Page 192 of 197 FirstFirst ... 182188189190191192193194195196 ... LastLast
Results 19,101 to 19,200 of 19688

Thread: NBA Thread

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully they carry on in a month or so.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So this Jazz player Rudy Gobert was the first to be diagnosed in the NBA and he was joking around touching everybody's stuff before he knew he had it. There's that video of him touching all the microphones as he was leaving his press conference, and it's reported that "Jazz players privately say that Rudy Gobert had been careless in the locker room touching other players and their belongings." What a dickhead. I mean, I get that this was before his diagnosis but .... just an all time bad move. Was he already experiencing flu-like symptoms when he was doing that stuff? I wonder.

Unrelated note, I feel like the Knicks have burst onto the scene of being the worst franchise in American sports lately. Which is not to say they haven't been bad for a long time already but with the Spike Lee stuff and other various news bits I've heard about, they are really a complete joke right now. It goes beyond having a bad team on the court, the way they handle PR and other stuff is so bad. Their response to the Spike Lee incident was so poorly worded.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is their Spike Lee response for those who don't know what I'm referring to

https://twitter.com/NY_KnicksPR/stat...076789761?s=20

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    So this Jazz player Rudy Gobert was the first to be diagnosed in the NBA and he was joking around touching everybody's stuff before he knew he had it. There's that video of him touching all the microphones as he was leaving his press conference, and it's reported that "Jazz players privately say that Rudy Gobert had been careless in the locker room touching other players and their belongings." What a dickhead. I mean, I get that this was before his diagnosis but .... just an all time bad move. Was he already experiencing flu-like symptoms when he was doing that stuff? I wonder.
    I can say with knowledge due to the fact of being in an NBA locker room regularly in a past life of mine, it is careless but it is the norm. These guys share a lot of things within their locker (cologne, lotion, things of that nature). Maybe there was heightened awareness over recent weeks but I doubt it was radically different. The fact that players went out of their way (off the record, obviously) to say that didn't help Gobert's cause, though. It appears they have a second positive case on their team but that appears the extent as everyone else tested negative.

The issue is the second player was present at a nearby high school in Oklahoma, where the game was set to be played, so who knows the ramifications.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BGMaverick View Post
    I can say with knowledge due to the fact of being in an NBA locker room regularly in a past life of mine, it is careless but it is the norm. These guys share a lot of things within their locker (cologne, lotion, things of that nature). Maybe there was heightened awareness over recent weeks but I doubt it was radically different. The fact that players went out of their way (off the record, obviously) to say that didn't help Gobert's cause, though. It appears they have a second positive case on their team but that appears the extent as everyone else tested negative.

The issue is the second player was present at a nearby high school in Oklahoma, where the game was set to be played, so who knows the ramifications.
    you used to be in NBA locker rooms? do tell. (you might have told it before but I don't recall)

The way he was mocking the virus by touching all of the microphones to germ them up, followed by the report that players said he was being careless, makes me wonder if he did the same thing to them in the locker room. At best, he went about his normal business as you describe. At worst, he kept joking about it in the locker room and did the same stunt that he did to the media's microphones/recorders. Given that Jazz players reportedly are calling him careless, I wouldn't be surprised if it was more than just everyday touching of items.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you used to be in NBA locker rooms? do tell. (you might have told it before but I don't recall)

The way he was mocking the virus by touching all of the microphones to germ them up, followed by the report that players said he was being careless, makes me wonder if he did the same thing to them in the locker room. At best, he went about his normal business as you describe. At worst, he kept joking about it in the locker room and did the same stunt that he did to the media's microphones/recorders. Given that Jazz players reportedly are calling him careless, I wouldn't be surprised if it was more than just everyday touching of items.
    I haven't mentioned it lol. Just a past life working with teams (four) and doing work for them in different natures.

I mean, he really wouldn't have to do much out of the norm of their day to day routine. They shared training tables, training equipment, personal items (if someone needed to use it) so even if he was being careful, the NBA would have had to ramp up the preventative measures and I doubt they did that to the fullest level available (not a knock on them, but it's just a fact of life probably). Normal business was going to have close interaction.
    Last edited by BGMaverick; March 12th, 2020 at 12:01 PM.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't mentioned it lol. Just a past life working with teams (four) and doing work for them in different natures.
    Righteous. Any cool stories of you interacting with players/coaches?

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Righteous. Any cool stories of you interacting with players/coaches?
    Countless, lol. Not any I'm really interested in sharing though.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's kinda weird but okay

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's kinda weird but okay
    Any NBA player or coach of note from about 2010-2018, that came through Texas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma...I interacted with them lol. Some a lot more than others, and talked to them directly. Some in a one-on-one setting. I've seen two championship celebrations after they won and have held the trophy twice.

Better? Lol.
    Last edited by BGMaverick; March 12th, 2020 at 12:14 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Kevin Durant with the virus..

Mentioned
    302 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of 4 members of the Nets.

My dad pinned Mr Backlund Kneeneighbor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
    Kevin Durant with the virus..
    Saw the virus was winning and wanted to jump ship.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Last Dance is everything. So many fantastic bits in it.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Is that on ESPN over there? That's going to get mega ratings. It's on Netflix here.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know they tried to paint some sympathy on Pippen in regards to his contract, but I really didn't have any lol. If anything, they should have looked more into the insurance policies he could have established. He had a good mindset but he still ended up making a bad deal.

ALL of that said, he came out really well because he made a shit ton of money in the end.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite moment was how they identified Barack Obama as "Former Chicago Resident". But MJ's reaction to "Traveling Cocaine Circus" was pretty good

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    My favorite moment was how they identified Barack Obama as "Former Chicago Resident". But MJ's reaction to "Traveling Cocaine Circus" was pretty good
    The lower third chyron work by them so far is quite impressive. Same example for Obama for Clinton.

Jordan working Moncrief (the two-time defending DPOY) in the third game of his career, Jordan being livid at the end of that second season with the old-school load management (yet he still AVERAGED 22.7 points), and so much more. There was just so, so, so much gold in those first two episodes. I know they're only going to deliver more over the next four weeks. The sequencing and framing is brilliant. This is going to be an all-time sports doc.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Last Dance is everything. So many fantastic bits in it.
    Amazing those first 2 episodes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    Haha loved that bit.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    My friend a Bulls lover is trying to get me, A Showtime Lakers lover and strident Hater of everything MJ to watch this. I don't think so. However, I missed the Laker/Celtics doc from last year. So I am going to check this out. I may check out this if it's Jordan is and was a dickhead that apperantly Michael fears it will be. Pippen made his cash by ripping off those Rocket and Blazers teams.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m a Laker fan but come on you’ll appreciate and love this.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    I'll give the two episodes for you, Chris. For you.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good lad.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched the first episode and it was great but I feel like 10 episodes is a lot of time to fill. I’m curious to see how much they get into his gambling addiction.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched the first episode and it was great but I feel like 10 episodes is a lot of time to fill. I’m curious to see how much they get into his gambling addiction.
    I imagine it'll be fairly easy because they'll do profiles on players and Phil, as well. There's plenty of backstory for Jordan and the team that culminates to that season. It's a Jordan (Bulls) doc so there's an abundance of meat on the bone but the backdrop of that season is going to be a way to keep a guiding force in play.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just from episode 1, it was apparent to me (or rather a reminder of) how much Kobe was the second coming of Jordan. He really embodied MJ I’m so many ways, on the court and in the way he spoke/handled himself.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just from episode 1, it was apparent to me (or rather a reminder of) how much Kobe was the second coming of Jordan. He really embodied MJ I’m so many ways, on the court and in the way he spoke/handled himself.
    Definitely a player that adopted the hunger/determination/passion factor from an early age. Bryant was in Italy when Jordan was thriving so he just absorbed everything he could see and then emulated it. Once Bryant kinda grew into his final form in terms of his frame, he knew he could really go full steam ahead and mimicked Jordan. He kind of just took on the mannerisms and vocalization by constantly observing Jordan.

Jordan even talked about it at the memorial, how Bryant became a little brother to him. Once Jordan was out of the league, Bryant hounded him for as much information as Jordan could provide. As he kept on going, Jordan fully recognized and respected the drive, and he wanted to make good on helping Bryant.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking that, but then with them going back and fourth with the timeline and with also having stuff on other players and probably Phil Jackson, think it’ll be just right.

- - - Updated - - -

Separate note, those two games against Boston in the playoffs though...WOW.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Watched the first two episodes, pretty good. Found out that I have pay for the Celtics/Lakers doc. Boo.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good that you liked it.

Lakers/Celtics doc is worth paying for though.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From Episode 3 of The Last Dance: Carmen Electra was something else and is still something else.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I never liked her face.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love how there was shade on Detroit last night by people saying it had to be nice for fans of the Pistons to be able to watch Pistons basketball in late April with the doc for the first time in quite some time.

Some notes I took from these episodes last night:
    - It's crazy how loyal Jordan was to coaches.
    - Daly loses recognition as time passes on. He was a great coach.
    - Rodman breaking down his technique was fascinating. Perfect elite mix of athleticism, anticipation, recognition, and drive.
    - Ehlo went from goat to (unfortunately) ridiculed in extremely quick order.
    - The director's usage of pulling an iphone/ipad to allow for immediate reaction is a fantastic trope.

"Move the ball, there's no I in team."
    "There's an I in win."

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    on all what you said.

That MJ quote too was class.

- - - Updated - - -

From Episode 3 of The Last Dance: Carmen Electra was something else and is still something else.
    She is fiiiiiiiiit.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Episode 5:
    - The stuff with Kobe Bryant at the start was bittersweet.
    “That little Laker boy is gonna take us all 1-on-1."
    - Adidas took the strongest of Ls in this episode, not being able to seal the deal because they couldn’t get a shoe for Jordan. Converse needs to GTFOH if they don't re-release the Weapon.
    - BJ Armstrong's bit about Jordan no longer playing basketball because he knew how to win was money. That was incredibly spot on.
    - Magic Johnson is an asshat when it comes to tweeting but he’s one of the best legit storytellers of all time.

- Toni Kukoc: "Going into the Olympics, I thought everything was OK." Those were the words of a dead man lol. Kukoc was dealing with REAL WORLD issues like a damn civil war and Pippen/Jordan were essentially like, we're going to fuck this guy up during the Olympics. Jerry Krause was enamored with Kukoc and those two took that as a slight.
    - The social activism/social matters section was welcomed to see in the doc.

Episode 6:
    - Tossing fucking quarters at a wall and gambling on it. Unreal. That security guard winning and doing the Jordan shrug at Jordan was utterly fantastic.

- A series between the Knicks and the Bad Boy Pistons would have required a change to the rules or the national guard.
    - The gambling stuff was interesting and it’s hard to spot many negatives with Jordan’s POV…other than who he gambled with.
    “I have a competition problem.”
    - Jordan's interview with the sunglasses would have been crazy as hell if that happened today haha.
    - Rule of thumb: don’t gamble with someone whose first name is a physical descriptor.

- Good on the director making sure to portray Charles Barkley as a MFing monster. Dude is a walking, hilarious soundbyte now but he was a nasty as hell player back in the 90s.
    Last edited by BGMaverick; May 4th, 2020 at 1:23 AM.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Episode 7:
    "It starts with hard work, and it ends with champagne.”

Great opening line to a playoff push.

The stuff with Michael’s dad was hard as hell. It also showed a crazy sign of the times, where a person was off the grid for a couple days and no one really cared. If it’s a few hours TODAY, people are flipping out. Communication was just so different then.

All of the stuff from reporters, trying to connect dots with Jordan’s dad’s death to Jordan’s gambling is a hell of a reach. Combining that and the gambling probe from the media, I could see why Jordan was pissed the hell off at the media.

Pippen’s line of thinking with sitting out of spite on the final play of that Conference Semis game against the Knicks was something else and I get his perspective, but he was out of line for what he did. The situation wasn’t ideal for him in that moment, and he just was a sourpuss.

The stuff at the end in regards to Jordan’s leadership was brilliant. The fear factor with Jordan was a double-edged sword. He had some many teammates saying he couldn’t have been nice, and then Jordan outlined at the end that winning and leadership had a price. “People will see this and say he wasn’t a nice guy he may have been a tyrant. Well that’s you, because you never won anything.” What a flex.

Episode 8:
    Tying in what BJ Armstrong did in Game 2 and connecting it to the LaBradford Smith story was incredible. What a maniac, Jordan fabricating a story to create an edge to motivate him for the very next game. That guy is a sociopath lol.

Jordan put up 28 shots in his first game out of retirement. TWENTY-EIGHT…in a game that played at a much different pace compared today lol.

That 94-95 Magic team could have been something special as an organization if they could have kept it all together. Grant was starting to approach the downward trajectory, Shaq was on the way out, Penny couldn’t stay healthy, and Nick Anderson essentially broke.

Like the Dream Team scrimmages, we need the uncut footage of the Space Jam scrimmages.

The stuff between Kerr and Jordan harkens back to the leadership issue from the previous episode. The thing about Jordan’s leadership is that not many people were going to be okay stepping up to him. Kerr clearly was good with doing that and what happened? Jordan respected it and knew he was in the wrong.

George Karl has to be kicking himself STILL to this day about not putting GP on Jordan. That was such a bad mistake on Karl’s part. I doubt the story actually changes dramatically if GP was on him, but they would have had to do it differently and with more effort.

The rawness with Jordan and the Bulls winning on Father’s Day was fantastic.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since we can only talk about sports history for the moment, I'd like to hear everyone's take on something I heard today.
    Is Vince Carter the best thing to happen to Toronto or do you think somebody else is deserving of that claim?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Masai Ujiri..

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Episode 7:
    "It starts with hard work, and it ends with champagne.”

Great opening line to a playoff push.

The stuff with Michael’s dad was hard as hell. It also showed a crazy sign of the times, where a person was off the grid for a couple days and no one really cared. If it’s a few hours TODAY, people are flipping out. Communication was just so different then.

All of the stuff from reporters, trying to connect dots with Jordan’s dad’s death to Jordan’s gambling is a hell of a reach. Combining that and the gambling probe from the media, I could see why Jordan was pissed the hell off at the media.

Pippen’s line of thinking with sitting out of spite on the final play of that Conference Semis game against the Knicks was something else and I get his perspective, but he was out of line for what he did. The situation wasn’t ideal for him in that moment, and he just was a sourpuss.

The stuff at the end in regards to Jordan’s leadership was brilliant. The fear factor with Jordan was a double-edged sword. He had some many teammates saying he couldn’t have been nice, and then Jordan outlined at the end that winning and leadership had a price. “People will see this and say he wasn’t a nice guy he may have been a tyrant. Well that’s you, because you never won anything.” What a flex.

Episode 8:
    Tying in what BJ Armstrong did in Game 2 and connecting it to the LaBradford Smith story was incredible. What a maniac, Jordan fabricating a story to create an edge to motivate him for the very next game. That guy is a sociopath lol.

Jordan put up 28 shots in his first game out of retirement. TWENTY-EIGHT…in a game that played at a much different pace compared today lol.

That 94-95 Magic team could have been something special as an organization if they could have kept it all together. Grant was starting to approach the downward trajectory, Shaq was on the way out, Penny couldn’t stay healthy, and Nick Anderson essentially broke.

Like the Dream Team scrimmages, we need the uncut footage of the Space Jam scrimmages.

The stuff between Kerr and Jordan harkens back to the leadership issue from the previous episode. The thing about Jordan’s leadership is that not many people were going to be okay stepping up to him. Kerr clearly was good with doing that and what happened? Jordan respected it and knew he was in the wrong.

George Karl has to be kicking himself STILL to this day about not putting GP on Jordan. That was such a bad mistake on Karl’s part. I doubt the story actually changes dramatically if GP was on him, but they would have had to do it differently and with more effort.

The rawness with Jordan and the Bulls winning on Father’s Day was fantastic.
    Brilliant, love reading this

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Vince Carter was very important for Canadian basketball. There is the possibility that without him the Raptors might have left Canada much like the Grizzlies did. Thankfully we had someone like VC who was so exciting it kept bringing the fans and brought us through that tough time. So because of that he is very important.

But as Percussion said I think it has to go to Masai. If you want to go with a player it's probably Kyle Lowry is the greatest Raptor of all time. Not the best player they've had, that goes to Kawhi and his 1 season. But Lowry is the greatest of all time.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted someone to say Kawhi just for the spice. Ujiri is the correct answer, though.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WWXChairman View Post
    Since we can only talk about sports history for the moment, I'd like to hear everyone's take on something I heard today.
    Is Vince Carter the best thing to happen to Toronto or do you think somebody else is deserving of that claim?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does nobody remember anything? Vince Carter was a complete dipshit that imploded those Raptors as much as anything positive he contributed. It's amazing after a few years at the end where he was a good guy people completely forget what a dog and cancer he was in Toronto.

I think Chris Bosh, Demar Derozan, and Lowry had a much more net positive for that franchise than Vince Carter.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Trust me. I don't forget his last years with the Raptors. But I think his impact on the game in Canada was gigantic. Canadian basketball is at the greatest place it's ever been and he is a major reason for that.

But it is those last years that will prevent him from having his jersey retired.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    But when it comes to important moments in a franchise history.

A year ago today

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    But when it comes to important moments in a franchise history.

A year ago today

yeah cool thanks i hate you too.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Hahahaha.

Just be glad I didn't tag you in it. I thought about it for a second, but decided I wouldn't be THAT mean.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada

Considering the topic of late this is fitting and for you @Morrison

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Episode 9

• Jordan to Miller: “Don’t ever talk trash to Black Jesus.” Damn. I just love how someone could cough or sniffle and Jordan would be like, “now it’s personal.” That man is going to go down as the GOAT of holding a grudge.
    • Jordan’s attempt in Game 4 of the ECF after Miller’s shot was so damn crazy. He had a chance to rip the hearts out of the Pacers, off a double-clutch, and he barely missed. Miller’s push-off for the game-winner ultimately validates anyone who gives shit to Jordan for the Russell push.
    • I’ve heard to Flu Game story multiple times and I hate the slander that comes to pizza because of it. If there was a time where more than one person would be delivering you a pizza in the 90s, it should have been the MFing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Regardless, that is a tough task that he had to go through in Game 5. The man played just over 44 minutes, feeling like hell, and he nailed daggers. Though a migraine is terrible, the fact that Jordan did what he did in ’97 created a sense of inability to comprehend how Pippen could be stifled by a migraine earlier in his career.
    • The story about Kerr’s dad is just absolutely brutal. Nothing but absolute heartbreak. I can only imagine the conversations Kerr and Jordan would have had if they actually went down that road to talk about their fathers.
    • Scott Burrell wasn’t even in the frame, probably not even 10-15 feet away…and he was STILL catching strays from Jordan hahaha.
    • The Gus Lett story was another tearjerker. I believe Jordan outright paid for all of Lett’s medical bills.

Episode 10

• Jordan was likely a damn psychopath. He was saying that he was listening to new Kenny Lattimore, before anyone else was. Why is he probably a psychopath? Because there was probably not a damn thing playing in those headphones lol.
    • The Jazz got fucking waxed in Game 3 of the ’98 Finals. My lord.
    • Rodzilla. He was doing that NWO shit during THE NBA FINALS.
    • Malone was something else in the 90s. I have no idea how he would have fared in today’s NBA but he was a damn force back in the day.
    • The LaBradford Smith story hurts credibility of Jordan’s storytelling to an extent but it’s an all-time level of pettiness that Russell told Jordan that Russell could guard him when he was retired, so Jordan used that as fuel when it came time to hit two game-winners on his ass.
    • The crazy, and probably cruel, thing for the Jazz is they probably had better than a fighter’s chance if it got to Game 7. Utah would be at home, Jordan was spent, Pippen was done, and Rodman was always a powder keg. Jordan just wasn’t going to let that happen. His last 40-plus seconds of Game 6 was magical.
    • It’s hilarious that Titanic had been out for a few months already, DiCaprio was in the building and paying his respects to Jordan after Game 6 and Jordan is talking about The Man in the Iron Mask, haha.
    • Jordan’s reactions after looking at an iPad is one of the most electric things in sports now.
    • Reinsdorf had 20 years to come up with an excuse for this doc in terms of breaking up the Bulls and he didn’t have a good excuse.
    • Good luck and God Bless those who will be making sports documentaries going forward because this is the gold standard.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again well said BG

I honestly don’t think this doc will be topped for a very very long time.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I the NBA bubble right now..

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed. gotta love the bubble. just flipped on this LA vs LA game for my first taste

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    This basketball is kinda weird. So happy its back.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So happy it’s back. Think the NBA has done the whole bubble thing quite good.

2-2 with Clippers in regular season, hopefully see them in the playoffs. Sloppy game yesterday, AD hadn’t missed a beat though.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fuck tj warren.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking Luka…. Drops a 36/14/19!!

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/1292303629458841601

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was nasty the entire game. KP is coming into his own as a player too. That was a better process than results-oriented game for him offensively. DFS essentially covered up the sins of Hardaway and Curry because they were both atrocious. Dallas is borderline garbage defensively. They have to do it with smoke and mirrors on offense because they've only got one reliable playmaker. Luckily for them, he's a cheat code in that regard. The between-the-legs dime is just something a kid his age shouldn't be able to pull off, especially under the circumstances of the game and the opponent.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
    fuck tj warren.
    Fuck him again. Fella destroyed Lakers last night

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by _me View Post
    Fucking Luka…. Drops a 36/14/19!!

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/1292303629458841601
    What a bloody player

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I've had the NBA bubble on in the background when I'm doing other stuff, but Luka is something special.

As someone not as NBA-savy as most, how has Trae Young looked? Will the Hawks regret this trade, or is he going to be really good to?

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeSplitter View Post
    I've had the NBA bubble on in the background when I'm doing other stuff, but Luka is something special.

As someone not as NBA-savy as most, how has Trae Young looked? Will the Hawks regret this trade, or is he going to be really good to?
    He's already a pretty gifted shooter and solid facilitator. I think it's going to be a trade where both sides are happy but it's primarily helped by the fact Young isn't a bust. Luka is easily more primed to be a generational star while Young is primed to be a star.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Cool, thanks for letting me know.

The older I get, the less I find myself caring about teams outside of my city. The Timberwolves were awful as I was growing up, so it made me less inclined to be a basketball fan. Hopefully they can sort it out. If KAT and Russell get their buddy Booker (which I don't think is feasible) they will need to score 160 a game to win...

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    It also depends on what happens with Cam.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Suns go 8-0 and are still knocked out. Does this help quell the Booker rumors?

Also, Bulls coach is fired.

Cruiserweight Champion
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Celtics over Clippers in 6. Any other predictions? Put them there (or some variation of that)

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeSplitter View Post
    Suns go 8-0 and are still knocked out. Does this help quell the Booker rumors?

Also, Bulls coach is fired.
    Pelicans coach now fired too

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InsertItHere View Post
    Celtics over Clippers in 6. Any other predictions? Put them there (or some variation of that)
    Never haha.

Lakers 4-3 over Celtics

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully that lose by the Bucks today was the wake up call they needed.
    They have looked relatively bad in the bubble, don’t think they’ve played a complete game yet.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ugh Hayward out a month with a ankle sprain. Just one of those things where he landed on a teammate’s foot, but damn the guy has had such bad injury luck since he signed here.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ugh Hayward out a month with a ankle sprain. Just one of those things where he landed on a teammate’s foot, but damn the guy has had such bad injury luck since he signed here.
    almost evens the playing field with Sixers not having Simmons.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more I look at it, the Mavs and the Lakers aren't radically far off from each other in terms of their personnel. That's not bad from Dallas' perspective for their upside but that's extremely troubling for the other team.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hithit View Post
    Hopefully that lose by the Bucks today was the wake up call they needed.
    They have looked relatively bad in the bubble, don’t think they’ve played a complete game yet.
    Hopefully the the Lakers loss was a wake up call too.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Scott View Post
    Hopefully the the Lakers loss was a wake up call too.
    The Lakers are playing arguably the hottest team with the hottest player right now. If the other guys don’t step up LeBron and AD are gonna be in big trouble.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just statistically, it is very unlikely that the Lakers will shoot 15% from 3 again. If they even shoot "average", they win the game. Especially since it wasn't really Portland's defense that was causing it.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a feeling now one of the LA teams will lose in the first round. Just can't put my finger on which one it will be.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s defo Clippers

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the Bucks, Lakers or Clippers lose in the first round (especially if more than one does), does that basically put an asterisk on the eventual winner in the minds of most people? Losing the top seeds in the conference finals is one thing but losing in the first round is a big loss for the playoffs legacy.

I feel like it would be seen as "proof" that this playoffs was "unfair" because the best teams didn't get home court like every other year.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, that point of view is dumb. There’s a reason each series is best of 7. May the best team win.

And there are no positive Covid tests in the bubble anymore. This tournament is as legit as can be.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the Bucks, Lakers or Clippers lose in the first round (especially if more than one does), does that basically put an asterisk on the eventual winner in the minds of most people? Losing the top seeds in the conference finals is one thing but losing in the first round is a big loss for the playoffs legacy.

I feel like it would be seen as "proof" that this playoffs was "unfair" because the best teams didn't get home court like every other year.
    In a word: No.

These players aren't going into the playoffs and thinking this is an asterisk championship opportunity. It's a championship opportunity. If you're going in there and not thinking you're going to win, you shouldn't even be there. Adversity was happening either way.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nobody is getting home court and nobody has to do any traveling. if a top seed is getting eliminated in the first round cause it's 'unfair they didnt get home court advantage,' boo fucking hoo.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
    nobody is getting home court and nobody has to do any traveling. if a top seed is getting eliminated in the first round cause it's 'unfair they didnt get home court advantage,' boo fucking hoo.
    So then what is the purpose of the regular season then?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as legit as can be.
    The key phrase.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Much like the Rockets in 94, the Spurs in 99, the Mavs in 2011 and the Heat in 2012. All fake titles.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So then what is the purpose of the regular season then?
    In a normal year, it's to fill seats.

This year, it's only for the TV revenue

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LAAAAAAKERS

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    Much like the Rockets in 94, the Spurs in 99, the Mavs in 2011 and the Heat in 2012. All fake titles.
    Many fans do put asterisks on both the Rocket's titles (no MJ) the Spurs first one (the lockout). The two recent ones not as much even though the situation is the same mostly because the top teams still made the Finals.

I am not saying it is fair. Or that I will do it. I am just asking if we think fans will start to use that reasoning if it ends up with the Celtics vs Rockets or something like that.

Historically, NBA home-court advantages are one of the best bets in sports. The top seed in the NBA playoffs almost always wins. Especially in the first two rounds. If that doesn't happen this year too, it will be hard to ignore the anomaly.

https://freakonomics.com/2011/12/18/...ntage-and-why/
    Last edited by _me; August 21st, 2020 at 9:24 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    An asterisk for a year where no one has an added advantage..

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many fans do put asterisks on both the Rocket's titles (no MJ) the Spurs first one (the lockout). The two recent ones not as much even though the situation is the same mostly because the top teams still made the Finals.

I am not saying it is fair. Or that I will do it. I am just asking if we think fans will start to use that reasoning if it ends up with the Celtics vs Rockets or something like that.

Historically, NBA home-court advantages are one of the best bets in sports. The top seed in the NBA playoffs almost always wins. Especially in the first two rounds. If that doesn't happen this year too, it will be hard to ignore the anomaly.

https://freakonomics.com/2011/12/18/...ntage-and-why/
    The Rockets are really good, seen a lot of people predicting them to go all the way. You should have used an example with worse teams. Like if the finals end up being Blazers vs Magic then it will be odd but 2 championship contending teams getting there is normal.

But if you’re just asking us what we think Twitter eggs with 40 followers will say on social media if the rockets win, the answer is who cares. Twitter eggs will always say dumb stuff. But no I still don’t think the bulk of fans will feel the way you’re describing unless a team goes down with Covid and another team advances because of it, which seems unlikely.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An asterisk for a year where no one has an added advantage..
    But the best teams are supposed to HAVE an advantage. That is what the regular season is for. The loss of their expected advantage is an advantage to their opponent.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Rockets are really good, seen a lot of people predicting them to go all the way. You should have used an example with worse teams. Like if the finals end up being Blazers vs Magic then it will be odd but 2 championship contending teams getting there is normal.

But if you’re just asking us what we think Twitter eggs with 40 followers will say on social media if the rockets win, the answer is who cares. Twitter eggs will always say dumb stuff. But no I still don’t think the bulk of fans will feel the way you’re describing unless a team goes down with Covid and another team advances because of it, which seems unlikely.
    I think it is more than just Twitter eggs that put those asterisks on the Rockets and Spurs titles. It was a rather large discussion again during MJ's Last Dance doc. I heard it discussed on multiple podcasts.

*I was going to use the Celtics vs Thunder as my example but since Houston is beating them so bad, that didn't seem very likely.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    But the best teams are supposed to HAVE an advantage. That is what the regular season is for. The loss of their expected advantage is an advantage to their opponent.
    It's something we've always had as a solution to having home and away games in an uneven numbered playoff series, it's not something that was designed into the fabric of the game. Other than that home/away uneven numbered series we seek to level the playing field in every way we can. And this season with no need to solve the home and away problem we're back to basic level playing field sport.. may the best team win.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is more than just Twitter eggs that put those asterisks on the Rockets and Spurs titles. It was a rather large discussion again during MJ's Last Dance doc. I heard it discussed on multiple podcasts.

*I was going to use the Celtics vs Thunder as my example but since Houston is beating them so bad, that didn't seem very likely.
    I haven’t heard about the asterisks on those two titles. An asterisk because MJ retired? That is so aggressively stupid.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't believe in asterisks on any titles. Raptors beat the Warriors with their two top players out and I don't think of their title any less. I don't even put one on the Astros or Patriots for cheating. The NHL and NBA playoffs have been super competitive. I think these titles are just as legit as any.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other than that home/away uneven numbered series we seek to level the playing field in every way we can.
    So other than the artificial advantage that they choose give to the higher seed in literally every series, it is even?

Why not play the Finals on a neutral court like the NFL and NCAA do? Because they want to reward the best team with an advantage. In fact, they used to just rotate it (east vs west) and specifically changed it in 2014 to give the advantage to the better team.

• Of the 73 NBA champions, 71 of them were either a No. 1 seed (49), a No. 2 seed (16) or a No. 3 seed (6).

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    I don't believe in asterisks on any titles. Raptors beat the Warriors with their two top players out and I don't think of their title any less. I don't even put one on the Astros or Patriots for cheating. The NHL and NBA playoffs have been super competitive. I think these titles are just as legit as any.
    Don’t lump in the patriots with the Astros. Idk which title you would even consider asterisking for the pats. The air pressure one? That’s like asterisking because a pitcher had tar on his hat.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only note that the years that things are different (like 1981 MLB and 1999 NBA) for mental bookkeeping. I personally don't put asterisks either. Every team is using the same rules, even if they are different than previous years. Move on.

But I do think that it will become a large talking point in the media if the Lakers or Clippers lose early.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don’t lump in the patriots with the Astros. Idk which title you would even consider asterisking for the pats. The air pressure one? That’s like asterisking because a pitcher had tar on his hat.
    I wouldn't put one on any but probably the skygate ones.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't put one on any but probably the skygate ones.
    We just arbitrarily backdating that 2007 violation to the seasons 3, 4 and 6 years prior to it even though it was common practice in those seasons before the league cracked down on it in 2006? I know you’re not making the case for the asterisk but if someone did, it would be a very weak case.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just arbitrarily backdating that 2007 violation to the seasons 3, 4 and 6 years prior to it even though it was common practice in those seasons before the league cracked down on it in 2006? I know you’re not making the case for the asterisk but if someone did, it would be a very weak case.
    Yeah I don't think anyone is. My main point is, it would be very hard for me to label a team's championship with an asterisk.