Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forgotten Tag-Teams

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    Man, I think I've only seen Vince and Gorilla do commentary together once or twice. Seemed to me they were more or less competing to see who could be more hyped and shout the loudest..
    haha it was a weird dynamic and I'll be honest I wasn't a fan. Vince and another babyface whether that was Piper, Monsoon, Savage, it felt off. Vince and a heel like Perfect, Lawler, Ventura, Heenan, those were great pairings.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Yeah, Vince and Jesse is one of my favorite pairings ever after Gorilla/Ventura and Gorilla/Heenan (obviously). I remember seeing Gorilla and JR doing commentary a few times as well and their styles completely clashed. The ultimate sports entertainment guy together with a guy going on about Danny Hodge and college football credentials, meh.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Vince and Jesse is one of my favorite pairings ever after Gorilla/Ventura and Gorilla/Heenan (obviously). I remember seeing Gorilla and JR doing commentary a few times as well and their styles completely clashed. The ultimate sports entertainment guy together with a guy going on about Danny Hodge and college football credentials, meh.
    I wish I could remember which Colliseum home video that's on the Network that I watched where it was them doing the commentary. It was very strange. Strange hearing JR call matches with guys that weren't around very long when he got there and weird hearing Monsoon and him together. JR was still that NWA/WCW sports announcer he hadn't found his niche in WWF just yet.

I was a huge fan of Vince, King, and JR. Especially when the Attitude Era started to unfold and Vince was kind of the mediator for King and Ross.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Probably an extension of the Mixed Tag thing they had going on, but I really enjoyed the pairing of Goldust and Mandy Rose.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Probably an extension of the Mixed Tag thing they had going on, but I really enjoyed the pairing of Goldust and Mandy Rose.
    Those were great tournaments.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatamaneuver!!!

One two he got him noooooooo!!!

Unbelievable!!!

Commentary Vince was great.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JR/Heyman too was a great pairing.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yes they were, I remember they challenged for the tag titles at One Night Stand 2005, I think.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about Razor Ramon and Savio Vega? I wasn't a huge Savio fan but I liked the story of him and Razor being friends.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would’ve been cool if the team were able to keep going longer than they did.

I always had a soft spot for Savio. I think it might be as I saw him as an underdog needing the big win. I marked huge when it looked like he beat Goldust for the IC title only for Monsoon to strike it from the record.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    He was ok, no Kwang but just ok.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been watching a lot of 1994-1995 WCW/WWF wrestling over the last week or so and it's obvious why I had one foot in pro wrestling and the other going into UFC/MMA. Some of the decisions and gimmicks are just so fucking terrible. I'm like why the big push for Mabel and not Savio?

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess is maybe Mabel's size he was a more convincing challenger. Also, WWE didn't have enough strong top heels then.

Mentioned
    498 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really, there are two tag teams that are the most forgotten:

1. The Forgotten Sons
    2. That one team who did the thing at the time at the place.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
    Really, there are two tag teams that are the most forgotten:

1. The Forgotten Sons
    I prefer number 2 to number 1.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you're mixing them up with that other team, who came close that other time but couldn't pull it off. At the time, I was sure everyone would be super excited next time they got together, but for some reason I guess it wasn't meant to be. I may be confused but I think they tried replacing the one guy with that other guy but it must not have worked since everybody knew it wouldn't be the same so the crowds sat on their hands.

Mentioned
    498 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might be mixing them up. I guess the initial push was never sustained.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    He was ok, no Kwang but just ok.
    Speaking if Kwang. I remember at the end of that character run he teamed with Hakushi before turning face for one match. You think the gimmick might have made the team work out

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    I have been watching a lot of 1994-1995 WCW/WWF wrestling over the last week or so and it's obvious why I had one foot in pro wrestling and the other going into UFC/MMA. Some of the decisions and gimmicks are just so fucking terrible. I'm like why the big push for Mabel and not Savio?
    I think had Savio not have the wild card match the audience would have not got tired of seeing him go 4 matches in one night. But he was the mvp of that ppv

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegunn View Post
    I think had Savio not have the wild card match the audience would have not got tired of seeing him go 4 matches in one night. But he was the mvp of that ppv
    When anyone asks why people consider the New Generation Era such a lowpoint for WWF, go watch KOTR 1995. This ppv was so bad that I remember ordering it and on the tape I wrote "MABEL WINS" My best friend borrowed it that night, thinking I put that as a joke...He was so pissed when it was true. I remember laughing at him telling the story about how with each win he was like, the anticipation for Mabel to eventually lose was crazy lol.

For fuck's sake you have Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker in this thing and yeah....just wow. Shawn honestly should've won it. Imagine that year: Wins Rumble, World title match at Mania, IC title, tag champ with World champ Diesel, wins Survivor Series with Ahmed, avenges his loss to Razor in a ladder match, add in KOTR and yeah nobody would've had a better year in the US.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    When anyone asks why people consider the New Generation Era such a lowpoint for WWF, go watch KOTR 1995. This ppv was so bad that I remember ordering it and on the tape I wrote "MABEL WINS" My best friend borrowed it that night, thinking I put that as a joke...He was so pissed when it was true. I remember laughing at him telling the story about how with each win he was like, the anticipation for Mabel to eventually lose was crazy lol.

For fuck's sake you have Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker in this thing and yeah....just wow. Shawn honestly should've won it. Imagine that year: Wins Rumble, World title match at Mania, IC title, tag champ with World champ Diesel, wins Survivor Series with Ahmed, avenges his loss to Razor in a ladder match, add in KOTR and yeah nobody would've had a better year in the US.
    Billy Gunn in 99 comes pretty close mind you. Wouldn’t have actually been so bad if they had him and Road-Dogg in the final then have Billy lord it up over his tag partner but they booked that whole tourney strangely after a good start of Road-Dogg hilariously outsmarting Chyna with the metal cup going for the low blow. Actually Road-Dogg would’ve been an even better choice. Far more charisma than Billy plus X-Pac was dealing with neck issues. Should’ve been him really.

Shamrock in 1998 was another odd one. Why not go with the Rock who was already on the rise and would’ve brought great fanfare. Shamrock did nothing after that.

Although Mabel turned out bad I can at least see what they were trying at the time with him being a monster heel. Billy and Shamrock did nothing with their wins and didn’t move up any further than where they were so not sure what the point was with them.
    Last edited by Badger; November 23rd, 2022 at 10:56 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Man, I hate 1995, both WWF and WCW were awful at that time and I nearly checked out completely. Thankfully it started to turn around quite sharply for both companies when 1996 rolled around.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Luger vs. Bulldog final with Bulldog turning heel was the clear way to go business-wise. Mabel sucked, and they basically did what they should have done for one of the lesser PPV's. Bulldog wins dirty, then beats him again with Cornette/Owen/Yoko involvement at IYH. Beats Luger on the way out and launches a top line heel properly. And doesn't involve fucking Mabel.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't the original plan for shamrock to face Sevryn in the finals of KOTR?
    I think rock did not win because Vince usually does not give the crown to champs which rock already had IC title. Shamrock lost momentum the second they turned him heel. He challenges Austin on Sunday night heat and that was what turns him. Russo booking everyone.
    Last edited by Bluegunn; November 24th, 2022 at 7:09 AM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    I'd take Davey Boy winning the KotR over Mabel any day of the week, but wouldn't that have resulted in us getting the Bulldog/Diesel IYH 4 complete stinker at SummerSlam instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegunn View Post
    Wasn't the original plan for shamrock to face Sevryn in the finals of KOTR?
    I think rock did not win because Vince usually does not give the crown to champs which rock already had IC title. Shamrock lost momentum the second they turned him heel.
    I've always felt that Shamrock turning heel as Vince's hired muscle feuding with Stone Cold could have been a pretty interesting deal if done at the right time. We could have had their blow-off match at SummerSlam with Austin getting to wrestle Vince in the cage if he beats Shamrock. I never was into the Austin/Undertaker match at SS '98 to be honest.
    Last edited by OD50; November 24th, 2022 at 7:12 AM.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd take Davey Boy winning the KotR over Mabel any day of the week, but wouldn't that have resulted in us getting the Bulldog/Diesel IYH 4 complete stinker at SummerSlam instead?

I've always felt that Shamrock turning heel as Vince's hired muscle feuding with Stone Cold could have been a pretty interesting deal if done at the right time. We could have had their blow-off match at SummerSlam with Austin getting to wrestle Vince in the cage if he beats Shamrock. I never was into the Austin/Undertaker match at SS '98 to be honest.
    That would have been interesting. Shamrock was protected at the time not taking clean losses. The one title match on PPV he did have against Michaels was disappointing but that was more down to the booking. Vince hyping him up Shamrock as so dangerous. This could’ve been great for Austin to take a hard-fought win.

Then after that you could’ve had Vince turn to Taker and Kane with his master plan.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait. Are you talking about the team with that guy who said that thing that everyone liked and he was in that movie with that scene where he said that other thing? And who could forget that time?