User Tag List

Page 4 of 137 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Hip Hop Discussion/Album Review Thread.

Gabriel Agbonlahor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by spanish announce table
    Who else is excited for this new outkast album? the format is andre and big boi solo joints combined into a double album. Sounds hot

damn, damn, damn, James..........
    Yeah?

I've only got the Stankonia album, and I really like it.

S'pose I'll have to wait until it's released before people can comment on whether its worth purchasing or not.

Also, can we try to cut down on the spam/flaming in this thread please gentleman?

I know I don't mod this forum, but still, this is for album reviews, people don't want to woft through page after page of bullshit.

Giving him the business. QuietStorm's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got Daz Dillinger's DPGC U Know What I'm Throwing Up yesterday. Maybe I'll do a review for it in the next couple days.

Down for the gitdown spanish announce table's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    R.I.J, get ATLiens. Thats my favorite Outkast album

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new Cunninlynguists album is amazingly good. There are no bad songs on there. I would advise everyone to check it out. Came out on April 1st. "Southernunderground" is the name.

As for the Daz, there are some quality songs on there as well. The production is solid for the most part although I am disappointed that Daz produced nothing. "All Night Long", "Round N Round We Go", "The World So Cold" and the title track are personal favorites. Not as good overall as "This Is the Life I Lead" though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of Daz I got The Dogg Pound 2002 along with MystiKal - Unpredictable and some Joe CD, all thre at a total of 18 squids.

The DPG album bangs, Gangsta Rap with Crooked I is immense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    R.I.J, get ATLiens. Thats my favorite Outkast album
    Hell, yes. Stankonia might be the masterstroke, but ATLiens is just as good. Plus, you don't have to put up with 45 random interludes, of which only two or three aren't annoying.

At least download "ATLiens" and "Mainstream."

hed
    ATLiens was the best imo

Nottingham's finest
    Camden, Norf London <--> Lenton, Nottingham
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    /me gets all nostalgic from the OutKast talk and throws on Aquemini

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aquemini is the best I reckon. ATLiens I got a bit tired of listening to but its still great. 13th Floor/growing old, Jazzy belle and Mainsteam are the good on that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody ever talks about "Wailin" and "Babylon". These tracks are too slept on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn this thread is dead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    July 22nd will liven things up a bit, eh STA? Rip the Jacker!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    July 22nd? I thought it was early-mid September? Seriously though, this album better live up to the hype.

*Listens to "Laust Laugh"*

Underground
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Flow
    That's not really "hos" then is it?

Hos would be Thug N U Thug N Me, How Do U Want It, Wonda Why They Call U Bitch, etc, etc.

The song isn't about women, so I'd disagree.

I know what you're trying to say though mate, a lot of the rhymes could be re-used in songs about hos...but I stand by my statement that the song is solely about his gun.

Wonda why they call you bitch I would not put under ho's tho. Its too serious and its talking about female problems not how good it is to fuck a female with a nice ass.

AlphaBrennino
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Common: Resurrection.

If you are a new Common fan, who just loves Electric Circus, throw it aside and go and pick up this album. There are songs for everyone on this album and it is without doubt Common's best work. Produced by, at the time, the relatively unknown No ID, his beats blend brilliantly with the style and flow of Common. On this album Common shows all signs of why he is such a great MC. Tight rhymes, fantastic breath contol and a chilled out, relaxed voice.

east side of Stony.
    1. resurrection. Starts of with some heavy scratching and a piano tune in the background. Fast paced song in which Common flows over the beat with ease. Uses various methaphors and nice analogies in this song, among which "my style is too developed to be arrested". Nice way to introduce you to the tone and style of this album, both production-wise and lyrically.

2. i used to love h.e.r. All time classic within the hip-hop genre. If you have never heard this song, where have you been really? The idea/concept and style of this song still amazes me today. The first time hearing this song, you listen to the lyrics and think Common is rapping about the first girl he ever loved, then the last line of the song revels to us that he was rapping about hip-hop all along. If it is possible to form a hip-hop top ten for singles (probably not), this song easily makes the cut.

3. watermelon. When looking at the back of this album, you do see several strangly titled tracks. This is one of these songs. A kid talks over the beginning of this song, pretty fastish beat which Common flows over nicely again. Several funny and witty metaphors and similies used in this song, "I stand out like a nigga on a hockey team" for example. Nice track and nice beat with Common coming strong on lyrics again.

4. book of life. Typical scratched chorus for this song, which No Id makes the norm throughout this album. The beat is more slow but this doesn't stop Common from meshing rhymes in with one another. Several samples also used in the chorus. Decent song, yet again can't fault Common's flow.

5. in my own world (check the method). Mista Sinister does the scratching for this joint. Mainly because No Id actually lays down a verse on this song. The songs starts off with bells making up the tune, but then they suddenly stop and we hear Common rasping over the microphone, with another totally different beat coming through the speakers. Pace of the album picks up again with this song after the slowish pace of book of life. I like this track, like I do most on this album. No Id actually flows pretty well but as usual Common steals the show with his second verse, but this is no shame. Common's lyrics are among the best for this album.

6. another wasted nite with... Pointless interlude really here. Common's homie leaves a message on his answering machine about the previous nights escapades with some woman. Breaks the momentum of the album up, only acts really as an introduction to the next joint on the album.

7. nuthin' to do. Chilled out beat again here, really chilled. Ol' Dirty Bastard sampled in the chorus and the pace of the album has picked up again after the previous filler track. This is the last song on the east side part of the album, and Common glides over the beat provided by No Id once again. Nice track.

west side of Stony.
    8. communism. Short track here, doesn't even clock 2 and a half minutes. This was a shame for me personally as I really like this track musically. Beat starts out distant with Common whispering over the microphone. The title is an obvious play on his name. Although Common's flow can't really be faulted here, lyrically I think it doesn't hit the same level as others on the album, but the beat makes up for this.

9. WMOE. Interlude. Nothing much to say. A DJ giving his shout out to Common and introducing the next track.

10. thisisme. Wow. Personally, this is easily in my top five all time Common songs. Basically Common talking about himself, hence the name of the song. Don't know how others feel about this joint, but I love it. KRS-One sample for the chorus and Common provides everything in this song, perfect flow, perfect breath control, perfect blend with the beat and he actually sings by the third verse. This song has an amazing beat and allows Common to just flow crazy on it. Behind i used to love h.e.r. this is the second best joint on the album (others will differ).

11. orange pineapple juice. This was one of those songs when looking at the back I wondered just what in the fuck was going on. Not my favourite song on the album. The best thing about this song is Common using an MC Hammer line, but thats about it for me. The beat is alright but Common seems to squeak through it a bit. Not a wack song, but not a great one.

12. chapter 13 (rich man vs. poor man). Song starts off paying homage to the I Got Soul acapella by Eric B. and Rakim. This joint features Ynot and picks the mood and pace of the album back up. The beat is fantastic and both Common and Ynot just bounce lyrics off each other. I absolutely love the I Got Soul tribute in this song. Cool trumpets and shit in the background.

13. maintaining. Fantastic piano loop throughout this joint, and tight beat to blend in with the piano loop. Again, Common's flow and lyrical deliverly can't really be faulted on this track. Nice track helping to maintain (forgive the pun) the strong end to the album.

14. sum sh*t i wrote. Piano greets us again at the beginning of this song. Pretty pro-black song here, with Common addressing a lot of racial issues. Slower song than the previous two, but this takes nothing away from the quality of it. This is the final Common track on the album and it leaves you feeling pleased with the money you've just spent.

15. pop's rap. This was the start to the long running series that finishes off Common's next two albums also (One Day It'll All Make Sense and Like Water For Chocolate). Pretty nice way to end of this album. Common's 'father' just telling a story, rhyimg his words at times over a nice laid back beat that has been the tone for the whole album.

Overall, if you don't have this album, you should have had it yesterday. It is an all time hip-hop classic and it is Common at his best. I liked One Day It'll All Make Sense, I liked his first release, Can I Borrow A Dollar? I loved Like Water For Choclate, but this album is his best and it saddens me when I hear Electric Circus. The sooner Common gets away from Okayplayer and ?uestlove the better, I think. He is Common, not Black Thought version 2.0. Although I enjoyed some cuts off Electric Circus, Common is at his best when he is flowing over a beat from the beginning and not having to wait a full minute, sometimes more on a track full of instruments, before he can actually begin rapping.

Rating = 10 out of 10.

Simon
    Should have internet access within the month, and I've bought a shiteload of CDs recently, reviews soon enough.

Ghostface Killah's 'Bulletproof Wallets' rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new Canibus single entitled 'Spartibus' is set to be released anytime now. And the Rip the Jacker album is officially set for a July 22nd release date.

Jedi Mind Tricks album 'Visions of Gandhi' will be released on August 26th and that will also be the starting date of the Canibus/JMT tour.

The summer of Bis is coming!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that information.

I copped the new IRS on monday...i might review it

AlphaBrennino
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not gonna do a review right now, but just to give this album major props.

Southernundergroud by Cunninlyguists. If you're an underground cat, or commercial... doesn't matter... check this album out. I can't listen to the joints of it enough.

Stand out tracks:
    - Seasons (featuring Masta Ace). Breaks the history of hip-hop into the four seasons of the year. Amazing lyrics.
    - The South. Possibly the craziest flute loop I've ever heard on a track.
    - Doin Alright. Unbelieveably deep track, second verse dealing with 9/11.
    - Oldschool. Some really cool lines in here. Nice concept for a song. "Right before R. Kelly had his teens and Slick Rick had his rings."

This album is so dope, you have to listen to it to appreciate it. Best drop this year thus far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes! I totally agree with you Brennino. I put this over a while back.

AlphaBrennino
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, my bad. Good lookin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whose heard of Chingy? Ugh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what do you guys think about Bone Thugs N Harmony? in my mind i think there the best rap group in history.. no questions asked!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bizzy was Bone. Without him they don't have nearly the same aura. Plus their last two albums were pretty horrible. E 1999 Eternal was a classic though.

AlphaBrennino
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best rap group in history?

Sorry there duke, but there are a lot better who have brought a lot more to the rap game and have made history themselves, namely... Public Enemy, OutKast, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Wu-Tang Clan, EPMD, The Roots... these are just some of the names that come of the top of my head.

Even currently, groups such as Jurassic 5 and Blacklicious are producing a hella lot better music than the likes of Thug World Order.

DJ BreastMilk
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just downloaded a Song called "DESPERADOS" by Nas and Cannibus. Tight shit..IM feeling it. Any recommendations on Cannibus tracks that have phat beats? He has tight lyrics in all his songs but some of the beats are lacking I have noticied.

AlphaBrennino
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know just why it is that The Horsemen suck so much? I mean with the four or five cats that are in it you would think they would have dropped some crazy material by now... but it just sucks.

El-Asso-Wipo... go and download "Beasts From The East."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone have a fucking clue as to when Crooked I's album is dropping, I been waiting for that shit scince like last August, fuck sakes Suge!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sources tell me that it will drop in August, no later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Fuck a beat, I've been rhyming for ages"

Canibus - Broke Ass
    Canibus - Get Off Ya Knees
    Canibus - 100 Bars
    Canibus - Rip Is Alive
    Canibus - 2000 B.C.
    Canibus - A Different Vibe In L.A.
    Canibus - Bis vs. Rip
    Canibus - Behind Enemy Rhymes
    Canibus - Box Cutter Blade Runner
    Canibus - Buckingham Palace
    Canibus - C Section
    Canibus - Cenoir Studies 02
    Canibus - Channel Zero
    Canibus - Tony Touch freestyle
    Canibus - Doomsday News
    Canibus - Dr. C PHD
    Canibus - Get Retarded
    Canibus - HIV is Gold, AIDS is Platinum
    Canibus/Horsemen - Horsementality
    Canibus - How We Roll
    Canibus - I Honor U
    Canibus/Rakim - I'll Buss 'Em U Punish 'Em
    Canibus - Indestructable
    Canibus - Last Laugh (2nd verse is my favorite Canibus verse ever)
    Canibus - Let's Ride
    Canibus/Jedi Mind Tricks - Liberal Arts
    Canibus - Lost @ 'C'
    Canibus/Common - Making A Name For Ourselves
    Canibus - Master Thesis
    Canibus - Mic-Nificent
    Canibus/Lost Boyz/Daz and Kurupt - Music Makes Me High
    Canibus - Patriots Remix
    Canibus - Poet Laureate
    Canibus - R U Lyrically Fit (just fast forward through the first 55 seconds of Luminati crap)
    Canibus - Rip Rock
    Canibus - Rip the Jacker
    Canibus - 2nd Round K.O.
    Canibus - The C-Quel
    Canibus - The Grand Deception
    Canibus - The Rip Off
    Canibus - U Didn't Care Remix
    Canibus - How Many MC's
    Canibus - Watch Who U Beef Wit
    Canibus - What's Going On
    Canibus - Who Owns You?
    Canibus - How Come
    Canibus/Horsemen - Horsemen Talk
    Canibus/Horsemen - Talkin Da Talk

...and countless other freestyles and such that I don't feel like naming.

Plus, on the new Ras Kass Catch Me If You Can bootleg album there is going to be a new Horsemen song on there. I'll probably get that off of mIRC tomorrow.

And the new Rip the Jacker album is going to be released July 22nd with all the production coming from Stoupe of Jedi Mind Tricks. It is being billed as having the illest battle rhymes ever recorded The first single off of it, "Spartibus", is expected to be released any day now.

Canibus truly is the greatest.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was around buying albums back then, and E1999 Eternal was probably the only "classic" album from that era I never really liked. The way they rap is amazin' like, but to me the beats were mainly all poor, and I didn't really like their lyrics much either. I only ever listen to 1st of tha month and budda lovas. And the good version of Crossroads wasn't even on it to begin with. I mean u had people like GZA, Rae and ODB, DJ premier, Mobb Deep, LL Cool J, Tha Dogg Pound, 2pac and the rest Death Row Records making probably the best albums & music ever imo and E1999 is bland compared to what else was coming out then.

AlphaBrennino
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canibus is truly the greatest?

Ha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Brennino
    Does anyone know just why it is that The Horsemen suck so much? I mean with the four or five cats that are in it you would think they would have dropped some crazy material by now... but it just sucks.

El-Asso-Wipo... go and download "Beasts From The East."
    Ive heard from Canibus and Killah Priest over a 2 year span that a Horsemen album is coming out. Damn labels. How do the horsemen suck? Have you heard "horsementality"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently someone important does have the album and is planning on releasing it on the internet sometime this summer as a BOOTLEG.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw an interview with Joe Buddens, and what he said just rang totally true about 'bis, it was along of the lines of this..

'Canibis was all up on the mix tapes, freestyling, and he totally tore the shit out of em, but when he came to putting together and making albums, he sucked'

Now thats what I'm saying....

FOCUS MAYYN!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah...because idiots like Joe Buddens have a nearsighted view of what albums are supposed to consist of. 3 out of 4 of Cani's albums have been majorly hot in my opinion. And we all know that CTHS was a parody of what ALL those idiots think is good music.

When Joe Buddens releases an album himself, I MAY consider giving thought to what he has to say. Until then, fuck him and the rest of the industry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LMAO, UMDeep, I respect your opinion and all, but stop riding canibis's nuts, he fucking sucks.

AlphaBrennino
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank fuck the whole hip-hop community isn't a Canibus dick rider. Suno hit the nail on the head... Canibus can come raw from time to time and he has some skill... but from what I've read here, you all act as if the dude is God. Two of his albums are among the most bland and boring I have ever heard and to be quite honest they are massive disappointments.

Canibus is not the rapper you people are making him out to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, pretty much everyone here can't stand him. Spanish Announce Table and I are the only two I know who treat like God.

Because he is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe Budden is tolerable, but I cant stand his fuckin 'jump off' in every other sentence. And isnt he a crack addict?

Im not a bis dick rider. I dont like all of his shit, but he can rip 99 percent of rappers and rarely comes wack.

as for his albums, first they wanted a battle album and he didnt give that, so he makes a battle album, and everyone calls him one dimensional

AlphaBrennino
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what was his excuse for 'C' True Hollywood Stories?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CTHS was a parody album of the type of rap music that is being put out today. Some tracks show that he didnt fall off (Boxcutter, R U lyrically fit?) But most of them were just weird. I didnt like this album though, so I'll leave it to UM to defend it

MicClub is the shit though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I can't fully defend CTHS. In my opinion, even though he knew what he was doing with it, the whole thing just seems like a waste of studio time. Plus it did not help his image one bit. The crap did sell 50,000+ copies though so it did help get MiClub Music off the ground. And like STA said, there were some hot tracks on there like the two he mentioned, plus The Rip Off, Lemme Hear Something Else, and A Different Vibe In LA. And that is more quality songs than almost all rappers have on their albums. It wasn't up to Canibus standards obviously but he did what he wanted to do at the time. And I respect that.

The guy is a major enigma no doubt but as far as true lyricism and battling goes, no one is on the same pedestal. Hate him all you want Suno and the rest of you bunch. 99 percent of you people could never understand anyways. So I am about ready to just stop trying. But all of you who have yet to hear MiClub should not be talking anyways.

Rip the Jacker...July 22nd. Give it a listen or I won't listen to your opinion.

I am tired from 10 hours of work and this was probably just a bunch of nonsensical rambling about a subject I care a lot about but oh well. Thanks for your time. Bubye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question: Is the album that "party up" by DMX appears on, any good? I forgot the name but I'd be interested in getting it because "Party Up" is now one of my favourite all time hip hop tunes

Cheers, all I need is someone to recommend it and I'll get it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It appears on 'And Then There Was......X', It's a nice album, typical DMX, as for party up being one of you all time fav hip hop tunes, I have to say you have shit taste.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't ask for your opinions on my taste, that song is catchy as hell and it's pretty much all I've been playing for the last two days.

Maybe not one of my top ten best hip hop songs of all time, but it's up there. The video is great as well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought that X album was kind of weak. His first 2 were MUCH better

AlphaBrennino
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decent enough album... but like sat said his first two were much better.

Party Up is alright to bump to once in a while. Also, contains a subtle diss to Eminem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the subtle diss in there was to Kurupt. Maybe there is another one, I dunno.

Well, DMX has regressed with each album. His first one was amazing and I have to say I haven't really liked any of the next three.

Nottingham's finest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard somewhere that the subtle diss was actually aimed at Kurrupt...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beat you to the punch there, Mr. XL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you please point out the diss in the song?
    I'm not a fan of Kurrupt so I can't pick it out

Cheers

AlphaBrennino
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it is then, I thought that the start of Marshall Matthers has a quick reply to it... but it works for Kurupt as well. So we'll go with the majority and say Kurupt. Then when actually listening to the track, Kurupt makes more sense what with dating Foxy at the time and her being pregnant.

Mule... the diss starts out with the line "You're wack, twisted, girl's a ho, you're broke, kid ain't yours and everybody know..."
    Or something along those lines, the exact words escape me as of now.

Anyways my bad.

AlphaBrennino
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On that note, has anybody heard Kurupt's diss towards Daz and Snoop on the new Death Row Symphony?

He raps: "Niggas act like bitches
    When they ain't true
    Before I say another word
    Motherfuck Snoop
    Dogghouse, eat a big Dogg Pound dick, nigga
    It's Gotti
    You ain't gon' pimp slap shit
    I'm cool, calm and I'm so collected
    And you niggas don't respect shit, nigga
    They call you Soopafly, I call you Soopacape
    Y'all niggas bring the guerillas I ate
    They call you Soopafly, I call you Soopabitch
    That love to eat snoopa doopa soopa dick
    Panties in a cake
    Let off pink panties
    I drink hennessey, motherfucker
    And I'm somebody you don't wanna see, motherfucker
    I'm looking in the streets and I see you niggas truents
    And I'm riding without Simon's influence, motherfucker"

Pretty weak diss. Sounds like he was rapping more as a Row artist than making it personal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mule... the diss starts out with the line "You're wack, twisted, girl's a ho, you're broke, kid ain't yours and everybody know..."
    Or something along those lines, the exact words escape me as of now.

Anyways my bad.

Ah, I see now.

Yeah...when you look at it like that they yeah it could be a pretty blatant diss

As for that diss towards Snoop - it's shite to be honest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kurupt is like the personification of Death Row, used to be hot as fuck, and everybody new, now he's just ass with no substance and everybody thinks he suck. Death Row rules, Tha Row is shit, Crooked I is on the wrong boat and now I'm never gonna see his album....

AlphaBrennino
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last I heard I do believe that Crooked I was making threats (if that is the right word), that if he didn't see his album this year then he would be bailing ship.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Government Mule
    Ah, I see now.

Yeah...when you look at it like that they yeah it could be a pretty blatant diss
    When you factor in the digs at "up north" and "white", it's extremely blatant. ALMOST as blatant as his Cypress Hill diss on "The Great Depression", though not quite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last I heard I do believe that Crooked I was making threats (if that is the right word), that if he didn't see his album this year then he would be bailing ship.

Apparently Suge is waiting for the right distribution deal, he wants it selling in every state, every country, every continent. Not some small deal that will only sell in LA and NY, Im just want a full album by him, he's one of the illest out right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The album WILL be out in August. I promise you.

Simon
    Anyone heard/got The Roots 'Phrenology'? I got it yesterday, it's pretty good but not as good as the critics claim...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday I got 'Do You Want More?!!!??!' by the Roots, and it's immense, as I expected, had been meaning to pick it up for a long time. I also got 'Mecca and the Soul Brother' by Pete Rock and CL Smooth and Love, Peace and Nappiness by The Lost Boyz, I am pleased with my purchases.

Simon
    Fallacy's debut album 'Blackmarket Boy' is out on Monday, definitely having that...he sucked when supporting Nas though.

Big N' Bashy is apparently a 'novelty' hit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got bone Thugs : Thug World Order the other day. Not really listened to it much yet.

Simon
    Supposed to be a bit crap.

Nottingham's finest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by bobster
    I got bone Thugs : Thug World Order the other day. Not really listened to it much yet.
    Nice CD. I recommend it. Not as good as e1999. Eternal but its ok.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I haven't seen it so I'll just ask. Has no one here had a chance to enjoy GenaCide.

6'2, the guy on the new DOC album is off the charts and GenaCide was his early crew. Definitely the goods.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe Budden is dropping a album.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The single Joe Budden has out on MTV right now is pretty good though, I may consider looking into this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone heard/got The Roots 'Phrenology'? I got it yesterday, it's pretty good but not as good as the critics claim...
    It really is an amazing album, but Things Fall Apart is amazinger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From mtv.com...

"The rapper who once battled LL Cool J and, upon the release of his 1998 major-label debut, Can-I-Bus, was heralded as hip-hop's next big thing, could soon be battling terrorists and rapping about camouflage. Canibus, whose fifth album, Rip the Jacker, hits stores July 22, graduated from Ft. Knox, Tennessee's U.S. Military Academy on May 1 and is now on active duty as a certified cavalry scout/ reconnaissance specialist in the U.S. Army. ..."

Somebody ought to teach Sex Ed. in schools. I had sex with a 14 year old the other day and it was crap.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe Budden blows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Harry
    Joe Budden blows.
    false

Nottingham's finest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Things Fall Apart is amazinger
    True

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Harry
    Joe Budden blows.
    True.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a God.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Joe Budden May Need Surgery

Def Jam's newest artist, Joe Budden has developed a polyp(tumor) on his throat and has been ordered by doctors to stop rapping until his throat can be fixed. The polyp is not cancerous but still may require surgery to remove.

'I might have to get surgery to get my voice back. I got some swelling going on back there. It just comes from a lot of acid. I drink a lot of acidy shit. You’ll never see me without a beverage...Even now, my voice is a whole lot deeper than normal. You can hear something is going on.'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quietstorm's just envious that another rapper is going to blow up and bitter old Canibis is making shit albums, and passing them off as parody's, idiot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, "idiot", I am glad that people like Canibus don't stoop to the level of making the majority of the people happy and not doing what makes himself and his true fans happy.

I could give a shit about what Joe Buddens thinks about Bis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there even a point in defending Bis now? People just automatically shun him, even though they havent heard Mic Club. All they focus on is the 'bad production' or his 'one sidedness' or CTHS, when there's so much more that people havent heard. So, the canibus-hating is either ignorance, or they just werent fans to begin with. It's like when people dis wrestling, I dont see the need to defend it anymore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive heard mic-club, and I must say that I like a few joints on there and the production is mainly strong, but canibis voice and flow starts to get so monotoneous after a while, like i say, i think canibis can be ill in small doses, but I cant stand full albums.
    Last edited by Suno; May 26th, 2003 at 7:52 PM.

Flow

Jigga ~ The Blueprint

The Blueprint may be Jay Z's most captivating record since Reasonable Doubt, but its predictably detached mood reflects the master hustler's superior ability to trick out lackluster subject matter with lyrical complexity and brief flashes of manufactured introspection. The Blueprint, a solid mix of preprogrammed radio hits ("Izzo," "Girls, Girls, Girls") and better-than-average mid-tempo compositions ("Never Change," "Song Cry"), confirms the Brooklyn rapper's legendary status. Blistering flames of the Queensbridge/Jay Z feud fan high with "Takeover," a direct attack on Nas, set over the Doors' rock & roll burner, "5 to 1." "Renegade" provides the album's only full-on guest appearance. Jay and Eminem take this opportunity to address haters (within the industry and in the general population) who don't understand the mind of an artist. Jigga spells it out on the title track: "Reasonable Doubt--classic, shoulda went triple." The Blueprint might not be quite on par with Reasonable Doubt but it is reasonably good.

-- Rebecca Levine

Jay-Z ~ The Blueprint

1. Ruler's Back
    Nice intro for the album. Nothing really serious or decent or whatever about it, just sets the mood rather nicely.
    Rating: N/A

2. Take Over
    Arguably one of S.Carter's finer pieces of work, although Jay lost the beef with Nas he did produce this classic song out of it. Set over 5 to 1 and with Josey Scott of Saliva in the background screaming "We run New York", it's a top battle song.
    Rating: 10/10

3. Izzo (H.O.V.A.)
    I can't help but sing along to the chorus every time, Jay does what he does best and talks about the rise from rags to riches. The song may be for the pop charts but the hook is catchy as fuck. A decent song before overkill and time set in methinks.
    Rating: 8/10

4. Girls, Girls, Girls
    Some pretty neat lyrical work from Jay in another song essentially for the pop charts and catchy again. Once you've heard the song a good few times it can wear thin on you though, good to listen to during summer and good times n shit.
    Rating: 7/10

5. Jigga That Nigga
    Didn't like this song all that much when I first heard the album, it's grown on me though and it's a cool track. Whenever I play this album I just play it all the way through, this is a good one to just have playing in the background while you're getting drunk or whatever.

6. U Don't Know
    Probably just me but I fucking love this song. Another one about Jay's rise from the streets to the fame. "I. Will. Not. Lose. Ever...Fucka." Quality. I love the beat too, 'specially the outro. Definitely prefer this to the f/M.O.P. Remix. Great song if you're feelin' it, turn it up.

7. Hola' Hovita
    Another song with a decent beat and a catchy hook. Not the sort of song you sit down and get deep to, great to have in the background and sing along with the chorus. However "If I ain't better than B.I.G., I'm the closest one"... I think not. Regardless, it's a decent track.

8. Heart of the City (Ain't No Love)
    A song about haters. "What you eat don't make me shit", class. Another catchy as fuck hook with a decent beat, Jay's flow is on song meeting the beat too. Nothing too great about the lyrics or subject matter, they all flow together well though.

9. Never Change
    I'm not a huge fan of this one, think it should maybe be placed a couple songs further down the track listing as the album subject matter becomes more sincere and the beats slow down. It's an alright song, wouldn't call it a filler but it ain't anything that I'm greatly feeling.

10. Song Cry
    If you find depiction in this song, it fucking rules. A song about a woman he got dumped by (well the last verse is...), uncharacteristic of Hova to do a "love song". Great, great song.

11. All I Need
    "All I need is the R.O.C.", wouldn't be a Jay-Z LP if he didn't have a track giving props to people who if they weren't his boys I'd never have heard of them. Alright song, as close as this album gets to a filler. If I skip a trick during playing it's this one.

12. Renagade FEAT: Eminem
    Depends whether you like Jigga or Em... if you like both (like I do) this song is tight. Like the thing above says it's directed at haters in and outside of the industry. One of my fav lines is "You fuckin' do-gooders too bad you couldn't do good at marriage". Jay once again ventures back to his past. Great song... turn it up.

13. Blueprint (Momma Loves Me)
    Another song I love, simple, slow beat. Carter basically talks over it. Doing what he does best... Jay talks about all of the people who helped him through childhood in Marcy. The song ends with a little message to Memphis Bleek and that is the end of that. Class song in my liking.
    Rating: 9/10

The mean track rating is round about 5/6, which can't be too bad. All the songs get a 7/10 or higher. Maybe I'm biased because I'm a mainstream and Jay-Z fan, but the album is quality. The track order goes a little off the bandwagon for my liking at the end, however there are hot tracks through from beginning to end which is the main thing. Some of the song ideas (hot beat, catchy hook, etc.) are samey and there's nothing Jay-Z likes to talk about more than his rise from nothing to something. (Not that I can blame him)... which maybe brings down the rating a tiny bit. Another thing, unlike Blueprint 2, it's good to see the whole album bar "Renegade" to be solely Jay on his own. BP2 features 14 songs with other artists and only 11 on his own... give me the original Blueprint anyday.

Overall Rating: 9/10

Hip-Hop classic? Jay's finest work? Both things are arguable and disputed, decent album though well worth pickin' up for anyone who ain't got it or digs Jay-Z. I picked it up for like £7 about three weeks ago, can't go bad with that.

Peace.

Flow
    I bought Life After Death recently for a fiver like. BUT! I've looked at Amazon.com and it's apparently 2 CD's... the thing I bought is only one CD and looks to be some kind of combination of the two (like Jay-Z's Blueprint 2.1 CD)...

Was one of these things actually released or was I just swivelled? The one CD version isn't on Amazon.com and they've got like every other CD in the world...

any ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HAHAHAHAHA, silly flow, the original was a 2 disk set, but they also released a 'best' of both disks LP, thing is they probably both retail at around the same price, which is ludicrous, I say you got 'swivelled' take it back and get the double disk.

Nottingham's finest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Suno
    take it back and get the double disk.

Hey Flow, is it true that on the single disk they changed "Fucking You Tonite" to "Lovin You Tonite"?

Flow
    Yeah the bastards - I got it out of Golden Disc so it was only like a Fiver...it's the only Biggie CD they had in the whole store. I'm not so fucked about it as to go take it back or whatever, it'll do for a fiver...

but yeah - the whole cd's censored

I'll find the proper one in a shop somewhere for about £20 and buy it sometime.

Edit: Yeah Prince it's called "Lovin You Tonight", and "Ten Crack Commandments" is just called "Ten Commandments".

Nottingham's finest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edit: Yeah Prince it's called "Lovin You Tonight", and "Ten Crack Commandments" is just called "Ten Commandments".
    Fucking disgraceful

Flow
    meh, I ain't gonna complain for a fiver

Underground
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NAS - NAStradamus

So I saw it for 15 bucks under the impression Nas's worst album would probably be better than most of the new shit thats being shoved down my throat on the radio. And guess what? I was right. But I was also right that Nas is not in form on this one. There is alot of filler.

Prediction: Good intro, no bullshit, but a good "poem recital(sp)" so to speak, which goes deep in to the pysche of a pregnant woman living in a slum, how she sees it, what alternate possibiltys there could be and the general nature of the black community all in about 2 minutes, which is a good effort.

Then we got Life we choose. The name speaks for itself and it a good effort aswell. 7/10

Cause it's hard to fuck around when we dealin with science
    My enemies got money, so y'all should watch how I play it
    They never know we enemies until they hear me say it
    Til they kid's on the phone sayin, "Please daddy pay it"
    Til they brain's on the floor, mixed on the pavement
    High-class elegance, you respect or you hiss
    You go against you'd rather piss on an electrical fence

3 Nastradamus - Pretty average for a title track. Shit beat and chorus, but good verses. I really hate the beat of this song. lyrics - 71/2

/10 - the rest 2/10

4 Some of us have angels is next and is a pretty crappy song 4 1/2 /10

5 Project Windows - Better than the last but not really a standout track - 6/10

6 Come get me - This is where Nastradamus picks up again I heard and thought PREMO checked and was corrrect again. So obviously the production is mad on this song, the lyrics don't slack either. 81/2 / 10

7. Shoot em up. Has to be heard to understood. Nursery ryhme ryhmes. Heh. 81/2 /10

8 Last words ft Nashawn Millenniem thug. Not a bad song not a great song, some dark themes but Nas ain't as hard as he claims to be in this song. 61/2 /10

9. Family ft Mobb Deep. Queensbridge nigga. 71/2 /10

10. God Love us - Asks questions about whether god would forgive gansta's and killlers etc in a rather rhetorical fashion. 7/10

11. Quiet niggas ft Bravehearts. Good song for Bravehearts but that doesn't mean its great. Basic "Quiet dudes are the one who will flip" shit 6/10

12. Big girl. Nas ain't good at love songs 6/10

13. New world. Its the Rule or If I ruled the World of Nastradamus. Brings up how we would be without computers and how because we put them together we will always be able to pull them apart. Says maybe he's old fashioned. Maybe thats why the beat is off some old song my dad listens to occasionally. :shrug: 8/10

14. You Owe me ft Ginuwine - Some sort of pimp/playa shit. Some good rhymes. Claims because he gave chicks money and bought them stuff they owe him sex. 61/2 /10

15. Outcome. Same chick from the 1st song. Trippy poem - but good.

Overall: 6/10

I'm probably rating him harshly because he's normally so good, but oh well. It was Ja Rule it would get 8 or 9. But its Nas so he's gets a measzly 6.

BAH this took ages.

AlphaBrennino
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ja Rule's six month hiatus from the rap world has lasted two weeks.

He has done yet another installment in the beef with 50 Cent, Dre, Aftermath etc by teaming up with Fatal Hussien from the Outlawz. Tupac turns in his grave once more (figurtively of course).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what's fatal's beef with 50? this is just getting stupid. no one cares anymore

Underground
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    /Webbicho groans

Underground
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah the bastards - I got it out of Golden Disc so it was only like a Fiver...it's the only Biggie CD they had in the whole store. I'm not so fucked about it as to go take it back or whatever, it'll do for a fiver...

I'll find the proper one in a shop somewhere for about £20 and buy it sometime.

HAHAHAHA Thats fucked.

Also Renegade doesn't derserve 10/10 and takeover is only like a 9.

HA Izzo is only like a 6 too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ja Rule is changing his name to The Black Dove and is releasing a "supposedly" less-commercial, more political album this fall.

Although if he gives another album like his debut it may be a welcome blessing, this is no doubt going to draw even more criticism of him trying to be just like Pac.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by QuietStorm
    Ja Rule is changing his name to The Black Dove and is releasing a "supposedly" less-commercial, more political album this fall.

Although if he gives another album like his debut it may be a welcome blessing, this is no doubt going to draw even more criticism of him trying to be just like Pac.

That could well be a blessing, I've never bought a Ja Rule album but I've always loved Holla Holla, that joint is dope as fuck, if he can switch it up drastically i may have to peep. Everyone bites pac, accusing Ja Rule is hypocritical even if he does it more than others.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, "idiot", I am glad that people like Canibus don't stoop to the level of making the majority of the people happy and not doing what makes himself and his true fans happy.

I could give a shit about what Joe Buddens thinks about Bis.
    Canibus is one of the most boring rappers out there. He has absolutley no direction with his albums. His battle with LL was sick I will admit that. He got LL good, but this guy is not cut to drop albums. His shit is all the same and boring. If I wanna learn about photosynthesis I will go back to Science, this guy is boring.

Joe Budden is energetic something different, hes not the greatest just some fun music in a very shitty year in rap music.

Gangstarr the Ownerz is dropping in June also I heard. Should be a nice month for hip hop music. This year has been horrid.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Black Dove what the fuck, he is dropping a double album as far as I know.

Articles from MTV.com

Queens, New York
    Rapper Ja Rule is dropping his double album sometime in 2004 said his producer Irv Gotti. "This nigga Ja hes got a lot of shit on his mind right now about relationships, and females, he's gonna sing his ass off on this double album."

Irv also stated they have completed 4 tracks for the upcoming album and plan to break for 3 months and record the first disc, and start the second disc.

Of the 4 songs completed "Gangsta Lover" featuring Ashanti is going to be the first single. "I sampled Temptations from 2pac and put this track together Ja sings the hook and Ashanti raps the 2nd verse, this song is hot."

Gotti also said this album will be one of the greatest ever released, and said it is going to be comparable to 2Pac's R U Still Down. "Ja really wanted to emulate that album, so has it all planned out in his head a trick he learned from Jay-Z." Irv also said this album will feature a ton of guest apperances and more 2pac sampling. "You can't have a Ja Rule album without Ashanti on every other track(Gotti Laughed then ate his doughnut), lots of guest apperances, Ja has a new group also all over this album called the Outbacks."

Underground
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scarface has a new one out

Cant fucking wait!

Underground
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by 50 Cent
    The Black Dove what the fuck, he is dropping a double album as far as I know.

Articles from MTV.com

Queens, New York
    Rapper Ja Rule is dropping his double album sometime in 2004 said his producer Irv Gotti. "This nigga Ja hes got a lot of shit on his mind right now about relationships, and females, he's gonna sing his ass off on this double album."

Irv also stated they have completed 4 tracks for the upcoming album and plan to break for 3 months and record the first disc, and start the second disc.

Of the 4 songs completed "Gangsta Lover" featuring Ashanti is going to be the first single. "

I sampled Temptations from 2pac and put this track together Ja sings the hook and Ashanti raps the 2nd verse, this song is hot."

Gotti also said this album will be one of the greatest ever released, and said it is going to be comparable to 2Pac's R U Still Down. "Ja really wanted to emulate that album, so has it all planned out in his head a trick he learned from Jay-Z." Irv also said this album will feature a ton of guest apperances and more 2pac sampling. "You can't have a Ja Rule album without Ashanti on every other track(Gotti Laughed then ate his doughnut), lots of guest apperances, Ja has a new group also all over this album called the Outbacks."

Funny cunt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Suno

That could well be a blessing, I've never bought a Ja Rule album but I've always loved Holla Holla, that joint is dope as fuck, if he can switch it up drastically i may have to peep. Everyone bites pac, accusing Ja Rule is hypocritical even if he does it more than others.

Holla is great because the tune is basic and he flows non stop throughout it.

His newer stuff is crap just because he tries to sing too much and has gaps where Ashanti sings. That's selling out

Also Webbicho: Scarface new album? Fucking sweet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Balls and My Word is just some un-released shit that J-Prince has decided to release to make a quick buck, its not an official 'face album, I heard it's not all that, it aint no Fix.