Thread: DC Gunnverse

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany

DC Gunnverse

Gunn has made his announcement today. A lot more projects than I realized would be coming out. There are already heavy rumors Gunn will be bring Pratt over for Booster Gold and due to the fact this project seemingly leaked over Batman's new take leaves me to believe this could be true. I'm sure @Nash Diesel will be pumped for Swamp Thing.

Anywho, here's some links.

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status...zbXp28ECw&s=19

https://www.axios.com/2023/01/31/jam...n-new-dc-slate

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm here for it.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought his video was great. I'm not a comic book geek so I don't know about most of the stuff he was revealing but the presentation was on point, like a Nintendo Direct. He communicated it well - now he just needs to execute the plan with actually good movies/shows. My understanding of what he said is that the DCEU (Snyderverse, whatever) will still be canon but The Flash will reset everything (with a multiversal shift or whatever). A soft reboot as opposed to simply erasing everything before it, with The Flash and Aquaman 2 seemingly bridging the gap between old and new.

But virms, Gunnaverse is a cringe worthy thread title I must say.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shit I kept reading it as GUNNVERSE not even seeing the A. The kills it but all good.

I haven't watched the video just yet but I just hope we get more Watchmen. I don't care about anything else when it comes to the live action stuff. Animated they couldn't fuck up if they even tried. Their worst is still better than most of the live action movies.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SWAMP THING HORROR MOVIE LET'S FUCKING GO.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    I thought his video was great. I'm not a comic book geek so I don't know about most of the stuff he was revealing but the presentation was on point, like a Nintendo Direct. He communicated it well - now he just needs to execute the plan with actually good movies/shows. My understanding of what he said is that the DCEU (Snyderverse, whatever) will still be canon but The Flash will reset everything (with a multiversal shift or whatever). A soft reboot as opposed to simply erasing everything before it, with The Flash and Aquaman 2 seemingly bridging the gap between old and new.

But virms, Gunnaverse is a cringe worthy thread title I must say.
    Gunnverse just sounded bland. Almost all the verses have two syllables. Snyderverse, arrowverse, multiverse, etc.

Also rumors the main villain for superman will be Lobo. Which, fuck yeah. About time. Also said to be played by mamoa as he will be done with this version of aquamarine.
    @mth you can change it to The Gunnverse. Putting a the in front of it makes it possible.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Losing the A makes it a little better since it no longer sounds like trap rapper Gunna’s next album but I’m still not feeling it. DC Universe or if you want to reference JG then James Gunn’s DC Universe. Just my 2 cents.

RIP DCEU. I’d say it was a good run but let’s be honest, it wasn’t.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Losing the A makes it a little better since it no longer sounds like trap rapper Gunna’s next album but I’m still not feeling it. DC Universe or if you want to reference JG then James Gunn’s DC Universe. Just my 2 cents.

They might go with DC universe but you got flash coming soon which is going to go full multiverse and change everything. They are naming content outside of gunn's stuff elsewords.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S W AM P THIN G GG

(huge pop)

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by virms View Post
    They might go with DC universe but you got flash coming soon which is going to go full multiverse and change everything. They are naming content outside of gunn's stuff elsewords.
    they announced the name. it's the DCU, and they're breaking it into chapters like marvel does the phases, with chapter one being titled 'gods and monsters.'

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks ridiculous. obviously the big selling point here is keaton's batman returning, and this definitely has got me excited to see what they do with him.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, don’t give a single hoot about Ezra/Flash, but the Keaton/Batman stuff is the only thing keeping me intrigued. Seeing 1989 Batman again just tugs all the right nostalgia strings, and seeing (I guess) the Nolanverse Batman in the mix momentarily is cool. Supergirl looks pretty rad too in my opinion. If this trailer had a premise it would read: Flash sucks, it’s all about Batman.

Let’s see what they do, hopefully it kills off Ezra’s Barry Allen and we can start a whole new slate.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so it's Batfleck on the Batpod then and his costume is grey and blue. Ok, that's fine I guess.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    I hate that I am going to see Flash on opening night.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Flash trailer is awesome. I've been ho-hum about the MCU's use of the multiverse. I thought Loki was very good and the upcoming Kang plot looks cool, but the use of multiverse in No Way Home and Multiverse of Madness was a lot of gimmicky fan fare. The Flash on the other hand looks like exactly what a multiversal superhero movie should look like. Looks like tons of fun, high stakes, and using multiversal characters in a meaningful way as opposed to cameos for the sake of cameos. That's the best superhero trailer I've seen since pre-covid.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gimmicky fan fare or not those were 2 of the best superhero movies I've ever seen especially No Way Home. There's a lot of moving parts in the MCU and they're doing it to correct the past like DC is doing. Which is funny because when DC was doing the Crisis stuff in the comics it was to try and start fresh, centralize the characters as Marvel was starting to kick their ass again with the return of the X-Men and other revamped characters.

I also thought the CW stuff could be hard to follow at times if you weren't religiously watching all the shows at the time. So again if we're going the 80's route where they're using the multiverse to clean up the past while still acknowledging that past mind you per Gunn himself, it could be interesting and leave the door open for them to do shit like Marvel did with Days of Future Past or the MCU stuff.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clip from Flash, includes Bruce Wayne stuff.

Eghh... the dialogue is for little kids. Jesus.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's fine, ffs.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    You can tell the special effects were not done by ILM in Flash. Its a solid story, but I really don't give a shit about on the spectrum Barry Allen. I am here for Keaton Batman which was good until it wasn't.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked the story and the acting was really good, but the effects were really bad.

Also given the ending does this mean
    If so that might make it more likely that they follow Morrison's Batman run more closely than you'd expect.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Defrost View Post
    I liked the story and the acting was really good, but the effects were really bad.

Also given the ending does this mean
    If so that might make it more likely that they follow Morrison's Batman run more closely than you'd expect.
    No. The ending is a gag. It has nothing to do with anything they're planning.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got back from the movie and loved it. One of the best flicks in a long time. My theater was into it.

I mean, I get it. Miller deserves no charity. But it's actually good and one of the most memorable, standout superhero flicks in a long while. Only other recent ones that are on the same level for me are GotG3 and Wakanda Forever. It's pretty easy to see why this movie would be entertaining to a lot of people. Definitely worth the price of admission heck I may even go see it again.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't seen The Flash but I'm surprised it bombed. I thought it was going to be huge. This is a serious blow to super hero movies IMO given how this movie was hyped up. Obviously it's bad for Warner Bros specifically but with the MCU also becoming lackluster, I think it's fair to say the golden age of super hero movies is over. It was a hell of a run.

James Gunn has his work cut out for him now. Obviously The Flash wasn't his failure but its success would have set up his future movies for success.

Also it will be tough for him to manage without Batman in his universe. Warner Bros will surely throw Matt Reeves and company boatloads of cash to get them to change their mind about not allowing their Batman into the Gunnverse. Having 2 Batmans will be a likely disaster.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if the movies are good, no one is going to give a shit about there being two batman franchises running. right now we have no real idea what gunn has in mind as far as the tone for the DCU. the pattinson batman might not fit at all. considering the brave and the bold is introducing damien wayne, pattinson's batman does not seem like the direction they are going for the character.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
    if the movies are good, no one is going to give a shit about there being two batman franchises running. right now we have no real idea what gunn has in mind as far as the tone for the DCU. the pattinson batman might not fit at all. considering the brave and the bold is introducing damien wayne, pattinson's batman does not seem like the direction they are going for the character.
    that is all well and good in a world where people are clamoring for super hero movies. they aren't anymore. while I agree with your points on some level, I think it comes down to what is a "good" super hero movie? The Flash is at 64% on RT with an 84% audience score. not great, not awful. for it to flop this hard (limping towards a meager $300 million) is alarming. now you could chalk this up to being part of the dead DCEU but this movie has Keaton, it has cameos and multiverses. this movie should have done much better. the bar has been set high. it's been set high by the amazingness of the Infinity Saga, by the oversaturation of super hero movies/shows, and by the industry-wide factor that people are watching more movies at home and fewer at the cinema so they are more picky about what they see (due to home theaters, and covid).

I'm not saying the Gunnverse will suck. I think James Gunn is a good super hero filmmaker and he will put out good movies (the ones he personally makes). But his job just got that much harder. The goal here is to duplicate the MCU and create a universe that is a huge money maker with multiple hit films per year once it's up and running. Regarding Batman, I think you're underestimating a) how challenging it is to make 2 different good batmans and b) the potential for fans to be put off by a lessor Batman #2 and/or get divisive about Batman 1 vs Batman 2. I'm not saying this is a fatal flaw, but given what's happening with the sector, it's a chink in the armor that won't help reverse the trend of the currently abysmal Warner Bros DC situation.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't ignore the fact that Flash has an extremely problematic star as a major point against it, too...
    https://variety.com/2023/film/news/e...sh-1235646961/
    Last edited by mth; June 29th, 2023 at 10:37 AM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real problem is when you come out and say "These next couple movies don't matter" there's a trickle down effect.

I wonder how much of Ezra Miller's personal life factored in to the "lackluster" box office. Personally I don't think it did at all. There's been a weird stigma about the DCEU whatever the fuck Synderverse movies ever since Man of Steel. You also factor in people are catching on to how quick of a turnaround these movies are from theatre to streaming why spend all that money when you can just wait it out. Or go on Plex.

Give me the World Belt, dammit Zarius's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flash was a decent film, but it wasn't accessible to casual viewers. Some of the cameos required you to have an A-Z knowledge of DC's back catalogue, golden and silver age comics, 90s flops, Man of Steel, and a Kevin Smith chat session from the 2000s. On top of that, Ezra's marred public image and convoluted plot mechanics the characters explain through spaghetti in the movie were never going to convince anyone to see it.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im not going to spoiler tag some shit in this post, but it's about the flash, so if you care, don't read.

so im super late to watching the flash, but god damn, did i fuckin love it. i am not a fan of the synder dcu films outside of BVS, which i have defended in the past. everything in the previous dcu that snyder didnt have his hands in tended to be pretty great. the first wonder woman was awesome, i never watched the standalone aquaman but people seemed to love it and the sequel looks like it could be good, and the reboot of the suicide squad basically got us james gunn as the head honcho for dc films cause of how well it worked. i think the flash definitely falls in line with these movies moreso than any of the big synder films.

even clocking in at 2 hours and 24 minutes, the movie is very quick. im sure people have picked apart the plot in the months since it came out, but it's dizzying pace makes for a very enjoyable first watch, if you're not going in already taking notes.

there were a bunch of themes present that ended up hitting for me. the movie definitely is not invested in tying things up in a bow and delivering them to the viewer in a way that helps them digest things better. breathing room would help with that, and given the editing and flow, they clearly were never going to put that kinda take out there.

batfleck being the one to warn barry about messing with the timeline, and trying to offer him the life advice about finding a way to let go and live your life, not your past is such a wonderful contrast to keaton's bruce wayne. keaton tells barry about how he let his tragedy define who he was, to the point he didn't know who he was without it. and unlike batfleck, in a world without metahumans, keaton's batman never found an adopted family in the members of the justice league to help pull him through his unchecked grief and teach him how to let go. he had alfred, and once alfred died and gotham became one of the safest cities in the world, he had nothing. that's why he's up for indulging barry in his quest for superman and trying to get his powers back. it's a really nice bit of character work, which helps elevate keaton from just being nostalgia bait.

i also loved young barry ending up being the dark flash. that hit for me, as well.

some of the effects are very rough, but whatever. i've become so desensitized to cgi nowadays that i really couldn't care less, even when it looks amazing.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The director said CGI was supposed to bad because it's how Flash views things going at that rate of speed or something.

I enjoyed Flash. My kid was running in the movie aisles after, he loved it. I wish it did better for Keaton's Batman.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anytime someone says something that looks like shit was supposed to look like shit are just covering their ass. I used to hear it all the time when I was doing music. Oh the recording is SUPPOSED to sound like you recorded your vocal with a $10 computer mic? Riiiiight.

I did like the movie though and I've seen worse graphics.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VFX have become so routine that they don't amaze us anymore. It used to be "Wow, how did they do that? I've never seen anything like that!" Now it's "Ah the CGI isn't flawless enough."

I really liked the weathered/aged Keaton Batman. He was the main draw for me, and his performance was the best thing in the movie for me. And I didn't find Miller's performance bad or the story his character was given either.