User Tag List

Thread: Debuts & Returns: Surprise or Hype?

Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debuts & Returns: Surprise or Hype?

With Cody Rhodes' return being promoted with a series of videos and then announced fro the Rumble I thought we could discuss our thoughts/preferences as it pertains to returns and debuts being built up with vignettes or being a surprise. Do you think this was the right way for Cody to return? Or do you think it would have been better unannounced like Cena's return several years back?

What about NXT call-ups? Or the folks Triple H has brought back? Should there have been more videos introducing some of them to the audience first so they'd have cared/responded more? Or is a surprise appearance an effective way to (re)introduce someone? What about some of the big free agents out there, are they known enough by the average fan that they'll react or does someone like Jay White need some vignettes?

Is hyping a big name coming a smart move to sell tickets? Or does it take away from the "anything can happen/holy shit!" feel that sometimes seems to be missing?

Feel free to discuss some of your favorite returns/debuts and why you think they were effective or some that you think were mishandled and what you'd have done differently.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NXT-This would be a good year to test out Braun #2 and maybe Carmello in terms of the men. Women you gotta think Cora Jade and Roxanne getting a little shine would be cool

I would like to see someone from New Japan or Impact show up like they did with Mickie James. That was badass but this time, why not have it be someone that's never been in WWE? Imagine Naito showing up at the Rumble? I'm also hearing Jay White is done with New Japan...That would be pretty huge. That would be IMHO like AJ Styles' debut. That "big name" from outside the WWE.

The big shock v. advertising argument has it's pro's and con's. You hype it up you ensure people will tune in especially when we haven't had too many shocking Rumble appearances that weren't hyped. On the other hand those few truly shocking moments stand out for a reason. Triple H returning from injury back in 2002 prior the Rumble was just as big of a pop as Edge returning at the Rumble 2020. I was just watching the 1996 Rumble. There were guys like Doug Gilbert who came out to fuckin crickets so he could've used a vignette lol. Dory Funk Jr, dude was 100, nobody cared lol. Vader came out, advertised in advance, huge pop.

To The Face
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not really interested in the JBL/Corbin pairing, I wouldn't mind JBL coming in as a surprise and eliminating Corbin.

Mentioned
    517 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a little different these days for the royal rumbles.

The crowd for these is pretty plugged in. It's not like you're getting as many casuals at these ticket prices.

And we all pretty much had a good idea Cody could be coming. I think it was smart to spend a month reminding everyone of the crazy shit from spring/summer.

Moat of us probably anticipate edge. But he doesn't benefit as much from the build.

Different circumstances.

You can sneak some quick ones, but you gotta be fucking slick not to have some things leak anymore.

For debuts, unless the debut surprise is the angle *Bronson Reed, etc), I think some build and vignettes help.

Unless it's Lacey Evans, I guess.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    This next ten days will be very interesting, particularly for those of us hoping for The Rock v Roman in LA at Mania. While “Vince sells to the Saudis” has dominated the dirtsheets lately, I imagine Dwayne has quietly given Paul his decision; this is one return that you definitely want to be a surprise. If Rock is in, the “Roman Acknowledgment Ceremony” coming up on Monday will provide us with the starting point.

I feel the best way to book it would be to have Rock avoid RAW XXX, the Reigns’ followers do their thing while the announcers continuously mention the elephant in the room, er brahma bull extremely conspicuous by his absence. Saturday at the Rumble, as the clock hits zero for entrant 30, the crowd goes absolutely nuts as “If you smell…” hits the speakers.

Per Wikipedia, aside from “Red One” currently being in post-production, Dwayne seemingly only has “Young Rock” as commitments in the foreseeable future. If DJ takes one of the titles off Roman at Mania: Reigns stays protected, the company gets eyeballs through the post-Mania down period, Rock does the job for Rhodes/Owens/Zayn/whomever at MITB (London) or SummerSlam.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really just depends on the circumstances and who it is. In Cody’s case, it has been very smart of them to hype it up and remind them of his story. If Big E makes it back to the ring though, I’d love it if they made it a surprise although I also realise it’s very hard to prevent leaks these days.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as favourite debut goes….Jericho. Bischoff as well up there as stayed away from the rumours so was genuinely taken by surprise.

Kane’s in particular had the best returns. Probably have to go with Austin at Backlash 2000 as my favourite return though.

My dad pinned Mr Backlund Kneeneighbor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Greatest Debut in Wrestling!

Mentioned
    517 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jericho was an amazing debut.

The Codebreaker return was fun as well.

The Earthquake debut....I had forgotten about. Now it's also making me think of Santino Marella.

My dad pinned Mr Backlund Kneeneighbor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
    Jericho was an amazing debut.

The Earthquake debut....I had forgotten about. Now it's also making me think of Santino Marella.
    The Codebreaker return was fun as well.

Which Jericho return was it when he came out, pumped up the crowd, never said anything and left?

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best surprise debut of a wrestler, who would go on to become a champion, has to be

I also admit I enjoyed Hillbilly Jim

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shout out to Kane debut as well.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Earthquake's debut is a great memory.

Keeping it strictly WWF/E I liked Tommy Dreamer and RVD's debut. Very out of nowhere shocked the hell out of me. The return of Matt Hardy feuding with Edge and the Hardy Boyz returning at Mania, that was one of those is it a secret or not type situations.

I'll tell you when a debut/return felt a little flat and that was the nWo debuting in the WWE. I think had they shown up unannounced and possibly try to recreate Scott Hall's return to WCW back in 96 would've been cool.

Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    For me it just depends on the person and the case. Sometimes it is better to do vignettes before someone shows up to build them up if people are not familiar with them but I love a good surprise if it can be pulled off which is hard to do anymore.

I remember that Earthquake debut. I was just a kid and it caught me off guard for sure.

I was a little surprised that they didn't do Cody as a surprise at the Rumble like they did Cena but I think most of us were expecting that if he was able to get clearance so makes sense to go ahead and promote the hell out of him again.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MTR View Post
    For me it just depends on the person and the case. Sometimes it is better to do vignettes before someone shows up to build them up if people are not familiar with them but I love a good surprise if it can be pulled off which is hard to do anymore.

I remember that Earthquake debut. I was just a kid and it caught me off guard for sure.

I was a little surprised that they didn't do Cody as a surprise at the Rumble like they did Cena but I think most of us were expecting that if he was able to get clearance so makes sense to go ahead and promote the hell out of him again.
    Cena was also like 6 months ahead of schedule. Dude was supposed to be out for like 9 months, comes back in 3.

Cody is right on schedule and I liken this to Triple H returning prior to the 2002 Rumble.

Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Cody is early as well. Not as early as Cena but early still as they pointed out in the video package announcing him in the Rumble.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cody is early as well. Not as early as Cena but early still as they pointed out in the video package announcing him in the Rumble.
    Not by 6 months though. I think Cody's recovery time was 6-8 months and he's back in 7.

Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I said not as early as Cena. You said he was on time and I was pointing out he was early.

Mentioned
    517 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard to compare any WWE comeback to Cena. That was nuts.

Cena's was some - Adrian Peterson tears the ACL and MCL on Christmas Eve, and is ready week 1 and has an all-time season - level shit.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I said not as early as Cena. You said he was on time and I was pointing out he was early.
    I mean technically he was on time. The recovery time given was 6-8 months and he's back in less than 7 so he's either late or early, you pick lol.

Cena's was some - Adrian Peterson tears the ACL and MCL on Christmas Eve, and is ready week 1 and has an all-time season - level shit.
    I think what makes it stand out, especially for some of us older fans, is that Cena was getting those heavy 50/50 responses but EVERYONE, in the smarkest town on earth, popped hard.

What about when Austin returned and beat the shit out of everyone in the Alliance?

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's like the gold standard of this general era, so it's definitely going to be hard to beat.

As for Cody (who would definitely give Cena's a run for its money), we got our AEW CM Punk-like implied surprise debut - via First Dance - (but still a damn good surprise) for him at Mania so we really didn't need to rehash that for what was already assumed to be his target return date at the Rumble. I think the idea of him not being a surprise could maybe present an optimistic viewpoint from creative's side that he doesn't need to be a surprise because they may already have good or fun ones in the chamber.

It's always going to be trial and error with what works best for talent appearing across all of the platforms. They'll always be second-guessed as well. Just the nature of the beast now. It's ideal if you hit it out of the park with a debut but it doesn't mean you're sunk if it doesn't work out (looking at you Max Dupri).

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually yeah that Cena turn was the shit. The music, the lowering of head followed by the shit-eating grin and pop. It’s marvellous.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you can make the smarkiest crowd on Earth forget they hated you 3 months prior....This is the point where we found out just how fickle we can be as fans lol.