Thread: Metal Discussion Thread

No Xmas For John Quays Sweet Stan's Avatar
    Leaning on a parking meter sipping on a margarita
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Crabby

Picked up Judas Priest's "Ram It Down" recently, loving it.
    I remember an interview with the band in Metal Hammer when that album was released(in 1988)...

K.K. Downing ..."We wrote a song called Heavy Metal because no metal band has ever done that before"

M.H. Journalist ..." Sammy Hagar did in 1982"

K.K. Downing ..." He did ??? .. Bollocks"

Other Priest albums ....Stained Class (underrated) Unleased in the East (essential) Killing Machine/Hell Bent For Leather (Personal fave) Sceaming For Vengence (Their Best) Sad Wings of Destiny & Sin After Sin (Raw)
    Last edited by Sweet Stan; January 31st, 2003 at 6:13 PM.

Greetings From The Gallows
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would have been just before Rob Halford left the band, huh? Funny stuff indeed.

Saw a bunch of Judas Priest albums cheap a few days ago, I think I'll pick up a few more of them.

Speaking of essential albums, I've been listening to loads of Refused's "The Shape Of Punk To Come" lately, what a fucking awesome album.
    Last edited by Crabby; August 17th, 2003 at 3:58 AM.

mOBSCENE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Sweet Stan

Hell Bent For Leather (Personal fave) Sceaming For Vengence (Their Best)
    I'm far from being a big Priest fan, but I'd say Hellbent surpassed Screaming for vengeance. Ah well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by SpiritualBlackDimensions
    I'm far from being a big Priest fan, but I'd say Hellbent surpassed Screaming for vengeance. Ah well.
    Well it is my favourite but then again Screaming did break them in the States

mOBSCENE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Sweet Stan
    Screaming did break them in the States
    And so did Craig David's album...I bet everyone who thought they were great for 'breaking America' feels insulted now.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of essential albums, I've got Refused's "The Shape Of Punk To Come" on ATM, what a fucking awesome album.
    Yeah the Priest stuff is cheap, as is the Kyuss stuff so I'm slowly getting that.

Also I wanted Refused album, my mate has it but I never remember to ask him to burn it off him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's definitely a classic album, by far the best hardcore album I've ever heard, though I'm far from an expert on that genre, especially these days.

"Demon Cleaner", now there's a classic Kyuss track, one of my favourites without a doubt.

Heard any more information about the Opeth tour?

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which album is Demon Cleaner on?

We could burn and swap if you wish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's on "Welcome To Sky Valley".

I saw "Stained Class" and "Screaming For Vengeance" both really cheap the other day, think I might pick them up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put this post in the Concert Review Thread, but I think it should be put in here as well, so-

Okay, I went and saw Deftones for the fist time last week, so I thought I'd share some thoughts on that. Having been a fan since '98 and never having seen them live, there was a lot of anticipation for the night. Apparently, Murderdolls were supposed to be the support band originally. Deftones claim that them getting removed from the bill was nothing to do with them but was the promoters decision, whereas MD say that it was Deftones themselves who were responsible, and that maybe they were too scared to play with them (not likely, more just common sense probably). Having seen some of Murderdolls set a few days later I wasn't exactly disappointed that they didn't play that night now.

After a brief hassle involving picking up my ticket from the venue box office, I was ready for a really rocking night.

Aussie hard rockers Brace opened, and these guys sound better all the time. Featuring some of the members of cult rockers Henry's Anger, these guys were pretty cool and have a heap of potential. The sound for them was also far better than for most supports there as well, IMO (though, some people complain about the venue but I love its intimacy, location and vibe). I look forward to seeing these guys more in the future, they have some great rock material.

Texan rockers Sparta were up next, and delivered a great set. They interacted really well with the crowd, and while a few people were a little indifferent to them, most members of the audience thoroughly enjoyed their 45-50-minute set. (I saw the guys on two other occasions this week and they were great every time). Some well-written tracks and melodic vocals, and some killer musicianship helped these guys really deliver, they had a fantastic feel and vibe to their set. Great to see the spirit of At The Drive-In still alive and kicking.

After a fairly lengthy delay, Deftones took the stage. Chino Moreno looked a little vacant and somewhat wasted but you could still tell they were ready to rock, especially as many members of the audience had never seen them before. The band opened with "Root" and "Nosebleed" from the "Adrenaline" album, and the crowd were in a frenzy. I spent the whole set in front of bassist Chi who really started to feel it and connect with the crowd. Just as I was taking a breather from a furious opening, the band literally launched into monster hit "My Own Summer (Shove It)" to an incredibly loud reaction. It was a great rendition, though the band involved the crowd a great deal in the track, they're probably a little tired of playing it every night and now decide to mix it up somewhat. After that, though, the moshpit was going nuts and even people up on the balcony were moshing and feeling the power of the performance. Chino spent the whole song standing over the crowd, screaming like a bastard and getting the crowd thoroughly involved. At this stage the whole auidence was buzzing and really enjoying every song.

One of my favourite tracks from "Around The Fur" followed, "Lotion", so I was stoked to hear that, after which Chino mentioned that ATF is his favourite album of theirs. The powerful opening riff of "Feiticeira" signalled yet another moshpit frenzy. After the track ended, many of the lights went out and Chino grabbed a guitar. I knew what was coming and a searing rendition of "Change (In The House Of Flies)" followed, with a massive crowd sing-a-long and some passionate reactions from many fans, myself included there. The band banter was interesting throughout the night. Between some songs, Chino would chatter constantly, but other times would say nothing or would make weird rambling noises. Regardless of what he'd done before the show, though, his voice still sounded great, and he told us that they wuld have a new album out in May.

More killer songs followed, with the heavy "Bored" pleasing the old school fans like myself, and Chino going nuts and even singing a little of Gorillaz' "Clint Eastwood" in the breakdown. More songs from "Adrenaline" and "Around The Fur" followed, with songs like "Lifter" and "Be Quiet And Drive (Far Away)" engaging the crowd and having them sing along word for word. Chino looked a little mad when he asked all the lights to be turned off for the latter song and they all went out but one. Chino reacted by giving the lighting people a less-than-friendly gesture, much to the enjoyment of the crowd. By this stage I was covered with sweat and the water that was being sprayed on us by the venue employees, but I couldn't care less.

The drum intro to "Around The Fur" got one of the loudest reactions of the night and it sounded great, the whole band really seem to like palying the track live. Tracks like "Mascara" and "Korea", with its monster guitar work followed, keeping the crowd on edge. I was also most pleased to hear "Digital Bath" played live, a real favourite of mine. Cue another massive, intense crowd sing-a-long for that track. A few times between tracks myself and others would call loudly for "7 Words", and shortly after the band obliged, tearing into the song with a real intensity. Hearing a few thousand people scream "Suck, suck, suck, suck, suck......" a number of times is something to behold and a credit to Deftones that they could still induce that type of reaction despite the feverish reaction to the set the whole night. I was sceaming "Shut up you don't know me......" so loud it was no wonder my voice was shot by the end of the night.

Chino then said that they had a special guest they wanted to bring out. I immediately thought it would be someone to assist in performing "Headup" but instead Xzibit appeared and a kick arse version of "Back To School (Mini Maggitt)" followed, though you couldn't hear Xzibit much in some places. Still, his appearance just whipped the crowd into even more of a frenzy and the song kicked major arse.

Shortly after, the band said goodnight, with Chi agreeing with Chino's earlier comments that it had been too long between visits, and said they'd play here very three months if they could, something the crowd definitely agreed with, with some very loud cherring. We knew they'd be back, though, as the lights were still out, and shortly after Abe came back on stage and then the rest of the band followed, and a killer rendition of "Headup" rocked the entire crowd and closed the night, with the whole crowd yelling "Walk into this world, with you head up high" at a ridiculous volume. It was a very, very intense song and the perfect way to close the set with its energy. Almost the enitire crowd were exhausted but very entertained by what they had just seen.

Overall, a great show and one that I'll remember for a long time. A few of the riffs sounded a little samey live, and while there are venues with slightly better sound and lighting, it was more than adequate and I didn't hear a single complaint walking out of the venue. Chino's frequent physical interaction with the crowd also helped matters and engaged the audience who were very into Deftones live, IMO.

I get the indication the band aren't crazy about the "White Pony" album and it's less heavy, more experimental and intricate feeling. They played less songs from it than the other two albums and the same thing happened when I saw them at the Big Day Out festival two days later. Anyway, just thought that was interesting to note there, people.

While Stef (guitarist) doesn't do a whole lot on stage, and DJ Frank Delgado plays a pretty minimal role in their live show, the others were connecting with the crowd and Chi comes across as a great person in particular. His passionate playing and backing vocals add a lot to the Deftones live show.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a compilation album which I put together on Dec 7th.

1. Soilwork - Follow the Hollow
    2. Arch Enemy - Ravenous
    3. In Flames - Colony
    4. Corrosion Of Conformity - Painted Smiling Face
    5. Stuck Mojo - The One
    6. Fu Manchu - Separate Kingdom
    7. Symphony X - Absence Of Light
    8. Slayer - Postmortem
    9. Anthrax - Belly of The Beast
    10. Edguy - All The Clowns
    11. Dungeon - Netherlife (Black Roses Die)
    12. Dream Theater - Surrounded
    13. Motley Crue - Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)
    14. Metallica - Phantom Lord
    15. Iron Maiden - Aces High

Prolly wouldn't be like that now, but still it's good to see my favourite songs 2 months ago.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quickly throwing something together this is closer what it'd look like today.

1. Judas Priest - Breaking the Law
    2. Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
    3. Soilwork - As We Speak
    4. In Flames - Free Fall
    5. Kyuss - El Rodeo
    6. Armoured Saint - Real Swagger
    7. Devin Townsend - Earth Day
    8. My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun
    9. Blind Guardian - Into the Storm
    10. HammerFall - Hearts On Fire
    11. Symphony X - King Of Terrors
    12. Dream Theater - Space Dye Vest
    13. Motley Crue - Merry Go Round
    14. Guns N' Roses - Welcome To The Jungle
    15. The Living End - Roll On

Similiar but different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both pretty cool playlists there.

I think I'll stick my Soulfly/Hatebreed/Karnivool review in this thread as well.

BTW, Outlaw, what's the address of Maiden Down Under? Just interested, man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I went and saw Soulfly/Hatebreed on Saturday night, so I'll share a few thoughts about that show.

Interestingly, for an Over 18's show, there was no one checking ID's on the way in. Not that that is particularly relevant, but I just thought it was worth noting, though the age restriction doesn't affect me.

Local boys Karnivool opened the show. They were a more melodic outfit than I was expecting. The crowd was a little lukewarm to them at times, but they had some decent tunes. They were a little generic, but they're a young band looking for exposure and they tried damn hard. I'll give them a 5 (out of 10).Their sound was also not perfect, but we can't blame the band for that.

Hatebreed were on next to a huge reaction. Jamey Jasta is an entertaining frontman, and knows how to get a crowd going and really moving. Their set list was fairly typical but they put on a pretty intense show and the crowd was really digging them. Loads of energy from both the band and the crowd made for a very entertaining set. (8). "I Will Be Heard" and the "Satisfaction...." material were real highlights.the moshpit was in a frenzy.

After a few delays, Soulfly took the stage and played a set that was a healthy mix of all three albums, although I'm not very familiar with their latest. The best reactions of the night came when they played some old Sepultura and Nailbomb tunes. Some of the band's riffs and songs sound a little samey live, but when Max Cavalera started to get into it, the crowd knew it. His stepson, Ritchie, even joined the band to help them perform "Bleed". "Eye For An Eye" was definitely a highlight, and "Last Of The Mohicans" sounded great. One complaint was that their set was a little on the short side, around an hour and ten minutes (give or take a few minutes), but the moshpit was wild and the crowd loved it. It was great seeing a true metal legend live again, so that's always going to make seeing a show like that worthwhile, and some cool rhythms always gained a crowd reaction. The fairly intimate venue was also a bonus. (7.5).

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Painkiller is Priest at their best. Duh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might actually get around to reviewing that Maiden box set soon

Painkiller is alright but it`s nowhere near their best

Jobber
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive been listening to Down, Iron Monkey, EyeHateGod, Slayer, Superjoint Ritual and Raging Speedhorn. \M/ \M/

mOBSCENE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Upon Judgement
    Iron Monkey, EyeHateGod, Raging Speedhorn.

\M/ \M/

Even if there wasn't a limit on emoticons, none of them no matter how many times would portray the hatred for those 'e-horns'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EyeHateGod are pretty damn cool, IMO

I want to get that Iron Maiden box set, it looks great, though I don't know much it is around here. The new greatest hits they just released isn't worth it, though. Not that I want to buy it or anything, but I saw the track listing and it isn't the best way to get into a band like the mighty Maiden.

Still trying to fing more information on the Opeth tour.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, Outlaw, what's the address of Maiden Down Under? Just interested, man.
    Err It's usually at www.ultimatemetal.com/forum

And scroll down, but the forums are on a different server at the moment so it's

http://64.157.176.134/forum/forumdis...?s=&forumid=15

There's not much metal talking go in there anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for the link, Outlaw.

Are you on MSN ATM,man?

Did you download some Fantomas?

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm always on MSN when I'm online.

And no I haven't. I'm download Maiden's Tailgunner to finish off maiden's studio albums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantomas' stuff is very avant-garde, a mix of a heap of different extreme metal elements.

You're an Iron Maiden completist, huh?

They're not really metal, but Mike Patton's work with Tomahawk is pretty cool as well, worth checking out.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I downloaded all their albums (they've got enough sales to buy them plenty of mansions) and I had all but no prayer for the dying.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recently I discovered this underground band, they're about the best thing ever.

Yall KNOW this is a wicked beyond wicked band! We aren't talking about sissy music here. The only people listening to this stuff are people who(for the most part)understand and appreciate good hard metal! Their first cd was raw and unspoiled. As their second cd, this one has the proper elements of growth, loudness, and fearlessness! They have nothing to prove to the metal community that they haven't already proven to the world. Haters...go on and keep hating! I love this band! I unwrapped it before noon on my lunch break the day it came out and loved it from the first 2 seconds! Just for the record, "Skin Ticket" is one of the most moving songs I've EVER heard from any band.

Slipknot write songs like left behind I can relate to and they keep metal the way it should be. This is one of the best bands ever.

They're the heaviest shit out there! YEAH!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They can have their album sales, but they need to come Down Under for a tour ASAP.

A friend of mine asked me to make a compilation for him ages ago. I haven't done it yet, but I might put these on it-

The Mark Of Cain- Familiar Territory.
    Judas Priest- Heavy Metal.
    Refused- New Noise.
    Opeth- Wreath.
    Megadeth- Wake Up Dead.
    Slayer- Angel Of Death.
    Deftones- Elite.
    Soilwork- Neurotica Rampage.
    Will Haven- Carpe Diem.
    Pantera- I'm Broken.
    Fear Factory- Leechmaster.
    Helmet- In The Meantime.
    Helloween- Future World.
    Giants Of Science- Marcia Brady.
    Down- New Orleans Is A Dying Whore.
    Corrosion Of Conformity- Clean My Wounds.
    The Scorpions- Rock You Like A Hurricane.
    In Flames- Biosphere.

I think I'll have to make more than one compilation.

Giving him the business. QuietStorm's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I have loved Dream Theater for a while now and have listened to all their albums many times over and have recently gotten into Symphony X and Nevermore. Any suggestions on what else I should pick out or give a shot at listening to as far as prog rock and thrash metal go?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prog, I'll give my opinion, and then Outlaw will weigh in with his more expert one. Check out Opeth, Spock's Beard and Tool, amongst others.

Back from the Dead.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outlaw will say Queensryche.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need some Megadeth and Anthrax.

You have a list. Use it.

NP: Anthrax - Random Acts Of Senseless Violence.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Kris
    Outlaw will say Queensryche.
    Oh and Queensryche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outlaw, always willing to lend a hand to the metal-deprived.

Still thinking about my metal supergroup.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like metal.

Hiyaaaaa.

bear force one
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Scorpions- Rock You Like A Hurricane Quiet Riot - "Cum On Feel The Noize"

FAR BEYOND METAAAAAAAAALLLLLL! NiMMERS's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Upon Judgement
    ive been listening to Down, Iron Monkey, EyeHateGod, Slayer, Superjoint Ritual and Raging Speedhorn. \M/ \M/
    I'm loving the whole sludge/doom scene at the moment. I can't believe you didnt mention Crowbar along with those bands. Raging Speedhorn are an awesome british band who need to international exposure in a bigger capacity.

Down is just plain awesome....nothing like cranking it up and downing some beers along with it.

And if you metalheads here aint here any Superjoint Ritual...do so.Now. Awesome raw thrashy heavy fuckin' metal. The riffs are really simplistic but sound really cool and the vibe is awesome. I'm hunting down the live DVD which has been recently released.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by SideburnZ
    I like metal.

Hiyaaaaa.
    Outlaw's been turning you on to some quality material.

Nice Soilwork choice there, Nimmers. Do you like Deftones at all? They rock pretty hard live.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm shit out of money here, so I've resorted to download albums.

I got In Flames - Colony yesterday. AWESOME album.

Megadeth - Rust in Peace today. Kick ass.

Cradle of Filth - Midian today.
    Cradle of Filth - Bitter Suites to Succubi.

Both are awesome.

Hatebreed - Under the Knife today as well. Awesome ass.

Next up is Operateion Mindcrime by Queensryche.

mOBSCENE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cradle of Filth - Midian today.
    Cradle of Filth - Bitter Suites to Succubi.
    Midian , that's one of my favourite albums of all time. I haven't met many other people who like Bitter Suites. I'd say "Suicide and other comforts" is my favourite song on there, if you want some different sounding cradle stuff, I suggest you purchase "The principle of evil made flesh".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh dont worry, I plan on getting every single Cradle album.

Back from the Dead.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone recommend some Meshuggah for me?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want the songs from Gorelords Force Fed on Human Flesh, but friggan Kazaa doesnt have any anymore.

mOBSCENE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want the songs from Gorelords Force Fed on Human Flesh, but friggan Kazaa doesnt have any anymore.
    Have you tried www.winmx.com?

They have lots more rare stuff on there now.

mOBSCENE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I quite like "Chaosphere" album, not all into Meshuggah, though.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And Destroy, Erase, Improve.

Supposedly their best album by many people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BurnZ, get "Satisfaction Is The Death Of Desire" by Hatebreed, if you don't already have it. Well worth a listen if you're a fan.

You should also check out Refused.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Burn me a copy and send it to me.

Put it on with a bunch of other albums I don't have on mp3 and ask for my home address. I'll send you some cds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll burn "Welcome To Sky Valley" for you if I get the chance as well. Top notch album that.

Apparently, new Slayer album late this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn, the new Biohazard album sounds rocking, I think I'll have to pick that one up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today I checked out a buncha bands.

I got Immortals "Sons of Northern Darkness", "Damned in Black" and "Blizzard Beasts".

I checked out some more bands too. I got a buncha songs from each of the following:

Gorelord, Lord Gore, Marduk, Broken Hope, Cryptopsy, Disgorge, Diabolic, and Gorguts.

Mostly good stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go ask GameOver! about Immortal, he loves them.

What Iron Maiden has Outlaw put you on to?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aussie gave me this list -
    Iron Maiden - 2 Minutes To Midnight
    Iron Maiden - 22 Acacia Avenue
    Iron Maiden - Aces High
    Iron Maiden - Be Quick Or Be Dead
    Iron Maiden - Brave New World
    Iron Maiden - Can I Play With Madness
    Iron Maiden - Charlotte The Harlot
    Iron Maiden - Fear Of The Dark
    Iron Maiden - Flight Of Icarus
    Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name
    Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
    Iron Maiden - Prowler
    Iron Maiden - Run To The Hills
    Iron Maiden - Running Free
    Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
    Iron Maiden - The Clansman
    Iron Maiden - The Evil That Men Do
    Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast
    Iron Maiden - The Prisoner
    Iron Maiden - The Trooper
    Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years
    Iron Maiden - Where Eagles Dare
    Iron Maiden - Wrathchild

But since I'm really digging them, I'll probably try to get all the albums.

And I cant ask GO! about music he likes, I think he prefers if I DONT like the same as him.

mOBSCENE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today I checked out a buncha bands.

I got Immortals "Sons of Northern Darkness", "Damned in Black" and "Blizzard Beasts".

Get "Battles in The North", it's their best album after SOND, Damned In Black is probably their worst along with Pure Holocaust, but they're all above good quality albums.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outlaw, I had a look at the list of albums you own, and I'm just interested, what's on Machine Head's "Year of The Dragon" EP? Any quality previously unreleased or live tracks on it?
    Sorry Missed this question earlier.

Umm The tracklist is as follows

01. Desire To Fire (Live)
    02. The Blood, The Sweat, The Tears (Live)
    03. From This Day (Live)
    04. New Resistance (Demo)

If you own the edition of SuperCharger with the bonus tracks you already have the first two. New Resistance was supposed to be on SuperCharger but MH held a poll on their website and the fans said no, even if its a damn cool song.

Originally posted by NiMMERS
    Outlaw, reccomend some finer cuts of Testament if you will.
    Sorry I missed this post back in the cd collection thread, and I can't answer the question since I don't really own any Testament.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Aussie_Outlaw
    Sorry Missed this question earlier.

Umm The tracklist is as follows

01. Desire To Fire (Live)
    02. The Blood, The Sweat, The Tears (Live)
    03. From This Day (Live)
    04. New Resistance (Demo)

If you own the edition of SuperCharger with the bonus tracks you already have the first two. New Resistance was supposed to be on SuperCharger but MH held a poll on their website and the fans said no, even if its a damn cool song.
    I have the Bonus Track edition, so I must have those, though to tell you the truth I haven't listened to that album in ages so I honestly can't remember. That album has its moments of brilliance, IMO, but is kind of forgettable after a while, some of it just sounds really half-hearted.

Did they open with "Desire To Fire" at their Melbourne show? 'Cause that's what they opened with in Sydney.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'm pretty sure they did.

Then Ten Tonne Hammer then Blood Sweat Tears, but I can't remember, it was awhile ago and I wasn't really paying any attention.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't paying attention? Damn you.

I also read today that tickets for Opeth's Sydney show are $35, pretty cheap for the sort of show they put on, IMO.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When do they go on sale?

And yes Opeth for $35 = cheap. $35AU = $17US.

I figured it'd be around $45

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a few random thoughts, since I haven't really been around this thread in a while.

...Waiting for the release of the Haunted's new album and DVD. Their last one was friggin' impressive...and from what I've heard of this one, it looks even better.

...If you guys haven't seen Opeth live, it's a damn shame. If only they'd played "Master's Apprentice," I'd have been in heaven.

...Wondering if I'll ever get word of Life of Agony releasing a DVD of the live shows they did in NYC, or hopefully (and eventually) a new album any time soon.

...Speaking of Opeth, I ordered the re-releases of Morningrise, My Arms, Your Hearse, and Orchid. I'm dying to get them in the mail...damn you Amazon.com!

...New BLS shortly. And Ozzy does vocals on one of the tracks.

...Heard rumors that the Iommi/Anselmo project has fallen out. If it's true, then damn does it suck. "Time is Mine" was killer on the Iommi disc. Sabbath-type music w/ Pantera-type vocals? Damn would it work.

...Also, I'm still dying to hear any news about a forthcoming Sabbath album.

...In Flames newest album just didn't meet my expectations.

...Damn, I'm hoping Ozzfest doesn't suck this year.

...My last few record-store pickups were Daylight Dies' No Reply and Six Feet Under's Warpath. Damn, I'm glad that my g/f has digital cable...b/c Daylight Dies' CD is friggin' awesome. And Six Feet Under's ain't bad either.

...Really can't think of anything else to say. I have a favorite new website...www.swedishmetal.net. Check it out if you got a sec.
    Last edited by WizoOzz; February 5th, 2003 at 9:52 PM.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And while I'm here I may as well bitch.

I CANT FINISH MY PAIN OF SALVATION ALBUM!

Cant Find the follow songs on Kazaa
    4. Trace of Blood
    5. This Heart of Mine (I Pledge)
    11. Waking Every God
    13. Beyond the Pale

BAH! Are they on WinMX? Someone check for me. Then I may download that also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sydney tickets go on sale next Wednesday, it's at The Metro, which is always Over 18's, man. I don't know about Melbourne but there you go anyway.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Danzig DVD... Soon!

From www.the7thhouse.com/
    Looks like the DANZIG dvd is just about done! The dvd will contain videos from '92-'93. Some great unreleased stuff such as the "Sistinas" and "Bodies" videos. Also some outakes of "Dirty Black Summer" and "How The Gods Kill". Incredible stuff!!!! Hopefully this will be out soon! As soon as a release date is confirmed it will be posted here. Check out some pics from the dvd editing studio:

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wizz, new Anthrax out soon, sounds similiar to Volume 8 from what I've heard, which IMO is good.
    And No I haven't seen Opeth, I live too far away from the city, but this year I'm right in the middle, 5 minutes from the Center.

I've seen the delux edition of Morninrise in Borders down here, it's got a bonus track and a video from what i remember.

Haunted/BLS/Opeth are touring Oz this year. Hopefully we get MFTB also, that'd be a sweet year. Maybe a Maiden + Anthrax tours at the end to finish it off. I'm hoping.

Yeah I have In Flames' new release "Reroute" and frankly it's not up with Colony, I picked up Whoracle for Xmas (Deluxe Edition) and it owns. Jotun!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GO!, will this be Danzigs first DVD? Or are there others out already?

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sydney tickets go on sale next Wednesday, it's at The Metro, which is always Over 18's, man. I don't know about Melbourne but there you go anyway.
    Ticketmaster/Ticketek?

Who's distributing tickets, then I can go and look.

Ah well I'll hunt the Aussie/Opeth forums and find out anyway.

Yeah i know it's over 18. My brother may be getting a fake ID to get in. Ours is at the Corner. I still think they could have sold out Festival Hall down here.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do believe so. Three VHS so far, Danzig 1, 2, and 3(uncensored video for the song HTGKill that came in the box set with the cd). I'm fairly sure that none of those releases have been transfered to DVD.

I've got 1, 2 and also 3 on a bootleg with multiple other videos, interviews and live performances. I'm quite excited about this. Oh yes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black Label Society will kick arse, the exact dates and venues haven't been confirmed yet, but the tour is from April 21-25, which probably means they'll only hit Sydney, Melbourne and probably Brisbane. Zakk Wylde would be fucking amazing to watch live, people.

And I'm stoked at the price of the Opeth show.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GO! Couldn't they do what Pantera/Sepultura did in throw all 3 VHS videos onto a DVD? Why don't they do that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by GameOver!
    I'm quite excited about this. Oh yes.
    As well you should be...

I'll be picking it up as well, as soon as I hear about a release date.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty certain that Opeth tickets for Sydney are only available from the venue. If I were you I'd ring the venue and ask them, they're bound to have the exact price as well, man.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GO! Couldn't they do what Pantera/Sepultura did in throw all 3 VHS videos onto a DVD? Why don't they do that?
    Thats what I was gonna say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pantera home videos and watching needless destruction=fun.

And it seems the new Slayer album will be out mid-late this year, now there's some good news.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhhh, all I know of the DVD so far is the quote I posted. They very well could be doing that. If anything, for those of you who have not seen the uncensored HTGKill video, you should be excited as fucking hell. H.R.Giger's Master and the Marg brought to life with some titty shot.

Magnificent!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who exactly are Opeth touring w/ over there? Here there were two bands who I'll say were decidedly Goth in style. And boy did they get tortured by a decidedly pro-death metal crowd in Philly.

Opeth were good, though. The other two bands though really, really were not up to par.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black Label Society will kick arse, the exact dates and venues haven't been confirmed yet, but the tour is from April 21-25, which probably means they'll only hit Sydney, Melbourne and probably Brisbane. Zakk Wylde would be fucking amazing to watch live, people.

And I'm stoked at the price of the Opeth show.
    Oh fuck yeah.

$35 is easy to scrounge together.

As for The Haunted. Downunder Tour dates are:

THE HAUNTED "One Kill Wonder" Australian Tour March 2003

with special guests Blood Duster

March 12th Adelaide Uni Bar with Diatribe
    March 14th Melbourne The Corner with Earth
    March 15th Sydney The Metro with Daysend
    March 16th Brisbane The Arena with Minus Life

And I hear Tickets for those gigs are $35 also

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Support(s) haven't been announced yet, but I think I'll definitely have to go now, especially as I thought it'd be shitloads more expensive than that.

And am I the only person who is tired of seeing people like Marilyn Manson on the cover of "metal" magazines?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And am I the only person who is tired of seeing people like Marilyn Manson on the cover of "metal" magazines?
    You're reading the wrong magazines then.

I opened a Metal Edge up the other day and it was filled with shit on Bon F'n Jovi!!! Mix that with POD, Slipknot, Korn, ect.. and you've got a magazine of shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll second that. Manson's day, IMO, is over.

Alas, he's still got his fans. If people are going to get back into him, then Golden Age of the Grotesque had better be pretty damned good.

Wasn't he supposed to write a book or something based on his "trio" of albums? Guess that never saw the light of day...heh.

And oh yeah, any "metal" magazine you can buy in Wal-Mart is not a magazine worth buying. Not only is it going to be filled with crap, it's going to be a month late.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to go see The Haunted as well, but I think I'll be busy on that day. Oh well, Opeth will make up for it, I'm certain.

I hear that Alchemist may be supporting Opeth.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by WizoOzz
    Who exactly are Opeth touring w/ over there? Here there were two bands who I'll say were decidedly Goth in style. And boy did they get tortured by a decidedly pro-death metal crowd in Philly.

My sources don't give me the supporting acts.

I'll ask the forum, they should have an answer within a day or two.

http://64.157.176.134/forum/showthre...threadid=72304[/color]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I bought Metal Hammer the other week, 'cause I had a three-hour train trip to look forward to, and desperately needed something to read. They have some quality material in there about bands like Opeth (and the issue I read had a cool few pages on Danzig/The Misfits as well), but just a heap of utter shite. I don;t want to read about Murderdolls in a supposedly metal magazine, thanks.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by GameOver!
    You're reading the wrong magazines then.

I opened a Metal Edge up the other day and it was filled with shit on Bon F'n Jovi!!! Mix that with POD, Slipknot, Korn, ect.. and you've got a magazine of shit.

Yeah I have a few Metal Edges, it's full of nu-metal shit, I have one from early last year Puddle of Mud on the cover. WTF?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robb Flynn on Machine Head's new material-

"It sounds like old Metallica, but different".

mOBSCENE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by WizoOzz
    I'll second that. Manson's day, IMO, is over.

Alas, he's still got his fans. If people are going to get back into him, then Golden Age of the Grotesque had better be pretty damned good.
    His day was over the day anti-christ superstar was released.
    How that is "recognised as his best work" I have no idea. His best work is easily:

Portrait of an American family.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More Metallica news. They've just announced tour dates in the US with Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park. Someone please explain that one to me, I'm waiting. I'd love to see Metallica live, but geez, that's not good to hear.

I'm not a Marilyn Manson fan really, but Antichrist Superstar has so much filler it's ridiculous.
    Last edited by Crabby; August 29th, 2003 at 8:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See...even more reasons to be sure to not buy the new Metallica album whenever it comes out.

And ACSS wasn't that bad. I listened to it quite a bit back in its day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear Mudvayne will complete the bill with Metallica.

I think Lars also said some of their new stuff sounds like Hatebreed as well as Meshuggah.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got 3 Children of Bodom albums.

I love them. MM...sweet sweet music.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loving the whole Swedish melodic death scene ATM.

BTW,any Aussies here planning to go to Kiss Symphony in Melbourne soon? I hear most of the tickets are pretty damn expensive, and I don't think Kiss are a band that would gel particularly well with an orchestra.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm playing Trumpet in that orchastra. It's gonna rock!

(thinks of the Twisted Sister Song 'I Wanna Rock')

Hmmmm yeah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just don't see that show being all that and then some. Though, Kiss and Paul Stanley will have you believe it's the greatest concert ever to come to Australia.

Plus I hear Ace Frehley won't be coming either.

Texas Weedeater Massacre Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got 3 Children of Bodom albums.

I love them. MM...sweet sweet music.
    Follow the Reaper and Something Wild are badass albums.

I've finally decided: I'll order Sons of Northern Darkness and Grand Declaration of War from Amazon (free shipping!), and while I'm waiting for that, I'll buy Crimson Thunder from the record store near my house (I know they have it...it's still a mystery why they don't carry nearly any black metal...or Strapping Young Lad...) so I can listen to that while I wait for the other two to arrive.

Hey Outlaw, I just heard Riders of the Storm on one of my digital channels; great song. Even though I've only heard it once, I'd say it's better than The Unforgiving Blade and the title track.

SBD, I heard you mention Burzum earlier. I liked one of the early songs (War, I think), but what does Varg's new stuff sound like? Just because the guy comes across as a total nutcase (albeit an intelligent one) doesn't mean I shouldn't consider buying any of his stuff in the future, I guess.

On the topic of metal mags, Terrorizer looks okay, but it's probably too expensive for me. Do they ever give out sample CDs when you get a subscription?
    Last edited by Nemesis; February 6th, 2003 at 1:36 AM.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hearts Of Fire!

And Trailblazers

They're my favs off the album. I still prefer Edguy's Mandrake to Crimson Thunder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still prefer Edguy's Mandrake to Crimson Thunder.
    Edguy's record label isn't associated with the RIAA, is it?

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno I didn't buy the album, my mate burnt it for me.

AFM is their record lable.

http://www.afm-records.de/ is their record lable's home page, so if they're associated you can figure it out for yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet, they're not.

I'll check them out.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would you care?

Are you boycotting certain things you political activist?

And Tobias was my vocalist for the Supergroups thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would you care?

Are you boycotting certain things you political activist?

Yep. That and the NET act scared me out of getting any RIAA-owned stuff anyway.

Good thing my favorite bands are mostly on Century Media and Nuclear Blast.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine are scattered all over the place.

FAR BEYOND METAAAAAAAAALLLLLL! NiMMERS's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get 'Destroy Erase Improve' first off, dude. Awesome songs that fucking punish! And go for 'Chaosphere' as well it has some awesome songs all well....Hell go for the whole catalogue! Songs like 'Future Breed Machine', 'Suffer in Truth' and 'New Millenium Cyanide Christ' rock hard.

Nice Soilwork choice there, Nimmers. Do you like Deftones at all? They rock pretty hard live.
    Soilwork are fantastic...along with In Flames they are 2 bands I'm working on getting back catalogues.

Deftones are pretty cool. I have 'Around The Fur' and I reckon it's awesome but I've never taken the time to check out their other stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you go see Metallica in Newcastle or Sydney back in '98?

I look forward to the release of the new Deftones album in May, apparently at this stage it's self-titled. Metallica and Deftones touring together in the US, that would be damn cool, if only they could fuck Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park off.