User Tag List

Page 1 of 181 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Official NHL Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Official NHL Thread

I know only like 10 people on the board like hockey, but I love talking hockey so any chance I get to talk about it rules.

Soooooooooooooo, who is going to be moved before the trading deadline?

I thought Belfour would go to Toronto for sure, but with Schwab playing pretty good, I dont know if they will go that route. I am pretty sure Belfour will be gone for sure.

I think Bure will go to the Rangers, cause they have been buying their teams for the last 10-20 years, I see no reason for them to change now. Even though as a Canucks fan I hate the man.

As for the Canadian teams, I think the Canucks may need to make a move to take that next step trying to become Cup contenders. It really sucks that the 3 western based Canadian teams are all on the outside looking in. If my dream trade went through it would be the Sedins to Anaheim for Paul Karyia, and Ohlund and whatever the hell they wanted to NJ for Broduer. But Broduer will be a Devil for life probably, so I will be stuck watching Ohlund suck and the Sedins do nothing as usual. Yay.

So, who is going to be dealt before the deadline? What are your thoughts, all 10 hockey fans out there on Rajah.

On the 8th day, God created Roy.
    Then on the 9th day,
    God realized his mistake and made Hasek.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I'll talk hockey anytime, so let's see...

- I was never really a believer of the Belfour-is-gonna-get-traded theory because I always thought that Dallas wants him around for their playoff drive since Marty Turco has like zero experience. But Eddie is a free agent this summer and since Turco is ready, Belfour's day are probably numbered either way.

- Toronto won't trade for a goalie. As you said, Schwab is playing pretty good, at least good enough to keep them fairly close to the top of their division. I think if Toronto went on a huge losing streak after Joseph went down, they'd go get someone like Tom Barrasso or Belfour.

- Pavel Bure? Who cares...I hate that guy. Such a selfish hockey player. If he goes to the Rangers, it won't even matter cause there's no way he'll help them get past the first round IF they even get to the playoffs. If he goes to Dallas or Colorado or something, then that would suck cause I'm a Red Wings fan.

- Canadian teams...Edmonton needs to get rid of Poti ASAP but even still I am saying they will miss the playoffs. Canucks will make it but they need to sharpen up their goaltending. Cloutier is way too inconsistent. Calgary won't make the playoffs and probably won't make any major deals. Toronto will probably not make any major deals either unless Schwab self-destructs this week. Ottawa I think will make a deal or two. I heard Chris Philips is on his way out. And finally, Montreal. Jose Theodore is the fucking man, but they need tons of help up front.

Laterz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theodore is the man. I still think he should have gone to the Olympics instead of Belfour. And did anyone notice that Belfours Gold Medal broke and fell off his neck a couple of minutes after he go it? Sign from god! lol

As for my saddened Canucks, they need help in goal. Cloutier has been good at times, but never ever consistent. Hell, Skoudra played more consistent then him during the 9 game winning streak, and half his saves were made by the post. Bert played great last game, and he will need to keep that up and Naslund will have to pick it up again real soon for the Nucks. And for the record, I want Klatt of this team. I hate this man so much.

Flames won't make it. Signing Turek was iffy, since he is also up and down, but it is kind of nice to see a Canadian team get a so called big name goalie signed. As for IGinla, I hope the Flames can keep him, cause it looks like the disturbing trend of talent fleeing to the border will continue, even if the price is 5 first rounders. Just means 5 more first rounders for the Flames to develop so they can send them south again.

Poti is so gone. Everyone their seems to hate him, much like Murphy was hated in Toronto. Maybe he can go to the Wings and be as successful as Murphy was, lol. I heard the OIlers had a deal involving Milan Kraft, but they don't want him. I would hope the OIlers wait until a perfect deal comes along, cause Poti does have lots of potential. But Jovo is better

Toronto, I hate them, but I want them to make the playoffs. Seeing Broduer play instead of Joseph at Olympics ruled.

Ottawa, didn't know Phillips was on the way out. Would be nice to get him in Vancouver, since I don't like seeing Brian Helmer play on the ice.

As for the Wings, damn them. They took away Hasek from Buffalo! But that's ok, cause my Devils, my second fav team, will rebound and fly in the playoffs and will knock them off. They will! So what if they re-hired a fired coach within months! It means nothing!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul Kariya is rumored to be heading elsewhere. If he didn't make so money freaking money, I'd say the Devils could possibly pick him up.

The Rangers almost traded for Teemu Selanne last week before it was nixed. No matter what they do, they suck. Can't they accept that and just rebuild for a few years?

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony Amonte of the Hawks has been rumored to be on the move since the season started and our stupid owner won't pay him what he's worth. What a freaking suprise. Belfour, Hasek, Roeinck, Chelios were all Hawks all at one time....and they were all traded/signed away cause our owner and GM's are retarded.

Despite all this, the Hawks are playing well and will hopefully do well in the playoffs.

I wouldn't put it past Dallas to trade Belfour. Isn't he a bit of an arrogant guy in Dallas? Maybe he is causing some problems with the other players in the locker room? Who knows....there are some funny hockey GM's out there that will trade just about anyone.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man... whoeve gets Belfour has a geat goaltender for the playoff run. I could see San Jose pulling some strings and offeing maybe Teemu Selanne for Belfour.

Heathen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think Belfour's going anywhere too soon but he'll go eventually. There's just no need where Toronto's concerned (in my mind Schwab's the man) as long as everything's going relatively well there, but he's obviously going to go in due time. Bleurgh.

I can't even think about Bure, the man makes me want to vomit. Moving right along...

What oh what does Vancouver need. Well, they need to start by trading the Sedins, who spend most of their time doing a sprawl show on the ice, which is funny but doesn't win hockey games. We need goaltenders who aren't blind. Cloutier's technique is more holy than the pope. And yeah, I want Klatt gone too...maybe he should be given and not traded if that speeds things up.

I'll have more on the other Canadian teams later when I'm more pleasant.

The Joel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't see everybody's problems with the Sedin twins . They aren't having the best year of their career.... But their NHL career has only been two years! I say give them a chance. Look at how young they are, and look at how solid they were last year. Have a little faith, people.

As for Cloutier, I think he should go... He's been good in the past, but he's not the play-off kinda goalie. I think that he's buckle under pressure. I think one of Vancouver's biggest problems has been golatenders, and it has gone beyond just this year or last. They haven't had a truly strong goalie since McLean, and even then, I still think that was his only good year (the year where McLean and Canucks made it to the Finals... '93 or '94?).

Anywho, they desperately need a golaie, but I don't think they can truly offer for anybody... Or nobody can offer a goalie. Brodeur is in NJ... for good. I don't think Belfour will move, at least not yet. And if not yet, I don't see the Canucks giving up a person(s) for Belfour, or Dallas excepting what the Canucks are willing to give... .

Erm... As for Edmonton, I really do want them to make the playoffs... Of course not over my beloved Canucks, but it's always really exciting to watch the Oilers. You could tell that their young guys have a passion, and it only magnifies in the playoffs. I think they will make it, because they are so determined. But I also think that it will be a pretty hard road.

The Flames... I can't really see them posing a threat to the playoff race. Mind you, they could bring anotehr team down from the playoffs. Overall, they don't have a strong team... Iginla... Then what? No real strong golatender... Turek and Vernon are both aging, and although Turek can pull victories outta the bag... It only happens sometimes.

This is getting long. I'll do the Eastern teams later. But for now...

What's everybody's opinion on Theo Fleury? The guy played great in the playoffs, but when he plays in the NHL, he digs his own grave. I don't understand this guy... He seems old and bitter. He wants to go play in Europe, where the refs are conspiring against him . And to that I say, good riddance ! The NHL doesn't need trash like that littering the rinks.

And I must say, it's about time the management in New York got a back bone and said enough is enough. Suspend, that's the best move possible. Guy needs to grow up.

~J_R~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I laughed my ass off so hard when Fluery just left the arena in the 3rd period of that game when he got called for tripping again. Yeah, it was unproffesional, but I would rather see that then another sports star going out and killing someone, or be accused of raping someone, etc etc. At least his craziness is directly related to the game. Plus, he helped win Canada the gold, so yay for Fluery. I for one think he should go back to Calgary, might as well. Or go to Detroit and win the cup like everyone else is doing.

And sweet news! The PPV game between my two fav teams, the Devils and the Canucks, also includes with it a re-showing of Game 6 of the 94 finals! it was honestly one of the best games I have ever seen. And J_R, how could you not know what year they went to the cup?

And Mclean is still a free agent, sign him now! lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey man, I love fleury!
    That guy plays his heart out, with a lot of passion. For such a small guy he even gets physical too. That guy is a player, and I'd rather see him in the NHL whining, then seeing utter useless trash like tie domi, and the other fighters who wouldn't make the nhl if there were less teams.
    The NHL needs to maybe cut some teams.

And what do you guys think about the nhl perhaps adopting some international rules next year? I'm all for it..the olympics ruled, and the nhl would be better off with those rules. Especially no red line.

BTW, ever notice the habs always acquire great goaltending? I think french goalies are the way to go.
    Thanks, ZEN!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    French goalies, or wherever the hell the Sharks keep getting their goalies from. Nabakov, Hedberg, and Kiprusoff, all goalies with lots of potential. Damn them!

The Joel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    K_R, I'm only 15 . I was only 8 then, I can barely remember yesterday... But I you .

As for Fleury, the guy doesn't play his heart out. He gives up, and he whines. If he doesn't get what he wants, and then the refs call a FAIR call on him, he whines.

But you're right, K_R, at least his temper is directed at the NHL.

~J_R~

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I highly doubt Belfour will get traded now. Last week, there was a chance, but Eddie has taken back the #1 goalie spot in Dallas and even had a good win this week over Washington. Unless he falters again (and bad), he probably won't be moved. Plus, with the trade deadline next week, there isn't a lot of time for it to happen. I still think that Dallas always had intentions of keeping Belfour for the playoffs and then either letting him walk in the summer or working out a trade then. He definitely won't be traded to San Jose. They already have a great young goalie in Nabokov. Ultimately, I wouldn't be surprised if none of the so called big free agents weren't moved. It seems all the teams these people play for are making the playoffs and they probably wouldn't risk disrupting their team.

You know what I've always wondered and maybe someone can answer this because I might have the rules mixed up or something. Some players are restricted free agents and for another team to sign them, they have to give up five 1st round draft picks, provided the original team doesn't sign them. So for example, Jarome Iginla is a restricted free agent this summer and if Colorado or Detroit or whomever wanted him, they would have to sign him to an offer sheet and give up 5 1st round picks and hope that Calgary doesn't match it. So what prevents a good team with deep pockets from doing that? If I was St. Louis/Colorado (I think one of the richest teams in the league), I would sign Iginla and then just give up the 5 picks...I mean they'd all be like in the 20-30 range because these teams are always near the top of the standings. You'd be guaranteed a future superstar and you'd be giving up five picks who could all be busts down the road since they aren't in the 5 or even top 10. Ya know what I mean? Why doesn't this happen more often?

Zen, I don't want to see most of the Olympic rules in the NHL. I doubt it will help anything. What a lot of people fail to realize is that the Olympics ruled because there were tons of great players playing. It was like a bunch of all-star teams playing competitive games. If they used Olympic rules in the NHL, there are still teams that are so untalented that they will find ways to totally negate the lack of a red line, maybe just by lining up at their blue line or just behind it.

Jobber
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Rajah
    You know what I've always wondered and maybe someone can answer this because I might have the rules mixed up or something. Some players are restricted free agents and for another team to sign them, they have to give up five 1st round draft picks, provided the original team doesn't sign them. So for example, Jarome Iginla is a restricted free agent this summer and if Colorado or Detroit or whomever wanted him, they would have to sign him to an offer sheet and give up 5 1st round picks and hope that Calgary doesn't match it. So what prevents a good team with deep pockets from doing that? If I was St. Louis/Colorado (I think one of the richest teams in the league), I would sign Iginla and then just give up the 5 picks...I mean they'd all be like in the 20-30 range because these teams are always near the top of the standings. You'd be guaranteed a future superstar and you'd be giving up five picks who could all be busts down the road since they aren't in the 5 or even top 10. Ya know what I mean? Why doesn't this happen more often?
    My thought is that the team doesn't sign the player because they will never know if the players will blossom in the future. Even though the draft picks may be lower in the order, that doesn't mean that they will not be good. A lot of the better players in the NHL were drafted lower in the draft. So teams don't take the risk in signing the players because they would probably want 5 good players than one superstar player...
    Also with the restricted free agent rule... It's not always 5 first round picks... The amount of draft picks depends on the salary of the player... For example, if the player makes below $750,000, the team would only have to give up one draft pick... and i think that the draft picks go up by one for every $500,000 or $750,000 of salary to a maximum of five draft picks.

Intercontinental Champion BoSox Rule's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to say:

BRUINS RULE!!!

R.I.P. Dimebag -- 1966-2004 Swedish Sensation's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Official NHL Thread

Originally posted by Kid_Roll
    I know only like 10 people on the board like hockey, but I love talking hockey so any chance I get to talk about it rules.

Soooooooooooooo, who is going to be moved before the trading deadline?

I thought Belfour would go to Toronto for sure, but with Schwab playing pretty good, I dont know if they will go that route. I am pretty sure Belfour will be gone for sure.

I think Bure will go to the Rangers, cause they have been buying their teams for the last 10-20 years, I see no reason for them to change now. Even though as a Canucks fan I hate the man.

As for the Canadian teams, I think the Canucks may need to make a move to take that next step trying to become Cup contenders. It really sucks that the 3 western based Canadian teams are all on the outside looking in. If my dream trade went through it would be the Sedins to Anaheim for Paul Karyia, and Ohlund and whatever the hell they wanted to NJ for Broduer. But Broduer will be a Devil for life probably, so I will be stuck watching Ohlund suck and the Sedins do nothing as usual. Yay.

So, who is going to be dealt before the deadline? What are your thoughts, all 10 hockey fans out there on Rajah.
    [color=royal blue]Belfour won't go to Toronto... they don't have the money. Then they'll have to unload Joseph at the end of the year. He may leave anyways, if we don't make it to atleast the conf finals I'm guessing, but it's too risky. We should just try our luck in the playoffs. We need him.

Schwab is doing okay... he's definitely used to the pressure. He played some important games for Vcr in 1994 when McLean was out. I think he may have played a few playoff games too.

Tellqvist should be called up... he's like, 8-0 with St. John's lately.

Most of the big money players will go to the Rangers... except I think Bure would be a nice addition. He would make a nice line with Nedved, and when Dvorak comes back, they can make another Czech line.

I can see the Nucks getting some semi-stars... but no impact players. And they won't part with the Sedins either. Not after they've invested so much in them.

In conclusion: GO LEAFS GO![/color]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WTF? Schwab on Vancouver in '94? No no no. It was McLean and Whitmore all the way in 94. Thought to be one of the best goalie duo's in the NHL at the time, sadly enough. Whitmore was trash. But Schwab was selected by Jersey and played his first games for them, I think around 94-95. Schwab played for Vancouver within the last 2 years, but in no high pressure games.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhhh yes, I remember Kay Whitmore.

He sucked .

Maybe Schwab was a third Goalie?

As for the trade deadline, I'm hoping the 'Nucks can lose Strudwick and maybe someone else and get a new defenceman.

Besides getting into fights, the man as useless.

I think the Sedins should be given another year. I agree that they have not lived up to their expected play this year, but hell, Naslund wasn't so hot in his first little while here either. Remember when he was number 22?
    Last edited by PsychoSport; March 14th, 2002 at 9:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WTF? Schwab on Vancouver in '94? No no no. It was McLean and Whitmore all the way in 94. Thought to be one of the best goalie duo's in the NHL at the time, sadly enough. Whitmore was trash. But Schwab was selected by Jersey and played his first games for them, I think around 94-95. Schwab played for Vancouver within the last 2 years, but in no high pressure games.
    [color=royal blue]You're right... but but but... Schwab is on my video game, which was made in 1994. That's weird. Maybe it was another Schwab? But his name is Corey and all too...

Maybe he was called up from the minors? It doesn't show up on his ESPN player profile, but I swear, Schwab is with the Nucks on my game... and there's no trades either.

I dunno.

I can confirm that he has experience with T-Bay though... he played a little over 30 games when they were pushing for the playoffs, and he was only a game under .500. Then Tabaracci came back.[/color]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when Tampa made the playoffs, lol. But that was with Puppa leading the charge against Philly. Aside from that, T-Bay sucks. Way to have two teams in Florida,

Sedins annoy me though. Even if they do get good, I don't see them being exciting good. They will be boring good. Cycle, cycle, cycle, cycle, score. They are slow, can't hit, and did you see when Daniel got into a fight? He threw a punch, realized he shouldn't have, then turtled. The other guy pummeled him. Why did he fight? I think they may turn out to be good players one day, but I would still rather have Karyia instead of the twins. Swedes can't play hockey, look at Salo .

Yeah, we need to dump Strudwick. The man is a tool. He can only get into fights, and even then he can't win half of them. Useless! Mike Brown better! Yay BC boy. But yeah, the Canucks need to make a deal to cement their path into the playoffs, but not a stupid one like Berehowsky of last year. I don't want Marshall on the team.

Brian Burke has to realize that Linden needs a cup. Linden is my fav player of all time, all I want is for him to win a cup. And if Naslund wants to give up the C, so be it. j/k, I wouldn't want to ruin the chemistry of the team, a la major jackass Messier.

Hey! Maybe we can trade Ohlund for Poti! Same player, just one is faster, the other one hits better! Seriously, we should deal Ohlund and Klatt!

P.S. S_S, your game lies! Lies! Schwab was drafted by Jersey in '90, and he didn't play until 95. Why would you game put him on the Nucks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P.S. S_S, your game lies! Lies! Schwab was drafted by Jersey in '90, and he didn't play until 95. Why would you game put him on the Nucks?
    [color=royal blue]*shrugs*

Don't ask me... I didn't make the game. But you're right... since he was never with the Nucks, apparently, his only pressure experience was with T-Bay. He did pretty well though... if Tabby didn't come back, they might've made it. They were 8th in the conf when Schwab got kicked out... 11th at the end of the season, after 10-12 more games.[/color]

Swedes can't play hockey, look at Salo .
    [color=royal blue]That's 1 Swede.

...Well, 3 Swedes I guess.

But last time I checked, we beat you 5-2 in The Olympics. And last time I checked, we had some pretty damn good players: Forsberg, Sundin, Naslund, Renberg, Lidstrom, Alfredsson, Axelsson, Arvedson, etc.

I'm not saying we're better than Canada... no one is.

But we're definitely close, and we can definitely play hockey... [/color]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by swedish_sensation15

...Well, 3 Swedes I guess.

But last time I checked, we beat you 5-2 in The Olympics. And last time I checked, we had some pretty damn good players: Forsberg, Sundin, Naslund, Renberg, Lidstrom, Alfredsson, Axelsson, Arvedson, etc.

I'm not saying we're better than Canada... no one is.

But we're definitely close, and we can definitely play hockey... [/font][/size]

Last time I checked Sweden lost to Belarus, . And I could go on and list the Canadian Olympic team as good players from Canada.......But I know Sweden kicks ass at hockey, they very good. I like watching them play Finland, good rivarly. But I hate Sundin. sorry, but I do. Aside from him glaring at Canadian fans at the Olympics, his face seems to melt during games. He scares me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last time I checked Sweden lost to Belarus, . And I could go on and list the Canadian Olympic team as good players from Canada.......But I know Sweden kicks ass at hockey, they very good. I like watching them play Finland, good rivarly. But I hate Sundin. sorry, but I do. Aside from him glaring at Canadian fans at the Olympics, his face seems to melt during games. He scares me.
    [color=royal blue] Sundin's my favorite player...

And yes, we did lose to Belarus... and I'm not looking for scapegoats, but, it was Salo's fault. It was partly the rest of the team, for making it so close as to let 1 bad goal change the outcome of the game, but there's no excuse for letting it in from centre ice off your helmet.

...And when did he glare at Canadian fans? I never knew that.

He's still my favorite... And I admire how he nearly pulled his team through the NJ series last year. I'd never seen him that serious. I'll always remember that scene in Game 6 when he scored to put them down by one and he skated away without celebrating or high-fiving and he yelled "ONE MORE GOAL!"

I also love how he's blending with Renberg. Swedish pride.

...And yeah, I know Canada's better. [/color]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the Devils and the Canucks, so I was happy NJ did, and will continue to beat TO every year. Although I do want the cup to come back to Canada, I don't want Toronto to be the one to do it. And I thought trading for Renberg was stupid, but it seems to have worked out well. I still think they should have kept Berezin. And you bastards have Moginly now. Gomez can do shit all without Moginly. They were perfect together. One can only pass, and one can only score when set up perfectly in the slot. Of course Moginly could score 50 if he wanted to, but he is lazy hockey hating bastard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the Devils and the Canucks, so I was happy NJ did, and will continue to beat TO every year. Although I do want the cup to come back to Canada, I don't want Toronto to be the one to do it. And I thought trading for Renberg was stupid, but it seems to have worked out well. I still think they should have kept Berezin. And you bastards have Moginly now. Gomez can do shit all without Moginly. They were perfect together. One can only pass, and one can only score when set up perfectly in the slot. Of course Moginly could score 50 if he wanted to, but he is lazy hockey hating bastard.
    [color=royal blue]I seriously hope Toronto calls up Tellqvist for the playoffs and he blows everyone away... including the Devils... Probably won't happen though... but Sundin really likes him, and is hailing him as the next Joseph, after Joseph leaves or retires. He was the Swedish goalie in the WJHC.

Trading for another Swede, and a semi-star Swede at that, to support Sundin, is smart. Just like NYR's Czech line last year. Who was on that line anyways? It was Dvorak, Nedved, and who?

It's Mogilny... Not Moginly. They call him Al-Mo in Toronto... dumbest nickname ever. And Berezin pissed me off... he tried to go through the whole team. *sigh* Just get over it buddy, you're no Davey Keon.[/color]

Jobber
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[color=royal blue]
    Trading for another Swede, and a semi-star Swede at that, to support Sundin, is smart. Just like NYR's Czech line last year. Who was on that line anyways? It was Dvorak, Nedved, and who?
    [/color]

New York's Czech line last year was Nedved, Dvorak and Jan Hlavac

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always spell Moginly's name wrong. And yeah, he was Al-mo here as well. And the Czhech line had Hlavac on it if I remember correctly, now a Canuck

The Joel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always spell Moginly's name wrong. And yeah, he was Al-mo here as well. And the Czhech line had Hlavac on it if I remember correctly, now a Canuck
    5-1 !!!

I hope this is the beginning of another 8 or 9-game winning streak .

Then again, from what I read (remember, I don't get any TV coverage of the Canucks over here ), the Blue Jackets were playing awful anyway?

But anywho, a win is still a win.

Woohoo!

~J_R~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TheGame93
    New York's Czech line last year was Nedved, Dvorak and Jan Hlavac

[color=royal blue]Thanks... [/color]

Originally posted by Jacqueline_Rulz
    5-1 !!!

I hope this is the beginning of another 8 or 9-game winning streak .

Then again, from what I read (remember, I don't get any TV coverage of the Canucks over here ), the Blue Jackets were playing awful anyway?

But anywho, a win is still a win.

Woohoo!

~J_R~
    [color=royal blue]GO NUCKS! I love that team... next to the Leafs of course... I loved how they came together in last year's playoffs... how they guys all bleached their hair and stopped shaving. Now that they have playoff experience, hopefully they can pull together like that and actually win a series.

Schaefer's gone though, so it won't be the same...

...And yeah, the Jackets looked like they weren't even trying.

They have good system play right now... they're not doing anything fancy, just sticking to the game plan, and it looks like it's working. Just 3 points out of 8th.

Now you guys got Atlanta, NJ, NYR and NYI left on your road trip. You'd better beat Atlanta, you'd better beat NYR. And you should probably beat one of either NYI or NJ, if you keep up the good work. That'd probably put you in 8th and kick Dallas out... [/color]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Canucks! Sweet win, even though it was on T.V.

Linden got a point, yay. Naslund scored too. Hopefully they rattle off some more wins now, putting the heat on the Stars. Although every other single friggin team in the West is winning right now too. Hopefully the NUcks make it or else it will be a huge step backwards for them.

Schwab shouldn't be winning! Damn you Scwab! Heh, is funny to hear people on TSN say Schwab should start in the playoffs, lmao. Riiiiiiight.

Hey, does anyone in Canada know if TSN buying the hockey rights means way less Canucks games on TV? Cause Sportsnet at least recognizes cities west of Toronto, while TSN doesn't, so I don't really want to see 82 Leafs games, with no Canucks games to be found anywhere. John Shorthouse, the radio guy for the Nucks, is godawful, I don't really want to have to listen to him.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Nice action of NHL tonight. I wanted Bertuzzi to score a couple goals. He's on my fantasy hockey team (by the way, how many of you guys are in that - I know isuqinndog and Zen are in it but I bet a couple others as well cause it's basically all forum guys) and I was hoping he'd maintain his average of 2 goals, 2 assists. Cloutier is playing damn strong after he got pulled this past weekend I think it was. The game where he kinda blew up at Crawford. One thing about Clout, that guy is fucking badass. I wouldn't want to get into a fight with him. He is probably the toughest NHL goalie...anyone remember how he brutally beat up Tommy Salo a few years ago?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Devils are getting back on track now. They're four games above .500 and only four points behind the Islanders for second place in the division.

I don't know about anybody else, but if the Devils get their act together and avoid playing the Flyers or Leafs in the first round (so they can get some momentum with a first round win), they could go to the Finals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rajah, reeks of awesomeness is in it too, and so was trouble..he made it, but he's left the boards for a while.
    I believe tazmission is also in on it.

Personally, I have a winning record, and it's good enough to contend for the damn wildcard spot, yet I'm in a division that everyone has a winning record, so I can't even get lucky in that respect.
    My last place spot in my division is better then the west division leader I think..I'll have to recheck. No luck I tells ya.

Anyway, back to the NHL..too damn much canucks and leafs talk here..
    GO HABS GO! GO HABS GO!
    I believe we'll shoot for cup number 25.

And I see what you mean raj, about too many crap players in the nhl which wouldn't make the international rule adjustments that great, but it would open up the ice more for the really skilled players to work around those trapping systems, thus forcing teams to find new ways of stopping teams with alot of skill. No matter what it would speed up the game though and make it slightly more exciting.
    If you don't wanna make any rule changes, why not just make the rink wider like the olympics have? More room to roam....I think it would work anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in the hockey league too. I traded Ohlund for Jovo my first day, and that's about it, lol. I dropped Cloutier, and then he started playing good, but Thibault has made my life happy again. Of course the one league I get Jagr in and he plays like shit for me, as is Karyia. What are the odds.

And Barrasso just got traded to the Leafs! Wow, I didn't think they would do that with Schwab playing so well. I can only assume they are worried that Joseph won't be back in time for the playoffs, because I don't see any other reason to nab a goalie. Kind of a slap in the face of Schwab if Joseph is ready to be back for the playoffs. BUt he is only a backup, oh well, .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice action of NHL tonight. I wanted Bertuzzi to score a couple goals. He's on my fantasy hockey team (by the way, how many of you guys are in that - I know isuqinndog and Zen are in it but I bet a couple others as well cause it's basically all forum guys) and I was hoping he'd maintain his average of 2 goals, 2 assists. Cloutier is playing damn strong after he got pulled this past weekend I think it was. The game where he kinda blew up at Crawford. One thing about Clout, that guy is fucking badass. I wouldn't want to get into a fight with him. He is probably the toughest NHL goalie...anyone remember how he brutally beat up Tommy Salo a few years ago?
    [color=royal blue]I'm in SmallWorld... I'll post my players in a bit. My team has been tanking for 2 months and I'm still in 4th place in the div. I used to be in the top 5000, now I'm in the top like, 40000...

And yeah, I have a clip of Cloutier destroying Salo... he also kicked a guy in the head when he was with T-Bay.[/color]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in the hockey league too. I traded Ohlund for Jovo my first day, and that's about it, lol. I dropped Cloutier, and then he started playing good, but Thibault has made my life happy again. Of course the one league I get Jagr in and he plays like shit for me, as is Karyia. What are the odds.

And Barrasso just got traded to the Leafs! Wow, I didn't think they would do that with Schwab playing so well. I can only assume they are worried that Joseph won't be back in time for the playoffs, because I don't see any other reason to nab a goalie. Kind of a slap in the face of Schwab if Joseph is ready to be back for the playoffs. BUt he is only a backup, oh well, .
    [color=royal blue] Thibault... I was at a game here against the Hawks a few months ago and me and my friends got 1st row seats (we jacked them... some season ticket holders didn't come) behind Thibault for the 1st and 3rd periods, and we heckled him so badly... he flipped us the middle finger atleast 3 times. Then at the end of the game, after they lost, we started heckling him again and he just ignored us, so my friend was like "what cha gonna do... flip us the middle finger?" and he was just about to go into the dressing room, he turned around to flip us the middle finger again, and he tripped... I was laughing the whole way home.

I hope they don't throw in Barrasso right away... Schwab is improving... give him a chance. It's a good thing Perreault's not there anymore, or there would be some major heat between him and Barrasso... Barrasso's the f--ker who slashed him and put him out for 4 months.[/color]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [color=royal blue]How about this... everyone who's in a hockey pool, post all your players and your division standings... I'll start first...

1) natas43 (23001)
    2) Corner Stuffers III (22795)
    3) mashers (21084)
    4) Albanian Assassins (20404)
    5) Fantasm (19135)
    6) bhonpooo (18935)

There's about 20 more teams in my division, but just gives you a good idea where I stand.

W

Naslund, Markus | VAN | 2658 pts ($7,370,000)
    Bertuzzi, Todd | VAN | 2266 pts ($4,390,000)
    Doan, Shane | PHO | 1640 pts ($2,600,000)
    Heatley, Dany | ATL | 1687 pts ($2,200,000)

C

Sundin, Mats | TOR | 2692 pts ($7,210,000)
    Lang, Robert | PIT | 1858 pts ($3,960,000)
    Morrison, Brendan | VAN | 1926 pts ($3,570,000)

D

Chelios, Chris | DET | 1735 pts ($3,390,000)
    McCabe, Bryan | TOR | 1513 pts ($2,650,000)
    Aucoin, Adrian | NYI | 1536 pts ($2,570,000)

G

Theodore, Jose | MON | 2756 pts ($6,120,000)
    Thibault, Jocelyn | CHI | 2330 pts ($5,580,000)

World rank: 38132
    Roster value: $51.61M (we start with only 50)[/color]

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Zen, we're facing each other this week in fantasy hockey! You're going down boy. Anyway, yeah your division is fucking tough, whereas mine is the easiest. Katie (Leetah) is in my division and I think she gave up a while ago.

Swedish Sensation, our league is different than yours I guess. We had a live draft and then each week go head-to-head against another team. Based on how our players do, we either win, lose or tie and at the end of the season the top three teams in each division, plus one wild card go to the playoffs. Anyway, here's my team...tell me it doesn't rule:

F - Steve Yzerman
    F - Adam Oates
    F - John LeClair
    F - Jeremy Roenick
    F - Owen Nolan
    F - Todd Bertuzzi (free agent pickup too!)
    F - Brendan Shanahan

D - Nick Lidstrom
    D - Scott Niedermayer
    D - Al MacInnis
    D - Kim Johnsson (steal of a deal, and I drafted him too)
    D - Mathieu Schneider

G - Jose Theodore
    G - Brian Boucher
    G - Tommy Salo
    G - Marty Turco (I picked him up last week cause I thought he was gonna be Dallas' starter. )

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    My league is different as well. We have a draft and team and then you get points depending on your standing in different categories. Like if my players have the most goals then I get the top amount of points for that. But if they are last then I get the least amount of points for that category. So each day the standings could change depending on how your players are doing. I did a basketball league like this one time and finished first. I neglected this hockey team at first due to fantasy football so I am in the middle of the pack. We don't do playoffs or anything. I am in two fantasy baseball leagues. I know that one does head to head but I am not sure about the other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swedish Sensation, our league is different than yours I guess. We had a live draft and then each week go head-to-head against another team. Based on how our players do, we either win, lose or tie and at the end of the season the top three teams in each division, plus one wild card go to the playoffs. Anyway, here's my team...tell me it doesn't rule:

F - Steve Yzerman
    F - Adam Oates
    F - John LeClair
    F - Jeremy Roenick
    F - Owen Nolan
    F - Todd Bertuzzi (free agent pickup too!)
    F - Brendan Shanahan

D - Nick Lidstrom
    D - Scott Niedermayer
    D - Al MacInnis
    D - Kim Johnsson (steal of a deal, and I drafted him too)
    D - Mathieu Schneider

G - Jose Theodore
    G - Brian Boucher
    G - Tommy Salo
    G - Marty Turco (I picked him up last week cause I thought he was gonna be Dallas' starter. )
    [color=royal blue]The way ours works, is that we get $50M to draft players at the beginning of the year... and they earn a certain amount of points every night based on a specific scoring system (which I'll get to in a second). And we get 5 trades each week, so if a player gets injured or starts to suck, we can trade them. Except we don't trade with other teams. We just sell them (to nobody... you just sell them and get the money for them) and then buy another player with that money. And players aren't exclusive to 1 team... so say another guy in my division has Sundin, I can still buy Sundin. Players are unlimited resources in this pool.

For forwards and d-men, the system is like this...

Goals (25)
    Assists (25)
    Hat Tricks (30)
    Shorthanded Goals (20)
    Power Play Goals (10)
    Game Winning Goals (20)
    Game Tying Goals (10)
    Overtime Goals (5)
    Penalty Minutes (3)
    Shots On Goal (2)
    Plus/Minus (10)

For goalies, it's like this...

Wins (50)
    Ties (25)
    Shutouts (50)
    Goals Against (15)
    Saves (2)
    Penalty Minutes (-3)
    Goals (25)
    Assists (25)[/color]

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Our scoring system is like this:

Forwards

3 pts for a goal
    2 pts for an assist
    5 pts for a PP goal
    4 pts for a SH goal
    0.25 pts for a penalty minute
    1 or -1 for +/-

Defense

5 pts for a goal
    3 pts for an assist
    7 pts for a PP goal
    6 pts for a SH goal
    0.25 pts for a penalty minute
    1 or -1 for +/-

Goalies

5 pts for a win
    2 pts for a tie
    3 pts for a shutout
    3 pts for an assist
    0.2 pts for save
    - pts for goals allowed
    0.25 pts for penalty minute

There's probably a couple more insignificant categories that I forgot.
    Last edited by Rajah; March 15th, 2002 at 7:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [color=royal blue]Sounds like a pool I used to be in. What pisses me off about pools is that there's no points for defence... so you gotta get a d-man that scores and they're all superstars and cost a lot.

You use officepools.com, right?[/color]

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Nope sportsline.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rajah, sorry man, the week ain't done yet.
    I'm predicting a stellar weekend from quite a few guys..it'll be tight. I need the win though or you can pretty much officially eliminate me from the playoffs.

Since I'm lazy at the moment, I'll try to remember off the top of my head my team.

Joe Sakic
    Simon Gagne
    Teemu Selanne
    Mark Recchi
    Marion Hossa
    Ilya Kovalchuk(free agent pickup)
    janne ninimaa
    patrick elias
    brad stuart
    tom barasso
    nikholai khabbibulin
    vince lecavelier
    i'll add the rest when i look my team up..my memory is shot.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    *Deletes Zen's team* (inside joke)

But in all seriousness, Zen your team worries me. I look at your forwards and it's like I'm looking at a mirror reflection of my team. I have LeClair and Roenick, you have Recchi and Gagne which comprise 2/3 of Philly's top two lines. You have Selanne, I have Nolan, the top two right wingers on San Jose. You have Joe Sakic, I have Steve Yzerman. I just hope Tom Barrasso doesn't play for you this week, but seeing as how he just got traded, he probably will.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ronning was traded to the Kings. Damnit. Was hoping the Nucks would pick him up to play with the Sedins, maybe get them going. I really didn't want LA to get any more help this year. Damn Kings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ronning was traded to the Kings. Damnit. Was hoping the Nucks would pick him up to play with the Sedins, maybe get them going. I really didn't want LA to get any more help this year. Damn Kings.
    [color=royal blue]Ronning used to play for the Nucks, during their championship run... so did Linden. They would be good on a line together.

The Nucks need to trade for veteran leadership... someone to look after the young guys, and make sure they're on the right track. They've got so much talent, but it just isn't coming together.

I have no idea who the free agents are at the end of the season, so therefore I have no idea who's gonna be up at the trade deadline... but I think Nieuwendyk would be a great addition, or someone a little younger, like Barnes.[/color]

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[color=royal blue]Ronning used to play for the Nucks, during their championship run... so did Linden. They would be good on a line together.

The Nucks need to trade for veteran leadership... someone to look after the young guys, and make sure they're on the right track. They've got so much talent, but it just isn't coming together.

I have no idea who the free agents are at the end of the season, so therefore I have no idea who's gonna be up at the trade deadline... but I think Nieuwendyk would be a great addition, or someone a little younger, like Barnes.[/color]
    Barnes is the sabres captain and leader, therefore I won't let the Nucks have him, sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [color=royal blue]Ha... you guys are too poor to have him.

The Nucks are ri...

...oh.

How do you know who's a free agent at the end of this season? There's not one site that I can find with contract info.[/color]

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [color=royal blue]Ha... you guys are too poor to have him.

The Nucks are ri...

...oh.

How do you know who's a free agent at the end of this season? There's not one site that I can find with contract info.[/color]
    I am pretty sure Barnes said he wanted end and probably stay here for the rest of his career, so I doubt anyone will pick him up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [color=royal blue]Yeah, so do I... I just used his leadership and age as an example.

But do you, or does anyone else, know any sites that show contract details, or just who the free agents are at the end of the season?[/color]

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [color=royal blue]Yeah, so do I... I just used his leadership and age as an example.

But do you, or does anyone else, know any sites that show contract details, or just who the free agents are at the end of the season?[/color]
    No, sorry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by RoCkPuNk17
    No, sorry
    [color=royal blue]Thanks anyways.

Boston 2, Detroit 1 *waits for BoSox Rule to come in and brag*
    LA 4, Pittsburgh 3
    NJ 3, NYR 1
    Colorado 2, Philly 1
    Montreal 3, Carolina 2
    Ottawa 4, NYI 3
    Vancouver 4, Atlanta 2 (That's your cue Kid_Roll)
    Columbus 3, Calgary 1
    Toronto 5, Dallas 5 Stupid Hatcher.
    Edmonton 1, Washington 0 (1st period)
    San Jose 0, Chicago 0 (1st period)

Anyways... discuss...

The Leafs game was really good... offence was incredible, and the Leafs are finally starting to click on the PP. They're compensating in just about every area for the loss of Joseph, and where people thought they wouldn't even make the playoffs a few weeks ago, we're still challenging for 1st in the division. Sundin is really carrying the team, and Schwab's holding up pretty well... good to see he hasn't been replaced by Barrasso right away. Now with Mogilny and Renberg back, we're a force offensively. They did a lot tonight. The Sundin/Roberts/Hoglund was -3, but Renberg and Mogilny really held everything together. As soon as they get the 1st line going again, if they don't screw with anything in net, I think we have a good shot at the Sabres for tops in the division.[/color]

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Blatant plug:

http://www.hockeyinformer.com/web/index.shtml

That's my new hockey site! It's not nearly complete but I hope to have it up by the time the playoffs start. I'm just trying to get up to date with the stats and then fill up the rest with editorial content. I have some cool ideas in mind, so we'll see how it goes.

If anyone wants to help out, we may be able to work something out.

Anyway, visit it and give me some suggestions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um, Rajah, I don't see nearly enough Canucks pics on there,

Wooooo! Canucks 4-2! It was only the Thrashers, but hey, any point is a good point. The tough part of the road trip is still ahead of them, the trip through the 3/4 New York teams. New JErsey is winnable, as is the Rangers game, Islanders game will probably be tough, though. Hopefully Fluery freaks out or something and gives us lots of powerplay time. Nazzie got 2 goals, that was nice. But I want Linden to take over the lead for most goals for a Canuck ever. He is only behind Stan Smyl by 4 goals, I want him to break the record at home. Linden rules! And I really hope Edmonton loses. It sucks having to chear against the Canadian teams, especially when all 3 western teams are out right now, but I want the Canucks in. It would be huge setback for them not to make the playoffs. Still waiting for that trade deadline to pass.....Ohlund, I think I hear your name........

And the Stars got a point. Come on S_S, I expected your Leafs to destroy them!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Rajah, if you ever want a sports columnist type person, I am majoring in sports journalism, (I join the journalism program in 1 year) so it would be sweet to get practice. And I love sports and could talk hours and hours about hockey. But if not, ignore I said this, and just pretend this never happened. NEVER!

The Joel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blatant plug:

http://www.hockeyinformer.com/web/index.shtml

That's my new hockey site! It's not nearly complete but I hope to have it up by the time the playoffs start. I'm just trying to get up to date with the stats and then fill up the rest with editorial content. I have some cool ideas in mind, so we'll see how it goes.

If anyone wants to help out, we may be able to work something out.

Anyway, visit it and give me some suggestions.
    When you click on the "News" link on the side, it shows an "HTTP 404 Not Found," error thing. I'm not sure if it's just mine, or it would be a probem for everybody...

Or if you even have that part of the site up .

As for the games tonight... Well, I was at Kelsey's and they were showing the Leafs/Stars game, so I looked up and watched bits n' pieces.

Shame about Schwab. He's been playing great, with only 4 goals in 4 games. Barasso comes along, and the guy probably feels pressured. So he lets in 5 goals. I just hope they give him another chance, but if that were the case, they probably wouldn't have acquired Barasso.

Naslund socred two goals for Canucks tonight. Hopefully this signifies the ending of his recent scoring slump. Now, out of all times, is when he is neede the most. The Nucks need him to be one of the best players in the NHL that he is for their playoff hunt and/or run.

Cloutier let in two goals on 16 shots... Kinda worries me, but as I've said in the past - I get no coverage of hockey over here. And so I just read all of the reports. So I'm not sure if they were hard shots, or what kind of goals they were.

Oooh, I just read something on www.TSN.ca:

Vancouver C Trevor Linden has 31 points in 51 games since being traded back there. He is four goals behind Stan Smyl (262-258) for the franchise goal-scoring record.
    First of all, I didn't realize how well he had been playing.

Second of all, I hope he gets it. He deserves it. From interviews and how he shows himself on the ice, the guy has respect for the game, and seems to be a great guy. Good luck, Trevor .

~J_R~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um, Rajah, I don't see nearly enough Canucks pics on there,

Wooooo! Canucks 4-2! It was only the Thrashers, but hey, any point is a good point. The tough part of the road trip is still ahead of them, the trip through the 3/4 New York teams. New JErsey is winnable, as is the Rangers game, Islanders game will probably be tough, though. Hopefully Fluery freaks out or something and gives us lots of powerplay time. Nazzie got 2 goals, that was nice. But I want Linden to take over the lead for most goals for a Canuck ever. He is only behind Stan Smyl by 4 goals, I want him to break the record at home. Linden rules! And I really hope Edmonton loses. It sucks having to chear against the Canadian teams, especially when all 3 western teams are out right now, but I want the Canucks in. It would be huge setback for them not to make the playoffs. Still waiting for that trade deadline to pass.....Ohlund, I think I hear your name........

And the Stars got a point. Come on S_S, I expected your Leafs to destroy them!
    [color=royal blue]Like I said, you guys will win 2/3 games. Both Rangers and Isles suck this month, but when NJ gets on a streak, they're unstoppable. Refer to last year, when they won like, 17/20 games.

Vancouver has 73 points, and I'm guessing they'll win 2/3 on the road trip. So 77.

Dallas has 75 points... they'll lose to Chicago, then beat St. Louis and Phoenix. So 79.

St. Louis has 75 points... they'll lose to Dallas, beat Anaheim and Nashville. So 79.

Edmonton has 77 points... lose to SJ and Calgary. So 77. Then they play Vcr.

I think Dallas is gonna pull away... they have an easy remaining sched. It's really between Vcr, Edm, and St. Louis for the playoffs. The Oilers are falling and you can guys can put them out. I think it's gonna be between you guys and StL... StL is a really good team, but they've won 2/10 games. You guys have got it together. I'm predicting you'll pull 5 pts ahead of them, they'll start coming back, then lose their last 2 games of the season to Detroit and you guys will take the playoff spot.[/color]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shame about Schwab. He's been playing great, with only 4 goals in 4 games. Barasso comes along, and the guy probably feels pressured. So he lets in 5 goals. I just hope they give him another chance, but if that were the case, they probably wouldn't have acquired Barasso.
    [color=royal blue]Wasn't Schwab playing? I'm pretty sure he was. They've shown a real commitment to Schwab, or they would've called up Tellqvist from St. John's based on Sundin's reccomendation. But they're letting Schwab develop.

They're doing the right thing with their goalies... Schwab, Barrasso, Centomo, and Tellqvist in the minors. Plus Joseph. When he leaves, they've got a huge talent pool. It's up to them to develop it.

Barrasso is already established, Tellqvist is kicking ass in the minors, Schwab is kicking ass in the NHL, and I believe Centomo just played a game.[/color]

Cloutier let in two goals on 16 shots... Kinda worries me, but as I've said in the past - I get no coverage of hockey over here. And so I just read all of the reports. So I'm not sure if they were hard shots, or what kind of goals they were.
    [color=royal blue]http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/scoreboard and click on Game Log under the Nucks game... you can see where all the shots were from, who took them, and I think what kind've shots they were.

BTW... are you a guy or a girl? Just curious... I always thought you were a girl...[/color]
    Last edited by Swedish Sensation; March 17th, 2002 at 4:48 AM.

The Joel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[color=royal blue]Wasn't Schwab playing? I'm pretty sure he was. They've shown a real commitment to Schwab, or they would've called up Tellqvist from St. John's based on Sundin's reccomendation. But they're letting Schwab develop.

They're doing the right thing with their goalies... Schwab, Barrasso, Centomo, and Tellqvist in the minors. Plus Joseph. When he leaves, they've got a huge talent pool. It's up to them to develop it.

Barrasso is already established, Tellqvist is kicking ass in the minors, Schwab is kicking ass in the NHL, and I believe Centomo just played a game.[/color]
    After tnoight, chances are Schwab won't play. I don't think they'll keep Barasso as a back-up. I think they should, but when you get a vet who is established like Barasso, he seems to get the nod over Schwab - a back-up all his NHL career.

[color=royal blue] http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/scoreboard and click on Game Log under the Nucks game... you can see where all the shots were from, who took them, and I think what kind've shots they were.

BTW... are you a guy or a girl? Just curious... I always thought you were a girl.[/color]
    Thanks for the link.

And I'm a guy . That's ok - I always thought you were a girl .

~J_R~

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Swedish Sensation: If you didn't see my message above, I'm sorry for accidentally editing your earlier post. I was trying to add the stuff below but I accidentally hit edit instead of quote or something. I dunno, I confused myself and messed it all up. Apologies again.

Anyway this is what I wanted to say...

I don't know what you're going by, but Tellqvist is not exactly kicking ass in the minors. He's actually struggling and has been totally outplayed thus far by the other two goalies on his team, including Centomo. Only one of the three to have a below 500 record and he also has a GAA of over 3. There is no way, even if Sundin is recommending him, that Toronto would call him up unless Schwab got injured. He's simply not ready.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After tnoight, chances are Schwab won't play. I don't think they'll keep Barasso as a back-up. I think they should, but when you get a vet who is established like Barasso, he seems to get the nod over Schwab - a back-up all his NHL career.

Thanks for the link.

And I'm a guy . That's ok - I always thought you were a girl .

~J_R~
    [color=royal blue]Yeah, the vet usually gets his shot... or else he just gets pissed off and demands a trade. I think getting Barrasso was a bad move... 'cause either way, 1 guy's gonna be pissed off. It's gonna be either Barrasso or Schwab.

Ha... yeah right. You knew all along that I'm a guy... you just said that to get back at me... [/color]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swedish Sensation: If you didn't see my message above, I'm sorry for accidentally editing your earlier post. I was trying to add the stuff below but I accidentally hit edit instead of quote or something. I dunno, I confused myself and messed it all up. Apologies again.

Anyway this is what I wanted to say...

I don't know what you're going by, but Tellqvist is not exactly kicking ass in the minors. He's actually struggling and has been totally outplayed thus far by the other two goalies on his team, including Centomo. Only one of the three to have a below 500 record and he also has a GAA of over 3. There is no way, even if Sundin is recommending him, that Toronto would call him up unless Schwab got injured. He's simply not ready.
    [color=royal blue] That was a pretty big mess to sort out... but I got it fixed. No worries...

...And WTF?! I heard that Tellqvist was doing awesome in the minors, and had won 8 games in a row. My friend Mike gets Leafs TV... and he said Tellqvist was kicking ass... And from what I've seen of him, he's wicked. In the WJHC, Sundin was hailing him as the next CuJo.

He was wicked with MoDo... he averaged 2.08 GAA his last 2 seasons there, and for a 13 game playoff year, he had a 1.54.

3.24 GAA, 7-10-5, .909%.

Maybe my friend was talking about Centomo... he has a .932% and an 8-4-2 record. Probably just got the names mixed up.

Still... Tellqvist has an awesome save %, and I'm sure he would fit in, being Sundin's golden boy and all.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with Centomo, now that they have Barrasso and Schwab. He'll probably get lost in the mix.[/color]

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Yeah, don't get me wrong - I am definitely not doubting Tellqvist's ability. It seems there are a lot of young goalies who take a while to break into the NHL. Rick DiPietro, Maxime Oullette, Tellqvist and a few other young guys are still there and have yet to earn NHL jobs. But in like 5-6 years when the likes of Hasek, Roy, CuJo, etc. are gone, these guys will be kicking ass.

By the way, have you heard of a young Swedish goalie in the Detroit Red Wings organization? I can't remember his name, but he's supposed to be really good as well. If I find it out, I'll edit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, don't get me wrong - I am definitely not doubting Tellqvist's ability. It seems there are a lot of young goalies who take a while to break into the NHL. Rick DiPietro, Maxime Oullette, Tellqvist and a few other young guys are still there and have yet to earn NHL jobs. But in like 5-6 years when the likes of Hasek, Roy, CuJo, etc. are gone, these guys will be kicking ass.

By the way, have you heard of a young Swedish goalie in the Detroit Red Wings organization? I can't remember his name, but he's supposed to be really good as well. If I find it out, I'll edit.
    [color=royal blue]It's funny you mentioned Ouellet... my friend Jacy is actually a good friend of his. She's also a good friend of Norm Maracle. She owns the rights to both www.maximeouellet.com and www.normmaracle.com.

See, the thing is, half the goalies are over 30... goalies last longer, 'cause they do a lot less physical play. So the young guys just have to wait their turn. Yeah, that stat on Tellqvist was a little faulty... I actually pulled up a report and it said he had lost 8 in a row... I guess that doesn't help his case.

The guy in the Wings organization I think is Holmqvist. That name ring a bell?[/color]

World Champion
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesssssssssssssssssssssss

Tuzzi = Awesome.

I expect to see that goal on your website, Rajah

I am worried about the Canucks and their chances of getting into the playoffs. They may be playing well, but so is Phoenix and others. Not to mention that Vcr only has 12 games left, when Dallas and other teams have 14 and 15.

I guess we'll just have to see...

Did you know that Ohlund got the most shots on goal last night?

The Joel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Psychosport2000
    Yesssssssssssssssssssssss

Tuzzi = Awesome.

I expect to see that goal on your website, Rajah

I am worried about the Canucks and their chances of getting into the playoffs. They may be playing well, but so is Phoenix and others. Not to mention that Vcr only has 12 games left, when Dallas and other teams have 14 and 15.

I guess we'll just have to see...

Did you know that Ohlund got the most shots on goal last night?
    Yeah, but St. Louis is slipping, and the Calgary Flames are also on a downward spiral. Really it may come down to St. Louis, Edmonton and Vancouver for the final play off spot. If Vancouver keeps this up, I think they may get into the playoffs.

As for that final play, that was incredible... And all because of Bertuzzi. Ohlund may have scored the goal, but Bertuzzi did all the work.

Actually, during that final play, there was a third guy who scraped the puck lose near Vancounver's blue line, and then Bertuzzi got the puck because of that. That guy deserves a .

~J_R~

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Pavel Bure just got traded to the Rangers.

I got it up at http://www.hockeyinformer.com before any of the big sites. WOO!

The Joel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Pavel Bure HAS been traded

This was just reported on TSN's SportsCentre. Pavel Bure HAs been traded from the Florida Panthers to the New York Rangers.

To Rangers: - Pavel Bure
    - 2nd Round Pick 2002 (Not official. They reported this at first, but now they have taken it down from their website during the recap, they didn't mention it )

To Florida: - Igor Ulanov
    - Filip Novak
    - 1st Round Pick 2002
    - 4th Round Pick 2003
    - Option of switch of 2nd Round Picks in 2003

Mike Keenan is now on the line with SportsNet. He says:

- Great fit for Pavel to go to Rangers, which was his #1 choice.
    - Something about moving towards the future and spending 10 mil/year on one person isn't part of the plan
    - Now looking for one or more vet players, but also looking at young talent over the summer with the un-loading of all this money
    - Ulanov is a great addition to Panthers, and hope to decrease their shots against. (Ulanov is a defenceman)

So what are you thoughts about it? I'm actually surprised that Mike York wasn't involved in this trade. But I gues the Panthers may be looking more towards the future than here and now.

As for the Rangers... I don't think this will help them all that much, really. They already have a lot of solid players - some of the best in the league. Yet they still aren't winning. Bure, as good as he may be, can't do it. Especially if the likes of Lindros, Leetch, Fleury, Nedved, Richter and more, can't get it done COMBINED!

~J_R~

The Joel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pavel Bure just got traded to the Rangers.

I got it up at http://www.hockeyinformer.com before any of the big sites. WOO!
    Are you sure www.tsn.ca didn't get it up sooner, because that's where I went just after it was announced on the evening edition of SportsCentre - which was around 6:45.

You lie, Mr. False-Advertising!

~J_R~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New York teams make me sick. All they ever do is buy teams.

With Bure on the team, New York just got way more dangerous. I think it totally opens the door for a Fluery trade for a good d-man though.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    TSN announced it on SportsCentre yeah, but they don't get it up on their website instantaneously or anything. I checked. I didn't say I was the person to break the news, just said that I had it up online before anyone.

The Joel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a less-exciting side-note - Cloutier was named player of the week this week, going 3-0. I'm sure that's gotta be a confidence booster for him heading into what is already a playoff race . But he's still not at that level that will make the Canucks that much better .

And seeing as how most people in this thread seem to either live in or near Vancouver, or support the Canucks (myself included), I thought I'd ask a question.

Who do you see as the backbone of the Vancouver Canucks, especially with the playoff race going on right now:
    1. Todd Bertuzzi
    2. Markus Naslund
    3. Dan Cloutier
    4. Ed Jovanoski
    5. Marc Crawford .

~J_R~

The Joel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TSN announced it on SportsCentre yeah, but they don't get it up on their website instantaneously or anything. I checked. I didn't say I was the person to break the news, just said that I had it up online before anyone.
    I just can't be sarcastic out of the Asylum, or to the webmaster .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canucks backbone?

Linden!!! lol

1.) Cloutier
    2.) Naslund
    3.) Bertuzzi
    4.) Jovanovski
    5.) Supporting cast

Goaltendind will get us into the playoffs, so Clouts better damn well play good. And Nazzie needs to keep up his play, and if Bert keeps playing the way he has, we stand a good chance to nab a playoff spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a less-exciting side-note - Cloutier was named player of the week this week, going 3-0. I'm sure that's gotta be a confidence booster for him heading into what is already a playoff race . But he's still not at that level that will make the Canucks that much better .

And seeing as how most people in this thread seem to either live in or near Vancouver, or support the Canucks (myself included), I thought I'd ask a question.

Who do you see as the backbone of the Vancouver Canucks, especially with the playoff race going on right now:
    1. Todd Bertuzzi
    2. Markus Naslund
    3. Dan Cloutier
    4. Ed Jovanoski
    5. Marc Crawford .

~J_R~
    [color=royal blue]He's improving... I seriously hope the Nucks aren't giving up on their young players. The future dream team that everyone was talking about last year, of developping 20-25 year olds, just doesn't seem the same this year. If anything, that's the one mistake they're making... patience. Let Clouts do his thing... no more Skudra. Let him carry the team as far as he can take them... hopefully into the playoffs. Give him a leading role and he'll develop. The problem with young players is that they're not used in pressure situations, they come to the NHL, and everyone says "oh, they can't play under pressure, so we're not gonna give them a chance." If the Nucks are patient, in 3-4 years, they're gonna be champs.

They should've tried to keep Schaefer too... He was a Swede.

1) Tuzzi
    2) Jovo Cop
    3) Linden
    4) Clouts
    5) Nassy

The vets are pulling the reins right now... then it's Clouts 'cause he plays such a pivotal role, being the goalie and all. Then, of course, Naslund. He just needs to get an edge him... like Sundin did in last year's playoffs... [/color]

Watch Your Fucking Mouth
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darius Kasparaitis Just got sent to Colorado from the Pittsburgh Penguins for Ville Nieminen and Rick Berry just now.I f you want to check the story nhl.com just put it up or tsn.ca.
    Last edited by bionic_wolverine; March 19th, 2002 at 3:18 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I can't believe that Philly gave up so much for Adam Oates. Two thoughts now that this deal is complete:

- Philly probably will sign Oates to an extension or has already verbally agreed or something. He's an UFA after this season and they'd never give up that much if there was a chance he could walk? Right??

- Roenick and/or Primeau may both be seriously injured, or at least more so than everyone is letting on. In case you didn't hear, both guys went down last night and I bet Philly was desperate for a #1 center. Maxime Oullet is gonna be a bonafide starter in a couple years! Weird how earlier in this thread we were talking about him.

Watch Your Fucking Mouth
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't believe NY dealt Mike York to Edmonton. They got some good players in exchange ,Tom Poti and Rem Murray, but he was one of the best players in the organization IMO.

On the Oates issue Philly would definately want to keep him after all they gave for him. If JR and Primeau are injured Oates could be a great choice for the #1 center. He's got the leadership, experience, and skill to do it.

Simply Ravishing
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't think the Rangers would trade York either, but they needed help defensively and Poti is pretty decent. I just hope Bure can give them a spark. His contract wont be that big of a deal because Florida probably paid most of it anyway. And I doubt the Rangers will resign Fleury in the offseason, so its basically a wash. I can't believe that Colorado got Kasparaitis. I thought that Detroit would get him all along. Colorado is gonna be a big threat to Detroit now especially if Forsberg comes back for the playoffs.

No Wildlife Order
    4 LIFE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Primuea and JR both out for about 2 weeks each. But still, Ouellette, and 1,2, and a 3rd rounder? If they were going to give up that much, why not have tried for Bure. Clarke is insane. Oh well, if it means more Hlavac for Brashear trades for Vancouver, let him stay. The man is crazy.

Poti for York, this could end up being another Weight trade. Years from now York will have played amazing for the Oilers, then will want big money and leave Edmonton, lol. Poti could be good in the future, though, as well. Stupid Rangers. Good thing their first opponent they face is the Canucks tonight.

And Kasparitis on Colorado. Damn. Lacroix is the deadline man in attaining UFA's.

Watch Your Fucking Mouth
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did anyone hear about the deal the devils and stars made?

They sent Jason Arnott Randy Mckay and a 1st round pick to the stars for Joe Nieuwendyk and Jamie Langenbrunner. Does anyone else think that was a f@#$ed up trade or is it just me?

Personally I would have dealt Mckay, but Arnott?He's a great forward, has alot of skill and power, can score, a leader, and is fairly young. Nieuwendyk is a great player and can score but he is getting old.Langenbrunner is young and has potential but I still think it was a bad trade for the devils.Anyone else think so?

Simply Ravishing
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also think it was a bad trade for the Devils. When I first saw that I was like wtf? I don't know what they were thinking, but Dallas definitely got the better part of that deal. I hate the Devils so I really don't care, but I think they got shafted.

No Wildlife Order
    4 LIFE

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Holy shit, Bertuzzi rules. He's almost single-handedly winning games for the Canucks. I'm glad the Canucks beat the Rangers...I REALLY want Montreal to make the playoffs in front of New York. It'd be funny especially since the Rangers just picked up Bure for their playoff drive.

Bure and the Rangers suck.

That is all.

The Wisco Kid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't believe that Philly gave up so much for Adam Oates. Two thoughts now that this deal is complete:

- Philly probably will sign Oates to an extension or has already verbally agreed or something. He's an UFA after this season and they'd never give up that much if there was a chance he could walk? Right??

- Roenick and/or Primeau may both be seriously injured, or at least more so than everyone is letting on. In case you didn't hear, both guys went down last night and I bet Philly was desperate for a #1 center. Maxime Oullet is gonna be a bonafide starter in a couple years! Weird how earlier in this thread we were talking about him.
    Hell yes. First my Raiders rob the Bucs...and now my Caps rob the Flyers. Its just a shame that they couldn't get things rolling this season...and they'll more than likely miss the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong, Adam Oates in an amazing player...and even though he's the assists leader so far this season, he is past his prime. And you're right, Oullet will be a solid starter in a few years, cuz Olie isn't getting any younger...and with the way he's been playing this season, who knows. I'm just happy the rumors of them dealing Bondra to the Stars didn't come true. *whew*

Simply Ravishing
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bertuzzi trashed the Rangers like Kariya beat the Red Wings tonight. Sorry Raj I couldn't resist. I don't know if you saw it, but he blasted two rockets past Hasek. The first one he could have stopped, but the second one he had no chance on.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Bah, I refuse to watch highlights of that game.

The Red Wings aren't the same without Yzerman...plus they said today that he'll be out for another two weeks or so.
    Last edited by Rajah; March 20th, 2002 at 12:06 AM.

Simply Ravishing
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sucks about Yzerman. I had him on my fantasy hockey team, but I dropped him a couple of weeks ago when he got hurt. I was up by 300 points so it didn't matter too much. So Raj, who do you think is gonna win the East this year? It's pretty wide open, I think either Boston or Toronto is gonna win. And in the West it will probably be Detroit and Colorado in the Conference finals, which should be a great series.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    The three contenders in the East from where I sit:

Boston: Tons of firepower upfront and decent goaltending, but I think their defense isn't too mobile and they don't have that guy who can pass the puck or at least get them out of their zone efficiently on a regular basis. My prediction: Boston won't make it past the second round.

Philadelphia: Great all around team with a good blend of physical and finesse defenseman, and an explosive group of forwards. Their own weakness is goaltending, because even though they have a great 1-2 punch in Cechmanek/Boucher, they don't have that top tier goalie who can steal games night in and night out. If Philly can get healthy in time (Roenick, Primeau) and Oates makes their powerplay work, watch out! My prediction: Philly makes it to the conference final.

Toronto: Great bunch of forwards, a serviceable group of defenseman and some great goaltending. I think by the time the playoffs hit, Toronto will have everyone healthy but I think to win they have to start shortening the bench a little, ie. give Sundin more icetime. Kaberle and McCabe are a formidable one-two punch but the rest of the defense corps tails off. They're lucky they have CuJo and either Barrasso/Schwab. My prediction: Toronto makes it to the finals.

In the West, come on, get real...Detroit all the way! Even though I wish they would have added a physical defenseman. They ended up getting Jiri Slegr...didn't he play for the 'Nucks way back when?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Originally posted by Tazmission

Hell yes. First my Raiders rob the Bucs...and now my Caps rob the Flyers. Its just a shame that they couldn't get things rolling this season...and they'll more than likely miss the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong, Adam Oates in an amazing player...and even though he's the assists leader so far this season, he is past his prime. And you're right, Oullet will be a solid starter in a few years, cuz Olie isn't getting any younger...and with the way he's been playing this season, who knows. I'm just happy the rumors of them dealing Bondra to the Stars didn't come true. *whew*
    Bobby Clarke is an idiot sometimes when it comes to trading. I think he needs to stop letting his emotion get the best out of him. He probably saw Roenick and Primeau go down yesterday and then shit his pants and made up his mind to go after a top center no matter what.

And as for Olie, is it just me or has he taken a step backwards in recent years? I guess it could be a reflection of the team around him. Who's on the Caps defense again? (Not including Gonchar who thinks offense like 24/7).

Simply Ravishing
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Slegr played for the Canucks from 92-95. Detroit missed out on Kasparitis and Odelien. Either of those guys would have given them some toughness. But they will still probably make it to the finals anyway.

Graduate of Bean University
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those were some interesting trades... I've always thought Oates was the most underrated player in the league but he is past his prime and Phili gave up more for him, than NYR gave up for Bure

Hopefully Leclair will score a ton getting setup by Oates though.

The Dallas-NJ trade is a tough one to understand too... I guess NJ just wasn't happy with Arnott, but still Nieuwendyk is in the later years of his career and Jamie Langenbrunner seems way too injury prone even though he is a good player...

Colorado make a good pickup and would be my favorite is Forsberg was playing but even though their still a great team with him out, I have to say Detroit is still the favorite...

Watch Your Fucking Mouth
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the NJ/Dallas trade I am formulating a theory that it is possible that Lamoriello is going to use Nieuwendyk possibly to trade him over the summer with a few others in order to get a bigger star. I remember several teams were making offers for Nieuwendyk before he was traded to NJ and the devils have scored very few goals this year so maybe they will try to land a sniper to fill in for the abscence of Mogilny.

On the subject of trades who do you think will benifit most from the trades they made?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by bionic_wolverine

On the subject of trades who do you think will benifit most from the trades they made?
    In the short term, Philadelphia & NYR. They both gave up very almost no talent from their current team, while getting all star caliber players.

For the long term, maybe Washington if they use their picks right...

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I guess now my fave team is Philly because wherever Oates goes thats my team. Good call on whoever said Oates is underated because dammit he is. I never see him in any All-Star games in the past couple years, to my knowledge he wasn't on the Canadian olympic hockey team, but the guy is always leading the league in assists and always among the leaders in points scored, he's like Dangerfield, I tell you he gets no respect. Also Oates passed his prime? Granted he's not a 25 year old spring chicken, but when I think of somebody passed their prime I think of somebodiy whose skills are now a shadow of what they once used to be. Oates is 39 years old, he's going to lead the league in assists for the 2nd straight year, he's in the top 5 in scoring, to me there doesn't seem to be any skills diminishing or passed his prime, he's just age impaired

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by steviekick
    Well I guess now my fave team is Philly because wherever Oates goes thats my team. Good call on whoever said Oates is underated because dammit he is. I never see him in any All-Star games in the past couple years, to my knowledge he wasn't on the Canadian olympic hockey team, but the guy is always leading the league in assists and always among the leaders in points scored, he's like Dangerfield, I tell you he gets no respect. Also Oates passed his prime? Granted he's not a 25 year old spring chicken, but when I think of somebody passed their prime I think of somebodiy whose skills are now a shadow of what they once used to be. Oates is 39 years old, he's going to lead the league in assists for the 2nd straight year, he's in the top 5 in scoring, to me there doesn't seem to be any skills diminishing or passed his prime, he's just age impaired
    I still don't think a couple of months of Oates is worth what Phili gave up for him... if he signs right away I'll change my mind on that though...

The Wisco Kid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bobby Clarke is an idiot sometimes when it comes to trading. I think he needs to stop letting his emotion get the best out of him. He probably saw Roenick and Primeau go down yesterday and then shit his pants and made up his mind to go after a top center no matter what.

And as for Olie, is it just me or has he taken a step backwards in recent years? I guess it could be a reflection of the team around him. Who's on the Caps defense again? (Not including Gonchar who thinks offense like 24/7).
    I guarantee that is exactly what Bobby Clarke was thinking. Its fine by me though...especially since Oatesy was going to be an unrestricted free agent after this season anyway.

I'm not so sure about Olie though. Yes he has had a lackluster year...but not terrible by any means. And yes a lot of that has to do with the Caps defense(or lack there of).

They lost Calle Johannson early in the season, which really hurt since he is basically the backbone of their defense. Then Steve Konowalchuk(their best defensive minded forward) went down. Those two loses combined pretty much left the defense in shambles. They've got Brenden Witt(who only seems to play well when he's paired with Johannson), vets Ken Klee and Sylvain Cote...and a few other guys(Rob Zettler, Frantisek Kucera, Jean Fortin).

Add that to Olie's woes this season and the fact that it took Jagr three quarters of the season to get settled in Washington...and its no suprise that the Caps will most likely miss the playoffs.

They did look damn good last night though. And Olie was spectacular.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Tazmission
    I'm not so sure about Olie though. Yes he has had a lackluster year...but not terrible by any means. And yes a lot of that has to do with the Caps defense (or lack there of)
    [color=royal blue]Yeah, that's why they got Ouellet, to cover for Olie when he's doing bad. Poor Ouellet... he's kicked ass in WJHC, kicked ass at the Flyers' junior camp, and he's not doing anything in the NHL. Too many goalies... and they stick around until they're 40, like Roy and Burke, so it's hard to make it as a young goalie these days.

Straka broke his leg. The Pens are fucked.[/color]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Straka is out again? OMG what a horrible year for the Pens. Mario, Kovalev, Straka, then Straka again, the Jagr trade, getting Kevin Stevens. They won't be able to survive much longer with all the crap that has happened to them. I, for one, am happy, because there is nothing worse then a listening to a Pens fan who refuses to see reality. I had an argument all last year with a Pens fan about how they weren't strong enough to win the cup. He insisted they would. I said NJ would take them out. He said no way, Pens new style of offense would kick the Devils ass, Hedberg was going to outplay Broduer. Then my Devils showed him who was right. That was a great moment. Havent heard back from him since then. I should be any day now, though, so he can rub that god-awful Arnott deal in my face.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Straka is out again? OMG what a horrible year for the Pens. Mario, Kovalev, Straka, then Straka again, the Jagr trade, getting Kevin Stevens. They won't be able to survive much longer with all the crap that has happened to them. I, for one, am happy, because there is nothing worse then a listening to a Pens fan who refuses to see reality. I had an argument all last year with a Pens fan about how they weren't strong enough to win the cup. He insisted they would. I said NJ would take them out. He said no way, Pens new style of offense would kick the Devils ass, Hedberg was going to outplay Broduer. Then my Devils showed him who was right. That was a great moment. Havent heard back from him since then. I should be any day now, though, so he can rub that god-awful Arnott deal in my face.
    [color=royal blue]Was this friend named Mike by any chance? I had the same argument with a friend last year... he said Pittsburgh would tear apart NJ's "stupid trap" with their amazing offence and then kill the Avs in the finals 'cause they're "just another stupid stacked team."

He refused to realize that offence isn't everything... he said defence didn't matter, 'cause NJ has none and they could outscore the Avs... Let's see... no one ever gets around the trap when they're firing on all cylinders, and they have a damn good offence too. Play defence against them, you'll probably win. If you get impatient like the Leafs did in last year's playoffs and start playing offence, you're screwed.[/color]