Results 17,901 to 17,944 of 17944

Thread: NBA Thread

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    You think a team is going to give up more pieces in the middle of the year than they would right now? I doubt the Lakers or Sixers offer more for him in the middle of the year. Doesn't seem to make much sense. Most likely he stays with the Raptors, they lose in the ECF or Finals and then he goes to LA
    I'm not getting caught up in the amount of pieces between now and February. I'm more interested in if a market can get generated. If that's the case, I'm interested if I'm Toronto. If that's the case, you must have a sense that you're not keeping Leonard and you can get what you can before he leaves for nothing.

OK Red Champ
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Kawhi is annoying. Boo hoo you don't want to play for the Spurs who are always good, or the Raptors, you just want to play for the fucking Lakers. Enjoy the Toronto winter and losing to the Cetlics, bitch.
    I second this. My opinion of Kawhi has done a complete 180 in the last year. At this point, it would be poetic justice if Kawhi gets hurt again next year, he doesn't get a max deal and the Lakers don't want him either, screw Kawhi.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I was going to say what did Toronto do to deserve that. But the way we lied to DeRozan I guess it would be karma for the franchise as well.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firing a highly respectable coach who led them to 1st in East then lying to their star player during trade discussions; yeah, I’d say they have some bad karma coming their direction.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sending away your best player, a first rounder (no matter how low) and a decent young piece is some gamble for a 1 year rental, even if the East is wide open and Kawhi is a top 5 player. Even if he recovers fully, he still doesn't make them a title contender to the level of the Warriors and the Rockets and I'd say they're still comfortably behind Boston, considering that Kyrie and Hayward will be ready from day 1.

Pretty mad from Toronto, and a good haul for the Spurs. Good that Lakers kept young core and giving them all a chance this year and then have a good FA to choose from next year. Go Lakers.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BGMaverick View Post
    I'm not getting caught up in the amount of pieces between now and February. I'm more interested in if a market can get generated. If that's the case, I'm interested if I'm Toronto. If that's the case, you must have a sense that you're not keeping Leonard and you can get what you can before he leaves for nothing.
    I mean you literally said in your post about causing a bidding war between two teams etc. You made it seem like they can get more than what teams were already offering which I can't see how that would be the case.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should have added 'try to' create a bidding war, but the fact he's going to be on the market is going to create at least a soft one. Teams are much less likely to make deals now (in this part of the summer/offseason) than they are in February anyway.

For Toronto, the perspective is going to change. They can be of the mindset to get more than what teams were offering before this trade, but that's unlikely. The perspective changes because they'll now know that the trade wasn't maximized to its fullest potential because he's not staying. At that point, you'll look to recoup whatever assets you can get before he leaves for nothing. It's a tricky scenario, but that's what they'd likely try to do.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really? Are there that many trades during the season? I don't remember any happening last year unless my memory is way off.

I don't think they would have made the trade only to get less than what they gave up a few months from now. Doesn't seem smart at all. especially if they are leading the east

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really? Are there that many trades during the season? I don't remember any happening last year unless my memory is way off.

I don't think they would have made the trade only to get less than what they gave up a few months from now. Doesn't seem smart at all. especially if they are leading the east
    Obviously there will be years where there's not many trades but more often than not, you'll see more deals in February than in mid-July. There's an artificial deadline in place, so clearly more happen there at that point in the season compared to now (after free agency has mainly come and gone and summer league is over). The general thought is teams are done making moves, they've seen what they need to see out of the players on the summer league roster, and now it's time to move to vacation. The window for most trades happening was at its peak at the start of this month but it usually fizzles out within a week or two.

Of course you're not going to make that trade only to make a deal in February to get less than what you gave up in July. That's silly. The way it makes sense is if you go through the season and it becomes clear he has absolutely no interest in staying. Plus, I don't think they're leading the East. Everything has to fall their way in order for that to happen: first-time coach actually hits the ground running, Leonard acclimates quickly, Lowry doesn't devalue as a player, role players last season step up, and then everyone (Boston, Philly) don't improve internally.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thunder agree trade for Melo to Hawks for Schroeder and Muscala. Melo will be waived and will join a team of his choice (Rockets).

Man of the Community
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Huge come up for the thunder.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Decent number of people happy about Melo coming here. The hope of course is that he'll gel better with Paul than with Westbrook, which makes sense on paper I suppose. I'm not convinced whatsoever though. But seeing as there's nothing else really available and the cost is next to nothing ... fuck it, why not.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Melo would be a quality piece for a championship team if he could put his ego aside and play off the bench.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I just couldn't trust Melo to not throw up some awful shots throughout the game thinking he's as good as he used to be.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
    Decent number of people happy about Melo coming here. The hope of course is that he'll gel better with Paul than with Westbrook, which makes sense on paper I suppose. I'm not convinced whatsoever though. But seeing as there's nothing else really available and the cost is next to nothing ... fuck it, why not.
    Houston has taken a major hit this offseason. They've lost a chunk of their defensive identity and they're playing with fire with restricted free agency with CC. Players eventually get ticked off at the situation, even though it is routine. But they're losing part of their defensive personality and that's something they can't afford to lose, especially if Golden State is the main threat. On the surface, there's not much else to lose so getting Melo makes sense but it's certainly not making up for what they've lost.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the cavs traded their whole team except lebron, JR and Love

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I forgot about that one. I just can't see the Lakers trading more assets in the middle of the year for Leonard when they already made their best offer this offseason.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Raptors aren't planning to trade Kawhi mid season but if it is really not working out and they want to punt and start a retooling then they could trade him and get something back. They would definitely get back less than what they gave up for him but they could at least recoup something in the way of prospects and draft picks for a rebuild as BG said (although I doubt it would be a major haul). If his disgruntledness reaches a tipping point then they might have to do it, and it would be a giant failure for them having given up DeRozan.

Now let's say the above scenario happens- Kawhi is pouty baby and their hand is forced - then another team could get Kawhi on the cheap - and let's say the Lakers are doing reasonably well and feel they could in fact contend for a title THIS year if they add Kawhi - then maybe they do that. They would give up less than what they just offered, and they would be dealing with a team (Raptors) who would be fine sending him West as opposed to the Spurs who wanted to send him East. Sure they can wait for free agency to sign him without giving anything up and they will probably do just that - but if he becomes available at a bargain price and they say this gives us a chance to win right away then they should pull the trigger. LeBron will start to age eventually. Strike while the iron is hot.
    Last edited by Fro; July 20th, 2018 at 10:37 AM.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you consider to be a bargain trade for the Lakers? One first round pick? Josh Hart and a second rounder?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Raps taking the East anyways. I’ve fully talked myself into the trade now. We are going to lose him after this year. But this year we will teach new heights.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you consider to be a bargain trade for the Lakers? One first round pick? Josh Hart and a second rounder?
    Yes I would consider those both to be bargains. their first rounder shouldn't be too valuable since they have Lebron and thus it won't be a lottery pick. they could lottery protect it in case lebron happens to get hurt.

this is all hypothetical but if the Raptors decide to move him mid-season, which again is obviously not their intent and would mean the trade and the season went very wrong, I would expect the Lakers to be the #1 most likely destination.

anyway, yea, melo is such an odd case. he will almost certainly end up being a top 12 or maybe even top 10 scorer of all time. do you guys consider him on track to be a hall of famer? I guess maybe he has to be based on his stats but he has become quite the pariah when it comes to team building in these last several years.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those would definitely be bargains. If he's playing and showing he's capable but he just doesn't want to be there, those asking prices are much more reduced than what was likely offered these past few weeks. That's just the price you pay/risk you take when it comes to a trade like Toronto did. But again, can't really blame them for trying and if it comes to a case where its clear he's healthy and he doesn't want to be there, you've got to change your approach and just look to salvage you can.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh we can blame them

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Oh we can blame them
    As someone with no overt interest in Toronto, I can see why they did it.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I'm just hoping it goes as well as it did when the Celtics tossed IT out.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WTF?!?

https://deadspin.com/j-j-redick-says...-ta-1828402568
    NBA Player J.J. Redick Says He Saw Person In ‘Box Or Cage’ In Driver’s Trunk
    Last edited by _me; August 18th, 2018 at 8:40 PM. Reason: link

World Champion
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hahahaha mad story.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Lakers signed Lebron James & got rid of Luol Dengs contract all in one Off season. Magic, Pelinka & the Front office doing work yet again.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Jimmy Butler has requested a trade from the Timberwolves. He gave them a list of three teams he'd be willing to sign an extension with, but it is unknown who they are. Lakers and Celtics are probably on there.

I don't know how much the Wolves can get for him, since everyone knows he wants out.

My dad pinned Mr Backlund Kneeneighbor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    Tell him he can go but he has to take Tibs with him.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneeneighbor View Post
    Tell him he can go but he has to take Tibs with him.
    *You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Kneeneighbor again.*

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Apparently The Nets, Knicks, and Clippers are his three preferred teams.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    If that is the case I would send him on the next plane if I can get a #1 from any of those teams.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'm sure he is trying to pick a spot for Kyrie to join him after the season.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They might be pretty decent together but I don't know if I could pick two players I would want to play with less than Kyrie and Butler. I guess Melo and Westbrook would make the list too.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    Well the instagram war starting last night plus the rumors about Butler and KAT's woman are going to make media day amazing in MN!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KAT gets $190 million at age 22. imagine that

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It's only 190 if he wins MVP/DPOY/All NBA, which he will likely get all nba. Otherwise it is 5/155.

Butler talks are accelerating, and TimberBulls want to deal him by tomorrow.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeSplitter View Post
    Apparently The Nets, Knicks, and Clippers are his three preferred teams.
    clearly doesn’t want to win anytime soon.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Scott View Post
    clearly doesn’t want to win anytime soon.
    Wants to partner with a FA next year. All of those teams can add 2 max deals.

aka Dixon Cox chrisrandolph1985's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    somalia
    No team can turn it around in one season as easily as an NBA team can. Needing only 12 guys can do that.
    At my house, we call them "uh-ohs".

World Champion
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneeneighbor View Post
    Wants to partner with a FA next year. All of those teams can add 2 max deals.
    Nah I know, Knicks will be a good fit I hope he goes there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrandolph1985 View Post
    No team can turn it around in one season as easily as an NBA team can. Needing only 12 guys can do that.
    Well Lakers this season probably the closest that will.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    “I’m a fun guy.” - Kawhi 2018

Also that laugh. Jesus.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The Knicks don't really have much to offer for Butler. The Heat seem to be going hard after him.