User Tag List

Thread: Avatar: The Way of Water

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This movie is going to be huge so I figured I'd make a thread on it. I don't have tickets yet but I plan to see it in IMAX - true IMAX, not the fake-ass IMAX with a mid-sized screen that some multiplexes have. Gotta go big for this one.

Avatar 3 was filmed simultaneously with Avatar 2, and is scheduled for release in December 2024. So we will at least get these 2 sequels. Whether they're a success or not will determine if James Cameron gets his wish to make #4 and #5.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I'm sure it will look somewhere between exquisite and mindblowing, but of course the paint by numbers story will be what it is and that's just a tough sell overall for me.

Read a take the other day I thought was at least a little interesting, and it's along the lines of the unfortunate irony of a film with it's hard environmentalist pitch also having a production gargantuan enough to perhaps exterminate a small species or two in it's wake. Hyperbole at the end there, but I think it's a fair bit of thinking.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoever had that take is a complete moron. I don't see the irony. The irony would be they're killing the environment making this movie.

Anyway.....I'm all about Avatar 2. I do wonder if the 13 year gap is going to have any effect on the box office and overall appeal. I mean, people went back out to see when they re-released it trying to win back the top spot from Avengers like 10 years after the original so there has to be a pretty big fanbase patiently waiting.

It looks awesome, tons of action, there's a message or two that people can get out of it as well so that's a bonus.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Whoever had that take is a complete moron. I don't see the irony. The irony would be they're killing the environment making this movie.
    So species play a huge role in the envir..

..eh, ain't worth it.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The point is there's no irony in what he was saying it was just a stupid take lol. "Science"

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Cool..

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m with Nash, I don’t understand the intended irony. I guess spending $400 million on a movie is supposed to make a few species go extinct? They probably shot it all in water tanks with green screens. Not like they were destroying coral reef to get their scenes done.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    The comment wasn't specifically about extinct species, I was paraphrasing and thought I'd made it clear about about the hyperbole of the species part in particular.

It was more about a film so hell bent of preaching environmentalism coming with arguably one of the biggest production hauls in cinema history and the kind of 'carbon footprint' that will inherently come with that. I used quotation marks on purpose because I'm not speaking specifically about carbon. I also tried to make note of the earlier hyperbole, but ya.

I'm sure they use green screens, lots of them no doubt. But they also probably travel quite a bit and I doubt they do so with an economic entourage, quite the opposite of course. Bottom line the unavoidable resources used to make a film of this scale and size and grandeur with it's massive cast and production crews and equipment etc while trying to tell everyone how important not harming the environment is, that's really the gist of the comment at hand. And I think it was done a little tongue in cheek but not without some honesty to it.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
    The comment wasn't specifically about extinct species, I was paraphrasing and thought I'd made it clear about about the hyperbole of the species part in particular.

It was more about a film so hell bent of preaching environmentalism coming with arguably one of the biggest production hauls in cinema history and the kind of 'carbon footprint' that will inherently come with that. I used quotation marks on purpose because I'm not speaking specifically about carbon. I also tried to make note of the earlier hyperbole, but ya.

I'm sure they use green screens, lots of them no doubt. But they also probably travel quite a bit and I doubt they do so with an economic entourage, quite the opposite of course. Bottom line the unavoidable resources used to make a film of this scale and size and grandeur with it's massive cast and production crews and equipment etc while trying to tell everyone how important not harming the environment is, that's really the gist of the comment at hand. And I think it was done a little tongue in cheek but not without some honesty to it.
    Not trying to belabor the point but this 2014 video was James Cameron addressing said criticism.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When it comes to movies like this that have an underlying message, there will always be people out there trying to marginalize it. Oh they're spending $400 million on production look at what that would do to a tiny species! Who cares lol. It's like, even if it was done in jest why even make the comment and be a dick? @Percussion not saying YOU just that person. It's all good either way. I hope everyone goes and checks it out. I'm just curious if it will do as well or in the same ballpark as the first. I doubt it but you never know! Look at the first Avengers and the last.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this movie will gross more than $2 billion worldwide. 5 movies have done that in history. Cameron was quoted saying something to the effect that it needs to get to $2 billion to break even financially. Avatar 1 did $2.9 billion including its latest re-release. Endgame did a notch below $2.8. I don't think Way of Water will reach Endgame's gross but I think it'll join the 2-billy club. Early reviews and box office reports are very positive.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first was only 1 of 2 movies I've ever seen in 3D. The first was Freddy's Dead back when I was like 8 lol. Thanks Ma!

I would like to go see this one and soak up the full experience. The only shit part is I wear glasses (contacts always bothered me for some reason) so it's weird putting on the 3D glasses over my own since I'm blind as fuck without them.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    The first was only 1 of 2 movies I've ever seen in 3D. The first was Freddy's Dead back when I was like 8 lol. Thanks Ma!

I would like to go see this one and soak up the full experience. The only shit part is I wear glasses (contacts always bothered me for some reason) so it's weird putting on the 3D glasses over my own since I'm blind as fuck without them.
    I'm in the same position with glasses. Contacts also always bothered me (I think it's due to my astigmatism) so I'm a daily glasses-wearer. I do own contacts however, which I use for if I'm playing sports or occasional social functions. In the past I've done double-glasses with 3D movies but I think I'll need to remind myself to put the contacts in for this one.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Not trying to belabor the point but this 2014 video was James Cameron addressing said criticism.

That was pretty cool, glad you posted it as I'd certainly never seen it. Also good to hear Cameron et al are at least to some degree practicing what they preach.

And really I think it only makes the original comment more valid in it's inherent message. Like you said, as did Cameron in that video, that this was a response to criticism from the first film, because it is kinda shit to tell a population they need to do better while you while do the status quo - and then some - while raking in insane amounts of cash for your efforts. Kudos to him for having a responsible answer.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think trying to correlate it with destroying a small species was just a prime example of trying to marginalize the impact of Avatar and the franchise itself. Anything that makes that kind of money is going to be met with oddball takes. Everyone wants a billionaire to be a hypocrite and it doesn't need to be that deep lol.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw this yesterday in a super legit IMAX cinema. I hadn’t been to IMAX since pre covid and I forgot just how big the screen is. Legit think it was 3 stories tall. True IMAX is so worth the price of admission. I missed out on Top Gun earlier this year so I’m glad I got out to see avatar in this format.

Anyway the movie was very good. Visually stunning. Solid enough plot. Basically you can copy and paste your reviews of avatar 1 because it’s the same kind of experience. The under water shots were so beautiful.

James Cameron is a technical master and spending 3 hours in pandora is a blast. This is well on its way to the $2 billion mark. We’ll see how high it goes because so far it’s not slowing. My theater was packed and sold out.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My best friend saw it last night, said the underwater stuff was incredible. Very excited to see this, probably go this coming weekend or the next.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    How vital is rewatching the 1st one to seeing the 2nd? I watched the first one when it came out but it was a one and done for me. I don't really remember very much of it at all.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virms View Post
    How vital is rewatching the 1st one to seeing the 2nd? I watched the first one when it came out but it was a one and done for me. I don't really remember very much of it at all.
    Not vital. If you remember the 3 key character outcomes, you're good.

(I'll spoil this but it's just describing what happened to the characters at the end of AVATAR 1):