User Tag List

Page 1 of 137 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Hip Hop Discussion/Album Review Thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hip Hop Discussion/Album Review Thread.

The reason I'm making this thread is that in the original Album Review thread, It is pretty hard to find a Rap Review without going through a couple of pages, or simply getting blindsided by all the Rock/Pop Reviews. So mods close this if you wish. But it's worth a try. Plus it would be easier for new Rap fans to see whats hot and what's not without havingto make a new thread asking.

Anyways Review Rap Albums in this thread. It would be great if there was more than one Review to a CD Thus showing different opinions.

Heres Mine:Snoop Dogg: Paid Tha Cost To Be The Bo$$

Well Let me start off by saying that it is said that Snoop Dogg went and spent some good money on some of the Best Producers Out there such as The Neptunes, Dre, etc.

With that said lets go off into the first track, Don Doggy this is just basicilly a 40 something second intro introducing him self as the "Don Doggy". The second track isn't nothing special either entitled "Tha Boss Would Like To See You" Which is basicilly tooo minutes of Snoop calling out names and saying "The boss would like to see you" Pointless and a waste of space. The Third Track entitled "Stoplight" Samples the old school funk beat of "Flashlight" with a slight hip hop twist sounds to 70ish.Don't Like. Track 4 is a Neptunes Produced track entitled from "Tha Chuuuch to Tha Palace" Which is Snoop's Current Single. Not Snoop Quality at all. Track 5 "I Believe in You" is actually a good slow type song featuring Latoiya Williams. I like it much more than the previous Tracks Good Beat. Track 6 "Lollipop" Old Shaft like beat featuring Jay Z and Nate Dogg. Pretty tight except the beat to the most part. Track 7 "Ballin" Featuring the Dramatics (If you don't know. The Dramatics did the "Doggy Dogg World" on the Doggystyle CD.) Pretty tight song with a slow 70's type feel mixed with rap if your in to that kind of shit which I am. Track 8,9,10,11,12 are all tight. I wasn't feeling 12 that much. 13,14,15, 17. Wasn't feeling 16,18,and 20. 19 is an Outro. and 20 is a disss to ThaRow/Suge Knight.

With 20 tracks and most being tight if you're into that 70's funk Superfly type shit, which I am. I was feeling most of this CD. Some of it was useless filler. But the tracks make up for it. It has some pretty good Production. As you know Snoops lyrics aren't the greatest but he delivers his normal shit on this one. This CD is a pretty new concept Old to Snoop on some tracks. But a new Concept for a whole CD.

For any Snoop Dogg fans go buy this shit now. Any casual fans may not be feelin it much but Long Time Snoop fans will def feel it. Some new fans may like it too it all depends on taste.

Total Score 7.5/10 Pretty Good.
    Last edited by Simon; November 20th, 2003 at 4:28 AM.

Simon
    Beautiful, I Believe In You and Batman & Robin are the stand-out tracks, but I actually liked every song on the album (not including the skits, which I still hate in almost every case...why waste 3/4 minutes on 4 skits per album when you could get another song on?), with the exception of The Church To The Palace, because Snoop is totally off form with his lyrics, and, while I love what the Neptunes do, the beat is very samey to some of their older stuff. They can do better than that...like Beautiful for example, that's got a nice beat.

I'd give the album 7/10.

Simon
    Originally posted by Idioteque

The Beastie Boys
    Licence to Ill

i still maintain that this is one of the greatest debut albums of ALL time. License to Ill is a hip-hop milestone. It invented the genre of rap-rock, fuck Run DMC. And it's my default cd. Whenever I can't decide what to listen to, this goes in.

[list=1][*]Rhymin and Stealin

Because mutiny on the bounty's what we're all about.... the bass drum beat is deep... and the guitar that comes in with the lyrics... kid rock is still pissing himself wishing he could make something that good everytime he hears it...
    [*]The New Style

what up mike d? aw yeauh, that's me... back before anyone knew that the beastie boys were musical gods and technical innovators, they thought of them as rude hooligan east coast boys... here, they are both...

sidenote - shitty boy band LFO stole a line from THIS song for that "abercrombie and fitch" song
    [*]She's Crafty

once again, with the incredibly sampled guitar riffs... fred durst should be locked in a room and made to listen to this song over and over again... then shot.

but as for the rest of the song... anyone who's ever had to deal with a chick he stuck around just b/c the pussy was good should love this song...
    [*]Posse in Effect

another raunchy gem. the beastie boys like to get rowdy, drink beer, sleep with women, and spin records. they are the original hip-hop superheros.
    [*]Slow Ride

trumpets... nuff said. they were sampling shit other people would never dream of touching. They were truly ahead of their time in rap music, and they were ahead of their time rapping about white castle.
    [*]Girls

everyone knows this xylophone riff... it's one of the oddest catchy songs i've ever heard... up there with "blister in the sun" by the violent femmes...

girls... to do the dishes
    girls... to clean up my room..
    girls... to do the laundry...
    girls... and in the bathroom...
    [*]Fight for Your Right

who doesn't know this song?

i rest rest my case.

the video was incredible too.
    [*]No Sleep till Brooklyn

NO! *guitar riff*

SLEEP! *guitar riff*

TILL BROOKLYN! *guitar riff*
    [*]Paul Revere

here's a little story i got to tell about 3 bad brothers ya know so well....

another classic. the beat is incredible. innovative hip hop
    [*]Hold it Now, Hit it

Listening to samples like this, you wonder how anyone couldn't have forseen their eventual mastering of the art...
    [*]Brass Monkey
    ...that funky monkey

incredible samples... incredible beat... increbidle song.
    [*]Slow and Low

More of the same great things. samples, instrumentation, beat.

note - i'm listening to the album as i do this... it's taking for f'ing ever...
    [*]Time to get Ill

they sample the theme song from mr. ed, for god's sake.

[/list=1]

Simon
    Originally posted by spanish announce table
    Noreaga - God's Favorite (brief review)

1. hit me slime - pointless

2. god's favorite - see track 1

3. Nothin - i like the beat, weak lyrics, but a definite summer jam

4. grimey -

5. mr CEO - pretty good and the lyrics are alright

6. nahmeanuheard - what the fuck? this is garbage. why was this even on the album?

7. full mode - another nice neptunes beat. better than "nothing"

8. live my life - ja rule. average beat and garbage lyrics

9. love your mom - awww, a dedication to his mom. cheesy cyndi lauper sample

10. head bussa - the beat is alright, but the song is meh

11. wanna be like him - alright. nothing to complain about

12. black clouds - average

13. banned from another club - nice beat from SPK, and the songs alright

14. now i pray - standout so far. good beat

15. consider this - i like this song, its catchy

16. nahmeanuheard remix - MUCH better than the original

17. holla back slime - see tracks 1 +2

18 - life of a gangsta - best track...and mores not even on it

Simon
    Originally posted by Brennino
    The best double album ever produced in rap. All Eyez On Me by the late, great Tupac Shakur.

Book One:

1. AMBITIONZ AZ A RIDAH.
    Haunting piano starts this song with a great chorus. Sets the tone of the album with lyrics-"I won't deny it, I'm a straight Ridah, you don't wanna fuck with me"...this album is all about Tupac tarnishing the thug side to him, and this is a great opening track to showcase this album.

2. ALL BOUT U.
    This is a great party track. The type of beat that you can just sit and chill too, with Nate Dogg holding down the chorus. Has been sampled and revamped under the "new" Deathrow. Bouncing beat and a great song to have playing when cruising in a car.

3. SKANDALOUZ.
    Another great song to sit and chill too. Again, Nate Dogg represents with the chorus in this song. Although rap music is often criticised for not being able to change subjects i.e. rapping about bitches and riches, but Tupac finds a balance in this album.

4. GOT MY MIND MADE UP.
    Special apperance made by Method Man and Redman on this track. After two fairly upbeat tracks with an easy listening beat, this song comes a lot more raw. Method has his critics, but I am a fan of his style and he blends in well with this song.

5. HOW DO U WANT IT.
    A Tupac classic. Unbelieveable party song, and the video ain't half bad either. K-CI and Jo-Jo hold down the chorus for this song, where Tupac raps about his ladies and what not, but in the last verse taking shots at the media, Delorace Tucker, Bill Clinton and Bob Dole. A great song, in which Tupac is in full flow. Brilliance.

6. 2 OF AMERIKAZ MOST WANTED.
    How Do U Want It is a hard enough track to follow, but this track surpasses it, in my opinion. This track has fellow Deathrow rapper Snoop Doggie Dogg featured on the track, and what a track it is. This track, the chorus, the beat, the lyrics...everything about it sums up what Deathrow was all about, as far as I am concerned.
    "They wonder how I live with 5 shots,
    Niggas is hard to kill, on my block."

7. NO MORE PAIN.
    Well it gets repeditive saying this, but there is not one weak track on this album. No More Pain slows the album down once again, in which Tupac's lyrics really keep you in amongst this track.

8. HEARTZ OF MEN.
    Although this is a good song, I personally thought it didn't really belong on Tupac's Greatest Hits Album. I would have rather have seen several other tracks placed on the Greatest Hits album before this e.g. Krazy or Me And My Girlfriend. But in saying this, Heartz Of Men is still a good, solid track that lifts the tempo of the album back up. Again, an ideal song to play in the car.

9. LIFE GOES ON.
    Perfection. If there was one song I had to pick from this album, this is the one. Tupac is one of the only rappers I know, who could rap on so many levels and this song personifies why he was the greatest rapper ever to grace the game, in my opinion. This song is a dedication to one of Tupac's homeboys who fell victim to a gang killing (Cato). The lyrics in this song are some of my favourite produced in rap.

10. ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE ME.
    From track numer 9 through to 11, the songs are all insights into the mind of Tupac. This song is more about the media, by the time this album had dropped, Tupac had already served time, been shot 5 times and signed a deal with the most notorious label around...anyone who was anyone was judging him, and this track addresses these people.

11. TRADIN WAR STORIES.
    Again, another personal favourite of mine. The Outlawz make an apperance on this song, as Tupac raps about his tales of Thug Life and what he has learned from the teachings of Makaveli.

12. CALIFORNIA LOVE (RMX).
    Basically, just a track filler, will talk about the actual song when it comes up later on in the album. This track is just basically an extended version of the original.

13. I AIN'T MAD AT CHA.
    This is another great song...well worthy of it's spot on the Greatest Hits Album. Danny Boy does the chorus for this one and the video for this track has been used by alive theorists to back up their "findings". The piano at the start gives a great introduction and again Tupac flows like only he can.

14. WHATZ YA PHONE #.
    A short enough track, ends Book 1 on another party type song. A phone conversation at the end of it, means there is only two verses in this track, but even still, a good enough song to end the album on. "Does a bear shit in the woods, and wipe it's ass with a fluffy white rabbit?"

BOOK 2.

1. CAN'T C ME.
    This is the best possible start ever for the second disk. The beat is a slowed down version of Snoop Doggie Dogg's "What's My Name?" The team of Pac's lyrics and Dre's production is showcased in this song, and what a terrific blend it is, it's only a shame that the pair didn't see eye to eye to produce more songs like Can't C Me. Like Tupac says, he can make a "mutha fucka shake, rattle and roll." A great opening track that any rap fan could listen to on countless occassions.

2. SHORTY WANNA BE A THUG.
    Slow enough beat to come into after the first track on this CD. This song is about a middle class boy from the hood, getting caught up with some of the older G's and striving to make his mark as a thug. I enjoy listening to this song, but like I said, there ain't a bad song on this album.

3. HOLLA AT ME.
    Another great song, with another great beat. Never really thought about it, but I think it's about Biggie and the "set-up" outside the New York recording studio in 1995. Again, this song highlights the thug element side to the Deathrow label that would eventually make Dr Dre jump ship. The chorus sums it all up really..."you better beware where you lay, we better not find where you stay."

4. WONDER WHY THEY CALL U _ _ _ _ _.
    I laugh my ass off everytime that I hear this song, just because it would be the ultimate stroking to whomever it was written about. It was rumoured that Faith Evans did the chorus in this song, but it doesn't sound like it really. A good track highlighting the tale of a woman trying to get out of the ghetto by latching on to a rich man.

5. WHEN WE RIDE.
    A song, where the Outlawz feature once again. This is a war cry song, where Pac and the Outlawz rap about riding on their enemies. Another very good song, with a gritty beat.

6. THUG PASSION.
    This is yet another great party song, you play this at a house party and you will get things rocking off. The Outlawz once again back Tupac up and once again they do a great job of doing so. This album introduces the Outlawz as Tupac's new running crew, and they show that they can hang with Tupac. Along with Tradin War Stories, this is one of my personal favourite Tupac/Outlaw collaborations.

7. PICTURE ME ROLLIN'.
    Another track worthy of it's spot on the Greatest Hits Album. From my point of view, this song helps the memory of Pac live on. It is one of the ultimate chill out tracks. This is another song that I could listen to all day long, and still not get tired off it. The last line sums the whole song up for me..."anytime y'all wanna see me again, rewind this track right here, close your eyes, and picture me rollin". A great line for all Pac fans.

8. CHECK OUT TIME.
    "We gotta go, we gotta go, we gotta go"...to the record store and buy this album if you don't already have it. Really upbeat track, where Pac rides with the Outlaws once again. This song is about Pac jet setting around America and whatnot. A great summer track to have playing on the basketball court, the front porch, wherever.

9. RATHA BE YA _ _ _ _ _.
    This is a double team, Tupac with Warren G. Granted, no one works better than Warren G and Nate Dogg, but this team comes pretty close in this song. I am a great fan of Warren G, and Tupac...obviously. So I am always gonna like this song. Another song for the women here. Both Deathrowers flow well in this song, to a head bobbin beat.

10. ALL EYEZ ON ME.
    The single that the album is named after. Big Syke lays down a verse in the song. Probally the most under-rated song on the album, but that's an easy thing to happen with songs such as Life Goes On, All Bout U and Cali Love on the same album. This song sums up what is going on in Pac's mind...the whole paranoia and the fact that all eyes where indeed on him, and to this day all eyes are still on Tupac. This is why I love listening to this song, no matter what happens, so many will always look towards Pac to see what he will do next...even years after his death.

11. RUN THA STREETZ.
    Probably the song that I would listen to the least on the album, but that doesn't mean that the song is a bad one...far from it. Another upbeat track that is easy to chill too. But for some reason, the woman who does the chorus does my brain in...but still a good track.

12. AIN'T HARD 2 FIND.
    In my view, kinda similar to the previous song, in that I never seem to listen to it as much as I would listen to the others. Outlawz feature once again. But this is still a great track. The beat gets me in the mood for a night out...this song is about Tupac calling out his enemies. If you want a piece of him, he ain't hard to find. This is why this album is so great, he has songs for the ladies, songs for the homies, songs for his enemies and songs for the mainstream music community.

13. HEAVEN AIN'T HARD 2 FIND.
    Fantastic. So many songs to chill to, and this is up there near the top, probably only getting beaten by Picture Me Rollin'. Danny Boy deals with the chorus again and he does his normal good job. Tupac flows amazing in this song and once again shows that he has more than the average rapper, and that he is capable of rapping on different levels and get away with it.

14. CALIFORNIA LOVE (Short Radio Edit).
    To the mainstream music community, this is probably the most recognisable song off the album, maybe why some metal/punk/pop/indie etc etc even knew that Tupac existed. From my own point of view, I prefer To Live And Die In LA, but that's probably because I have heard so much of Cali Love. But there is no doubt about it, if you are going to end an album, do it in style and Cali Love ozzes perfection from every beat. Dre and Tupac team up for perhaps one of the greatest songs of all time, on it's release. I loved this song when I first heard it, everything about it, the beat, the lyrics, everything...all made me wanna go book my flights to California, kinda like how I get now when I hear To Live And Die In LA...Cali Love is still a song I enjoy listening to if I hear it from time to time, but like I said...the radio tried to kill it...but it can't be done.

There we go, any fan that likes their rap music has to love this album and there can be no flaws produced when arguing against this album (rap fans only). This album is probably in direct competition with Biggie's Life After Death, which is seen as the Eastside equivilent to All Eyez On Me. Different strokes different folks, there will be those who prefer Biggie's album...which is another amazing album, but I'd take All Eyez On Me anyday. Upon it's release it was seven times platnium and only took Pac 15 days to write, produce and make. This album is everything that Tupac is all about and only shows why the silence in rap music he left behind can never, and will never be filled.

People, that is all.

Simon
    Originally posted by hbk52685
    N.E.R.D.-In Search Of...

In Search Of... is the debut album from N.E.R.D.(No One Ever Really Dies), a group started by the famous hip hop producers, the Neptunes(Chad Hugo, Pharrell Williams, and Shay). In Search Of... is a great blend of rap, rock, r&b and funk, which makes for an interesting listen. The album was originally recorded in 2001 and released in Europe, but after coming to the realization that the album was simply not up to par; N.E.R.D. rerecorded the album and released it worldwide. Obviously, with the Neptunes involved, all of the songs on the album are sure to have amazing beats, but let's see if In Search Of... has any other redeeming qualities:
    1. Lapdance featuring Lee Harvey and Vita: The 1st single off the album, is quite the catchy song. It has a great beat and displays a great meshing of rap and rock. The song uses the analogy of strippers and lapdances to point out the bullshit sold to the public by politicians. For the most part the song as a whole is great, until we get to the appearance made by Lee Harvey. Harvey is a great rapper and his flow definitely suits the song, however, his lyrics simply clash with the overall tone of the song. Also a problem within Lapdance is the lack of proper transitioning, the song just seems to jump from one area to another without seemlessly piecing it all together. Aside from those few flaws, Lapdance is a very memorable track and a great cd opener. 7/10

2. Things are Getting Better: Yet another song with an excellent instrumental, but the song is plagued by lack-luster lyrics. The song is a very cliched depiction of how life is once you've made the big time. Very uninspired and cheesey lyrics. 4/10

3. Brain: Well, this is a song that shows N.E.R.D at its best. A very clever and shrewd song where Pharrell Williams along with help from Shay are contemplating whether they love a girl or are they just after her "brain." This song is one of the album's best tracks, yet it loses some points towards the end of the song; although a very sexual song, it's vague in its meaning which is good, that is until the end where they gave the plot completely away. Of course it's relatively easy to figure out, but as mother always says "a little mystery never hurt anyone." 9/10

4. Provider: One of the albums more heart felt songs deals with the trials and tribulations of a man trying to earn a living to support his family, and he does it the best way he can: by dealing drugs. A profound song that mixes rap with a little 70's soul, but once again, a lack of maturity as far as writing goes henders the song from reaching its full potential. 8/10

5. Truth or Dare featuring Kelis and Pusha T: Another high for the album, possibly one of if not the best tracks chronicles the sexual escapades of a group of uninhibited people. It has a rock/r&b beat and N.E.R.D. manages to fair a lot better in the writing department, but it's still unclear whether the song is glorifying the lifestyle, condemning it or simply giving an unbiased commentary.The song is definitely made a lot better due to the sultry voice of Kelis. 9/10

6. Tape You: A rap/ funk song about a guy trying to live out his fantasy by video taping sex with a young girl. Some of the lyrics are plain corny and the song's purpose seems somewhat unclear: I'm not sure whether it was comedy, a song of a very serious nature, or a little of both. Here again the lyrics make it hard to fully comprehend the song. 6/10

7. Run to the Sun: A very somber song, where Williams confesses his love for a woman. A very unique track and is definitely a throwback to 70's soul and r&b. Both the instrumental and the lyrics are great, but a bit repetitive at times. Otherwise, N.E.R.D. are in fine form. 9/10

8. Baby Doll: Yet another 70's throwback, but not done nearly as well. The lyrics are corny and very cliched. It would have been a lot better if N.E.R.D. just settled with Run to the Sun and left out this horrible track, which greatly takes away from the album. 3/10

9. Am I High featuring Malice: A vague song that's unsure of where it wants to go. The highlight is the song's beat and Malice's rapping portion of the song. Once again, shotty lyrics keep N.E.R.D. from creating an excellent song. 6/10

10. Rock Star: Rock Star is another highlight on In Search Of... The group shows us time and time again how effortlessly they can mix rap and rock to make a materpiece of a beat. The song is directed to the posers of the music world who are just faking their way through this world. Pharrell issues a warning to them that their time is almost over now. A great song with good lyrics, but it gets repetitive towards the end. It seems as if N.E.R.D. rushed the writing process on this song and were unable to come up with many lines, so the listener is forced to hear the chorus a little too much, no matter how good the chorus may be. 8/10

11. Bobby James: A moving song on the topic of a mistreated teen who runs away from home and turns to drugs as a means for comfort. A Great and memorable song beat wise and lyrically. But with N.E.R.D. for most of their songs, the lyrics could always be better. Nonetheless, a standout track that makes for a very easy listen. 9/10

12. Stay Together: The final track of the album happens to be a very good one. The song mixes comedy with seriousness covering the topic of a guy who still wants his ex and begins to have stalker-like qualities. A very good song and is quite clever, but I think this track would've been better suited to be track 11 and have Bobby James close out the album, oh well, it's still a great song regardless. 8/10

Overall In Search Of... gets a 7/10. This was a refreshingly different kind of hip hop album that was good, but could've been great. It failed to reach greatness due to the lack of writing prowess and the failure to create continuity between all of the songs. Some look at the album title In Search Of... and wonder what were N.E.R.D. in search of? Was it a little honesty(a "lapdance" without the bullshit), some "brain", provisions, a sex tape, a way to rid the world of all the "posers", that special girl, or just happiness, whatever that is? Well, whatever N.E.R.D. were searching for, although, they came close, didn't quite find it. But given their talent, I'll bet by their next album, they just might find what they were searching for and maybe a whole lot more.

Simon
    Originally posted by HB2K3
    Well...this is only the fourth hip-hop album I've seen reviewed on here (including Brennan's quality review of 'All Eyez On Me', one of the best albums ever IMO), which is weird, seeing as almost half the threads in this forum are hip-hop. What's going on? Anyway...

Big Pun's 'Yeeeah Baby!'

The Creation
    Well, first things first, this is an skit. In general, I'm not a fan of skits, as there are usually 3 or 4 in an album when you could fit an extra song in, and they usually serve no purpose (with a few notable exceptions, particularly 'Pakinamak' on Pun's first album, 'Capital Punishment'...well it doesn't serve any real purpose, but it's funny as hell.) Anyway, this is pretty weak, a Frankenstein scenario where 'The Punisher' is a creation made from Rakim, Kool G Rap, Eddie Murphy and Michael Jackson (cos he has money...fuckin' DICKHEAD!). Standard skit, but totally pointless.
    ** (rating it as a skit)

Watch Those

Ah, now we're talking...really upbeat song with a kinda rock feel to it, great guitar riff in the background. Lyrics are standard for Pun, funny but dangerous at the same time...his flow is above averageon this, though he can do better. Overall a decent opener, with a good beat and decent lyrics.
    ***1/2

Off Wit His Head
    I don't rate this song at all...Pun delivers his lyrics with his usual power, but the chorus is irritating as hell and the beat isn't particularly appealing. A dull song, though the lyrics are pretty funny. This is basically the same as Leatherface later on in the album, but that's done far better. Cameo from Prospect is shit, but then I'd expect nothing less, he's garbage.

It's So Hard
    One of the stand-out songs from his album, and the first real mainstream song I heard from Pun...absolutely shit-hot. The beat is one of my favourite of all time, Donell Jones is perfect for the chorus, and there's something about Pun's delivery that makes this song seem...special. I guess part of it is the fact that this song is, in part, to do with Pun's battle against health problems ('I just lost 100 pounds, I'm trying to live, I'm going nowhere...I'm staying a live baby!), it's somewhat poignant as he died before the album was even released. Also the video was beautiful, and showed how respected Pun was in the world of hip-hop, as just about every corner of hip-hop represents in the video - from LL Cool J, to Puffy, to Missy, to Nas, to Busta Rhymes, to Jennifer Lopez...brilliant. Sentimentality plays a part in how great this song is, but make no mistakes that, were Pun still alive today, this would still stand out as a quality song. One of my favourite hip-hop songs ever...just quality. ****3/4

We Don't Care
    The threatening beat and chorus could have made this song excellent, but Pun isn't on it nearly enough. I'm a big fan of Cuban Link (against the judgement of others ) but he doesn't do this song justice...Pun absolutely rips it up with a fuckin brilliant verse that saves this from being a real disappointment, but it could still have been better

**1/2

New York Giants
    First off, you can tell from the moment the beat kicks in that this is heavily-influenced by the featured artists, M.O.P...they are on form in this track, but Pun lets himself down by attempting their 'shouty' style in his verse...he loses his flow, and doesn't do himself justice. His usual flow would have gone great with the beat, but this is still a very good song, again very upbeat

My Dick
    In a word, humourous. Not a great song by any means, very cheesy and Pun's lyrics are shite, but Tony Sunshine has a great voice (shush PXL ) and somehow despite being cheesy it's still ok to listen to. One of the slower songs on the album, and the chorus is just too funny, especially when listening with girls around.

Leatherface
    Another stand-out song on the album. Has the rocky, dark feeling of Watch Those, but better. Has the lyrical content of Off Wit His Head, but way better. Excellent song, and Pun flow is excellent on this. Strange to see it coming after the light, tongue-in-cheek song previous, but it works well. Brilliance.
    ***1/2

Air Pun
    Worst skit ever. Just boring and annoying, and couldn't be a worse intro to a fantastic song following it.

100%

The only other single to be released from the album, and once again it's great. The beat is brilliant, and Tony Sunshine on the chorus is at his very best. Pun is on top form both lyrically and flow-wise, making this one of the best songs on the album. Classy song.

Wrong Ones
    Very average song for the most part, and Sunkiss is crap (who sorted out the collabos on this album? They should be shot.), but it's saved by Pun's ABSOLUTE TOP FUCKING DRAW flow once he comes in after the chorus. I'm talking close to 'Dead in the middle of little Italy...' type flow...the lyrics are so good, and Pun shows off his outrageous talent, it's just a shame that the rest of the song is so weak. For the second time on the album, he turns a weak song into a good one...makes you wonder what heights he could have reached were he alive today.

Laughing At You
    This song is shite. Slow, boring, uninspired, lyrically lacking and the chorus is so crap it's unbelievable, even Tony Sunshine can't save it. They could have taken the laughing and 10 seconds of the chorus and made this into a skit, and put a real song in it's place. Awful
    *1/2

Nigga Shit
    The beat is pretty good, and Pun is spot-on with the lyrics again (though there's no real flow), but it's too short, and could have done with a chorus, as it gets boring.

Ms. Martin
    First good collaboration on the album, as Remy Martin hits well with good (but sick...destroying a foetus??!) lyrics and flow. Pun only features on the chorus, which is kinda lame, but Remy pulls it off on her own, very good song with an addictive beat.
    ***1/2

My Turn
    More chilled out than the rest of the album, this wouldn't have been out of place on Capital Punishment. Pun is excellent once again, and the beat is good again, really chilled.
    ***1/2

You Was Wrong
    Great ending to the album, the beat is absolute quality, the best after the singles...Drag On and Remy Martin are great, Fat Joe even raises his game to be called passable, and Pun finishes where he left, with masterful flow and insightful, funny and intelligent lyrics. Greatness.

Overall, this album is something of an up-and-down...it shows signs of Pun's incredible talent, and has some of the best beats I've ever heard (It's So Hard, 100%, Leatherface), but there are just way too many filler tracks. I'd give it the thumbs up purely because when it's good, it's superb, the stand-out tracks are among my absolute favourite hip-hop tuens of all time...it's just a shame that there's so much average to poor stuff on it.

6/10
    Having listened to this a little more, I'd give it 7/10.

Simon
    Originally posted by Frofiles
    [B][b]It's monday morning and I'm bored as hell so here are some reviews for all you rap fans.

GZA: Legend of the Liquid Sword
    GZA has always been my favorite Wu-Tang member. His skills on the mic rival Rakim. His first CD, Liquid Swords, is one of my favorite albums of all time. Legend of the Liquid Sword doesn't dissapoint. The beats are definetly dope. Although only one track in produced my RZA, all of them have a disticnt Wu-Tang sound. GZA's lyrics are excellent, as usual. On Animal Planet, GZA compares life on the streets to animals in a jungle. And he pulls it off with great style. On Fame, GZA uses names of celebrities to tell a story. Download this song right now if you haven't heard it. The album has literally no filler tracks. It is my pick for rap album of the year and a must-own for any Wu-Tang or GZA fan.
    Score: 9.5/10
    Last edited by Simon; January 2nd, 2003 at 8:41 AM.

Simon
    Canibus: Mic Club - The Curriculum
    In my opinion, Canibus is easily one of the 5 best rappers to surface since Biggie and Pac's deaths. Yet, he remains virtually unknown among casual hip-hop fans. The only things that have helped him gain some recognition were his battles with LL Cool J and more recently, Eminem. The Curriculum is a new beginning for Canibus. He has settled down and started his own record label, Mic Club Music, and put together a great CD. Canibus, as usual, attacks the mic with intensity and brute force. On Bis vs. Rip, Canibus literally battles himself, splitting his personality in two. Reminds me of Gollum in LOTR. The beats are definetly solid throughout the CD and there aren't any bad tracks. Whether you're a Canibus fan or just want to check him out for the first time, this album is a good buy.
    Score: 9/10

Simon
    Jay-Z: The Blueprint 2 - The Gift & The Curse
    Jay-Z tried to follow the footsteps of Pac and Biggie by putting out a 2-disc album. Unfortunately he didn't put in twice the effort. If this album was cut down to fit one CD, it would be another classic, like Jigga's first Blueprint. But there are several filler tracks which take away from the final product. Now that I've said that, let me say that this album is bumpin'. Both discs stayed in my 5-disc stereo for nearly a month. The production on BP2 is very good but sometimes a little too club-friendly. Flashy beats from Just Blaze, The Neptunes and Timbaland can be found all over the album. This is definetly not a bad thing but I would rather hear some more toned-down beats from Kayne West or DJ Premier (see: Reasonable Doubt) and less synthesizers for Hova to rap over. Songs like F**k All Night, The Bounce, and 2 Many Hoes get repetitive. Now to the good stuff. Jay-Z is, and always has been a great rapper. In A Dream, Jigga recalls a dream in which he talked to Biggie. The Watcher 2, featuring Dre and Rakim is definetley dope. Likewise, Poppin Tags featuring Big Boi and Killer Mike and U Don't Know (Remix) featuring MOP will get your head noddin. But Jay-Z also includes several serious tracks, like Meet the Parents and Some How, Some Way. Both are great songs and show Jay-Z is more than pop-star. BP2 is more of the same ol' Jigga Man. Buy it if you are a fan of his.
    Score: 8.4/10

Simon
    [B]
    Nas: God's Son
    Nas is probably my favorite rapper still making music. So I was excited for God's Son and extremely happy when he did not sign with Murder Inc. Anyway, to the review. Get Down, the first track on the album, is my favorite on the whole CD. Nas busts some ill rhymes over a dope beat. The Cross, produced by Eminem, and Last Real N***a Alive are also great Nas songs. Hey Nas may be too soft for some people, but I like it a lot. The beat is mad chill and I like the chorus from the chick from City High. In Book Of Rhymes, Nas finds his old rhyme books and recites some really dope shit. Definetly one of my favorite tracks. As a whole, the album is great - IMO better than Stillmatic. Get it if you liked Stillmatic.
    Score: 8.7/10

Simon
    Fat Joe - Loyalty
    For me, Fat Joe has always been in the shadow of Big Pun...in more ways than one. While he'll never have the incredible flow of Pun, this album goes a long way to restoring the point that, while he isn't on Pun's level, he is still a competent rapper who never fails with the beats on his albums. The beats make this album, without a doubt...Joe is on form in It's Nothing and TS Piece, and there are a few definite club hits - Crush Tonight, Bust At You (with 2pac's 'Straight Ballin' providing the backing). Appearances from the much underrated Remy Martin (as far as female rappers go), Baby, Scarface and the frankly awful Prospect and Armageddon (who also produces most of the beats) do little to make the album any better...this album is lyrically average, none of the rappers are special on the mic, but it's all about the beats. Check out the songs mentioned above, plus "Take A Look At My Life", "All I Need" and "Shit Is Real Pt 3", an ode to Pun. The production is mostly done by Armageddon, but I think Kool and Dre are on there somewhere...good stuff.

If you're looking for lyrics, I'll give this a 6/10. If you're looking for bats, I'd give it an 8/10. So overall, this is 7/10.

7/10
    Last edited by Simon; January 2nd, 2003 at 8:47 AM.

Simon
    Originally posted by Suno
    Gang Starr - Full Clip

32 tracks with PRIMO production, 15/10, no joke!

Underground
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scarface shows the youngsters how it should be done.
    By Douglas Passion

Every hiphop legend falls. Once an old-timer loses a step, it's simply a matter of time before he's devoured by a younger, meaner, hungrier version of himself. The triumph of youth over age is not only natural; it is inevitable. Call it hiphop's version of Darwinism - survival of the illest.

Any young bucks hoping to separate Scarface from his throne will be in for quite a nasty surprise. Though long in the tooth, this guy is still meaner and hungrier than just about anyone. On The Fix, Face's seventh solo release, the longtime Geto Boy sounds downright rejuvenated.

In an era where jumbled seventy-minute opuses have become more the standard than the exception, The Fix refreshingly clocks in at a tidy eleven tracks (excluding the intro and outtro). Combining strong lyricism, consistent production and a few stellar cameo appearances, The Fix is Scarface's best album since The Diary.

When Scarface won "Lyricist of the Year" at the 2001 Source Awards against the likes of Eminem, Jay-Z and Talib Kweli, some skeptics viewed the distinction as something of a lifetime achievement award. Scarface has obviously taken the honor seriously. On The Fix, Face spits as if duty-bound to justify his recent accolades. His wordplay, his flow and his ability to convey emotion are just as sharp as they've ever been.

Even early in his career, Scarface spoke with the wisdom and authority of the proverbial original gangster. As a veteran, his words hold even more weight. Scarface's maturity is particularly striking when juxtaposed against hiphop's current crop of thuggish newjacks who unconvincingly spout tales of street life. It takes but one cut from The Fix to notice the difference between Face and the pretenders. On the album's opening cut, "Safe", Face dispenses four minutes of sage advice for the aspiring corner hustler. "So listen up, my niggas," he raps, "and I ain't trying to preach/ I'm just telling it from my side, 'cause I'm in the streets/ I've been there, done that/ seen a whole neighborhood destroyed by the government being tipped off my one rat."

On "My Block", Scarface paints a portrait of the rugged 5th Ward neighborhood from which he emerged. The same melodic piano riff used on M.O.P's "World Famous" works as the perfect backdrop to Face's earnest reminiscing. "On my block, everybody's business ain't your business," he recalls, "What's going on this house stay in here, comprende?/ On my block, you had to have that understanding/ 'cause if you told Miss Patty she went and told Gladys/ And when Country Mama got it, it was all on the wire/ and when word got back, they set your ass on fire."

True to the album's title, The Fix has no shortage of drug-related content. On one of the album's strongest cuts, "Guess Who's Back?", Roc-a-Fella cohorts Jay-Z and Beanie Sigel join up with Face to ruminate on their shared history of hustling. Over the soulful Kanye West creation, Scarface describes the grinder's mentality. "Started with an 8-ball," he raps, "gotta get this cake, dog/ give niggas a break? Nah/ you know how the game go/ Fuck you think I slang fo'?"

Ironically, Roc-a-Fella arch-nemesis Nas also makes an appearance on The Fix. Musically soothing but rich in lyrical paranoia, "In Between Us", features Nas dropping a nice little verse that discusses the subject of loyalty. "Keep your enemies close," he warns, "where they can see you/ it's not your enemy who gets you, it's always your own people".

For those looking for the traditional Scarface sound, "What Can I Do?", is a return to the conversational delivery Face utilized on 1994's "I Never Seen A Man Cry". Featuring a well-sung R&B hook, he provides longtime listeners with the type of emotion-drenched content they have become accustomed to. Lest you think this song is strictly a throwback, the multi-syllable wordplay illustrates Scarface's continued development as an emcee. "Live and I learn," he ponders, "I sit, watch my cigarette burn/ down to the ash, it reminds me of the now and the past."

Despite the plethora of different knob-twisters who supply The Fix's musical backbone, the strength of the album's production lies in its consistency. Unlike many paint-by-numbers albums, the tracks made by the Neptunes, Kanye West and even Scarface himself merge together to create a unified vibe. Even the 'Tunes, who have built a career off a signature drum kit, scale back their sound to a less club-happy feel. From front to back, the album is as soulful as a smoky Southern blues club.

In time, youth will be served. A veteran like Scarface will eventually be replaced by one of the doorag-clad youngsters who impetuously grabs for the microphone without truly knowing what to do with it. For the sake of thoughtful street-oriented hiphop, we can only hope that guys like Face can keep the wolves at bay for another few years. For the time being, be thankful that albums like The Fix still exist.

Down for the gitdown spanish announce table's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    awesome review, webbicho

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a stab in the dark, but did you right that webbicho?

Simon
    Did any of you read it? Says at the top that it's by Doug Passion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno what webbicho's real name is cuz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my favourite CD's, I hadnt listened to it for about a year until last month, so here goes, my first review:

Home Field Advantage

The High and Mighty

High and Mighty (also known as DJ mighty Mi and Mr Eon) are relatively unknown in the UK but are one of the best hip-hop/B-boy combinations I've ever come across. This album, originally released in 1999, this CD was the follow up to their previous efforts which included Rawkus collaboration album Soundbombing 2.

1. Tip off time
    A great skit to kick things off. Crazy scratching creates a great sound which sets the tone for the album. Probably one of the best introduction skits I've heard. 4.5/5 (as a skit)

2. Dirty Decibels (Feat Pharaoh Monch)
    A good track to kick things off. The only negative point is that Pharoah Monch is limited to the chorus. Still a good tune. 4/5

3Top Prospects Feat. Evidence And Defari
    This track has a darker feel to it, but is still kicking. Nice beat and loop with some good lyrics over the top. 3/5

4. Dick Starbuck (porno detective)
    This track is great. Superb beat, brilliant flow by Eon. The lyrics are superb, with a few comedic parts such as:
    Now lets play doctor, or should I say dentist?
    I be Starbuck, you the dental hygenist
    First brush your teeth, then rinse please
    orally like Monica Lewinsky

Comedic, but funky too. Mi scratches the tune and a sample like crazy at the end, I liked this, but it gets better later on. 4.5/5

5. B-Boy document '99

The first single off the album featured Mos Def (another artist who I like). Great beat again (This is the same right through the album) which Eon switching his delivery slightly. Catchy chorus which samples "rock the kasbah". I love the bit:

I'm Jedi Master, Mase Windu, what you been through
    Keep MC's heads wrapped like Erykah Ba-du
    Hip-Hop's Cleon Jones, when Eon Jones
    Wackest MC's, we pee on those

Great tune 4.5/5

6. Last Hit Feat. Eminem
    This is Eminem before he started to get annoying. The 2 whiteboys, Eon and Slim shady tear it up over an ok beat, but the tune is made by some awesome stratching of "Dont give a fuck" at the end. 4/5

7. A Yo (Skit)
    Funnyish skit. Basic innuendo (E.g, The record company love the record and I'm willing to bet they'll take every 12" you got. A YO!) 12 year olds would probably give it a 5/5 but I'll play it safe with a 3/5

8. Hot Spittable
    One of the weaker tracks on the album, but still decent especially with the lyrics:

Introduced Jack Daniels to Mary Jane
    Now they dating in my body, shit ain't the same

I'll go: 3/5

9. The Meaning
    One of my favourite songs on the album. The scratching at the end of the song is off the chart. Ripping Biggies "Ten crack commandments" to shit, Mi makes this tune awesome while Eon is giving out props. 5/5

10. In-Outs Feat. Cage
    Another good tune. At this point of the album you realise that whatever comes on next, the beat is going to be awesome. I'd never heard of Cage but when he brings lyrics like:
    I scribble declarations cause mental patients need it
    Turn a dominatrix to a submissive cheerleader
    Bite it beat it eat it hit it quit it
    Then I stick my fingers in the fuckin mouth of critics

Then I had to get some more of his songs. 4/5

11. Papers Please (Skit)
    Average skit 2.5/5

12. Shaquan & Eon Feat. Mad Skillz
    Decent. Not stand out though. A filler. 3/5

13. The Half
    A darker more erie beat kicks in here, but normal service is soon resumed. A moody feel to it as Eons delivery changes once again. Thats not a criticism of him though, his change in flow helps the album. 3.5/5

14. Hands On Experience Pt. Ii
    A song about masturbation. Funny but also funky. Featuring a bunch of guys and girls I never heard of (Bobbito Garcia, Kool Keith, What What) there are some real standout lyrics here. Bits such as:

It's Hand Solo, one time again
    I'm no jerk my friends, just for dick again and again
    I put a towel up on the floor
    for easy post-cleanup, get up, close my door
    So my roommate won't bust me
    like my mom did, and my dad did
    and my college roommate did, with jerkers in my palm
    That's why now, I do it dry
    So that's the set up, I tilt my head up
    puy my fingers on my nipple, swish around my pre-cum dribble

and

Holdin myself down when I'm on the clit
    I've got gadgets like I'm fuckin James Bond and shit
    Flippin myself, hittin the spots, keepin it hot
    Got the lights off, porn's on, ready to rock, fukkit
    "Ohhh What What!" I praise myself
    And I haven't went blind, I've got days of health
    Even amazed at the stealth speed my hand flicks
    I represent for chicks and niggaz with they hands on they shit
    Hah, you got experience?

I dunno why I like this song so much, maybe its because I can relate to it. 4.5/5

15. Weed
    A tribute to the leaf:

Weed, weed, what a relief
    Where will my eighth a day habit cease?
    This an agricultural service announcement
    You can treat it, and you can douse it

This is basically an extended skit. It could of been cut to a skit for about 1 minute long, but at 3.30, the repetative beat (no chorus) drags on. 3/5

16. Newman (Skit)
    Decent skit. 2.5/5

17. Open Mic Night Remix
    Another bunch of Mc's I never heard of: Thirstin Howl III and Wordsworth. Some great lyrics on this one such as: Let it be, and commence the record to play
    I'm so ahead of my time when I talk there's a seven second delay
    A heavy beat, great scratching on the chorus. A top tune 5/5

18. Mind, Soul, And Body
    A decent tune. I'd write more but I'm getting knackered now. 3.5/5

19. Friendly Game Of Football
    A good way to finish the album. The positioning of each song is great too. When you listen to some albums, you sometimes think, "well, I'd of put this track here and that track there" but this album has the tracks in great order which creates a good feel. Good commentary breaks on this track if a little short, does the job of wrapping up the album 3.5/5

Overall, this CD was a defining moment in my musical tastes. At the time I was listening to commercial(ish) hip hop from guys like 2pac, Biggie, Nas and Eminem. I saw H&M when they were supporting Eminem at a concert in London and brought their album. This album lead made to go onto listen to a whole bunch of artists such as Common, Mos Def, Jurassic 5, Slum Village, etc.

For anyone out there who is a commercial rap fan, all I can say is that Home field Advantage is the CD you need to buy to get yourself into a whole new hip hop. So many different beats and no tune sounds the same.

Great beats, superb lyrics, excellent flow, a superb balance between Eon and all the guest mc's plus about 10 different Star Wars references - What more do you want from a hip hop CD?

Ratings:

Beats: 10/10
    Lyrics/flow: 9/10
    Overall 9.5/10

Flow
    Very cool thread. I downloaded both Better Dayz and Man vs Machine in their entirities tonight so I might add reviews on them tomorrow or over the weekend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you guys feel about Indy rapper album reviews? I think it's all good, in order to kinf of promote our favorite Indy rappers to other posters. So here's the debut to one of my fav Indy Cds.

Mr. Sancho The True Player

Mr. Sancho is a Mexican/Latin rapper coming off the streets of San Diego."Sancho" meaning in Spanish as your Wifes Fuck Friend while you're not there, at work etc. He works for the Indy label Low Profile Records which is owned by fellow rapper Royal T. Mr. Sancho is a fast Bone Thug type speedd rappe r(On Kazaa Search a file entitled "Mr Sancho_Tongue Twist" Exactly like that to get a good idea of his style/flow/delivery). This boy is always dropping heat. His style is quite unique as that he sometimes blends in English with Spanish. Which sounds tight rather or not you know Spanish. He started off rapping tracks on other Low Profile members track than got his ow CD. Well enough about who he is lets get a review of his Debut album up.

The CD Starts off with a song entitled "To Everybody" Which pretty much tells all the haters fuck you and such. Pretty tight song using an Oldie beat. But don't let the first beat fool you the beats on this Cd are banging. Track 2 "International Trip" is basicilly off of a Hot Jamiacan/Bahama beat. Which basicilly talks about an International Trip where he basicilly raps about getting blazed up. Track 3 I ain't feelin much as it has the feel of a Mexico Club type beat. His rhymes are bangin I'm just not feelin the beat.
    Track 4 "Be Rollin/Califa Thugs" is some straight hot shit. This track is from his group the "Califa Thugs" Which has a blazin CD But that's another review. This track is blazin from beginning to end. Track 5 "In My Eyes" has a tight ass beat and a pretty tight chorus. He shows off some of his rapping skills hard in this track.
    Track 6 "Hey Girl" I really like this song. Hot beat, Hot Lyrics. At first hear you actually think he's talking about a female friend but,in the end you find out what he's really singing about, and It gives the song a whole nother meaning It was meant to sound kind of funny/not gangster style. Track 7 Hot beat Tight Lyrics. Shit chorus. Weak ass chorus. Track 8, Sucks major ass. Track 9 "I Reminisce" is definitely one of the CD's deepest song, as he is rapping to his slain homie. Any one who has lost a close friend can relate to the song except the slight slanguage barrier. This song carries a heavy ass beat and Tight lyrics along with IMO a dope Rapping talent with wonderful ability. Track 10 Ooh Mamma is basicilly a song with a tight beat and the reason they call him MR. SANCHO. Track 11 " Plenty of Feria" (Feriabeing soanish slang for money) Has a deep meaning if you're from the streets, Which is so true with veses like "Who gonna love you when you're lonely and you're cold and broke/Who gonna wanna be your homie when theres nothin to smoke/Who's gonna get you a hook up on the cris and coke. etc. Just Listen.Tight beat.

Track 12 "Thugstaz want to get high" Hottest joint on the CD IMO Just listen to this shit. TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT.
    And the Final Track,Track 13 "No PAtience" Is basicilly his view on how hard it is being a Mexican/Latino/Chicano in this world today. With a tight beat.
    Track 14 is an Outro.

He don't really rap in spanish but he throws in occasional Spanish words. If you check him out and need minor word translatin PM me.
    I'm really feelin this guy. He drops some super hot Shit. If WESTCOAST Latino rap ever makes it mainstream within the coming years I feel this guy will be a reason. Some People don't feel him Some do. I Def. do. I would reccomend you going out and copping this shit now. Only 13 songs and having 10 of them being good I find this an awesome CD. 8.5/10

Still not convinced to give this guy a chance Check out these Tracks off Kazaa:

Thugstaz Want To get high
    MR Sancho Califa Thugs (To get this one type in Thug Shit in the Kazaa search thing and look for the Title"Mr Sancho Califa Thugs")
    I Reminisce.
    Hey Girl
    Kronica Smoke
    Sureno Thugs.
    Don't wanna be your man

That should convince you enough.

Bone Thugs N Harmony - Thug World Order review coming next.
    Last edited by Ronald McDonald; January 4th, 2003 at 5:10 AM.

Simon
    Ronald McDonald - download Cuban Link's 'Hey Mama' and tell me what's sung on the chorus I have never been able to work it out.

And I'm going to have a look at that Sancho guy, I love Latino hip-hop but haven't heard anything new in ages...

Flow
    – Meh, brief overview…

The Last Temptation by Ja Rule

Intro
    Just Rule shouting about putting the track on at Gotti, the intro isn’t twenty seconds long.
    “Thug Lovin’” FEAT: Bobby Brown
    Like Suno says it’s a catchy “pop” song, although as far as catchy pop songs go it’s a lot better than “Hot in Herre” or some similar stuff.
    6.5/10

“Mesmerize” FEAT: Ashanti
    It’s not much different from “Thug Lovin’” in context, just about sex and the relationship. It reminds me a bit of the “I’m Real” remix only it’s not as good.
    5/10

“Pop Niggaz” FEAT: Pharrell
    This is a lot better than the two songs before it, Pharrell doesn’t do a lot on the track, alright beat, nothing special but an alright track.
    6.5/10

“The Pledge Remix” FEAT: Nas, Ashanti and 2Pac
    One of the better songs on the album, personally I can’t stand Ashanti so that takes away from it a bit, Nas’ and Rule’s verses are both good, and there’s just like a voiceover of Pac talking near the end.
    7.5/10

“Murder Reigns”
    Some decent lyrics and a cool beat, I think the beat was sampled from somewhere else but still.

- - “Cos if I ever walk the green mile,
    You can look at me and blame it on my lifestyle,
    What can I say? I was raised as a lonely child,
    Lonely,
    Pappa disowned me,
    So the streets raised me,
    To call me crazy is not unheard of,
    Now it’s gonna rain down murder”

8/10

“Last Temptation” FEAT: Charli Baltimore
    Good up-beat, like party song, B’more is a whore and she drops the N Bomb a couple of times, she’s white though :S But she’s not as famous as J’lo so there won’t be any backlash. Lyrics and flow are good.
    7/10

“Murder Me” FEAT: Cadillac Tah and Alexi
    I don’t like this song, tis pretty shite. Just about the same shit as “Mesmerize” and half of “Last Temptation”, just about fucking whoever it is.
    5/10

“The Warning”
    I love this song, just Rule on his own, good lyrics and delivery.
    - - “And you’ll never look in my eyes,
    And you’ll never, ever smile,
    Cos your high’s coming down,
    And you can’t touch me…
    …but if you really wanna fuck with me,
    C’mon and get your heat my nigga,
    Told you before my nigga,
    Don’t ever doubt this nigga”

9/10

“Connected” FEAT: Eastwood and Crooked I
    A decent song I reckon, Eastwood’s and Crooked I’s verses are probably better than Rule’s, not a great song but a gooden about respect.
    7.5/10

“Emerica” FEAT: Young Life and Chink Santana
    This is a ‘comedy’ song about ecstasy in America, hence the title. Good beat and delivery, well, good to just chill back and relax to. Young Life looks promising I’m gonna look up some more of his stuff.
    8/10

“Rockstar”
    Probably the best song on the LP, just Rule on his own again with some great lyrics and delivery.
    - - “Said a nigga was raised up in the streets,
    Yeah momma I’m a thug,
    Is the lord in me?
    You and everyone else,
    Lord me please shine down on me,
    I’m not the only nigga that prays everyday for forgiveness,
    This world is making me **insert lyrics here that I can’t make out**,
    The media always wants the exclusive,
    Well here it is, fuck them all,
    Baby cos they’re useless”

9/10

“Destiny (Outro)”
    Just some random rapping about various different subjects, only lasts a couple of minutes.
    In conclusion:
    He raps about sex too much, the phrase “Murder Inc.” and/or “Ru’ Baby!” gets shouted out or mentioned about 10 times in every song and to a lesser extent so is “The Last Temptation”. There are a few really good songs on the LP, now that I write about it the LP isn’t as good as I originally thought it was, but for just chilling, laying back with the album on it’s a good album to have. If you don’t like Rule though you probably won’t like the album (stands to reason).
    Overall – 7 - 7.5/10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Operation Stackola - Luniz

OPERATION STACKOLA – LUNIZ

Comin’ out of Oakland, California, Knumskull and Yukmouth AKA the Luniz smashed onto the scene back in 1995 with their classic hit ‘I Got 5 On It’, technically, the duo, amongst mainstream popular music heads could class them as your traditional “One hit wonders”; Received a fair portion of air time, got their five minutes of fame and faded back into obscurity with the Babylon Zoo’s of the industry. Truth be told the Luniz been holding’ there own since forever it seems, coming with west coast underground classics since they sprung, with there typical heavy base influenced left side beats and melodic ‘guaranteed-to-make-your-head-nod’ synth’s and hooks, the luniz spit some nice gangster raps, especially Yukmouth, who has a laid back approach to delivery and witty on point raps that contrast the beats perfectly, anyways track by track ima review 1995’s Operation Stackola…

1: Intro

Just some montage of previous luniz material, skippable after the first listen…

2: Put The Lead On Ya (Featuring Dru Down)

The Beat is made grimy, Got some funky chopped up base and piano sound, hard ass drums too, I really love the beat and the cameo by Dru Down is far from stellar, in fact most of the cameo’s on this album compliment it and only enhance the tracks, Dru Down’s deliberate and intense flow create a nice contrast too Yuk’ and knum’s laid back raps. They all spit some nice game, the basic jist is about survival of the fittest, get your papers by any means necessary, ie ‘putting the lead on em’, knumskulls opening verse is quite apt for describing the general vibe of the track:

‘I'm broke as fuck in this life that Im livin in
    I'm watchin niggaz bubble an the jealousy is kickin in
    I wanna pull licks but that jelousy don't fit me
    let's bet on the set, I'm a vet runnin from Fifty
    It spell out, so I'm a post to the fullest
    Only servin then, the Ice Cream Man is out again,
    It's jealous niggaz on the lurk still
    We had a treaty, so now they goin back on they first deal
    (Awww now they ready to put the lead on ya
    how would you like it if a nigga was broke an came fed on ya??!!)’

3: I Got 5 On it (Featuring Michael Marshall)

Yeh, you all know this one, a beat that’s recently been re-hashed by J-Lo and Nas but for me this one is infinatly superior, the hook, provided by Marshall, and the eerie sounding synths just make it stand taller. Generally rap about getting blunted and high, and nicely pulled off by Yuk and Knum. Probably the best song on the album.

4: Broke Ho’s

Judging by the hook:

‘You Gotta have a J.O.B if you wanna be with me,
    cos broke Ho’s is a no-no, Broke ho’s is an N.O.N.O. fo’ sure!’

In the same vein as Sporty Thieves ‘No Pigeons’, Yuk and Knumb provide some witty game on the subject. The beat makes this a stand out track, provided by Shock G of Digital Underground fame, It’s a rolling, seering piano melody lacing a choppy harmony on the base, very tight track!

5: Pimps, Playa’s & Hustla’s (Featuring Dru Down & Richie Rich)

Damn, I can express how chilled this beat is, just a joint you’d wanna kick back to, some melodic G-funk Synths that just remind me of warm summer evenings, Dru Down stands out on this track with some tight delivery on the verse:

‘I'm steadily stackin up on the green
    ballas will use the triple beam
    shot calla use they words
    hustlas will use they shoulders, playas sit back an get served
    now observe the definition of the pimp-mode
    I take hoes, an break hoes, an hoes is stayin mobile, really though
    doe is what I love, so what's up?
    nigga who you tellin, that life always been tough
    nigga I had it rough
    an nigga it ain't no bluff
    an potna I had my own mama sufferin, that's sumpthin’

Richie Rich comes tight too, love this joint! As you can tell the general sentiment is about the trials and tribune’s of being a Pimp, playa or a hustla.

6: Playa Hater (Featuring Teddy)

This ones ‘I Got 5 On It’ on Prozac, very upbeat summer time feel good track. Teddy (of Blackstreet fame) kicks a very nice hook, its just a real chilled out joint, nice funky nostalgic feeling base line, plenty of synths and horns, this could only be a west coast bomb. Yukmouth and Knumskull flow real nice on this one, at this point the content begins to grow thin, but the guys sound nice on top of an extremely nice beat, so really I have no complaints, lovin’ it!

7: Broke Niggaz (Featuring Knucklehead & Eclipse)

Deep contrast from the previous song, the beat is in the same vein as ‘Put The Lead On Ya’, real grimy feeling funk sampled joint, with a tight guitar riff looped, the West Coast stamp is the really hard G-funk synthy base sound. Track is about what Broke Niggaz will do to make ends meat, like they say ‘Broke Niggaz make the best crooks, ya best look, look over ya shoulder if youse a high roller!’
    Again very nice guest appearances, especially Eclipse, who really Eclipse’s the others on the track:

‘See the whole thang was a plot
    cuz that bitch you got, she gave me the scoop
    12 o'clock
    Lexus coupe
    fill it up wit hella loot
    since your neighbors are all in my business
    you niggas don't need to know who the fuck this is
    juss throw on a ski mask
    and then I dash
    this my last visit
    and then I'm outtie
    350 prob'ley
    you niggas scared
    don't stop me
    I'm a pro
    when it comes to gangsta robberies
    the Paraphanalia
    the niggas
    the killas
    the Mobb
    the riggas
    the skrilla
    the dealas is doin they job
    Eclipse
    keeps clips
    (So don't you make 'em wanna blast nigga)
    I'd rather jack yo ass nigga
    than be a broke ass nigga.’

Tight Jam!

8: Operation Stackola

The beat is above average, not the best on the album, kinda annoying the way the base melody stretches 5 seconds and is looped for the whole duration, some nice synths though, it’s rescued by the way Yukmouth and knumskull trade verses to tell a droll story that is Operation Stackola:

‘(Yukmouth)

Nigga notice I'm broke wit a loaded four-fifth gat
    the real nigga rolled an showed us where you hide yo doe an shit at
    he did juss that, showed me where the kicks at
    an big scratch told Knum to come nigga lets get that.

(Knumskull)

Yuk pull over
    park the Nova
    tonight's the night, so I hope you write about the yola
    I hold the Mag, lookin for the attack
    search the whole fuckin crib cuz I know he got scratch.

(Yukmouth)

Creep up the mutha fuckin stairs wit the ski mask
    on the second floor in the drawer there should be cash
    but we laugh
    cuz we see task cars right next door
    but we poor, no budget fuck it, so kick down the door.

(Knumskull)

Boom kick it once
    boom kick it twice
    three times it's breakin an have the fuckin building shakin
    make our way through the house nothin less nothin more
    (where the kicks at??!!)
    I think they in the third drawer.

(Yukmouth)

There's more
    an that's a fa sho-sho I got the doe, now we up out the door
    before the neighbors call po-po
    to the mobile, to count the real deal bank roll
    in my sock, I rub daily cuz it's scratchin my ankle.

(Knumskull)

It's morn-ing
    we unleash to the streets
    wit 12 g's a piece
    headed straight to the East
    better recognize this game is bought to be sold
    that's why I pull licks fo some paper to fold.’

Worth a listen for the lyrics imo.

9: 5150 (Featuring Shock G)

Tight Joint, a beat that crawls a long at a slow pace, with some atmospheric effects and eerie sounding synths, about the luniz contemplating there fate, where they reflect on there life, and basically brand them psycho’s, hence the title ‘5150’, a very nice track some nice lyrics and tight flows from both the luniz.

10: 900 Blame A Nigga

Ill joint, not a completely different concept, but a nice humorous way the luniz approach quite a controversial subject like persecution of afro Americans. The beat for a start, is deffinetyly ill, some synth melody at the beginning that reminise ‘all I need’ by Method man, a nice rhythm with some chopped up vocal samples you’ve probably heard somewhere, Knum’s opening verse is tight:

‘How can I get blame for shit
    That a nigga really didn't even do
    One nigga did the dirt, but the blames on the whole crew
    I feel like O.J., and Rodney
    A little mayo, but still don't be havin
    No happy days like Potsy
    Nigga's get blamed for every thang
    From robbin you house, to ho stroll's
    And the tropicana cocaine
    And if the sun turned black
    {"Yup a nigga did it Jim"} OR
    {"get a nigger over so I blame it on him"}’

11: Yellow Brick Road

one of my favourites on the album, nice vibe to the beat, some funky base, nice chopped piano key melody, a harmonic vocal sample in there to kick off each bar, and seering G-funk synths that rule tha skool! About hustling and extortion, but for some cliché gangsta rap concept, the Luniz comical and sharp take on the matter makes the track all that more better.

12: So Much Drama (Featuring Nik Nack)

Nice twist with the fem-cee Nik Nack spitting some on the opening verse. The beat is on that mellow tip, kinda jazzy, with a nice funky base, some vocal-corded rises in there, very. About dram in the streets, it’s the luniz delivery and flow that make it a tight joint, nice Yukmouth comes hot:

‘holdin shit,
    to myself,
    shotgun bullets be bad fo them health,
    so save that gang-bang shit on somebody else,
    where I peep thugs,
    have drugs to sell you,
    don't fuck wit the L-U-N-I-Z that's what they tell you,
    peep the murder we wrote,
    we roll wit C-Note an Noo-Trybe to fools slide,
    at my show because I make the whole fuckin O hooride
    slide to get the remedy,
    M.D.’

13: She’s Just A Freak

Ill beat, tight base like, nice strings and synth, crisp drums, quite mellow, yet quite up-tempo, kinda in the same vein as ‘She Said’ by Ludacris, once again, Yuk and Knums delivery is tight, all the tracks are very pleasing to the ear.

14: Plead Guilty

[/I]Luniz on some political tip, tight ass beat once again, a constant piano melody throughout, reminds me of Beverly hills cop theme the odd cliché west coast sound effect thrown about, never a bad thing imo. The opening skit bit sums the song up perfectly:

‘No I'm not guilty, you're guilty. Law makers. Politicians. Business men.
    The police. You don't see no black folks dropping packages out of
    airplanes. You don't see none of that. You're the reason why, I'm a
    criminal. You're the reason why, I'm.... The Ice Cream Man.’

Once again, the Luniz raps are on point with there usual tight delivery, what can I say another dope track.[/I]

15: I Got 5 On It (Reprise)

Exact same beat, with some un-enhanced vocals on the hook, and different verses from the Luniz, back and forth line trading between both Yuk and Knum, pretty tight, I prefer the original.

If you a big G-Funk/West Coast/Gangsta rap fan then you deffinetly love this album, if you looking for some tight ass beats with some nice sounding flows and deliverys, some shit to kick back to you’ll like it too, if you’re looking for some deep lyrical content then you might want to look elsewhere. The Luniz revise cliché matter in the gangster rap category but their take and the angle at which they spit about these concepts is somewhat refreshing, they both got skills and the guest appearances only enhance the tracks on which they crop up.

Overall Ill give it an 8.5 out of 10

Peace!
    Last edited by Suno; January 3rd, 2003 at 3:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ronald McDonald - download Cuban Link's 'Hey Mama' and tell me what's sung on the chorus I have never been able to work it out.

And I'm going to have a look at that Sancho guy, I love Latino hip-hop but haven't heard anything new in ages...

Ha I don't know maybe it's jus the version I got. But I can't really make it out it sounds like he's mumbling. I only could make out something like "My whole life you held me close to your heart" or "You will always be in my heart". or it could be "for Life, something something. I can't really make it out. But I'll call someone to figure it out.
    Tight song though.

Simon
    Thanks.

And yer, it's a great song. Try telling everyone else that though

Simon
    I just bought God's Son, will review later on...

Flow

Canibus: Mic Club - The Curriculum
    In my opinion, Canibus is easily one of the 5 best rappers to surface since Biggie and Pac's deaths. Yet, he remains virtually unknown among casual hip-hop fans. The only things that have helped him gain some recognition were his battles with LL Cool J and more recently, Eminem. The Curriculum is a new beginning for Canibus. He has settled down and started his own record label, Mic Club Music, and put together a great CD. Canibus, as usual, attacks the mic with intensity and brute force. On Bis vs. Rip, Canibus literally battles himself, splitting his personality in two. Reminds me of Gollum in LOTR. The beats are definetly solid throughout the CD and there aren't any bad tracks. Whether you're a Canibus fan or just want to check him out for the first time, this album is a good buy.
    Score: 9/10
    I went and downloaded this album, very, very good.

yawn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    has anoyone got the latest bone thugs album, thug world order. also if anyone has any of layzie single stuff, or any of the mo thung stuff could they post a quick review.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive had the new BTNH album for a month now

Bizzy rips every track he gets on. His verse on "Money, Money" is full of anger and he comes across strong. It kinda sounds like Layzie was the main guy who got the group back together because he plays more of an active role on the songs instead of just rapping his verse, he sings some of the choruses too, but almost all choruses are done by Krayzie.

There's a lot of different subject matter too, which is always good. "Guess Who's Back" is uptempo and tells everyone that they've never changed and never went anywhere. "Get up, get out" is the inspiritional 'put your mind to it' songs. "Pump, Pump" is classic bone, with the beat sounding like a mix of "Thug Luv" and "Make my day". "If I fall" is more of a spiritual song and is one of the more harmonized songs.

overall: 7.8/10

Gabriel Agbonlahor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought God's Son, will review later on...
    /me twiddles his thumbs

Simon
    Nas - God's Son

Get Down - Samples James Brown's classic all the way through, providing a really excellent beat. Nas is on point as usual, and uses Brown's 'Get Down!' chorus in an original way - his story of a guy robbing a bank (I think, I'd have to listen again) and telling the public to 'get down' while he shoots. Excellent song, great beat and lyrics.

The Cross - Eminem's production on this is actually pretty good. After some of the dull beats from The Eminem Show, I wasn't expecting much, but it's decent enough (although he's not going to run the Beatnuts for their money just yet) and, as goes without saying, really, Nas is on fire lyrically again. The song is basically about Nas' comeback - though from what, I don't know...Nas never fell off, just made a couple of shite albums . Not a standout track, but only because the album is filled with great tracks. Still a decent track.

Made You Look - The first single off the album, and to be honest I'm not a big fan of it. The beat is funky, but it gets pretty annoying quite quickly. I guess it does it's job in that it'll stick in your head. Typical pop-rap really, stereotypical bragging that does nothing for rap music, and gives the haters plenty of ammunition with the old 'rap is all about guns, bitches and drugs' line. Disappointing.

Last Real Nigga Alive - Seems like the beef will never die. Nas rips Jay Z once again, as if he hadn't proved his worth as king of New York. Nice, chilled beat, that shouldn't go with a battle rap, but somehow it works. It's more saying how good Nas is than saying how bad Jay is, but he makes his point. Some nice big-ups for Biggie, Rakim, Ghostface et al. Nice to see a rapper showing his respect on wax rather than concentrating on his own braggadocio. I think he should let the Jay Z shit die, but this song is still good.

Zone Out - First off, who the hell are the Bravehearts? Collabos are nice, but only if you're getting some talent on the track. These guys are pathetic. The one plus is that they drop their sole verses on the worst song on the album. Nas as per usual drops well, and the beat is so-so, but you won't want to listen to it anyway. Skip this track

*1/2

Hey Nas - Ah, this is more like it. Beat is funky as hell, and Nas' drops decent lyrics on an old topic, but he pulls it off, just about. Kelis and the bird from City High are on the chorus, which is pretty cool. Now comes the quality...

I Can - Got to be the second single. I think it was in America, but it's not out here yet...but it just has to be. Catchy, catchy, CATCHY. It's got a famous classical piece on the beat, which I forget the name of...it's in the film 'It'. The beat is oh-so-simple, but very nice. Nas drops nice lyrics yet again (bored of me saying that yet? ) on an uplifting song in the style of 'Lose Yourself' - believe in yourself and you can do anything you want. Kids on the chorus guarantee sales, but somehow Salaam Remi (and who is this guy? I never heard of him, but he rules!) has produced it without making it sound cheesy. Very nice.

***1/2

Book Of Rhymes - Contender for best song on the album...easily the most inventive. No idea whether there's any truth in what he's claiming he's doing on this track, but basically he claims to have found a book of lyrics he wrote in his teen years, that he forgot about, and he brings it to the studio to see how it would work as a song. Nas creates a real atmosphere by admitting, somewhat humorously, that his first couple of pages are 'weak...just weak'. He starts his verse again a couple of times after he finds he dislikes his first attempts, and you can hear pages turning in the background. Incidentally, one of the 'weak' rhymes he drops at the start of the song is actually my favourite line on the album - "How can I trust you when I can't trust me?". Great stuff. These lyrics are absolutely immense, bordering on his One Mic lines from Stillmatic. Incredible. Did I forget to mention the beat? Well that's a mistake by me, because Alchemist drops a fine cut on this song, very dreamy and fits perfectly with Nas' reminiscent rapping. Fantastic song, basically.

****1/2

Thugz Mansion N.Y. - And this is the other contender for best song on the album. Magnificent and, at least to me, unheard of rap music - a guitar, a singer, and two of the best rappers to ever bless this Earth with their presence. The other guy is 2pac, by the way . This is on 2pac's latest release, "Better Dayz" as well, but I prefer this one, it's got crisper production and the singing is a little clearer. However, where clarity is increased, atmosphere is decreased. Without knowledge of circumstances, the version on his album could quite easily pass for a live recording, and not even in the studio - the lack of clarity makes it sound really homely. But anyway, that's not this version. This version is better. Best lyrics on the album, a beautiful tale of surviving life's struggles to live forever in a heaven reserved for the ghetto population - the Thugz Mansion. You really have to listen to this song to see how brilliant it is, and how unusual it is, also. If anyone can recommend any similar acoustic raps with just a guitar, I'd be appreciative. Almost as good, in a musical sense, as pure hip-hop can get, in my opinion.

****3/4

Mastermind - Another nice beat, very eerie sounding, which goes with the song. Not a fan of the repetitive chorus, but the lyrics more than make up for it. Again, in relation to the other songs on the album, this is merely average - put it on a weaker artist's album, and it'd get the props it deserves. This is one for the true fans - a basic but nice beat, and pure lyrics. More good stuff.

Warrior Song - A really African sounding beat, produced by Alicia Keys, who also appears on the chorus. The beat is damn funky, and Key's excellence on the piano, plus her music writing ability makes for a real jazzy number. Nas' flow on this is better than any other song on the album, and his lyrics are on point. This is really Alicia Keys' song though, the production is better than I would have expected from her, and her backing his lyrics is a nice touch. Another good track.

***1/2

Revolutionary Warfare - HELL YEAH! Funkin' it up, this is a side of Nas we don't usually see. Quite poppy beat, but Nas' hits with a more hardcore style than the chilled style he holds for most of the album. Strange that more than once in this song, and also on Book Of Rhymes, Nas rips on Gandhi, of all people...dunno what that's about, weirdness. Some guy called Lake is on this track...he's pretty crappy. Again I'll make the point that these beats NEED a collabo with a Method Man, a Redman...hell, this beat would have made Fat Joe look good. So again a potentially excellent song is spoiled by weak collaborations. Ignoring Lake, this song is very good.

***1/2

Dance - First off, the beat is chilled as hell, and Nas matches this with a whispering flow similar to his calm side on 'One Mic'. This is real sit-back-and-just-chill-the-hell-out music. For a moment I thought Pharell was on the chorus, but on hearing again, I realised it was Nas singing. Not good. To be fair, he's not terrible, not as bad as Jay Z (is there anything that guy can claim to be better than Nas at?!), but the high pitched stuff doesn't suit him at all. I think that the slightly off-key singing is deliberate though, as part of this awesome ode to his recently deceased mother (I think she died of cancer...R.I.P....). Beautiful song really, and Nas really goes all out to make this as nice as possible, with a harmonica dropped in for textra poignancy. The beat is not dissimilar to 2pac's "My Block" remix from Better Dayz, which is not a bad thing by any means. Really nice song.

Heaven - Slightly dull beat, but this is all about Nas' lyrical prowess. The chorus sounds like it has both Bone Thugs and Mary J. Blige, but apparently not. They really do sound similar to whoever does the chorus though. Speedy flow from Nas, and of course he pulls it off with consumate ease, proving that he can go with almost any style. Lyrics aren't especially great, but they're still good. I think Dance should have been the last song on the album, but this one is a decent enough finish.

***1/2

-----------------------------------------------

So, all in all, this is a great album. No skits, no filler tracks (though the pure embarassment that the Bravehearts create on Zone Out make it damn close to a skip-this track. Fans will not be disappointed, this is certainly better than Stillmatic, and has four absolute top-draw songs - Get Down, Thugz Mansion, Book Of Rhymes and Dance. I'm not going to give an ignorant comment saying that it's among the best hip-hop albums ever created or something like that, because I simply don't have a vast enough expanse of knowledge of hip-hop to compare it to. What I will say is that it's the best album in the last year or so.

9/10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone can recommend any similar acoustic raps with just a guitar, I'd be appreciative.
    k-os - heaven only knows (Or you could get the remix with the 'today was a good day' sample)

k-os feat. Rascalz - follow me

k-os - superstar pt.0 (not acoustic, but one sick jazz beat)

Gabriel Agbonlahor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    /me definitely thinks it was worth the wait simone

Simon
    It's worth getting as well

I forgot to review the bonus disc, but it's not much cop anyway.

Mr Successful.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would a review of Darius' dive in be appropriate here?

AlphaBrennino
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Redman - Whut? Thee Album.

I thought I may as well add in one of the classics in this thread, seeing as you bastards are reviewing current albums.

Whut? Thee Album is a must have album and I lost my original copy and bought it again yesterday, so I listened to it again for the first time in about four months.

Whut? Thee Album.

I think this was released in 1992-1993, one of those years and it is a must have album for any hip hop fan. Kinda like your Chronic album, or your Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em.

Anyways, this album is pure ass funkyness. Anything that has Erick Sermon on the production, you know it's gonna rule (ignore EPMD's Out Of Business). If you like oldschool EPMD, and I don't see how you couldn't, then this album is kind of a continuance of the EPMD feel. It has a lot of classic tracks, including Time 4 Sum Aksion, So Ruff, Tonite's Da Night and Hardcore to name but a few.

The album starts off with a lot of drums and Redman's flow is on point throughout the album. This album is also where the whole Soopaman tracks started that Redman has included in all of his albums since, like Badboy did with the Madd Rapper.

If I could be assed really, I'll do a track by track review at some stage later on, but at the minute I really could not be bothered. But I felt it needed a mention because I just got it again and also because there is not enough old school love in this thread.

Gabriel Agbonlahor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Smell It?
    Would a review of Darius' dive in be appropriate here?
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Giving him the business. QuietStorm's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talib Kweli "Quality"

1. Keynote Speaker

Dave Chapelle introduces Talib Kweli in his usual hilarious self. Pretty good intro I guess with the highlight being Chapelle calling Talib a "3-time Nobel Peace Prize Winner"

2. Rush

The song definitely takes on it's name as it gives you a rush upon listening. Talib spits great lyrics in an up-tempo style. The beat has a rock song feel to it. Xzibit talks about Kweli for a bit at the end of the track.

3. Good To You

Talib spits more on-point lyrics. A little bit corny at times I guess but very deep for the most part. The beat is decent at best but the chorus is pretty nice with a girl's voice singing to the beat and Talib saying "Call it skill, call it game, call it glow, call my name, Like the lord, all in vein, screaming like you all in pain"

4. Shock Body

Pretty poppy drum beat and chorus but Talib's voice always comes very strong and his lyrics are as good as ever on this track. His second verse especially kills it.

5. Get By

The track has a funky piano beat and with the woman at the start of the song it has sort of a churchy feel to it I guess. But with Talib starting the song off with the lyrics "We sell crack to our own out the back of our home" you know it is going to be some deep stuff. One of my favorite tracks on the album.

6. Stand To The Side

Slower song which actually incorporates tap dancing into it towards the song. Talib has an amazing flow in this song and the song has a very good message to it. Vinia Mojica sings in the chorus "Fuck the politics and pride...I just try to stay alive"

7. Gun Music

An ode to guns but it still has some important words as Talib speaks on the government being at fault for the blood spilling in the streets. He speaks about what people around the world are using guns for. Not my favorite song but not too bad. The short skit at the end of the track is kinda humorous.

8. Put It In The Air

DJ Quik produced song that is definitely a party track. Definitely not the greatest lyrics and Quik's verse is typical pimped-out Quik but it serves it's purpose and is definitely pleasing to the ears.

9. Waitin' For The DJ

The song that most of you have probably heard since it is the single. Talib's flow is amazing and he uses an up-tempo style in short spurts between the "Waaaitin for the DJ" chorus. Great single in my opinion.

10. Talk To You

Slow love track with an R & B feel. Well, you always need one or two of these on an album I guess. Kinda boring but I guess it is a good song to play for your girl. Well there is only one verse too which sucks and like the last three minutes are basically Bilal lullabying. Nothing special.

11. Joy

Good track where Talib talks about his two greatest days with the birth of his son in 1996 and daughter in 1999. Mos Def is on the chorus which is always a welcome to my ears. I just wish he had a verse on the CD. Oh well. But yeah, Talib is great at spitting a story and nothing is realer than the birth of his seeds.

12. The Proud

One of my favorite songs on the CD and definitely the most political. He speaks on subjects ranging from Timothy McVeigh's execution and how at first it was thought to be an Islamic terrorist bombing to a drunk police officer killing an entire family in Brooklyn and how he thinks the police killed Biggy and Pac or at least know who did. He then goes on to talk about September 11th and how America came together but even though we became a more patriotic nation we still have tons of problems to deal with. The chorus flows perfectly. Very deep song. Talib hit the nail on the head with this one.

13. Where Do We Go

Talib comes with an amazing flow. He sings together with Res on the chorus and his flow, at least on the first and third verses, he is kind of sing-songy and very deep again. The piano-laced beat hits every note perfectly. It is a hard track to describe so I guess you have to listen to it for yourself. But you will probably be saying wow after hearing it the first time.

14. Guerilla Monsoon Rap

When I saw that Talib Kweli was going to feature Black Thought of The Roots and Pharoahe Monch on a track I about jumped for joy right there. And they certainly did not disappoint. Kanye West kills the beat and Black Thought And Pharoahe are untouchable on their verses. This song is going to be a certified classic.

15. Won't You Stay

Another slower track to end the CD but as Talib says, "This is the best part of the trip". Another love-type song with decent production. Kendra Ross has a beautiful voice that suits the chorus well. I don't know if this was the best way to end the album but it sounds as if Talib was contemplating whether or not he wants to get out of a relationship or not. Maybe he was using a relationship as an analogy for having to end his CD.

All in all it is a great CD that I would recommend to hip hop lovers and haters alike. I don't know if I did that great of a job of describing the songs but I was kinda in a rush so I did the best I could.

9/10
    Last edited by QuietStorm; January 11th, 2003 at 8:29 AM.

Natural Born Thriller NightShade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good up-beat, like party song, B’more is a whore and she drops the N Bomb a couple of times, she’s white though
    No, she's not. I mean, she's light and all, but white? No.

Simon
    Charli B is the worst female rapper I've ever heard

Underground
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the record I didnt write this, but I agree with it.

Mos def and Talib kweli are Blackstar

Pros
    The near perfect hip hop CD

Cons
    A little short

The Bottom Line
    If you are a hip hop fan, it would be a crime not to buy this. End of story.

Full Review

God, it’s good. It’s spectacular, wonderful, brilliant, amazing, the kind of thing that only comes around once a decade that you just cannot miss. Mere adjectives cannot describe how incredible this is. What is it? It’s Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Blackstar, and it will be setting the standard for the next 10 years. Don’t believe me? Read on...

Both of these two talented individuals from New York have been rocking it since back in the day. Many of us remember ‘Fortified Live’ and ‘Universal magnetic’, both of which were classic cuts, but it was only in 1997 that the two came together to do an album. Put simply, it is the ultimate partnership. Kweli possesses a unique style of rhyming, and although you he doesn’t have a hugely powerful voice and flow, his lyrics, which contain witty metaphors and quick vocal punch-lines, more than make up for it. Mos Def on the other hand has a completely unique bubbly voice, with which he can use to great effect on the mic. His lyrics are poignant, vicious, funny and moving all at the same time. But what makes all this work is that Def and Kweli complement each other perfectly - there is no mismatching, no “who’s that rapping?”, no mix ups as in other partnerships like Mobb Deep. It is, quite simply, brilliant.

Next up, it is time to talk about the tracks. This is where I can safely say that the old pitfall of every great album having one or two filler or throwaway tracks is finally put to rest. Put simply, out of the thirteen tracks on this album, there is no filler. There is no
    track where the quality slips a bit. Every single one, it’s own unique way, is a classic.

Now, I could go on and on about how brilliant each track is, but there are a few serious stand-outs out of the myriad of classics that deserve recognition.

‘Astronomy (8th Light)’ is the first stand-out track that get’s your head nodding. Def and Kwe freestyle over a chilled, spaced-out beat, provided by the oh-so talented DJ Hi Tek, and it kicks off the album perfectly. Next up is the unbelievable ‘Definition’. Remember the ‘P is still free’ beat? You guessed it. Hi Tek again works his magic, and armed with fiery lyrics and one of the catchiest, most ingenious choruses ever, the beat and the modified BDP chorus are just brilliant. One listen, and you’ll know what I’m talking about.

On ‘Children’s Story’, Mos Def shows us how he can easily hold it down alone. Shawn J Period and Mos pay homage to Slick Rick as Mos rips a rad story over a funky beat. Then, on ‘B Boys will be Boys’, Mos and Kweli represent for Rock Steady, Zulu Nation and all the worlds’ breakers over a classic break-beat. On ‘Hater Players’, they flip the concept of being labelled a hater, while at the same time taking a stand against commercial rap.

However, what is probably the best track on the album is the Common-featured ‘Respiration’. Here, over a chilled guitar and soft base, and backed by a Spanish woman whispering, which Tek again masterfully orchestrates, the three potent MCs all break down the ‘organism’ of a city, and it’s different moods and environments. In the years to come, they will celebrate this as one of the all time classics.

They tackle the issue of how blacks live there lives in modern society in the quiet ‘Thieves in the Night’, which uses a passage from ‘The Bluest Eye’ by black author Toni Morrison. They break down a cipher with fellow underground MCs Punch, Wordsworth and Jane Doe on ‘Twice Inna Lifetime’. They do a brilliant ode to a beautiful woman with ‘Brown Skin Lady’. Quite simply, this is brilliant. Production from Hi Tek, J. Rawls of the Lone Catalysts, Shawn J. period, 88 Keys and Geology, coupled with the
    dynamic duo’s brilliance make every cut an instant favourite. 13 cuts - every one a classic. Not many artists could pull that off until now.

Unfortunately, this is where the only problem with this amazing album lies. It is only thirteen tracks. It’s just too short, just when you are into it, feeling it, loving it, it all ends. You are left, like Oliver Twist, wailing “please sir, I want some more” When there is a sequel (oh, please, oh please) let’s hope that this get’s addressed as if they can do this again, only longer, we would end up with the ultimate hip hop album.

The thing above all others that makes this album unique, aside from the tracks, rhymes etc. is the fact that it is unique. There is nothing like it, and there never will be nothing like it again. It is effortlessly underground, yet still manages to give us a whole spectrum of songs from the bangers (‘Definition’ ) to the love jams (‘Brown Skin Lady’) to meaningful social comment (‘Thieves in the Night’) all of which is put together with a measure of care that is, in this day and age, truly heartwarming - just check the CD sleeve to see what I mean.

What more is there to say? Rhymes? Beautiful. Production? Flawless. Flow? Slick. Length?...Ok, I know. That aside, Def and Kweli have taken the status quo of hip hop, turned it upside down, spun it around and redecorated it, with unbelievable results. Blackstar were, are and will be the most talented duo in hip hop, and until they drop a sequel, nothing will surpass this. Blackstar, please keep shining!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charli B is the worst female rapper I've ever heard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Webbicho
    But what makes all this work is that Def and Kweli complement each other perfectly - there is no mismatching, no “who’s that rapping?”, no mix ups as in other partnerships like Mobb Deep. It is, quite simply, brilliant. [/B]

I never had a problem distinguishing between Prodigy and Havoc. I think they both have too unique voices. And Prodigy has got to have the coolest voice ever in rap. At least until he fell off and tried to sound harder than he had any business doing on Infamy. Great review though.

AlphaBrennino
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats the point in posting the reviews of other sites?

Underground
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because.

Its a good review

May or may not start conversation. And if you're stumped for a good album to download it might help.

Whats the point of writing your own when some other cunt says it 20 times better?

Simon
    I see what Brennan is saying though Webbicho...the point of this place is to get reviews from people who are unbiased, and because you correspond with people more often on here than with the reviewers on RapReviews or wherever...I mean, for example, if Brennan was to say 'hey man this album is great so it is' then I'm more trusting of his opinion, based on previous experience, than the guy on another site who I've never spoken to before. Personally I'd prefer reviews only by people on the boards, but that said, I've no problem with posting outsider reviews as long as you make it obvious that it's not your work.

Simon
    Nas - It Was Written

Album Intro - sucks. i h8 skits and intros 4 life.

The Message - BEATS BEATS BEATS. The beat is just instantly recognisable as Nas, for me...beautifully chilled, which is a good thing even moreso than usual, as it allows for the lyrics to take the foreground. A very socially-conscious song, with a variety of themes from terrorism to lost friends...nice. Nas is, as always, on point. Great beat + great lyrics + great flow = great song.

Street Dreams - Where the Nas/2pac controversy began. Pac says Nas was stealing his style, and this is one of the few pieces of genuine evidence of it - the beat is the same as 2pac's 'All Eyez On Me'. Personally, I think Nas does a far better job, as Pac's lyrics were off on his song (which was weird, seeing as it was the title track of the first ever double-disc of hip-hop - see Brennino's review of 'All Eyez On Me'). Nas rips up the mic as per usual, and there's little else to say...this is a great song about life on the streets. Nice.

***1/2

I Gave You Power - Well, they say that genius is on the borderline of idiocy, and cool is on the borderline of uncool - this song crosses the borderline of chilled and into boring. Dull and repetitive beat couples with Nas' somewhat off-form but still decent lyrics. His unusually hyped delivery is a nice change and in a way saves the song, as hearing Nas try a different style diverts you from the dull beat. Almost. Utterly shocked that Premier produced this crappy beat. This is an average song. For Nas, average is very poor.

*1/2

Watch Dem Niggaz - Filler, IMO. Not terrible, but immediately forgettable. 'Don't mess with me, or you'll die, etc, etc'. Usual gangsta stuff, though Nas unsurprisingly drops better than the majority of his peers rapping about the same stuff.

**1/2

Take It In Blood - Excellent performance by Nas and another nice, chilled beat make for a great song. However, the sample on the chorus sucks a giant ass, and Nas' lyrics are somewhat juvenile at times (something about a butthole ...). I'll make one point right now - some of the beats early in this album sound a little samey

Nas Is Coming - Nice beat, great flow, samey lyrics again. Disappointing.

Affirmative Action - Nice lazy Spanish guitar on the beat and AZ and Nas rip it up. I really hope AZ is there when I SEE NAS AT ASTORIA ON FEBRUARY 5TH! . One of the better songs on the album. Nas is the star, unsurprisingly.

***1/2

Set Up - Dull beat, saved by Nas' supreme ability to RAP. The guy is just incredible. Lucky really, this album would probably begin to linger around this point if Nas didn't constantly draw you back in just when your finger is on the off button.

Black Girl Lost - One of the few uses of a decent chorus on the album...I guess it's not Nas' style to have too many commercial sounding tracks on one album. One of the more meaningful songs on the album, about women's struggle and how they can fight back. The beat is lazy but in a good way, and Nas is class, even by his own high standards. Greatness.

Suspects - Blah, basically. Not a fan of this whatsoever. BLAH I SAYS.

*1/2

Shootouts - Amazing how two beats can sound so similar, yet one can sound infinitely better than the other. I ALWAYS get the beginnings of this and Set Up confused. Until the piano loop drops, and I just say "GOOD", because this simply craps all over Set Up. The guest appearances suck on this album, where they rule on Set Up and Affirmative Action, but this time the beat saves the artist, where more often than not it's the artist Nas saving a poor beat.

Live Nigga Rap - Great stuff. After a couple of average songs, this brings Nas' ability to your attention. Quality. Beat is cool as well. When you get a nice beat and Nas is on form, and put them together, you get a classic song...it's not hard to get. Pity it happens elss often on this album than it does on Stillmatic, Illmatic or God's Son.

***1/2

If I Ruled The World - Saved the best til last. Everyone knows this song. I already said that great beat, great lyrics plus great delivery = great song...add Lauryn Hill into the mix and you have a genuine classic. The piano roll, the chorus, the ill-as-all-hell delivery...beautiful. Uplifting, inspirational song as well. This is what all hip-hop should be, and what all respectable hip-hop artists aspire to be. That this song can appeal to the clubbers as well as hip-hop heads and fans of simple fantastic lyrics shows it's quality. Great ending to the album, this song could, IMO, grace any album in the world and not look out of place. I'll end this review by saying that, in terms of hip-hop, Nas DOES rule the world at the moment.

****1/2

The great beginning and ending to this album belie the dull patch in the middle, but I'm reviewing this as a fan of Nas. An objective opinion would probably make me consider this a fantastic album, but when compared to Illmatic and his two most recent releases, it's a little behind. Put it this way, this is an album of superb beats, impeccable delivery and on-point lyrics. But he can do better.

7/10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One and a half stars for I gave you power?!?

Thats a classic dammit!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by UMDeepTerp
    Talib Kweli "Quality"

1. Keynote Speaker

Dave Chapelle introduces Talib Kweli in his usual hilarious self. Pretty good intro I guess with the highlight being Chapelle calling Talib a "3-time Nobel Peace Prize Winner"
    "tha nigga that made the Nike Swoosh..."

Underground
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nas - It Was Written

Album Intro - sucks. i h8 skits and intros 4 life.

The Message - BEATS BEATS BEATS. The beat is just instantly recognisable as Nas, for me...beautifully chilled, which is a good thing even moreso than usual, as it allows for the lyrics to take the foreground. A very socially-conscious song, with a variety of themes from terrorism to lost friends...nice. Nas is, as always, on point. Great beat + great lyrics + great flow = great song.

True great beat mad story. This actually pissed off Tupac, he thought the 'fake thug' shit was directed at him and he thought when Nas was talking about checking himself out of the hospitial was Nas trying to lie that he did what Tupac did. Nas claims he was doing this story as a tribute to his friend that it happened to.

Street Dreams - Where the Nas/2pac controversy began. Pac says Nas was stealing his style, and this is one of the few pieces of genuine evidence of it - the beat is the same as 2pac's 'All Eyez On Me'. Personally, I think Nas does a far better job, as Pac's lyrics were off on his song (which was weird, seeing as it was the title track of the first ever double-disc of hip-hop - see Brennino's review of 'All Eyez On Me'). Nas rips up the mic as per usual, and there's little else to say...this is a great song about life on the streets. Nice.

***1/2
    This is a good song, the last verse in one of his most remixed verse along with blaze a 50 and nastradamus(sp?). I was under the impression the death row camp gave him rights to use the beat, only coz later in the album he talks about 'n**** is stealing beats and shit' I might be wrong tho... Nas is often first to contradict himself... good thing he can rap

I Gave You Power - Well, they say that genius is on the borderline of idiocy, and cool is on the borderline of uncool - this song crosses the borderline of chilled and into boring. Dull and repetitive beat couples with Nas' somewhat off-form but still decent lyrics. His unusually hyped delivery is a nice change and in a way saves the song, as hearing Nas try a different style diverts you from the dull beat. Almost. Utterly shocked that Premier produced this crappy beat. This is an average song. For Nas, average is very poor.

*1/2
    Na. Its a mad premo beat, and the lyrics are on point. Nas talks about his life as a gun and how he has little control over his life. He even talks about when he gets fed up, jams, his owner dies and the someone else picks him over. Very very good song. GRIMEY

4 mics

Watch Dem Niggaz - Filler, IMO. Not terrible, but immediately forgettable. 'Don't mess with me, or you'll die, etc, etc'. Usual gangsta stuff, though Nas unsurprisingly drops better than the majority of his peers rapping about the same stuff.

**1/2
    I agree I guess
    Take It In Blood - Excellent performance by Nas and another nice, chilled beat make for a great song. However, the sample on the chorus sucks a giant ass, and Nas' lyrics are somewhat juvenile at times (something about a butthole ...). I'll make one point right now - some of the beats early in this album sound a little samey

Classic song, mad beat, great lyrics - the chorus rules ( i made it like that i want it like that I live it like that.... for... you wack emcees) Very catchy, and alot of creative lyrics. I disagree that the beats are sounding the same - message street dream I gave you power, all of those songs have a definite beat... not simalar at all
    Nas Is Coming - Nice beat, great flow, samey lyrics again. Disappointing.

Agreed. Nas should stay off dre beats.
    Affirmative Action - Nice lazy Spanish guitar on the beat and AZ and Nas rip it up. I really hope AZ is there when I SEE NAS AT ASTORIA ON FEBRUARY 5TH! . One of the better songs on the album. Nas is the star, unsurprisingly.

***1/2
    I dunno if Nas is the star.. he has the shortest verse. Mega and AZ rip it up and Foxy drops a good verse for her. Nas's verse it great too (refrains from writing the lyrics) Probably the best firm song...bar maybe phone tap

Suspects - Blah, basically. Not a fan of this whatsoever. BLAH I SAYS.

*1/2
    Classic song, cant belive you dont like it, I've been trying the last little while to find a program to turn the bass up. The beat is mad the story is mad.

3 1/2

Shootouts - Amazing how two beats can sound so similar, yet one can sound infinitely better than the other. I ALWAYS get the beginnings of this and Set Up confused. Until the piano loop drops, and I just say "GOOD", because this simply craps all over Set Up. The guest appearances suck on this album, where they rule on Set Up and Affirmative Action, but this time the beat saves the artist, where more often than not it's the artist Nas saving a poor beat.

Theres only about 3 lines in that songs that aren't Nas, and they work well. I want to hear Tony Starks and Raekwon on this beat coz they would tear shit up. I don't think the beat saves him it just complements Nas as Nas does the beat. Which is a great FTR.
    Live Nigga Rap - Great stuff. After a couple of average songs, this brings Nas' ability to your attention. Quality. Beat is cool as well. When you get a nice beat and Nas is on form, and put them together, you get a classic song...it's not hard to get. Pity it happens elss often on this album than it does on Stillmatic, Illmatic or God's Son.

***1/2
    Dude the last couple of songs ruled. are you on about? I really disagree man, this album is better than stillmatic easy in my opinion. And most of the songs have been classic east coast bangers. I agree its a good song, but its behind I gave you power and others.

If I Ruled The World - Saved the best til last. Everyone knows this song. I already said that great beat, great lyrics plus great delivery = great song...add Lauryn Hill into the mix and you have a genuine classic. The piano roll, the chorus, the ill-as-all-hell delivery...beautiful. Uplifting, inspirational song as well. This is what all hip-hop should be, and what all respectable hip-hop artists aspire to be. That this song can appeal to the clubbers as well as hip-hop heads and fans of simple fantastic lyrics shows it's quality. Great ending to the album, this song could, IMO, grace any album in the world and not look out of place. I'll end this review by saying that, in terms of hip-hop, Nas DOES rule the world at the moment.

****1/2
    Hear the song - NOW. 'trips to paris I civilised every savage' etc Classic song with incredible lyrics. Read above.

The great beginning and ending to this album belie the dull patch in the middle, but I'm reviewing this as a fan of Nas. An objective opinion would probably make me consider this a fantastic album, but when compared to Illmatic and his two most recent releases, it's a little behind. Put it this way, this is an album of superb beats, impeccable delivery and on-point lyrics. But he can do better.

7/10
    This is his third best - after illmatic and godson, Classic album to drop when he did.

4 and 1/3 mics Classic.
    Last edited by Webbicho; January 18th, 2003 at 12:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I still believe that I Am... is his 2nd best album after Illmatic with Stillmatic and God's Son a close third and fourth. I Am... just offered everything he had to give in my opinion.

Underground
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its good isn't it

We will survive, ghetto prisoners, nas is like, dr knockboot, NY state of mind 2, small world, favor for a favor

I dont skip tracks on It was written, but I skip a couple on I am sometimes. :shrug: Its hard for any music to be "better" coz its all about moods. Sometimes you dont want to hear something lyrical....

Underground
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coming soon....

J-live - All of the above

Quite possibly going to be a copy paste review

Stay tuned
    Last edited by Webbicho; January 18th, 2003 at 5:40 AM.

Underground
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see what Brennan is saying though Webbicho...the point of this place is to get reviews from people who are unbiased, and because you correspond with people more often on here than with the reviewers on RapReviews or wherever...I mean, for example, if Brennan was to say 'hey man this album is great so it is' then I'm more trusting of his opinion, based on previous experience, than the guy on another site who I've never spoken to before. Personally I'd prefer reviews only by people on the boards, but that said, I've no problem with posting outsider reviews as long as you make it obvious that it's not your work.
    rapreviews.com suck

They gave Blueprint 2 the second best album of 2002...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rapreviews.com suck

Exactly. A lot of their top 15 sucked in my opinion. And where in the blue hell was Canibus???

Underground
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think allhiphop.com gave him top underground artist of the year, I'm checking it now... computer is going slow but

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got All Of The Above by J-Live, tight fucking album, I may do a review as wel just to compare

Underground
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a rapper.

You say tight album, hell yeh I agree man where the fuck did j live come from? I heard one song on a mix tape like a month ago and im like fuuuck. Now I'm 14 songs through downloading his lp.

Lots of nice new rappers popping up lately

/me is going to feel like a newjack if j live is old

Simon
    J Live is funny as hell. I'm pretty sure he's newish, been around (in the public/internet eye) for about a year or so.

You know what, I may be talking about J Zone I'm talking about the guy who did the song about 'Presidential America' or something.

Simon
    Yer, J Zone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    J Zone's a beast of an underground MC, quality, whats the name of that song by him....

fuck I can't remember, proper badass song with some mad vocal sample in, arrrgh, The Trojan War or something.

AlphaBrennino
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rapreviews.com suck

I think Steve 'Flash' Joan (sp?) knows his hip-hop and 90% of his reviews are fairly accurate.

Simon
    DJ Fatboy is best

Underground
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Steve 'Flash' Joan (sp?) knows his hip-hop and 90% of his reviews are fairly accurate.
    I listen to hiphop not critics. Thus I dont remember names of reviewers and shit. I'm sure theres more than one reviewer at rapreviews. But if he's the dude in charge of giving blueprint number 2 album of 2002, I ain't taking his word.

And because the website as a whole went on record and gave jigga 2nd, I say fuck it on a whole.

Simon
    You realise that Blueprint actually rules? I mean, I don't rate Jay Z at all, but that album is class...have you heard all of it? If he'd taken the best of each CD and put it onto one CD, it would be a true classic hip-hop album.

AlphaBrennino
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I listen to hiphop not critics. Thus I dont remember names of reviewers and shit. I'm sure theres more than one reviewer at rapreviews. But if he's the dude in charge of giving blueprint number 2 album of 2002, I ain't taking his word.

And because the website as a whole went on record and gave jigga 2nd, I say fuck it on a whole.
    There is more than one reviewer at rapreviews.com, but he is the main one. Like I said, I think it is a fairly accurate website where they give good reviews, because I actually use their reviews as an actual guide as to what is next on my buy list does not make me any less of a hip hop fan than yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh rapreviews is good, I use most of their shit as a guidline to my purchase's

Underground
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You realise that Blueprint actually rules? I mean, I don't rate Jay Z at all, but that album is class...have you heard all of it? If he'd taken the best of each CD and put it onto one CD, it would be a true classic hip-hop album.
    dude, I said Blueprint 2, the gift and the curse

I forgot to write the 2 in my second post, but if you were paying attention you would have known I was talking about the second one. Blueprint 2 is NOT all class.

There is more than one reviewer at rapreviews.com, but he is the main one. Like I said, I think it is a fairly accurate website where they give good reviews, because I actually use their reviews as an actual guide as to what is next on my buy list does not make me any less of a hip hop fan than yourself.
    Did I say it made you less of shit? I personally read four or five different reviews before I buy a cd I'm not sure about. I read a review the other day that gave disposable arts by Masta Ace 2/5. Good reason to read around.

So like I said: Because the website as a whole went on record and gave jigga 2nd(for the gift and the curse), I say fuck it on a whole.

That might not be justified. Oh well.

Lets go back a bit.

Rapreviews is shit

Brennino said
    Good for you.

Simon
    I was talking about Blueprint 2.

AlphaBrennino
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder what brought you into the rap review thread.

Sad cunts.
    The fact is, you are willing to simply dismiss a site based on one decision of ranking Blueprint 2 a good album... a widespread popular agreement amongst rap fans (although not myself). That in itself is sad.

Simon
    The only problem I have with RapReviews is that they haven't reviews DJ Shadow's 'Endtroducing'. I was planning on reviewing it myself and sending it to them, but I can't really be arsed...and it's really hard to evaluate an album which is solely beats and no lyrics

Underground
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact is, you are willing to simply dismiss a site based on one decision of ranking Blueprint 2 a good album... a widespread popular agreement amongst rap fans (although not myself). That in itself is sad.
    They ranked it the 2nd best album of 2002. Thats not just saying it is a good album. Because they did that I wrote the website off, that is true.

But the fact is I acknowledged that was unjustified.
    Last edited by Simon; January 24th, 2003 at 5:57 AM.

Underground
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meanwhile...

Tash: Rap life Question. Does anyone know if the cd version of 'g'z is g'z' is the one with just him and Kurrupt? Or is it meant to be the one with Snoop and Xzibit too?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talib Kweli "Quality"

1. Keynote Speaker

Great intro, but not as cool as Chapelle's work on Reflection Eternal. Something about Nelson Mandela saying he digs Kweli like that just cracks me up.

Oh, and I gotta go with "Gun Music" as my favorite on this album...I'm really digging it lately, for some reason.

Just thought I'd reply...I've been keeping track of this thread, seeing that I've been going through major hip-hop phase (mostly Wu-Tang, GZA, Nas, Black Star, J5, etc) lately ... so keep reviewing albums, you crazy kids.

That's all I got...take it easy.

bear force one
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Underground
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go hack!

AlphaBrennino
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you miss the part where he said take it to PMs?

mOBSCENE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Suno

fuck I can't remember, proper badass song with some mad vocal sample in, arrrgh, The Trojan War or something.
    The one about STD's or whatever? yeah, it's trojan war. Inauguration day is pretty good too, if you never heard it.

Simon
    Right, cleared up. No more bullshit, lads (and lasses, wherever they are )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the new roots album is probably the best release this year. they experiment with a lot of different influences and they only did it with one MC this time.

*waits for gang starr's album to drop*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have to respectfully disagree with the spanish announce table. But that is because personally I like Malik B more than Black Thought and hopefully he will come back strong on the next album. I still did love this album though and all the different stuff they did with it. Canibus' MiClub: The Curriculum is still my favorite release but remember I have a very jaded opinion. After that, I'd say either God's Son or Daz Dillinger's "This is the Life I Lead" (also a jaded opinion).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got the entire retail version of 50 Cent's "Get Rich Or Die Tryin" if anyone is interested. I might give a brief synopsis of it sometime tomorrow or the next day if I feel it is worthy of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U d/l that shit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it just leaked today. You could probably get it off of MIRC or Hip Hop Jukebox. Or you could follow the law and buy it.

Simon
    It's not out here for ages...got a tracklist I could download from?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have to respectfully disagree with the spanish announce table. But that is because personally I like Malik B more than Black Thought and hopefully he will come back strong on the next album. I still did love this album though and all the different stuff they did with it. Canibus' MiClub: The Curriculum is still my favorite release but remember I have a very jaded opinion. After that, I'd say either God's Son or Daz Dillinger's "This is the Life I Lead" (also a jaded opinion).
    yeah, the album was missing Malik B, but it didnt show too much. Thought, it sounds like, worked harder to try and cover up any weaknesses

Flow
    It's not out here for ages...got a tracklist I could download from?
    I dunno if they got it, but I get all ma tracklists from

http://www.gracenote.com/

Underground
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I go to Amazon.com... they have playlists, album covers, and teasers.

But I never buy shit

Simon
    Me too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr. Lil One - The 13th Skorn

One more underground mexican rapper. This guy Mr. Lil One is a hot rapper. he drops hot shit with hot lyrics and beats. This is an odd CDif you like dark, evil rap. MR. Lil One has a f-ing hot style. He has a couple CD's out Karma, Condolences, Voices, The 13th Skorn, The Sickos. Karma is a dammn hot cd. But thats for another review (probably).

Mr. Lil one is another rapper out of San Diego repping what he calls the "Triple Six One Nine" Of course all of you guys know what the 619 is thanks to Rey Mysterio. But Lil one has been reppin it for a long time showing by his Discoghrapy you can see.
    Anyways The Skorn is an awesome CD that has dark evil rap. Lil one has a style most will like. I know with the proper exposure and aybe toning down some of his stuuf he could be big. But most people shoould check this out. If you're outside the U.S just download the whole CD. Why not.

1. Suppose To - A great intro track with a hot evilish kind of beat that goes along with his dark lyrics. This shows you what to expect on this CD.
    2. Loddy Doddy - He likes to party pretty simple beat with an evil sounding effects. Pretty tight. His evil lyrics come into effect in this one
    3. Feeling - This one starts of with some Ministry Undertaker type talking Devil chanting (but talking so to speak). Which should pretty much tell you about this guy. He talks about how evil he is. OOOOOOhhhh spooky. Hot beat hot song.
    4. Voices 2 - Sequel to the song Voices. The chorus aint great but the lyrics are sick as fuck if you're into evil shit. ( Gameover to begin liking rap?) Check out the first Voices for some eeeeeeeeeevvvvvvillllllll shit. After all this song is about the "Voices" in his head.
    5. Bomb Threat - Ronald don't like that much.
    6. All my Love - Alright beat with a Paris type evil beat . To his fans. He raps fast in this song. I prefer the other Lil One style.
    7. Dead- I like this song "he wants you dead" basis of this song. Featuring some other guy. Hot beat. Basicilly you'll be tallking shit but not to his face but he'll hear your ass talking in your sleep. Ooooooh Spooky.
    8. Stay With Me - A song to a female. Hot Lyrics Decent beat. "Stay with me never leave, Stay with me help my breathe, Stay with me help me be the best of a man tha I can be"
    9. Don't Sleep - Fuck these Ho's is the basis of the song. It samples some song but I forgot which one. This song is a transition from evil to ho songs. Well actually 8 was. But anyways.
    Alright song.
    10. Nicklebags - This song should be any so called "players" anthem. Tlks about what a Nicklebag is. ME and my homies always use this word to describe well, a Nicklebag. Check it out. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT Song.
    Different from his typical style though.
    11. Lipstick - Another song to "bitches" and "hos". What the fuck was he thinking.
    12. Lets Ride - Don't like.
    13. Dago - Lets show you how we do this in Dago..... er .... San Diego. Hot song kind of dark but not.

Well now that I'm done reviewing each and every song. Only 13. . I'll tell you 9 out of those 13 songs are pretty good to excellent. 2 of the other 4 are alright. the other 2 is was he thinking. This CD is dark but not as dark as Voices or Karma or an of his other CD's for that matter. It's still a hot CD. Just his other stuff is darker. Maybe he is beginning the transition to maistream. I really like this CD. If you're not in a place where you can "BUY" this CD Download it. You WILL like it, or at least some of it if your into to dark stuff.

7.5/10

DJ BreastMilk
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to buy 50 cent's cd today and fuckin thing was SOLD OUT Everywhere I went. This guy is blowing up already. I have never went to buy a cd and found it to be sold out. This is insane.

16x
    i got 50 cent new album, it comes with a documentary on dvd, its like an hour long, oh yeah, good album

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I think the album is decent and has some good tracks for the clubs and such. But it did not live up to the hype or Dre saying it would be a guaranteed classic. Yeah the beats are arguably better but his lyrics have way watered down. Power of the Dollar and Guess Who's Back are much better albums IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody likes me....

Nobdy like me but thats OK, cos I dont like y'all anyway, FUCK ALL YALL!!!!

MURRRRDERRRR!!!!! I dont believe you! MURRRRDERRR!!!! Fuck around and leave ya!!! MURRRDERRRR!!!! I Dont Believe you! MURDER! MURDER! YA LIFES ON THE LINE!!

Guess Whos Backs the muts, im still gonna cop this shit though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i also had a problem finding "Get rich or die tryin"

first i went over to Sam Goody. where it was sold out, then i tried Coconuts..where they only had the album without the DVD ..but i ended up gettin it anyway

BTW..anyone else feelin the trakks "What up gangsta" &
    "Back Down"?!?

GGG-UNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by DGAF; February 10th, 2003 at 1:43 PM.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picked up the new 50 Cent a few days ago, so here's a quick review.

The album is definetly hot, with production being its strongest point. Dre and Em lay down some good beats, and the tracks with other producers are also tight. However, 50 is not a really great rapper, but he does have a smooth flow and comes with pretty dope (although simple) lyrics. Favorite tracks: Many Men, 21 Questions, Patiently Waiting, Back Down.

Overall score: 8/10

Flow
    I downloaded God's Son today, quick review...

Good album, it's certainly different from Stillmatic. "The Cross" and "Dance" are both just great songs; I prefer 2Pac's version of "Thugz Mansion" from Better Dayz to Nas' remix but it's still a good songs. I think there are a couple of songs on there that aren't "all that", but with tracks like "Heaven" and "I Can" in there as well it's an album well worth buying or getting the cheap way.

8.5/10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does anyone have the release dates for Killer Mike or Freeway?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Monster comes out March 11th