User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You mad?

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The idea behind Mt. Rushmore is more about ppl who contributed most to the growth and development of something rather than who was the best at something. Originally my WWE Mt. Rushmore was Hogan, Austin, Rock and Cena. It changed to Rocca, Rogers, Kowalski/Valentine and Sammartino.

Mentioned
    372 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remembered another one: Gallows & Anderson suck.

Also everyone in Undisputed Era were the fucking worst and I am so glad none of them are in WWE anymore.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post

Also everyone in Undisputed Era were the fucking worst and I am so glad none of them are in WWE anymore.
    Luke Gallows is on the Mt Rushmore of dudes who do the absolute least, yet always collect a paycheck. That man has been employed by every major wrestling organization for the last 18 years and he just keeps getting away with it.

all time legendary worker.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Fake Kane
    Festus
    Luke Gallows
    DOC in TNA
    Doc Gallows in NJPW
    back to WWE
    back to IMPACT, with some side gigs in AEW
    Back to WWE to show up once a month in backstage segments

Who is a better worker than that? Go ahead and name me anyone who can collect millions of dollars for this long while never having a single memorable match. Well, there was that time that he had a match so bad that Antonio Inoki stormed the ring and forced the ref to throw the match out. That was memorable, I guess.

Mentioned
    463 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget he's also one sexy hunk of man meat.

Mentioned
    372 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero! View Post
    Luke Gallows is on the Mt Rushmore of dudes who do the absolute least, yet always collect a paycheck. That man has been employed by every major wrestling organization for the last 18 years and he just keeps getting away with it.

all time legendary worker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero! View Post
    Fake Kane
    Festus
    Luke Gallows
    DOC in TNA
    Doc Gallows in NJPW
    back to WWE
    back to IMPACT, with some side gigs in AEW
    Back to WWE to show up once a month in backstage segments

Who is a better worker than that? Go ahead and name me anyone who can collect millions of dollars for this long while never having a single memorable match. Well, there was that time that he had a match so bad that Antonio Inoki stormed the ring and forced the ref to throw the match out. That was memorable, I guess.
    It's fucking wild. Gotta respect him at the very least.

Mentioned
    463 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't realize that Gallows and Anderson came back in 2022 to WWE. I legit thought they just started reappearing in the last month or so.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It's fucking wild. Gotta respect him at the very least.
    Gallows, Lanny Poffo, Brutus Beefcake, and Riho. The best workers in the business.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia

100%. Especially UE, they dominated NXT for far too long, and actually were the main reason I switched off for a bit.

I also agree with your stance on Gallus, but I do feel that Joe Coffey has a bit more about him. Wolfgang and Mark Coffey? Nah.

Mentioned
    342 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    Bruno, Hogan, Austin, Reigns. Bruno built it, Hogan turned into a juggernaut, Austin revived it, and Reigns led it into it's most lucrative spell. There's an argument for Cena and maybe Rock, but I don't think they replace any of those 4.
    This is an intriguing argument.

I think in basic terms you could maybe look at it that way.

I think it’s interchangeable. For example, Reigns leading it into most lucrative spell. However the same revival argument for Austin could alsoo be used there. Different world without social media.

I’d probably maybe swap Reigns for Cena tbh. His presence, being the juggernaut after the Attitude Era plus the Make-A-Wish and just being all around ambassador probably shades Reigns IMO.

Rest I agree with.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    100%. Especially UE, they dominated NXT for far too long, and actually were the main reason I switched off for a bit.

I also agree with your stance on Gallus, but I do feel that Joe Coffey has a bit more about him. Wolfgang and Mark Coffey? Nah.
    I can’t remember which match it was exactly, but somewhere during the UE and the never-ending Gargano/Ciampa feud I had to stop watching NXT. It was like watching never-ending video game fights

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reigns maybe misses out by being absent for looooonnnnngggg stretches. While it makes it feel more important when he's there, it really drops when he's gone. And I'm not talking about his leukemia absence - I don't mind giving him a pass for that. It's his 3 year title run when he'd routinely miss months at a time that bother me. They used to strip someone of their championship if it wasn't defended at least every 30 days.

Austin just had too short a run to be considered. I'm not keeping him off for being a wife beater.

We all know how I feel about Hogan being a complete piece of crap. But it's tough to keep him off.

Bruno, Cena, Flair, and Undertaker.

Mentioned
    463 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man you leave Austin off for being a wife beater yet you leave Flair on there. why?

Mentioned
    342 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Besides that. Flair is important but don’t know if I’d call him a GOAT or anything. He’s obviously well known but not had the impact to the overall business that others have. Also being the competition etc.

You’ve then got your moving pieces like Bret, Shawn, Taker et al.

I’d rate them greats but not Mt Rushmore level great.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Man you leave Austin off for being a wife beater yet you leave Flair on there. why?
    Perhaps you missed that I said "I'm NOT keeping him off for being a wife beater."

For me, to get on a Mt. Rushmore, longevity matters.

I'm being cheeky putting Flair above Hogan, because I know both guys are garbage. I should probably put Andre on there over Flair.

Mentioned
    463 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah but what Austin did in 4 or 5 years trumps what most guys do in 10 years.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's why it's hard to compare different eras. Andre was as big a draw as there was in his era. While he was portrayed mostly as a freak show, it was special to see him in person. There will never be another Andre because modern medicine can treat the condition he had, but he was perhaps the first global superstar.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't get the disdain for the number of championships. I think they have an okay amount that isn't too crazy. Then again, I'm a more championships the better kind of person, if done in a good way.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I’m a less is more kinda guy. People need to have feuds for actual storyline reasons and not just feud over belts.

WWE isn’t in too bad of shape because they have a brand split that limits the number of titles on each show. AEW has way too many belts on its own, but all the NJPW, CMLL, AAA, and ROH belts gotta go.

Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you get to the point where you have multiple championships that can go for months being irrelevant to your brand, you have too many.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The fact that Cody Rhodes is currently holding 2 world titles actually infuriates me. WWE refuse to deactivate the Universal title and I don’t know why.

Im glad they split the tag belts because those were easily going towards irrelevancy.

I would say they should merge the US and IC belts, but those belts both have SO much history behind them. I’d hate to see one go.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m going to be honest here and, I’ve long since accepted that I’m well in the minority here which is fine, I don’t care about storylines or mic skills or anything of that nature. They can create great iconic moments and that’s nice, but I don’t need them. I’m watching for the matches. Sometimes all of that stuff can be boring and like they felt like they needed a storyline because it’s expected of them.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WWXChairman View Post
    I’m going to be honest here and, I’ve long since accepted that I’m well in the minority here which is fine, I don’t care about storylines or mic skills or anything of that nature. They can create great iconic moments and that’s nice, but I don’t need them. I’m watching for the matches. Sometimes all of that stuff can be boring and like they felt like they needed a storyline because it’s expected of them.
    The crazy thing is I bet if you listed your top 10 matches of all time the majority would have a great story, great characters, and just so happen to have a great match because of those things. I've never in 35+ years of being a fan met a wrestling fan who wasn't in some way emotionally invested in at least one wrestler. Look...I can watch 2 completely unknown wrestlers and if it's a good match I'll stay invested. But again, if you thought about your favorite matches, there's SOMETHING going on there. The whole mic skills argument is what it is. Me personally I just want wrestlers to sound natural, I don't care if they're as witty as The Rock or mysterious as Bray Wyatt. If you can sound like a human being reacting naturally and/or coming from the heart with your performance...cool. If not, as long as we're not constantly exposed to shitty mic work you can probably get by with what you do in the ring. Look at a guy like Ricochet. Made millions and it was mostly due to his ring work.

Mentioned
    342 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    The crazy thing is I bet if you listed your top 10 matches of all time the majority would have a great story, great characters, and just so happen to have a great match because of those things. I've never in 35+ years of being a fan met a wrestling fan who wasn't in some way emotionally invested in at least one wrestler. Look...I can watch 2 completely unknown wrestlers and if it's a good match I'll stay invested. But again, if you thought about your favorite matches, there's SOMETHING going on there. The whole mic skills argument is what it is. Me personally I just want wrestlers to sound natural, I don't care if they're as witty as The Rock or mysterious as Bray Wyatt. If you can sound like a human being reacting naturally and/or coming from the heart with your performance...cool. If not, as long as we're not constantly exposed to shitty mic work you can probably get by with what you do in the ring. Look at a guy like Ricochet. Made millions and it was mostly due to his ring work.
    Agree with this.

I mean quality wrestling matches are fiiiine but for me personally, wrestling/sports entertainment is a form of escapism from real life so need that extra something like a good angle/storyline to be invested in the characters.

A gooood match on its own I’ll remember on the night, but without the extras like build-up and storylines, I’m probably going to forget it pretty soon. So will majority of crowds probably. They need more to stay invested otherwise they’ll probably not remember either.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    this is the second time in a month that I’ve seen a ND post that I agree with.

wtf is happening.

Mentioned
    342 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also according to Meltzer (so automatically taking this with not a pinch but a BUCKET of salt!), WWE currently have no plans for Nakamura:

“ As per reports, WWE does not have plans for Shinsuke Nakamura. There is no storyline for the Japanese legend.

"I think he’s probably fine getting that big pay check and surfing and doing jiu-jitsu," Dave Meltzer said on WON.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    My taste in wrestling has changed massively over the last few years. For example, back in 2006, got heavily into ROH and was getting the DVDs sent over via airmail from the states. Initially for the ROH/CZW feud, but that was also an incredible time for ROH for in-ring talent. They had Danielson, Joe, Styles, Aries, Strong, The Briscoes, McGuinness, Lethal, James Gibson, Homicide, Daniels, KENTA to name a few. Was loving it.

Then recently went back to watch one of the shows, and the mere thought of watching Bryan Danielson wrestle Roderick Strong for nearly an hour on like 3 different occasions has me thinking of sleep. Long matches for the sake of long matches really irritates me now. And that was essentially what ROH was. And also, trying to listen to those shows now I find very hard. The commentary is God awful. It comes through so loud and the voices grate on me. Though also listening back to Attitude era Jim Ross is hard as well for me because he's screaming all the time. I've gotten old, I know.

So what I'm getting at is, in 2024, give me WWE over AEW/ROH any day. Love the overall package that WWE gives you.

Combination of my tastes changing and WWE improving massively and AEW dipping a bit as well, I'd say.

May go and sell off my ROH DVD collection now, though I still think the ROH/CZW feud was great fun.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can respect good mic and crowd work and a good story is nice, but I really don’t feel like it’s necessary. There’s nothing wrong with a guy wanting to be champion because he’s a wrestler and wants to be at the top.

Mentioned
    342 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WWXChairman View Post
    I can respect good mic and crowd work and a good story is nice, but I really donít feel like itís necessary. Thereís nothing wrong with a guy wanting to be champion because heís a wrestler and wants to be at the top.
    Nothing wrong with it as such.

However youíd have to be a really good wrestler for that to stand out. With the array of talent on the roster, itís really difficult to stand out on ring work alone so you need those extra elements to the character basically.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Itís true that everyone on the roster has good ring work, in my opinion. So, I guess the problem is that WWE has no system to differentiate people and thatís why stories need to be put in place. Maybe something where they highlight wins and losses more. They point out win/loss streaks all the time, but a guy on a serious losing streak still isnít precluded from championship opportunities.

Intercontinental Champion Jitters's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With great faces of the company there were many great heels too to help them carry that and they need recognition too.