Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Official US Football (soccer) Thread

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Official US Football (soccer) Thread

Seems like my MLS thread will not survive so here is a new thread for US football. MLS can be discussed in here along with national team discussions. The WUSA and women's national team discussions can take place in here as well.

Now the US has a match against Mexico today. Should be interesting considering it is in Texas and I am sure plenty of Mexian fans will be there. The US is not too focused on the match though since it is just a friendly.

The US has the Confederations Cup coming up where they will face Cameroon, Brazil, and Turkey. After that they have the CONCACAF Gold Cup as well.

A congressman has suggested that the US play a series of matches against Iraq once they reestablish their national team. I would like to see it but the US has a set schedule for this year already.

And the US is one of a few countries bidding to take the Women's World Cup after FIFA pulled it out of China due to the SARS epidemic. Canada has offered a stadium to use if the US does get the bid.

Okay that is all the US stuff I can think of off the top of my head.
    A girl worth giving up beer for?
    She'd better have a blowjob fetish or something... -DrEvil

"Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool."

HOTTY TODDY! Go Rebels!

OH MY GOD THE GOALTENDER MADE A HYPERBLOCK AFTER A GREAT HUSTLE BY THE STRIKER TO GET THE SHOT OFF

I thought about it..then promptly passed out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard that the Pittsburgh Eagles have a great offence this year.

GO EAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGLES!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The US Army drew 1-1 with the Afghan's didn't they?

I think one of the Afghan's scored a cracking overhead kick, or it was just a great goal.

Remember the Iran/USA match at the World Cup in '98. That was class.

AAZIZZIIII!

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever happened to John Harkes? Remember him scoring against Arsenal in 93 in the league cup final.

And what the most ginger man in football, Alexi Lalas? Loved that goatee.

my Ole Solskjaer, you make me happy when skies are grey. And Alan Shearer was fucking dearer so please don't take my Solskjaer away
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cobi Jones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember that American commentary during the world cup.

'The ball comes in to the danger area and Donovan top-bodies it into the scorebag'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cobi Jones

"Pipe Cleaners in your head, la la la la la" (To the tune of Brown girl in the ring)

I see this thread going nowhere.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Okay guys. Can we keep this thread from going downhill.

US Marines lost to some Iraqies 6-0. Which inspired the congressman to ask for a series of matches again Iraq.

Lalas is still playing in MLS. And he is clean shaven now it seems.

Cobi Jones is still on the national team and plays in MLS.

I think Harkes may have retired. Seems like I have not heard his name in quite a while.

And Iran had a good match with the US in the World Cup. They also had some other matches in 98 and 2000 with the US.

Azzizzi is a top player or was back then. I think he set some records during qualifing.
    Last edited by MTR; May 8th, 2003 at 2:44 PM.

You're rather attractive aenima's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question for MTR or anyone else who knows:

This kid Freddy Adu, what position does he play in?

'Cos I'm making him on Champo

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I have not heard that name. Give me a bit to look around. Does he play in MLS?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's been dubbed as America's first football breakthrough star and the next Pele, amazingly. And he's only 13 years-old. I remember seeing somewhere that he plays for Potomac Cougars (don't know what league they're in) and is being chased by Inter Milan.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Mike Lapper still in MLS? Last I heard he was at Columbus.

He played for Sarfend in the mid-90's. Good player.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Damn. How the blue hell did I miss reading about this kid. Adu looks like the next big thing in American soccer. 13 years old and plays for the U-17 team. He will graduate at the age of 15 from high school and probably head to MLS. Damn. He turned down a 6 figure salary 2 years ago to play for Inter Milan. Anyway he plays forward and can fucking score.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prior to joining The Crew, Lapper earned 44 caps with the U.S. National Team and represented his country at the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona and the 1994 World Cup, then played one season in Germany (VfL Wolfsburg 1994-95) and two in England (Southend, 1995-97). Lapper's professional career followed a four-year collegiate career at UCLA, where he helped the Bruins win the 1990 NCAA championship and was a first-team All-America selection in 1991.
    44 caps, an Olympics, a World Cup, but no doubt at all what the highlight was

Cheers MTR.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another question. Where is Landon Donovan playing? Is he going to a big European club?

He looked a promising player at the world cup.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Here is a link about Harkes.

http://www.mlsnet.com/content/03/mls0410wrap.html

Donovan plays for San Jose in MLS where was named player of the month for the month of April.

He is currently on loan to MLS from a team in Germany. They tried to get him back after the end of last season but he managed to talk them into letting him stay in the states. But at the end of this season they may call him back to Germany. He has not ruled out playing in Europe but he would rather stay in the US for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His [Donovan's] club are gonna get relegated from their league. So that may change his plans.

The Pride of the Midlands Prototype16's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What interest is there in MLS nowadays? We are always told there is very little interest in the game but what sort of attendances do the big clubs get and is the interest growing significantly at all after USA 1994 and the success of the national team at the last world cup?

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    MLS seems to gain more interest every year and at the end of the last World Cup after the team came back and the players went back to their clubs their was a lot more interest. It will still be a while before the US really takes to MLS. More of the teams are starting to get their own stadiums instead of having to share with other teams from other sports. Plus despite eliminating two teams in the last couple years they are talking about expansion for the 2005 season.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing that the MLS has in its favour is America's multiculturalism. There are so many people from Europe and from South America who now live in the States, and who are therefore from cultures which are very much pro-soccer. If MLS can provide them with a decent standard of the game then the fans are there.
    Last edited by Beefy; May 8th, 2003 at 8:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus if money is poured in, over time the MLS will get more and more players from the Brazilian, Argentinian, Mexican and other South American leagues. If these players can be attracted to the money and over time, the MLS will grow.

Also, as Beefy said the multicultural influences are there to create a fanbase. Also, the multicultural influences could help on-field as well.

But this won't happen over time, I can't think of the MLS having crowds as passionate as the ones that pour into the Bombonera or the Aztec Stadium. It will take at least 20 years of so and by that time, the USA will have a world-class team.

The expansion of the MLS can only happen if the national team succeeds, and USA in ten to fifteen years time, USA will have a world class team. More interest in the MLS, more players of a higher quality join, more fans then more people playing the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone watching USA vs. Mex?

Mex is fricken owning us... but its still 0 - 0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    0-0 (to the champions )

Originally posted by MTR
    Plus despite eliminating two teams in the last couple years they are talking about expansion for the 2005 season.
    Yeah, and everyone here in Florida wishes them the best of luck.

"Hey, MLS is getting big, and Tampa Bay is doing well, and there's lots of hispanics in Miami... Let's expand into Miami! YAY!"

"Um, Florida? Yeah, we know we just gave you another team an all, but uh... we're gonna need it back... and Tampa, too. Yeah, no team for you."

Bastards. And I maintain that Lockhardt Stadium is the greatest venue for a fan to watch a soccer match. Every seat is close (read: small stadium), none are obstructed, and the sounds of the game echo tremendously off all the concrete. Plus, no one went to Fusion games, so you could sit seemingly arm's length from the players. just thinking about it.

As for Freddy... well, I believe I've made my opinions known in the past, including this hot-ass graphic...

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Wish I could have watched the game yesterday.

Tim Howard had five saves. We were just talking about him the other day in the English Football thread.

The US used all MLS players. Only like 4 of the starters were starters for the game against Mexico in the World Cup. And Mexico only used 2 starters from the game against the US in the World Cup.

Anyway the use of all MLS players and playing Mexico to a scoreless draw shows that MLS is not all bad. It still has a long way to go before it is great but it is not bad.

I think someone mentioned getting more foreign players for MLS. MLS does not want that really. They want the league to be majority Americans. They do go out and pick up foreign players but there is a limit to the number on each roster and the number they can play on the field at the same time.

You ain't a beauty... Magnus Barelegs's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are Maurice Johnston and John Spencer still kicking about over there.

I know Johnston was at Kansas City Wiz for a while, I may have read something about him becoming their coach?

I think think Spencer is over there too, no idea where - I may well be talking out of my arse.

Oh, is Valderama still playing?

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Only stuff I could find on Johnston was stuff from Europe. I did not see anything about him playing MLS or coaching in MLS. But I am having trouble find stuff on Valderama as well.

Spencer is still playing and here is a link to his bio:

http://www.mlsnet.com/bios/john_spencer.html

I don't think Valderama is playing MLS anymore. His team was eliminated when the took the teams from Florida and I am not sure if he went to another team or just left the league. He was one of the top players. Going to keep digging.

edit: Valderama is not on a roster so he must have left to go elsewhere.
    Last edited by MTR; May 10th, 2003 at 11:08 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    In terms of the future of the U.S. National Team, how would you rank the following young stars?

Landon Donovon

Demarcus Beasley

Clint Mathis

Bobby Convey

John O'Brien

For me:

1. Bobby Convey - Freddy Adu aside, no ones future is brighter in U.S. soccer.
    2. Demarcus Beasley - A healthy mean-streak puts him just a hair above Donovon in my book.
    3. Landon Donovon - What hasn't been said already.
    4. John O'Brien - A younger, more polished Chris Armas.
    5. Clint Mathis - Too bad about his work habits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Donovan - THE face of US soccer, and deservedly so...
    O'Brien - Showed at the Cup why Ajax signed him...
    Convey - Unfortunately, one of the few US players who act like they're excited to play every time they touch the field...
    Beasley - still not sold on him as anything but legs...
    Mathis - a hard shot and a bad attitude; negatives outweigh the positives...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, looks like Spenno made quite an impact over there.

How good is the football on show? Do you see enough european football to give an idea of what level the league is at?

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Unless you have a satalite or something like that you do not get to watch much European football. If you have just cable then you just have to watch for listings and see if you catch anything on one of the ESPN channels or sometimes one of the Fox channels. I have not seen a game from Europe in forever.

Now as far as ranking those players.

Donovan-Right now he is really the man of US soccer and needs to run with it.

O'Brian- Looking for good things to come from him.

Convey- Name does not sound familiar for some reason.

Beasley- Good talent but nothing great unless he manages to head over to Europe and then maybe.

Mathis- Good talent but could be way better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Utd close in on US superkid
    Manchester United will use their pre-season tour of the USA to stake their claim for an American superkid who was making fools out of seasoned professionals before he was a teenager. Freddy Adu is being touted as the player who will become Uncle Sam's first superstar after excelling for the Under-17s last year against MLS Champions San Jose Earthquakes when he was just 12. United have contacted Adu's uncle - former Leeds United striker Tony Yeboah - about the possibility of him being a special guest of the club at one of their matches when they go stateside.
    Simon Mullock, Sunday Mirror
    Ohhhhh hell yeaaah.

I think it's the best thing possible for US soccer, if Adu comes to United. Are we the most famous European club over there in the states?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its the best thing for US Soccer if our top players play on teams that we can see. Manchester is known by soccer fans here in the States as the "Yankees of soccer". So yeah, they are probably the most well known team here. Probably them and Real Madrid. And playing for Manchester will be good for Adu, and his family. And to the talent of the US team. Cause obviously, playing for Manchester is going to improve his skill. But for the popularity of the sport here in the US, losing our top players to European clubs isn't going to get people to come out to games, and watch on TV. That's why Landon convincing his club to let him stay here was such a huge boost for US soccer. And although I can't imagine him staying here forever, I really think Adu should spend a good couple of years in MLS before bolting for greener pastures. Unlikely, as he'll probably only spend a year at the most in MLS, if he's as good as advertised. But I'd still like to see him hang around a while.

And who knows, maybe he can avoid getting one of those dorky English accents like Friedel has

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well my hope, an illogical one of course but a hope all the same, is that if the signing gets enough press, someone (ie. ESPN, ESPN2, Fox Sports World, etc) would strike a tv deal. Best of both worlds and all.

As for knowledge of Man U, the saying goes "Man U is the world's most popular club; Real Madrid is the most talented." At least, I think that's a saying...

PS: Everyone see the kid on the U-23 team get like a 70+ yard goal after Mexico brought their goalie up for a free kick in stoppage time? So awesome
    Last edited by Dan The Man; May 19th, 2003 at 7:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we do sign him or any other team does, he'll stay in America for a couple of years at least. Just so he's used to play a couple of season's at first-team level, then when he moves he'll slowly be taken into the first team football.

If he's that good, he'll have no problem adjusting.

Anyway, his success and then a tv deal for whatever team he plays in, and if he does well more people are going to take up the sport and then a process is created.

Just out of curioisty, who's the top earner in the MLS? And whats the average yearly/weekly wage for a player?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know when the two Florida teams were destroyed, there was a big argument about the financial side of MLS.

Basically, no one knows but the league officials. Hardly any details are ever given about a team, let alone specific players. If I remember correctly, each team is supposed to have a $1.7 million salary cap. But the thing was, it was widely believed that some stars were making close to $1million on their own, even though the league maximum is supposedly like $300,000 or something.

It's one of the least friendly aspects of the MLS from a fan's point of view, and one of the most confusing.

Bottom line: don't ask.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've learned my lesson...

Oh and that saying about Manchester United/Real Madrid, if it wasn't a saying before, it should be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Freddy Adu is the nephew of Tony Yeboah??!?!?

Why isn't he Ghanian then?
    I'm sure Ghana could use a football whizzkid to spice up their national game

Ach well, lets hope the poor kid doesn't move to a crappy European club and bury his career, briefly appearing in World Cups to show slight hints of quality.
    It happened to Denilson....

ARNIE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He left Ghana when he was 8, his mother won an immigration lottery. He is Ghanian.

He wont attain US ciitzenship till later this year.
    Last edited by s-pac; May 20th, 2003 at 1:17 PM.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Are you sure he does not already have citizenship? He is playing for one of the national teams already and I don't think you can do that unless you are a citizen.

I think Adu should head to Europe when he turns pro. I would love to see him stay in MLS but I think it would be better if he went to Europe for a bit and played for the national team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His best bet at this stage in his career would be to go to one of Liverpool or Man Utd, they have brought quite a few players through their Youth Systems that are now first team regulars.

ARNIE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was early march when I heard about the citizenship thing so he may have by now, not sure if he'll need it though to play for the U-17.

He already knocked back 750,000 to head to Inter, so I don't see him leaving the States just yet so Man U will have to wait a few years I think. I think the United States will do a good job grooming him into possibly the finest player to ever play maybe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When does the US Season run from?

It could be plausible that he spends time in both countries playing for a team in the MLS and training with a European club

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shit, I fucking hate ABC/ESPN. As if it wasn't shit enough that they only show one game a week. Now cause of the fucking softball world series, that one game a week is taped and shown at 1 Am. What bastards, I wish MLS would move to NBC. I mean hell, NBC is so dry that they are showing arena football now, they'd have to be willing to give MLS better coverage than its getting now.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    MLS started in April and goes through August or something I think. Some of the clubs play in tournaments in other parts of the year. Not sure when the smaller US leagues play though. I am sure around the same time frame.

MLS gets shit coverage. I never get to watch it.

ARNIE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adu's signed a $1million deal with Nike......

http://www.soccer365.com/US_NEWS/Nat...91_52287.shtml

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off to Man United he goes then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be Inter as well... or Barcelona...

...nah, we're Nike's flagship team along with Brazil. So wooop.

And we have to wait a year to sign him, shit he's gonna play at the Olympics at 14/15. Whoa.

So from the reports over there, are United favourite to sign Adu?

Oh and it seems likely we'll sign Tim Howard for $3 million in a couple of weeks. He's got a Hungarian passport so he can get a Work Permit and since we're probably selling our first two keepers or at least one of them - he'll be first choice in not too long. And if he's first choice here, you can bet your hog he's gonna be No. 1 for the national team.

The MetroStars general manager was pissed at the British press for building up his Tourette's too much...

I reckon all this (tour, players) is leading us to conquer the US in terms of the merchandising and all round being the team that the US admires the most.
    Last edited by Moz; May 27th, 2003 at 7:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No way is Howard gonna displace Friedel no matter how many games he plays for Man Utd. Not gonna happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, until Friedel has to use a wheelchair, he'll be #1... hell, I doubt he'll displace Keller as 2...

PS: US 2-0 Wales... Landon was *this close* to a hat trick last night

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You never know...

... probably not but dammit we can't have the third choice US goalie as our first choice, that's just wrong!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This time last year, Howard was sitting at home, as Meola was taken to Korea as the 3rd keeper.

Looks like ManU is getting a ManWho?

/me is witty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More like ManF******Who?

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Howard is the top keeper in MLS. Granted he is number three for the national team but Man. U will be getting a good keeper in him.

The roster for the national team's trip to the Confederations Cup has been announced. Here is a link:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlin...268689&cc=5901

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Freddy turned 14 today...

SportsCenter has a piece on him... video of him in a scrimmage against what looks like the Burn when he was 12: sick. First time I've heard him speak. He's got the personality to back up his skill. He's definately got what it takes to be a star on and off the field.

PS: The development center in Florida that he lives in now has him on track academically to graduate highschool next year. Not that college is in the picture, but still... it's nice to know he's not dumb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a hard time believing he's only 14...

... have they done tests or anything?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well he's not a tree or a fossil, man... I don't know what tests can be done.

But really, I wonder how hard it would be for you to believe if he were, oh I don't know, English.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think bone testing... or something.

It speculated his age in one of the Sunday papers, and you never know with immigrantss... and I'd be as sceptical if he was an immigrant in Britian.

Anyway, as long as one day he puts on a United shirt, I'd forget with this willy nilly.

Mr Successful.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Celtic have first option on him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ignore...
    Last edited by Moz; June 5th, 2003 at 6:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And Zidane as well.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    US opens up Confederations Cup shortly against Turkey.

Go USA!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looking forward to this game, i have an invested interest to see turkey get thrashed, just to decrease morale

should be a good game as well, with brazil in the same group they will both need a win to get to the semi's
    (they do have semi's right? first 2 from each group go through?)

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I am not sure how the Confederation's Cup is set up. But yeah US and Turkey really need a win here since they have to face Brazil later on.

edit: First place team from A plays second place team from B and then first place team from B plays second place team from A in semis.
    Last edited by MTR; June 19th, 2003 at 12:01 PM.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    1-1 right now. US gave up a penalty kick and Turkey tied the game on it.

Donovan has an assist on the goal but got a yellow for talking back to the ref over the penalty kick.

edit: It is half now with the score 1-1.
    Last edited by MTR; June 19th, 2003 at 1:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the US goal was a nice move but apart from that i think they've been pretty poor
    their defense against turkeys 3 strikers has looked very unstable

the penalty was dodgy but i loved tim howards dancing on the line, not sure if he actually thought he was going to put him off

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah I am just keeping track on the net and they said our defense is not all there but we are finding holes in theirs from time to time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice goal by turkey, it'd been coming for quite a while
    can't see any way back into this for american now

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Don't count us out yet. Now if they take a two goal lead though....

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Well Howard has some work to do but considering that this was only his 7th appearence for the team not to bad.

The US is going to have to beat Cameroon though and probably tie or beat(yeah right)Brazil to have a chance of advancing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan The Man
    Freddy turned 14 today...

SportsCenter has a piece on him... video of him in a scrimmage against what looks like the Burn when he was 12: sick.
    Eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    It was so disgusting that I almost reported the PM to get you banned, even though I like you, just because of the horror that I did not ask to be sent to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazurus View Post
    I'll double team you both like I'm Hobbz' mum.
    One in her pussy and one up the bum
    You think you're free like you've just been sprung
    But you'd better bend over for Cuncha's tongue.

Ahhhh yeah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do Five only show the highlights?

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Damn. US men playing Brazil and the damn stat tracker is not working.

edit: It is working now. Brazil is up 1-0 at half. Guess it could be worse.

Both teams need a win after losing their first matches.

Cameroon looks like a lock to advance with two wins now.
    Last edited by MTR; June 21st, 2003 at 3:58 PM.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Shit. US lost 1-0 to Brazil. US has one game left but they are not moving past group play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howard made some cracking saves. Very smart keeper.

Cameroon and France have definitely qualified for the semi-finals. And now it's between Columbia and Japan to progress from Group A. They play each other tomorrow. And from Group B, the match between Turkey and Brazil will decide who joins Cameroon in the semi-finals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a fucking pathetic display. We just lost most of our momentum from the World Cup by getting bitch-slapped in the Confeds Cup. Now we basically have to start over again. For fuck's sake, either suck, or do good. I wish they'd knock off the wishy washy BS that gives you hope, only to let you down. I get enough of that rooting for Philly teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude, calm down. First of all, no one in the world gives a fuck about this tournament. Hence the reason Arena basically said "Oh Brad, we don't care about this as much as we do about qualifying for actual tournaments, so don't even worry about coming." Hence the reason that, of the starters that lost to Germany in the final match at the Cup, only four started against Turkey. Hence the reason World Cup Champions Brazil lost to Cameroon.

We could have won every game 3-0 and no one in the world would look at us any better. It just would have been "Yeah, they do well when no one brings their best, but they'll never win a World Cup."

PS: "either suck or do good"? Every team loses, even Brazil, and we're not good enough "do good" regularly with the team that went to the Confederation's Cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its just tough to defend MLS when our MLS roster puts in this kind of performance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Turkey knocked out Brazil.

Turkey to win.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    What the hell? I went to see when the game was today and who was covering it and it is not being covered on any fucking stations I get.

We are defending our Gold Cup title here in the states and we can not even get ESPN or ABC who normally cover games for us to cover the damn game. There is no NBA right now. There is no NFL right now. There is no NHL right now. Just auto racing, MLB, golf, MLS, and tennis give or take some other minor sports and they can not cover the fucking game.

How is the US supposed to get support for their team if they can not get good national coverage of their games?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MTR
    What the hell? I went to see when the game was today and who was covering it and it is not being covered on any fucking stations I get.

We are defending our Gold Cup title here in the states and we can not even get ESPN or ABC who normally cover games for us to cover the damn game. There is no NBA right now. There is no NFL right now. There is no NHL right now. Just auto racing, MLB, golf, MLS, and tennis give or take some other minor sports and they can not cover the fucking game.

How is the US supposed to get support for their team if they can not get good national coverage of their games?
    A nude calendar.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

I needed that. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed. Yesterday was quite maddening when it came to finding the game not televised. And not just not televised; I don't even get the channel that has the next-day replay! And once again MatchTracker didn't work either. Philips might want to drop its sponsorship, because I now equate their stuff with the never-working MatchTracker.

But on the upside, a supposedly strong 2-0 victory, which means we just have to draw against the powerhouse known as Martinique to win the group.

But on the downside, the awesome Canadian upset of Costa Rica could end up hurting us, as we play the second place team out of that group, which may well now end up being Costa. I don't care if Canada did beat them, I'd still rather play the Canucks.

God they're bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2-0 over El Salvador is hardly something to be proud of... should have pissed all over them. Mind you, drawing 1-1 with Macedonia is nothing to shout about, either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet another brilliant Brit post in this thread...

Anyway. Guess who has tickets to one of the semi-final games.

No. No. Yes, me.

That's right, tickets to what will likely be US vs Brazil or Mexico. Sure, technically it could be Canada vs. Guatemala, but we won't think about that.

PS: US women 1-0 Brazil... but no one cares about chick soccer, so whatever...

I ate them before they ate me El Capitano Gatisto's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see Tim Howard is completing his move to Manchester United this week.

Is he really that good, or is it a cynical marketing ploy to break the lucrative American market?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a bad move. But then, he didn't get much time in high-profile games, because there's no way he's better than Friedel or Keller. I mean, he hasn't even been the third keeper for that long. It was Meola for a while, then a couple guys like Zach Thornton in the first few MLS years, then Meola again for the Cup.

That said, he looked really good against El Salvador, and I'm sure ManU has spent more time watching him than I have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah but they'd be pretty desperate to gain a merchandising foothold in the US. As long as he is decent, or even quite good, they could attempt to market him. Funny it coincides with a tour in the US this summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess. I mean, it's ManU, and everything I know about them is that they're marketing machines. It's just that, there's a good number (ie. more than one) of Americans already playing in Europe, including our top two keepers and our national team captain. I'd have to think they're all more marketable than Howard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe, but at £1.8 million, a potentially good to great goalkeeper is a snip (he is only 24). United already have 3 decent to good goalies.

United are a business as well as a sporting team. I mean, part of the whole Ronaldinho thing is his marketability in Asia, and his status as the face of Nike.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Howard is the top keeper in MLS according to many so he can't be all bad. He has done well in the few matches he has played for the US. He is not the top keeper for the US but he is still talented. I am sure Man U sees marketing abilities and talent in him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howard is not the number one US Goalkeeper, but that is due in part to the fact Friedel is the best Keeper in the World.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tremendous insight.

Anyway, 2-0 to the Champions, clinching top spot in Group C (ooh that was unexpected).

PS: I'm going to be five rows back for what will almost certainly be US vs. Mexico. OMG. Thankfully Mexico beat Brazil (on a really sweet header) so that I won't have to see the US play a Brazilian team that has nothing to play for and a roster that shows it.

Five rows from Landon. OMG. I'm gonna faint and blame it on the heat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan The Man
    Yet another brilliant Brit post in this thread...
    What's the supposed to mean? El Salvador are minnows; USA are apparantly top 10...

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    You so suck Dan. Just thought I would share.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Damn the US is kicking the shit out of Cuba and Donovan has 4 goals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    US vs. Brazil in the semis tonight.

Oh, and I'll be there, fifth row back.

Just thought I'd let you all (read: MTR) know.

Again.

You are my Landon, my only Landon!
    You make me happy when skies are grey!
    We have Clint Mathis, but he's an asshole!
    Please don't take my Landon away!

OMG. Most worthless post ever.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    YOU SUCK!

In case you missed it like the first fifty times I have said that since telling me you were going to the game.

Is it on tv?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Galavision. What the fuck? Seriously, it's summer; baseball is the only sport on. ESPN is so thin they're showing the Great Outdoor Games and SportsCenter twenty times a day. You'd think they'd look at the ratings the World Cup got and figure "we've got nothing to lose" and show the entire Gold Cup. But nooooo. It gets picked up by some channel no one has heard of and no one gets.

Seriously, what the fuck?