I'd like to see a pick and roll

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torn View Post
    Well it's not like people don't have set piece routines now. There is always going to be a limit to their effectiveness.
    Of course but it's an area in which big gains can be made and from the perceived sporting mentality I don't see why it hasnt been used as a focus more often.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I think most to a degree most teams do have a playbook of sorts or at least an idea of what they would like to do on set pieces. Definitely an area that could use more work. And maybe actually drawing out and practicing plays is a way to go.

The problem is making sure you have someone that is very consistent taking the kick that pretty much put it where they want it every time. When I was in high school we had a guy like that. He would just look at coach and say whose head do you want it on and coach would say hit so and so and he would do it.

Also have to have a person that is willing to do that as well. So many times I watch games and Ronaldo and others just fucking take the damn shot and get no where near to scoring. Drives me crazy. Try to make a play instead of taking a shot you are going to miss 85% or more of the time. The one time in high school that our coach said just shoot it to our set piece guy he was not sure what to do at first. He was used to making the play. He actually scored from about 50 yards out on a windy day which is why coach said shoot it but the point is that it didn't even cross his mind to ever just shoot it. He always asked the coach where to put the ball.

Hell is for Heroes Second City Saint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watching the USA/Guadeloupe match now, it's tough not to think Guadeloupe have the worst international kits going:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, the USA are terrible again tonight. Fortunately they're actually ahead this time.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    At least the held on to win this one though.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Clint Dempsey's goal-scoring record is quite impressive when you take into account how bad he is at scoring sitters.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Much better game from the US in the quarters to reach the semi-finals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was really hoping Mexico would lose, would've been delightful as fuck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also:

Jozy Altidore will undergo an MRI on his left hamstring on Tuesday in Houston to determine extent of the injury suffered vs Jamaica

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    How is Adu getting on? Is he playing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hasn't even been on the bench

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Little surprised he has not been on the bench at least.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Just got to say that if the US loses to Panama again I am going to hurt someone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I would be joining you on that. No reason USA shouldn't be final.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Clint Dempsey's goal-scoring record is quite impressive when you take into account how bad he is at scoring sitters.
    Didn't miss tonight

ADUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

UNSTOPPABLE. UNBEATABLE. Judas Iscariot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    AMERICAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

FUCK YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I really love how nobody gives a shit. US Soccer doesn't even give a shit.

I mean, seriously, it's only the Euro of our confederation.

I mean really.

If George Steinbrenner were the head of U.S. Soccer, do you have any fucking idea how huge this fucking thing would be?

I mean, fuck. I work with a bunch of soccer fans and they don't even fucking know the Gold Cup is going down.

Off of the heels of the World Cup, the Landon Donovan Shot Heard Round The World, US Soccer has done FUCK ALL to promote the sport here, and it's fucking criminal.

Gulati's gotta go.

There needs to be a petition... No, not a petition, a violent fucking UPRISING, to get a rich nutjob like Mark Cuban to head the USSF. Surely he'd see how fucking lucrative it would be to get the entire country behind the National Team. And he's rich and crazy enough to tackle the challenge.

I mean, seriously, it just makes me so fucking angry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Judas have you heard of the tyranny (and I truly mean TYRANNY) that recently went down at a Revs match?

Andy
    I've been watching this game, not sure how it's 0-0. Mexico have missed a few good openings and Honduras could've snatched it at the end of normal time there.

Oh, there's the goal. Honduras defend fairly well all game then concede from a corner.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    No, really, can we get Cuban in charge?

I'm serious. How do we make this happen?

He's richer than Jesus Christ, just won the NBA Championship, always looking to make his name visible. Imagine if he took the reins of US Soccer?

Think it would matter anymore about pay-to-play kids who outgrow it? It wouldn't exist.

"Oh, you've got dual citizenship here and some shit hole across the Atlantic? What if I told you your family will never have to pay rent again?"

From the get-go he's going to get Nike/Addidas/Reebok (does Reebok exist anymore? I have no idea) advertisements just because he's Mark Cuban, and clearly he'll see how lucrative it is to head the foremost juggernaut in the world most popular game.

This needs to happen.

We need to make this happen.

FOR AMERICA

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Second City Saint View Post
    Judas have you heard of the tyranny (and I truly mean TYRANNY) that recently went down at a Revs match?
    Please enlighten me since I'm in one of my fun RAMBLING ANGRY modes and don't want to Google it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Judas Iscariot View Post
    No, really, can we get Cuban in charge?

I'm serious. How do we make this happen?

He's richer than Jesus Christ, just one the NBA Championship, always looking to make his name visible. Imagine if he took the reins of US Soccer?

Think it would matter anymore about pay-to-play kids who outgrow it? It wouldn't exist.

"Oh, you've got dual citizenship here and some shit hole across the Atlantic? What if I told you your family will never have to pay rent again?"

From the get-go he's going to get Nike/Addidas/Reebok (does Reebok exist anymore? I have no idea) advertisements just because he's Mark Cuban, and clearly he'll see how lucrative it is to head the foremost juggernaut in the world most popular game.

This needs to happen.

We need to make this happen.

FOR AMERICA
    They're (MLS) attempting to advance the game domestically with more European style academies. They'll pay for travel, training and education which should bolster the compete level and as we all know, when America's good as something they pay attention. We'll see. Personally, it sounds like the same glass half full shit we've been hearing about for years i.e. WC '94, Generation Adidas, Donovan goal, etc.

Andy
    How's my man Henry doing for NYRB Judas? Has he made the sport more popular in the area and in terms of crowd size?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please enlighten me since I'm in one of my fun RAMBLING ANGRY modes and don't want to Google it.
    Excuse the lazy title of the situation:

http://www.thedrugisfootball.com/2011/06/fortgate.html

Andy
    Great handball goal from Hernandez there.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    How's my man Henry doing for NYRB Judas? Has he made the sport more popular in the area and in terms of crowd size?
    Of course not. Initial flux of interest and then it fades off as everyone worries about baseball, basketball and football (the American kind, not the faggy soccer kind).

That's just a thing that really needs to be realized by everyone, here and abroad. Much as I love soccer, and others do, it's a niche sport, but it's growing here right now like it hasn't since the NY Cosmos 600 years ago.

I don't know what it's like in Australia, but I believe it's a secondary sport to Aussie rules football, and they're going through ingratiating it in the national mindset and having a great deal of success with it, relatively speaking.

But from the moment we're born here we're playing baseball, basketball and football (the manly American kind, only fags play soccer).

But it's turning.

The fact that we're actually a force to be reckoned with is fantastic since it's a fourth rate sport here (I mean, fuck, NASCAR is the fasting growing "sport" here, and there's not a single fucking kid that can drive a car 200 mph in left turns around a track for six hours so they just sit and watch... but that's another discussion about how awful America is...) and we still manage to beat Spain in the Confederations Cup (should have beat Brazil until they were like, "Oh... shit, we need to remember we're Brazil!"

But anyway, through my rambling incoherence, it's picked up here, but it's rough. If you're an athlete, you go for a sport here that you can make money at. It takes a nutjob to pursue soccer, but happily that tide's turning little by little.

The rest of the world should really thank the gods that we're so slow going at it, since we already stand toe to toe with everyone and our best athletes are all off playing other sports they can make millions at.

If we were as oppressive as the rest of the world when it came to sports, we'd have won every single World Cup that's ever been hosted, but we appreciate freedom here, in the Home of the Brave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill Simmons once did a column on what it'd be like if football was as popular here as it is everywhere else in the world. Of course it sucked because it was Bill Simmons but it was interesting to imagine athletes from all these sports we play competing together on one team.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    USA vs Mexico. I am probably going to head out to the local football bar to watch the final. Hoping it is not too crowded honestly. I have not been since I took Gangers and his friends there last fall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch a landscaper on the way there

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Adu finally enters a game in the tournament and helps set up the goal. Good for him.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Of course not. Initial flux of interest and then it fades off as everyone worries about baseball, basketball and football (the American kind, not the faggy soccer kind).

That's just a thing that really needs to be realized by everyone, here and abroad. Much as I love soccer, and others do, it's a niche sport, but it's growing here right now like it hasn't since the NY Cosmos 600 years ago.

I don't know what it's like in Australia, but I believe it's a secondary sport to Aussie rules football, and they're going through ingratiating it in the national mindset and having a great deal of success with it, relatively speaking.

But from the moment we're born here we're playing baseball, basketball and football (the manly American kind, only fags play soccer).

But it's turning.

The fact that we're actually a force to be reckoned with is fantastic since it's a fourth rate sport here (I mean, fuck, NASCAR is the fasting growing "sport" here, and there's not a single fucking kid that can drive a car 200 mph in left turns around a track for six hours so they just sit and watch... but that's another discussion about how awful America is...) and we still manage to beat Spain in the Confederations Cup (should have beat Brazil until they were like, "Oh... shit, we need to remember we're Brazil!"

But anyway, through my rambling incoherence, it's picked up here, but it's rough. If you're an athlete, you go for a sport here that you can make money at. It takes a nutjob to pursue soccer, but happily that tide's turning little by little.

The rest of the world should really thank the gods that we're so slow going at it, since we already stand toe to toe with everyone and our best athletes are all off playing other sports they can make millions at.

If we were as oppressive as the rest of the world when it came to sports, we'd have won every single World Cup that's ever been hosted, but we appreciate freedom here, in the Home of the Brave.
    I thought that mini-league soccer was quite popular and the real issue was that few of the kids who play football (the proper kind with just one break a game) go on to continue playing it in their teens and adulthood.

That is only partially based on that Will Ferrell movie.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    More kids play soccer in youth leagues than any other sport over here. When they get older and in high school they switch to other sports. Probably because for some of them there is more a future for them in the other sports. More chance for scholarships to college or they have the talent to go pro in another sport.

Still a battle to get soccer into some high schools and colleges for that matter. My high school got their first team my freshman year. I was on the first team we ever had.

My university did not have a men's team. They added a women's team my freshman year but thanks to Title IX they were not able to add the men's team because it would have shifted the balance of men and women playing sports. Then again that is rant for another thread.

It is growing more on the high school level and college level. Growing in terms of academies and such kind of like what you guys have in Europe.

We can have a good World Cup yet nothing happens afterwards. People join the bandwagon for a bit and jump right back up as soon as college football or NFL starts up. Frustrating for a huge fan and supporter like me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/new...g-blatant-dive

"The Bionic Striker" Charlie Davies was fined $1,000 by MLS yesterday for a blatant dive in last week's match against Real Salt Lake:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckiBt1J0JaQ&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪Charlie Davies takes a dive‬‏[/ame]

Davies is a bit of a flopper but credit to MLS for trying to keep that out of the game. As far as the growth of the league domestically goes, integrity is something USA fans want to see. I think the biggest gripe on the beautiful game from the non-watchers here (after the "interest level of the game") is about the acting. Obviously these fines won't do much because 75% of the fans will see the dive and not the repercussions, but maybe it'll impact the mindset of the players and result in change.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Too me that was not some big dive. Looks like to me he tripped over the guys leg after the defender hit the ball. Not a foul in my view but not a dive either. That should have just been a play on type deal. Davies didn't flop around. He didn't try to make it look like he was hurt. He just tripped over the guys leg on a good tackle. I don't feel like he should have been fined for that. Many other dives that take place that should be fined.

Football, bloody hell!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very excited about tonight's game. Hopefully Hernandez destroys the USA

David Cox 1987-2007
    optimistic about his future at Rajah Palace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michael FUCKING Bradley.

Football, bloody hell!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The USA are getting battered, yet find themselves 2-0 up.

Bang, 2-1. Game on. Hernandez's movement is outstanding tonight.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    And tied. Good game.

Football, bloody hell!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha 2-2 in 35 minutes. This is incredible, neither side cares about defending.

David Cox 1987-2007
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hernandez is a smart fucking player. If he had touched that second goal it would have been offside. He is just a supreme player and I'm not going to like facing him for the next ten years. Good god what an explosive game so far.

Football, bloody hell!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's brilliant. Really glad I stayed up for it now.

Every time I see Giovani Dos Santos, I can't help but think that he'd make a very beautiful woman. Too pretty.

Football, bloody hell!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon Mexico will beat the US by a couple of goals. It's amazing that it's level considering the amount of chances the Mexicans have had.

In saying that, Bob Bradley is probably in the changing room right now giving a team talk about the star spangled banner, the founding fathers and 'team spirit!'.. the US may come out and obliterate them if your big budget sports movies are anything to go by.

David Cox 1987-2007
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll sub in Sylvester Stallone and Michael Caine.

David Cox 1987-2007
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking hell.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    3-2. This game is madness.

Football, bloody hell!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3-2. Barrera.

Football, bloody hell!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The USA just need to get on the ball and keep it for a bit.. get them Mexican's chasing the ball. I know, easier said than done, but barring a mistake/luck I can't see the US getting back in this the way they're playing.

David Cox 1987-2007
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who is this Adu kid? How come we haven't heard anything about him before?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone got a stream for the game?

http://onlineppv.epl-schedule.com/20...ream-ch01.html
    I found this link but its got one of those surveys in the way and 3 streams playing at the same time in the background.

David Cox 1987-2007
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually CONCACAF refs are refried dog turd but this guy seems pretty okay.

Football, bloody hell!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adu's looking dangerous. Not sure why he was such a failure at Benfica, great club and he's clearly very talented.

Football, bloody hell!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneEdge View Post
    Anyone got a stream for the game?

http://onlineppv.epl-schedule.com/20...ream-ch01.html
    I found this link but its got one of those surveys in the way and 3 streams playing at the same time in the background.
    links here, mate

http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?ma...79&part=sports

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    End to end stuff this is lovely.

David Cox 1987-2007
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's barely even time to show replays.

Football, bloody hell!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, this is unexpected. The USA are starting to get a hold of the game.. could be more goals here

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keano's Magic Hat View Post
    Thanks.

David Cox 1987-2007
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Striker in for midfielder. Look out kids.

Football, bloody hell!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJo the rabid monkey View Post
    Striker in for midfielder. Look out kids.
    as if this game wasn't open enough
    Last edited by Keano's Magic Hat; June 25th, 2011 at 10:33 PM.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Ooof what a chip.

David Cox 1987-2007
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for fuck's sake

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quality from Dos Santos.

Football, bloody hell!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whoa, fucking outstanding goal by Dos Santos. What a player he could be given a chance at Spurs

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess that's where the hype came from during his Barca days.

Football, bloody hell!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's looked top class all tournament.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is he still on loan or is he currently back at Spurs?

David Cox 1987-2007
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What the fuck is Sasha Kljestian doing he shouldn't even be allowed to buy a USMNT shirt at a store, much less play for them.

Football, bloody hell!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The USA could have scored enough goals to win this match in the last 10 minutes alone, as could Mexico.

Great, great game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJo the rabid monkey View Post
    What the fuck is Sasha Kljestian doing he shouldn't even be allowed to buy a USMNT shirt at a store, much less play for them.
    I will never understand why Bradley continues playing him with him looking as lost as he does. Kudos to sweatsuit for the Adu nod, though, that was a gamble that no one else would've had the balls to do. And for what it's worth, I liked the 4-2-3-1, it'd be nice to see it with Holden & Altidore back fit but I think Bradley'd go back to 4-4-1-1 or 4-4-2 then.

The Cherundelo injury killed the US. Granted, there's no real excuse for dropping a 2-0 lead in a tournament final...for a second time, so full blame is being placed. The backline was abysmal (shocker) and it could've easily been 6-2 if Hernandez's finishing was better tonight.

Dos Santos was a one man force tonight, Spurs should take notice of his performance throughout the tournament.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Glad I missed going to the bar for the game. Probably would have drank myself to death after blowing a 2-0 lead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Keano's Magic Hat View Post
    Adu's looking dangerous. Not sure why he was such a failure at Benfica, great club and he's clearly very talented.
    Honestly he was never given much of a chance. The coach that brought him over there was fired like two games after Adu got there. Went downhill for there. Bouncing around has not helped but he finally found a team in Turkey's second division where he is getting playing time. Glad he got to play even thought I was surprised he was called in the for the tournament. He take advantage of the opportunity and played well.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    This bites because this was the year to win to go to the Confederations Cup which is a nice warm up for the World Cup.

That and we lost to fucking Mexico who for the most part we had been beating over the last decade. Now we lose two straight Gold Cup finals to them.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I also don't understand while this is the qualifier for the Confederations Cup. We will play another Gold Cup before 2014. I didn't understand it last go around either when we played another Gold Cup between the one we won and the Confederations Cup. Not complaining there since we lost that Gold Cup to Mexico. Just figured the Gold Cup closest to the Confederations Cup would be the one to qualify the team that is going.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Same shit went down two years ago in Jersey for the Gold Cup Final.

These people are animal savages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were outnumbered probably 4 to 1 by Spanish fans but at least they were fucking polite about it. I can't imagine what it's like with Mexican fans in LA. Might as well have held it at Azteca.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah if we are hosting the tournament where Mexico is involved and it is easy to predict that it will be us vs them in the final. Don't fucking have it where they can outnumber us like that. I know at the end of the day it was money pushing having the final there or anywhere huge but sometimes it just kills me how outnumbered we get at home when it comes to fans. And then add to the fact that people can be assholes and the bigger the crowd the more assholes you have.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    So anyone watching or following women's world cup. US won 2-0 over the North Koreans who blamed the loss on a lightening strike earlier in the month. Saying they had not completely recovered from it.

Anyway US has not won the World Cup since 1999. They are number one in the world but they limped into this tournament and were the last team to qualify after having to play a playoff to get in. Should be interesting to see if they can pull it off or finish 3rd yet again.

Football, bloody hell!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aha

the women's world cup is atrocious. watched some highlights yesterday.. laughably bad

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Question. Why are Mexico sending a B squad to the Copa America? I read something about them having to, but what qualifies as a B squad?

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    We did the same thing a few years ago.

We put an emphasis on the Gold Cup here because it's our awesome way into the Confederations Cup (and a way for everyone to make a cash grab) but the fact that it's every two years when it should be every four, you know, LIKE EVERYONE OTHER FUCKING REGIONAL CUP, is something else.

Copa America sends invites to countries (the US, Mexico, whatever) to come and have fun with them, but full squads are never sent for a couple of reasons: coming off of our own Cup and that club teams don't much like their players running off for two separate regional cup runs.

Meanwhile we go down there with a squad primarily made of guys who are on the team but not important enough to mean anything to their clubs who need them to produce when the campaign starts in a couple of weeks for some cup that's not even a part of their region, and you get fringe starters and guys hoping to make a name for the National Team.

Except that's impossible because they're playing with a bunch of guys that know just as well as they do that their invite is pointless.

Which brings up another question of mine, and that's why aren't CONCACAF and CONMEBOL one fucking entity?

If the US were competing regularly against Brazil, Argentina, et al, on soil that's more hostile than California (CAN WE WIN IN FUCKING COSTA RICA WITH OUR A SQUAD, ALREADY, AND NOT JUST WIN BUT RAPE THEM? FOR FUCKS SAKE? CAN WE? PLEASE? FOR FUCK'S SAKE?) it'd get our guys more used to playing in front of crowds in other countries that actually don't like them, instead of playing here against Mexico in Texas or California or Chicago or New Jersey where a bunch of expats want to kill them.

"Oh, but that would hinder the smaller Central American nations! What about them!"

FUCK THEM.

You think anyone gives a shit about the Faroe Island in Europe?

I mean, really.

"Oh, no, what if Luxembourg feels like they can't compete!"

I mean, fuck.

If we want our boys to play, they can't stroll into Costa Rica or Trinidad and go, "Oh no! They don't like us!"

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    But then we can't make money off of Mexican ex-pats filling out stadiums to hate us in the name of a grander plan: putting that money towards developing our own Hispanic players (the millions of them), or a fuck head like Rossi, and getting them to commit to US Soccer.

Because that's what Gulati's doing now.

Oh wait.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    Question. Why are Mexico sending a B squad to the Copa America? I read something about them having to, but what qualifies as a B squad?
    Are they? Because if they do that and don't do well they won't get asked back. Ask the US. We sent a B squad down there last time we were invited due the back to back tournament issue and sucked ass down there and they are still pissed at us for it. Mexico actually sent their normal squad the same year. Only made a couple changes to it from the Gold Cup and sent them down. So a little surprised they are not doing the same thing this year.

For the record Judas, Africa does their cup every 2 years from what I can see and until recently Copa America was every two years same as the OFC Nations Cup.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?...america-mexico

This is the article. I don't get what the line about required by CONCACAF to send their second team but Dos Santos is still in the squad.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    It won't even be that squad that was named on that article since 8 of them (or something) were sent home for having a bunch of hookers at their hotel.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Well yeah there's that as well but let's stick with the main story first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried looking into it and the best reason I could find was that CONCACAF restrictions in because it isn't a CONCACAF tournament and they want to be meanies.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    That has not been a problem in the past. What the hell.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TFC have signed German midfielder Torsten Frings and Dutch forward Danny Koevermans as "designated players". Are these fellows any good? We need a lot of help.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    The sad part is Frings is going to play the role that JDG was supposed to play for us. So we have two designated player spots for the same position of holding midfielder. Hopefully Frings does a better job of it which I imagine he will.

Don't know much about Koevermans though.

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's a good forward. Think he'll do well for you. Not able to play for a couple of weeks

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, JDG has been a major disappointment. Hopefully Frings is a better fit.

A good forward for Europe? He'll be amazing in MLS then, I look forward to it.

Neither player is eligible for a few weeks. Better late than never though, particularly with a team that has never made the playoffs since its inception. I'll settle for "moving in the right direction" at this point.

Intercontinental Champion terencestamp7's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone go to MLS games? I'm seeing Red Bulls vs. Toronto tonight. Should be quite fun!

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I have not made it to a game yet. Closest teams to me are Chicago and Kansas City. If there was a team here in St. Louis I would be there a lot.

So the US Women suffered their first loss in group play at the World Cup. Previously 15-0-2. Sweden took it to them and came out on top. So instead of playing Australia next the US has to play Brazil who knocked them out of the last World Cup.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terencestamp7 View Post
    Does anyone go to MLS games? I'm seeing Red Bulls vs. Toronto tonight. Should be quite fun!
    TFC (Toronto) regularly sells out their 20,000+ seat stadium. I think they have like an 85% season ticket base or something. I haven't personally been to one yet but I would like too some day. They're one of the most successful teams, in business terms, in the league though.

And one of the least successful on the field. This is a common theme with MLSE owned teams.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by terencestamp7 View Post
    Well you saw a lot of goals at least. I've been to my fair share of TFC games. It's kinda of hard to get tickets to the games as Matty C said BMO field regularly sells out, but I think that's going to start dropping unless the form picks up a little. But a game at BMO field is a lot of fun. Great atmosphere.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The US women are in the final at the World Cup against Japan who knocked out the defending champs Germany in the quarterfinals.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Stupid Cup decided on PK's. I hate that.

Anyway Japan beat US on PK's to win the Women's World Cup. US had it won and blew the lead twice. Props to Japan for never giving up and equalizing twice and getting it done from the spot at the end.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I'm sure in '99 you didn't mind so much...

But yes, I do dislike the game being decided by Penalty Lay-Ups.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Actually I complained then too. Also complained in '94 when Brazil won over Italy that way. I can't stand it.