User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Snooker!

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something whilst I'm here - I didn't realise until my girlfriend told me that only seven players have ever been number one in the world rankings. But, she didn't tell me who the seven were. O'Sullivan, Davis, Hendry, Williams and John Higgins are five - anyone know who the other two are? Thanks.

Help me, help you Christopherson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ray Reardon and ??? Doug Mountjoy dunno I'll check.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll plump for John Spencer and Ray Reardon (I know Reardon is right I'm not sure on Spencer though).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whens the next BBC tourny then

Disco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Blue Panther
    Whens the next BBC tourny then
    The next BBC Tournament is the World Championships in May I think.

Thanx to Blood for the Sig - The man is a wizard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently Alex Higgins made his big comeback in Londonderry recently against some 16 yr old.
    Higgins was beat 5-1, with his highest break being 23.

Disco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently Alex Higgins made his big comeback in Londonderry recently against some 16 yr old.
    Higgins was beat 5-1, with his highest break being 23.
    God bless his soul for trying! On a serious note...It must take a lot of courage to do something such as that, knowing that if you show yourself up, your gonna get it in the neck, great player in his prime though.

Do the World Championships start in May??? I'm not too sure, although i'm looking forward to them. I might go down to Sheffield and catch a 1st or 2nd round match...If all the Tickets are not sold out.

I'm going for Hendry for the World Title, for the Eight time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The world Championships definately starts in April

As for Alex Higgins , the best the game has ever seen, maybe? and he has fought back from everything and i say well done to the man for everything he has done for the sport and coming back and giving a good go at it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have to disagree, and say that the title of best ever would probably have to go to one of the boring ones like Steve Davis and Stephen Hendry due to their dominance.

Rocket Ronnie is well on his way though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Blue Panther though as well because I feel you can't have one without the other.

Without Ray Reardon, Alex Higgins wouldn't have been the same
    Withour Steve Davis, Jimmy White wouldn't have been the same
    Without Stephen Hendry, Ronnie O'Sullivan wouldn't have been the same

Sorry to repeat myself, but it was just to make a point

Disco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone else heard about the recent spat between O' Sullivan and Williams?

There was some pretty harsh stuff said in there. Here it is:

O' Sullivan - 'I don't know anyone in the game of Snooker who like Williams'.

Williams - 'Stupid people say stupid things'.

O' Sullivan - 'Mark should be thankful and feel privileged that he's mentioned in my book, They certainly won't be writing books about him. You only get books written about you if you're great and interesting. I was asked how I felt about a number of players - and if I'm doing a book I want it to be honest and true with no half measures. Mark is big and ugly enough to take it on the shoulders. I'm cool about it - maybe he's not so cool. However, I won't be using up all my energy worrying about it. I know I am a champion of my own life. I have come through a lot of trials and tribulations and survived."

Quite frankly, I hope Williams gives him a good pasting..There are no need for those sort of comments, he discraces the game when he says things like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hendry is/was not boring, he is/was the most prolific break builder the game has ever seen. Even the Rocket (who probably has more natural ability than anyone ever in the game) won't even come close to Hendo's century and point's records. Never mind the actual amount of titles he has won.

If you mean Hendo is boring because he doesn't make a prat of himself like Higgins and to a lesser extent O'Sullivan does, then yes he is boring.

Coincidence that Williams and Hendry and best mate's and O'Sullivan is taking pot shot's....also I would hazard a guess and say that Ebdon does not like Ronnie much either (they had a spat of sorts a few years back, because Ronnie was playing left handed through out there game, and Ebdon thought he was being disrespecting which he was).

Don't get me wrong I still love to watch the "Rocket" but as a guy on the streets he is a dick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you mean Hendo is boring because he doesn't make a prat of himself like Higgins and to a lesser extent O'Sullivan does, then yes he is boring.
    No I mean Hendry lacks a certain X-Factor to make him a fan favourite. Look at the reception Jimmy White gets, especially at Wembley. And this is at a time when he's waaaaay past his peak, and I doubt Hendry could have generated that reaction when he was at the top of his game.

Rocket Ronnie may be a cocky sumbitch, but at least he brings some interest to the game. "As a guy on the streets" you could have argued that Muhammed Ali was a dick, but few will argue that he isn't one of the great sports hero's in the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are entitled to your opinion, however I love the game of snooker not the antics off it. I would rather see a ton plus break than O'Sullivan "disrespecting" one of his opponents or Higgins arguing about where the ref is standing. White is a enigma, and that is mostly to do with the fact that Britain loves losers. Plus he was a awesome player no doubt.....the best screw back player ever....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I just read the rules of how Snooker is played, and I have one question.

One the very first shot (in Pool this is known as the break. I've learned that Snooker contains a different break) how is it normally done?

Do you break more like you would in 14.1 (an easy break to keep from breaking the balls up) or something more like a 8-ball or 9-ball break (hitting the rack as hard as possible in an attempt to sink as many as possible.)

I could see reasons for both, and I was wondering what the norm was.

Disco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by DAKPluto
    Okay, I just read the rules of how Snooker is played, and I have one question.

One the very first shot (in Pool this is known as the break. I've learned that Snooker contains a different break) how is it normally done?

Do you break more like you would in 14.1 (an easy break to keep from breaking the balls up) or something more like a 8-ball or 9-ball break (hitting the rack as hard as possible in an attempt to sink as many as possible.)

I could see reasons for both, and I was wondering what the norm was.
    A break off shot in Snooker is basically a defensive shot where you clip the outer edge of the pack of 15 reds so that the cueball travels all the way back up the table, thus making it hard for your opponent to pot a ball. If you was to just smash the pack up, you would leave an easy chance for your opponent and you probably wouldn't get to play another shot. Having said that, the standards of play these days are emmense and therefore even a good break-off shot could result in your opponent potting a long red.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Big_Sexy
    A break off shot in Snooker is basically a defensive shot where you clip the outer edge of the pack of 15 reds so that the cueball travels all the way back up the table, thus making it hard for your opponent to pot a ball. If you was to just smash the pack up, you would leave an easy chance for your opponent and you probably wouldn't get to play another shot. Having said that, the standards of play these days are emmense and therefore even a good break-off shot could result in your opponent potting a long red.
    Thanks, one other question for you. In Pool, you are required to have the cue ball, or any other ball touch a rail after contact with the object ball. Is this a requirement in Snooker also? (Potting a ball also counts as the rail touch.)

Disco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, one other question for you. In Pool, you are required to have the cue ball, or any other ball touch a rail after contact with the object ball. Is this a requirement in Snooker also? (Potting a ball also counts as the rail touch.)
    Nope. As long as you don't foul like potting the white or anything, then it doesn't matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope. As long as you don't foul like potting the white or anything, then it doesn't matter.
    Interesting. Kind of makes safteys a breeze though.

In pool, the hard part about safties is making sure you hit that rail.

Disco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. Kind of makes safteys a breeze though.

In pool, the hard part about safties is making sure you hit that rail.
    Snooker is a more skillful game than Pool and requires alot of practice to be good at it. Unlike Pool, where you pot each of the balls alternitavely, in Snooker, you have to pot a red, and get a position on a colour and then pot that. You have to keep doing this. Proffesionals often think 3-4 shots ahead of themselves because the art of 'Break-building' is position.

The table is bigger. It is 12" by 6" as apposed to a Pool table which is 6" by 3". Because of this it makes it twice as difficult. The pockets are also smaller which means you have to be more accurate with your shots. There is also alot more tactical play in Snooker as your basically earning the right to score points. The person with the better tactical game will often get the first opportunity to score points which then means you have to rely on your shot and positional play. Proffesionals from England, Scotland such as Ronnie O' Sullivan have perfecting the art of Break-building and often score about 100 points in one visit to the table, also recognised as a 'Century Break'. The standard of the modern game is of a very aggresive style.

I'm not being stereotypical here or anything, but I don't know of any Americans who play it, even thought they should, it's a great game to learn and to play.

There are 6 colours on the table, all worth a certain amount of points.

Red, obviously is 1, Yellow=2, Green=3, Brown=4, Blue=5, Pink=6, Black=7.

When you get a chance you have to open with a red and then pot a colour (Any colour you want, or positional wise) You continue this pattern until you miss (If you do) Obviously, the best way to go about it is potting a red, black, red, black as that is the highest valued colour although this is not always possible because of the way the balls are situated.

Ronnie O' Sullivan is renouned for making '147's'...Which is the higest possible break which can be achieved. All 15 reds followed by all 15 Blacks and then the 6 colours. This is also known as a 'Maximum'.

The foul shots are pretty much the same as in Pool, although there will be some differences, obviously. Anyway, I hope that clears up any confusion about the game of Snooker. You Americans should play it, it's a great game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snooker is a more skillful game than Pool and requires alot of practice to be good at it. Unlike Pool, where you pot each of the balls alternitavely, in Snooker, you have to pot a red, and get a position on a colour and then pot that. You have to keep doing this. Proffesionals often think 3-4 shots ahead of themselves because the art of 'Break-building' is position.

The table is bigger. It is 12" by 6" as apposed to a Pool table which is 6" by 3". Because of this it makes it twice as difficult. The pockets are also smaller which means you have to be more accurate with your shots. There is also alot more tactical play in Snooker as your basically earning the right to score points. The person with the better tactical game will often get the first opportunity to score points which then means you have to rely on your shot and positional play.
    Well, as for the potting balls, I normally play 9-ball, which requires even more skillfull position than snooker, since you are stuck to only one ball after every shot. At least in Snooker you 15 balls available to start, then 6 after that shot.

And in 9-ball (and 8-ball) you have to think 3-4 shots ahead also. Espically if you have balls tied up.

Umm, pool tables range in size, but the tables I normally play on are 9'x4 1/2', which is considered the normal size for a pool table. The 6' foot tables are normally only found on coin-op tables, and are commonly refered to as bar tables, since they take up less room. Any self respecting pool hall would only carry 8'x4' as their smallest.

And as for the tatical playing, that will come in any game played with balls on a table. You have to play for position every shot, every game. And as I said, at least in snooker you have the advantage of not needing to hit a rail after contact, an element that is actually easier than pool. And for those beginning touch shots, we have the same thing whenever we play 14.1 ( a great money game. )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'The Regal Scottish Open' is underway right now in Edinburgh.

However, I doubt the tournament has much in the way of credibility judging by these 3rd round results-

McManus 5-1 O'Sullivan
    Selby 5-2 Stevens
    Gray 5-4 Hendry

and most unbelievably
    Higgins 5-2 White

Disco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [COLOR=orange-red]Old John Higgings knoced out by David Gray of all people...What a strange Tournament this has been...All of the Big names going out.

World Championships coming up soon...But considering my T.V has broke, I might well be missing alot of the action. How will I survive?! I SHALL FIND A WAY...
    [/COLOR]

Disco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well...It's that time of the Year again. World Championships start this Saturday, I'm looking forward to it. I'ld have to say Rocket Ronnie is Favourite because of recent Form, well, I think you have to make him favourite in every Tournament he plays in these days!

There should be a few good bets Lurking around. I might put a few quid on Ebdon...You normally get Good odds for him, and considering he's World Champion, you never know...

I might go down to Sheffield and TRY and catch a First or Second round match. I wouldn't mind going to the Final, but I suspect Tickets for that Sold Out Months ago

Disco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr Ebdon, I believe you have been telling lie...Not in the best of form you say...Nah, Century Break in the first Frame of the Defense of his Title is just pure luck

Yea, Ebdon 20/1 for the Title, I think I'll have a Fiver on that...Where the hell do they get these Odds from??? Hendry is a good Bet as well come to think of it...

Should be an entertaining two weeks or so...Some great players out there, I would like to see Joe Swail do well for a change, Great player...He under-achieves very much though, although he's done great considering he's partially death...

Yeas, so, people, who you backing for the Title, Hendry all the way for me...Although I think there will be a few upsets this year...I have a feeling Jimmy White will do well for some reason...He has to win the Title before he retires, It's just meant to be!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as its a thriller I don't really care who wins. Hopefully all the big players will be at the top of their game, as if they are it could be one of the great tournaments.

I don't think Ebbo will reclaim his title, although I think he'll reach the quarters at least. I'd like to see Ronnie vs. Hendry at some point, preferablly the final if possible.

Apparently a guy called Adrian Gunnell, world no. 70, hit 3 147s in 4 practice frames against his friend. Watch out Willie Thorne!

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has this Gunnell guy managed to qualify?

Disco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Shabba!
    Has this Gunnell guy managed to qualify?
    Indeed he has.

Disco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anywayz, the Tournament is Hotting up already with Hendry and Ebdon already safely through...

Nice to see Quinten Hann taking a more serious approach to the game, he is a great player really and I reckon he can do quite well in this Tournament.

After a shakey start against McCulloch, Higgings is looking somewhere near his best and Steve Davis, continuing his consistent form which he has shown throughout most of the season.

As for King, I can't believe he has quit the game. It may well be Stressful, but that's Life.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does BBC do the same with the interactive coverage as sky sports by giving letting you choose what table to watch?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What the fuck is snooker?

Disco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Shabba!
    Does BBC do the same with the interactive coverage as sky sports by giving letting you choose what table to watch?
    Yes, I think so, although there will only ever be two matches going on at one time so I wouldn't bother, besides, I haven't got Interactive, don't see the need for it.

Disco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Hulkamania
    What the fuck is snooker?
    It's like Pool, just Harder and more Technical...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well today and yesterday they weren't any active snooker. So I don't think so.

Come on Hendo......

Reckless
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's like Pool, just Harder and more Technical...
    It's nothing like pool. Granted, you use round balls and use the cue, but the rules are totally different. The scoring system is totally and the set up of the balls are different.

Snooker is played with 15 red balls, a black ball, pink ball, blue ball, yellow ball, green ball and a brown ball. Each ball is worth a certain amount of points:

Red ball: 1 point
    Yellow ball: 2 points
    Green: 3 points
    Brown: 4 points
    Blue: 5 points
    Pink: 6 points
    Black: 7 points

The aim of the game, is to first pot a red, then you have a shot at a coloured ball. Get that in, then you go for another red and then a coloured. You continue this until you miss or commit a foul, and then it's your opponents turn. When a colour ball is potted, it is placed back onto the table in it's original position. Once all the reds are potted, the player has to pot a colour in order: yellow, then green, then brown, then blue, then pink and finally black. When all the balls are potted, the person with the highest score wins.

Quite different then eight ball i think.

Disco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, o.k, extremely different to Pool but still involving potting balls...

Good Australian player is Quinten Hann...He is doing well in the Championships

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone see Rocket Ronnie's 147?

2nd quickest he's ever done. Unbelievably he has the 5 quickest of all time.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He may have hit a 147 but Marco Fu is currently 6-3 ahead of him.

I am sure he would rather trade places.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic stuff from Ronnie, now all he has to do is work on his attitude.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by St Christopher
    Fantastic stuff from Ronnie, now all he has to do is work on his attitude.
    and turn around a 6-3 scoreline.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Fu has had his number in the past should be interesting stuff tomorrow afternoon. The first 2 frames are important if Fu wins the them I can't see Ronnie coming back, however if Fu losses them the likewise I see Ronnie going on to win.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My heart is on Hendry to win his 8th title. My head is on Williams. Stevens has started well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always fancy Hendo when it gets to the longer matches, because that way they can shrug off that bad session that snooker players always seem to get. So there quality where inevitably show.

Williams, Higgins and Hendo have got to be favourite but to me a good outside bet is Stephen Lee, trust me he has the tools to do it, it's just wether or not he has the mental tools to go with it.

The reason I haven't added O'Sullivan into the favourites is because of his current showing.

Disco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always fancy Hendo when it gets to the longer matches, because that way they can shrug off that bad session that snooker players always seem to get. So there quality where inevitably show.

Williams, Higgins and Hendo have got to be favourite but to me a good outside bet is Stephen Lee, trust me he has the tools to do it, it's just wether or not he has the mental tools to go with it.

The reason I haven't added O'Sullivan into the favourites is because of his current showing.
    Very well, but, O' Sullivan is the greatest player to have ever picked up a cue in my opinion, that's with the like of Alex Higgings and Jimmy White. Would O' Sullivan wanna swap places with the scoreline? I'm not too sure. I think he would have preferred the 147 myself as he likes doing spectacular things, he character is great...He has kept the viewers.

Hendry, is a great player but I feel his Safety play is a bit dodgy this year even though his Breakbuilding is Top Notch. I would probably go for Williams though, very good all round game...His one ball potting is amazing. I would love to see a O' Sullivan - Williams Final, not only for the excellent play, but for the tension over their recent bust-up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very well, but, O' Sullivan is the greatest player to have ever picked up a cue in my opinion, that's with the like of Alex Higgings and Jimmy White.
    I disagree, they are the three top characters and fan favourites in snooker because of the way they act, but to say they are the best snooker players ever is a bold statement. Hendry 7 world titles(1 with a broken arm), Davis has 6 world titles, they may not race around the table playing with both hands but they are technically brilliant players. In my opinion Stephen is the best snooker player ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Ronnie is happy nonetheless picking up £147,000 for that amazing 147.

Disco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Y2Jay
    I disagree, they are the three top characters and fan favourites in snooker because of the way they act, but to say they are the best snooker players ever is a bold statement. Hendry 7 world titles(1 with a broken arm), Davis has 6 world titles, they may not race around the table playing with both hands but they are technically brilliant players. In my opinion Stephen is the best snooker player ever.
    Fair enough. Yea, Ronnie gets the attention because of the way he acts, but, you're forgetting, O' Sullivan has made 5 147's in competative competition, well, 6 now and holds the record for the fastest which was 5 minutes and 20 seconds. Yea, so, he's only won one World Title, might not have made 500 Hundreds like Hendry but, the man is a Genius. The most naturally Gifted player in the game, he plays for Fun. You ask most people who is the Greatest, O' Sullivan will be top of the list with either Alex Higgings or Jimmy. Without Higgings, Snooker would not be where it is now as is the same with O' Sullivan and White.

Bold statement? Nah, the man is a Genius and a Brilliant player.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Mo
    I think Ronnie is happy nonetheless picking up £147,000 for that amazing 147.
    It is more than that for this championship. Don't ask me why but it is.

is better than torn @ rba
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    £169,000 for six and a half minutes work... not bad at all.

At the moment though, he looks all but out, losing badly to Fu. I hope McManus wins it but he's realistically got no chance. I see Williams walking away with it again but I really hope not.

Disco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, O' Sullivan out at the first hurdle...

Great performance from Fu though...Considering O' Sullivan had only just made that 147, you'ld of thought he'ld have broke down a bit, but, fair play to him.

Not that Ronnie will be too dissapointed with a £160,000 in his back pocket which is about the same amount of money you would get if you were runner-up in the World Championships.

Anyway, with my Pre-Tournament favourite out, I'ld have to put my money on Hendry or Williams. Matthew Stephens has a decent chance as well, along with Paul Hunter. There might just be a surprise this year, you never know...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ronnie O'Sullivan's 147 was the first 147 that I had seen as live and it was amazing seeing it played out in front of my eyes.

And on the point of interactive I would have loved to have seen Drago v. Swail, but thats just what I think, Drago I think is very exciting.

My tip for the championahip ia Paul Hunter as underdog vs Stephen Hendry or Mark Williams in the final.

Anyonne think that Jimmy White might have one last go or is that just my wishful thinking.

Disco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by HBA heartbreakandy
    Ronnie O'Sullivan's 147 was the first 147 that I had seen as live and it was amazing seeing it played out in front of my eyes.

And on the point of interactive I would have loved to have seen Drago v. Swail, but thats just what I think, Drago I think is very exciting.

My tip for the championahip ia Paul Hunter as underdog vs Stephen Hendry or Mark Williams in the final.

Anyonne think that Jimmy White might have one last go or is that just my wishful thinking.
    Yea...£160,000...Not bad for 6 Minutes work I suppose I seen the one he made in 5 Minutes and 20 Seconds a few years back, quite possibly the most Famous Frame of Snooker you will ever see in your life. If you ever get the chance to watch it, do so, It was awesome.

Also, I'm glad someone mentioned Drago, what a player, although you don't hear much about him these days. He is so quick around the table. He once made a Century in 3 Minutes.

A good bet would be Matthew Stephens. He has been to the Final before and is a quality player. I would have said Ronnie, but he was knocked out by Fu. Jimmy White - The fans Favourite, you never know, he looks in good touch. I think there will be a few surprises this year...

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I watched a few frames of that match on Tuesday during the interval of White/Wattana and it was quality. Drago was looking as good as I've ever seen him. Averaging 11 seconds a shot and still getting breaks of 70-odd.

Now Ronnie is out I'll be backing Tony.

en19ma
    Lost £20 when sullivan lost. I need Williams to pull it out of the bag for me. £20 at 9/2 = £95

Stevens was at 14/1, very tempting

Disco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After watching Drago today, well, let's just say I might put a few quid on him considering his ODDS are quite ridiculous for such a good player...11 Second shot time, Ronnie's is 16 Seconds, and that's fast. It's not like he's playing quick and only knocking in 30 or 40 Breaks. He's constantly knocking in 70's 80's and even a couple of Century's today!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jesus Christ, you might like snooker but you know nothing about it.

O'Sullivan may be the most naturally gifted player ever, however his temperament is always being questioned and still is to this day. The greatest player ever is Stephen Hendry there is no arguements to that statement. You said about 147's in competitions have a guess how many Hendo has? Okay I can't tease you it's 8 (including, a 147 that he got to win the Liverpool insurance charity with the score 10-9 work it out). You said Hendry had 500 centuries he doesn't he has 600 plus (I think it's 614 but I could be wrong there), have a guess how far ahead he is to his nearest competitor? He holds the record for most century breaks at the World Championships (16).

*takes a deep breath*

Look I know after all that, you are still intitled to your opinion and I do respect that, I am sorry for going off on you. It's just that to me, it is undisputable.

Also the greatest frame of snooker ever is Taylor against Davies 85' final frame 35, I think the 18 million+ viewers proves that.

Here is a little snippet for you:

The TV audience was a staggering 18.5 million which, at the time, set three new records. It was the highest figure for televised sport in Britain; the largest BBC2 audience and the largest British television audience after midnight. And, to this day, it is still ranked in the top five viewing figures for British sport and the second highest viewing figure, behind ice dance duo Torville and Dean, for any sport apart from football. So, 13 years later, does Dennis Taylor get fed up with being asked about snooker’s Match of the Century?

en19ma
    The TV audience was a staggering 18.5 million which, at the time, set three new records. It was the highest figure for televised sport in Britain; the largest BBC2 audience and the largest British television audience after midnight. And, to this day, it is still ranked in the top five viewing figures for British sport and the second highest viewing figure, behind ice dance duo Torville and Dean, for any sport apart from football. So, 13 years later, does Dennis Taylor get fed up with being asked about snooker’s Match of the Century? [/B][/QUOTE]

The reason why viewing figures in general were higher in the past (not just sport) was due to a lack of viewing choice. Three, maybe four channels were available. Nowadays, people have sky tv thus viewing figures have declined drastically.

Disco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jesus Christ, you might like snooker but you know nothing about it.

O'Sullivan may be the most naturally gifted player ever, however his temperament is always being questioned and still is to this day. The greatest player ever is Stephen Hendry there is no arguements to that statement. You said about 147's in competitions have a guess how many Hendo has? Okay I can't tease you it's 8 (including, a 147 that he got to win the Liverpool insurance charity with the score 10-9 work it out). You said Hendry had 500 centuries he doesn't he has 600 plus (I think it's 614 but I could be wrong there), have a guess how far ahead he is to his nearest competitor? He holds the record for most century breaks at the World Championships (16).

*takes a deep breath*

Look I know after all that, you are still intitled to your opinion and I do respect that, I am sorry for going off on you. It's just that to me, it is undisputable.

Also the greatest frame of snooker ever is Taylor against Davies 85' final frame 35, I think the 18 million+ viewers proves that.

Here is a little snippet for you:

The TV audience was a staggering 18.5 million which, at the time, set three new records. It was the highest figure for televised sport in Britain; the largest BBC2 audience and the largest British television audience after midnight. And, to this day, it is still ranked in the top five viewing figures for British sport and the second highest viewing figure, behind ice dance duo Torville and Dean, for any sport apart from football. So, 13 years later, does Dennis Taylor get fed up with being asked about snooker’s Match of the Century?
    I'm afraid I have to disagree. So what, O' Sullivan temperament was awful a few years back, sometimes he would loose on purpose just to get out of the Arena, sometimes, he was a Discrace to the game. Some of his comments, are a discrace to the game BUT, that doesn't hide the fact that he is the best he is better than Hendry, and always will be.

So what, He's only won the World Championship once, apposed to Hendry's 7, he might have no-where near as many Centuries, he might not have 8 147's to his name but even so...7 World Championships is an achievement in itself, 6 U.K's, 6 Embassey's E.T.C...However, there are things O' Sullivan has done and achieved that no-one else is capable of doing. O' Sullivan does spectacular things, which makes him a great player.

Have you never heard Dennis Taylor in commetry??? It goes somehwre along the lines of 'It was a pleasure to commentate on Ronnie's 147, it was quite possibly one of the most remarkable things I have ever seen on a Snooker Table, we will never see that again' - That is Dennis Taylor talking there.

Also, Hendry does not Hold the record for the most Centuries in a World Championship, It is John Higgins when he won the Title in '98.

That Final Frame of Dennis Taylor and Davis may well have pulled the most viewers, but it was 13 years ago, things have happened since then so I do feel that it is very Disputable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When did Ronnie turn pro and was it shortly after he turned pro that he went through his bad patch (about 95??).

Just wondering if it was because he came into the sport under a lot of pressure as a guy with unlimitless potential.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alex Higgins is the greatest ever player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually it was John Higgins that did have that record with 14, but as I already said Stephen Hendry now has the record number of centuries with 16 which he achieved last year.

Here is the link for you if you don't believe me. click here

The only thing that O'Sullivan does that is spectacular in connection with snooker is, he takes his shots quickly....wow truely amazing.

No one disputes Ronnie's natural ability but there has been lot's of sports stars that have had great natural ability, it does not make them the best. And the way we judge that in snooker is by how many titles that person has won.....and we all know who that is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Hendry can win the Championship again over time - there will be no doubt in my opinion. Since the quality of snooker is always increasing, if Hendry can solidfy his position as the best again then he'll be at the top on his own.

Talking about natural ability, you can make a case for how good Alex Higgins was as well. Jimmy White maybe? Playing fast doesn't make you great. I could go there and take a second for each shot and and not get anything. It's about who gets the most frames, not how fast they play.

Disco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O' Sullivan is an Instinctive player. He automatically knows the angle of a shot as with Drago. He gets down and just plays the shot without thinking about it.

Say, for instance, O' Sullivan was to slow down and think about his shots more, he would probably miss more.

When Hendry went through his bad patch where-by he was no longer knocking in Century after Century and people started frequently beating him. It was because he started to doubt his own style of play, and, I don't know if anyone else noticed, he shot time rose dramatically over a period of a few months.

At the end of the day, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I just feel O' Sullivan is the best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lee Vs White - Should be a decent match.

COME ON TONY DRAGO!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on Jimmy, send that fat toff home!

I saw Higgins 147 attempt on TV today, really unlucky the way he finished up on that green. So far this has been a great tournament, and we're only in the 2nd round!

I noticed Ebbo was being a bit of a wanker today against Drago, playing purposely slow to put off Tony.

Disco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I noticed Ebbo was being a bit of a wanker today against Drago, playing purposely slow to put off Tony.
    Ebdon is always a wanker. If you just watched it about 15 Minutes ago, Drago missed an easy Pink into the middle and conceded the Frame by just like knokcing the balls all over the place. Kinda like Jimmy White last year. Well, Twat face Ebdon leaves the Arena, supposedly to go Toilet for like the Fourth time in that session, takes about 5 Minutes. When he come back, Drago started clapping sarcastically and stared at him when he was walking back to his chair. Well done, Drago!

By the way, Ebdon's average shot time was at 30 seconds, apposed to Drago's 14...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally we agree on something, yes Ebdon = Wanker.

Intercontinental Champion Freddie Mercury's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on Jimmy, send that fat toff home!

I saw Higgins 147 attempt on TV today, really unlucky the way he finished up on that green. So far this has been a great tournament, and we're only in the 2nd round!

Yeah go, go Jimmy. If there’s one thing in life I want to see and that’s Jimmy win the world Championship.

AS for that Stephan Lee, he must have been taking diet tips from the Big Show!! He seems to get bigger every year. I'm sure if he lost some weight it would improve his game.

Drago has to be one of the most exciting players I’ve seen in professional snooker. In stark contrast, that Hendry guy bores me to death.

By the way Best of luck Jimmy!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on JIMMY!!

and Ebdon is a twat snooker is meant to be a sport with integrity (sp?) yet he trys and win by putting off the opponent wtf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Freddie Mercury

Drago has to be one of the most exciting players I’ve seen in professional snooker. In stark contrast, that Hendry guy bores me to death.
    *covers eyes*

Thankfully Hendo made it past Henry, seemed like a very tough match for him and unless Stephen picks his game up I can't see him making it much further.

I am beginning to think that John Higgins doesn't have the bottle to make a 147, twice in the one match.....

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *covers eyes*

Thankfully Hendo made it past Henry, seemed like a very tough match for him and unless Stephen picks his game up I can't see him making it much further.

I am beginning to think that John Higgins doesn't have the bottle to make a 147, twice in the one match.....
    Hendry did look to be struggling especially at 10-9 down but in the last 4 frames he was on top form again.

Higgins has made 147s before so he has the bottle. Do I want him to do it again? Do I fuck. Turning up at the cruicble this morning in a Celtic scarf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Jimmy makes it past Lee he has either McManus or Fu in the Quarters. I would have fancied his chances against both of them but Fu did put out the Rocket.

Good to see Drago and Ebdon patched things up, although Drago gave away a little more than I needed to know when explaining Ebbo's illness!

Disco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though I hate Ebdon, I've just put a Tenner on him to Win the Tornament 10/1...I just feel he has a decent chance of winning it

He'll blow out in the next round knowing my luck!

ARNIE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I quite fancy a bet on Higgins myself....

Disco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by s-pac
    I quite fancy a bet on Higgins myself....
    I'ld hurry up and do it then...At 7/2 at the Minute, but the way he's playing, it won't be like that 4 long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm considering Jimmy, 20/1

is better than torn @ rba
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoops if you did... he's out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimmy.

Williams to win methinks.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone but Higgins or Ebdon.

Mon Hendry.

Disco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on Ebdon!!! He would win me £50 if he Wins the Title! As much as I hate him, I really need him to win. Besides, I'm skint

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Nerf Herder Fan
    Whoops if you did... he's out.
    Shit, couldn't watch yesterday. But should have known, sorry.

I read today that Jimmy has split with his wife...... AGAIN!

I think thats why he lost

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    i love to watch o'sullivan play. and i have always liked ebdon, hendry and nigel bond

Disco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shit, couldn't watch yesterday. But should have known, sorry.

I read today that Jimmy has split with his wife...... AGAIN!

I think thats why he lost
    It's a shame for Jimmy. 6 Finals, and not Winning one of them has gotta be hard to take. He's one of the games greatest Attributes, and I just can't imagine him retireing without Winning the World Title. It has to happen. Jimmy was one of the players that made Snooker what it is today, and without him, It probably wouldn't be getting the Publicity it is getting now.

I would Love to see him Win the Title on his very Last Crucible appearence, now that, would be something Special.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The match they've been bigging up all week Williams vs. Hendry is underway. Who do y'all think will win ? I think Hendry will have the edge in this one although it could go either way.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Williams is 5-3 up at the end of the first session. Still a long way to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I fear for Hendry I really do.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doherty is beating Higgins 8-0

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprising after seeing Doherty vs. Dott....then again these things can happen.

I wanted Drago to win, I like him.

Hendry has my money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ken Doherty is one of my favourite players apart for him supporting Man U he's a nice player to watch.

ARNIE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hunter's looking pretty good.

Disco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a bet on Ebdon myself. He's done well to hang onto Hunter and considering he could have went 5-3 down, he has done extremely well to come out of the first session 4-4. I hate his character, but his Mental strength is great, and he's not a bad Break-Builder either. The fact that he never gives in no matter what will give me more for my Money, I feel...Besides, I had nothing better to do that day

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its now 10-0 to Doherty. Weird

Disco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn! Did ya know they were giving 2000/1 for Doherty beating Higgins 13-0, well, someone must have done it when they were pissed or something. Geez...

Doherty always surprises me. One Minute he is playing absolute Garbage, and the next he looks as though he's never gonna miss a ball. He's probably the best Tactical player in the game as it is already so you have to feel that he has a very good chance of winning the Championship this year...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn! Did ya know they were giving 2000/1 for Doherty beating Higgins 13-0, well, someone must have done it when they were pissed or something. Geez...

Doherty always surprises me. One Minute he is playing absolute Garbage, and the next he looks as though he's never gonna miss a ball. He's probably the best Tactical player in the game as it is already so you have to feel that he has a very good chance of winning the Championship this year...
    Doherty always surprises me as well thats why I think he's one of my favourite players. You can never count him out but he isn't so arrogant like Ebdon.

It was so great to see a playre like Doherty win the title.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some questions to ask everyone who visits this thread regularly.....

At home, do you have a 6 ft by 3 ft table? if yes...
    Whats your highest break? on the small table

Are you a member of a club? if yes ....
    How often do you get to play?
    and Whats your highest break?
    Have you ever won any tournaments?

Cheers

*edit* sorry about posting twice in a row

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got one of the shitty smallest ones you get out of Argos at my mums house, I'm not sure of the measurements of it though. I once cleared from the brown to the black on it!

I've only played on a full sized table once and that was a complete disaster, I don't think I even got 2 pots in a row.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At home, do you have a 6 ft by 3 ft table? if yes...
    Whats your highest break? on the small table

Are you a member of a club? if yes ....
    How often do you get to play?
    and Whats your highest break?
    Have you ever won any tournaments?

Cheers

I've got a 6x3 table at home in the garage. Don't play it regularly tho, if i'm a bit bored i might go and have a few breaks, or if my mates are round we'll have a few games, but not very often. My highest break on that is 38 (4 red/black and 1 red/blue, i remember it well because i still lost the frame. My uncle is a killer player!)

To answer your other questions i'm not a member of a club, but i do play about 3 times a week. Or at least i did up untill a few weeks ago anyway; i used to go to a snooker club after uni with my friend a few times a week up untill term finished, but it's not a membership club or anything. The tables are in quite good condition but the cues are drastic.

My highest break on a full size table is 36 (3 red/black 2 red/blue), but i've strung 11 pots together on the lower colours before. I'm nowhere near as consistent as i should be after playing for this long though; sometimes i'll be lucky to walk away with a high break of 9 for the day, whereas other times i'll have a few in the 20's.

---

Concerning the championship, i'm backing Mark Williams for no reason other than the fact that he's left handed. Plus once he's won the frame he stops caring and goes for risky pots, which i like better than watching people aiming for high breaks, which are practically meaningless to anybody but themselves once the frame has already been won (unless it's for a high break cash prize, obviously)

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    22 is my highest break and I have done it twice
    3 reds, 2 pinks and a black
    and
    brown, blue, pink and black.

I am not very good and I only play 3-4 times a year. Usually just after championships on TV.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another near 147 for Higgins.