User Tag List

Page 133 of 137 FirstFirst ... 123129130131132133134135136137 LastLast
Results 13,201 to 13,300 of 13656

Thread: Hip Hop Discussion/Album Review Thread.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    That hit me out of nowhere. I used to listen to the Combat Jack Show religiously. Not so much lately since he split with Premium Pete but I follow him on Twitter so I'm not sure how I missed his cancer diagnosis. And then boom, he's gone. RIP.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never listened to it religiously but I would listen when it was a good guest. Probably listened to 20 or 25 of them in total. Great podcast. And it was a very early and innovative podcast, I believe.

Sad loss.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only knew the guy by name, the vid RA shared of LL Cool J calling this man on his deathbed was emotional.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Recommend the interviews with Damon Dash, Pusha T, Chuck D, all the ones with Bun B and Freddie Gibbs, AZ, Big KRIT, Kevin Gates which is quite unsettling, Marc Lamont Hill, lots of them tbh. The heyday was like 2012-2014 when they had the whole crew in the studio. Great podcast, learnt a lot from it, and Reggie had a good interview style that usually made the rappers he interviewed feel at home.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't stop listening to this track. Gift is obviously an OG, RA is someone who I wasn't really super into until 6-7 years ago when I got a copy of Eastern Conference All-Stars Vol. 2 and he has a sick track on there. AFRO is super young, dope, just needs to fine tune his craft and he'll be a beast. Especially with RA as the man guiding you. RA is like the street preacher keeping hip hop alive at all costs. It's a shame he never really was able to truly thrive off the music. The fact he's only had 2 albums in his entire solo career is wild.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got my Action Bronson tickets for the Hartford show in January. Can't wait.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    nvmd
    Last edited by percussion13; December 27th, 2017 at 1:44 PM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by percussion13 View Post
    nvmd
    @percussion13 I'm a little shocked to see you posting in here and would have been curious to see what you were posting in regards to my post about Gift, RA, and A-F-R-O

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I was going to comment on that track and their style but while it wasn't anything overly negative, with compliments in fact, I know they're kinda your thing and I didn't want to start another 12 or so rounds in this subforum.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by percussion13 View Post
    I was going to comment on that track and their style but while it wasn't anything overly negative, with compliments in fact, I know they're kinda your thing and I didn't want to start another 12 or so rounds in this subforum.
    Eh, I haven't really ever listened to Gift or Afro. RA I'm a fan but I don't think he's the end all be all.

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Albums of the year for me

Kendrick - Damn
    J.i.d - the never story
    Goldlink - at what cost
    Vince staples - big fish theory

Also big shout out to the lil b album which is actually really really well put together. Freddie gibbs and Vic mensa get a shout out too.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also earthgang are the absolute shit. Love them.
    @Matthew get yourself on j.i.d and goldlink and earthgang mate.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anything in particular? i'm a full album man @son_of_foley

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At what cost by goldlink.
    The never story by j.i.d
    Robots ep by earthgang although they have a solid back catalogue
    For Vince staples shit there's a lot I think summertime 06 is my fave though

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ty i will see what i can find on this side of border

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spotify mate or YouTube xx

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's very early you should go to bed soon. 4:20 is meant to be the afternoon not the morning.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i work crazy hours okay.

yea, i can find them on those platforms, and i guess i will do. i usually just buy some suggestions, and if they aren't my cup of tea, many people are down to trade.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've listened to run the jewels right?

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very much so

those albums came with stickers, too. that gives any album rating a boost.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mate got the meow the jewels vinyl at Christmas. It's niiice

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea i have everything from them except a 10" that was put out like 2 years ago.

very quality stuff

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also not 100% rap but God sza is kinda amazing

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why does Mystikal always be fucking up? Dude is one of my all time favorites but he just can't stop raping people:

https://pagesix.com/2017/12/19/mysti...nd-kidnapping/

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is 2 weeks old and it went super viral but I would be remiss if we didn't post it in here. Black Thought is a legend. I really think he's top 10 of all time.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    That didn't sound very improv..

Am I mistaken?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, it sounds like a written. Still dope.

Banned
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yo ND, peep this. RA is such a cool dude. I've seen him rap in front of 30 people and I've seen him at sold out shows and he puts it down regardless. Dude is down 4 life too.

Simon
    Finally getting around to listening to the Eminem album. God it's so fucking mediocre.

I'm only about two-thirds of the way through it so I'm not writing it off entirely just yet, but so far the only decent tracks are the poppy tracks with cameos. Walk On Water, River and Like Home...all of them taken individually would be welcome additions as lead singles to a hip-hop album, a compromise to keep the suits happy and a nice break from the darker, deeper stuff...but when there are this many, and there are no good 'real' hip-hop tracks (again, so far - I'm hopeful there might be a couple buried late on in the album) it just leaves me feeling not so much angry that it's shit, but a little sad that essentially Eminem is no longer trying to make a proper hip-hop album.

Obviously he has no obligation to, there are endless musicians who have switched styles over the years to varying degrees of success. But for someone who is so steeped in hip-hop culture, who professes to owe so much to hip-hop, and who clearly still has so much anger about the treatment of black society, it's disappointing to see him happy to whack out this sort of cookie cutter, throwaway crap. Angry verse, pop hook, sad verse, pop hook, uplifting verse, pop hook, lunch. Fuck off. He's capable of so much better.

This is a guy who overshadowed Jay Z on a Jay Z album, overshadowed Dre on a Dre album...now he's getting overshadowed by fairly standard pop hooks by fucking Alicia Keys and Ed Sheeran.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Finally getting around to listening to the Eminem album. God it's so fucking mediocre.

I'm only about two-thirds of the way through it so I'm not writing it off entirely just yet, but so far the only decent tracks are the poppy tracks with cameos. Walk On Water, River and Like Home...all of them taken individually would be welcome additions as lead singles to a hip-hop album, a compromise to keep the suits happy and a nice break from the darker, deeper stuff...but when there are this many, and there are no good 'real' hip-hop tracks (again, so far - I'm hopeful there might be a couple buried late on in the album) it just leaves me feeling not so much angry that it's shit, but a little sad that essentially Eminem is no longer trying to make a proper hip-hop album.

Obviously he has no obligation to, there are endless musicians who have switched styles over the years to varying degrees of success. But for someone who is so steeped in hip-hop culture, who professes to owe so much to hip-hop, and who clearly still has so much anger about the treatment of black society, it's disappointing to see him happy to whack out this sort of cookie cutter, throwaway crap. Angry verse, pop hook, sad verse, pop hook, uplifting verse, pop hook, lunch. Fuck off. He's capable of so much better.

This is a guy who overshadowed Jay Z on a Jay Z album, overshadowed Dre on a Dre album...now he's getting overshadowed by fairly standard pop hooks by fucking Alicia Keys and Ed Sheeran.
    last 2 songs are the best, as well as Framed.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVDA View Post
    Yo ND, peep this. RA is such a cool dude. I've seen him rap in front of 30 people and I've seen him at sold out shows and he puts it down regardless. Dude is down 4 life too.

Yo I was just watching this and it's cool as hell that he had a change of heart. I mean, he's not wrong, there are a lot of closed-minded idiot fans of ICP, no different than any other fanboy would be, but that's a small %. It's mostly a lot of newer or just idiotic cats who don't listen to anything that doesn't have the Hatchet on it or a song that was a collab. Trust me, if Redman and Method Man had done a collab with Twiztid or ICP nobody would be throwing shit at them.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's because when he was outshining Jay Z he wasn't worried about how many mainstream fans can he get to buy his shit like he has been for almost 15 years. When he's not giving a fuck about that, he kills it, like on collabs and compilations. His solo shit as I've said has just been extremely lackluster and I feel that's mainly due to me not being into the pop radio catering he tries to do. He's still one of the best even when he's trying to speak on behalf of the black man lol.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hip hop has come so far

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    yea i have everything from them except a 10" that was put out like 2 years ago.

very quality stuff
    Did you listen to any if them?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post

hip hop has come so far
    I was cool with that Lyp Synch shit LL and the oh so fine Mrs. Legend host....Weird freestyle disses like this.....Good concept but zero shelf life. This is like celebrity boxing.

Banned
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    LOL there should be a law against women rapping.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL there should be a law against women rapping.
    A lot of dope female rappers though, mostly back in the late 80's early 90's for me. Queen Latifah, MC Lyte, Monie Love, Lady of Rage, Missy Elliott, Lauryn Hill, Boss, Rah Digga, Gangsta Boo, Remy Ma Lil' Kim, Foxy Brown. Probably in my top 5 of earliest influences would be Salt N Pepa. Not that What A Man shit I'm talking the PUSH IT era. Gangsta Boo was one of my favorites from the South without question. I was in love with her.

Underground wise I'm not really into but most of the underground female rappers I know are "horror" types. Whitney Peyton (not really horror but almost exclusively works with horror rappers), Molly Gruesome, Smallz One, Razakael, Ill E Gal....Peyton's probably the best of them. Then you have Jean Grae, she's a killer. Probably the best female emcee on the underground ever.

Banned
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I don't mind Gangsta Boo. I'd never listen to just her though. Whitney Peyton sounds good on wax, but she sounded different when I seen her with RA, Potluck, and Black Pegasus. I can't say what it was. Everybody sounds better in the studio though. I dig the song she did with DJ Clay on A World Upside Down.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    A lot of dope female rappers though, mostly back in the late 80's early 90's for me. Queen Latifah, MC Lyte, Monie Love, Lady of Rage, Missy Elliott, Lauryn Hill, Boss, Rah Digga, Gangsta Boo, Remy Ma Lil' Kim, Foxy Brown. Probably in my top 5 of earliest influences would be Salt N Pepa. Not that What A Man shit I'm talking the PUSH IT era. Gangsta Boo was one of my favorites from the South without question. I was in love with her.

Underground wise I'm not really into but most of the underground female rappers I know are "horror" types. Whitney Peyton (not really horror but almost exclusively works with horror rappers), Molly Gruesome, Smallz One, Razakael, Ill E Gal....Peyton's probably the best of them. Then you have Jean Grae, she's a killer. Probably the best female emcee on the underground ever.
    Before I finished reading this I was gonna mention Jean Grae. First heard her on Immortal Technique's Revolutionary Vol. 1. Lady Bug Mecca from Digable Planets was always dope as shit. Empress Stahhr who's been on a few DOOM records. Other than her and Jean Grae, I can't really think of any modern femcees I like.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will say this....Being in the game so long the 1 thing I would constantly hear is "They all sound the same" And I can see that argument because every single female rapper I worked with sounded like 270 other female rappers I had heard. Every white girl rapper I personally think sounds the exact same. I used to work with this girl Akarya, she was from Kansas City but thought she was black and she STILL sounded like every other white girl.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho666Soldier View Post
    Before I finished reading this I was gonna mention Jean Grae. First heard her on Immortal Technique's Revolutionary Vol. 1. Lady Bug Mecca from Digable Planets was always dope as shit. Empress Stahhr who's been on a few DOOM records. Other than her and Jean Grae, I can't really think of any modern femcees I like.
    Even playing off my recent comment about female emcees sounding the same, I still find quite a few to be very good they're just all underground. I hear this shit on the mainstream stations and I'm like, this is why nobody takes rap serious in general anymore. I mean now it's not even good enough to LOOK like you a stripper, they're actually finding strippers to do records with this mumble mouth horseshit. Cardi B, the chick had to be co-signed throughout an entire BET Awards just like that fool Drake when he first popped up after he magically could walk again....Cuz they know that shit will ruin the game but the labels are all into. Dumb it down to where they don't have to work very hard to take your money.

I thought Lady SOV was going to be something, until I bought her record and realized she had one good track "Orange" and she was a bitch anyway.

Banned
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I know there are like 3 people here that know who he is..... Cali horrorcore rapper Mars has been stabbed and is in critical condition. He is expected to survive though.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgive me if this has already been discussed but I thought it was cool.

Apparently in 2014 50 Cent accepted bitcoin from people wanting to buy his newest album. He raked in about $400K in bitcoin...and then promptly forgot he had done it. I guess declaring bankruptcy will do that to you. Flash forward to 2018 when bitcoin is worth 17 times what it was four years ago and 50's bitcoin account is worth around $7-8 million.

And that's on top of the $60 million he earned last summer selling his stake in a vodka company.

Simon
    Missed the conversation about female rappers. Lauryn Hill is the best for me and the only one who can be discussed among the greats regardless of gender. Jean Grae is a boss as well so shout out anyone who mentioned her.

A couple of others I didn't see mentioned that you might not have heard of but are fucking awesome.

Gavlyn - What I Do

Invincible - Locusts
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ixL3-AdOsU

Also, I'm not for a second saying that Angie Martinez is a particularly great rapper (though she is better than you might expect), but her name value in the business meant she had some nice beats and could pull in plenty of high-profile cameos. Her album Up Close and Personal is really fucking good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWCZto4Gccw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFNCeyiEPcA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_15I3ET3aUU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Siap_dkt1WA

Looking back again the track list for Up Close and Personal is incredible. Features from Prodigy, Wyclef, Snoop, Busta, Terror Squad, Jadakiss, Styles P, Beanie Sigel, Kool G Rap, Jay-Z and Q-Tip. Production from the Neptunes, Salaam Remi and Rockwilder among others. Well worth a listen if you've never heard it or assumed it would be shit.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Missed the conversation about female rappers. Lauryn Hill is the best for me and the only one who can be discussed among the greats regardless of gender. Jean Grae is a boss as well so shout out anyone who mentioned her.

A couple of others I didn't see mentioned that you might not have heard of but are fucking awesome.

Gavlyn - What I Do

Invincible - Locusts
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ixL3-AdOsU

Also, I'm not for a second saying that Angie Martinez is a particularly great rapper (though she is better than you might expect), but her name value in the business meant she had some nice beats and could pull in plenty of high-profile cameos. Her album Up Close and Personal is really fucking good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWCZto4Gccw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFNCeyiEPcA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_15I3ET3aUU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Siap_dkt1WA

Looking back again the track list for Up Close and Personal is incredible. Features from Prodigy, Wyclef, Snoop, Busta, Terror Squad, Jadakiss, Styles P, Beanie Sigel, Kool G Rap, Jay-Z and Q-Tip. Production from the Neptunes, Salaam Remi and Rockwilder among others. Well worth a listen if you've never heard it or assumed it would be shit.
    That's a bold statement. I always thought she was good but I wouldn't say she's among the greats. We're talking god level rappers like Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Jay Z, Nas, Method Man, Eminem, the list I could make probably wouldn't see a female until the #70 range if that. But that's just me. I think she's nice on the mic for sure but I don't think she has a catalog or skill level to be in the conversation of the all time greats. The Fugees as a group I would put up there in terms of groups because I really liked them as a group, on their own....Nah

Simon
    I'm not saying she is top 5 or anything but she would definitely make top 20 for me. She was by far the most important element of The Fugees and The Score is a classic album for sure, and Miseducation is very good too (I also like the acoustic album although I know I'm on my own there). I think skill-wise she is definitely up there with the best, she's a master. I'd certainly have her ahead of Method Man who, like Hill, was an important part of a great collective but, unlike Hill, never released a great t album IMO.

I wouldn't push too hard for her to be included in a list of greats and I probably overrated her slightly because The Score was so influential in my becoming a hip-hop fan (think it was the first respected rap album I ever bought, bought after loving Ready Or Not). But i completely stand by the idea that she can be talked about among the greats - not that elite tier of four or five legends, but sitting comfortably among the ones a level down from that.

Banned
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yo, ND, looks like Cage is on the ICP/Attila tour. That gives you a reason to hit up a clown show.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd certainly have her ahead of Method Man who, like Hill, was an important part of a great collective but, unlike Hill, never released a great t album IMO.
    I can maybe see an argument for Tical, but Judgment Day was fucking dope.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not saying she is top 5 or anything but she would definitely make top 20 for me. She was by far the most important element of The Fugees and The Score is a classic album for sure, and Miseducation is very good too (I also like the acoustic album although I know I'm on my own there). I think skill-wise she is definitely up there with the best, she's a master. I'd certainly have her ahead of Method Man who, like Hill, was an important part of a great collective but, unlike Hill, never released a great t album IMO.

I wouldn't push too hard for her to be included in a list of greats and I probably overrated her slightly because The Score was so influential in my becoming a hip-hop fan (think it was the first respected rap album I ever bought, bought after loving Ready Or Not). But i completely stand by the idea that she can be talked about among the greats - not that elite tier of four or five legends, but sitting comfortably among the ones a level down from that.
    This will definitely just come down to personal preference because imo, Method Man would smoke Hill all the back to Sister Act on the mic. I would even put any album Method has been on, solo or group, just 1 of them, against everything in Hill's catalog. Wu Tang, the Redman albums, his solo work, bar for bar, beat for beat, Method Man destroys Hill. But again, personal preference because I once heard Lord Jamar tell DJ Vlad that Snoop Dogg was better than Eminem and he even paused when asked if MIGOS were better than Eminem. And that's Lord Jamar. Mr. 5% himself, questioning whether people like Migos of all fucking people are better than the level of an Eminem lol.

Yo, ND, looks like Cage is on the ICP/Attila tour. That gives you a reason to hit up a clown show.
    Yeah I saw that but everywhere they're playing I think is at least a 4 hour drive. Guess we'll wait and see haha.

I do find it funny that Cage and RA the Rugged Man have/are doing tours with ICP when 10+ years ago those 2 weren't dissing them per se, but definitely weren't giving them any props.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Opinions on Brockhampton.

I am absolutely loving what they are doing. Lyrics a good, hooks are even better and the beats feel fresh.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    @Simon you will love that link.

Simon
    Ooh nice one I'll give that a listen. The original song that is sampled in Tearz is incredible. It sounds almost like it was specifically designed to later be sampled.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kendrick's Black Panther album is excellent

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kendrick's Black Panther album is excellent

Kendrick and The Weeknd need to do a whole album together.

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind Gangsta Boo. I'd never listen to just her though. Whitney Peyton sounds good on wax, but she sounded different when I seen her with RA, Potluck, and Black Pegasus. I can't say what it was. Everybody sounds better in the studio though. I dig the song she did with DJ Clay on A World Upside Down.

was curious about her so i clicked on the video. first line of the song she mentions lombard street. got me wondering so i go look and she's from philadelphia. the suburbs, apparently. which makes sense, cause lombard street is not twisted at all, in layout or even metaphorically. that completely made me check out thirty seconds in.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
    was curious about her so i clicked on the video. first line of the song she mentions lombard street. got me wondering so i go look and she's from philadelphia. the suburbs, apparently. which makes sense, cause lombard street is not twisted at all, in layout or even metaphorically. that completely made me check out thirty seconds in.
    Her live show, 100 times better than just a couple years back, has a solid live band. I'll be honest I never really looked into where she was from I just assumed she was from Ohio because she's done a lot of shows in that Ohio/Michigan area. Which makes sense considering it's not exactly a 20 hour drive to those areas.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by UncannyIowan View Post
    Everlast is still a good rapper, he definitely wouldn't be working with ILL Bill, Bill don't give a fuck about your name and Everlast isn't exactly carrying much weight in the mainstream. TBH, ILL Bill rapping with him probably gives Everlast more cred than if he had tried to make a House of Pain comeback. Plus man, you're talking about having an issue with them sampling some Jay-Z shit when Jay-Z's done the exact same, even taking Biggy Smalls own raps and putting them as his own. Sorry, "paying homage" lol. Either way man I hope you keep bumpin this shit, it's pretty dope just to hear the old and new school flavor mixing on some harder shit.
    Everlast is great. I have two or three of his albums that I constantly play.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Everlast is great. I have two or three of his albums that I constantly play.
    Did you seriously search for Everlast and it dug up on my old ass posts under my UncannyIowan username? Memories.

Simon
    A couple of things I've been listening to:

August Greene - Black Kennedy

Seemingly this is a new project Common is working on, but as far as anyone would know it's just a new Common song. Nice, summery vibes to it. Common is the man.

Dizzy Wright - Accept My Flaws Pt. 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yNGM61nRRk

That Colorblind sample is massively played out, but I think it works beautifully on this. Deep lyrics and a solid hook....this isn't new, but I first heard it the other day and it's stuck in my head. Great stuff.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember Dizzy Wright had a shit ton of buzz but just never translated into anything big. Spin magazine had a serious hard on for DW

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Did you seriously search for Everlast and it dug up on my old ass posts under my UncannyIowan username? Memories.
    Actually, I was under members list and saw UncannyIowan and clicked latest posts and that was the latest one, but it was also pretty weird since I was playing What It's Like at the same time as reading the post. He's got a new album out this year, but I read it's not a hip hop album.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Actually, I was under members list and saw UncannyIowan and clicked latest posts and that was the latest one, but it was also pretty weird since I was playing What It's Like at the same time as reading the post. He's got a new album out this year, but I read it's not a hip hop album.
    I just wish his voice could hold up live. I saw him perform on SNL and it was terrible. Music was on point but the vocals suck.

Banned
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I wish he didn't leave LCN. Donald, you should check out "A Brand You Can Trust" if you haven't yet. This song was everywhere when it dropped.

Simon
    That beat rips off Jay-Z/M.O.P. massively.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That beat rips off Jay-Z/M.O.P. massively.
    That sound is a staple of the East coast but I definitely know the track you're thinking of. But I mean I literally can't think of a single rapper from EC that doesn't have a song or several that sound like this.

Simon
    Yeah it took me a while to remember which one, because it sounds pretty similar to Big Pun's "New York Giants" too.

This is the original.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I hear this style of beat I immediately think of Jay-Z's song off Blueprint, "U Don't Know". Just Blaze had a pretty noticeable sound. Shit I even have a song where we sampled a Sam Cooke joint and it sounds like this shit lol.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just remembered we also did a song where we sampled "Jolene" by Dolly fucking Parton. I didn't even know that shit until we went to drop the album and my counterpart/producer cut all the songs we had sampled. That also meant we lost our song where we sampled Billy Idol's "Eyes Without A Face". My guy had some wild shit he would sample. One minute he's pulling shit from Earth, Wind, and Fire and the next minute it's Dolly Parton lol.

Simon
    When I hear this style of beat I immediately think of Jay-Z's song off Blueprint, "U Don't Know". Just Blaze had a pretty noticeable sound. Shit I even have a song where we sampled a Sam Cooke joint and it sounds like this shit lol.
    U Don't Know is the one I was talking about before, it's the exact same beat more or less. It's easily done to be fair (though less understandable when you're sampling a very famous song made by Jay-Z ffs), I spent ages on a sweet, melodic beat when I first started that I was really proud of, finally put it up expecting some good feedback and within two minutes of uploading it I had a comment saying "you bit Skinnyman"...and he was right, I fucking did.

https://soundcloud.com/sobmusic-1/no-sleep-til-bedtime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVpmPIIoPzs

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U Don't Know is the one I was talking about before, it's the exact same beat more or less. It's easily done to be fair (though less understandable when you're sampling a very famous song made by Jay-Z ffs), I spent ages on a sweet, melodic beat when I first started that I was really proud of, finally put it up expecting some good feedback and within two minutes of uploading it I had a comment saying "you bit Skinnyman"...and he was right, I fucking did.

https://soundcloud.com/sobmusic-1/no-sleep-til-bedtime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVpmPIIoPzs
    I wouldn't consider "U Don't Know" a very famous song or even a famous song by Jay-Z. Plus we're talking Jay-Z. How many lines has that dude stolen from Biggie? (go up to that UI post Donald quoted and I basically said the same thing years ago lol). And it's hip hop, there are just certain sounds that you constantly hear and go "Oh shit that sounds like that Ghostface beat". A lot of these producers sample the same songs over and over and over, big names rap on them over and over and over.

Never heard of Skinnyman until now. Pretty dope.

Simon
    I just remembered we also did a song where we sampled "Jolene" by Dolly fucking Parton. I didn't even know that shit until we went to drop the album and my counterpart/producer cut all the songs we had sampled. That also meant we lost our song where we sampled Billy Idol's "Eyes Without A Face". My guy had some wild shit he would sample. One minute he's pulling shit from Earth, Wind, and Fire and the next minute it's Dolly Parton lol.
    If you're good enough, you can pretty much sample anything and make it work. I'm still at a basic level where for the most part I can only sample soul and some jazz on my boom bap stuff, and soundtrack instrumentals for the heavier beats...the real masters can create stuff where you really would have no idea what the original sample is, or where it came from. Mobb Deep's beats are a masterclass in manipulating samples to create something completely unique - mostly fairly standard piano loops which have been pitched down and chopped to create really dirty, threatening beats.

This is a good example of a beat that comes from an unexpected source (Eva Cassidy's 'Fields of Gold') but works perfectly. It's also one of the best hip-hop tracks you've (probably) never heard of. Astonishingly good.

Simon
    I wouldn't consider "U Don't Know" a very famous song or even a famous song by Jay-Z. Plus we're talking Jay-Z. How many lines has that dude stolen from Biggie? (go up to that UI post Donald quoted and I basically said the same thing years ago lol). And it's hip hop, there are just certain sounds that you constantly hear and go "Oh shit that sounds like that Ghostface beat". A lot of these producers sample the same songs over and over and over, big names rap on them over and over and over.
    Yeah I'm not saying you shouldn't copy Jay-Z or anything, I'm just saying I would expect a hip-hop producer to be aware of the original and steer clear of doing something so similar. I mean I heard it and instantly knew it was identical to U Don't Know, I would expect anyone who considered them a big hip-hop head to know that song, it's hardly underground.

TBH it might well be that the producer knew it had been done before and didn't care, and that's fair enough - it's less forgiveable when nothing new has been done with it though, there are loads of examples of the same sample being used in completely different ways. WhoSampled is a godsend in that respect - any time I'm using a sample that is reasonably well-known (the dream is finding something to sample on Youtube with views under five figures, then you know you're likely to be covering new ground) I check there first - it's a pretty exhaustive list of samples used over years, and I've had to kick plenty of ideas into the grass when I realised they'd been done before.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure how familiar you are with the legend Esham, if you listen to any of his records from 89-96ish he has a lot of crazy sampled stuff that sometimes you can pick it out others you're like hold up, what the hell, he just sampled Alice In Chains?? I would say peep KKKill the Fetus or Closed Casket albums.

Q-Tip, another dude who used a lot of Jazz samples before it was a thing.

Me personally, with my music, I tried to stay away from sampling not even for legal reasons just personal preference. I have so much shit in my brain that I always tried to work with people who had the same approach. But there are some beats that I have destroyed that had just a little sample off GZA's Liquid Sowrds, the track "Labels", and you'd never even know it. Wish I still had that joint.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'm not saying you shouldn't copy Jay-Z or anything, I'm just saying I would expect a hip-hop producer to be aware of the original and steer clear of doing something so similar. I mean I heard it and instantly knew it was identical to U Don't Know, I would expect anyone who considered them a big hip-hop head to know that song, it's hardly underground.

TBH it might well be that the producer knew it had been done before and didn't care, and that's fair enough - it's less forgiveable when nothing new has been done with it though, there are loads of examples of the same sample being used in completely different ways. WhoSampled is a godsend in that respect - any time I'm using a sample that is reasonably well-known (the dream is finding something to sample on Youtube with views under five figures, then you know you're likely to be covering new ground) I check there first - it's a pretty exhaustive list of samples used over years, and I've had to kick plenty of ideas into the grass when I realised they'd been done before.
    Right right, I hear ya. I'm just saying, that particular sound is something that was around before Jay-Z and well after. It's like, how many times have we heard a rapper kick a flow to the same drum pattern as "Rapper's Delight"? That "bom bom bom, bom bom bom ba domp".

But for heads like us, who loved Blueprint, yeah we're hearing that U DONT KNOW sound on a lot of tracks.

Simon
    I only knew Esham as one of the white rappers that Eminem used to vaguely diss (or send love to, I forget) in the early days like Cage etc.

I will always prefer sampled stuff as I love the aesthetic and prefer that 'real' sound, but even if I was more into creating completely unique beats I find the synthetic sounds so tinny and electronic that I just can't enjoy them at all. The odd time that I move away from boom bap I find them a little easier to work with, modern beats are more suited to that electronic sound, but for the most part I only use synths to add a little bit of depth to my beats. For example, I've been making beats for about four years now, and I still don't have a single bass instrument that I like - most of my beats either have quite shitty bass sections with crap instruments, or have bass added by just lazily adding a partynextdoor filter to the original sample to emphasise it's bass notes.

Simon
    Right right, I hear ya. I'm just saying, that particular sound is something that was around before Jay-Z and well after. It's like, how many times have we heard a rapper kick a flow to the same drum pattern as "Rapper's Delight"? That "bom bom bom, bom bom bom ba domp".

But for heads like us, who loved Blueprint, yeah we're hearing that U DONT KNOW sound on a lot of tracks.
    I think as you said it's partly because Just Blaze's beats all have a very similar style, so a beat could sound played out for sounding similar to that style even if it was actually using a fresh sample. Weirdly I don't think that Kanye's early soul-sampling stuff or Premo's boom bap have that problem - they're immediately recognisable as Kanye/Premo beats, without all sounding the same.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only knew Esham as one of the white rappers that Eminem used to vaguely diss (or send love to, I forget) in the early days like Cage etc.

I will always prefer sampled stuff as I love the aesthetic and prefer that 'real' sound, but even if I was more into creating completely unique beats I find the synthetic sounds so tinny and electronic that I just can't enjoy them at all. The odd time that I move away from boom bap I find them a little easier to work with, modern beats are more suited to that electronic sound, but for the most part I only use synths to add a little bit of depth to my beats. For example, I've been making beats for about four years now, and I still don't have a single bass instrument that I like - most of my beats either have quite shitty bass sections with crap instruments, or have bass added by just lazily adding a partynextdoor filter to the original sample to emphasise it's bass notes.

Esham is black and it was the other way around. Eminem has mad love for Esham, one of his idols, shouted him out with the "I'm a cross between Manson Esham and Ozzy" and for some reason Esham being the bitter dude he was about people "jacking" his acid rap style made about 20 diss tracks on Em on the album "Tongues" lol. Then on the Warped Tour, Esham and I think his dude TNT got into a brawl with members of D12. I think Esham got his eyeball knocked out lol. E is a weird dude.

To the 2nd part....You just need to get mugs who can play instruments or learn yourself. The guy that produced 90% of my music was a self-taught musician. He started out as a DJ and over time due to making beats he learned how to play piano, guitar, and drums so we would normally have at the very least some live drums and guitar on tracks. Not like rock-rap bullshit but like OUTKAST ATLIENS type sounds.

Banned
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    LOL Esham is black.

Simon
    Missed this at the time, I know fuck all about Esham and just lumped him in with Cage etc.

This is fire, minus the singing.

Banned
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    They put Cage right in the middle of the show last night and the crowd was digging him. You could see that he was having fun. It seems like him and ICP have became friends from the way they were big upping each other. Lyte and Ouija Macc did a Lil Rydas set, then some band from NY called Sylar went on. Attila went on after Cage. ICP did about an hour set. It's always cool when they do Prom Queen. They ended the show with Bang! Pow! Boom! and it was after 1 in the morning before it was over. I can't go to the DCG Con, but I think I'm going to the GotJ this year. It's been way too long since I've gathered.
    Last edited by DVDA; March 7th, 2018 at 10:45 PM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They put Cage right in the middle of the show last night and the crowd was digging him. You could see that he was having fun. It seems like him and ICP have became friends from the way they were big upping each other. Lyte and Ouija Macc did a Lil Rydas set, then some band from NY called Sylar went on. Attila went on after Cage. ICP did about an hour set. It's always cool when they do Prom Queen. They ended the show with Bang! Pow! Boom! and it was after 1 in the morning before it was over. I can't go to the DCG Con, but I think I'm going to the GotJ this year. It's been way too long since I've gathered.
    I find it cool that 2 long time ICP haters in RA the Rugged Man and Cage are now tight. Cage even said last year at the Gathering that he had been waiting his whole life to perform there.....

They did Prom Queen? That is right up there in my top 10 of favorite ICP tracks. I had a rock band side project while I was rapping and I tried like 10 times to get them to cover that song. We even had a keyboardist so we could have done some of the synth sounds.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    21 years ago today we lost Biggie. Crazy that we can find a motherfucking hiding out in the caves of Afghanistan or the floorboards of a desert hut but we can't find the motherfuckers who killed Big and Pac?

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of Biggie, Craig Mack announced dead at 46.

I never really listened to his stuff much. I think I might have put on Project: Funk Da World like once. But he had a cool voice, and if nothing else, was a part of one of the most historic songs in hip-hop. I also really like the original. His lines are better than what he ends up delivering on the remix.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So apparently he died of a heart attack. 46. Wow. Reading up on his life post-rap, it appears he joined a cult in South Carolina called Overcomer Ministry

Banned
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The new Kingspade is on point.

I'm so happy to see these dudes back together again. Not just Kingspade, but KMK. I hope that Dirtball will still be part of the group. I'd love for Saint Dog to rejoin the group too.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Royce and Premier just dropped PRhyme 2. I didn't even know this was coming out but apparently there have been singles. need to cop.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Listening to royalty by earthgang and Bobby tarantino 2 a lot this week. Would recommend

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't fuck with Migos but this is pretty great

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't fuck with Migos but this is pretty great
    The video concept is dope, and the beat is good. Most of the lyrics are still trash, though.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only just came across this just now. It's like Em got pissed that people didn't like his album, so he gave us this as his "fuck you" to everyone.

Simon

Lil Dicky is the fucking man. This is Lonely Island-levels of funny.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lil Dicky is the fucking man. This is Lonely Island-levels of funny.
    Alright, that's pretty good. Never heard of him before. Clearly been living under a rock.

Simon
    Ah man he is so good, a rare example of a comedy act that is good enough musically to warrant repeat listens. This is his best one IMO.

Also check out Molly if you want to hear him doing a 'straight' song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZkVqLjGM_I

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is a jam

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kanye. cudi. I'm erect.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    J.Cole new album is nice
    New Doom one is pretty excellent too

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a music nazi but I do respect that at 36 I'm not exactly the target demographic so keep that in mind when I make this statement. But has there ever in the history of hip hop been a more stale stretch of music than say the last 10-15 years? Obviously I'm talking mainstream as my underground roots keep me planted in a nice spot but holy shit....I mean I get that I grew up with MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice, Tag-Team, but we also had legit hip hop in the mix.

Now it seems like the only players that are actually rappers are from the 90's and everything else well....I mean when the catch me outside chick is getting nominated for an award and Cardi B is breaking records....There's definitely something wrong with how this genre is being presented imo. Because again, at least when Vanilla Ice was selling trillions, you could still turn on Yo! MTV Raps and get good shit in the mainstream like Public Enemy.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a music nazi but I do respect that at 36 I'm not exactly the target demographic so keep that in mind when I make this statement. But has there ever in the history of hip hop been a more stale stretch of music than say the last 10-15 years? Obviously I'm talking mainstream as my underground roots keep me planted in a nice spot but holy shit....I mean I get that I grew up with MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice, Tag-Team, but we also had legit hip hop in the mix.

Now it seems like the only players that are actually rappers are from the 90's and everything else well....I mean when the catch me outside chick is getting nominated for an award and Cardi B is breaking records....There's definitely something wrong with how this genre is being presented imo. Because again, at least when Vanilla Ice was selling trillions, you could still turn on Yo! MTV Raps and get good shit in the mainstream like Public Enemy.
    I agree, the amount of mainstream hip hop that interests me now is far far lower than the amount I used to listen to. I don't love where the genre has gone as a whole. There are still good artists at the top - I personally think Drake puts out consistently very good music in his own unique style. Kendrick is a young legend. J Cole is very solid. Kanye, whenever he drops stuff, is still killing it. But these positive examples don't change what I said before... there used to be a plethora of great artists in mainstream hip hop, now there are only a few. I used to get excited by, say, 15 to 20 albums a year and now it's more like 5.

I think the Cardi B album is pretty good though.

Banned
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The cash me ouside girl gets a bit of credit from me because she helped me find out about Roy Purdy.