Thread: Metal Discussion Thread

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Album! THE BEST ALBUM!

Megadeth - Rust In Peace

Now this is metal, after a half metal release, yes thanx guys, I've decided to go back to THE ALBUM of the 90's

What an album, I can't believe that some people only like the first two tracks, hangar and Holy Wars, even though the album is worth the however much you pay for those 13 minutes alone.

Now a backstory, Dave Mustaine formed 'Deth back in 85, by 86 he already had a damn fine album out in Peace Sells, and a solid album in So Far, Soo Good, So What? (2nd best 'deth album IMO), Metallica had Puppets, Ride, Kill (1/2 of it was co-written by Dave) and Justice.

1. Holy Wars... The Punishment Due (6:36)
    2. Hangar 18 (5:14)
    3. Take No Prisoners (3:28)
    4. Five Magics (5:42)
    5. Poison Was The Cure (2:58)
    6. Lucretia (3:58)
    7. Tornado of Souls (5:22)
    8. Dawn Patrol (1:50)
    9. Rust In Peace... Polaris (5:36)
    Total playing time: 40 m. 44 s.

Now Holy Wars, you could have an album just with this song repeated 8 times, you'd still have a brilliant album thats how much this song kicks, it's heavy, it's fast and it's always relevant.

The first Chorus of the album:
    Brother will kill brother
    Spilling blood across the land
    Killing for religion
    Something I don't understand

Still rings true in today's society, even much more after the 9/11 attacks and whatever acts you choose to give religious fanatics.

It's sets a precident for the album, one which is kept up for the entire album (bar the ok dawn patrol: more on that later)

Hangar, follows exactly where Holy Wars finished. It's got more of a punk, rawer feel to the song but still is really polished. The album cover takes off from this track, with the song being about the Roswell incident back in the 40's.

Take No Prisoners, the album just keeps going, if decent musicmanship lead directly to album sales and single's we'd have 3 singles from the first 3 tracks at least, the first two tracks had videos, Hangar is Brilliant and Holy Wars isn't much worse. As for this song would be the most nihilistic track on the album but it still has an upvibe feel, probably since you're put in the seat for the killing, as the track is not aimed torwards you, but your enemy, ah well I still love the damn thing.

Five Magics, is probably the hardest track to get into from the entire album, and that would be from the start, unlike the rest of the tracks upto this point, we go slow for about the first 120 seconds of a five minute track and then finally does the singing and guitars properly kick in. Poison was the cure is probably in the same boat, but they're still awesome tracks, Even though i'm saying they're harder to get into than say... hangar they're still brilliant.

Lucretia, opens the last half of the album, and gives a more pop feel about it, while remaining heavy any of these songs could have been worked torwards mainstream television. Easily.

The guitars are still there from the opening tracks as is the speed, but it's a slower pace, and I don't know how to describe it, but it's just really how pop metal should be, while remaining 'dark'. The possible reason for the back half of the album is that, David (no not Dave) Ellefson has co-credits on the following 3 tracks.

Tornado Of Souls, was always a live favourite for the 'deth boys, it's a damn good song, nothing else really needs to be said.

Dawn Patrol, I told you I'd get to this, it's not a bad track, compared to the other songs on the album it's bad, but play it by itself it's still decent, it's just that on an album of brilliance, a good song looks bad. It has a completely different vocal style than the rest of the album, with a down feel to it, but it works nicely as a lead in for the title track and final track Rust In Peace.

Rust In Peace... Polaris, is my favourite song ever, it opens with a drum solo, and then with a character voice, (not as an intro) but sung, he's evil, he's damn cool, and he's Polaris. Much how I'd imagine Vic Rattlehead (main character on cover) if he was in a song.

It's brilliant, the song stops halfway, and ou think the album is over, it comes back in, and it's still there.

With speed, riffs, damn fine solos, and enough decent stuff to put in your essay about human decadence during the 20th century it's a damn fine release.

10/10.

There's not much more you can give to this album, if you're not a metalhead, you still need this, if you own the black album, and not this, and you think that is metal, sell it to get this, this is metal.

Dave (great name btw, wish i was as cool as mine, o wait ) had put out an album awaiting Metallica's next release, something he knew was brilliant! Metallica then brought the self titled release and somehow that half album and demo's sells over 1 million a year, go figure.
    Last edited by Aussie_Outlaw; November 16th, 2002 at 5:48 AM.

Greetings From The Gallows
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great review there Outlaw, any plans to review "Peace Sells.... But Who's Buying?" as well?

I'll review a few albums when I do eventually get around to it. How long did it take you to write that review? I guess since Megadeth are your favourite band probably not that long.

No Xmas For John Quays Sweet Stan's Avatar
    Leaning on a parking meter sipping on a margarita
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Live bootleg was recorded in 1978 on the Draw the Line tour so it`s pretty much recorded at their peak. As well as stuff off the first 5 albums it also has Chip away the stone (possibly their best non album track) and a cover of the beatles Come Together before they recorded it for the Sgt Pepper soundtrack.
    As well as that there are 2 covers they recorded for a radio show,Mother popcorn (A James Brown track) & I ain`t got you (an Elvis song)
    Draw the Line is also on the album but for some reason has never been listed on the album credits

Unlike most live album this one was recorded at one show rather than songs being picked from several & has no studio overdubs added later & all the duff notes & mistakes have been left in (Hence the title of the album)which is probably why I love it so much
    Last edited by Sweet Stan; November 16th, 2002 at 8:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, cool, definitely sounds good. I love their version of "Come Together" but have never been certain what release it was put on. I like the fact that it is a rawer live album, something which even in those days was somewhat uncommon. Some people say that AC/DC's "If You Want Blood...." had a decent degree of studio tampering. Ever listened to Megadeth's "Rude Awakening"? It's almost laughable how much it has been tinkered with.

Do you like the "Get A Grip", "Nine Lives" and "Just Push Play" albums at all? Not much, but they do have some decent songs amidst some pretty ordinary material.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone live around Atlanta? My friend flew down there from Winnipeg yesterday just to see Progfest (I think that's what it's called). There was Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian, Devon Townsend, etc.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own Rude Awakening on both DVD and CD, it's not that bad, but it's nothing brilliant. Doesn't stant close (if you wish to compare 2002 Live Metal albums) to Maiden's Rock In Rio, now that s a DVD the band can be proud.

As for the review, well it didn't take much time at all really, maybe 15 minutes, but I didn't really have to think much.

Yeah there is a progfest festival, somewhere down there.

Stan, with your extensive glam/hair metal knowledge I was wondering If you could perhaps write me a list of the top 30 hair metal tracks, or something. Since I know not much about the ins and outs of the 'genre' with only owning the Crue's Greatest hits and Feelgood, thanx if you could. If you can't just say so. I'll bother someone else.

Anc Crab, you not on my msn list mustn't have sent, gee msn is really fucking up. PM me your mail if you wish.
    Last edited by Aussie_Outlaw; November 16th, 2002 at 11:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Aussie_Outlaw
    Stan, with your extensive glam/hair metal knowledge I was wondering If you could perhaps write me a list of the top 30 hair metal tracks, or something. Since I know not much about the ins and outs of the 'genre' with only owning the Crue's Greatest hits and Feelgood, thanx if you could. If you can't just say so. I'll bother someone else.

I shall go through my collection & report back in a couple of days

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just PM'd you, Outlaw. My MSN is also screwing around,so I haven't been able to get on there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know it`s funny , I`ve just spent the last hour digging out loads of old hair metal albums in preperation for this list & listening to them for the first time in over 10 years & the first thing that hit me is how heavy this stuff is.
    When people talk about hair rock people tend only to remember the power ballads.The every rose has it`s thorns , the wanted dead of alives ,the winds of change type songs.
    I find it funny that the likes of Blink 182 & sum 41 are considered punk when stuff like Motley crue`s first album & Skid Row`s first album had more punk attitude than all those bands put together.
    All of the best glam/hair metal was influenced by the likes of T-rex, New york Dolls , Sex Pistols , Aerosmith,Alice Cooper, Kiss & Cheap Trick ect ect yet this seems to go unoticed sadly.I`d go as far as saying that Motley Crue had just as much a punk influnce as Nirvana did

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, Outlaw, the Rock In Rio DVD does indeed kick some serious arse. And how about the size of that crowd!!!!

I agree, I think most people just heard the power ballads and thought that was what the genre was all about. Not that I'm much of a fan of it but you seemed like you were a pretty huge fan of the genre at some point.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep Hair metal rocks more than the shit today.

I just watched Ratt's Round and Round, yummmm hair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Crabby

you seemed like you were a pretty huge fan of the genre at some point.
    Back then it was either cheesy pop , the Smiths or hair metal.

I`d outgrown pop & was a horny 15 year old who liked looking at sexy girls dancing in videos....did you think I was going to be a Smiths fan .....?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was a little surprised when Andrew Haug dragged out some old Ratt videos for the Rage special, but it seems he likes all kinds of metal.

I look forward to your list as well, Stan.

"This Is Spinal Tap" satires the whole hair metal/sexism scene brilliantly. Anyone else a fan of this film?
    Last edited by Crabby; November 17th, 2002 at 2:02 AM.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I have it on video.

Them walking around backstage lost while trying to find the stage.

Or releasing an entire black album.

hmmmmmmmmm..... damn rip off merchants!

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh yeah.

Who did get this smilie added?

I remember I was using it from the megaedth forums about 5 months ago, then I kinda left, and when I return it was added, who got Ed to add it? Or did Ed just add it himself?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't have a clue, it is pretty cool, though. Rock on.

Or the "You can't dust for vomit" part, and their "Big Bottom" song, which is actually quite well written.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a good movie.

Hmm Airheads = betterness.

I used to play D & D too.
    I used to be the editor of the school magazine.
    I used to masturbate...... constantly.

Top movie.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's play a game.

It's called Pick that Metal Artist
    The game has a bit of a trick to it.

Go on!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK here`s part 1 of my list.Rather than do a top 30 which was a bit limiting (And time consuming)I thought i`d just go through my list of albums writing down the bands & the songs I like most by them so here you go ........
    ACCEPT - Balls to the Wall , Fast as a shark

German metal band who almist rivelled the Scorpions in popularity at one time with a very simelar style.
    Fronted by Udo Dicshneider (Spell?) who looked like a stocky drawf with a buzzcut who looked like he`d just walked out of the army

BANG TANGO - Dancin on coals, Soul to Soul , 20th Century boy

Looked like the Cult , Sounded like the Cult .Their cover of the T-Rex classic was far better than Placebo`s

BLACK CROWES - Loads of stuff

I`m still a huge fan of this band.They went through a rough patch on their 3rd- 5th albums but their last album Lions was a return to form

TOMMY BOLIN - Teaser , Wild Dogs

If you have the Crue compilation you`ll have heard Teaser but the original rocks in it`s own right by the ex Purple guitarist.Wild Dogs to this day is one of my favorite rock ballads

BONHAM - Wait for you

Band featuring Zeps drummers son Jason Bonham.Pretty lightweight album but this song rocks

BRITNY FOX - Girlschool,Long way to love,Son of a Bitch

Aerosmith/AC/DC influenced band that looked like bigger girls than Poison

CATS IN BOOTS - SHOTGUN SALLY

U.S./Japanese band who were never really big but had a cult following for a while

CELTIC FROST - Cherry Orchids

Despite being influencial in the thrash/death metal scene in 1988 they recorded their Cold Lake album which was basically a glam rock album & alienated their entire fan base.this song was pretty good though

CHEAP TRICK - Elo Kiddies,Surrender,I want you to want me , Dream Police

The forefathers of hair rock

CINDERELLA - Shake me , Night songs,Shelter me

One of my favorite bands,Their singer sounded basically like AC/DC`s Brian Johnston with Aerosmith style songs

THE CULT - Too many to list

One of my favorite bands, Saw them blow Guns n Roses offstage

D*A*D - Bad Crazyness , I won`t cut my hair

Danish band famous for having a bass player who wore a pudding bowl on his head while playing a bass with 2 strings.Very punkish sound to them

DANGEROUS TOYZ - Scared , Sportin a woody

Had a kind of Guns n Roses sound to them but had more upbeat songs

DEF LEPPARD - Hello America , Rocks off , Let it go , Me & My wine,Rock of ages

Forget all the preconceptions you have of this band their first 2 albums were heavy as fuck

DIRTY WHITE BOY - Bad reputation , Lets spend mommas money

Southern rock style band formed by longtime Bowie guitarist Earl Slick

DOKKEN - Tooth & Nail , Dream Warriors

Pretty good melodic rock band, Dream Warriors was used as the music to Nightmare on Elm Street pt.3

ENUFF Z NUFF - New thing , Fly high Michelle

Think Poison playing Beatlesy psychadelica

EXTREME - Decadent dance , Wind me up

Forget that More than words shit ..these rocked

FASTER PUSSYCAT - Don`t play that song,Babylon, Bathroom wall,Where there`s a whip theres a way

One of my favorites,back in the beginning of 87 the rock press was saying either this band or Guns n roses would be huge by the end of the year ... guess who won.Also their cover of Carly Simon`s You`re so vain is also well worth a listen

GIRL - Hollywood Tease , My Number ,Do you love me

Late 70s BRit band featuring Phil Collen (Went to Def Leppard)& Phil Lewis (Went to LA Guns)were hated in the UK at the time ,they were too pop for metal fans & too metal for pop fans but were very influencial.Do you love me is the same Kiss cover Nirvana did

GUNS N ROSES - Shadow of your love

Don`t really need to say anything here but this song was one of the first things they ever recorded & I still have it on a compilation album I bought in 1986
    Last edited by Sweet Stan; November 17th, 2002 at 5:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outlaw, what's the trick with the game?

Airheads is quality. The part where they hold up the radio station with water pistols is hilarious.Wayne's World 1 &2 are better films of that type, though.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trick is that it's not a metal band, so essentially I lied.

They're still top class movies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmmm, who was it then? I had an idea but I think it was way off, seeing as it isn't actually a metal band.

Is your MSN working yet?

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My MSN is on.

It's East 17!

I figured it was an easy one.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crab did you hear about Andy Haug?

3RRR basically claimed he had a conflict of interest doing The Hard Report on Triple R and 3 Hours Of Power on Triple J. Even though he's been doing them both for 2 years and the Hard Report for 10 years. So he's finished on 3RRR and is now only doing Triple J.

The triple R show is Melboune Only show but still it's terrible that this country's major Metal announcer has been kick off one of his shows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well,that's a shame. I mean, there aren't too many people who know remotely as much about metal as Andrew Haug. Living in NSW, I've never heard The Hard Report, but that sucks, indeed. Are they replacing him on the show then?

BTW, who was the band in the pic?

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was East 17. (I said before)

The show's continuing with his co announcer Tony as far as I know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't have picked you for a Britpop fan.

Listening to Anthrax- Among The Living ATM.

What's Haug's co-host like?
    Last edited by Crabby; June 12th, 2004 at 2:18 AM.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I guess he's an ok bloke, but in my opinion he was the sidekick to Haug's superhero. Haug talked and Tony basically added his two cents in all the time.

It'll be weird next Sunday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you listen to the Kerrang! radio show at all? Is HR as good as THOP anyway?

Henry's Anger- now there's a band they should play more of on that show.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Kerrang show doen here, thats sydney.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eh, it's okay from what I've heard, but nothing special.

Cryogenic- another band who should get more airplay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you know that East 17`s last ever gig was at a school disco to 34 kids who couldn`t give a shit who they were.

The music industry is so cruel

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stan knows too much crap.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am I the only one here when I'm playing Unreal Torny I get the feeling to listen to Gwar's America Must Be Destoryed, the game mirrors the band beautifully.

Stanley Spadowski's Clubhouse them69's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

I like Down.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you like Corrosion of Conformity and Pantera also?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone like Labrat at all? I've downloaded some of their stuff and it's pretty cool.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are they?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're kind of a mix of styles, though mostly death metal with a fairly significant thrash and grind influence. Pretty good, quality heavy stuff.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK may look at em later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time for an East 17 moment.....

"Everybody, everybody in the house of love!!!!".

I recommend you check out Labrat, pretty cool stuff.

Didn't hear much of THOP last night. Anything particularly significant happen?

Have you ever heard any Helmet? Quality hard rock/metal that is anyway.
    Last edited by Crabby; June 12th, 2004 at 2:19 AM.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I don't listen to 3 hours of power, we have a prog/power metal show down here which I prefer as they are two of m favourite forms of metal.

Yes I've got some Helmet tracks on my computer which I downloaded about 18months ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you download "In The Meantime" or "Unsung? at all?

Eh, THOP is pretty cool, they play a diverse selection of heavy music, IMO. There's another local metal show around here, not bad,actually, though I haven't listened to it in a little while.

Are you into Black Steel? Pretty cool power metal band.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I have both those tracks.

Power metal is damn fine. From what Ive heard of Black Steel they're pretty good, and Pegazus are great also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Meantime" is a kick arse album,cheap as well, definitely worth getting your hands on, IMO.

BTW, my MSN is finally working.

Texas Weedeater Massacre Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am I the only one here when I'm playing Unreal Torny I get the feeling to listen to Gwar's America Must Be Destoryed, the game mirrors the band beautifully.
    Whoa, I'll have to try that.

I've been playing the Doom games again, but I've been listening to the new Cannibal Corpse stuff at the same time. Perfect fit.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Original Doom theme = ripp off of Metallica's Master Of Puppets.

It's so true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never realized that.

I noticed the Playstation Smackdowns have music that sounds a lot like White Zombie, Full Devil Jacket, etc., though.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But do you hear the resembalence now? Urrg spelling bad.

I had the music playing while I was playing doom a few years ago and somehow by chance same song was playing during the level.

Weird.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Hair Metal list is incomplete.

Or does every hair metal band's name start with a letter before G?

Hmm Ratt.

Obviously not.

Don't worry Stan, I probably won't be around next week anyway.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    I've liked Blind Guardian for a while now, downloading music from time to time, but now I want to purchase an album of theirs, Which one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was trying to figure out why DOOM sounded familiar.....

The best BG album is tough to call. Their sound changes a lot from album to album. I'd say Nightfall in Middle Earth is best...Into the storm, Mirror Mirror, Nightfall, Time stands still are all good songs. I love the opening riff to Mirror mirror...

If you like them, check out blind-guardian.net. They're on an American tour right now. I hope you're there, I forgot to check your location thingy.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will the hair metal list ever be complete stan?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It`ll be finished when I can actually log on for once & my boss isn`t overworking me to the point I just can`t be bothered to do anything other than sleep

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK thats fine.

You go back to sleep.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember Outlaw,patience is a virtue.

Pretty geared up for Soulfly/Hatebreed/Karnivool, though.

FAR BEYOND METAAAAAAAAALLLLLL! NiMMERS's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did anyone go to the Soulfly instore at Sanity in Sydney a few years back? I was there and boy Max has one of the weakest handshakes ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, but they're doing another one this Saturday anyway. Are you going to Soulfly/Hatebreed show in Sydney?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh I'm so out of the loop I never even heard about it!

I think I'm going to some WXA wrestling show in Liverpool anyways.

Hey anyone else here got the Sepultura Chaos DVD? 3 old videos on one DVD.....nealry 3 hours of Sepultural goodness!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, I haven't, but I heard today that it rocks.

The show should be great, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could use some suggestions:

Can anyone recommend any decent death metal bands in the vein of Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, etc.? I've been listening to several CC songs from the new CD, and I'm finding that I like it a whole hell of a lot. But I don't know which bands to check out, since the farthest I've went is a few bands like Vader and Deicide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out Entombed's 'Wolverine Blues'. There is a fine line between good and bad death metal bands...I suppose it all comes down to originality. I say bar death metal and get into the Swedish scene with bands like Meshuggah, In Flames, Arch Enemy, Entombed, Darkane, Soilwork and Finland's Children of Bodom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Anyone in this thread like Down? I'm hesitant to call them metal, more like really hard rock, but whatever. They are really goddamn cool, even if I'm not a big Phil Anselmo fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I'm a huge Down fan, as is Outlaw, and I believe that WizoOzz is quite the Down follower. Do you like Pantera, CoC, EyeHateGod and Crowbar at all? All great bands worth checking uout if you haven't already done so.

Meshuggah= great metal. I read an interesting article about them in my friend's Kerrang! magazine, about them on the Ozzfest tour. Man it'd be cool watching them blow bands like Adema off the stage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Well, I'm actually not really a Pantera fan at all. They have a couple good songs, and I especially like their Planet Caravan cover, but they just rub me the wrong way for some reason. I'm a big fan of Peppar Keenan though, and CoC as well...don't know anything by the other two bands that made up Down. Any suggestions?

I hate to do this to ya, but I saw Meshugga open for Tool about a month ago... I was definitely not a fan. The constant screaming vocals just don't cut it for me, plus their music seemed real disjointed to me. Oh well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, there would have been some changes in time signatures at those shows. I hear Tool are huge Meshuggah fans, and that's why they went on tour together.

What other metal bands do you like? Are you into acts like Iron Maiden, Anthrax, Slayer, Hatebreed, Megadeth, etc?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

I was in the middle of a freaking response and the power went out for 20 minutes...

To be perfectly honest, I'm not much of a metalhead. I like a select few bands and acts, but a lot of the old school metal, and the more extreme stuff (black, death, etc) I just can't get into. I'm into a lot more of the hard rock stuff like Tool, SOAD, well hell, a lot of stuff. I know a good bit about some metal, but it's just not my thing. Out of those bands, I do like some Maiden, and I think I have a couple Hatebreed songs floating around somewhere...they are not bad at all.

I am on an enormous Down kick though. Guitar tone is so thick you can cut it with a knife, I love it. The Southern groove is so damn awesome, too.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not even Megadeth.

Damn.

What about Prog? Dream Theater, Symphony X, Pain of Salvation?

Cheesy Power Metal? Edguy, Stratovarious, Blind Guardian?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Megadeth good. I own RIP and numerous mp3s of other songs. Dave's vocals grate on my nerves after awhile, and I haven't found many songs I like off later albums, but they are definitely a fun band to listen to. I also love old school Metallica (and new, too, but that's hard rock, not metal)

Prog metal ain't my thing. I'll keep my not so favorable opinion of DT to myself

Here's a list of bands with songs I like, it's incomplete:
    Iced Earth
    In Flames
    Black Sabbath (I think they're hard rock but most peopel say metal)
    Darkest Hour
    Preist
    Zao

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff, and when you mention a name I'll be like "duh", but oh well.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm Inflames. Go for Soilwork as well too.

Iced Earth's live release Alive In Athens, tires the shit out of me, it basically puts me to sleep even though it's still a good release.

Priest means Judas Priest?

And the reason I bring up Megadeth, is because they're my favourite band I can't help it. Dave's vocals never really get on my nerves, some vocalists do, his vocals dont.

On other things I ran my speakers to hell. They're dead now after playing music through them 8 hours a day, for the past few weeks, at full blast.

They were ratshit anyway.

Also I got Nile's Amongst The Catacombs of Nephren ka (havent listened to it yet) and Fu Manchu's California Crossing as well as Racer X's Superheros off a mate.

Ah tis good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the reason I bring up Megadeth, is because they're my favourite band I can't help it. Dave's vocals never really get on my nerves, some vocalists do, his vocals dont.

I didn`t mind his vocals on the first 3 or 4 albums but after that they went from being a low growl to a whiny yelp

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Nemesis
    I could use some suggestions:

Can anyone recommend any decent death metal bands in the vein of Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, etc.? I've been listening to several CC songs from the new CD, and I'm finding that I like it a whole hell of a lot..
    Definately check out Wurulak's cd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by NiMMERS
    Check out Entombed's 'Wolverine Blues'. There is a fine line between good and bad death metal bands...I suppose it all comes down to originality. I say bar death metal and get into the Swedish scene with bands like Meshuggah, In Flames, Arch Enemy, Entombed, Darkane, Soilwork and Finland's Children of Bodom.
    Ah, the Gothenburg scene. I'm pretty familiar with those bands. I'll have to check out some Entombed and Wurulak next. Thanks guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also I got Nile's Amongst The Catacombs of Nephren ka (havent listened to it yet) and Fu Manchu's California Crossing as well as Racer X's Superheros off a mate.

Ah tis good.
    Both quality albums, I must say. They're not metal, but I've also been listening to loads of (International) Noise Conspiracy lately, they've got some killer tracks.

Personally, I don't think a whole lot of Megadeth after "Countdown To Extinction" (which I see as their own "Black Album", but without the massive success, in that it was kinda over-produced and mainstream-targeted). "Youthanasia" had its moments, IMO, but the albums after that have been ordinary to say the least. No offence, though. The later albums have had some worthwhile tracks but far too much shit. I love "old school" 'Deth, though, I mean, if you dig what they've done lately, then cool.

Never really heard a whole lot of Blind Guardian before (except from a friend's collection), but I downloaded some stuff a few days ago and I'm liking it more every time that I hear it.

Them69, I like heaps of varying styles of music as well. Metal (and hard rock) are my favourites and make up most of my collection, but it's not all I listen to.

Sweet Stan, you mentioned in another thread Faith No More's "The Perfect Crime" from the Bill and Ted soundtrack. I love that song but I never found a copy of it on CD when I looked a few years ago. Quality stuff, though. I also don't see the problem with their cover of "War Pigs" being on "The Real Thing" album, although I do think that "The Cowboy Song" from the Live album could have been put on there, it was a great B-Side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went and saw Soulfly/Hatebreed/Karnivool last night. Pretty good show, and I always like the Uni of NSW Roundhouse as a concert venue.Max znd co.' set could have been a little longer, IMO (they played about an hour and ten minutes), but it was still a good night.Hatebreed were great, pretty intense, and Karnivool were average, a little generic, but okay (they were a lot more melodic than I would have expected as well). Interestingly, apparently Max wouldn't sign any Sepultura/Nailbomb stuff at the Sydney in-store, although that doesn't really surprise me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Crabby
    Max wouldn't sign any Sepultura/Nailbomb stuff at the Sydney in-store, although that doesn't really surprise me.
    That was the case a few years back when Soulfly did the BDO a few years back. I had a poster and my CD sleeve there and he forgot to sign the CD the dumb fuck. I thought it was funny how Gloria was standing at the side of everything and watching over like she was watching her kids play sports arms crossed and handbag over her shoulder.

She dissolved Sepultura by getting Max under her thumb. I hate her.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was the case a few years back when Soulfly did the BDO a few years back. I had a poster and my CD sleeve there and he forgot to sign the CD the dumb fuck. I thought it was funny how Gloria was standing at the side of everything and watching over like she was watching her kids play sports arms crossed and handbag over her shoulder.

She dissolved Sepultura by getting Max under her thumb. I hate her.
    Well, that's interesting. I was going to go to the in-store but work committments prevented that. I hear she's pretty hands on in terms of how she manages his and the band's affairs. I didn't know until a few days ago that she and some of the family actually tours everywhere with him and the band. It was pretty damn cool at the show, though, they played some Sepultura and Nailbomb stuff. Hopefully Sepultura find their way down here for their next album.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They played some Nailbomb? That shit rocks hard!
    I was there for the Seps in 99 and I'll be there again when they come back. Apparently they're finished (or near) their new EP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, we should have a few beers at the show when they do come out this way again (I haven't caught them before, so it'd rock). Yep, the Nailbomb stuff was pretty cool. I'd heard it before but couldn't recall the name of it.

Isn't the new Sepultura EP a covers collection?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that'd be cool! If you aint heard the Nailbomb live album do so cos it rocks hard and is full of intense songs.

Yeah the new E.P. is all covers...no idea of who they are covering though. Should be good what ever it turns out to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have heard a few live tracks from Nailbomb, but not the whole album, I thought it was only a live EP they had released. I'm also fairly certain the Sepultura EP is a punk covers collection, as I said before. Interesting to see which tracks they have decided to cover. The new live album is killer, though, I borrowed a mate's copy of it. I'll have to shell out the cash to buy it, it rocks.

Just out of interest, where did Sepultura play in Sydney, as in what venue? Just wondered what the approximate size of the crowd was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah the live album rules. I love the Cro-Mag's cover. Awesome.

The gig was at the Hordern Pavillion. Packed house.....I was near the back to start with and didnt plan to mosh too hard but once they launched into 'Against' I was thrashing Ending up right in front of Andreas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just heard "At One With the Beast" by Wurdulak and "Demon" by Entombed (already heard "Wolverine Blues...R.I.P. Headbanger's Ball ), and they both kicked ass. I'll probably end up buying both of those, but not before I get Cannibal Corpse's Gallery of Suicide and Deicide's Once Upon the Cross (I just hope it's as good as Serpents of the Light was).

I've also been checking out a few songs by Mortician, Cephalic Carnage, Krisiun, Cryptopsy, and Bloodbath, and they're not bad, but nothing's caught my ear like the first bands I mentioned (except for Bloodbath...they fuckin' rule!!).

Anybody on these boards listen to Vader?? I'm thinking of getting their new CD, but the few songs I heard from it sound a lot alike. Litany was good, and so was their cover song CD, but I'm not sure if I want to throw $17 at Revelations yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I reckon Once Upon The Cross is better than Serpents...

Gallery of Suicide rocks hard. I like Vader. Don't shell out for Vader's latest efforts. They pale in comparison to their older stuff. I suggest getting Sothis and Black to the Blind. Or even check out their covers album Future of the Past which is awesome. I love their live album...so much energy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brujeria- An interesting side project, well worth checking out. Mindsnare are another band I've been listening to lately.

I hope Sepultura find their way Down Under sometime soon, it's been a while since us Aussies got some quality metal tours (not forgetting Soulfly/Hatebreed).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brujeria are pretty cool in small doses every now and then. I love their version of the Macarena...Marijuana..it's a real pisser.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or even check out their covers album Future of the Past which is awesome.
    Hell yeah, I picked that one up last summer. Their cover of "Flag of Hate" absolutely shreds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their cover of Possessed's 'Death Metal' is simply brutal. Simple yet brutal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of Nailbomb Crabby are you familiar with Fudge Tunnel .. the other half of that collaberation at all ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, can't say I am, any good?

Off-topic, but I finally bought Jane's Addiction's "Kettle Whistle" compilation a few days ago. I can't say that the unreleased stuff is on par with the band's first three albums but some of the live tracks really kick arse.

Speaking of Jane's Addiction (no, they aren't metal, but what the hell), their new studio album is apparently going to be out sometime early next year. Hopefully they play some new material when I catch them in January. (Can't wait for that either).

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Warmachine!
    http://www.warmachineonline.com

Sorry I just love their song The Beginning Of The End.

Power Metal! \m/

Debut album is gonna be produced by David Ellefson (Megadeth Bassist).

You know there had to be a Megadeth connection

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't expect any less from you, Outlaw. I just might go and check that band out anyway.

Have you bought the new Opeth album yet?

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NO!

I went looking on Thursday (yesterday) at JB HiFi in Chadstone, and it wasn't there, I tried the week before at JB in Frankston and it wasn't there.

I'm more interested in Symphony X's Odessy, but my brother is gonna buy Opeth's deliverance so I'm looking for that also.

Stupid music stores. I know it's in the city, but I'm not going to the city in the near future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I've only seen it in one place, and it was $40 as well. Might pick it up eventually if I can be bothered,it'd be about a forty minute trip again if I decide to purchase it.

You could try EBay, chances are someone's selling a copy on there, might be worth a try if you're getting desperate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WHOO! New Strapping Young Lad!http://www.blabbermouth.net/Strappin...%20-%20SYL.mp3

It's awesome. Great grinding metal riffery from the Canadian Metal God. I wouldnt expect anything less.

I anticipate Devy's double release in February.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terria = Ambiance.

Just got the album.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you mean you just got the album?! I've been mail ordering direct from Devy ever since Infinity. Devy is god.

I broke my Canadian copy cos I stood on my CD wallet whilst drunk and what luck I stood on my latest cd that I'd been spinning the shit out of.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BAH!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see another SYL album, although I didn't realise that it was out here yet. I heard somewhere (might have read it, can't remember where, but it was a credible source) that SYL will most likely be touring here sometime in 2003, which would be damn cool, particularly seeing as I missed Devin's last tour here.