Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doctor Who

The new actor to play the 9th Doctor Who has been announced as it is The Star of the 'Second Coming' and '28 Days Later' Christopher Eccleston!

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0001172/

Eccleston to Take Control of the Tardis

By Rachel Williams, PA News

Actor Christopher Eccleston is to be the new Doctor Who when the cult sci-fi show returns to our screens next year, it was announced tonight.

Eccleston, star of Flesh and Blood and The Second Coming, will appear as the TV Time Lord in the 13-part BBC1 series to be shown in 2005.

The BBC said the Salford-born 40-year-old would take the famous doctor into the 21st century in a “fresh and modern approach” involving travelling through time and space and fighting monsters on all fronts.

Jane Tranter, BBC Controller of Drama Commissioning, said: “We are delighted to have cast an actor of such calibre in one of British television’s most iconic roles.

“It signals our intention to take Doctor Who into the 21st century, as well as retaining its core traditional values – to be surprising, edgy and eccentric.

“We have chosen one of Britain’s finest actors to play what, in effect, will be an overtly modern hero.”

Executive producer and writer Russell T Davies said: “We considered many great actors for this wonderful part, but Christopher was our first choice.

“This man can give the Doctor a wisdom, wit and emotional range as far-reaching as the Doctor’s travels in time and space.

“His casting raises the bar for all of us. It’s going to be a magnificent, epic, entertaining journey, and I can’t wait to start.”

The series will be filmed in Cardiff later this year.
    The writers signed for the first season of the new Doctor Who series. Joining producer Russell T. Davies, who will pen 8 episodes himself, are:

Mark Gatiss, best known as the writer and co-creator of "The League of Gentlemen" and the author of several Doctor Who stories including the novels "Last of the Gaderene," "St. Anthony's Fire," "The Roundheads" and "Nightshade" and the Big Finish audios "Phantasmagoria" and "Invaders from Mars," and who penned several of the P.R.o.B.e. videos for BBV

Steven Moffat, the creator of BBC2's popular comedy series "Coupling" which won "Sitcom of the Year" at the British Comedy Awards, and whose previous Doctor Who credit was the teleplay for the Comic Relief special "The Curse of Fatal Death" with Rowan Atkinson, Julia Sawalha and Jonathan Pryce

Paul Cornell, the popular writer whose work includes episodes of "Casualty," "Wavelength," "Doctors," "Children's Ward" and "Springhill," and whose Doctor Who works include such novels as "Happy Endings," "Love and War," "The Shadows of Avalon" and both the screenplay for and novelisation of BBCi's "The Scream of the Shalka"

Rob Shearman, an acclaimed playwright and stage writer who has written Big Finish's most popular Doctor Who audio teleplays including "The Holy Terror," "The Chimes of Midnight," "Jubilee," "Scherzo" and "Deadline," and who was awarded Writer of the Year at 2003's Doctor Who Magazine awards in London in November

Producer Mal Young told Ariel, "I've never received so many requests from writers and actors to be involved in a drama series, as I have had for Doctor Who." Added producer Julie Gardner, "Finding writers for the new series of Doctor Who has been one of the best jobs I've ever had. The talent available was exceptional." Davies himself noted that he believes that he has "the best people in the business now working on the best show. They'll be writing stories ranging across the whole of time and space. The Doctor and Rose already have the best allies on their journey - brilliant writers with brilliant scripts. It's an honour to work with these people who are so talented; they shouldn't be allowed to travel together!" Outpost Gallifrey has learned that one of these newly confirmed writers will pen two scripts for Davies; another unnamed participant decided to withdraw at an earlier time (solely due to schedule complications). All are said to be working off of "very basic" ideas - rather than full outlines, as has been reported elsewhere - from Davies, who will generate the major framework of the first series and is leaving the actual details to these experienced TV writers. Filming on the new series begins "in the spring."
    Its now just a matter of sitting back till 2005 and then us Brits will show you Americans how sci-fi is done. Move over Star Trek, sand back Star Wars, take a break Stargate and kiss my ass Battlestar Galactica.

Doctor Who is coming back and will rule all.
    Last edited by Mark Humphries; August 9th, 2004 at 8:48 AM. Reason: Update

Big Gay Fag
    Oh man, I loved this show. I don't recall the names of all the doctors, but I liked William Hartnell, John Pertwee, and Colin Baker the best.

Give me the World Belt, dammit Zarius's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GREATEST....SERIES....EVER!

Finally, a new Doctor, I recently downloaded "The Second Coming", the show is in safe hands with Russel T. Davis

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just thought I would give up an update on the sate of things for those of you who are interested:

Actress Billie Piper will be playing Rose Tyler, the new Doctor Who companion in the forthcoming Doctor Who TV series.

Filming starts sometime this month and will include London locations even though the series is being made at BBC Wales.

There will be a run of 13 episodes 50 minutes each, there will be three two part story’s and seven single episode story’s.

Each episode will have a budget of about £1 million, the biggest amount the BBC has spent on any drama series.

The first episode is rumoured to air on Christmas day, and the rest will follow at a rate of one episode every Saturday.

Episode titles released so far and the people writing them are:
    Episode 1: Rose, Written by Russell T Davies
    Episode 2: The End of the World, Written by Russell T Davies
    Episode 3 Written by Mark Gatiss
    Episode 4: Aliens of London, Part One Written by Russell T Davies
    Episode 5: Aliens of London, Part Two Written by Russell T Davies
    Episode 6 Written by Robert Shearman
    Episode 7 Written by Russell T Davies
    Episode 8 Written by Paul Cornell
    Episode 9 Written by Steven Moffat
    Episode 10 Written by Steven Moffat
    Episode 11 Written by Russell T Davies
    Episode 12: The Parting of the Ways, Part One Written by Russell T Davies
    Episode 13: The Parting of the Ways, Part Two Written by Russell T Davies

Phil Collinson, formerly a producer on "Born and Bred," "Linda Green" and the paranorma drama "Sea of Souls" currently airing on BBC1, is the new producer.

The casting director on the new Doctor Who series is Andy Pryor, whose casting credits include "Long Time Dead," "Beautiful Thing," "Trainspotting TV: The Long Firm," "Cutting It," "Linda Green" and "In a Land of Plenty," among others.

The interview that DWM conducted with producer Russell T Davies quoted him as saying, "I asked JK Rowling if she would like to write an episode for the new series. But she told me she was amused by the suggestion but simply doesn't have the time... I wanted her to write just one episode, but unfortunately she had to turn it down. She told me she was absolutely charmed to have been asked but was so busy at the moment she just couldn't accept. It was slightly disappointing to say the least."

The rights issues between the BBC and the estate of Terry Nation, which owns the Daleks, has been sorted. Doctor Who's most memorable foes are to return to the BBC in a deal worth £250,000, the BBC jointly owns the rights to the Daleks with Nation, who died in 1997, but it still needed permission to feature them in the new show.

According to an interview with producer Phil Collinson in the latest "TV Zone," the production manager on the new series will be Helen Vallis. Among Vallis' credits are as associate producer on "Hearts of Gold," "Care," "Harpur and Iles" and "Streetlife".

According to the Industry Casting Newsletter PCR, the first director for the new series is Keith Boak, who's described as being "the helmer of the first block."

DOCTOR Who is going to face an enemy even worse than the Daleks - in the shape of David Beckham. In the new series, aliens intent on conquering the earth use the waxworks at Madame Tussauds to terrorise the capital. A lifelike dummy of the 29-year-old England captain will lead a horde of modelled celebs in a raid on Downing Street. These could include Brad Pitt, Julia Roberts, Harrison Ford and even Madonna. Becks, the leader of the sinister celebrity army, will blast everything in his path with a ray gun hidden in his left wrist. The waxworks, who appear in an episode called Aliens of London, are under the control of a deadly extra-terrestrial race known as the Autons. They have no physical form but attack humans by manipulating anything made of wax or plastic. A BBC insider revealed: "They plan to replace leaders like Tony Blair and George Bush with lookalikes from Tussauds but it fails so they bring a host of celebrities alive to attack Parliament." The Autons were twice thwarted in the early 70s. This time ninth Doctor Christopher Eccleston will tackle Beckham's replica in one of the first episodes of next year's 13-part series. He will also face updated Daleks.

New series production designer Edward Thomas. "As Production Designer," Thomas tells DWM, "I will be responsible for the overall look and feel of all 13 episodes... I will have lots of help in the form of art directors, illustrators, set designers, CGI and a whole host of other creative people who will assist me in introducing a brand new look, whilst retainging a few of the most unforgettable features." He also talks about what the TARDIS will be like ("Big ... On the inside that is!") and about the interior of the time ship.

Award-winning comics artist Bryan Hitch, the man behind titles such as The Authority and The Ultimates and winner of last year’s SFX Reader Award for Best Comic Book, is the concept artist for the new series. Says Russell T Davies, "This is entirely thanks to SFX. The Head of Drama at the BBC had talked about getting a concept artist right from the start, so we were already beginning to think about it. Then out of the blue Nick Setchfield at SFX got in touch, saying that Bryan Hitch had heard about the new series of Doctor Who and wanted to help. Now, I’m an old comics fan... and I couldn’t believe this was the Bryan Hitch. I’ve got the Ultimates collection, and that beautiful hardback of The Authority. It’s just brilliant... I showed Julie and Phil [producers Julie Gardner and Phil Collinson] the comics, they went mental, we summoned the Hitch, and here we are... Now Bryan can give us concepts and wild ideas to spark us off in new directions. Thank you SFX, it’s really appreciated!” Hitch will be in charge of the signature look of the new series, working alongside production designer Edward Thomas; the two will develop the TARDIS interior, new aliens and technology for the series. Hitch's previous Doctor Who work was a one-issue comic strip in DWM 139 and the cover for Mad Norwegian's "I, Who 2". More details are in the new SFX, due out June 9.

The Sun on May 31 featured an article which says that the metal band Slipknot may be remaking the theme tune... although, it looks like just a quest for publicity for the band. Yet the article says that the "BBC are interested in getting them involved. ... It turns out the nine-strong nu-metal band are obsessed with the time travelling doctor." Says drummer Joey Jordison, "I'm so excited Doctor Who's coming back. It's a great show, wild and exciting. I watched it as a kid and it freaked me out. I'm 29 now and it was only a couple of years ago that I figured out what was going on." The article mentions that "Slipknot are such Doctor Who anoraks they have even dedicated Prelude, a track on new album Volume3 (The Subliminal Verses), to the show." The article was picked up by several syndicates such as World Entertainment News and Ananova.
    Last edited by Mark Humphries; June 9th, 2004 at 3:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy Shit, The Doctor against Beckham?

Definatly looking forward to the new series, Piper has become a very accomplished actress and I'm sure she'll play Rose well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only cool thing about this is that the new Dr Who is a pretty well known and very good actor.

He starred in some programme about a dude who's parents were both mentally handicapped, it was pretty intense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This FUCKING RULES!

Dr. Who is what got me into the whole Sci-Fi genre period.

I hope they show it on BBC America here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SHIT, i would have preferred Richard E. Grant

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's worrying that they felt the need to replace Paul McGann after just one outing as the doctor. I don't know if he wasn't prepared to sign up for the role or not but the doctor is running short on lives now. I'd like them to ignore the fact there's been a change in actor and act as if it's the same regeneration. The character McGann played the doctor with was very likable.

Splendidly Fantastic Brock Landers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanny One Ball

He starred in some programme about a dude who's parents were both mentally handicapped, it was pretty intense.
    Yeah I remember watching that, he was excellent in it. He was also very good in Cracker as Billborough, the copper who is murdered by Robert Carlyle

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here with some updates some good some bad, but first...

The Shape:
    SHIT, i would have preferred Richard E. Grant
    Go here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/shalka/

You need flash and it runs for 90 minutes.

Stigger
    It's worrying that they felt the need to replace Paul McGann after just one outing as the doctor.
    Well this is a new production team and as good as MaGann was the TV movie was a ratings flop in the US only getting 5.0 for a fox movie of the week, not the best thing if your trying to launch a new series. If you need more MaGann then go here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/shada/

You need flash and it runs for 2 hours.

Ok on to the new series news:

As has been widely reported the past several days, the fan favorite the Daleks will not be appearing in the new Doctor Who series, as talks between the BBC and the estate of creator Terry Nation have broken down over issues of editorial control. A BBC spokeswoman told BBC News, "After lengthy negotiations, the BBC and Terry Nation have been unable to reach an agreement on the terms of the use of the Daleks. The BBC offered the very best deal possible but ultimately we were not able to give the level of editorial influence that the Terry Nation estate wished to have." The Nation estate is said to be "bitterly disappointed" while Nation agent Tim Hancock stated that the BBC was trying to "ruin the brand of the Daleks. We wanted the same level of control over the Daleks that we have enjoyed for the last 40 years. If the BBC wanted to re-make any of George Lucas' films, you can bet George Lucas would have something to say about it." Hancock accused the BBC of lying about the reasons a deal had not been made, stating that the BBC had recentrly tried to commission a cartoon series about gay Daleks for BBC Three and that they had allowed Warner Bros. to use the Daleks in the recent big-budget film "Looney Tunes: Back in Action" without consulting the Nation estate. "We want to protect the integrity of the brand," Hancock said, and added that the estate would be willing to make a new deal if the BBC accepted the arrangement that had been in place for the last 40 years. Russell Davies told BBC news that he was disappointed by the decision, but that it would not affect the success of the series. "We are reinventing Doctor Who for a 21st Century audience with a fantastic writing team and exciting new challenges," Davies said. "We are disappointed that the Daleks will not be included but we have a number of new and exciting monsters. And I can confirm we have created a new enemy for the Doctor which will keep viewers on the edge of their seats." Elsewhere, an additional comment from agent Tim Hancock noted the following: "I’m very sorry for Dr Who fans. We accept the Daleks need modernising, and are all for it. All we ask is that they consult us on the designs. But the BBC are not prepared to."

An article in the June 29 Daily Star says that the new Doctor Who series "will feature historic figures including Shakespeare, Henry VIII and Einstein - who are locked up together inside a Big Brother-style house. Famous housemates will face eviction and death from aliens when the classic sci-fi show comes back to our screens next year. The new series, which stars Christopher Eccleston as Dr Who, is aiming to win over a whole new generation of young followers of the Tardis timelord. Christopher said: 'We can parallel things with science fiction and address what's going on around us to a certain extent for young people without being pompous.' In one of the planned episodes of the hotly-awaited series, some of the world's most famous figures from the past are kidnapped from their time zones by aliens. They are put in a Big Bruvstyle house for extraterrestrial television entertainment."

According to the most recent issue of Doctor Who Magazine, the director of the first "block" of the new series is Keith Boak, who has directed for Out of the Blue, Wokenwell, City Central, Sunburn, Harbour Lights, The Knock, Mersey Beat, The Royal and Holby City.

CGI effects house The Mill are involved in the effects for the new Doctor Who series, according to a forthcoming article in issue #120 of "Dreamwatch" Magazine: http://www.mill.co.uk/

Production of the first episode of the new Doctor Who series will begin this Sunday, July 18, or Monday, July 19. Meanwhile, an ITV teletext report today states the following: "Cameras will start to roll on the new Dr Who series on Monday, an insider has confirmed. Filming on the 13-part series takes place in and around Cardiff and production staff have been sworn to secrecy. They have not been allowed to divulge details of plots, characters or even who is writing the music. The first batch of episodes is to be directed by Keith Boak." Whether Sunday or Monday, within the next few days, the next era of Doctor Who will be under way...

NewsWales ran an article yesterday called "Dr Who causes traffic chaos" about the new series starting production. "Cardiff commuters will have to make way for Dr Who next week as the BBC uses the city’s streets for the filming of the new series. Working Street and St John Street will be closed from 6pm on Tuesday July 20 until 5am on Wednesday July 21 to make way for BBC crews and filming – but allowances will be made for pedestrians coming from the St David’s Hall concerts. St Mary Street, High Street and Guildhall Place will also be closed from 11pm on Wednesday July 21 until 5am on Thursday July 22. BBC Wales is producing the television comeback of Dr Who. The new series, written by Swansea-born dramatist Russell T. Davies, will star Christopher Eccleston as Dr Who and Billie Piper as his companion. The 13-episode series is to be shown on the BBC early next year."

Also... the Western Mail newspaper is running a similar article that has roughly the same information, stating " A different time zone wil descend on streets in Cardiff as film crews close roads for the filming of the new Doctor Who series." A number of retailers in the area have been advised that filming will commence this coming week, most of which will take place in the early evenings.

And here are some pictures and a few set reports from filming last night:

From David James:
    Just got back from a day out in Cardiff!

And here's what I learned... After looking at the streets listed as this week's locations on the news page, I popped in to the Cardiff Visitor Centre, in Working Street.

I figured there was no harm in asking whether or not they could confirm that Doctor Who was going to be filmed outside their premises and, sure enough, not only are the crew using the street, they're using the visitor centre itself as a location, together with the pub next door (Toad @ the Exhibition).

The two premises are part of the same building - the old city library - and are being used as a police station. I went into the Toad for lunch (not bad and reasonably priced!) and got chatting to the girls behind the bar. They're getting ready to let the Doctor Who crew use half the pub on Tuesday night from 7pm (the rest will be open to the public) and are quite excited about the prospect.

From there I walked out to the old Cardiff Royal Infirmary, which is a wonderfully ramshackle example of gothic decay - a great location! In the area at the front of the building was a group of about eight or ten extras, dressed as soldiers - camouflage gear, red berets and heavy rifles - together with one man dressed in a smart military uniform, with a cap (from the military police vehicle I spotted later, I would guess they might be 'Redcaps' but I didn't recognise the insignia on the berets, which was sort-of T-shaped metal badge - perhaps a figure with arms outstretched?)

There were various film crew types wandering about and an awful lot of lighting/equipment vans and other lorries. Circling the site, there were lots of temporary 'BBC Wales' signs and I asked one of the chaps what was going on (I'm sure my pretence of 'not being all that interested' didn't fool him for a moment!) and he said: "It's the first day of filming on the new series of Doctor Who."

Back round at the front of the building, some set dressing was going on at the hospital gates - a big 'metal' arch, painted black, with 'ALBION HOSPITAL' in gold letters, which were being dirtied down. From the safety of the other side of the road I watched for a while (I was desperate not to run the slightest risk of getting in the way or annoying anyone and it's a very public place, so what the hey?) then went off to the cinema for a couple of hours.

When the film was over I couldn't resist popping back for another look! By this time (around 4pm) there were a handful of police vehicles (basic markings - stripes and lettering, blank insignia - so not a specific force, apart from one that had 'MILITARY POLICE' on its bonnet. Maybe extra decals will be added later?) and the armoured car. Round the back of the infirmary were four extras, dressed as police wearing tactical gear (black combat stuff).

And that's about it - like I said, not Earth-shattering but it was nice to be there and know for sure that it's really happening! I took a load of pics and will post some when I've had the film developed (unless someone with a digital camera beats me to the punch!)
    Just back from a little wander in the vicinity of the CRI (again) where filming is/was in full swing. Confirming much of what has always reported but here's a bit more...

From Ben Copper:
    I managed to position myself surreptitiously near the main gates to the Hospital (renamed Albion Hospital) where a scene with a reporter was being rehearsed/filmed. I saw the material being played back on DV Playback equipment (thus ending the film/DV argument, I guess) and it consisted of the reporter uttering dialogue indicating that "Nobody is confirming if the body is alive or dead. Whitehall are saying nothing. The body has been brought here to Albion hospital, the nearest hospital to the river. The roads are closed, the hospital has been evacuated." There was some reference to a General Asquith, the body being human or alien and then the roads were closed again as a scene of a Military police car and an ambulance driving through the the gates was recorded. The general area was 'decorated' with London-style bus stops, one of which, I noticed as I walked right past it, was bearing a London street map the familiar red circule-style London underground symbol.

The area was literally packed with people -technicians, production crew etc, presumably Keith Boak directing from the concoruse area inside the gates. There were loads of black-clad police officers brandishing machine guns, the tank had been moved nearer the gates and there were quite a few other vehicles and extras in military uniform. I caught a quick glimpse of the script in the hands of one technician and while I couldn't get close enough to have a good look I could clearly see dialogue and reference to one character speaking - Jackie.
    From Matt Chambers:
    was in Cardiff last night and saw some filming taking place at the CRI. I saw one scene shot in which a reporter was saying something like; "there have been sightings of more ships, what do they want? If anyone has any information please phone this number" Not very exciting I'm afraid but it's a start.
    Thats all for now every one, 2005 here we come.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All photos take at filming location - Cardiff Royal Infirmary.

There's precious little to see, as the site is well enclosed. Some of these
    shots gives a sense of the location, while others do show very
    limited details of crew and equipment. There are a few shots of an armoured
    personnel carrier that was on location on Sunday afternoon 18/04, and a
    couple of very mundane pictures of equipment lorries in situ,

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats all for now.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some on set photos that I will post latter tonight, but heres some press cuttings I have been collecting.

And yes this is the Nth Doctors outfit:

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris and Billie on set London:

Is it Cardiff or London?

Autons are back in town:

Goodness me the Tardis:

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Attack of the Burning Couch!

Back in London:

London At night:

World Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah the daleks are back

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meanwhile at a councel estate in London:

Thats all for now people.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh one more thing, the daleks are back in:

From: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...io/3535588.stm

Doctor Who's arch enemies the Daleks are coming back to the series after a lengthy dispute between the BBC and the creator's estate was finally settled.

The estate of sci-fi writer Terry Nation had originally blocked their return to the classic BBC One show.

But the BBC said an agreement had been reached ensuring that the Daleks - voted the most evil Doctor Who villains of all time - would be back.

Doctor Who returns to TV in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston in the lead role.

"I am absolutely delighted that the Terry Nation estate and the BBC have been able to reach agreement on terms for the use of the Daleks in the new Doctor Who series," said Tim Hancock, agent for the Terry Nation estate.

"We look forward to working closely with the production team in the forthcoming months."

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If any one is still interested here are a few shots plus the first promo poster for the series with the new logo:

http://www.gallifreyone.com/newsgrap...wpromocard.jpg

Some of the new monsters in the new series:

http://www.gallifreyone.com/whophotos/photo1110n.jpg

http://www.gallifreyone.com /newsgraphics/newseriesdalek1.jpg

http://www.gallifreyone.com /newsgraphics/newseriesdalek2.jpg

http://www.freewebs.com/av1214/alien1.jpg

http://www.gallifreyone.com/whophotos/photo1006a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...rwho/alien.jpg

Some random photos from filming:

http://www.gallifreyone.com/whophotos/photo1110g.jpg

http://www.gallifreyone.com/whophotos/photo1110q.jpg

http://www.gallifreyone.com/whophotos/photo1109a.jpg

http://www.gallifreyone.com/whophotos/photo1110p.jpg

http://www.gallifreyone.com/whophotos/photo1110s.jpg

There will be another update tomorrow, with some picture less information.

Copy and past the links into your address bar and they will work.
    Last edited by Mark Humphries; November 18th, 2004 at 2:17 PM.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes the theme music will still be the same.
    Last edited by Mark Humphries; November 18th, 2004 at 2:12 PM.

Alf
    Will it have the kick arse theme tune?

WoooOOOOooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOaoOooooooo

No Xmas For John Quays Sweet Stan's Avatar
    Leaning on a parking meter sipping on a margarita
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It`s going to be the original theme tune but they`re going to modernise it make it surround sound or something.

No Xmas For John Quays Sweet Stan's Avatar
    Leaning on a parking meter sipping on a margarita
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The BBC have just put out a teaser for it , doesn`t give much away though....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/news/drwho...02/15823.shtml

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some pictures from the BBC site:

A few big names have been announced that will appear in the new series:

Simon Callow (Three Weddings, Ace Ventura 2, Shakespeare in Love)
    Zoe Wanamaker (My Family, Harry Potter)
    Simon Pegg (Spaced, Shaun of the Dead, Big Train)
    Richard Wilson (One Foot in the Grave, Duck Patrol)
    Mark Gatiss (League of Gentlemen)
    David Walling (Little Briton, Rock Profile)
    Ricky Gervase [spelling?](The Office)

There will apparently be lots of surprises through out the series.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While there is still no official confirmation from the BBC (and we stress that there's still plenty of time for this to change!), we've received enough information from various sources to safely conclude that the new series will indeed premiere on BBC1 on Saturday, March 26, 2005

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also from the leaked Memo:

TV marketing have confirmed that the series will definitely get outdoor posters. These will go live from either the 5th or 12th March

There will be two different TV teaser trails for the series - one focussing on the Doctor, one on Rose - these will air from 5th March

There will also be radio trails for the series that will begin 1 week before tx and continue until Episode 2

A press launch is taking place on 8th March in Cardiff with plans for Chris Moyles to broadcast his Radio 1 show from the Dr Who set that day

Other radio interviews with Chris and Billie are secured with; Steve Wright, Sara Cox and Jonathan Ross

Christopher Eccleston is also confirmed to do Desert Island Discs

Radio Times will be publishing an 18-page supplement to celebrate the return of the series

Arena will be publishing a photo shoot with Billie

Sunday Times Culture have confirmed a photo shoot with both Billie and Chris

Dr Who website will be going live with 'New Dr' content from 8th March, launching with a 'Space Monopoly' game and following up with a Daleks game to be added later in the run of the series

International sales of the TV series have now been confirmed to; New Zealand, Canada and Australia with the announcement of some European sales expected at Showcase later this month

Licensing have confirmed that they have issued licences for; radio-controlled daleks, talking Dr Who mugs, sonic screwdrivers and Dr Who clocks that will hit the shops this Autumn

The Sci-Fi Channel is rumoured to have bought the series.

With Trek over and dead it looks like BG and Dr Who are set to take its place.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

Frist trailer for CBC showing of the show is online HERE Its 7mb and you can download a leaked copy of the first epsiode in a Bittorent 349.77mb file HERE should take about 4-5 hours to download. Its not the finished episode though, just a ruff edit they used to sell the show to other countries and the main theme music is not the new one, this is HERE it starts off with the old theme before the new one starts.
    Last edited by Mark Humphries; March 11th, 2005 at 5:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sci-Fi U.S.A refused to pick the new series up because it's "too english"

Congratulations to Russel T. Davies for sticking it to the pompus yanks who wanted to get a replacment for Farscape, Doctor Who should never be changed from what it is, bring on the cheap effects and video filmed episodes...they don't matter in the long run, it's the story that counts.

Doctor Who is coming back the way it ended.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dr. Who

Doctor Who is back on Easter Saturday, the first new series in 16 years, and I for one am excited. I love Dr. Who, I think Christopher Ecclestion is a great actor to so should make a good Doctor.

Who was your favourite Doctor?

William Hartnall 1963-1966

The first Doctor, not many of his episodes remain but the ones that do are fantastic.

Patrick Troughton 1966-1969

I am sorry to say I have never seen any of Patricks episodes, the only ones I have seen involving him are the 3 and the 5 doctors in later series.

Jon Pertwee 1970-1974

The budgets where apparently cut for the 3rd doctor, and you can tell from the quality of some of the sets, and the fact that most of the episodes took place on earth. Some exciting and interesting stories, and some great co-stars like Brigader Lethbridge-Stewart make up for that. Jon is probably my 2nd favourite Doctor.

Tom Baker 1974-1981

The most commercially succesfull doctor, with upwards of 20 million viewers at one point. I do like Tom Baker as the doctor, he has those wierd eyes and wild man persona that so befits the charecter.

Peter Davison 1982-1984

I thought Peter Davison made a good doctor, he was the architypical English gentleman, this stage in history though meant he was only given two series to get to grips with the charecter.

Colin Baker 1984-1986

The shortest serving of the doctors (excluding films/one offs) I thought Colin baker was a really bad actor, his attempt to show the doctors madness due to a bad regeneration was just really hammy. A low point for Doctor Who fans.

Sylvester McCoy 1986-1989

My personal favourite Doctor, he also had the best assistant ever (Ace). He was also given back an air of mystery, being linked with the historic figure or Merlin in Battlefield, and the Curse of Fenric is Genuinly scarey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Already got a thread...sort of...for this.

A mod might want to merge this one with that one.

I watched the leaked episode...exactly the way the series was before it was axed, shot on video, cheap effects, but good story.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarius
    Already got a thread...sort of...for this.

A mod might want to merge this one with that one.

I watched the leaked episode...exactly the way the series was before it was axed, shot on video, cheap effects, but good story.
    I did a search but it told me "Dr" and "Who" are too small to search for

Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiganer
    I did a search but it told me "Dr" and "Who" are too small to search for
    Its on the front page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by Alcohol; February 4th, 2016 at 6:02 AM.

Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    And I am too lazy to merge or close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alf
    I'll do it... make me a mod miller.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    That and I would have to remember how.

Anyway give me a sec and I will merge this stuff.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Epsiode one can now be download HERE as the old link is down.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The BBC website has added a count down to air date of the first episode, 7pm Saturday 26th March.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well today is the day at 7pm BBC1 the best longest running Sci-fi TV show in the world returns and after all the publicity but the boot right up Ant & Dec.

Saw a clip montage on ‘Friday Night with Jonathan Ross’ last night and I was just blown away, this series is just going to rule some pic’s bellow.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its Simon Pegg

Richard Willson

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just saw the full version, The Doctor is back, that was by leaps and bounds, FAR superior to any shit I've seen since Galactica's revival.

Star Trek is fucking dead and buried, The Doctor is back, NOW RUN FOR YOUR LIFE

Gabriel Agbonlahor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I liked it.

*RUNS FOR HIS LIFE*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was suprised at that episode. Totally British and superb!

Gabriel Agbonlahor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Thanks for what?"

"Exactly."

Totally love the way they didn't kill the black dude off first, but still made him look silly. That's quality racism that is.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked it too.

Gabriel Agbonlahor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sean, that IS good to know.

It is.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What in the hell was that

It was like it didn't know if it wanted to be updated and serious or homagy and campy. I was cringing for the actors just watching the thing.

But still....the only reason I'm going to watch this is so I can see Pegg's small role

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood
    It was Doctor Who, which has ALWAYS balanced serious with those kind of traits (until they overdid it with Colin Baker and the early Mcoy years)

*user status change*
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliant.. Used to watch it as a child, but don't remember a great deal apart from that I used to love it.

I was quite impressed with todays.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bring on the daleks!

Intercontinental Champion Curly Toe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First episode of Dr Who I have ever watched.

Thought it was quite good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd already watched it a few weeks ago, via the good old internet, but watched it tonight with a group of friends who not seen it and they all loved it. I thought it was slightly rushed, story wise, can't help thinking that back in the day that they'd have done it over 3 or 4 episodes, but who am i to argue. Still good to have the Doctor back and Billie Piper has done a fine job as Rose. Keep up the good work!

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    News in WHO gets 10.6 million viewers, Ant and Dec gets about 7.1 million.

Weather 10.6 million come back the next week remains to be seen, the fact WHO just beat the so-called unbeatable Ant and Dec is a cause for celebration.

And the statement from ITV man says 'Its unfair to compare the two' me thinks they are trying to make excuses… forgive me for being smug people.

It was like it didn't know if it wanted to be updated and serious or homagy and campy. I was cringing for the actors just watching the thing.

But still....the only reason I'm going to watch this is so I can see Pegg's small role
    I will admit it was not perfect, but it’s the first episode it needs to find its feet there was a lot of stuff to get across. Next weeks is going to be very ‘Hitchhikers’ and the week after is more of a ghost horror set in 1883 written by ‘League of Gentlemen’s’ Mark Gaitss.

And Peggs in episode 7 called ‘The Long Game’ and he’s the main villain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The BBC have confirmed that Christopher Eccleston has quit as Doctor Who over fears of being typecast.

I quite liked him although I read that some others didn't.

Here's a link as it's quite a long article.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...io/4395849.stm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck you Eccelston.

FUCK...YOU.

I'm glad the series is pretty much secure for a second season, but CHRIST...the Tenth Doctor, he's only got about three lives left now, and all because some dolt is afraid of being type-cast.

Do you think Tom Baker gave a shit about being type-cast? He stayed loyal for seven years, thanks for spitting on everybody who worked thier asses off bringing the greatest series ever back on screen

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a twat, next time get some one who will commit to a series.

This is going to hurt the series, the hardcore fans will still watch but the rest will probably think what’s the point in watching a program where the lead actor will bugger off in 12 weeks.

And why make the announcement after one fucking episode.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So he gives them time to find a new one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never watched Doctor Who before Saturday.

How does the new Doctor appear when they change?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by STE
    I never watched Doctor Who before Saturday.

How does the new Doctor appear when they change?
    They regenerate, The Doctor is a time lord, Time Lords have thirteen lives, and twleve regenerations, thier bodies change when there at the point of death, it changes thier apperance, and thier personalities, but it saves thier lives.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Russ: "So Chris, have you decided which one of my projects you want to work on?"

Chris: "Yeah. I wanna be Doctor Who."

R: "But Chris, I thought you said Doctor Who was a kid's show?"

C: "Yeah, I know. I wanna be Doctor Who."

R: "Didn't you say you would never do it because the press intrusion would turn your life into a pale shadow of the rich and full existence you currently enjoy as an actor?"

C: "Yeah I know, I wanna be Doctor Who."

R: "Chris, just yesterday you told me you thought whoever took the role would be horribly typecast and you felt sorry for whatever two bit variety act that took it."

C: "Yeah I know."

R: "Ok, just sign here and you can be Doctor Who."

*Chris signs without looking and Russ walks off to start the production*

C: " I don't wanna do it."

Being inspired by Samurai Pizza Cats, apparently
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tee-hee.

Gabriel Agbonlahor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HEHE.

That blue thing is the greatest.

"Who killed him?"

Gabriel Agbonlahor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "ARREST HER!

INFIDEL!"

GREATNESS.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what happend to the time lords ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tonight's was a bit of a strange episode, alot darker than the old series, people dying, burning to death especially.

The whole bit about him being the last of the time lords is interesting stuff, but I can't help but think that all the other time lords do exist, just in the past, and therefore can he not go back in time and bring them forward to help populate Galifrey today?

World Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Galifrey is gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Galifrey is gone.

WHY THE HELL DID THEY KILL CASSANDRA? The Last Human could have made a new, original, and hilarious adversary.

Bring back the bitchy trampoline

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So are the novels meant to be integrated with the story we see on tv, I always thought they were just an aside. Anything else noteworthy happen in the novels which we haven't seen?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigger
    So are the novels meant to be integrated with the story we see on tv, I always thought they were just an aside. Anything else noteworthy happen in the novels which we haven't seen?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The episode last night was alot better then the first one.

I wonder what the ratings were compared to the first night. I expect them to go down slightly but not alot.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.C
    The episode last night was alot better then the first one.

I wonder what the ratings were compared to the first night. I expect them to go down slightly but not alot.
    Doctor Who got 7.8 million 37% share

Ant and Dec got 6.1 million 31% share

I think both shows were affected by the fact it was still a very nice day out side when they were on and a lot of people probably taped one or the other.

With a technician strike next week for ITV it may boost the ratings up even more, as Ant and Dec may not be on. Here’s hoping it’s a rainy day

Here's a link to Clive's(RIP) website from episode 1 by the way.
    Last edited by Mark Humphries; April 3rd, 2005 at 11:22 AM.

You're rather attractive aenima's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched it this afternoon. It was only meh.

Although Jonnifer is right, the wee blue bloke was absolutely fantastic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aenima
    Watched it this afternoon. It was only meh.

You officially suck.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Billie Piper.

Alf
    I thought it rocked. I really fancy Billie... she has a bit of puppy fat. Yum!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit spotty, but i'd pay at least £37.85 to fuck her.

Alf
    Do i hear £40?

Gabriel Agbonlahor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wee blue bloke should come back and scream things like,

"I WILL KEEEEEEL YOU!"

and

"May I have a touch?"

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raw Is Jonathan
    The wee blue bloke should come back and scream things like,

"I WILL KEEEEEEL YOU!"

and

"May I have a touch?"
    Its a bit sad that all the best charcters in that epsiode died though is'ent it, and I would give that tree girl Jade one:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They could come back, if he had to go to the time before they died for some reason, but then wouldn't they have known who he was in the last episode as they would have met him in the past.

Maybe he can't.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to ifilim and they have a 2 minute series trailer that inlcudes Simon Pegg.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great episode as usual...looks like the war with Faction Paradox is pretty much legit in continunity now, as it spreads across time as well as space (the Elemental world was destroyed in the war, much like The Nestene world was)

Rose seems to be talking to a great deal of females from various eras, and she actually could'nt grasp the possibility of dying before she was born.

The line about cardiff...pricless

One major annoying trait: Charles Dicken spends most of the episode dismissing most of what he's seen, and then saves the day...almost immediatly after running out of the celler into the city...talk about rushed endings, it's times like this I miss the multi-part storylines

...Which by the way begin next week with a two-part episode.
    Last edited by Zarius; April 9th, 2005 at 3:19 PM.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great episode as usual...looks like the war with Faction Paradox is pretty much legit in continunity now, as it spreads across time as well as space (the Elemental world was destryoed in the war, much like The Nestene world was)

Rose seems to be talking to a great deal of females from various eras, and she actually could'nt grasp the possibility of dying before she was born.

The line about cardiff...pricless
    First off, the avatar.

Also could someone explaing whta the faction paradox is?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoyed it, forgot it was on until Dec mentioned Dr Who and then i turned over.

Better then the last one which is a good pattern if the can keep it up. Again i will be interested to see the ratings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, the avatar.

Also could someone explaing whta the faction paradox is?
    They were at war with the Time Lords in the novels, and caused sufficent damage to various periods of history (The Third Doctor officially no longer regenerates on Metribilis III etc), in order to stop them, The Doctor destroyed Gallifrey.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t think FP will be involved in the new series; it’s a bit silly to continue a story line from a book series that over 8 million of the people-watching wont have read, including me.

I recon it’s the new big enemy, probably this ‘Bad Wolf’ reference that keeps popping up in the show.

Oh and the ratings for this week:

Dr Who: 8.4 million
    Ant and Dec: 7.1 million

We kicked ass for the third week in a role.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This show has the worst scripting and acting ever.

The storylines would be ok if there was any logic involved at all, or if The Dr didn't just guess everything in the opening 3 seconds even though he has no shred of proof.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And after 3 epsiodes why are you still watching?

What ever… its successful, entertaining and the best TV show around at the moment. Trek, Buffy, Angle and X-files are all dead now and Who is once again on top and it does not matter how much you bitch Blood nothing is going to stop this so get used to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to agree with Blood in a way, yes it doesn't have the greates scripts and there acting can be a bit off. But then it must be pretty hard to write and act out reactions to the things they see.

I thought after the 1st one it should be on CBBC but i am startling to like them more and more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by J.C
    You have to agree with Blood in a way, yes it doesn't have the greates scripts.
    Bullshit.

"The Unquiet Dead" was written by Mark Gatis, one of the people behind The Leauge of Genetlmen, one of the most intensely disturbing, strange, and entertaining shows we've had in years, the episodes so far outside of "Rose" (which itself is excellent if you ignore the comedic aspects) have surpassed a great deal of shows seen recently on American telivision, as Doctor Who often does.

Would it actually bother any of you to EXPLAIN why you hate the episodes and why they are allegedy "bad" rather than post "Blah blah it sucks" to get attention?

I don't agree with Blood, I don't agree with you. If you honestly think this is childish, when you watch a sport with half naked men wrestling each other with crappy tales of U.S belts being destroyed in thrash cans substituting for "angles", what the hell do you know?
    Last edited by Zarius; April 10th, 2005 at 5:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do i know? I watch it so i can have a opinion.

Of course it is childish, it is a fantasy, there is no way it can be true, it is made up stories about Magic, Monsters etc. I didn't say i thought it was crap, i like it for what it is. The audience it is going for is the whole family so it can't be as dark and gory as other shows and it is doing good for what it is doing.

After the first one i wasn't that impressed but as i have said in previous posts i like it more and more each episode.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Humphries
    And after 3 epsiodes why are you still watching?

What ever… its successful, entertaining and the best TV show around at the moment. Trek, Buffy, Angle and X-files are all dead now and Who is once again on top and it does not matter how much you bitch Blood nothing is going to stop this so get used to it.
    I watched the first episode and it made me cringe, I skipped the second and only watched the third as it was written by one of the guys behind the League of Gentlemen and included some sort of living dead. You can't say a programme's good because....it's the only thing on tv nowadays after all the other good programmes have ended.

Idiot.
    Mature

Quote Originally Posted by zarius
    Bullshit.

"The Unquiet Dead" was written by Mark Gatis, one of the people behind The Leauge of Genetlmen, one of the most intensely disturbing, strange, and entertaining shows we've had in years, the episodes so far outside of "Rose" (which itself is excellent if you ignore the comedic aspects) have surpassed a great deal of shows seen recently on American telivision, as Doctor Who often does.
    And I was surprised how badly it was written! The ideas behind all these episodes are great, fantastic even, some of them show real imagination on behalf of the writers. It's just that the dialogue is shockingly bad. If it was written and acted seriously it'd be a great sci-fi/dramatic programme, but as it is it's just great ideas wasted on a programme that feels like it's written especialy for the kiddies.

I don't agree with Blood, I don't agree with you. If you honestly think this is childish, when you watch a sport with half naked men wrestling each other with crappy tales of U.S belts being destroyed in thrash cans substituting for "angles", what the hell do you know?
    I havn't watched wrestling since Iwas old enough to enjoy it, perhaps the same age I should be in order to enjoy Dr Who.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watchedit's the only thing on tv nowadays after all the other good programmes have ended.
    Well I will own up and say I have only watched the X-files as I consider sci-fi to be dull and repetitive medium but I consider the new series the best thing on TV at the moment.

If it was written and acted seriously it'd be a great sci-fi/dramatic programme, but as it is it's just great ideas wasted on a programme that feels like it's written especialy for the kiddies.
    But it is for the kiddies; it’s a family show like it always was, well apart from the 80's when the show was aimed at geeks. The best thing about Dr Who is that there is something for every one.

If you are looking for 100% hardcore serious sci-fi then Dr Who is not for you because it was never that to begin with, even back in 1963 it was played with a smile.

I havn't watched wrestling since Iwas old enough to enjoy it, perhaps the same age I should be in order to enjoy Dr Who.
    You just need an imagination, sense of humour and an open mind to watch Dr Who and that’s all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Humphries
    But it is for the kiddies; it’s a family show like it always was, well apart from the 80's when the show was aimed at geeks.
    Actually, the J.N.T years did more damage to Docotr Who's "all family reputation" considerably, the stories stopped started being REALLY written for children...and not even ten year olds at that, the amount of shit poor Colin Baker received...at least they were trying to imprive it during the Sylvestor Mcoy years (he only had one abysmal season), and you know things are bleak when you can only think of eight good Davision stories.

Sci-Fi is'nt "dull and reptetitive" Doctor Who is part of the same direction that Star Trek takes, it's a family show, but it works in SPITE of the family.

I agree with you though, that if someone is'nt objective enough to know what Doctor Who is and look past it's target audience to see it's intentions...they honestly don't know what there talking about.