Thread: Official NHL Thread

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by swedish_sensation15

[color=royal blue]Straka broke his leg. The Pens are fucked.[/color]
    Let me re-phrase that for you.The Pens were fucked, now they are even more fucked.

Jobber
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by bionic_wolverine
    Did anyone hear about the deal the devils and stars made?

They sent Jason Arnott Randy Mckay and a 1st round pick to the stars for Joe Nieuwendyk and Jamie Langenbrunner. Does anyone else think that was a f@#$ed up trade or is it just me?

Personally I would have dealt Mckay, but Arnott?He's a great forward, has alot of skill and power, can score, a leader, and is fairly young. Nieuwendyk is a great player and can score but he is getting old.Langenbrunner is young and has potential but I still think it was a bad trade for the devils.Anyone else think so?
    Sh!t please tell me thats not true, Arnotts like my fave player. I'm a UK nHL fan so I'm a bit behind on news. What are the stars players like that they have in return?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dallas Stars got: Randy Mckay, 1st rounder, and Jason Arnott

New JErsey Devils got: Joe "I have no more knees" Nieuwendyk and Jamie "injury prone" Langenbrunner.

Nieuwendyk is old, good at faceoffs, good passer, but beyond his prime. He is a role player more then anything, albeit a skilled role player. He will definantly only help the Devils short term as his knees as kind of fucked up. Langebrunner will chip in the odd goal here and there. The only thing he has going for him is that he is young. If he was an old guy, people would be saying he is a defensive role player. But if Craig Conroy can become a scorer, maybe Langenbrunner can. Maybe Lou wants to go back to all defence again.

Awful, awful, awful deal in my opinion. NJ better hope they win the cup this year so they can say it was cause of Nieuwendyk's leadership or else they are screwed. I can't believe they screwed the A-line like that. And they lost a first rounder as well. Lou Lamorello is usually so smart.
    Last edited by Kid_Roll; March 21st, 2002 at 11:15 AM.

Jobber
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Kid_Roll
    Awful, awful, awful deal in my opinion. NJ better hope they win the cup this year so they can say it was cause of Nieuwendyk's leadership or else they are screwed. I can't believe they screwed the A-line like that. And they lost a first rounder as well. Lou Lamorello is usually so smart.
    Definately sounds a dumb deal to me. I guess just how dumb will show in the cup. I was going to come over to see ther stanley cup this year but I didn't think Devils would make it, now they've made a late fight and I can't afford the damn flight now!

Theres plenty of teams who people favopur more to win the Cup this year. Philli seem the best in the east and red wings currently have 104 points after 70 games which is way more than any other team.

I think we will see Devils reach the Quarter Finals this year but will probably lose out to one of those two, or the leafs, or the avs.

Supporting Radical Habits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Rajah
    By the way, have you heard of a young Swedish goalie in the Detroit Red Wings organization? I can't remember his name, but he's supposed to be really good as well. If I find it out, I'll edit.

The goalie's name is Stefan Liv. He was a fourth round draft pick in 2000, and is considered the best goalie currently playing in Sweden.

Along with Henrik Zetterberg, the two are showing that the Wings will have some fine home-grown (i.e.- not bought) talent to come in a few years.

Oddball side-note on Liv:

His uniqueness in the crease is paralleled by his unusual selection of mask-paintings. Liv's artist, David Gunnarsson, is the creative mind behind masks that feature pop star Britney Spears and the Swedish princess Madelaine. The motivation, many wonder?

"I think (Madelaine) is cute, and she represents Sweden, just like me," Liv said simply. "And," he continued with a laugh, "I hope she will call me some day."
    Oh, and Rajah, if you need anybody to dish you scoops from the heart of Hockeytown regarding the Wings, let me know. Most days at work I flip between the Wings' flagship radio station and the other sports station (who has a great record of breaking stories).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canucks lost!!!!! AHHHHHHHHH! Bad missed calls by the ref. First, they called an imaginary high stick on Bertuzzi, then they don't call the icing at the end of the 3rd period. What the hell was that? Damnit. Canucks have played 3 more games then everyone else. It is looking worse and worse for them, playoff wise. At least Bertuzzi has seemed to have finally shown the potential we all knew he had. He has played strong consitently for quite a stretch and is like 8th in league scoring. If only he hadn't been suspended for 10 games. Damn that loss hurt.

On the 8th day, God created Roy.
    Then on the 9th day,
    God realized his mistake and made Hasek.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canucks lost!!!!! AHHHHHHHHH! Bad missed calls by the ref. First, they called an imaginary high stick on Bertuzzi, then they don't call the icing at the end of the 3rd period. What the hell was that? Damnit. Canucks have played 3 more games then everyone else. It is looking worse and worse for them, playoff wise. At least Bertuzzi has seemed to have finally shown the potential we all knew he had. He has played strong consitently for quite a stretch and is like 8th in league scoring. If only he hadn't been suspended for 10 games. Damn that loss hurt.
    Definately a hard pill to swallow. First we had to watch Osgood save the penalty shot after Nazzy made such a brilliant move on him, then, when we have the powerplay at the end, Linden is called for interference ( ) THEN at the end, that icing not being called?

What the shit was that? There was no way Jovo couyld have gotten the puck before it crossed the red line, as he was going as fast as he could...

Ahhh well 5/6 games on a road trip ain't bad, and now it's time to face Edmonton at home. That will be huge. I sense a physical, emotional game...

And we better fucking win!

The Wisco Kid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woooo. Three third period goals for the Caps to beat the Leafs.

Hmmm...The Caps trade Oates and then get back to back wins against the 'Lanche and the Leafs. Works for me...

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    MattyC: That's the guy, Stefan Liv. I heard that Zetterberg was the like the MVP of the Swedish league last year and Liv was runnerup...not sure if that's true. Either way, Zetterberg is the same guy Sundin said would be the next Peter Forsberg. He's not as physical or big as Forsberg, but just as talented apparently. Can't wait to see him play for the Wings.

And as for tonight's action:

- Detroit wins in OT! Lidstrom three assists. God, he kicks ass. The best two-way defenseman in the league.

- Vancouver lost...they're gonna be in real tough now if they wanna make the playoffs.

- Washington...making a late charge for the playoffs. Jagr played like the Jagr of old tonight. Too bad Gonchar got hurt...anyone know how long he's out for?

- Toronto is probably counting the days till CuJo comes back. They're goaltending is good right now, but it's still a drastic step down from Joseph no matter how you look at it.

- Ottawa sucks. They haven't been helping Montreal out at all as far as making the playoffs go. Lost to Buffalo earlier in the week and now Rangers, two teams breathing down the Canadiens back. I dunno when I started cheering for Montreal, probably cause I wanna see Theodore carry his team to the playoffs. That guy rules.

That's about it.

Intercontinental Champion BoSox Rule's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Bruins are looking pretty good, huh? Ahead of Toronto by three points in the division.

2002 Stanley Cup champions: Boston Bruins

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hurray! You probably all don't know this, but I am a die-hard Flames fan. And even though our season is pretty well over, I am still looking forward to these final few games, and especially next season!

But the reason I'm so excited is because in about an hour I'm jumping in a car, going speeding up Highway 2 for a two and a half hour drive, and going to watch the Battle of Alberta Live in Edmonton! I have seen lots of Flames/Oilers games in Calgary before, but never have I seen one in Edmonton. I'm so excited! I got my face paint all ready, I got a Flames flag that is about 4 feet wide and 2 feet tall, and am ready to cheer my face off!

Woo-hoo!

"He's Henry, Clay Henry..."

World Champion
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck.

Canucks aren't making the playoffs now.

R.I.P. Dimebag -- 1966-2004 Swedish Sensation's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Clay Henry
    Hurray! You probably all don't know this, but I am a die-hard Flames fan. And even though our season is pretty well over, I am still looking forward to these final few games, and especially next season!

But the reason I'm so excited is because in about an hour I'm jumping in a car, going speeding up Highway 2 for a two and a half hour drive, and going to watch the Battle of Alberta Live in Edmonton! I have seen lots of Flames/Oilers games in Calgary before, but never have I seen one in Edmonton. I'm so excited! I got my face paint all ready, I got a Flames flag that is about 4 feet wide and 2 feet tall, and am ready to cheer my face off!

Woo-hoo!
    You're from Calgary? What part?

I live in Marlborough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Psychosport2000
    Fuck.

Canucks aren't making the playoffs now.

Hey, you still got a chance...

The Nucks've got Anaheim and the BJs in 2 of their next 3 games, so that's 2 sure wins, and you never know, they might beat LA... that's a big might.

Edmonton and Dallas play each other in about a week, so as there's not an overtime loss, they'll only get a combined 2 points, which is good for you guys. The Stars have got the Sharks and Flames coming up, and could very well lose both.

There's still hope.

You stay classy Planet Earth Jason_HBK's Avatar
    HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh... excluding that first Ha
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Oilers are playing awesome hockey right now. It just scares me because Tommy Salo is such a hot/cold goaltender. I hope he keeps it up and carries it into the playoffs.

Can we have one year where the Leafs don't play the Sens in the first round.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Jason_HBK
    Can we have one year where the Leafs don't play the Sens in the first round.
    Nope...

This playoff situation is so f'd up right now... StL, Edm and Phx all tied at 82, Dal has 80, and Vcr has 79. I'm guessing since Vcr and Edm have played 74 games and the rest have played 72, we're not gonna see any Canadian playoff teams in the W conf...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Things look grim for western Canadian teams......

But the Canucks won tonight, so at least I can pretend we are in the playoff hunt. With the way the west has been playing as of late, it just doesn't seem possible for the Nucks to make it. At least Bertuzzi is coming into his own, that is my only solace. That, and it was Linden's 1000 game. Yay Trevor! He is my fav player, was cool to see him getting a standing ovation at the game tonight.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    All together now:

Let's go Oilers...clap, clap...clap, clap, clap...Let's go Oilers...clap, clap...clap, clap, clap.

Etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by swedish_sensation15

Nope...

This playoff situation is so f'd up right now... StL, Edm and Phx all tied at 82, Dal has 80, and Vcr has 79. I'm guessing since Vcr and Edm have played 74 games and the rest have played 72, we're not gonna see any Canadian playoff teams in the W conf...
    If Salo can stay hot, then Edmonton will get in.

For the Canucks to get in they need Cluotier is going to have to be on his game and they will need the veterans to step up and score some goals.

Montreal is going to need help from spoiler teams to get in.

Who thinks Detroit is going down in the first round??

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Salo can stay hot, then Edmonton will get in.

For the Canucks to get in they need Cluotier is going to have to be on his game and they will need the veterans to step up and score some goals.

Montreal is going to need help from spoiler teams to get in.

Who thinks Detroit is going down in the first round??
    1. Salo has been the best goalie in the NHL over the past week or so. In his last five games, all of which were against teams either in the playoffs or fighting hard for playoff spots, he has let in a total of four goals. That is less than a goal a game! If Salo had been playing like this right after the Olympics, the Oilers wouldn't be in such a battle for a playoff spot right now.

2. The Canucks are pretty well screwed, unless two of the teams above them go cold. They are three points out, but give up at least two games to every team except for Edmonton. I think the Oilers will keep on playing hot and take a playoff spot, which means they are going to have to knock out two other teams to get into the playoffs. Their is always a hope, but I think the Canucks are gonna finish just short this year.

3. I don't think so. The Habs are tied for the last playoff spot right now with the Capitals, but have a game in hand on them. Plus they have a three point lead on the other teams chasing that playoff spot, the Rangers and Sabres. So as long as the Habs can win as many games as the Capitals for the rest of the season, and win that game they have in hand they have, they will make the playoffs.

4. No, no, no. Detroit will not choke in the first round, second round, third round, or finals. They have too good of a team with players who know what to do when it comes down to the important games. I can't see the Wings losing more than four games the entire playoffs, en route to the Stanley Cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Salo has been the best goalie in the NHL over the past week or so. In his last five games, all of which were against teams either in the playoffs or fighting hard for playoff spots, he has let in a total of four goals. That is less than a goal a game! If Salo had been playing like this right after the Olympics, the Oilers wouldn't be in such a battle for a playoff spot right now.

I agree

2. The Canucks are pretty well screwed, unless two of the teams above them go cold. They are three points out, but give up at least two games to every team except for Edmonton. I think the Oilers will keep on playing hot and take a playoff spot, which means they are going to have to knock out two other teams to get into the playoffs. Their is always a hope, but I think the Canucks are gonna finish just short this year.
    I agree

3. I don't think so. The Habs are tied for the last playoff spot right now with the Capitals, but have a game in hand on them. Plus they have a three point lead on the other teams chasing that playoff spot, the Rangers and Sabres. So as long as the Habs can win as many games as the Capitals for the rest of the season, and win that game they have in hand they have, they will make the playoffs.
    I agree

4. No, no, no. Detroit will not choke in the first round, second round, third round, or finals. They have too good of a team with players who know what to do when it comes down to the important games. I can't see the Wings losing more than four games the entire playoffs, en route to the Stanley Cup.
    I disagree. I don't think they will win the cup. They will have a tough time if they play the oilers in the first round. The oilers are playing playoff hockey right now. The Wings are garunteed a playoff spot. If they wan't to get far in the tournament they will have to keep sharp. They also have some good teams to beat in the Western Conference this year. I think they will bow out in the first or second round.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree. I don't think they will win the cup. They will have a tough time if they play the oilers in the first round. The oilers are playing playoff hockey right now. The Wings are garunteed a playoff spot. If they wan't to get far in the tournament they will have to keep sharp. They also have some good teams to beat in the Western Conference this year. I think they will bow out in the first or second round.
    I understand what you're saying, and you almost changed my opinion on them for a second, but I still think they are on their way to the Cup. I mean they have been guarnteed the top spot in the Western Conference for a while now, and the top spot in the entire NHL as well. But they have never really slowed down. They realize the games don't mean much, but still bring their a-game. So when they realize the games are important, I think they'll turn it up another notch. And if hardly anybody can beat them now, who will be able to beat them when they are playing even better?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand what you're saying, and you almost changed my opinion on them for a second, but I still think they are on their way to the Cup. I mean they have been guarnteed the top spot in the Western Conference for a while now, and the top spot in the entire NHL as well. But they have never really slowed down. They realize the games don't mean much, but still bring their a-game. So when they realize the games are important, I think they'll turn it up another notch. And if hardly anybody can beat them now, who will be able to beat them when they are playing even better?
    I don't know, teams that they would have killed early in the season have either beat them, tied them, or came damn close.

If you follow canadian football you will know what I am talking about.

The Bombers had their first round bye for about 4 weeks before the season ended. After they clinched they were barely winning games and were playing horrible football. They barely beat the Ti-Cats and lost to the Stamps. They had first place for so long they forgot what it was like to play desperate football. The Oilers or whatever team is in 8th are playing playoff hockey, which is desperate hockey. Plus the Bombers were overconfident.

My question is do you think the Wings will be overconfident if they play the Oilers. I think they will. They have a team full of cocky bastards. Especially Chelios and Hasek.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Detroit will NOT lose in the first or second round...I'm calling them to win it all, but if they lose, it will be at least the conference finals.

A very simple way of looking at it: There is NO team in the NHL that can beat the Wings four times in seven games given the way they are playing right now and throughout the season. I mean think about it - they just totally outplayed Colorado last week without their captain, Yzerman. Fedorov, Hasek and Lidstrom are all getting better as the season goes on. And the Wings have some young guys who are really contributing - Datsyuk, Avery, Fischer...they aren't as old overall as some people make them out to be.

Plus, the fact that they are so far ahead of everyone and have clinched the overall title means they can rest all their veterans and come playoffs, everyone will be rested and healthy.

I'm from Edmonton, but I'm sorry they aren't gonna beat the Wings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Detroit will NOT lose in the first or second round...I'm calling them to win it all, but if they lose, it will be at least the conference finals.

A very simple way of looking at it: There is NO team in the NHL that can beat the Wings four times in seven games given the way they are playing right now and throughout the season. I mean think about it - they just totally outplayed Colorado last week without their captain, Yzerman. Fedorov, Hasek and Lidstrom are all getting better as the season goes on. And the Wings have some young guys who are really contributing - Datsyuk, Avery, Fischer...they aren't as old overall as some people make them out to be.

Plus, the fact that they are so far ahead of everyone and have clinched the overall title means they can rest all their veterans and come playoffs, everyone will be rested and healthy.

I'm from Edmonton, but I'm sorry they aren't gonna beat the Wings.
    Colorado can beat the Wings. They have done it before. Toronto can beat the Wings. There are alot of teams that can beat them. The Blue Jackets almost beat them. They aren't that old but alot of their roster is getting up there. Stevie Y has been hurt. I just don't think they are as good as their record says they are.

Thats what happened to Winnipeg. Their players weren't used to playing and they got out played. Edmonton is basically playing playoff hockey. Their level of play is going to be much higher than the Wings.

Oh they will. They are ready and they will shock the NHL world.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    That's my whole point - any on team can beat any other team one any given day. We all know that. But the way the Wings are playing right now, no team can beat them four times out of seven. The only way the Wings are gonna lose is if they massively fall apart and after their disappointment last year, I don't think they will.

Also: There's still over two weeks left before the playoffs start. Just because the Oilers are playing "playoff hockey" right now does not necessarily mean they will be doing so in the middle of April...

I just hope Edmonton sneaks into the #7 seed and kicks the crap out of Colorado. That would be my dream come true.

P.S. Last time Toronto played Detroit, they got their ass kicked like 5-1 or 5-2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's my whole point - any on team can beat any other team one any given day. We all know that. But the way the Wings are playing right now, no team can beat them four times out of seven. The only way the Wings are gonna lose is if they massively fall apart and after their disappointment last year, I don't think they will.

Also: There's still over two weeks left before the playoffs start. Just because the Oilers are playing "playoff hockey" right now does not necessarily mean they will be doing so in the middle of April...

I just hope Edmonton sneaks into the #7 seed and kicks the crap out of Colorado. That would be my dream come true.
    The way the Oilers are playing, the othe rteams might as well not show up. They haven't been able to solve Salo and alot of the Oilers are picking up their game. Remember St Louis. Everyone was so sure they were going to win. I called the choke but my dad still put alot of Blues on our playoff pool, so we lost.

This might not even be the Oilers best stuff. But I agree, Salo is a Hot/Cold goaltender, just because he is hot now doesn't mean he will be come playoff time.

If you are a Wings fan then I can see why you hate Colorado. But I love when they play the Wings. There is always so much emotion.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Yeah, I'm a Wings fan...but the Oilers are my second favorite team which is why it'll suck if they face each other in the first round.

Hopefully Salo can play well this week...I have active on my fantasy team this week. I had him benched last week and missed capitalizing on his stellar run. Ouch.

Off topic, I noticed that you're a "Jimmy Van Mark". I have nothing against Jimmy, but his site = Kids on his newsboard steal Dan's results left and right and he sits there and does nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm a Wings fan...but the Oilers are my second favorite team which is why it'll suck if they face each other in the first round.

Hopefully Salo can play well this week...I have active on my fantasy team this week. I had him benched last week and missed capitalizing on his stellar run. Ouch.

Off topic, I noticed that you're a "Jimmy Van Mark". I have nothing against Jimmy, but his site = Kids on his newsboard steal Dan's results left and right and he sits there and does nothing.
    I hate when that happens. I can't stand it when Toronto and Ottawa have to face eachother. I hate to see one Canadian team eliminate the other.

Yeah, I figured after the OLY's Salo was gonna have a hot streak. You know alot about hockey so do you know why Patrick Roy didn't go to the OLY's.

Oh crap, you guys aren't rivals are you?? The only sites I go to are yours and his. His updates and reviews are as good as yours are. You have very similar opinions. Anyways, I don't think he knows that they are doing it. I'm sure that if he knew that they were stealing it from Dan that he would put a stop to it.

I have a site related question if you want to answer it. I was just wondering when the new columnist positions will be announced??

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada

I hate when that happens. I can't stand it when Toronto and Ottawa have to face eachother. I hate to see one Canadian team eliminate the other.

Yeah, I figured after the OLY's Salo was gonna have a hot streak. You know alot about hockey so do you know why Patrick Roy didn't go to the OLY's.

Oh crap, you guys aren't rivals are you?? The only sites I go to are yours and his. His updates and reviews are as good as yours are. You have very similar opinions. Anyways, I don't think he knows that they are doing it. I'm sure that if he knew that they were stealing it from Dan that he would put a stop to it.

I have a site related question if you want to answer it. I was just wondering when the new columnist positions will be announced??
    Roy...he always stated that he just wasn't interested, but I think he was just offended at not being announced as being on the team or maybe even as the starter. Like if Gretzky and them named him in the original eight, I bet he would have went. Probably felt insulted that he had to "compete" with Brodeur, Joseph, etc. to gain the starter's job.

And nah, we aren't rivals or anything. Hell, I've never even communicated with him. I'd only been to his site a few times in the past but on Monday, a mutual reader of ours I guess emailed me and Dan and pointed out that some guy on his staff was ripping off Dan's stuff. So I went to his site, browsed around and noticed it happening in other posts as well so I emailed him and asked him to address it. But he never responded so I assume he doesn't care. *Shrugs*

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roy...he always stated that he just wasn't interested, but I think he was just offended at not being announced as being on the team or maybe even as the starter. Like if Gretzky and them named him in the original eight, I bet he would have went. Probably felt insulted that he had to "compete" with Brodeur, Joseph, etc. to gain the starter's job.
    Roy said he didn't want to go because he wanted to focus on the cup to help his team, but I also think thats a load of...
    Like you said he was just offended he wasnt named the number 1 goaltender and didnt want to compete with the other goaltenders.

And for the record, i still think edmonton could make the playoffs, this game against dallas on saturday is absolutely monumental, we've always had trouble with the stars (obviously) but if we wanna make the post season we're gonna need to overcome that now. And i dont think i've ever been as big a flames fan as I am today... God i hope they beat the stars tonight

Go Oilers Go! And for tonight, Go Flames aswell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think everyone is overlooking the Bruins. They are playing excellent hockey right now. Did they trade Jason Allison??

The Canucks need to capitalize on the opportunity of playing Columbus.

The Oilers are playing the Kings. I think this is where the streak stops.

The Habs get the lightning. Montreal needs this win. Hopefully Jersey can beat the capitals tomorrow.

Like Duke I am a huge Flames fan tonight.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think everyone is overlooking the Bruins. They are playing excellent hockey right now. Did they trade Jason Allison??

Jason Allison plays for the Kings now doesnt he?
    Yeah, he was traded for Glen Murray i believe, at last years deadline? Can someone confirm that? Cuz im not 100% sure.

The Habs have really gotta beat the lightning, theyve only got one game in hand, and games in hand mean nothing if you dont win them.

And the Oil have their work cut out for them against the Kings, but i really hope we can pull this off, we need all the wins we can get.
    and for the oil, Go Ducks, Flames and Sabres!

Watch Your Fucking Mouth
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just wondering about which team will win the 6th place in the east? Who do you think will do it, Islanders or Devils?

On the subject of the Devils, with the way Langenbrunner and Nieuwendyk are playing do you think the trade they made was worth it?I am beginning to believe that it wasn't that bad of a trade fter all.

Big thanks to the Cool One for the sig

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always liked that trade from the NJ perspective,

I would say the Islanders will probably win the 6th seed and face carolina in the playoffs, not sure why, just a feeling they'l edge out the Devils.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CASSELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my god, he saved the Canuck's asses tonight. If the Canucks get into the playoffs, though, Bertuzzi should be named MVP of the team just based on his performance down the stretch, when it really matters. I am so disapointed in Naslund's play as of late, as this is the time you want your captain to pick up his game, and he didn't seem to come alive until the end of the game, but when he did, he looked great. He just needs to keep doing that. Go Canucks! It's going to be a close finish.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CASSELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my god, he saved the Canuck's asses tonight. If the Canucks get into the playoffs, though, Bertuzzi should be named MVP of the team just based on his performance down the stretch, when it really matters. I am so disapointed in Naslund's play as of late, as this is the time you want your captain to pick up his game, and he didn't seem to come alive until the end of the game, but when he did, he looked great. He just needs to keep doing that. Go Canucks! It's going to be a close finish.
    I agree with you COMPLETELY.

God the first half of the game was scary though, eh? Thank God they came alive at the end of the second, there.

Maybe we will make it after all...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I was just sitting in my living room, freaking out, just waiting for Columbus to score the 4th goal so I could turn off the T.V. Luckily they didn't, and Bertuzzi woke the boys up. It was so vital for us to get the 2 points in tonights game, especially with the out of town scores kind of going our way, except for the St. Louis game and Turek choking again to let the Stars get a point out of their game with the Flames.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, thank God for Tuzzi.

They really came out in the third and kicked ass though. I was positive they were going to win it after saeeing how they played in the third.

And I was SO pissed when Dallas tied it.

2-0 in the third and the flames couldn't hold on.

Ahh well, they only got 1, we got 2.

woo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, here are the playoff standings. I will update them as needed. Not the best table but it will do.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

1 DET.......113
    2 COL.........92
    3 SAN.........89
    4 CHI.........91
    5 PHO........89
    6 STL........86
    7 LOS.........86
    8 EDM........85

9 VAN........83
    10 DAL......83
    11 CGY.....73
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EASTERN CONFERENCE

1 BOS..... 94
    2 PHI......92
    3 CAR.....83
    4 TOR.....91
    5 OTT.....89
    6 NYI......85
    7 NJD......83
    8 MON.....79

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9 WAS....77
    10 NYR...74
    11 BUF...74
    Last edited by Jason_HBK; April 2nd, 2002 at 12:59 AM.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I'm happy VAN won, but I'm upset because Edmonton pulled off the win over Dallas.

I want to stragle Sydor for taking that stupid penalty

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Go Oilers! I take my words back - they will make the playoffs but it looks like it will be against my Red Wings. Grrr.

Vancouver keeps winning too, but St. Louis does as well. It would be sweet if Edmonton could wrap up the #7 seed and Vancouver could grab #8 with both Dallas and St. Louis on the outside looking in.

Also of note to Swedish Sensation: Barrasso got hurt today and I heard on TV that the Leafs were probably gonna call up that Tellqvist guy.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LA has not played well as of late, 0-3-1 on this road trip, they are only one point up on the Oil, we could even see them on the outside looking in, i hope both edmonton and vancouver can pull this off, and LA really seems to be struggling, so maybe we could see that happening, Any thoughts on that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love it, the Wings got beat. Dallas won but the Oilers are still 2 points up on them. But we need the Blues to beat Dallas.

Montreal is almost a lock for a playoff spot. They just need to keep playing the way they have been and they will get in.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Dude, Detroit is just screwing around now. Yzerman, Chelios and Hasek all not playing. Lidstrom isn't even making the road trip to the West coast this week.

Hell, did you see Hasek sitting on the bench without his equipment vs. Toronto? They don't care if they lose all their games now...they're readying themselves for the playoffs! They toyed with Toronto and tied it up before the Leafs could even react.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude, Detroit is just screwing around now. Yzerman, Chelios and Hasek all not playing. Lidstrom isn't even making the road trip to the West coast this week.

Hell, did you see Hasek sitting on the bench without his equipment vs. Toronto? They don't care if they lose all their games now...they're readying themselves for the playoffs! They toyed with Toronto and tied it up before the Leafs could even react.
    Man, that's the last thing they need to do if they want to win the Stanley Cup. I know from experience. In 1996, football's Denver Broncos won home field advantage throughout the playoff's 1 or 2 games before the season ended. So during those last games, they rested Elway, Davis, and the other and played the 2nd stringers. So then they played the Jacksonville Jaguars in their first playoff game and LOST after everyone had picked the Broncos to go to the Super Bowl. I know hockey isnt football, but if the Red Wings let their starters get lazy and only play in practices, they are going to be in for some trouble.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I think what they're doing is giving everyone a rest in these past few days or weeks and then bringing everyone back for the final week of the regular season so they get their momentum going again. In football, they play once a week so if you miss two weeks, that's like a significant chunk of your playing time. It's not that big of a deal in hockey where they play like four times per week.

Graduate of Bean University
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think what they're doing is giving everyone a rest in these past few days or weeks and then bringing everyone back for the final week of the regular season so they get their momentum going again. In football, they play once a week so if you miss two weeks, that's like a significant chunk of your playing time. It's not that big of a deal in hockey where they play like four times per week.
    In addition to that, it's the whole fact it's a best of 7 rather then just one game. Detroit can come back and play the worst game or even two ever but still turn it around in the playoffs. In the NFL if your off your game for 1 hour, your out no matter how good you are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I stand corrected. Well, I just hope the Avalanche and Red Wings make it to the Conference Finals and play like old times sake. I swear, the Av's vs. the Wings in the Playoffs have made some of the best games EVER. But I might be a little biased .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am telling you that is the wrong thing to do. Players need to stay sharp. Nobody cares that the Wings have already clinched a playoff spot. Especially the team that plays them in the first round. The team the Wings play will be sharp and will be ready because thye have been fighting it out for weeks just to make it to where they are.

How can you ready yourself for the playoffs by not playing? The players need to stay sharp and sitting on the bench isn't helping them stay sharp.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    This is pretty amusing.

If the Wings play everyone and lose, people will say all their players got tired. Now that they are resting some guys, people are saying they will get rusty. My opinion: give it up. Scotty Bowman is the best coach in the history of the NHL and that's why he earns the big bucks to make these decisions. Detroit has veteran players who know when they are tired and when they are rusty. Look at the Red Wings' own Yzerman: he didn't play for a month, then walked into Salt Lake City and almost was the best player on Team Canada playing on one knee.

Why don't we all just wait and watch how it all unfolds instead of second guessing Scotty and the way he is running this team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is pretty amusing.

If the Wings play everyone and lose, people will say all their players got tired. Now that they are resting some guys, people are saying they will get rusty. My opinion: give it up. Scotty Bowman is the best coach in the history of the NHL and that's why he earns the big bucks to make these decisions. Detroit has veteran players who know when they are tired and when they are rusty. Look at the Red Wings' own Yzerman: he didn't play for a month, then walked into Salt Lake City and almost was the best player on Team Canada playing on one knee.

Why don't we all just wait and watch how it all unfolds instead of second guessing Scotty and the way he is running this team.
    Who would say their players got tired. Whoever the Wings play in the first round will have been playing all of their players for most of the season. I can't see someone saying their players were tired when most of the teams in the playoffs have been playing all of their players.

If Bowman is telling his players to sit then he isn't showing me that he is the best coach ever. They should be playing to get ready for the playoffs, not sitting on the bench.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is pretty amusing.

Yea, thats the problem every time a team does so well that they clinch early. I guess the only way for your wings to get people to shut up is to win . Scotty Bowman scares me with his superior coaching. Thats the one factor the Wings have over EVERY team. But you can never tell what will happen. The top seeds may all lose and it could be an 8 seed vs. 8 seed Stanley Cup. We just have to wait and see....

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    The knock on the Wings is that they are old...if he played everyone and they lost, people will say "ahh, their old guys were tired" etc. etc. I've been a Wings fan since I was about 10 and I've heard this...in fact, just last year when Stevie went down right before the playoffs. "They should have rested him so he'd be at 100%". Now they're doing that and still getting criticism. Please.

Either way, I don't see how you could sit there and say "they aren't getting ready for the playoffs" just cause they are resting some guys. That's a really unfair and biased statement just cause you obviously do not like the Wings. I'm sorry but you're not close enough to the situation to know who needs rest and who should play. If you were so all-knowing, you'd be a coach right now.

P.S. Don't take any of this personally. I just get riled up when talking hockey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Detroit has enough experienced players to know when to turn it on. Any team that wins the President's Cup usually goes on to lose in the playoffs because they played too hard for the entire season. If Detroit was a younger team, and decided to rest its stars, I might say it was a bad move. But Detroit is old and experienced, Hull, Robataille, Yzermna, Shannahan, the list goes on and on. When playoffs come around, they are going to fly through their opponents. Bowman is smart enough to know he should let his older players rest, and give them some time off. He is brilliant when it comes to handling star players, and very rarely does he have a situatuon like they had in Dallas. He respects the players but in returns expects a lot, which works very well. I think Detroit will win it all, unless some of the old guys break down again, or if Vancouver makes the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The knock on the Wings is that they are old...if he played everyone and they lost, people will say "ahh, their old guys were tired" etc. etc. I've been a Wings fan since I was about 10 and I've heard this...in fact, just last year when Stevie went down right before the playoffs. "They should have rested him so he'd be at 100%". Now they're doing that and still getting criticism. Please.

Either way, I don't see how you could sit there and say "they aren't getting ready for the playoffs" just cause they are resting some guys. That's a really unfair and biased statement just cause you obviously do not like the Wings. I'm sorry but you're not close enough to the situation to know who needs rest and who should play. If you were so all-knowing, you'd be a coach right now.

P.S. Don't take any of this personally. I just get riled up when talking hockey.
    And if they were a young team people would say it's the lack of experience if they lost. Either way it's still the same nonsense.

Who says I don't like the Wings. I don't like some of the players but there are players that I do like. But it pisses me off when 1st place teams get ready for the playoffs by not playing all of their players. If the Oilers were in first and were sitting their players I would say the same thing. It is the same in every sport. Why do we see the best teams lose alot of the times. Why are there so many upsets. Because when a team clinches a playoff spot they don't play guys and in turn the players aren't as sharp or as ready as other teams players. The whole team should play. I don't need to be close to the situation to know that sitting games could do more harm than good.

How would playing all of my players make me all knowing. I am not singling out players and saying they should play. I am saying the team should play.

P.S. I don't. I am the same way about football.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Because you're talking like sitting games is ALWAYS a bad thing. Tell me how it's silly for the Wings to sit out:

- A 40 year defenseman who played 20 games last year and has played in almost every game this year, including the Olympics and the all-star game? (Chelios)

- A 36-year old captain who had knee surgery a few months ago and who played through the injury and the pain at the Olympics. (Yzerman)

- A Norris Trophy winner who is apparently suffering from a pulled groin. (Lidstrom)

- A former Vezina Trophy winner who has a sore back. (Hasek)

My main point is that Detroit is using this time to let their players rest and not just making them sit out for the fun of it. There is a point to this and with Scotty running the ship, as a Wings fan, I trust him to make the right decisions.

You have to understand something - Detroit is not sitting out ALL their good players for the remainder of the season. They are giving odd guys the night off now and again as it is deemed appropriate by the coaching staff. It's as simple as that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because you're talking like sitting games is ALWAYS a bad thing. Tell me how it's silly for the Wings to sit out:

- A 40 year defenseman who played 20 games last year and has played in almost every game this year, including the Olympics and the all-star game? (Chelios)

- A 36-year old captain who had knee surgery a few months ago and who played through the injury and the pain at the Olympics. (Yzerman)

- A Norris Trophy winner who is apparently suffering from a pulled groin. (Lidstrom)

- A former Vezina Trophy winner who has a sore back. (Hasek)

My main point is that Detroit is using this time to let their players rest and not just making them sit out for the fun of it. There is a point to this and with Scotty running the ship, as a Wings fan, I trust him to make the right decisions.

You have to understand something - Detroit is not sitting out ALL their good players for the remainder of the season. They are giving odd guys the night off now and again as it is deemed appropriate by the coaching staff. It's as simple as that.
    You never once said that the players they were sitting were hurt.

If they have that many guys hurt then they are in trouble. They won't win. If they do I will be very surprised. If they were all healthy and he was sitting them then I would have a problem. But you said alot of them were hurt. I can understand why he is sitting them but if I were a Wings fan I would be worried.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Only one guy is "hurt". Yzerman. The others are getting the time off so their pesky injuries don't get worse or they don't aggravate it, etc. How hard is that to understand?

Quotes from your last post: "they are in trouble", "they won't win". And you know this how? That's what kinda irks me - you talk like everything you say is a given. I haven't once said the Wings will win it all. In fact, Detroit may lose in the first round for all I know. All I've been saying is that there is more to it than your one dimensional critical way of thinking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only one guy is "hurt". Yzerman. The others are getting the time off so their pesky injuries don't get worse or they don't aggravate it, etc. How hard is that to understand?
    They are still injuries. Hasek goes down the wrong way and he could seriously injure his back. Now I understand why they are resting their players. Don't jump all over me because I don't know which Wings are injured.

Quotes from your last post: "they are in trouble", "they won't win". And you know this how? That's what kinda irks me - you talk like everything you say is a given. I haven't once said the Wings will win it all. In fact, Detroit may lose in the first round for all I know. All I've been saying is that there is more to it than your one dimensional critical way of thinking.
    If Hasek's back is bothering him then they could be. Plus if those nagging injuries catch up to those guys they could be. I shouldn't have said they won't win.

One dimensional? I am trying to see it your way. I don't follow the Wings very close so I am not up to date on the players injuries. If you had said they had injuries then I might not have said some of the things I did.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Dude, just listen to yourself now...if Hasek goes down the wrong way, if those nagging injuries catch up to them, if Hasek's back is bothering him. If this, if that. I hate to break it to you, but the "if" game holds true for every team, every player. What exactly are you trying to say??

I don't even know what I am arguing with you over anymore - whether it's justified for Detroit to rest players (this is what I thought) or whether Detroit will win the Cup or not (which seems to be your main objective).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude, just listen to yourself now...if Hasek goes down the wrong way, if those nagging injuries catch up to them, if Hasek's back is bothering him. If this, if that. I hate to break it to you, but the "if" game holds true for every team, every player. What exactly are you trying to say??

I don't even know what I am arguing with you over anymore - whether it's justified for Detroit to rest players (this is what I thought) or whether Detroit will win the Cup or not (which seems to be your main objective).
    The "injured" players have a greater chance of hurting their specific body part than others. True a player can be injured at any time but if you are already feeling pain then it can be easier to hurt your self.

If the players are hurt they are justified in resting them. How is that hard to understand. At the beginning I said it was stupid to rest their players. Eventually you told me these guys were hurt. Some more severe than others. If they were just resting them because they wanted them to be fresh for the playoffs then I would disagree. But they have nagging injuries so it is justifiable.

How is it my main objective. I made one comment about it. I took it back when I realised that I was wrong to say that. But resting their players does have an effect on whether they will win the cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You never once said that the players they were sitting were hurt.

If they have that many guys hurt then they are in trouble. They won't win. If they do I will be very surprised. If they were all healthy and he was sitting them then I would have a problem. But you said alot of them were hurt. I can understand why he is sitting them but if I were a Wings fan I would be worried.
    Fact of the matter is that, if your playing in the NHL & especially if your over the age of 30 or 35 your playing hurt. It's like wrestling, if Vince walked into the WWF locker room and said everyone who was injured could have the night off, he'd be lucky to have enough wrestlers their to make a 6 man tag match.

But for a team filled with younger players, it's much less of a problem then Detroit with their veteran line up.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Exactly. The only different with the Wings is that they are making it public knowledge who is injured and who isn't because they are able to rest guys.

Let me put it to you this way: If every team had the LUXURY of resting their players before the playoffs you can bet your bottom dollar they would. The Wings have earned this luxury by kicking ass in the regular season.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Wings will choke, Rajah, just face it. Just like your fantasy team will when I win it all

BTW, how far is St. Albert from Calgary?? I'm going to be there this summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by isuquinndog

BTW, how far is St. Albert from Calgary?? I'm going to be there this summer.
    I know that was for Raj, but it's about 2.5 hours to Edmonton, but St. Albert is on the north side of Edmonton so say about 3 hours unless the highways really busy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, well I will also visit the Edmonton mall (what can I say, I'm a tourist). Just wondering. He is wayyyyyy up north then.

Anything exciting to do in Calgary for a 23 yr old single male, DrEvil?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by isuquinndog
    Ah, well I will also visit the Edmonton mall (what can I say, I'm a tourist). Just wondering. He is wayyyyyy up north then.

Anything exciting to do in Calgary for a 23 yr old single male, DrEvil?
    Umm, not really. Why are you coming here if you don't mind me asking? What time in summer, if you come during stampede, (july 4th-14th) it's pretty lively here.

Theres lots of stuff outside of Calgary to visit, (West Ed, Banff, Sylvan Lake, drumheller (dinosaur museum) but the actual city is pretty drab, especially our club scene

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm visiting family, actually will be staying outside of Lacomb where my mother is from. I even have citizenship in Canada (or did till I was 18.)

Actually, I have been to all the places you listed, though I'm sure I will be going back as it has been about 10 years since I was last there. Thanks for the info though!

Supporting Radical Habits
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly. The only different with the Wings is that they are making it public knowledge who is injured and who isn't because they are able to rest guys.

But as you know with Scotty, not everybody is exactly 'hurt'. It just makes for a wonderful excuse to getting around that pesky rule of putting your 'best' team on the ice. Nick's sore/pulled groin?

Plus it isn't just older/hurt guys. Datsyuk didn't make the west coast trip either. He had played only 46 games last season in Russia, and he already has played 67 this season.

And somebody had to sit out to make room for Uwe Krupp to return after being hurt for like 98% of the season. Somebody else had to sit so that Ladsislav Kohn could get some ice time in after returning from Europe. It was pretty important to get both of these guys some playing time so that in case they are needed to play come playoffs, they would at least feel comfortable with their temmates.

Oh well, just bring on the playoffs...and Bowman's mindgames

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great night in hockey. Habs won and erome Iginla scored again and he still has 1 period to go. Last night was good too because the Stars lost. They got 1 point out of it but they will now need to pick a point somewhere.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy fuck.

Whatta hockey night tonight was

Dallas and St. Louis won, unfortunately.

But Vancouver won as well, and Wooooooooo Edmonton finally lost.

Their first loss in 10 games comes to Anaheim...

*shrug*, oh well.

I cannot believe theses standings. There are only 7 points (i think) seperating the second and ninth spot teams in the Western Conference.

Jesus...

Sabres won too, that's awesome because I do not want the rangers in the playoffs

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I can't believe Oilers lost...but they deserved it. I watched most of the game and they got dominated by the Ducks. If it wasn't for Salo, it would have been like 5-0 or something. They better wise up soon cause they have LA and Phoenix coming up.

Glad to see the Canucks win, but it's too bad Dallas won too. I think both of these teams are running out of games. They both have to hope Edmonton loses another one. One team that could be in trouble (although they are playing well right now) is St. Louis. I was checking out their last five games and in no particular order they have Colorado, San Jose and Detroit twice along with Nashville. That's a tough schedule.

As for the Rangers, don't worry. They are as good as out. I'm glad they're not gonna make it either. I just hope Montreal can hold off Washington and I guess Buffalo. Imagine if Edmonton, Vancouver and Montreal all make it - five Canadian teams in the playoffs! Wooo!

Okay, that's it for now.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for the Rangers, don't worry. They are as good as out. I'm glad they're not gonna make it either. I just hope Montreal can hold off Washington and I guess Buffalo. Imagine if Edmonton, Vancouver and Montreal all make it - five Canadian teams in the playoffs! Wooo!

Okay, that's it for now.
    That would be AWESOME.

I can see the semi-finals now-

Edmonton vs. Vancouver, and Ottawa vs. Toronto.

It could happen...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to see the Canucks win, but it's too bad Dallas won too. I think both of these teams are running out of games. They both have to hope Edmonton loses another one. One team that could be in trouble (although they are playing well right now) is St. Louis. I was checking out their last five games and in no particular order they have Colorado, San Jose and Detroit twice along with Nashville. That's a tough schedule.

Okay, that's it for now.
    Oh yea, that Nashville is a killer . When is the last time 5 canadian teams got into the playoffs anyway? They haven't been doing too well in the last decade. Hmmmm, when is the last time a canadian team won the cup anyway? I know it was Av's last year, then the Devils, then Stars, the Red Wings in 2 straight, Av's again and then im not sure. Never was really into hockey until I could actually see a game of it on TV . Stupid networks.

Watch Your Fucking Mouth
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The_shad, the cup history goes like this:

2001- Avalanche
    2000- Devils
    1999- Stars
    1998- Red wings
    1997- Red wings
    1996- Avalanche
    1995- Devils
    1994- Rangers
    1993- Canadiens
    1992- Penguins
    1991- Penguins
    1990- Oilers
    1989- Flames
    1988- Oilers
    1987- Oilers
    1986- Canadiens
    1985- Oilers
    1984- Oilers
    1983- Islanders
    1982- Islanders
    1981- Islanders
    1980- Islanders
    1979- Canadiens
    1978- Canadiens
    1977- Canadiens
    1976- Canadiens
    1975- Flyers
    1974- Flyers
    1973- Canadiens
    1972- Bruins
    1971- Canadiens
    1970- Bruins
    1969- Canadiens
    1968- Canadiens

That's all I can remember so far. I'm pretty sure it's right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the Hawks are all but giving away their first round home game where they have won like 27 games. They played like absolute shite tonight vs. St. Louis, a very important game. Talk about stress....

Watch Your Fucking Mouth
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The NJ and NYI race for sixth in the east is getting more tense. Devils won yesterday and pulled within one piont of the Isles.
    I still can't decide who's gonna win the 6th spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by bionic_wolverine
    The_shad, the cup history goes like this:

2001- Avalanche
    2000- Devils
    1999- Stars
    1998- Red wings
    1997- Red wings
    1996- Avalanche
    1995- Devils
    1994- Rangers
    1993- Canadiens
    1992- Penguins
    1991- Penguins
    1990- Oilers
    1989- Flames
    1988- Oilers
    1987- Oilers
    1986- Canadiens
    1985- Oilers
    1984- Oilers
    1983- Islanders
    1982- Islanders
    1981- Islanders
    1980- Islanders
    1979- Canadiens
    1978- Canadiens
    1977- Canadiens
    1976- Canadiens
    1975- Flyers
    1974- Flyers
    1973- Canadiens
    1972- Bruins
    1971- Canadiens
    1970- Bruins
    1969- Canadiens
    1968- Canadiens

That's all I can remember so far. I'm pretty sure it's right.

Wow, thanks dude. So the Canadiens are the last Canadian team to win it. Makes sense that the historic Montreal club with more cups than anyone would win it. They are the Yankees of hockey except for more people like the Canadiens .

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't believe Oilers lost...but they deserved it. I watched most of the game and they got dominated by the Ducks. If it wasn't for Salo, it would have been like 5-0 or something. They better wise up soon cause they have LA and Phoenix coming up.
    They played a horrible game in Anaheim last night. I can't really blame though. Knowing they got two games in two nights and the harder and more important game is the second one, the first one would be easy to overlook. But you think when you get absoutley run over for the first five minutes that you would realize you're in a game, and gonna have to work as hard as you can to try and get some points out of it. Things like this are usually the only things I blame on the coach.

The Blues are a team that could be in trouble, but after seeing them absoutley run over Chicago last night without Pronger in the line-up, I'm having second thoughts about them being in trouble. I mean they may haev a tough schedule, but every game but one is at home. And really at this time of year it doesn't matter who you play, it matters how you play.

I have the Rangers. Hate, hate, hate. They are without a doubt my most hated team in the entire NHL, with the Leaft close behind in second. So seeing them not make the playoffs with the highest payroll in hockey would bring a big smile to my face. And I am really liking the Habs lately. They have a young team without a lot of talent, but are riding their goaltender to the playoffs. Remind me a lot of the Coyotes. And with Koivu coming back tonight, how can you not be cheering for them?

The Wisco Kid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I am really liking the Habs lately. They have a young team without a lot of talent, but are riding their goaltender to the playoffs. Remind me a lot of the Coyotes. And with Koivu coming back tonight, how can you not be cheering for them?
    Easy. You could be a diehard Caps fan.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Tazmission

Easy. You could be a diehard Caps fan.
    I thought a die-hard Caps fan was one of those make-believe figures like Bigfoot.

Watch Your Fucking Mouth
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wanted to finish the list I started:

1967 Toronto Maple Leafs
    1966 Montreal Canadiens
    1965 Montreal
    1964 Toronto Maple Leafs
    1963 Toronto Maple Leafs
    1962 Toronto Maple Leafs
    1961 Chicago Blackhawks
    1960 Montreal Canadiens
    1959 Montreal Canadiens
    1958 Montreal Canadiens
    1957 Montreal Canadiens
    1956 Montreal Canadiens
    1955 Detroit Red Wings
    1954 Detroit Red Wings
    1953 Montreal Canadiens
    1952 Detroit Red Wings
    1951 Toronto Maple Leafs
    1950 Detroit Red Wings
    1949 Toronto Maple Leafs
    1948 Toronto Maple Leafs
    1947 Toronto Maple Leafs
    1946 Montreal Canadiens
    1945 Toronto Maple Leafs
    1944 Montreal Canadiens
    1943 Detroit Red Wings
    1942 Toronto Maple Leafs
    1941 Boston Bruins
    1940 New York Rangers
    1939 Boston Bruins
    1938 Chicago Blackhawks
    1937 Detroit Red Wings
    1936 Detroit Red Wings
    1935 Montreal
    1934 Chicago Blackhawks
    1933 New York Rangers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Oilers are basically finished. They are only up 2 points and have played 2 more games than Dallas. Vancouver has played one less than them so I think the Oilers may be out of luck. Unless Dallas goes on alosing streak, I think the Oilers will be golfing very soon.

The Wisco Kid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought a die-hard Caps fan was one of those make-believe figures like Bigfoot.
    Nope. But to make it even stranger...I'm a die-hard Caps fan from Wisconsin. Figure that one out.

Anyway...I think the Caps are done. They lost 5-4 to the Isles last night(the first time they've lost to them since '97 btw) and Montreal got a win over Columbus. So now the Caps are three points behind Carolina for the lead in the Southeast...and three points behind Montreal for the 8th spot...with only three games left.

While Montreal has a game in hand, as does Carolina. Not to mention Carolina's last four games are all against non-playoff teams.

So its not looking good.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worst possible scenario for Vancouver fans:

Someone in the ED/LA game wins in OT.

It happened...

Fuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkkkkk...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the odds of one of them winning in OT.........stupid exciting-easy-to-score-in 4-4 overtime. All the bottom teams in the Western playoff race keep winning. Why do they do this? Just let the Canucks in!

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A big thank you goes out to Anaheim tonight!! Good job guys...I so badly want to see Dallas miss the playoffs, and mostly I would love to see both Canadian teams make it (Edm & Van)....it's more possible with the Stars loss tonight.
    Good job too by the Habs winning...one more win guys and you're in!! whoooooo!!!

World Champion
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG YES.

STL loses, DAL loses, and VAN wins.

Woooo

it's about damn time.

Intercontinental Champion Y2Jay76's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Montreal beat Ottawa 3-1 last night. It's official now. The Rangers are mathematically eliminated from the playoff race.

Quite the fall for a team that was leading the Eastern Conference on New Year's Eve. It looks like they'll end up 10th or 11th now. Oh well, maybe next year.

By the way, does Carolina (or whoever wins the Southeast Division) automatically get the #3 seed if they win their division? Right now, Carolina has the 8th best record. That would be cheap if they get home ice advantage in the first round (and maybe more) with such a lousy record.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Y2Jay76
    By the way, does Carolina (or whoever wins the Southeast Division) automatically get the #3 seed if they win their division? Right now, Carolina has the 8th best record. That would be cheap if they get home ice advantage in the first round (and maybe more) with such a lousy record.
    Yup, the 3 division winners get the top 3 seeds and the last 5 get seeds based on their records. So my team, the Colorado Avalanche, has clinched a 2 or 3 seed by clinching their division even though it is possible that at the very worst, they could have the #7 record in the whole conference. Same thing with Carolina/Washington.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    What's even shittier with Carolina (at least as of this writing) is that if they were in the West, they wouldn't even make the playoffs, let alone be the third seed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's even shittier with Carolina (at least as of this writing) is that if they were in the West, they wouldn't even make the playoffs, let alone be the third seed!
    Every playoff system has its flaws. Football has one game deciding it all. Basketball (and hockey) have slots for the top half of the league. Baseball has too few spots. And in the college level, its even worse (my Buffs were screwed ). Carolina is just slipping through one of the loopholes. At least its not a less-deseving team. Carolina has had some bad luck with 15 ties!!!

Intercontinental Champion Y2Jay76's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it isn't too bad after you think about it for a bit. It's not as if the NHL plays a balanced schedule. I mean, if a team's schedule is weighted more toward divisional opponents, then it makes sense to make the division winners the top 3 seeds in each conference.

Your argument would be 100% valid if teams played against each other the same amount of times.

Still, it doesn't seem fair when you are in the same division as Florida, Tampa Bay, and Atlanta. And Washington is only barely in the picture because of their late season rally, combined with Carolina's recent struggling.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Yeah, I know. I wasn't saying it as a way of suggesting that Carolina didn't deserve to be in there. It was just a little and I guess irrelevant observation.

Anyway, thoughts on tonight's action:

- Carolina won which means that Washington needs a miracle to make it to the playoffs. I think one of Carolina or Montreal need to lose like all their games and Washington needs to win all theirs to make it. That won't be happening.

- LA outdueled Dallas which puts the Stars in a real precarious position. They are now two points behind BOTH Vancouver and Edmonton with the same amount of games I think. Vancouver is sitting the best since they theoretically control their own destiny from now on. Edmonton is decently positioned, but Dallas is gonna need a lot of help. Also something to consider is that I think St. Louis is not out of the woods yet. Apart from having a tough remaining schedule, their #1 goalie Brent Johnson is injured. Backup Freddy Brathwaite looked brutal on Sunday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canucks have a much harder schedule the Oilers though. Nucks face the Kings, Avalanche, and the Flames while the Oilers face the Flames, Wild, and one more chump team I believe.......All the NUcks have to do is win the last three.....PLease dear god let them do it.

And Theodore for MVP, I don't care how many goals Iggy scored, Theodore led his team into the playoffs. Iggy still rocked this season though. Is nice to see Canadian teams doing well, and someone besides Jagr winning the scoring race.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canucks have a much harder schedule the Oilers though. Nucks face the Kings, Avalanche, and the Flames while the Oilers face the Flames, Wild, and one more chump team I believe.......All the NUcks have to do is win the last three.....PLease dear god let them do it.
    Well, your dream is part way there. The Canucks beat the Avalanche yesterday and if the Cunucks make it, they may be playing the Av's again. But mark my word, the Av's will not be denied the Stanley Cup. Well, unless they lose .

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I forgot who it is but if a certain team loses tonight the Blues clinch a spot. If that does not happen all the Blues need to do is get a win in one of their last games to clinch. Not totally out of the woods but they should get in and keep their record streak in tact. They have been in the playoffs for a record number of straight years and yet to walk away with the Cup. That just plain sucks. Two years ago was their best chance. Best team going in and lost in the first round to the 8th seed. Then last year they made it to the conference finals and even swept Dallas on the way. So should be interesting to see how they do this year.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Probably Oilers. Edmonton is in 8th right now with 88 pts and 3 games left. St. Louis has 92 pts so if the Oil lose, the best they can do is tie St. Louis but the Blues would win the tie-breaker (most wins). St. Louis will probably make the playoffs barring a total breakdown but if they could fall to the #8 spot and draw the Red Wings in the first round. Coincidentally, St. Louis plays their last two games of the season against Detroit so if they lose those two games, imagine the psychological hurdle they will have to overcome to have any chance of advancing beyond round 1.

Speaking of the Wings, the man, the myth, the legend - Steve Yzerman returns tonight. Detroit will probably put all their top guys in this last week too to get firing on all cylinders. Wooooo!

World Champion
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh, Rajah...

VAN is in 8th place with 90 points.

EDM is in 9th.

And if Phoenix can take care of Edmonton tonight...

Woooooo.