Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wilfred's Debate 2022 Round 1 Tie 4 - mth vs Peter Griffin

WILFRED'S DEBATE 2022 ROUND 1 TIE 4

@mth vs @Peter Griffin

WORST GIMMICK IN THE GOLDEN ERA

The Golden Era between 1982 and 1993 is considered one of if not the best eras in WWF and wrestling as a whole that helped revolutionise the industry as a whole including expanding the company out of the territorials and the kickstart of PPVs including Wrestlemania. It was home to many great matches, storylines and gimmicks. However it has been considered that it was home to some awful stuff as well including gimmicks which is what we will be focusing on for this topic.

Your topic is to choose what and who you think had the worst gimmick in the Golden Era. You must argue why you think yours is the best choice and also why your choice is stronger than your opponents. I will allow team gimmicks and other non-wrestling characters as well as singles wrestlers.

RULES

Each participant will be allowed 3 posts each with a word cap of 400 words maximum per post. This must not be exceeded.
    No editing of posts is allowed. Once it is down it is down.
    Responses must be staggered. Each participant must wait until their opponent has gone until they can post again.
    No rebuttals are allowed for the person posting after their opponent original post. Once both opening posts are down then you may rebut your opponent's choice.
    Videos, gifs, pictures etc can be used and will not count towards the word count.
    If you quote your opponent, the quote will not count towards the word count. However if you choose to cite words from an article, outside source then those words will count.
    Ties will last exactly the one week and will be timestamped. No extensions will be allowed. If all 6 posts are not in then they will be judged on what has been put down. However this can be reviewed by me depending on circumstances.
    For the opening posts, each person will have 48 hours maximum to respond. If the person chosen to go first has not responded then they may respond themselves in which case the other person has 48 hours to respond. If there are no responses within those 48 hour periods then whoever has posted will win automatically.
    For all participants and anyone posting in the discussion thread, please do not comment on the ties while they are going on.
    Once the ties have been completed, it will be down to the 3 judges to judge on who they think did best and to PM their votes to me. They will know this already but please give reasoning for your votes.

The coin toss has revealed that Peter Griffin will be going first!

Happy Debating! Any questions about your individual ties then please PM me.
    Last edited by Badger; September 19th, 2022 at 12:09 AM.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    On first reading the topic I thought I would struggle for an answer as I thought this period was light on ridiculous gimmicks as opposed to the new generation (Mantaur anyone?)

But once I started to think, a couple of names popped into my head.

Now straight off the bat I'm going to give an honory mention to Samba Simba for most in poor taste gimmick, Not good.

My actual pick is someone who I loved to hate growing up and his music and trance used to scare the shit of me, But as an adult it's fair to say the gimmick was some wrestlecrap material. His whole shtick was to try and curse his opponents which is bad enough in itself but what really tipped this from shit to laughable was the occasion he cursed Ultimate Warrior who proceeded to bleed black ooze. Just total z list horror nonsense.

Oh yeah, he also managed to fuck the main event to WM8.

The worst gimmick of this period is

Papa Shango

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I saw the topic, I thought:
    Better PICK a good one.
    I considered a gimmick that was supposed to shock the world.
    I considered a gimmick that was a man dressed as a giant turkey.
    But I decided to DIG DEEPER...
    ...and I think I pulled out a real winner:
    BASTION BOOGER.

Much as we might not want to look closer at this slovenly fellow, we must examine who we're dealing with:
    Take a hirsute and obese 400-plus pound man.
    Wrap him in an ill-fitting diaper with assorted straps to accentuate his flabbiest of areas.
    Have him more focused on eating than wrestling and make sure that eating is done in the least civilized manner possible.
    Make his entrance theme sound like someone slamming their head against a piano over and over.
    Top it off with a finisher of gyrating before dropping ballsack-first onto your face and smothering you in his crotch.
    My friends, there was nothing redeemable here.
    This gimmick was not intimidating.
    This gimmick was not charming.
    This is gimmick was not amusing.
    This gimmick was, “Look at this fat ugly man! Isn't he gross?”.
    He lost his debut match.
    Things never really got better.
    He wrestled one PPV, Survivor Series '93.
    His feud was built by his pizza being tainted with hot sauce by Doink. Kane's cup of coffee feud with Jericho be damned! At least that was actually about the burn comment Chris made after the spill but this...this was literally about burning his mouth on a fucking piece of pizza.
    He entered the PPV arena eating a turkey.
    He hit his god-awful finisher on a Bushwacker and could have eliminated him but...
    ...he needed to stop and eat more.
    Then he got eliminated.
    PPV appearance over.
    He was in a bit of an angle in '94. It may have been a minute redeemable aspect for Booger, but that's past our cut-off year and cannot be considered for this discussion.
    Even so, it didn't change the gimmick: look at the fat gross man, isn't he fat and gross?
    Worth nothing: he was allegedly given the gimmick as punishment for his weight.
    As if it wasn't mean enough to ask folks to be repulsed by the poor guy as a character, ol' Vinny Mac might've been asking folks to be repulsed by the poor guy for real!
    Wonderful stuff.
    By “wonderful” I mean “the worst”.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter has informed he is unable to continue so @mth wins this by submission.

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mth is indestructible at bad gimmicks anyway

I've seen him defend Farting Nattie against like 6 people simultaneously. Farting Nattie.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazer View Post

I've seen him defend Farting Nattie against like 6 people simultaneously. Farting Nattie.
    That was one of my guilty pleasures but then again I’m kinda childish for a 40 year old.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazer View Post

Defended and failed but still defended lol.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Farting Nattie would have been a lot better if we got to smell it. Like those smell-a-vision type things.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mth likes to pretend he likes things everyone else hates. Like you and Snitsky. This is how I coined the term hipster wrestler fan, reading @mth and his love for things like Natalya farting.

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mth does love those things. If we were all in person, he would light up when talking about golddust

Like some people wear wax mustaches to be cool, but Rollie Fingers just really loved his mustache.

Don't be too cynical to see the pure soul of mth.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't pretend to like anything. Sorry I like things you think are stupid. Forgive me for trying to find joy in an indifferent universe filled with suffering.

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    I do like this though.

Now the song is in my head.

You are the last dragon.

You possess the power of the glooooow.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    It’s hypnotic.

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Classic Saturday/Sunday afternoon movie on one of my local channels growing up.