User Tag List

Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Official US Football (soccer) Thread

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Okay, Dan. The sides are meeting in Chicago. Lets go meet them there and express our views.

http://www.sportsline.com/soccer/story/8115299

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    MLS loses another American.

Cory Gibbs moves over to the Dutch League.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlin...322390&cc=5901

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The St. Louis Steamers just acquired the rights to a woman player. She starts training with the team next week to try to earn a spot on the roster.

http://www.stlsteamers.com/news/?cat=19&id=283

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Latest news about the US team from sportsline

http://www.sportsline.com/soccer/story/8121338

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woop.

Still getting pretty shafted on the base pay, but that's a nice increase in the win bonus.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Dude the story change. When I posted that link they were still working it out and they were having issues with how long the no stike pledge was or something. I was confused by your post and then clicked the link. Anyway that is damn cool.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I guess Landon gets to keep being the captain since Reyna is skipping the qualifier to finish healing.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Joe-Max Moore retired. I love that name.

http://www.sportsline.com/soccer/story/8138349

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nooooooooooo.

I always felt bad for Joe-Max, because he hit his prime in that awkward transition phase for the National Team. Young and talented during the end of the Wynalda Era, experienced but down a step during the beginning of the Donovan Era. Really came into his own as "the scorer" in that weird 96-00 period.

Still, besides all the "over his career" stats (which are great), he has to go down in US Soccer lore for making the 2002 Cup possible. Two games left in qualifying, US on the outside in 4th spot. First game after September 11, the day forces officially enter Afghanistan, US vs. Jamaica in Foxboro. No television coverage, what with the beginning of the War on Terror. Four minutes in, Reyna freekick headed in by Joe-Max. 1-1 at halftime. 80th minute, Donovan brought down in the box, penalty kick. Joe-Max. 2-1 victory. Hondurus (in 2nd spot) upset by Trinidad & Tobago, Mexico (in 3rd) held scoreless by Costa Rica. Final qualifier is moot: US is going to Korea.

Only time I've ever watched a tape-delayed game (replayed the next day) despite already knowing what happens. And the scoring table will always read "Moore 4, 80"

you Joe-Max.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Going to a Steamers game tomorrow. Never seen a indoor game live so this will be an experience. I have also heard about Cardinal players watching some games. Maybe I will stumble across one.

Anyway the tickets were a buck a piece. I said the tickets were a buck a piece. They ran a promotion that if you called during the game on Saturday which I was watching on tv that you got tickets for dollar a piece for the next home game on Wednesday with no limits.

Taking the daughter. Should be fun.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Okay there are only MSL players in training camp for the qualifier. Please tell me they are going to bring in some of the guys from Europe from this game. Please.

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    19 year-old American Jemal Johnson made his debut in the FA Cup for Blackburn on Saturday and scored a well-taken goal.

Lots of pace and cool in front of goal. Looks a good 'un.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Cool. We just had an American try out for Sunderland but didn't get a contract. Can't think of the name off hand though.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Friedal officially retired from the national team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that certainly is REALLY FUCKING SHITTY.

I will never understand the whole "club over country" thing... except I guess for that whole "I need money to feed my family" thing... that kind of makes sense...

But poop anyway.

PS: Great, now I have to stare at Keller's giant bald head every game... double poop!

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Ditto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2-1 to the Champions.

Johnson (30), Lewis (54)

The Artist I Could Have Sworn Was Formerly Known As Eddie Johnson becomes the first player in US history to score in each of his first four caps. Six in four, all Cup qualifiers, which already puts him 3rd all-time in qualifying goals. And there's only eleven more games.

Two words: Wow. Za.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Two warm up matches before we play the next two qualifiers. Going to play Columbia and Hondorus.

Next qualifier is in Mexico. Going for the draw on that one.
    Last edited by MTR; February 15th, 2005 at 3:53 PM.

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    San Jose striker's Canadian Dwayne de Rosario is on trial at the moment with the mighty Blackburn.

If he's half as good as Ryan Nelsen who we got from DC United a month ago then sign him up! Nelsen has been immense for us and is easily our best defender. A real favourite already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did Spector ever get to Blackburn, or is ManU still all injured and whatnot?

The Real Rajah United Xtreme Rebel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by da_man
    San Jose striker's Canadian Dwayne de Rosario is on trial at the moment with the mighty Blackburn.

If he's half as good as Ryan Nelsen who we got from DC United a month ago then sign him up! Nelsen has been immense for us and is easily our best defender. A real favourite already.
    Good get Rosario out of here. If not for him my Thunder would have won the USA Cup last year.

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man Utd postponed his loan whilst they had an injury crisis. Nothing has happened since and can't now because the transfer window has gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Transfer window has sex with other transfer windows of the same gender.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by da_man
    Man Utd postponed his loan whilst they had an injury crisis. Nothing has happened since and can't now because the transfer window has gone.
    Shame really. They said they would put the deal through before window closed. Oh well.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Going to miss Nelsen from DC this season.

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Nelsen looks pure class in the middle, and coupled with Todd looks very, very solid."

"Where are all the Nelsen detractors now, where are all those "MLS? can't be any good" people. The man is solid as a rock."

"Nelsen deserves special credit. Good at full-back, fabulous at centre half. Great reader of the game, can cover the ground, positions himself well, gets stuck in and has a lot of poise. In fact the back four looked a strong Premiership outfit!"

"Nelsen
    One word: IMMENSE! Todd and Nelsen have got to play together next game too. Looked solid the entire game, and never looked like putting a foot wrong. To illustrate how Husghes has improved our defence, just look at Nelsens performance against Chelsea and compare it to any Amo-game...."

"Todd and Nelsen were great, I think we've found our partnership. Nelsen in particular really caught the eye with his commitment and the way he commanded his areas - my man of the match."

Just a few snippets from our forum regarding Nelsen.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Just shows that MLS does have some talent. We just lose it to Europe.

I wish we could keep the talent and build the league up more but I can't blame the guys for leaving either.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Steamers who acquired the rights to a female player last month signed her to a five game contract and she will make her debut on Saturday. Man I wish I could go to that game. Anyway she won't be the first female to play indoor soccer in a men's league but she will be the first one to play in the MISL.

And in other news the women's national team coach stepped down. And all I have to say is about damn time. She may have led them to a gold in Athens but other than that the team actually struggled under her with a third place finish the last world cup and a second place finish in the 200o Olympics. Her style clashed with the style of the veterns that played and in fact one of the top names quit. I think it was Milbrit(spelling?). So should be interesting to see what happens from there.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    NEW YORK -- The United States will open against Cuba and also face Costa Rica and Canada in the first round of the CONCACAF Gold Cup.

The two-time champions of the biennial tournament will play Cuba and Canada in Seattle's Qwest Field, on July 7 and July 9, and then finish its Group B first-round schedule against Costa Rica at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Mass., on July 12.

Defending champion Mexico was placed in Group C and will play Guatemala, Jamaica and South Africa -- an invited guest team.

The other invited guest, Colombia, will face Honduras, Panama and Trinidad and Tobago in Group A. Panama will face Colombia on July 6 in Miami to open the tournament, which will run through the July 21 semifinals and July 24 championship game in East Rutherford, New Jersey.

Besides Seattle, Foxboro, Miami and East Rutherford, games also will be played in the Home Depot Center in Carson, California, the Coliseum in Los Angeles and Houston's Reliant Stadium.

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MARK Hughes awarded the captain's armband to New Zealander Ryan Nelsen, and he didn't disappoint, putting in a man of the match performance.

It was only Nelsen's seventh appearance in a Rovers shirt, but the manager has seen the qualities in the defender and he didn't let anyone down.

"He's a great guy, he's got presence on the pitch and off it, and that was the reason why I gave him it (captain's armband) tonight," said Hughes.

"It is basically a recognition of his performances of late and since he has been at the club.

"He gave a captain's performance tonight."

HE may be the captain of his country, but for Ryan Nelsen to lead Rovers out in an FA Cup tie against Burnley last night was a great moment for the likeable New Zealander.

With Andy Todd suspended, all were wondering who Mark Hughes would hand the captain's armband to, and it turned out to be January signing Ryan Nelsen.

"It was a fantastic honour," said Ryan to Radio Rovers after the game. "In all honesty it was a bit of a surprise. We've got some fantastic players and really experienced players in the team.

"But it was a surprise but just an honour, captaining a winning side is a heck of a lot more fun, so I'm just glad that we did the business.

"I didn't really understand how big it was until the first game, obviously now it feels so good knowing that the town has got one on their rivals, and that is why the team is so happy because everyone has understood how big this game was for the town and for the club, we are so glad that the town can have the bragging rights for a while.

"If we have the support against Leicester as we did tonight, it is going to help so much."
    We Ryan

God bless MLS for their gift to us.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    At least he went to a team I like over there considering that he left my team over here.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    MLS lost Damani Ralph from Jamaica to a Russian team. He basically wanted a chance to play in the Champions league and what not.

The US has qualified for the World Cup in beach soccer. FIFA is actually working on promoting other forms of the sport now it seems.

I remember back about ten years ago the US was really good in beach soccer. Brazil is by far the best team though if I am not mistaken.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlin...327140&cc=5901

Fulham will be playing the MLS All-Stars for the All-Star game this season.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlin...327248&cc=5901

Vanney moving to FC Dallas in MLS. Would have liked to see him go to DC though.

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/200...954394-cp.html

Dwayne De Rosario turned down a contract to the end of the season with the mighty Blackburn and signed a 2-year deal with San Jose instead. He has a young family and needed the longer-term security - fair enough really.

Not happy with one quote though...

"After he scored a couple of goals in a scrimmage against the first team.."

SCRIMMAGE?! Its called a practise match! Damn yanks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a Canadian website so leave us Yanks alone!!! Bully

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Practice match? That sounds lame.

Meh. We call it scrimmage. We call "practice matches/games/etc." in all sports scrimmages. I kind of like the sound of scrimmage.

Anyway US women won yesterday in the Algraves Cup. First game with Hamm and others.

US men beat Columbia using an all MLS lineup against a Columbian team using a lot of members of the U-20 team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WHOOOOOO RIVALRY!

"We have to make them pay back the elimination from the last World Cup, now it's our turn to leave them out."
    Jaime Lozano [Reuters, March 23]

"No one is going to come here and beat us."
    Oswaldo Sanchez [March 23]

"I have a bad taste in my mouth, a bad memory of them and I am waiting to take out my anger."
    Rafael Marquez [El Universal, March 23]

"I feel that this is an opportunity to demonstrate that we're better than they are. I think it will be different*(than the World Cup) because most of us are young."
    Hugo Sanchez Guerrero [La Opinion, March 24]

----------------------------------

"0-21-1? It really doesn't mean anything to me. We really have this belief that we should have a good chance to win when we go anywhere in (North or) Central America and the Caribbean. First of all, we're better prepared than we've ever been."
    Landon Donovan [USA Today, 3/24/05]

“This is what we live to do, to play in front of 100,000 people. With the three weeks of camp that we've had and the efforts the guys have put out and the results that we've got, I think we're prepared."
    Pablo Mastroeni, on the preparations for Mexico [Los Angeles Times, March 22]

“I think our team has the confidence they can win every time they step on the field, and that includes on Sunday in Mexico City. And I think we will step on that field Sunday trying to win. I'm not certain that there have been many U.S. teams in the past that really believed that.”
    U.S. Manager Bruce Arena, on the team's confidence heading into Sunday. [ussoccer.com, March 22]

And the best one, from Wyno.

“I once saw Cobi cough up something that looked like a brownie.* It’s like never smoking your whole life, then being told to smoke a pack of cigarettes and try to function normally. You get sick.”*
    Former national team forward Eric Wynalda, describing the air quality in Mexico City [Sports Illustrated, March 28]

PS: Mexico's All-Time World Cup Qualifying Record (at home): 53-1-4 (GF 226, GA 25)... averaging a 10-1 victory... insane...

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    That is going to be a one hell of a hard match to win and especially since we have never won there but I think we have a team that can go in there and win. Whether they do it or not is to be seen but I think we have a team that can do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This makes no sense to me whatsoever, but um... yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by AP
    Galaxy reportedly close to deal for star

LOS ANGELES -- Landon Donovan's second stay in Germany could be brief.

The Los Angeles Galaxy is reportedly close to sending forward Carlos Ruiz to Dallas so it can acquire Donovan from Bayer Leverkusen in Germany.

The 25-year-old Ruiz, who is from Guatemala, led the Galaxy in scoring each of the past three seasons and was Major League Soccer's most valuable player in 2002.

Donovan, a 23-year-old midfielder who is the reigning U.S. player of the year, spent the past four seasons playing for the San Jose Earthquakes in an arrangement with Bayer Leverkusen, which owned his rights.

A Kicker magazine article published Thursday in Germany reported Donovan was returning to MLS, and the Los Angeles Times quoted sources in its Friday editions as saying Donovan could be in a Galaxy uniform in time for the team's season opener at Columbus on April 2.

"We just don't comment on rumors or speculation," Galaxy president and general manager Doug Hamilton said Friday. "Our roster is our roster, we're very proud of it, that's who we're talking about, that's who we're promoting. We have no comment on what's been written or speculated about this transaction. We don't comment on any speculation or rumors.

"We're looking forward to the season in front of us. We're looking forward to a big game April 2."

Leverkusen's officials could not be contacted Friday. Richard Motzkin, Donovan's agent, declined comment through an associate.

Donovan returned to Europe for a second stint with Bayer Leverkusen, which holds his contract. Since rejoining the German team in January, Donovan has appeared in nine of 11 Bundesliga and European Champions League games, but only two of them were starts.

Bayer Leverkusen signed Donovan six years ago, when he was a 16-year-old student at Redlands, Calif., East Valley High. He spent two years with the German team before playing the last four in MLS. He said last November he wanted to return to play for Bayer Leverkusen.
    So somehow LA sending Ruiz to Dallas nets them Donovan's rights from Leverkusen?

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Only way that makes sense is by them sending him there makes room on the roster for Donovan. But it is not clear.

Anyway why would he come back so fast. Does he miss home? And I don't see that German team letting him come back. They have been trying to get him back over there for like two years and finally managed to get him back.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Umm.. You're right, that doesn't make sense. Although he doesn't seem to have done much at Leverkusen, I'd doubt he'd want to go back so quickly after rejoining them. I suppose there's a limit to the number of players on a team's roster? But why would they want to get rid of this Ruiz, who I think I've heard of, (he must be reasonably good) when they could get rid of sum shite player. If it is saying that, then it doesn't mean he'd want to join them anyway. Also I don't see that story anywhere else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Leverkusen end is the one that confuses me, sending him away so quickly after reacquiring him...

The MLS side makes somewhat more sense, but only somewhat... while obviously one would love to have a team with both Ruiz and LanDo, I'm guessing there has to be some financial strain with having two of the five best players in the league... and so if you're presented with the opportunity to get Donovan, they probably feel it better to trade Ruiz to Dallas and fill in some other holes or gain depth... as in Landon + Whoever Comes From Dallas > Ruiz... again though, the only way that makes sense is if there's a financial reason they can't carry Ruiz and Donovan at the same time...

Unfortunately, between the state of MLS financial disclosure and their intent to broaden appeal, it's just as likely that the league wants to consolidate LA's Latino support around Chivas, so they're shipping Ruiz out and bringing in the American Golden Boy as the centerpiece for LA's "Other Team." Or, if you don't want to look at it racially, one has to assume MLS wants/needs Chivas (and to a lesser extent RSL) to succeed. LA carrying both Ruiz and Donovan would make Chivas the second-best team in their own stadium, let alone the league.

I do hate to always bring up MLS conspiracy theories, but until they're more transparant about how they do business (and to some extent, until teams get autonomy over player contracts) I will always have questions about what they're doing.

Then again, this year I will hopefully have insider knowledge... MLS Internship

I'm back....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno, but I hope my Galaxy doesn't get Donovan over Ruiz. I know Landon's a great player and all, but I've always seen the Galaxy as the team of Central America in the US. What with Salvadoran icon Cienfuegos playing here for so long, and El Pescadito being so popular, I'd imagine that Galaxy would want to consolidate as much of their Latino fanbase as possible. I like Ruiz that much, and even if Landon's more talented than Ruiz, Ruiz is the heart and soul of the L.A. Galaxy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Copied over from the Asylum thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Me, halftime
    Shit half.

Notice Onyewu is not in my starting line-up...

I like the 4-5-1 though... BUT NOT WITH ONYEWU!

PS: Blanco is a pussy... shit fucking pussy Mexicans...
    Quote Originally Posted by Me, post-game
    Meh. Both teams were shit. Donovan and Beasley were alternate parts shit and non-existant.

On the bright side, if I had to find one: despite finally not scoring, that was Johnson's best game as an international... and despite the loss, I have more faith in Keller than before... so the two capable performances come from the top and back, and everyone in between was shit...

No reason why we shouldn't beat them back in the States, though... they showed almost as little as we did...

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I recorded it and watched it yesterday. Good game in the second half for the Americans but they just seemed flat in the first. They had chances to draw the game in the second half. Keller kept that game from being a blowout though. I still wish Freidal would play but Keller is really not that bad. He has a win over Brazil at least. I am like Dan though. No reason we don't win in the States later on in the round. They seemed flat at times as well. Not having Pope hurt. If Pope is in there that is a dfferent game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This article has dealt me a blow from which I might not recover for a few hours...

Quote Originally Posted by Soccernet
    The definition of a conspiracy theory is a clandestine covert action that is not apparent at first glance. With this in mind, Donovan backers are out in full force to defend Landon Donovan's proposed move back to MLS with the L.A. Galaxy. (A move that would also result in the Galaxy shipping Carlos Ruiz to FC Dallas).

Rather than recognize that Donovan struggled mightily in his second stay in Germany, conspiracy theorists would have you believe from among the following creative masterpieces to name but a few:

a. That he extricated himself from Leverkusen's ownership to MLS in order to give himself total control over which European team he opts to go to next.

b. That his recent performance against Liverpool in the Champions League (which was dire, and that's being kind) was premeditated to further Leverkusen's disenchantment with him, and possibly save MLS money on any potential transfer fee.

c. That Donovan would have succeeded in Germany if he simply had a coach that believed in him and would have given the opportunity to do so, by playing him in his preferred forward spot.

These three theories -- and other such justifications -- are bunk, nonsense or whatever other suitable dismissive adjective one feels like throwing out there.

The fact is that it's becoming more and more clear to ardent fans of U.S. soccer that Donovan simply isn't cut out to be the golden boy that many had hoped that he would be.

Donovan has the technical skills and potential to be a world-class player, as he showed in the last World Cup. However his continuous failure to reach the heights demanded of such expectations since that time (not to mention his consistent inconsistency outside of a MLS setting) leads one to believe he is simply lacking the 'mojo' or unique intangible that sets apart the greats.

A large part of Donovan's problem seem to stem from his often-documented homesickness which affected both his stints in Germany. Donovan is the type of player who thrives on confidence (what player doesn't?) but at the same time is prone to losing it at the drop of a hat. In many games, it's possible to predict whether or not he'll play well based on his first few touches of the ball. A mistake here or there and it seems to put Donovan into a shell from which he rarely recovers. During the Liverpool game - he actually looked liked he was hiding from the ball at times.

It's clear that Donovan's confidence is high only when playing in a familiar environment and at home among friends, family and girlfriend. The comfort zone of California is probably the single biggest reason Donovan is a totally different player in MLS, than he is in national team or European settings.

Herein lies another part of Donovan's problem - he appears content being a big fish in a little pond. He has often said that it wouldn't bother him if he never played another game in Europe. While there's nothing wrong with wanting to be be close to home, elite players usually have a strong desire to improve their skills against stiffer competition - which would more likely happen if he played overseas.

For a nation still looking for its first world-class superstar, Donovan's seeming lack of desire to leave any kind of global legacy speaks volumes about his capability of becoming the 'messiah' the U.S. needs.

As for whether or not he ever got a fair shake with Leverkusen, there's no doubt he could have been afforded more opportunities during his most recent stint, especially with Robson Ponte out. However, it's not as if the Leverkusen coach can be accused of not giving Donovan a chance - Donovan started Leverkusen's biggest game of the season against Liverpool but withered under the pressure. For Donovan critics, this latest wilt is another shining example of big games where he has failed to perform.

The most disturbing aspect of Donovan's return to MLS is that he is returning so soon after only just joining Leverkusen after the German winter break. Starting roles in any league are rarely handed out; they are earned. Donovan got chances at Leverksen, limited as they were, and he failed to make them count. But instead of staying, proving his doubters wrong and redeeming his reputation in Germany, he's now placed himself in a position to be called a quitter.

His shortcomings on the national team level are apparent as well. Against Mexico on Sunday he was listless and largely MIA. Even his one contribution to the game, the assist to Eddie Lewis on the lone U.S. goal, came after he made a hash of the initial entry pass from Eddie Johnson. For much of the game he looked tentative, scared and unwilling to run with the ball. He seemed to be almost as in love with the sideways or backwards amounting-to-nothing pass as Claudio Reyna.

After the game, Donovan was quoted as saying, "Coming in at the half the way we were playing, my main concern was let's make sure we don't get blown out''.

A loser mentality if ever there was one. Kick a chair, head butt the wall, do something, anything but lay down with a shockingly defeatist attitude in the face of a hardly insurmountable 2-0 deficit. If World Cup qualification wasn't enough of a motivation, the fact that small segments of the Mexican crowd were chanting, "Osama! Osama!" should have been enough to stir the patriotic flames inside Donovan -- but clearly they weren't.

One can't lay blame for the Mexico fiasco on Donovan's shoulders entirely, but as the star draw and the perceived marquee player, his failure to perform hurt the U.S. cause tremendously. He'll probably rebound against Guatemala but, he always does in games of lesser magnitude.

That's why it's strange that he's often been tagged the U.S. captain by Bruce Arena - a cynic could argue that this has always been a pure marketing move, as Donovan has yet to display any type of real leadership on the senior level. He's an excellent team player, a solid citizen and can be a potential match-winner in any game for the U.S., but is he really the type of player that can will his teammates to victory in the heat of a hostile environment in the time-honored tradition of players such as Roy Keane or Tony Adams?

Based on the performance against Mexico and his shortcomings in other big games, the evidence suggests otherwise. Granted he dominates MLS and yes he's a proven winner at the MLS level, but it's doubtful he will ever fill the bill as the flag-bearer for U.S. soccer for the next decade. It's time to take a closer look at a player like Eddie Johnson or even DaMarcus Beasley, who has proved so far at PSV this season that U.S. outfield players can indeed cut it at the highest levels of European soccer.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah I saw that article this morning. I thought it may make you cry. I am not sure if I completely agree with it all but I do see what he is saying to a degree.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Donovan is not going back to Germany. He is heading back to MLS even though nothing is finalized and he is not going to make any decisions on anything until after Wednesday. He called the coach and said he did not want to come back and the coach said okay.

This is according to an article over on soccernet

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    No Pope tonight either in the qualifier. Plus of course Beasley is out as well.

I ate them before they ate me El Capitano Gatisto's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we can finally put a lid on the old argument "Landon Donovan is no Robbie Keane."

You're rather attractive aenima's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's no Mickey Chopra, either.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Thought this was quite interesting. Haven't heard much about him, maybe someone could give me the lowdown on him.

Manchester United are fighting PSV Eindhoven for American international Eddie Johnson.
    Johnson is one of the hottest prospects in the US and has been trailed by United since he was just 17 - he turns 21 on Thursday.
    In 2001 United were keen on securing his signature but Johnson was more than happy to continue his career in America - where he has flourished with FC Dallas - formerly Dallas Burn.
    Now United have firmed up their interest again and that resulted in Johnson spending two weeks training at Carrington earlier this month. He was also meant to spend time with PSV in Holland, but he returned to America in preparation for their World Cup qualifiers. Johnson has revealed that United are keen to secure his services, but his current tally of just six caps would be way short of English work permit levels and that could let PSV in - in a similar way to which they managed to beat a number of Premiership clubs to DaMarcus Beasley. "(United) had a lot of good things to say," he said.
    "They told me the only issue right now is my work permit, and hopefully I can get a work permit by the end of this year or next year. "PSV liked what they saw (at the US's game vs. Jamaica in November) in Columbus.

"That's another reason why I didn't have to go. It wasn't really important.

"I'm not in a rush. I told my agent at the end of the day, it's all about stability and comfort, and right now, I'm happy in MLS.

"Right now, I'm 20-years-old. Being in MLS at 22 or 24 isn't going to hurt me because I think the league is getting better and better.

"I'm getting better every year as a player, and MLS has had a lot to do with my development. Who knows? Maybe I'll re-sign with the league."

Johnson, though, concedes that England is very appealing to him.

"The EPL [Premiership]. That's me. That's where it is," he told MLS' official website.

"I was going in there [United] with no pressure on my back, seeing where I stand with the guys abroad.

"There were some days where I could pretty much do what I want. There were some days where I was just the same as everybody over there.

"Being around all those players who love, eat, breathe and sleep soccer, I kind of regret not going when they wanted me to come over when I was 17.

"But I'm with Dallas and I'm going to stay with Dallas until anything happens in the future," he said.

"I can tell myself right now that MLS has done a great job of getting me to where I am right now. I'm just glad to be a part of it."

United, though, may have an ace up their sleeve in the bid for Johnson in Kenny Cooper.

Cooper is a young American, who unlike Johnson, decided to take the chance of moving to England at an early age.

He is now on the fringes of the first team squad and recently spent time on loan at Oldham Athletic, after a stint with Portugal's Academica did not go too well. However, Dallas have now confirmed their interest in Cooper and United could cooperate fully in return for a favourable option on Johnson.
    "At this point, it's down to where Kenny wants to be and where Manchester United wants him to be," said FC Dallas general manager Greg Elliott.
    "We've let him know that if he comes back to the United States, we want him to be here. "He's a big, strong kid," Elliott said. "His game is good, and it's only going to get better." Dallas are trying to get Cooper before the end of the international transfer window which closes on Thursday, but a move at the end of the English season looks a distinct possibility.United already have a strong presence in America, which was bolstered by their tour there last summer and ironically they have agreed to send a youth side to the Dallas Cup next spring.

The Red Devils, who already have Tim Howard in their ranks, are also very keen on 15-year-old Freddy Adu - and a double raid on MLS in the next 12 months cannot be ruled out.
    Last edited by Ringo; March 30th, 2005 at 1:11 PM.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Johnson tied for most goals scored in the league last year in MLS. He also has like 7 goals already for the national team in about the same amount of games. MLS turned down a 5 million dollar transfer for him already. I forgot what team it was though. United tried to get Adu before he signed with MLS I think but he chose to stay in the US for now. PSV had to make a couple offers to MLS for Beasley before finally getting him. I will give MLS this. They try to hold onto their talent if they can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PSV could be interpreted as Chelsea.

Simon
    I'm confused there, United already have a striker called Eddie Johnson on their books, I assume it's not the same guy? Loaned out to Coventry, I think.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano Gatisto
    PSV could be interpreted as Chelsea.
    Quite a build up of Chelsea junior clubs now, with CSKA, Corinthians and Porto all seeming to be linked with them.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by HB2K5
    I'm confused there, United already have a striker called Eddie Johnson on their books, I assume it's not the same guy? Loaned out to Coventry, I think.
    Yeah different guys. The US Johnson has only played for FC Dallas in MLS. He did have a workout as mentioned with United though after the MLS season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure about Porto, but the PSV agreement is definite. Alex and Farfan are both going to Chelsea when they get EU passports, in 3 or 4 seasons. Those are confirmed. Any PSV interest in a young starlet should be interpreted as Chelsea interest, probably.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only American to score in each of his first four caps. Six goals in his first four games, all WC qualifiers. That pace has since "slowed" to seven in six games.

And while I would argue that those numbers are deceiving, in that the early goals were more often "right place, right time" than things of his own doing, he has looked very good lately. I think the confidence in him was shown on Sunday when, whether it was the right move or not, the US lined up only one forward against Mexico in a final round qualifier and it was Johnson. This is a team that never plays with just one forward, and a team that has the third-leading scorer in national history at its disposal in McBride; and Eddie Johnson got the start.

It says a lot. More than I'm probably qualified to say about him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS: I feel like we've had this exact discussion before, right down to the Chelsea-PSV pipeline...

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    I'm not sure about Porto, but the PSV agreement is definite. Alex and Farfan are both going to Chelsea when they get EU passports, in 3 or 4 seasons. Those are confirmed. Any PSV interest in a young starlet should be interpreted as Chelsea interest, probably.
    Apparently we'll use them to get Kompany as well.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan The Man
    This is a team that never plays with just one forward,
    Actually using only one forward is not that rare for the US team. Arena likes that 4-5-1 lineup when facing quality teams like Mexico.

But yeah usually in that lineup McBride gets the nod but Johnson got it which does say something I guess.

Simon
    I don't think it's a case of them 'definitely going', just them qualifying for EU passports and then if they turn out to be the quality players people expect them to be, they'll move to Chelsea. The PSV and Corinthians ones are fairly obvious, especially with the Tevez deal apparently already completed, but the CSKA one is basically definite too, not only the links with Abramovich but the fact that they've brought in all these young Brazilians who Chelsea have been linked with (Daniel Carvalho, some guy called Dudu and Vagner Love who I think has already got the hump with all the snow and fucked off back to his shanty town).

Kind of like how Spurs have West Ham as a feeder club, not only nabbing all their good players but using them as a dumping ground for all their shite, too. In the last two years we've taken Carrick, Kanoute and Defoe, and fucked Rebrov, Taricco and Etherington out to them. I wouldn't be surprised if we moved in for Ferdinand and Reo-Coker in the summer. Hopefully not spastic-face Harewood though.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastodon RM
    Apparently we'll use them to get Kompany as well.
    Kompany is at Anderlecht, though. And in any case, he's been followed by tons of teams since long before Chelsea became minted. I heard Juventus wanted him, and Essien from Lyon too.

But this is about Stateside football, so on-topic...Adu a crackhead yet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Alex deal is agreed in terms of his transfer to Chelsea. He's going when he qualifies for an EU passport.

As for Eddie Johnson's international record, David Connolly had a similar record early in his international career. He turned out to be a wanker.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by HB2K5
    Kompany is at Anderlecht, though. And in any case, he's been followed by tons of teams since long before Chelsea became minted. I heard Juventus wanted him, and Essien from Lyon too.

But this is about Stateside football, so on-topic...Adu a crackhead yet?
    I know he's at Anderlecht. It'd just been reported that we'd reached a deal with the two clubs. Adu will probably turn out to be shit, and end up at some Croatian team. It's not as if he's been put through the proper training. Then again, people said Rooney had been brought in two young, but it seemd to have all gone well.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    The Alex deal is agreed in terms of his transfer to Chelsea. He's going when he qualifies for an EU passport.
    That hasn't actually been made official though, has it? I heard it had been confirmed, but then again planet football have also confirmed Morientes was coming to Chelsea. So I'd taken it as rumour.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    As for Eddie Johnson's international record, David Connolly had a similar record early in his international career. He turned out to be a wanker.
    Well like Dan said part of the reason behind that many goals in a short was partially due to be in the right place at the right time. He scored a hat trick against Panama I believe in that 6-1 win and really he just lucked out and actually stole a goal from McBride really. The pace has slowed and he is still playing well though so we shall see how it goes.

Simon
    Now you say that, I think I remember hearing that before, during some Champion's League game with Arsenal. The commentators were banging on about this great centre half who would be joining the Chelsea superstars, then the lanky cunt goes and bags an OG and makes the commentator look a twat.

And a gypsy. He's the cousin of this guy I know called Daniel Connolly, and he's a gypo.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last week's feature MLS game on ESPN2 was pretty exciting. Only too bad that Chivas couldn't finish anything otherwise United would have been in trouble.

This week they are showing San Jose and Chivas at 4pm Eastern on ESPN2. Should be an interesting game seeing as the Quakes are without Lando for the first time in a long while.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I tried to record the United/Chivas game last week on ABC or whatever and all I got was coverage of the Pope.

DC United had a 1-1 draw with Pumas who is the Mexican League Champion in the first leg of their semifinal for the CONCACAF Club Championship.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah they moved it to ESPN2 because of that.

Good for United on the draw though. Any idea who scored? Gros and Gomez netted the 2 against Chivas

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well today's feature game has been amazing. Couldn't ask for a better back and forth battle.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So obviously I know nothing about US Soccer, but I would like to watch it and follow a team but I know nothing of it in England. Anyway so who is the team that dominates if there is one at the moment?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The season is only a week old, so there's certainly no domination yet... just based on talent, I have to think Kansas City and FC Dallas are the teams to beat. KC was the top team in the regular season last year and returned basically everyone. As for Dallas, one of their two forwards has led the league in goals the last three years (Eddie Johnson last year, Carlos Ruiz the two prior to that). That's a pretty potent combination.

In other (or actual) news, today marks the beginning of the MLS Reserve division. Nothing wrong with that.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The season is only a week old, so there's certainly no domination yet... just based on talent, I have to think Kansas City and FC Dallas are the teams to beat. KC was the top team in the regular season last year and returned basically everyone. As for Dallas, one of their two forwards has led the league in goals the last three years (Eddie Johnson last year, Carlos Ruiz the two prior to that). That's a pretty potent combination.

In other (or actual) news, today marks the beginning of the MLS Reserve division. Nothing wrong with that.
    Thanks man, is there like any sites I can keep up to date with?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    www.foxsports.com
    www.espn.com
    www.mlsnet.com

I'm pulling for Chivas. I like what I've seen from them so far, but as long as DC doesn't win I'm happy. I still think the MLS and USL should hook up for promotion and relegation. No reason not to really.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks can't wait to keep up with it and Steve Guppy for DC United, I remember him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure how this site eluded us for so long...

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Not sure how this site eluded us for so long...
    I have visited it a few times but I tend to forget about it.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    MISL finals will be on ESPN2.

Steamers are already offering playoff packages. They should make it to the playoffs. So you can get tickets for both rounds for $28($14 each). Not bad. The final game will be in St. Louis no matter who is in the final. They already set the location for the finals and we get the second game of the two game final.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Pumas took out United in the CONCACAF Champion's Cup semi-final. 1-1 first leg in the States and then a 5-0 loss in Mexico. DC had a player ejected and they scored like three goals after that.

DC never really had a chance any way it goes. They just started their season and ended up playing like 4 games in two weeks and the last one last night was in high altitude. Pumas are well into their season so they were ready to go and in good shape.

DC has one this cup before and probaly will again some day. They actually beat a South American team after winning the cup to win some cup that is done between the two regions. What sucks is that the winner of the CONCACAF Cup gets to move on the first world club championship later this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Pumas jersey. It has an insanely over-sized Lotto patch on the sleeves.

I am

EDIT: Picture. I also enjoy that it says "Banamex" because it's almost an anti-Mexico jersey.
    Last edited by Dan The Man; April 14th, 2005 at 1:36 PM.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Scalpers tried to get extra World Cup tickets.

http://www.sportsline.com/soccer/story/8387631

And San Antinio will have a MLS team if conditions are met.

http://www.sportsline.com/soccer/story/8388216

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wondering if you saw Youri Djorkaeff playing for the NY Metrostars last night. Made his debut and played well apparently.

He's 36 now but really is a genuinely great player. We had him at Blackburn earlier in the season and played a couple of very good games but then suffered with injury.

Check him out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Metrostars/Chicago game airson Friday night over here, so I'll keep my eyes out.

This weeks games were ok. The Friday night one was fun, and it was nice to see the two youngsters out on the feild as well as DC lose. The Saturday game crowd was great, but that's all that should be said about it.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I think me and you are going to fight before the season is over if you keep talking about my team that way.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I think Dallas is going to be the team to watch though with Johnson and Ruiz playing. Both scored in their win yesterday.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MTR
    I think me and you are going to fight before the season is over if you keep talking about my team that way.
    Well until they draw my Thunder in the Cup and get beat... you'd never hear the end of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This picture cracks me up... a CONCACAF player if there ever was one...

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Chivas USA vs. LA Galaxy this week. There is already a name for this derby: Honda Super Clasico.

Article about the game here: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=331341&cc=5901

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    I might try and follow US football this season. I believe they show MLS in reasonably regular doses on Channel 4 over here at about 3 in the morning. So I may well tape it and give it a go. It would be interesting to see what it's like, and considering I despise the style of all other US sports, It will be interesting to see whether this extends to football over there. It also may be interesting hearing your views, and giving my own, with me being a European that is surrounded by football all the time.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Well honestly MLS is not the level of the European leagues you are used to watching. I still enjoy the games but I know MLS needs more work.

I am going to try to remember to record the Chivas/Galaxy game and see what other games are on tv this week.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Oh yeah, I know the level of quality isn't the same. But I have the feeling it'll be really quite interesting to see a recognisable sport played in a country where sport is so different.

Also, anybody here heard of a young player named Kerlon? He's a Brazillian teenager and he's tipped to be the next Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Robinho etc. He's invented this thing called the 'seal dribble' where he flicks the ball up and balances it on his neck before running through players. Of course, none of them stand any chance of tackling him so he either succeeds in getting past the player or gets fouled.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    I've actually just watched the video of Kerlon's seal dribble, and he doesn't balance it on his neck at all, he runs while nodding the ball forward a touch and dribbling it, as though glued to his forehead. It's impressive..

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Here is the video in .avi(Quicktime) format..

http://s34.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...V25X6VSO4NNA4Q

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rather than show the first derby in US history we get an extension of the past 10 hours of the same fucking analysis. This shit is pissing me off so much.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme Rebel
    Rather than show the first derby in US history we get an extension of the past 10 hours of the same fucking analysis. This shit is pissing me off so much.
    Yeah but they at least started the game from the begining when the started it instead of just joining in progress.