User Tag List

Thread: Grind Your Gears: Wrestling Edition

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grind Your Gears: Wrestling Edition

Inspired by Nash's thread in Sexy time with mth

This is a space to just rant on something that bugs you. Maybe for no good reason. But it still annoys the shit out of you.
    It's mostly judgement free. Unless it's not.

At the Rumble, Psych brought up a phrase that he hates. And then I brought up two of mine.

The first is:

"In his/her own right". Often used by announcer saying something like "Bianca Belair....a former champion in her own right". Who is challenging her rights? How is she different than any other former champion, and what different rights does she have? She's just a former champion. It doesn't need rights based qualification.

"No love lost between these two".
    "Look at the two of them go. No Love Lost between these two former partners". Often this is said when there is significant love lost. And typically at least some has been lost. It would be one thing if it retained a little irony in delivery. But it's delivered with the same tone as a literal statement. A phrase that has been used generically for dislike. "Here's Jey and Jimmy....no love lost between these two". What?

What wrestling things grind your gears?

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HOSPITAL not medical facility!

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
    Inspired by Nash's thread in Sexy time with mth

This is a space to just rant on something that bugs you. Maybe for no good reason. But it still annoys the shit out of you.
    It's mostly judgement free. Unless it's not.

At the Rumble, Psych brought up a phrase that he hates. And then I brought up two of mine.

The first is:

"In his/her own right". Often used by announcer saying something like "Bianca Belair....a former champion in her own right". Who is challenging her rights? How is she different than any other former champion, and what different rights does she have? She's just a former champion. It doesn't need rights based qualification.

"No love lost between these two".
    "Look at the two of them go. No Love Lost between these two former partners". Often this is said when there is significant love lost. And typically at least some has been lost. It would be one thing if it retained a little irony in delivery. But it's delivered with the same tone as a literal statement. A phrase that has been used generically for dislike. "Here's Jey and Jimmy....no love lost between these two". What?

What wrestling things grind your gears?

That's almost as bad as Caito taking issue with the drive thru being used by able bodied people.

I kid I just had to dig up that horse and beat it one more for good measure.

You know what grinds my gears? The shitty music they use to promote their shows. They have a couple good acts, I just heard The Weeknd getting the Mania theme again which is cool his music is nice. But I'm also longing for the days of the metal/rock bands they used to use. I'm even thinking about how shitty the Raw theme has become with the subpar rap songs. It'd be one thing if you had something that went hard.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - Also the overusage of “Nine..(after sprawling the first nine seconds)….conveniently slides back into the ring on time.
    - Certain camera cuts are just awful.

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post

That's almost as bad as Caito taking issue with the drive thru being used by able bodied people.

You know what grinds my gears? The shitty music they use to promote their shows. They have a couple good acts, I just heard The Weeknd getting the Mania theme again which is cool his music is nice. But I'm also longing for the days of the metal/rock bands they used to use. I'm even thinking about how shitty the Raw theme has become with the subpar rap songs. It'd be one thing if you had something that went hard.
    I still think Nickleback was the beginning of the end.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When a guy goes for a lazy cover, hooks a leg but makes no attempt whatsoever to pin their opponent's shoulders, leading to the no-surprise kickout.

Tag match where the face-in-peril has to pretend he is too tired to tag, and has to drop to the ground to crawl to build to the hot tag.

Royal Rumble participants who go over the top, land on the apron, then wait there to be kicked out to the floor. Get the F back into the ring, idiot!

Anyone who enters a Royal Rumble and doesn't immediately slide out under the bottom rope to simply wait for the other participants to eliminate each other.

Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    So many things. I am sure I will keep coming back to this thread.

How slow people are going up ladders while looking around to make sure that someone is coming for the next spot.

Not to say I don't love a good ladder match and this is not always a thing but it happens too much.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steel cage matches. Though it does produce exciting finishes, it makes climbing the cage logically pointless. You could just beat the shit out of the other guy then just say “Yo ref open the door!” Done.

Also the way they slowly ascend the cage waiting for someone to pull them down.

Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Steel cage matches. Though it does produce exciting finishes, it makes climbing the cage logically pointless. You could just beat the shit out of the other guy then just say “Yo ref open the door!” Done.
    Yeah I am not a fan of just being able to walk out the door. Beat the shit of your opponent and climb out of the cage already.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the sake of brining this full circle, my pet peeve phrase is "mugging." I get that it TECHNICALLY can mean a public attack, but I think most of us would agree that socially it's understood specifically as an attack that coincides with being robbed. In fact, I'd associate it with the act of being robbed more than any physical violence attached to it. So to hear Cole(and I think I've even heard Excalibur say it) constantly refer to any beat down as a "mugging" feels so disconnected from the actual term.

This is particular to WWE, but I hate that most of their songs have a trap beat, complete with the clink-y snare that's so common in a lot of it. It's not the style, but the fact that it feels like every other entrance theme has it and it makes it so none of them stand out.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With one or two exceptions, every time they remodel/introduce a new belt it turns out to be gash and worse than it was.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The steel stairs and chairs. The stairs are probably aluminum. And it doesn't make it more impressive or cool that the chairs are steel please it's OK if it's just a folding chair

Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol fucking what kid…..

Heres something that is not wrestling wise I hate. The idea of “living rent free” in someone’s head. An absolutely moronic phrase that is overused and usually pretty stupid……

But good lord, how that has burned itself into your very psyche that you feel the need to randomly bring it up out of nowhere (and this is HARDLY the first time) is absolutely astonishing. And also, honestly, a little sad. I may as well have a bloody mansion in that brain of yours. I thought the big tough guy of Rajah was better than this. Be better Nash. Please, for us.

And most importantly…. For yourself.

Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Llettuce View Post
    The steel stairs and chairs. The stairs are probably aluminum. And it doesn't make it more impressive or cool that the chairs are steel please it's OK if it's just a folding chair
    But steel means it hurts more right.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd also add crowd counting. Particularly with Cesaro/Claudio's swing. They follow a rhythm instead of following what they actually see.

Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho666Soldier View Post
    I'd also add crowd counting. Particularly with Cesaro/Claudio's swing. They follow a rhythm instead of following what they actually see.
    Yeah I am all for out hot crowd but sometimes the counting is just like way off on something like that.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How everyone taking a frog splash manages to get themselves in precise position, supine, perfectly perpendicular to the diagonal corner-to-corner line, both arms stuck to their sides, etc.) for it. Most of the time the camera focus is on the guy climbing the outside corner, but its laughable how the guy wasn't close to that position before. I know the crowd will always pop for a good frog splash, but come on now, with so many guys doing this move now, there's a better than even chance most weeks that someone who won't quite be in perfect position beforehand, will find their way to taking the splash.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MTR View Post
    Yeah I am all for out hot crowd but sometimes the counting is just like way off on something like that.
    It even happens when there's a countdown on the screens like at the Rumble, sometimes even then they still end up counting too fast and are often at zero before the counter is...

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caito View Post
    Lol fucking what kid…..

Heres something that is not wrestling wise I hate. The idea of “living rent free” in someone’s head. An absolutely moronic phrase that is overused and usually pretty stupid……

But good lord, how that has burned itself into your very psyche that you feel the need to randomly bring it up out of nowhere (and this is HARDLY the first time) is absolutely astonishing. And also, honestly, a little sad. I may as well have a bloody mansion in that brain of yours. I thought the big tough guy of Rajah was better than this. Be better Nash. Please, for us.

And most importantly…. For yourself.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    It even happens when there's a countdown on the screens like at the Rumble, sometimes even then they still end up counting too fast and are often at zero before the counter is...
    You can ask Mazer about the rumble countdown lol

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me place an elephant into this very room….The WHAT? chant during promos. It was fun to begin with but not unlike the Simpsons wore out it’s welcome over 20 years ago.

Occasionally wrestlers handle it awesomely like Taker “Say what if you sleep with your own sister!” and yet they still do it!

Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol nah son. I simply had multiple ppl tell me you brought it up yet again, in a very dumbfounded way. Such as a “wow, can you believe he brought this up for no reason to beat a dead horse in a non related wrestling thread” way (that’s an actual paraphrase btw). So Inhad to pop in and see for myself, and it made me laugh out loud.

not like laugh with you, but the more obvious laugh at you way. Which is essentially what was done when it was brought to my attention anyhow.

Apologies all. Nash has never gotten over my bashing what I can only assume is a family legacy. Continue with your grinding of wrestling gears. (Mine is why the fuck am I supposed to care and fear a probably 160 pound soaking wet dude with a name stolen from Peter Pan)

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can ask Mazer about the rumble countdown lol
    I did my best

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But when I have more rhythm and timing than a majority of people…..

The battle is already lost

Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine
    I've got it in my head that the WWE commentary team overuse 'transpired' rather than 'happened' but I haven't watched in a fair while so that may have changed.
    That spot in tag matches where the guy goes for the partner outside the ring, and usually knocks them off the apron.
    Overuse of interruptions during interviews.

And if you're a babyface and you see the heel come out with their faction, don't go to the ring alone (at least Best Friends have the right idea)

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Wrestlers who shimmy into place

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Here comes the calvary..." CAVALRY

To The Face
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rumble participants being eliminated by someone who was previously eliminated, or not even in the match

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Irish whips make no sense

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yuta

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It grinds my gears that triple threats, four ways, five ways, etc., aren't elimination matches. I think you could do so much more with the matches if those were stipulations. It would also allow for them to do away with the No DQ, not countout bullshit in those matches.

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eddie Kingston's patty-cake machine gun chops. I have probably not hated a move this much since Xpac was doing the Bronco Buster.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eddie Kingston's patty-cake machine gun chops. I have probably not hated a move this much since Xpac was doing the Bronco Buster.
    Yeah I hate those too.

In fact chops in general get used a bit too much at times. Sure you get your wooos from the crowd but sometimes it’s like chopfest sequence chopfest sequence then back to chopfest at times. Gets a little repetitive for the sake of woooooos.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's worse....Eddie Kingston's bullshit chops or Naomi's dogshit leg kick spot?

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's worse....Eddie Kingston's bullshit chops or Naomi's dogshit leg kick spot?
    Oh …..Kingston’s. No question.

Given his overall style, move set, the selling required (particularly given the match style he’s typically working)…. There is nothing redeemable.

Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Wrestlers wearing their normal gear for a street fight. It’s anything goes street fight. Dress for a fight. Hell put weapons in your pockets lol wear a belt to use. Probably just me but yeah bugs the hell out of me.

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should wear full plate armour. they've literally had months to prepare most times.