Page 1 of 71 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal Discussion Thread

Greetings From The Gallows
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Metal Discussion Thread

Again, not much happening around here, and I know there's some other metalheads around here (Outlaw, SBD,GO,WizoOzz, others), so I thought I'd create a metal discussion thread. Just discuss metal,whatever about it you like. Thrash, speed, classic, heavy, funk, industrial, black, death, progressive, whatever.
    Last edited by Crabby; November 8th, 2003 at 10:48 PM.

mOBSCENE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking about saving up, and in one foul sweep purchasing

gorelord-zombie suicide part 666
    necrophagia- Divine art of torture
    and
    opeth-black water park.
    Last edited by SpiritualBlackDimensions; November 13th, 2002 at 7:37 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to get all the Danzig albums(except 4 anf 5). And I MUST get some In Flames albums.

Back from the Dead.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must get as much Burzum, Berzerker and Immortal as I can...all for Kris....

No Xmas For John Quays Sweet Stan's Avatar
    Leaning on a parking meter sipping on a margarita
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I`ll reccomend And you will know us by the trail of dead while i`m here

ARNIE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking about some Danzig, they were playing it before Jerry Cantrell came on at the gig I was at, any track suggestions............?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outlaw, are you going to see Hatebreed when they come out here? Should be quality live.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -Danzig is
    -Immortal is alright, but kick Abbath and get Hansi Kurcsh. Hansi Kurcsh is
    -I usually listen to more melodic metal, such as Blind Guardian or Nightwish, but the stuff I see other people suggest is fine as well, for the most part.

Also, I'm seeing Blind Guardian LIVE in december!!!!!!

-Kang-
    Have been listening to a lot of Samel lately. Their Ceremony of Opposites album has now become one of my all time faves.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Originally posted by SpiritualBlackDimensions

opeth-black water park.
    Opeth? They are crap. Or is that Otep I'm thinking of ? One of the two are total shite. Oh, and did u check out that Orgazmatracks comp CD?

What In Flames album should I get next ? I have "Clayman".
    Last edited by Ringo; November 4th, 2004 at 6:11 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Originally posted by -Kang-
    Have been listening to a lot of Samel lately.
    Samel ? Dont you mean Samael ? Or is it me who s wrong ? Or was it a type error? There is a Samael track on the Orgazmatracks 3 comp. Its pretty good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by The Ringmaster
    Opeth? They are crap. Or is that Otep I'm thinking of ? One of the two are total shite.
    Would you like to be slapped now or later? Both Opeth and Otep are fucking awesome. Otep for having an awesome female lead singer and Opeth for being the best thing in dark Scandanavian metal right now. Period end of story...

Originally posted by Megawozniak
    Danzig is
    No, I think you meant that Danzig is

Sure Blackacidevil fucking sucked, and Devil's Child weren't much better...but I Luciferi fucking owns.

And How the Gods Kill is one of the greatest albums ever recorded, period, end of story.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didnt think Blackacidevil was that bad.

Maybe because I havent heard all the others to fully compare it, but stil...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by SideburnZ
    I didnt think Blackacidevil was that bad.

Maybe because I havent heard all the others to fully compare it, but stil...

It's not that it's that bad...it's just not necessarily the greatest Danzig album, IMO. But then again, I'm not cool on all the electronic stuff.

4 is more in vein of the earlier albums...but Glenn definitely manages to change his style from one album to the next...the only albums of his that even remotely stay in the same sound is the self-titled one and Lucifuge...but the rest are good...5 is just blech to me is all. Even Cantrell couldn't do much for me on it...

Where's GO! when you need his useless butt?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't listened to Otep for a while, but I share the same sentiments for them as for Danzig.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Megawozniak
    I haven't listened to Otep for a while, but I share the same sentiments for them as for Danzig.
    Blech...what do you expect from a Blind Guardian fan, I guess...

Anywho...Demons & Wizards kicks the hell out of anything Blind Guardian's ever put out...and yeah, I am aware that Hansi is in both...but Blind Guardian is just meh, while Demons & Wizards is actually cool.

None of them can hold a candle to Opeth though.

-Kang-
    Yeah I meant Samael. typo.

Texas Weedeater Massacre Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have been listening to a lot of Samel lately. Their Ceremony of Opposites album has now become one of my all time faves.
    You should check out "Rain." I think it's on their Passage CD. My favorite Samael song ever, even though Ceremony of Opposites is better than Passage as a whole.

Originally posted by s-pac
    I was thinking about some Danzig, they were playing it before Jerry Cantrell came on at the gig I was at, any track suggestions............?
    -Twist of Cain
    -Mother
    -Devil's Plaything
    -Her Black Wings
    -Bodies
    -Dirty Black Summer
    -It's Coming Down
    -Little Whip
    -Going Down to Die
    -Five Finger Crawl
    -and I haven't heard all of 7 yet, but "Black Mass" kicks ass.

Anybody a fan of Children of Bodom? I have Follow the Reaper, but the songs from Something Wild left me blown away. I'm not sure if I should get this or another one of their CDs next.

As far as In Flames goes, I want to get their new CD, but I'm not sure if it's better or worse than Clayman. I heard their new "Cloud Connected" song and it sounds like crap. I might just buy Whoracle instead.

I just downloaded "AEP" by Red Harvest. It's like a techno death metal song or something. It's pretty good.
    Last edited by Nemesis; October 16th, 2002 at 8:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by WizoOzz
    Blech...what do you expect from a Blind Guardian fan, I guess...

Anywho...Demons & Wizards kicks the hell out of anything Blind Guardian's ever put out...and yeah, I am aware that Hansi is in both...but Blind Guardian is just meh, while Demons & Wizards is actually cool.

None of them can hold a candle to Opeth though.
    Damn...I read your first sentence and was looking forward to laughing at you, but you knew Hansi was in both. Bastard.

But yeah, Fiddler on the Green is a really good song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by WizoOzz
    Would you like to be slapped now or later? Both Opeth and Otep are fucking awesome. Otep for having an awesome female lead singer and Opeth for being the best thing in dark Scandanavian metal right now. Period end of story...
    Opeth fucking own, man. I can't wait to hear the new album.

Anyone on these boards a Soilwork fan? "Natural Born Chaos" is a great album, plus their earlier stuff kicks some major arse. So, anyone else like this awesome band?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the new Sabbath live album today (Past Lives - A re-issued version of the Live at Last album with extra tracks)

I have to say it`s worth getting just for the version of Symptom of the Universe on it.It`s played about twice the speed of the album version & i couldn`t play it loud enough.

The heaviest thing i`ve heard in years

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Sweet Stan
    I got the new Sabbath live album today (Past Lives - A re-issued version of the Live at Last album with extra tracks)

I have to say it`s worth getting just for the version of Symptom of the Universe on it.It`s played about twice the speed of the album version & i couldn`t play it loud enough.

The heaviest thing i`ve heard in years
    Not to mention the version of "Megalomania" on it is awesome (well, apart from Ozzy's inability to hit the notes right...but still, the song is one of the best songs in their catalogue).

Oh, and on the Live at Last disc, definitely check out "Wicked World"...definitely the heaviest shit I've ever heard out of Sabbath.

Originally posted by Megakwozniak
    Damn...I read your first sentence and was looking forward to laughing at you, but you knew Hansi was in both. Bastard.
    Well, I wouldn't be the mod of this here forum if I didn't know who I was talking about

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Crabby

Anyone on these boards a Soilwork fan? "Natural Born Chaos" is a great album, plus their earlier stuff kicks some major arse. So, anyone else like this awesome band?
    *raises hand*

Natural Born Chaos is pretty good. I think I like A Predator's Portrait better, though. One of these days I'll have to buy Chainheart Machine, too. It seems like every Swedish band's best work is their earlier stuff, but I guess the same can be said for bands everywhere.

As far as Soilwork goes, it doesn't get any better than "Follow the Hollow" or "Shadowchild."

-Kang-
    Originally posted by Nemesis
    You should check out "Rain." I think it's on their Passage CD. My favorite Samael song ever, even though Ceremony of Opposites is better than Passage as a whole.
    I've been meaning to pick up Passage but haven't got around to it.

Anyone listen to old school thrash? I've been getting back into it lately. Been listening to heaps of Exodus, Testament, Vio-lence, Sodom, Kreator etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *raises hand*

Natural Born Chaos is pretty good. I think I like A Predator's Portrait better, though. One of these days I'll have to buy Chainheart Machine, too. It seems like every Swedish band's best work is their earlier stuff, but I guess the same can be said for bands everywhere.

As far as Soilwork goes, it doesn't get any better than "Follow the Hollow" or "Shadowchild."
    I like all their stuff I'd rate APP at about the same level as NBC, but then again it's all about personal opinion. CM is a ripping album as well, I recommend it.

Does anyone here like Will Haven as well? I saw them live a while back and they were fucking awesome, brutal to see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been meaning to pick up Passage but haven't got around to it.

Anyone listen to old school thrash? I've been getting back into it lately. Been listening to heaps of Exodus, Testament, Vio-lence, Sodom, Kreator etc.
    Exodus are pretty cool, and what I've heard of Testament was okay. Voivod fucking owns, they're well worth checking out.

I'm not a huge fan of Vio-lence, I think that Robb Flynn's vocals in particular sound far better on the first two Machine Head albums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been listening to a great deal of thrash lately. Testament's First Strike Still Deadly CD is pretty badass, putting a new sound to their old stuff. Chuck Billy's voice is so damn versatile that it sounds like about 3 different singers are on that CD. I've been listening to a lot of The Haunted, too. Excellent band. I wouldn't say they're as good as when they used to be At the Gates, but they're still up there. The Haunted Made Me Do It reminds me a lot of Slayer.

Which Exodus songs should I listen to? I've heard Toxic Waltz, Thorn In My Side, and Fabulous Disaster, all of which I like a lot. Which songs are generally considered their best?

Bay Area Thrash Metal=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been listening to a great deal of thrash lately. Testament's First Strike Still Deadly CD is pretty badass, putting a new sound to their old stuff. Chuck Billy's voice is so damn versatile that it sounds like about 3 different singers are on that CD. I've been listening to a lot of The Haunted, too. Excellent band. I wouldn't say they're as good as when they used to be At the Gates, but they're still up there. The Haunted Made Me Do It reminds me a lot of Slayer.

Which Exodus songs should I listen to? I've heard Toxic Waltz, Thorn In My Side, and Fabulous Disaster, all of which I like a lot. Which songs are generally considered their best?

Bay Area Thrash Metal=

Hmmmm, pretty much anything from "Bonded By Blood" is pretty cool, though I've only heard two full albums of theirs.

Machine Head's first two albums are fucking ripping, though it's nothing new to say that. Anyone other MH fans around here? "Burn My Eyes" is a bonafide classic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Voivod fucking owns, they're well worth checking out.

Their cover of Pink Floyd`s Astronomy Domine rules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their cover of Pink Floyd`s Astronomy Domine rules
    Hmmmm, I haven't heard it. I'll have to check it out.

I know that you're a Slayer fan like myself, what do you think is their best album (besides Reign In Blood obviously)? I'd probably say Hell Awaits, it's almost the equal of RIB, IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i`ve not heard any of their 90s stuff as I kind of lost interest in metal around 92/93. Personally i`ve always liked Seasons in the Abyss the most after R.I.B. I do like the first 2 albums too they have this kind of naive charm to them.I`ve never really liked South of Heaven much.Aside from the Judas Priest cover i`ve always felt it was a bit samey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eh, their 90's stuff was nothing special, much of it pales in comparison to their first four or five albums.

I have liked Judas Priest for quite a while as well, but never bought any of their albums until the other day when I picked up the absolute classic metal album that is "British Steel" at half-price. Quality stuff indeed, I highly recommend it.
    Last edited by Crabby; October 18th, 2002 at 10:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn stupid double post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as Judas Priest go i`d recommend Killing Machine/Hell Bent for Leather (The title changes from country to country)thats my personal favorite.

Screaming for Vengence & Sad Wings of Destiny & Unleashed in the East are essential too.

If you like them get the rest in this order... Stained Class , Point of Entry (Very misunderstood album ), Defenders of the faith , Painkiller, Sin After Sin , Turbo, Priest Live , Ram it Down.

And if your REALLY a fan get their first album Rocka Rolla

Don`t even bother with the Tim 'Ripper' Owens stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as Judas Priest go i`d recommend Killing Machine/Hell Bent for Leather (The title changes from country to country)thats my personal favorite.

Screaming for Vengence & Sad Wings of Destiny & Unleashed in the East are essential too.

If you like them get the rest in this order... Stained Class , Point of Entry (Very misunderstood album ), Defenders of the faith , Painkiller, Sin After Sin , Turbo, Priest Live , Ram it Down.

And if your REALLY a fan get their first album Rocka Rolla

Don`t even bother with the Tim 'Ripper' Owens stuff

I've liked them for a while, just never bought any of their albums until recently. I've heard SFV before, I liked it, and Priest Live, that was pretty cool, amongst others. You can't beat some clasic metal, people.

I can't say I've heard much of their stuff with Ripper Owens, although he was partially the inspiration for Rock Star, which wasn't a bad film. As far as British metal goes, I'm more into the mighty Iron Maiden, but JP are awesome as well.
    Last edited by Crabby; October 18th, 2002 at 10:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I`d get some UFO too.
    I`ve always thought they`re the most underated British rock band of the 70s

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm, I might do that. Are you a fan of Helmet at all? I've always thought they were one of the more underrated hard rock bands of recent times. "Meantime" is a classic, IMO, and "Betty" is better than most people give it credit for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have Meantime & Betty & i had Strap It On on a tape somewhere & they`re ok. Although personally I always thought Girls vs Boys did that sort of thing a bit better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, "Strap It On" was pretty cool, but "Aftertaste" was a little too hook-heavy for me, it lacked the go-ahead power that made their first few albums so damn good.

Are you much of a thrash metal fan? Bands like Anthrax, Megadeth, Metallica, Exodus, early Machine Head, etc.
    Last edited by Crabby; October 18th, 2002 at 11:01 PM.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Metal Discussion Thread

BTW,Outlaw, I picked up another Frankenbok CD last week, and it kicks major arse. I really should get myself to Metal For The Brain this year.
    No MFTB this year. They couldnt get public liability insurance.

You really need to pay attention. They're trying to get it going for early next year. (april)

Yeah I havent really beem around much so I'll drop some words down here.

Recently I've been listening to a bit of Motley Crue, Inflame's Colony cd (that fuckin owns), and alot of other shit.

And yes Bay area thrash =

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really? Damn, I missed most of 3 Hours Of Power the last couple of weeks, I had no idea. Couldn't get public liability insurance? Hmmmm, interesting to say the least, I guess.

Are you going to see Hatebreed on their upcoming tour? I think I'll have to get myself there.

And are you a fan of The Mark Of Cain at all? They fucking rock live as well, a really under-rated Australian band. What other Aussie acts do you like? I like bands like Frankenbok, Segression, Truth Corroded, Black Steel, Blood Duster and others. Aussie metal is better than a lot of people give it credit for, IMO.
    Last edited by Crabby; October 23rd, 2002 at 7:44 PM.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I the next few months.

I shall be seeing.

November 13th - 'Destruction' and 'Dungeon'
    December 8th - 'Soulfly' and 'Hatebreed'

So yes I guess I will be seeing Hatebreed. Not through choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't like Hatebreed? They're a pretty cool metalcore act. Their last two albums were pretty damn good.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The initial story was that Inflames and Ill Nino were going to tour with Soulfly.

And In Flames kick the shit out of Hatebreed.

So I guess I'm still kinda pissed off at what could have been.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do like In Flames, but it will be cool to see Hatebreed. I'm not that disappointed Ill Nino won't be coming out this way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that it is pretty difficult to track down around here.

Are you much of an Iron Maiden fan, or do you have just a passing interest, so to speak?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Judas Priest`s whole back catalogue got remastered at the end of last year/beginning of this year and isn`t too difficult to get hold of.

As for Iron Maiden i was a HUGE fan between 82-87 to the point of collecting every 12 " & every picture disc ect ect.

For their 10th anniversary in 86 the Rock Show on Radio 1 played their Soundhouse Tapes demo in full ..... 16 years later I still have the same tape i recorded it on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite the Maiden fan then. I personally reckon that Paul D'Ianno was a decent singer, better than many give him credit for. Bruce Dickinson is the man, though.

All the discs they released during that time? That'd be quite a lot. How old are you anyway? I mean, Maiden have been around for a long, long time by now. No doubt you've seen them live a few times by now. Have you seen/heard the Rock In Rio CD/DVD? Pretty damn good,what a fucking massive crowd as well.
    Last edited by Crabby; October 20th, 2002 at 6:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I`ve always thought Dianno was right for the time but i don`t think they would have been the band they were if he had stayed.But some of the stuff he did is still my favorite stuff.
    At that time it wasn`t too difficult to collect everything.They only released 1 album & 2 singles a year then so your only looking at about £13 - £15 a year to buy everything.
    I kind of lost interest in them around the 7th son era.Partly because i felt they`d lost their edge & partly through starting to like other bands.I bought the next few albums they made but didn`t like them as much as the earlier ones & when Bruce left I didn`t bother with them at all. I`ve never seen them live.To see bands live costs me about £300 a time in travel & accomodation to get from where I live.I`m curious about the rock in rio CD but not got round to buying it yet.

Oh yeah i`m 29

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're more hard rock than metal, but is anyone else really, really eagerly anticipating the release of the Audioslave album? According to Tom Morello, the tracks on the album also vary a lot from the demo versions that were leaked on to the 'Net a while back (and even those were pretty damn good). I hear that the album's out in November, but is anyone else looking forward to it in a pretty major way?The band have also just shot video for their first single as well., and I'm hoping they follow it all up with a massive world tour also.

Did Robert Trujillo (Ozzy/Suicidal Tendencies) and Mike Bordin (Faith No More/ Ozzy) play live with Jerry? 'Cause I hear he recruited other musicians for most of his live shows.
    Last edited by Crabby; October 23rd, 2002 at 7:36 PM.

ThE eViL oNe......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anybody here like Stone Sour or Murderdolls?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, not into Slipknot either. But that's cool, it's all about personal opinion anyway. Stone Sour sound a bit too generic for me on many occassions really.

ARNIE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't say I'm keen on either band.

Joey Jordison Good drummer though.

ARNIE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bay Area Thrash Metal=
    Bonded By Blood, A Lesson In Violence.

Anything from the Bonded by Blood album.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Stone Sour's song. Corey Taylor has a good voice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't say I'm keen on either band.

Joey Jordison Good drummer though.
    Eh, IMo he's a decent speed drummer, but that's about it. I don't think a whole lot of Corey Taylor's voice either. But then again, that's just my opinion anyway.

BTW, Outlaw do you know who the support act is for Soulfly/Hatebreed?
    Last edited by Crabby; October 25th, 2002 at 6:24 AM.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought this was a metal discussion thread

Now onto more pressing matters, Symphony X's new cd comes out within a month, Anthrax's album is delayed until they fix their management issues, Nevermore are back in the studio halfway through writing their new album.

And of course... (you'd expect me to be building to something wouldnt you?)

(wrong)
    Inflames released their new album Reroute to Remain a few months back, and I want it.

Plus someone tell me Pantera's 10's and Floods from Trendkill don't kick ass.
    Last edited by Aussie_Outlaw; October 25th, 2002 at 6:28 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been waiting for the new Anthrax album for ages, hopefully it'll be as good if not better than Volume 8.

From what I hear, the new Opeth album is damn good as well should be well worth checking out.

Pantera just kick arse in general. And they are fucking awesome live, I really must say.

BTW, Outlaw, what did you think of Andrew Haug's guest hosting of Rage a while back? I found it again on tape the other day, best episode ever, though I could've done without the hair and glam metal bands, thankfully their wasn't too many of them.
    Last edited by Crabby; October 25th, 2002 at 6:37 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Ok, I got some questions and other stuff.

1. Which In Flames album should I buy next ? I have clayman, but I'm not sure which one to get next.

2. Which Pantera Album does everybody recommend ?

3. I have Back in Black and Let there be Rock, which AC/DC album next ?

4. Has anyone heard of "Old Mans Child" ? They're ace.

5. You were talking about Stone Sour etc. , I like Stone Sour and Murderdolls, but Im not as much a fan of Slipknot. Stone Sour's "Bother" and "Orchids" are both ace.

6. What are SpineShank like ? I still have not heard any of their material.

7. Same with Amen, What are they like ?

8. Are there any "Best Of's" of bands like Emperor , At The Gates, Mayhem etc. ? you know the Black Metal Titans.

9. Metallica fans, Do any of you agree with me that the vocals are mostly shit but the music is the best metal music around. Its the opposite with FNM, Mike Patton's vocals make the band good, not the music as much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're class. I was just listening to them as I read your post, strangely.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Oh, and to Crabby, No, I have been really busy lately, have not really had a chance to track down "The Mark of Cain", Ive looked in CD WAREHOUSE, HMV, VIRGIN, V-SHOP, MVC, all the biggest CD shops here but have not been able to find any of their material.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Originally posted by the_immortal_hulk_hogan
    They're class. I was just listening to them as I read your post, strangely.
    They might be class but what are they like ? Someone said they were like Coal Chamber, is this true ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Which In Flames album should I buy next ? I have clayman, but I'm not sure which one to get next.

5. You were talking about Stone Sour etc. , I like Stone Sour and Murderdolls, but Im not as much a fan of Slipknot. Stone Sour's "Bother" and "Orchids" are both ace.

7. Same with Amen, What are they like ?

8. Are there any "Best Of's" of bands like Emperor , At The Gates, Mayhem etc. ? you know the Black Metal Titans.

9. Metallica fans, Do any of you agree with me that the vocals are mostly shit but the music is the best metal music around. Its the opposite with FNM, Mike Patton's vocals make the band good, not the music as much.

1. Hmmmm, they're pretty cool, but I reckon Outlaw would be the one to ask. I hear the new album kicks arse.

2." Vulgar Display Of Power" is their best by far. "Far Beyond Driven" is the one to get if you like VDOP. TGST is good, not their best, though it's more extreme metal influenced. RTS is also good, nothing exceptional, though. "Cowboys From Hell" is a little patchy but the title track is a killer.

3. Hmmmm, there's a bunch of quality ones, I'd go with "Highway To Hell" next (it's Bon at his very best, IMO), though "Powerage", "If You Want Blood.... " (live album) and "The Razor's Edge" are worth getting if you really get into them. Albums like "High Voltage" and "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" are good, if a little patchy,and most of the others are good or great."Live" is also a good listen, as is "For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)". AC/DC just kick a whole lot of arse in general, and they are mind-blowingly good live as well.

4. Nah, can't say I have. What do they sound like and whereabouts are they from anyway?

5. Nah, I'm not a fan of either band, or Slipknot for that matter. Their music just grates on me in a major way.

6. Nu metal, with a large industrial and slight hardcore influence.

7. Hardcore/Punk/Hard Rock act, pretty good. Saw them live a while back, they rocked pretty damn hard.

8. Not much of a black metal fan, your best bet would be to go ask Game Over! or Spiritual Black Dimensions.

9. Eh, I like FNM's music a lot, sure Patton is great, but the four musicians really gelled well together. Jim Martin was a top, pretty versatile guitarist, they're use of keyboards was well-placed and really added to the song structures, and their punky rhythm section was right on the money.
    Last edited by Crabby; October 25th, 2002 at 7:27 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If You Want Blood..... No question about it.

Possibly the finest live album EVER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They might be class but what are they like ? Someone said they were like Coal Chamber, is this true ?
    I don't see much of a connection between the two bands. Coal Chamber's last two albums were very, very poor. Spineshank are okay, they have some quality songs, but they don't quite connect properly with me really anyway.

If You Want Blood..... No question about it.

Possibly the finest live album EVER
    I'd have to agree with that, that album is really air-guitar-inducing. The near 15-minute version of "Jailbreak" on the "Live" album is also really awesome.

Strangely enough, though, there are no tracks from "Powerage" on the album, which was the record they were touring for at the time.
    Last edited by Crabby; November 1st, 2002 at 3:25 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil

9. Eh, I like FNM's music a lot, sure Patton is great, but the four musicians really gelled well together. Jim Martin was a top, pretty versatile guitarist, they're use of keyboards was well done, and their punky rhythm section was right on the money.

Yeah, well what I meant was that "RV", for example has really bad music, but the "I hate you, Talking to Myself" chorus makes the song great...All due to Patton's vocals.

Crabby, Which FNM album do you think Patton is best on, I would say Angel Dust just over Album of the Year.

What band would you say are most similar to Amen ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, well what I meant was that "RV", for example has really bad music, but the "I hate you, Talking to Myself" chorus makes the song great...All due to Patton's vocals.

Crabby, Which FNM album do you think Patton is best on, I would say Angel Dust just over Album of the Year.

What band would you say are most similar to Amen ?
    Yep, the "RV" music isn't great, but it is appropriate, it does really add to the morbid yet interesting vibe of the track. But I do love that song, and I'm sure everyone can relate to it. We've all been that pathetic lowlife at small stages of our lives (maybe not to such an extent, though). The chorus really nails it, yep,that song is so catchy that it's almost wrong.

He's probably at his most versatile on "Angel Dust", though I like him best on "The Real Thing", he sounds a little more emotionally-charged and inspired (some people I know find his voice really grating compared to their other songs, though, but then again that's usually from non-FNM fans). Sometimes it depends on my mood. I like him on "King For A Day...." as well, his harsher, much more metal-influenced and idiosyncratic vocal style really suits most of the the tracks on that album, but he doesn't showcase his full talents nearly as much on the whole. I like his work on "Album Of The Year" as well, it's pretty eclectic, though not quite up there with TRT or AD, but then again, the songwriting isn't quite as good.

Hmmmm, I don't really know who to compare them to distinctly, actually. You might want to download tracks like "The Price Of Reality" or "Refuse Amen" in order to gain a better indication of whether or not you'd like Casey and co. So there you go, man.
    Last edited by Crabby; October 25th, 2002 at 7:46 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Is anyone going to this "Monsters of Rock" concert, they have Thunder, Alice Cooper , The Quireboys (Ginger from Wildhearts old band, I think) ? Anyone else know who else is gonna be performing ? I'm not going I just want to see if ne1 else is going.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know Sweet Stan would get there if he could, what with Alice Cooper playing there and all.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Yep, the "RV" music isn't great, but it is appropriate, it does really add to the morbid yet interesting vibe of the track. But I do love that song, and I'm sure everyone can relate to it. We've all been that pathetic lowlife at small stages of our lives (maybe not to such an extent, though). The chorus really nails it, yep,that song is so catchy that it's almost wrong.

He's probably at his most versatile on "Angel Dust", though I like him best on "The Real Thing", he sounds a little more emotionally-charged and inspired (some people I know find his voice really grating compared to their other songs, though, but then again that's usually from non-FNM fans). Sometimes it depends on my mood. I like him on "King For A Day...." as well, his harsher vocal style really suits the tracks on that album, but he doesn't showcase his full talents nearly as much on the whole. I like his work on "Album Of The Year" as well, it's pretty eclectic, though not quite up there with TRT or AD, but then again, the songwriting isn't quite as good.

Hmmmm, I don't really know who to compare them to distinctly, actually. You might want to download tracks like "The Price Of Reality" or "Refuse Amen" in order to gain a better indication of whether or not you'd like Casey and co. So there you go, man.

Ill take your advice about Amen. Your right, All albums he is different on. Heavier on KFAD, Versatile on Angel dust, etc. etc. Do u have "Introduce Yorself", it might not have Patton but is it good ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah but it would mean having to sit through Thunder.

And yes Ginger did used to be in the Quireboys.They threw him out for because he wanted their material heavier. He joined a New York band called the Throbs(Who were kind of Motley Crue meets the Strokes) for 4 weeks before forming the Wildhearts (Who have just reformed)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ill take your advice about Amen. Your right, All albums he is different on. Heavier on KFAD, Versatile on Angel dust, etc. etc. Do u have "Introduce Yorself", it might not have Patton but is it good ?
    Yep, I've got all Faith No More' albums. Hmmmm, "Introduce Yourself" is quite good, but nothing special, and nah, Mike Patton wasn't in the band then. Chuck Mosely is an average vocalist, though not very versatile really. I'd get "Introduce Yourself" over their first album "We Care A Lot", IY has the original (and better )version of "We Care A Lot" , probably the best song Mosely recorded with the band, I don't know if you've heard much of their earlier stuff, but you might want to try before you buy, so to speak. Their stuff with Mosely is different, they hadn't quite honed their sound yet, and I think really just needed a better vocalist to help bring out the very best in their material (and songwriting for that matter). Their first two albums are also relatively inexpensive to buy as well, and they both have some songs that are well worth a listen, but like I said, you might want to give them a listen first, not all FNM fans I know like them that much.
    Last edited by Crabby; October 29th, 2002 at 3:14 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MC5 fucking rock hard. I'm gathering you're a fan, Sweet Stan?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn right I am.

I remember when I first bought Kick out the Jams about 12 years ago. I remember listening to it in awe. I didn`t think they made music that heavy in 1968 & I have been a fan ever since.

As far as Chuck Moslely goes i`ve always thought he gets a bit of a raw deal by FNM fans.
    Granted he wasn`t really a good singer but as a front man he was bloody good & a lot of their early success was down to his energy & charisma on stage. Quite a number of people wondered how they could carry on when he left the band but luckily for them they managed to find someone even better than he was.

I`ve always thought that the Moseley/Patton thing in FNM draws parallels with the Dianno/Dickinson thing in Iron Maiden. People are quick to dissmiss the earlier singers in both bands because of their limited singing ability without realising that a lot of the bands earlier success was down partly because of these 2 frontmen.
    Last edited by Sweet Stan; October 25th, 2002 at 8:24 AM.

ARNIE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which Pantera Album does everybody recommend ?

Vulgar Display Of Power.

Metallica fans, Do any of you agree with me that the vocals are mostly shit but the music is the best metal music around.

I like Hetfield, I don't think anyother vocals would suit MetallicA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get The Jester Race. It's some of their best material. Lunar Strain, their first one, is pretty good too, and it's before they got their current vocalist.

Vulgar Display of Power. But you really can't go wrong with any of them, since they all sound different and are all good (well, at least Cowboys From Hell and beyond...)

Not yet, but I've heard good things.

I think of them as Orgy, except heavier and with a guy that yells. They're decent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Hetfield, I don't think anyother vocals would suit MetallicA.
    They actually auditioned John Bush from Armoured Saint during the recording of Master of Puppets but Hetfeild decided to get singing lessons instead.Bush later joined Anthrax instead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn right I am.

I remember when I first bought Kick out the Jams about 12 years ago. I remember listening to it in awe. I didn`t think they made music that heavy in 1968 & I have been a fan ever since.

As far as Chuck Moslely goes i`ve always thought he gets a bit of a raw deal by FNM fans.
    Granted he wasn`t really a good singer but as a front man he was bloody good & a lot of their early success was down to his energy & charisma on stage. Quite a number of people wondered how they could carry on when he left the band but luckily for them they managed to find someone even better than he was.

I`ve always thought that the Moseley/Patton thing in FNM draws parallels with the Dianno/Dickinson thing in Iron Maiden. People are quick to dissmiss the earlier singers in both bands because of their limited singing ability without realising that a lot of the bands earlier success was down partly because of these 2 frontmen.
    Eh, I've always thought Chuck Mosely was okay, despite his limitations, he had a unique type of energy and enthusiasm that few could bring to a band like Faith No More. And I agree, the band built up a large fan base (particularly in Europe) while he was in the band, so his tenure in the band is often underestimated, like you said. Did you see them live during the Mosely era, or the Patton one for that matter?

Like I said before, I thought Paul DIanno was better than people gave him credit for at least.

Are you a fan of either Anthrax or Motorhead? MH's "Ace Of Spades" is a killer album (they have other quality stuff as well), and Anthrax's "Spreading The Disease" rocks very, very hard.
    Last edited by Crabby; October 25th, 2002 at 9:18 PM.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, Outlaw, what did you think of Andrew Haug's guest hosting of Rage a while back? I found it again on tape the other day, best episode ever, though I could've done without the hair and glam metal bands, thankfully their wasn't too many of them.
    Yeah I also have Andy Haug's rage on tape, and I have 'Airheads' taped immediately after it.

What's wrong with the glam metal bands? Motley Crue, Ratt etc. Seriously I see nothing wrong with it, if you take it seriously you wont like em, but they're just there for fun.

Now with Ringmaster's questions

1. I'm not the Inflames expert, I'm the Megadeth expert, so I'd have to agree with Nemesis with Jester Race, I have two tracks off it, but I own all of Colony which is damn fine. The guys at MaidenDowunder seem to think Whoracle is up there with Jester Race if not better.

2. The recommended Pantera album would be Vulgar, I don't know why but it seems to be just that special one, even though they're all good.

7. I don't listen to Amen so I'll ask my brother, he does and he gives the description Hard Punk Metal. He reccomends 'Ungrateful Dead' and 'Refuse Amen' from 'We've Come For Your Parents' and 'The Last Time' from their self-titled release.

9. With the music being the best around, well all Metallica did was basically use a fair bit of thrash with some progressive elements (I'm talking about back in the day), Maiden did the same thing with Heavy Metal, after a few album they threw in a fair bit of prog (as well as a concept album). As for Metallica's vocals, there are better vocalists around. Geoff Tat comes to mind

Crabby did you pull off that Anthrax song back on September 11? The 'tribute' track for the people lost in the 9/11 attacks? You should it's pretty indicative of what they new anthrax album is, the band says.

You can find the track off:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/refuse2bdenied/
    thats where I pulled it off a few months ago, just sign your yahoo account in (everyone has one of those don't they?) and download it.

And how could I forget Opeth? I post on their forum for damn sake.

Anthrax's Persistance Of Time and Among The Living kick the shit out of their earlier release Spreading the Disease IMO, and I own all Anthrax albums.

Motorhead's Hammersmith live album which was released just after Ace of Spades is brilliant.

Top 5 Metal Albums in your collection?
    1. Megadeth - Rust In Peace
    2. Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
    3. Symphony X - V: The New Mythology Suite
    4. Nevermore - Dead Heart In A Dead World
    5. Megadeth - So Far, So Good So What!

I guess others which missed out are, In Flames - Colony, Edguy - Mandrake, Dream Theater - Awake, Metallica - Kill 'Em All, Pantera - Great Southern Trendkill, Slayer - Seasons In The Abyss, Stuck Mojo - Declaration Of A Headhunter.

Ok So I guess that's a top 5 and another 7 In No Particular Order.

Just do a top whatever as you wish.
    Last edited by Aussie_Outlaw; October 26th, 2002 at 1:51 AM.

This is an english fucking flag and these colors do not fucking run!!! Death before dishonour, my friends!!!" - Bruce Dickinson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pantera's "Cowboys from Hell" does it for me. I remember seeing Pantera live at Ozzfest a few years back and absoiutly creamed my pants when they did Maiden's "Number of the Beast"

ARNIE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They actually auditioned John Bush from Armoured Saint during the recording of Master of Puppets but Hetfeild decided to get singing lessons instead.Bush later joined Anthrax instead
    Cool, never knew that.

I think they made a good choice sticking with James though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Aussie_Outlaw
    Yeah I also have Andy Haug's rage on tape, and I have 'Airheads' taped immediately after it.

What's wrong with the glam metal bands? Motley Crue, Ratt etc. Seriously I see nothing wrong with it, if you take it seriously you wont like em, but they're just there for fun.

Now with Ringmaster's questions

1. I'm not the Inflames expert, I'm the Megadeth expert, so I'd have to agree with Nemesis with Jester Race, I have two tracks off it, but I own all of Colony which is damn fine. The guys at MaidenDowunder seem to think Whoracle is up there with Jester Race if not better.

2. The recommended Pantera album would be Vulgar, I don't know why but it seems to be just that special one, even though they're all good.

7. I don't listen to Amen so I'll ask my brother, he does and he gives the description Hard Punk Metal. He reccomends 'Ungrateful Dead' and 'Refuse Amen' from 'We've Come For Your Parents' and 'The Last Time' from their self-titled release.

9. With the music being the best around, well all Metallica did was basically use a fair bit of thrash with some progressive elements (I'm talking about back in the day), Maiden did the same thing with Heavy Metal, after a few album they threw in a fair bit of prog (as well as a concept album). As for Metallica's vocals, there are better vocalists around. Geoff Tat comes to mind

Crabby did you pull off that Anthrax song back on September 11? The 'tribute' track for the people lost in the 9/11 attacks? You should it's pretty indicative of what they new anthrax album is, the band says.

You can find the track off:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/refuse2bdenied/
    thats where I pulled it off a few months ago, just sign your yahoo account in (everyone has one of those don't they?) and download it.

And how could I forget Opeth? I post on their forum for damn sake.

Anthrax's Persistance Of Time and Among The Living kick the shit out of their earlier release Spreading the Disease IMO, and I own all Anthrax albums.

Motorhead's Hammersmith live album which was released just after Ace of Spades is brilliant.

Top 5 Metal Albums in your collection?
    1. Megadeth - Rust In Peace
    2. Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
    3. Symphony X - V: The New Mythology Suite
    4. Nevermore - Dead Heart In A Dead World
    5. Megadeth - So Far, So Good So What!

I guess others which missed out are, In Flames - Colony, Edguy - Mandrake, Dream Theater - Awake, Metallica - Kill 'Em All, Pantera - Great Southern Trendkill, Slayer - Seasons In The Abyss, Stuck Mojo - Declaration Of A Headhunter.

Ok So I guess that's a top 5 and another 7 In No Particular Order.

Ha, "Airheads" is a cool movie. Haug's hosting of Rage was great, though, it was good to see some Refused, Prong, Tool and the like. Hair/glam metal is good for a laugh but I guess it's a little difficult for me to take even remotely seriously as regular music to listen to, I don't enjoy most of it, but it's entertaining enough if you're in the right mood. Ever seen "This Is Spinal Tap" ? Spoofs the whole rock 'n' roll/hair/heavy metal image brilliantly, and has some very amusing quotes. Anyone else a fan of this film? "I mean, they can't dust for vomit, can they?", "No, our popularity hasn't diminished, our audience has just become more selective".

I think "Vulgar Display Of Power" is considered the best 'cause it is the most consistent, with the most killer tracks, though I agree, they all kick major arse.

Cool, I hadn't heard that Anthrax track, I'll check it out, cheers for the link anyway. If it's anywhere near as good as "Volume 8...." it'll be a quality album. I own "Among The Living" a lot as well, I like it a lot. I also own the "Return Of The Killer A's" compilation, but I've been meaning to pick up "Persistance Of Time" and "Attack Of The Killer A's" for a while now.

I've seen Amen twice, they're pretty good, and Casey Chaos is pretty intense on stage. Their "We Have Come For Your Parents" album is pretty good, well worth checking out. I also recommend you give Refused's "The Shape Of Punk To Come" if you haven't already, they were a kick arse hardcore punk band. That album rocks very, very hard.

I quite like Opeth, I've heard a few songs from the new album, they were hard to find at first, but they sound awesome. They're a band who I've been meaning to buy more of their material, I like them a lot.

I don't have that live Motorhead album, but I have "Ace Of Spades" and the best of compilation, and they're pretty damn good. I also highly recommend Ozzy Osbourne's "Blizzard Of Ozz" and Black Sabbath albums such as "Paranoid", "Master Of Reality" and "Volume 4".

Hmmmm, top five albums in my collection? I'd have to say (not really in any order)-

1. Iron Maiden- The Number Of The Beast.
    2. Slayer- Reign In Blood.
    3. Megadeth- Peace Sells.... But Who's Buying?
    4. The Mark Of Cain- "This Is This...." (it is fucking awesome, check it out if you don't own it already).
    5. Judas Priest- British Steel.

Honourable mentions go to albums including- Machine Head- "Burn My Eyes", Iron Maiden- "Powerslave", Helmet- "Meantime", Anthrax- "Among The Living" and "Spreading The Disease", Dream Theater- "Metropolis Part 2 Scenes From A Memory", Black Sabbath's "Paranoid", Pantera's "VDOP" and "Far Beyond Driven" and Sepultura's "Arise", plus a bunch of others I could name that I really, really like.

I think Metallica's vocals are decent, they sound best on "Ride The Lightning", I must say.
    Last edited by Crabby; October 27th, 2002 at 5:13 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you a fan of either Anthrax or Motorhead? MH's "Ace Of Spades" is a killer album (they have other quality stuff as well), and Anthrax's "Spreading The Disease" rocks very, very hard.
    I used to be a huge fan of both bands years ago.
    Ace of Spades is ok but it`s not a patch on the Overkill album.People tend to single out the Ace of Spades album because it has that song on it but personally I think it`s a pretty patchy album.Overkill is just quality all the way through & that album has more songs on No Sleep Till Hammersmith than any other. Orgasmatron is also a bloody good album , easily the best Motorhead album in the 80s & Rock n Roll is also a vastly underated album.The best Motorhead compilation is probably No Remorse as it features all the best stuff from 1977-84 and songs like Killed by death which you can only get on that album.

i`m not a huge Anthrax fan now but i still love Spreading the Disease,Among the Living & Persistence of time. Attack of the killer B`s is pretty good too

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, never knew that.

I think they made a good choice sticking with James though.
    They being James and Lars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to be a huge fan of both bands years ago.
    Ace of Spades is ok but it`s not a patch on the Overkill album.People tend to single out the Ace of Spades album because it has that song on it but personally I think it`s a pretty patchy album.Overkill is just quality all the way through & that album has more songs on No Sleep Till Hammersmith than any other. Orgasmatron is also a bloody good album , easily the best Motorhead album in the 80s & Rock n Roll is also a vastly underated album.The best Motorhead compilation is probably No Remorse as it features all the best stuff from 1977-84 and songs like Killed by death which you can only get on that album.

i`m not a huge Anthrax fan now but i still love Spreading the Disease,Among the Living & Persistence of time. Attack of the killer B`s is pretty good too
    I have the "Ace Of Spades" album, but not "Overkill", I'll have to check it out. What I've heard of "Orgasmotron" was killer.

Yep, I'm a huge Anthrax fan, a number of their albums kick arse. Would I be right in assuming that you've seemingly outgrown most of the metal you used to listen to?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, I'm a huge Anthrax fan, a number of their albums kick arse. Would I be right in assuming that you've seemingly outgrown most of the metal you used to listen to?
    I wouldn`t say i`ve outgrown it.I`ve been listening to metal since i was about 8 years old (Nearly 21 years)It`s just my tastes have diversified over the years,what I like as a 12 year old isn`t the same as what I like as a 29 year old. Around 89/90 I started getting a little bored of it & with bands like Stone Roses, Mondays,Blur,Pulp & Suede coming along after a while I just lost touch.I still carried on listening to some metal bands (Ministry , Kyuss,Wildhearts,Therepy? & NIN to name a few)and there is still the odd metal band that grabs my attention from time to time (Trail of Dead,QOTSA & ATDI over the past couple of years.Plus I still play all my old stuff.I`ve never really JUST listened to metal.I grew up on Punk , Two Tone, New Wave & Synth pop too
    Last edited by Sweet Stan; October 28th, 2002 at 5:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I started listening to mostly hip-hop at about age ten, but just grew out of it completely a couple of years later and rarely listen to much of the genre since. I know you listen to a diverse range of styles (hell, I do as well), I was just interested as you've said before that you've grown out of bands like Danzig and Type O Negative, I htought you might have distanced yourself fromall metal over the last ten years or so.

Didn't know you're a Nine Inch Nails fan, though, I really dig their stuff. and they're great live. When I saw them, during the instrumental break of "Closer", Trent went up to the back of the stage and beat the hell out of his synthesiser, he really seemed to be getting into it. Even at an outdoor festival they were a pretty intense band to watch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would just like to say that there should be a law against talentless, narrow-minded and quite frankly irritating "girl groups" such as Daphne and Celeste covering an undeniable classic like Alice Cooper's "School's Out". I normally ignore all pop music but when I heard about it I felt compelled to comment on this atrocity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there any "Best Of's" of bands like Emperor , At The Gates, Mayhem etc. ? you know the Black Metal Titans.

Heh, I was just on a metal website and it reminded me of this thread. Emperor is releasing Scattered Ashes - A Decade of Emperial Wrath soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess others which missed out are,--Stuck Mojo - Declaration Of A Headhunter.

I bought Stuck Mojo's "Violate This" compilation a few days ago, and it is pretty damn good, though some of the newer tracks aren't anything special (with the exception of "Ten Years", that is a pretty cool song). I also bought Anthrax's "Persistence of Time", which thus far I rate as a killer album.

I finally bought Nine Inch Nails' "And All That Could Have Been" the other day, I rate it highly, and would be a great way of getting into the band if you want to and don't know a great deal of their material. They are outstanding live, I recommend anyone go and catch them if they get the chance
    Last edited by Crabby; November 1st, 2002 at 3:18 AM.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Violate this is basically a cd of b-sides and demo's so actually you should get one of their albums or their live album HVY1. If you can actually find it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, cool, I think I'll do that. I actually bought "Violate This" in a second-hand CD store really cheaply the other day, and I'm liking it, even though it's just a rarities,etc collection like you said. Any album in particular you would recommend? I've liked these guys for a while, but I'm far from an expert on their work.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Declaration of A Headhunter is probably the easiest to get into, with less rap than the earlier releases, while still remainding heavy. It' also quite commercial as it is more aimed at that market as the previous releases aren't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, I'll have to check that out.

Are you into Black Sabbath or Sepultura (Max era) at all?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just figured I'd let you all know that I'm seeing Hammerfall, Blind Guardian and Symphony X within the next two months.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn you, Symphony X and Blind Guardian

Plus if anyone doesn't know by now you can download

Dream Theater's bootlegs of The Number Of The Beast from http://sfam.free.fr/

(Select TOURBULENCES and then BOOTLEG OF THE MONTH.)

There you go, I guess it'd be pretty similiar to the Master Of Puppets bootleg if anyone besides myself owns that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got 'Under A Funeral Moon' for £9 today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn you, Symphony X and Blind Guardian

Plus if anyone doesn't know by now you can download

Dream Theater's bootlegs of The Number Of The Beast from http://sfam.free.fr/

(Select TOURBULENCES and then BOOTLEG OF THE MONTH.)

There you go, I guess it'd be pretty similiar to the Master Of Puppets bootleg if anyone besides myself owns that.
    Cool, what other stuff have they done before? I bought "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence" yesterday, and it's killer. Not quite up there with MP2, but still damn good.

I downloaded a few of the tracks from "Declaraton Of A Headhunter" as well, I'm pretty impressed, I say.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They did the entire Master Of Puppets album back in Feburary this year.

And I own it

Plus they have 3 live albums, and about 6 studio albums.

Ah progressive metal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, some progressive metal/hard rock is always good for a listen.