User Tag List

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Official US Football (soccer) Thread

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Might be good if I could understand what is being said.

I watched one of the COPA America games involving Mexico on Univision and it was just not all that cool. Had to hit mute.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Friedal may be done playing for the national team. He may focus on playing for Blackburn. So looks like Howard and Keller and maybe the guy from the Metrostars will be in goal for the US. Howard and Keller lost their starting spots in the Premiership I see.

You're rather attractive aenima's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should really plead with him to stay on. Friedel is still a better keeper than Howard, who isn't getting played for United at the moment, and Keller's been permanently replaced by Robinson at Spurs.

He's only 32 isn't he? Three or four years left in him yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need the Fried... certainly still the top keeper of the trio.

And on the topic of US keepers, I know they've been really working with Jonny Walker to bring him along, but at what point do you have to stop and look at Joe Cannon? Walker's numbers from Chile are great, but his MLS numbers are nothing spectacular. Cannon is putting up his best season, in a career of great seasons.

If we weren't so deep into qualifying, I'd love to see Cannon get his chance to displace Walker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Real Salt Lake. Like Real Madrid, only with no history or, likely, talent. Gag me with a fucking spoon. I kind of like RSL, but Real?

PS: Great work naming your team after Real Madrid, and then giving them a color scheme of red/blue/gold a la Barca. Brilliant. What's next: a team named the Mets that plays in pinstripes?

PPS: Just name the stadium Porto Valencia Field and change the league to MLS Primera while we're at it...

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Real Salt Lake.

Fucking stupid shit.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    So they are doing it to have or they have a relationship with Real Madrid. Still dumb name that does not really fit with MLS in my view.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Relationship" my ass. Unless they're going to finance the club with their bajillions of dolalrs, or better yet, loan out somebody of relative fame (yeah, right), no relationship is worth naming your team Real Salt Lake.

Now FC Dallas... that's spot on, especially since I swear they're the only team in the league that plays anything resembling European soccer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2-0 to the champions.

McBride (29) and Eddie Johnson (76) in what I'm pretty sure is Johnson's first cap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ussoccer
    With Claudio Reyna unavailable, Donovan wore the captain's armband for the first time in his career with the national team.
    Wow. That's quite the honor. I know it kind of seemed like something that would happen, what with LanDo often wearing Reyna's 10 in friendlies without Reyna on the roster, but... well, let's just say there are a few guys I would have guessed before Landon. Namely McBride, Pope, and Keller.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    That is great for Landon. And yes that was Johnson's first cap.

I am surprised about it being Landon as well considering you had McBride and others to choose from.

I am still shaking my head at ReAL Salt Lake. They supposededly have a relationship but no official affliation. Yeah right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Official transfering of comments on tonight's game that I made in the Asylum.

First half analysis

Eddie Johnson's deceiving numbers

Landon Donovan is the greatest American to ever play.

6-0 TO THE CHAMPIONS! WHOOOOOOOOOOO!

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Copy and paste from Asylum:

6-0 route of Panama. And yet we only drew them 1-1 in Panama a while back. Early on the US had some bad calls go against them and it was funny to hear the commentator ask if we were the home team and if we were in Panama City. Seemed to even out later.

Johnson scoring a natural hatrick as a sub was something. Granted McBride so would have had that last one if Johnson had not gotten in front of him. He second goal was great though just because of the all the play with the ball before he heads it in. Anyway Johnson is the first US sub to score a hatrick. Kind of cool.

Did that guy that got his first cap get credited with the sixth goal? I know that they were officially calling it an own goal but I was hoping they would change it. I think he was the last one to touch it. Him or McBride.

edit: Just read where it was an own goal deflected off Onyewu's header.
    Last edited by MTR; October 14th, 2004 at 9:23 AM.

Simon
    This isn't Eddie Johnson the Manchester United youth player, is it?

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Plays for the Dallas Burn in MLS according to bio on ussoccer.com. Here is a link to the bio:

http://www.ussoccer.com/bio/bio.sps?iBiographyID=7980

Link to bio on the MLS site:

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/players/bi...erId=joh437318

Looks like he is the points leader with 25 points in MLS so far. Not bad.
    Last edited by MTR; October 14th, 2004 at 10:51 AM.

my Ole Solskjaer, you make me happy when skies are grey. And Alan Shearer was fucking dearer so please don't take my Solskjaer away
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HB2K4
    This isn't Eddie Johnson the Manchester United youth player, is it?
    Don't think so, our Eddie Johnson has represented England up to U20 level so I assume he's British.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Ugh. Typed out something and lost it.

Anyway MLS playoffs going on. Revs end Crews 18 game unbeaten streak.

Tons of draws this season.

Adu sat out first game in playoffs after playing in every game during the season to rest shoulder.

Dates for next round of WC qualifying are set. Just waiting to see who else makes it and then they draw to see who faces who on those dates. Four sets of double dates where you play two games in one week. One at home and one on the road.

Adu should get to play in the next game to see how far he has come since the game is meaningless to us.

I can get free tickets for an indoor game tonight for the St. Louis team. Did not know until yesterday though. So no time to work out to go. Would have been fun to take Katlyn to the game. Probably get more free ticket chances later.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I totally forgot how much I like the indoor game. The St. Louis Steamers took the defending champs Baltimore Blast to OT before losing 8-7. Good game. The Blast goalie fucking rocks. The Steamers could have had way more goals but he was just like a god out there in the first half only giving up 2 goals and making some saves that just seemed impossible. He was more human in the second half but still made some great saves. Steamers finally took the lead with 1:55 left in the game but could not hold on. Anyway the new owners are doing wonders to get attention for this team. They moved them from St. Charles to the Savvis center. They have a conterversial ad campaign going. They are going to do a reality tv show. And they went out and got some talent to start rebuilding this team.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Just read where Univision will carry all the Gold Cup games next year. Why can't Fox Sports or ESPN fucking cover the games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *insert St. Louis Steamers moving to Cleveland joke here*

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

They should go back to being the Ambush.

I was checking out the webiste for the league. We have a Mexican team now it seems. Poor league only has 8 teams.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    So the Crew are out after that 18 game unbeaten streak. Wow. DC United moved on with Adu getting an assist. Not bad. The Quakes are out though.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    So then, any players that have looked really good and you think might be heading for a move to Europe?

The Real Rajah United Xtreme Rebel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't the MLS hook up with the other American leagues, like the A league, so they can add more teams and have relegation and such. This would also have the tournament (I'm blanking on the name right now America Cup maybe, no that doesn't sound right) make a little more sense. And also I could finally get to see my Thunder kick some MLS butt like they've been doing for five years in friendlies and have it count for something.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Is that not like The Premiership joing up with the Conference, MTR?

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastodon RM
    So then, any players that have looked really good and you think might be heading for a move to Europe?
    Landon maybe. That German team wants him back last I checked. Beasley just went over there. No names really stick out to me off hand.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme Rebel
    Why don't the MLS hook up with the other American leagues, like the A league, so they can add more teams and have relegation and such. This would also have the tournament (I'm blanking on the name right now America Cup maybe, no that doesn't sound right) make a little more sense. And also I could finally get to see my Thunder kick some MLS butt like they've been doing for five years in friendlies and have it count for something.
    In theory that would not be bad. Basically be set up like England. Top tier followed by lower tiers with teams being promoted and relegated and such. But we are in the states. American people that are not huge fans like us would never buy it. They would freak if a team got relegated. It would not work.

I do believe that MLS needs to expand to at least 16 teams. Currently we have ten and will have 12 next year. 16 is a good size league. Move some of the better players from A league up and maybe try to keep some of the better US players and maybe recruit some foreign players. I don't know. I am just glad MLS is still alive at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joining with A-League and using relegation/promotion is infinitely better than pure expansion. Expansion is guaranteed to water down an already low talent level. I mean, have you seen the sides teams put out during international play? That also brings up the fact that there shouldn't be games scheduled during international weeks.

The point is, the cost of expansion is too high (literally and figuratively) for a league this poorly supported. You bring in A-League, with players already there to fill their rosters, with dozens of fans already there to fill the first two rows of seats, with stadiums they've already scheduled games for in between highschool football and cow bingo nights, and you're essentially expanding without much cost or risk.

And I definitely disagree that Americans would be averse to relegation/promotion. These are people growing increasingly frustrated at their professional teams paying exorbitant salaries to players who don't care whether they win or lose, and thus they have to pay higher ticket prices just to see those same unmotivated players. The idea that if you don't win, you basically become designated "not as good" would be a refreshing change for most people. Not to mention the feel-good stories about teams that get promoted. If relegation and promotion would work anywhere, it's in America.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I agree no games during international play. Europe does it so should we.

I am not against joining A-league and doing the promotion thing and relegation thing. I would go for it. I am just saying I don't see American people in general even the soccer fans going for it. I know that we all complain about ticket prices and all that stuff. Hell I do that. I did not go to one Cards game this season and won't go to a Rams game. I may make it to a Steamers game though. But the fans would reject it at first before embracing it. And well in America if it does not work immediately stuff usually gets scrapped.

So I could see it work and the fans embracing it in the long run but short term they wouldn't and things probably would just go back to normal and back to square one.

I agree though doing the merge is cheaper than expansion as much as I want to see expansion because I hate seeing league with 10 teams and 8 make the playoffs. And next year 12 teams with 8 making the playoffs. That is slightly better.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Adu and United in the MLS Cup. So does he start or what?

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Ching was comeback player of the year. Nice.

Adu was not rookie of the year. Figured he would be a sure lock just based on all the hype but he got edged out. Dempsey from the Revolution with 7 goals and an assist was the ROY.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    United are the champs again. Whoooooo!!!!!!

Adu is the youngest player in US pro sports player to win a championship. He did well as a sub in the second half. He has grown in his game.

Great game. DC comes through for their 4th title despite being down a man for most of the second half that included 6 minutes of stoppage time.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Jamiaca is out of the WC running. Who would have thought Panama would advance Good thing for the US. Looks like US, Mexico, and Costa Rica will get the spots in the WC. That leaves the other three teams to battle out who plays for the last spot against Asia.

Johnson scores again tonight. 5 goals in three games. Going over to train with Manchester United for a couple weeks with Spector who plays in the youth system for them.

I think the US should have won tonight but it was good to get rid of Jamica anyway it goes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See, I don't know if it was good to get rid of Jamaica. On the one hand, yeah they're a good team and can be a threat, but on the other hand, they're literally the only other habitable away stadium. Mexico City is clearly a nicer actual pitch, but playing Mexico in Mexico is like starting down two goals. I'd much rather have Jamaica in the group than Costa Rica, quite possibly the worst place in CONCACAF to play, between the state of the pitch and, more importantly, the pieces of shit in attendence. Not that Jamaica being in would have had any impact on Costa Rica.

PS: Completely forgot about the game.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    You forgot about the game? Shame on you. Donovan is still captain. They say the rumor is that he sleeps with the armband under his pillow.

Yeah I would have rather seen Jamiaca than Costa Rica but hey. We got rid of one threat though. Sure playing in Mexico and Costa Rica sucks but we can manage. Just got to get a top three spot.

I Rule ALL!!!!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We did it. We managed to get to the last 6. I'm proud of the efforts of our boys, they get better with every game. This new wave of Panamanian players has some potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan The Man
    See, I don't know if it was good to get rid of Jamaica. On the one hand, yeah they're a good team and can be a threat, but on the other hand, they're literally the only other habitable away stadium. Mexico City is clearly a nicer actual pitch, but playing Mexico in Mexico is like starting down two goals. I'd much rather have Jamaica in the group than Costa Rica, quite possibly the worst place in CONCACAF to play, between the state of the pitch and, more importantly, the pieces of shit in attendence. Not that Jamaica being in would have had any impact on Costa Rica.

PS: Completely forgot about the game.
    I would say Panama is the worst place to come play. Bad pitch and a rowdy and passionate crowd called the Red Tide, that rile up opposing players as soon as they hit Panamanian soil, specially on weekend games. We haven't lost at home in a long while. Remember, Panama played the US off the park when they came here and only tied on a lucky Cobi Jones goal in stoppage time.

Having said that, we'll probably get slaughtered on road trips. I don't expect us to qualify, but I think will give a creditable performance.

Having said

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Donovan is heading back to Germany.

http://www.sportsline.com/soccer/story/7920562/1

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The US has their WC qualifying schedule for next year. No sites have been named for the home games yet.

http://www.sportsline.com/soccer/story/7945252

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    u have a US soccer thread instead of a la liga thread?

Simon
    Perhaps because there are a lot of Americans on here.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Ugh. Half your posts complain about me or some other mod because you are too stupid to realize how stupid you are being. (gives self warning for that outside of Asylum)

Second, it is YOU not u.

And of course I have a thread for American soccer that covers MLS, WUSA(when around), men and women's national teams and college and other related topics to US soccer. Good chance for the Americans that are big football fans to talk and for the UK guys to ask questions and throw their two cents in.

Appearently no one has cared enough to start a thread for whatever it is you wanted to talk about it. Appearently this thread gets some discussion. Not as much as the English thread but it still gets used.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Watch a lot of the national championship game for the NCAA women between UCLA and Notre Dame. Noticed that North Carolina was not in the final four this year. Shocker as always.

Pretty good game. Some good players out there. That freshman goalie for UCLA did a damn good job and unfortunately just came up short. Give her credit though. She blocked two pk's when they went to pk's.

It was good to see ND tie it up and send it to OT after that own goal.

ND is only the second women's team to win multiple national titles in soccer now.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The last US game ever for Mia Hamm, Joy Fawcett, and Julie Foudy and instead of showing it ESPN or ESPN2 it was opted to show it on ESPN Classic.

They talk about how big they are and how people love them and all that jazz yet they won't show the fucking game on a channel most people get. Way to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NO ONE CARES!!!

NO ONE WATCHES US SOCCER

seriously...US soccer is a disgrace to the name "futball"...i'm glad they don't call soccer "futball" in the US...it would actually be a hurting the game "futball"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, ok... go back to your anime, you fag...

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by aahhsin
    NO ONE CARES!!!

NO ONE WATCHES US SOCCER

seriously...US soccer is a disgrace to the name "futball"...i'm glad they don't call soccer "futball" in the US...it would actually be a hurting the game "futball"
    Fuck off. Just because you don't like me does not mean come into this thread and be an ass.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Well damn I forgot to talk about the game. I did not get to see it of course but I read about it. Hamm added two assists to her stats. Too bad she did not add any more goals to that world record.

She also wore her husband's name on her jersey for the second half and Nomar's family was in the stands as well as her family. Sweet.

What a run. She has played with the team since she was 15. She is one hell of a player and I am going to miss watching her play.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Interesting article about MLS and Premiership over at ESPN.com

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=319256&cc=5901

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

US Soccer is threatening to pull players for the next qualifier. Stupid atheletes and unions and strikes and all that shit. Here I thought we had a sport in the US that would not have to deal with this.

I understand they have been playing without a contract for two years and all but this is the World Cup we are talking about. We are in the last round of qualifying. Just refuse to play friendlies or something but don't fuck your chances of playing in a World Cup and showcasing your talents on a world stage.

Here is the artile:

http://www.sportsline.com/soccer/story/8002760

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh this better not be anything more than posturing... if it's been two years, then why not, oh I don't know, do this shit at a time other than the final round of qualifying? You know, that whole 2003 thing, that would have been nice...

Unbelievable. This better get worked out.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah it better get worked out or I may have to go slap some players.

Anyway I saw the other day where Stewart is more or less done with international play and is leaving MLS to go back to the Netherlands and play for the team he started his career with.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Update on the situation:
    http://www.sportsline.com/soccer/story/8031042

They better work this shit out.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Spector is being loaned to Blackburn the rest of the season. Should get some playing time that way.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Mathis is heading back to MLS to play for REal Salt Lake. He has only played in four games this season for his German club.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

MISL just cut two teams from the 8 team league.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlin...320618&cc=5901

Anyway more teams are coming in next season but they will finish this season with 6 teams. Draft coming to move the players to other teams this week. Schedules will be adjusted as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MTR.

Could you please explain the rearrangement of the American Leagues to me. I got my ticket package from the Minnesota Thunder for Xmas and we're no longer in the A-League. Now its the United Soccer Leagues Division 1. PLease help.

Thanks bro

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I am not familiar with the A-league. Just MLS and starting to learn more about MISL. I am about to get off for the night but I can look around tomorrow and see what I can find out. I have been meaning to look more into that stuff anyway.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Here is a link to an article about it. The got rid of the A-league and now have to divisions and looks like it could lead to an European style system of promotion and relegation.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/socce...ivisions_x.htm

New logos to so you need a new avatar.

And the Thunder will open up against the champs on tv.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    http://www.sportsline.com/soccer/story/8070837

Still haven't worked out an agreement.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are Godly MTR. Thanks a bunch. Now if only the MLS will join up then the Thunder can finally play up with the big boys.

Thunder 3 - Galaxy 1 (USA Cup 2004)

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Well this is a step in the right direction and they seem to be interested in working something out with MLS for reserves. Maybe that is just another step. I would not be against a big join up and having an European style system if the fans get behind it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well one of my tickets is certainly going towards the opener so watch for me on TV. I'll also try to get to all of the USA Cup matches again

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I will watch for you if I remember that the game is on.

Steamers picked up some good players in the dispersal draft. Now they just have to sign them and come under the cap. They have second best record right now and are just going to get better. One of the guys they picked up is captain of the national futsol(spelling?) team

Just kind of sad that the league went from 8 to 6 teams just like that. They are adding a team next season and looking to find more teams.

Four of the six make the playoffs. Only two teams will sit out. Kind of like MLS.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Ugh. This needs to be resolved before the game.

http://www.sportsline.com/soccer/story/8086463

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I swear to god, if I have to go bust some skulls over this shit...

Fuck the USSF.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Okay, Dan. Lets go. Where do you want to meet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1801 S. Prairie Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60616

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    *starts checking flight information and figuring out how he is going to pay for the trip*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll put personal reimbursment in the new union contract.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in Iowa so I'll meet you boys there. So much for me thinking that soccer wouldn't come to this

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Anyone, How is Adu been doing recently? Has he improved at all as I heard he wasn't very impressive at the beginning, (understandably) and how often does he start games etc?

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastodon RM
    Anyone, How is Adu been doing recently? Has he improved at all as I heard he wasn't very impressive at the beginning, (understandably) and how often does he start games etc?

MLS season is over. He played in every game except one playoff game. He came in as a sub most of the time. Here is a bit from his bio on the MLS site:

2004: As a rookie, Adu was one of three D.C. United players to see time in every match on the campaign. Comfortable in either a forward or an attacking midfield role, Adu became the youngest player ever to appear in a Major League Soccer match on April 3, 2004 and became the youngest player ever to score a goal in League play on April 17, 2004. He was also named a commissioner's pick to the 2004 Sierra Mist All-Star Game and continued to improve throughout the year, tallying five goals in his freshman season. The phenom scored his first game-winning goal by providing the sole tally in a 1-0 victory over the MetroStars at Giants Stadium on October 2, 2004.

He ened up with 5 goals and 3 assists and his team won the championship.

He played for the U-20 team internationally.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by MTR
    MLS season is over. He played in every game except one playoff game. He came in as a sub most of the time. Here is a bit from his bio on the MLS site:

2004: As a rookie, Adu was one of three D.C. United players to see time in every match on the campaign. Comfortable in either a forward or an attacking midfield role, Adu became the youngest player ever to appear in a Major League Soccer match on April 3, 2004 and became the youngest player ever to score a goal in League play on April 17, 2004. He was also named a commissioner's pick to the 2004 Sierra Mist All-Star Game and continued to improve throughout the year, tallying five goals in his freshman season. The phenom scored his first game-winning goal by providing the sole tally in a 1-0 victory over the MetroStars at Giants Stadium on October 2, 2004.

He ened up with 5 goals and 3 assists and his team won the championship.

He played for the U-20 team internationally.
    Interesting.. What is your personal opinion of him and what talk over there is there on when he will come over to Europe?

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I saw his first game of the season and I watched the championship game. Both times he came in as a sub. He really showed some potential to be the great player everyone thinks he will be. You could tell he has come a long way from between the two games I watched. He made a great run in the championship game and had a chance to may be put the game away but it just didn't work out.

As far as going to Europe. I am thinking MLS can only keep him another year or so before he heads over. I know he has like a 6 year contract but I just don't see him staying here that long if teams are showing interest in him over there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MLSnet
    FOX Soccer Channel to debut Feb. 7
    FSC, a soccer-based network, will evolve from FOX Sports World

By*Jonathan Nierman*/*MLSnet.com Staff
    In an statement made Tuesday, Major League Soccer broadcasting partner FOX Sports World announced that the cable network will be transitioning to a soccer-based network called FOX Soccer Channel on Feb. 7. The switch will be made at midnight, though viewers will have an opportunity to preview the new channel several hours earlier during the National Football League's Super Bowl XXXIX pregame show on Feb. 6, at 2 p.m. ET on FOX.

FOX Soccer Channel will be the premier destination of televised soccer for the American fan, as the network will feature world-class games and coverage of leagues from around the world, including MLS. In addition to matches from America's top league, FSC will also air games from the United Soccer Leagues, the English Premier League, the English FA Cup, the UEFA Cup, the Toyota Intercontinental Cup and numerous top professional leagues from throughout Europe and South America.

"Soccer has long been the world's game and now it is increasingly America's game as well," said David Steinberg, executive vice president and general manager of FOX Soccer Channel in a statement. "Participation rates and attendance at soccer matches, including MLS games and international exhibitions, have grown dramatically in the past decade, and the United States national teams have excelled in both the men's and women's FIFA World Cups. We at Fox are committed to creating the single best place for American soccer fans, players, professional and amateur associations and business partners to converge and share in the phenomenal success of the sport."

FSC will have regular live coverage of MLS games and will also continue the weekly highlights show dedicated to the league, MLS Wrap. Coverage of the U.S. national teams and youth soccer coverage will be available to all of the network's nearly 20 million cable and satellite subscribers in the U.S. and the Caribbean. A new weekly show set to debut in April, Fox Soccer USA, will focus on the youth and amateur soccer scene in the United States. Coverage of soccer-related sports such as futsal (indoor soccer) and rugby will also receive time on the channel.
    The last sentence makes me feel better about this, as I do enjoy FSW's rugby coverage. Basically it sounds like they're not doing much more than just changing the name. Although maybe, just maybe, they'll show an EPL game *gasp* live! Five day old games are no fun.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I am excited. I would love to see a live EPL game but I am not holding my breath. Maybe a shorter tape delay though than days after the fact.

But the fact that we would have a channel for more games and more coverage of games over in Europe just makes me warm and fuzzy inside. Until I find out my cable company will not pick it up on analog and only on digital.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    There is an American ref in the running to be one of the refs at the World Cup. Kind of cool I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    USSF to start recruiting replacement squad
    Associated Press
    NEW YORK -- The U.S. Soccer Federation said Thursday it will start to recruit a replacement team for next month's World Cup qualifier after the union rejected an offer to go to mediation if players gave a no-strike pledge through qualifying.

The USSF said it will use players who have never appeared at a U.S. national team camp for the Feb. 9 game at Trinidad and Tobago unless the regulars, who are unionized, agree to a deal by Feb. 1. The USSF intends to hold a training camp for the replacements in Carson, Calif.

"The players' association has left us no choice," USSF spokesman Jim Moorhouse said.

Union head Mark Levinstein said the union would agree to a no-strike pledge only if management in turn agreed to start paying players under the terms of the USSF's latest offer instead of the agreement that covered 1999-02.

"We had many reasons to believe that their goal was to have our players play under the 1999 deal for another year without their having any intention of negotiating in good faith," Levinstein said.

The USSF said that if players had made a no-strike pledge through World Cup qualifying, which will end in October or November, it would have called in the regular players for the Trinidad game, the first of 10 for the team in the final round of the North and Central American and Caribbean region.

Last week, the union rejected binding arbitration because of the limits set by the USSF on what each side could propose.

"This is the second time in a week that the union has obstructed our efforts to get the U.S. men's national team on the field for the upcoming World Cup qualifying match," USSF president Bob Contiguglia said.
    Mother. Fuckers.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Now that I have calmed down some I think I am still going to kill the fucking union and kill the players for fucking up their WC chances if they skip the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pessimists. We could have replacement players for two or three games and still qualify. As long as we finish in the top four in a six team group, we'll be in. (Who is it we'd have to beat to get in if we finished fourth? Kazakistan? ) I still don't see what the big deal is. It's obviously not a good situation, and I want to see it get cleared up too. But it's not like anyone should be returning their tickets for Germany if we miss one game.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I know that we need to only finish in the top three to automatically qualify and we end up fourth we could probably still beat the Asian team but why even put yourselfs in a position to have to win or tie late round to make sure you get one of those slots. If they use replacement players for more than one game that could be a situation. You have to remember we will not win in Mexico. Best we can do is tie. And it is hard to beat some of these guys on the road period. So why put yourselfs in a bad spot when you don't need to.

I understand that the union wants a better deal and I can see why but still why fuck around at all with World Cup qualifying. Why play with fire like that? Why can't the players just play for their country and work on this a while longer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly. They've been playing under this contract for what, five years now? It didn't magically become an issue right before the final round of qualifying; the union purposely waited to try to get leverage, and now the federation is calling their (non-)bluff.

The contract is shitty for the players, and the federation deserves the blame for that. But the timing by the union is dick as well. In the eyes of the fans, or at least me, nobody is helping their cause. I want dearly to be sympathetic to the players, because they're getting dicked over hard, but the way they've gone about things makes me feel like the federation shouldn't just give in because of qualifying.

And look, I've been around the sport long enough to know that "any given Sunday" is far more applicable in soccer than in the NFL. Should four out of six be a given, no matter who's on the field? Sure, probably even the outright three. But the amount of times the actual national team has squeeked by in this past year (not to mention past Cup qualifying) makes me feel like it's no given with scrubs. Or I guess scabs, in this case.

And let's not forget the Cup draw. While nobody knows exactly how the top eight are determined, whether by pure committee or formula using the World Rankings points or some combination thereof, and while I don't believe any non-UEFA/CONMEBOL nation has been seeded, both the US and Mexico are high enough in the rankings that they'll merit consideration. But there is no way in hell they'd seed a team that didn't win CONCACAF. It's a long shot, but if the US can win the group with a good showing, they have to merit consideration. If they use scabs for even one game, that could be enough to put them out of the running. Again, it's a long shot, but a shot none the less.

I ate them before they ate me El Capitano Gatisto's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You never know, the reserves could go out there proud to play for their nation and win easily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're not even reserves though. The team would have to be made up of guys who not only have never been called up for a game, but haven't even been invited to a training session. By my research, that's 66 players. Theoretically, you're talking about a team with the 77th best player in the starting lineup. And that's assuming guys don't decline the invitation in a show of solidarity with the player's union, which almost certainly will happen with most players in MLS.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah I was reading an article on the world cup site and it basically said that any players would be coming from Europe's lower leagues and our lower leagues. And this is not the first time this has happened. Last time they sent a team out like that they got spanked.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Keller is heading to Germany.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlin...321944&cc=5901

I was sure he was going to head to the states and MLS.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    And the US U-20 team is qualified for the Worlds now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Various MLS Superdraft-related articles:

Real Salt Lake grants teen's dream
    Besagno, 16, chosen with the top overall pick

By*Charles Boehm*/*MLSnet.com Staff
    BALTIMORE -- Youth reigned yet again at the MLS SuperDraft in Baltimore, as expansion side Real Salt Lake selected 16-year-old wunderkind Nikolas Besagno with the first overall pick of 2005. Besagno is the second-youngest draftee in league history, surpassed only by last year's top pick, then 14-year-old phenom Freddy Adu.

Blessed with a useful blend of size and speed, the 6-foot, 175-pound Besagno has bossed the midfield for the U-17 U.S. national team since April, and was called up to the U-20 squad in November.

"I sit in the middle -- I'm a ballwinner," said Besagno. "I get in for tackles, win balls in the air and bring it down."

The Maple Valley, Wash., native expects to be worked into Salt Lake's plans gradually, with the new MLS reserve league his likely home in 2005.

"I'm hoping just to get in and play well with the reserve team," said Besagno. "My first season I'm not going to be playing much; I'm still going to be with the under-17s until September or October. I just want to get my first season under me, and hopefully in my second season maybe get a starting position, get some games, some playing time."

The selection reunites the defensive midfielder with his former youth national coach John Ellinger, now in charge at Real.

When asked if his relationship with Ellinger will ease his transition into the professional ranks, Besagno said, "Definitely. I know him, I know how he coaches. He knows me, my skills, what I'm good at. I think it's awesome that I get to play with him."

In fact, Besagno credits Ellinger as the driving force behind his decision to enter the draft at such an early age.

"It happened in September," says Besagno of his choice to go pro, "when Coach Ellinger told me that he thought I should play this year, that I should try out -- that's when this started."

Besagno describes himself as a tough, physical player, and admits he may have to adjust his game to the stringent refereeing standards of MLS.

"I've gotten a lot of yellow cards," he said. "It happens, but not purposely. I'll watch that -- I'm not going to try to get yellow cards, obviously, but I'm not going to lower my game."
    Chivas USA go for Guzan in SuperDraft
    Expansion club drafts goalkeeper with second pick

By*Charles Boehm*/*MLSnet.com Staff
    BALTIMORE -- CD Chivas USA made history with their first 2005 SuperDraft choice Friday, selecting former University of South Carolina goalkeeper Brad Guzan with the second overall pick. Guzan becomes the highest-drafted goalkeeper in MLS history, reflecting the immense potential that has earned him widespread acclaim as the top 'keeper available this year.

"It's a big honor, and I know a lot of players have come before me and set the bar," said the Home Glen, Ill., native. "I just hope I can follow and have the success that many of them have had."

Guzan confessed his elation to be selected so early in the proceedings.

"I had heard some rumors of this and that, but it was a shock," he said. "Until you hear your name up there, you don't really believe it 100 percent. So it was a little bit of a shock, but I'm very excited."

The former Gamecocks netminder may have to pay his dues this season, with Chivas USA apparently planning to bring in an experienced 'keeper from their home club in Mexico, but he's nonetheless eager to prove himself.

"I know that they have a goalkeeper there right now, so hopefully I can go in and just play how I know how to play and see what happens," Guzan said. "Nothing is going to be given to me, and I understand that. This is a business, and I'm going to have to go in and work for everything that I get, and hopefully it will all work out."

Guzan is braced for the always-challenging transition from the college level into the pros, a process that is typically even more difficult for goalkeepers. There's also the small matter of learning a new language.

"I think just the fact of going into the professional ranks, and adapting to that whole lifestyle, will be difficult, at least for the first year," said Guzan. "Going to a team like Chivas, I speak very, very, very little Spanish, so that's going to be a No. 1 priority.

"As soon as I get back home, I'm going to have to start learning some Spanish. It will be difficult at first, but I think everything will work out just fine."

Guzan is still learning about the revered history and style of CD Chivas, but clearly relishes the prospect.

"(Chivas is) known all around the world, and I think it's going to be good for them coming into the MLS," he said. "The fan base is unbelievable -- they expect a lot, and hopefully I can provide it.

"I think it's a beautiful style of play, knocking the ball around. That's just another thing that I'm going to adapt to. It's going to be interesting."
    Teams restock, shuffle rosters in draft

By*Jason Halpin*/*MLSnet.com Staff
    BALTIMORE -- Defense was the order of the day at the 2005 MLS SuperDraft at the Baltimore Convention Center, as 7 defenders were taken in the first round and 17 were selected throughout Friday afternoon.

Six defenders were taken in row from the fifth pick to the 10th pick. Southern University's Ugo Ihemelu started the string when he was selected by the Los Angeles Galaxy, then Drew Moor (FC Dallas), Hunter Freeman (Colorado Rapids), Troy Roberts (Galaxy), Michael Parkhurst (New England Revolution) and Jack Stewart (Chicago Fire) followed. The seventh defender selected in the first round was Tim Ward from St. Louis University, who went to the MetroStars.

Two teams, the Revolution and the Metros, selected only defenders. The Revs used their three selections on Parkhurst, James Riley (No. 21) and Tony Lochhead (No. 33), while the Metros' only two selections were used on Ward and Chris Corcoran (No. 25), though Corcoran played midfield for a large part of his college career at St. John's University.

Even though the top two picks aren't defenders by classification, defense is their trade. Expansion club Real Salt Lake made U.S. youth national team standout defensive midfielder Nikolas Besagno the top pick, and the league's other expansion team, Club Deportivo Chivas USA, followed RSL by selecting University of South Carolina goalkeeper Brad Guzan.

In addition to the fact that they are the first ever SuperDraft picks by RSL and CD Chivas USA, both Besagno and Guzan made a bit more history Friday. Besagno, 16, is the second youngest player to be chosen in an MLS draft, after D.C. united made Freddy Adu last year's top pick, and Guzan is the highest drafted goalkeeper in MLS history.

Generation adidas players were also popular in this year's draft, just as Nike Project-40 players were popular in previous years. The first three picks in the draft -- Besagno, Guzan and UCLA's Chad Barrett, who was selected by the Fire -- are all signed to Generation adidas, and seven total first rounders are part of the player development program. Eleven of the 12 Generation adidas players available in the draft were selected in the first 18 picks. The first non-Generation adidas player selected was Indiana University senior Danny O'Rourke, who won the M.A.C. Hermann Trophy in 2004 as the best NCAA Division I soccer player and he was selected by the Earthquakes with the fourth pick.

After picking Guzan, CD Chivas USA stuck with its roots, selecting three players of Mexican descent from the state of California. Midfielders Christian Jimenez (No. 14) and Aaron Lopez (No. 26) and defender Esteban Arias (No. 38), will all wear the red and white of CD Chivas USA in 2005.

While the mood at the draft was mostly light, there was a pause between rounds one and two to honor the memory of former Columbus Crew coach Tom Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald was killed in a motorcycle accident in early December. MLS Commissioner Don Garber cited Fitgerald's contribution to the league and introduced a video montage of the coach. In February, RSL and the Crew will play the first annual Fitzgerald memorial match in Tampa, Fla.

There were a bevy of trades made both before and during the draft. The San Jose Earthquakes made the biggest splash of all, trading midfielders Richard Mulrooney and Arturo Alvarez along with the 6th and 29th overall selections to FC Dallas in exchange for midfielder Brad Davis, an allocation and the 4th overall pick in this year's draft. The Quakes also got midfielder Ricardo Clark from the MetroStars in exchange for a portion of the allocation they received from Landon Donovan's departure and a youth international slot.

FC Dallas wasn't done dealing after their trade with the Quakes, sending the 12th overall selection to the MetroStars in exchange for a player to be named later. Dallas also dealt the 29th pick they picked up from San Jose to the Chicago Fire in exchange for the rights to goalkeeper Henry Ring.

The Los Angeles Galaxy were active Friday, as well, sending Sasha Victorine to the Kansas City Wizards and getting the 15th selection in the draft in return. The Galaxy also got an allocation from RSL in exchange for the No. 22 overall selection in the 2005 draft.

The New England Revolution got in the act by trading the 45th overall selection and a player to be named later to the Colorado Rapids in exchange for the 33rd selection in Friday's draft.

Thursday night, the Rapids sent the 16th overall pick to the Kansas City Wizards in exchange for the 33rd and 36th overall picks. The Rapids then handed the 36th pick to the Chicago Fire to complete the trade that sent Rey Angel Martinez to Colorado last summer.

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just thought I'd mention that Ryan Nelsen made a very impressive debut in our 1-0 win away at Portsmouth on Saturday.

By all accounts he was strong in the tackle, passed the ball well and was named in the BBC's Team Of The Week:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...em/3569808.stm

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't Ryan Nelsen from New Zealand?

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yer, came from MLS though.

Used to play for DC UNITED...YEE-HAW!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough.

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mokoena & Nelsen = £300K

Boumsong = £8m

HUGHESY! HUGHESY! HUGHESY!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shut up, you German cunt.

Simon
    What's happening with Adu? Cokehead yet?

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by HB2K5
    What's happening with Adu? Cokehead yet?
    Not yet. Not much right now except playing with the US U-20 team while MLS is in the offseason.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Replacement players in camp. None identifed so far. Some are from minor leagues and some are from the MISL. Areana says they are all outdoor players even the ones currently playing indoors. They did invite MLS players but all turned down the invitation.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlin...322195&cc=5901