someone didn't let them win at rugby what would they honestly have to live for?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coal?

Sheep?

Charlotte and Gav on the front of celebraty magazines?

Katherine Jeinkins rank wobbling when she sings?

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty pleased with the World Cup draw like, avoided all the Tri-Nations.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Argies are tough now when they get their first team together and in a few years they will be even better. I'd prefer Australia who an experiened England team should beat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pool B looks like the hardest to predict.

Fiji to cause cause some worries for Wales anyone?