User Tag List

Thread: House of the Dragon

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

House of the Dragon

Set 200 years before the events of Game of Thrones, the series chronicles the events leading up to and covering the Targaryen war of succession known as the "Dance of the Dragons".

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought episode 1 was pretty damn good.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked it, the creepy guy in the mask at the end of the season trailer was creepy and kinda looked like Daemon. I wonder if he gets his face burned off or it’s a new white walker type villain.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is going to feel SO weird until I can adjust to not having Tyrion. But I hope this is good. Evil and Westworld just ended and I need a new sunday show.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Episode one was pretty good, I enjoyed it.

I’m apprehensive about getting attached to this series, at least until season two gets the green light.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved it

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Felt it was decent, better than I expected and less overbearing. The Elrich dude was pretty interesting. Maybe I'm remembering wrong but his voice sounded a lot like Ramsay Boltons.
    Last edited by OD50; August 22nd, 2022 at 7:09 AM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Anxiously awaiting the 4k upload.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When they talked about the white walker threat and how a Targ needs to be on the throne to save the realm, I couldn't help but think about the ending of GOT. Jon and Dany were integral to the fight against the night king so I'd say there's some truth in the prophecy, even if a Targ wasn't on the throne and the realms didn't all unite in some long war that took the whole country to win. It was basically 1 battle and done (or 2 if you count Hardhome as a battle).

I love the world GRRM has built and all of the lore and history but the guy really needs to finish the story to etch himself into legendary status with Tolkien. Regardless if GOT fumbled the ending, GRRM can make it right in the books, god willing if he lives long enough to finish them. Anyway I think Aegon's vision of the northern threat being a motivation for his conquest and being passed down to every heir comes off a little lame given how that threat was vanquished in the show with relatively little effort. I mean it wasn't even a war.

But here I am talking about GOT, which I don't want to do, but they had to go and reference it right away in episode 1.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched it last night. Incredible. I wasn't a fan of the gore with the birth and watching it with my best friend who lost 2 babies during his wife's birth, fucked him up. I remember him going "I hope they don't do any Red Wedding stuff with the queen" like he just had this feeling. But other than that, I'm loving it.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Episode 2 was great. This show has come out of the gate very strong. It's doing what the final season of GOT couldn't - it's making the political stuff interesting and well layered. The dialogue is good. The CGI dragons are fine but my advice to HBO would be that they can save their CGI budget for the big moments - they don't need to show us the dragons every episode.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Episode 2 was great. This show has come out of the gate very strong. It's doing what the final season of GOT couldn't - it's making the political stuff interesting and well layered. The dialogue is good. The CGI dragons are fine but my advice to HBO would be that they can save their CGI budget for the big moments - they don't need to show us the dragons every episode.
    7/8 seasons doing it right? IDK....We're 2 episodes in, do we already need to start the comparisons? Especially the annoying "the last season sucked" vibe everyone seems to take when it comes to GOT.

I also have to disagree about the dragons. I wish we had more beasts. I don't really want a GOT 2.0 it'd be cool if this wasn't just a nod-fest.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    I liked episode 3, except almost expecting the dragon rider fella at the end to shout "Now this is pod racing!!!

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    I liked episode 3, except almost expecting the dragon rider fella at the end to shout "Now this is pod racing!!!
    Fuck me I swear I was thinking the same thing.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the new son should be made heir. I mean Rhaenyra is cool but she isn’t doing anything to make me feel like she’ll be some great queen, she’s just sulking around doing nothing. I would declare the son the heir but say that Rhaenyra gets to be Queen Regent in the event Viserys dies before the son comes of age.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Viserys is weak sauce. Such a great portrait of a weak ruler.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    That is the point. He is a peace time King after yet another peace time King. The world is changing around him.

This was also part of the "prophecy" of the Iron Throne. It cuts those who are not strong rulers. Viserys has already lost two fingers because of it. As a peace time king he has gotten comfortable.

“A king should never sit easy"

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the new son should be made heir. I mean Rhaenyra is cool but she isn’t doing anything to make me feel like she’ll be some great queen, she’s just sulking around doing nothing. I would declare the son the heir but say that Rhaenyra gets to be Queen Regent in the event Viserys dies before the son comes of age.
    Have you watched any of this show yet? To say she's been doing nothing is almost comical.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Have you watched any of this show yet? To say she's been doing nothing is almost comical.
    Yes I've watched it. Other than going to get the egg back from Daemon, she hasn't done much that I recall.

I'm not trying to insult her or be sexist in my reasoning, but the world of the show is such that a woman officially sitting the throne will not go over well and will likely cause an unstable reign of fighting, suffering and death unless that woman is a fierce and/or beloved leader who can quell the backlash. I think it was reasonable to choose her over Daemon as heir at the time, I'm not criticizing that choice, but now that the king has a son, I'm looking at Rhaenyra and I'm not sure what makes her so special as to become the first ever female ruler and bypass the established laws of succession.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And needless to say, this will probably be answered in the episodes to come and she will do some great stuff, but through 3 episodes that is my take.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I've watched it. Other than going to get the egg back from Daemon, she hasn't done much that I recall.

I'm not trying to insult her or be sexist in my reasoning, but the world of the show is such that a woman officially sitting the throne will not go over well and will likely cause an unstable reign of fighting, suffering and death unless that woman is a fierce and/or beloved leader who can quell the backlash. I think it was reasonable to choose her over Daemon as heir at the time, I'm not criticizing that choice, but now that the king has a son, I'm looking at Rhaenyra and I'm not sure what makes her so special as to become the first ever female ruler and bypass the established laws of succession.
    And needless to say, this will probably be answered in the episodes to come and she will do some great stuff, but through 3 episodes that is my take.
    Exactly. We have barely scratched the surface. You have already came to these conclusions based on a couple episodes. Give it some time, we'll see where this goes. They've given you tidbits as to why she was named heir. Even going as far to say she was chosen to protect the realm from Daemon so you have that. IDK what qualities you are looking for this early on. Should she be in battle? She's not in a position yet to make any real decisions at the table and again, 3 episodes and you're already throwing up your arms.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly. We have barely scratched the surface. You have already came to these conclusions based on a couple episodes. Give it some time, we'll see where this goes. They've given you tidbits as to why she was named heir. Even going as far to say she was chosen to protect the realm from Daemon so you have that. IDK what qualities you are looking for this early on. Should she be in battle? She's not in a position yet to make any real decisions at the table and again, 3 episodes and you're already throwing up your arms.
    I enjoy discussing television shows on a weekly basis tbh, rather than waiting for it to play out. This is a big reason why I prefer weekly drops to binge drops.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I prefer the week to week airing as well.

I wish that this and Rings of Power were not airing at the same time. Let each shine on their own.

If you like Paddy Considine, please check out Pu-239. It was an HBO movie from 2006. Very good.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoy discussing television shows on a weekly basis tbh, rather than waiting for it to play out. This is a big reason why I prefer weekly drops to binge drops.
    So you do yourself a disservice by trying to predict what's going to happen instead of letting it play out? Sounds like you would rather binge it so you can find out how everything ends. You are creating negatives without having any real info.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeSplitter View Post
    I prefer the week to week airing as well.

I wish that this and Rings of Power were not airing at the same time. Let each shine on their own.

If you like Paddy Considine, please check out Pu-239. It was an HBO movie from 2006. Very good.
    Do either overshadow the other? I don't think so. Completely different shows.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you do yourself a disservice by trying to predict what's going to happen instead of letting it play out? Sounds like you would rather binge it so you can find out how everything ends. You are creating negatives without having any real info.
    Do you have any thoughts on the show House of the Dragons or are you not at liberty to discuss it at this point

Who do you think should be heir?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have any thoughts on the show House of the Dragons or are you not at liberty to discuss it at this point

Who do you think should be heir?
    I've made several posts already about my thoughts on the show. I've also enjoyed discussing your thoughts.

Who do I think should be heir after 3 episodes? I'm not sure. I haven't had enough time to truly develop a concrete answer to that question. As of right now I'm fine with who is next but I will say it is difficult knowing what we know, regardless if there's 200 years in between. So I'm more interested in how we get from House of Dragons ep 1 to Game of Thrones ep 1.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    I actually like Viserys quite a lot and feels a bit bad for him, seems whatever he does it just causes new, even worse problems. I think he (Paddy Considine) and Daemon (Matt Smith) are doing their characters really well so far.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    I actually like Viserys quite a lot and feels a bit bad for him, seems whatever he does it just causes new, even worse problems. I think he (Paddy Considine) and Daemon (Matt Smith) are doing their characters really well so far.
    I'm just curious if the biggest name on the show will get killed this season like they did the first season of GOT.

Speaking of Matt Smith, Morbius is on Netflix now.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My reaction to episode 5 in meme form

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My reaction to episode 5 in meme form

I mean it was wrong but the simple headed fuck was broken at that point seems like. Then Dandypants went and rubbed it in his face and he just snapped.

So they recast the female leads at this point. I don't know why we can't just throw a wig on them and say they're 30 now but whatever.

Also, am I supposed to be rooting for anyone here? Because if I am how is it not going to be Daemon? The pimpest Targ of all time. One of the best looking baddest motherfuckers of all time, the best singer & the best looking motherfucker you've ever seen. Hold my drink, bitch.

Fuck your couch Viserys! Fuck - your - couch!
    Last edited by Rancid_Planet; September 20th, 2022 at 9:34 PM.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m declared for house Hightower personally, and I support baby Aegon’s claim to the throne.

We’ll see how the new actors do but I’m in favor of their strategy. Aging or de-aging actors like in The Irishman for example can look funky. Our two lead girls were very good in their roles but I’m not sure aging them up would be best. So I’m optimistic about the actor switch.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have much to say except that this show is really fucking good. I think Paddy Considine will win an award for his performance last night.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Wasn't a big fan of Game of Thrones, probably because I watched 6 seasons in two weeks to get caught up to date with Season 7, as the wife was a big GoT fan.

But I've been watching this since the beginning and it's a lot more enjoyable for me. Last night's episode was really incredible. I agree with you on Paddy Fro

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good blog here from GRRM about HOTD. gotta love the guy even if he's taking forever with the main novels.

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/...andom-musings/

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have much to say except that this show is really fucking good. I think Paddy Considine will win an award for his performance last night.
    Yeah that walk to the throne was Emmy stuff.

I read that the crown falling off his head and Daemon helping him was improvised. That's an element I love that they didn't touch on a lot. The fact that these two brothers care for each other deeply despite all that happened.

Well King Fuckupalot did it again. He puts the whole family back together and steers the kingdom away from war...for about 5 whole minutes before he fucks it all up again from an opium induced delirium. Thanks buddy.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There’s truth to that but I don’t think he did anything wrong really. Alicent heard what she wanted to hear. The war was coming either way.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome finale. What a glorious season of television.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    That was a great finale.

Having to wait 12-15 months for season two is going to suck.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incredible finale and I echo the sadness of having to wait until 2024 for season 2. Hopefully it's January 2024 lol.

It'll give me time to go back and watch GOT again.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    That was a great finale.

Having to wait 12-15 months for season two is going to suck.
    Yeah I won't remember shit but that's what those "season one condensed to two minutes" videos on YouTube are for.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    Yeah I won't remember shit but that's what those "season one condensed to two minutes" videos on YouTube are for.
    I'll rewatch it no doubt but they also do that 1-2 minute recap when the new season starts so that's cool too.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shit that was the end of the series? I thought it was carrying on! Damn, thats a cliff hanger. Very strong series.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Romford Pele View Post
    Shit that was the end of the series? I thought it was carrying on! Damn, thats a cliff hanger. Very strong series.
    Just the end of the 1st season. Season 2 will be back sometime in 2024.