User Tag List

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: 2022 NFL Thread

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    How are the Texans the worst team in football by a mile all year and manage to Texan their way into the #2 the last week? Last year's draft needs literally listed "everything".

Somehow...this is all Bill O'Brien's fault.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovie Smith stuck it to them good before they could fire him.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    Lovie Smith stuck it to them good before they could fire him.
    They were idiots for not going stickup up for Lovie before season's end. They should have given a phony vote of confidence or taken control out of his hands by forcing starters to sit before the final game.

It's weapons grade moronic to trust a known lame duck coach to 'do what's right' by the organization and expect him to lay down for them on his way out. It's preposterous really, and it's yet another example of just how little foresight the decision makers collectively have here.

All that said I like some of the candidates being batted around so far. Fingers crossed they pick the right one and by and large get the hell out of his way.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
    They were idiots for not going stickup up for Lovie before season's end. They should have given a phony vote of confidence or taken control out of his hands by forcing starters to sit before the final game.

It's weapons grade moronic to trust a known lame duck coach to 'do what's right' by the organization and expect him to lay down for them on his way out. It's preposterous really, and it's yet another example of just how little foresight the decision makers collectively have here.

All that said I like some of the candidates being batted around so far. Fingers crossed they pick the right one and by and large get the hell out of his way.
    Any favorites that you think they have a realistic shot at getting?

Also with that awful offensive line do they need to go qb in the 1st round with a supposed weak qb class or just start repairing the line?

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    It's very weird to have a team like Chicago get the first pick. This could be a real huge off season for them if they play their cards right and could really make the franchise into something great for the next 6-7 years.

Or could really hinder them. Well, here goes!

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdestiny View Post
    It's very weird to have a team like Chicago get the first pick. This could be a real huge off season for them if they play their cards right and could really make the franchise into something great for the next 6-7 years.

Or could really hinder them. Well, here goes!
    What do you mean “a team like Chicago”? They haven’t been very good for about 10 years so it seems normal, but I may be misinterpreting your meaning.

Anyway happy hunting with those draft picks you’ll get when you trade out of the top pick.

Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    What do you mean “a team like Chicago”? They haven’t been very good for about 10 years so it seems normal, but I may be misinterpreting your meaning.

Anyway happy hunting with those draft picks you’ll get when you trade out of the top pick.
    They haven't had a number 1 since 1947.

It feels like they aren't as far away from being competitive to many of the other teams in the top ten is what I'm saying. So yes you were misinterpreting.

Also, it wasn't that long ago that they were in the playoffs.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Assuming someone (Indy) leap frogs Houston for the #1 pick...don't take a QB. Take Will Anderson Jr.

But then again if we had won the tank bowl and got the #1 pick I'd be saying...don't take a QB. Take Will Anderson Jr.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chicago wins 8 games next year.

Detroit wins the division.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chicago wins 8 games next year.

Detroit wins the division.
    The Vikes finish in last due to low self esteem.

Packers all die from massive cheese ingestion.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdestiny View Post
    It feels like they aren't as far away from being competitive to many of the other teams in the top ten is what I'm saying. So yes you were misinterpreting.

Also, it wasn't that long ago that they were in the playoffs.
    Gotcha. Yea I saw them discussing this on Barstool the other day, with Big Cat saying how the Bears are in such a great position, and Dave being like yea but you're the worst team in the NFL. Reality is somewhere in the middle, as is usually the case, and I agree they're in a better position than most teams who land the #1 pick due to cap space and the potential that they already have their QB in Fields. I have no idea if Matt Eberflus is good or not so I'll not offer an opinion on whether they have their coach. Just try to use those picks more efficiently than the Chase Claypool trade and they should be an up and coming team like you said.

Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    The O Line can't be much worse.

They will be fine with their picks, but I'll let the GM know.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be smart if the Bears can trade back with the Colts and get their missing 2 back (and a few extra treats). They can still get Will Anderson or Jalen Carter at 4 and the Colts can get Young or Stroud. Win-win.

Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by _me View Post
    It would be smart if the Bears can trade back with the Colts and get their missing 2 back (and a few extra treats). They can still get Will Anderson or Jalen Carter at 4 and the Colts can get Young or Stroud. Win-win.
    Dream scenario would be to maybe somehow end up with someone like Buckner/Paye and then get Anderson/Carter with their pick and then roll with OL/WR the rest of the draft pretty much

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tua ruled out for the Bills game. Well that sucks. I'm sure he'll keep fighting to play next season but this feels like the year that could've been for both Tua and the Dolphins. Miami, nor any other teams is going to want to invest long term in a guy that just can't stay healthy.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Any favorites that you think they have a realistic shot at getting?

Also with that awful offensive line do they need to go qb in the 1st round with a supposed weak qb class or just start repairing the line?
    I think Jonathan Gannon, DC in Philly, is the frontrunner. He interviewed well here last year but rumor is he was told he'd have to take Lovie Smith on as his DC, which is a ridiculous notion, and so he passed. I don't think that's the same concern now after Nick Caserio's been rightfully knocked down a peg or three. And everything I've read about Gannon and his accomplishments and his connections sound solid so I don't have any big objections. Be curious to hear from resident Eagles fans to see how they size him up, Morrison and maybe someone else I believe.

Everyone here is hoping for our former all pro LB DeMeco Ryans, now DC in SF. I'm certainly in that group too. I don't think he has any reason to take a big job that he doesn't think is perfect for him though, and I don't think he'd believe this situation is perfect for him.

Then there are candidates like Ben Johnson, OC in Detroit, and Shane Steichen, OC in Philly, and Mike Kafka, OC in NY(G), and Brian Callahan, OC in Cincy who I'm waiting to hear more about once they interview. Really like what I've read/heard about Kafka in particular.

We certainly need Oline help, but we need help essentially everywhere. And with as many picks as we have early this year and next I'm taking BPA, within reason, at every pick.

Then there's the QB situation. I like Bryce Young. I believe he's got 'it'. I also believe he weighs 190 pounds while holding a bag of groceries, and of course that's a concern. Nonetheless if he's there at 2 I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger assuming whoever is brought in as HC truly believes in him.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess that depends on if they go offensive head coach or defensive head coach.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tua ruled out for the Bills game. Well that sucks. I'm sure he'll keep fighting to play next season but this feels like the year that could've been for both Tua and the Dolphins. Miami, nor any other teams is going to want to invest long term in a guy that just can't stay healthy.
    Presuming the Dolphins season ends this weekend I think this re-opens the door for Brady in Miami, or even Lamar Jackson if the Ravens want to trade him (but I would put Brady first in line since he will come at no cost of draft picks and has already buddied up with the Dolphins). Mid-season this year Tua had shut that door but things can change quickly. I hate that injuries might derail his career like this, and I'm not rooting for his career to be cut short nor for the Dolphins to move him, but this seems like a real possibility again. You could throw Aaron Rodgers' name into this discussion too, but his contract seems difficult to trade so it might be GB or retirement for him.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Guess that depends on if they go offensive head coach or defensive head coach.
    Or the relationship a supposed defensive HC might have with his hand-picked OC. Even a (smart) defensive guy oughtta know you need a QB in this era.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    The Houston HC situation will be interesting to watch.

If you’re one of the up-and-comer candidates, you have to decide if the juice is worth the squeeze: being the head guy and risking your future on a boss with two strikes, knowing that you’re a 3 win season from being one-and-done. At this point, it will be Cal McNair running the job search because Caserio’s word probably means very little in that building right now. You might be able to press Texans ownership for a little extra: more power in personnel than you would probably be afforded, written assurances (obviously) that extend through season two and beyond in case Caserio gets turfed.

If I had to guess, the top prospects avoid that mess. Houston is a long-term project with a lot more holes than solutions on its roster. The next head guy in Houston is probably a retread/career assistant who is willing to swing and miss in 2023 and get paid to sit at home for two years before landing on his feet as an assistant somewhere. “Did you see that shithole situation? How could I possibly be blamed for 3-14 with that?”

If I’m Houston executives not named Caserio, I recognize that I’m running a mess with a lot of holes. Run back Davis Mills, who has two years left on his rookie deal, use the 2/12/34 and your $41M in 2023 cap space to fill some of the non-QB holes. Maybe Mills in two years is worthy of a mid-level second contract because he’s produced when had weapons around him…

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Houston has been wanting to hire Josh McCown for years now. If it wasn't for Flores lawsuit, they would have hired him last year. They also wanted to hire him during the Culley year but they chickened out because they would be passing over numerous qualified black coaches to hire a white QB with no experience.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that Houston's treasure chest of draft capital and cap space makes them a good landing spot. They'll attract some good candidates.

Mentioned
    302 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the team will still suck.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Texans can rise again. It was only 3 years ago that they finished a run of making the playoffs 4 years out of 5. They got rid of that weirdo Jack Easterby so that's a good start.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caito View Post
    And the team will still suck.
    What if I reminded you that the Texans have won the division 6 times since 2011?

Mentioned
    302 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would remind you those division wins led to……. Nothing.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    The Texans can rise again. It was only 3 years ago that they finished a run of making the playoffs 4 years out of 5. They got rid of that weirdo Jack Easterby so that's a good start.
    That was a great start. He snake-oiled a pretty seemingly gullible and naive new owner in Cal McNair into some pretty odd decisions, not the least of which was the perpetual attempt to try Josh McCown on for size as a zero-experience HC. Thankfully it seems since that presence is gone, and since the seeming ding to Nick Caserio's word salad smartest guy in the room leadership, that all of a sudden there are competent, quality HC candidates for a change to go with a roomy salary cap and a bevy of early round draft picks for the next two years.. it seems that if they can even just stumble into the right coach and kindly get the hell out his way then there could be something resembling a hopeful future.

Mentioned
    302 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m gonna remember this post if/when they hire McCown this offseason.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually do think McCown is going to be a good head coach when someone hires him.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I actually do think McCown is going to be a good head coach when someone hires him.
    You could be right. Frankly no one can really know whatsoever as all he's ever done was help as an assistant coach for his son's HS team. Though wikipedia does also tell me that he made pancakes and tought gym class for a high school in North Carolina before that.

So I'm just curious, what indicates to you that he'd make a good NFL HC just all of a sudden?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could be right. Frankly no one can really know whatsoever as all he's ever done was help as an assistant coach for his son's HS team. Though wikipedia does also tell me that he made pancakes and tought gym class for a high school in North Carolina before that.

So I'm just curious, what indicates to you that he'd make a good NFL HC just all of a sudden?
    The fact that he has basically been a coach for 15 years already. He has "played" for 12 different franchises while barely seeing the field. You don't do that unless you can help other guys get better. If you watch the All or Nothing for the Eagles, you can see how much coaching he was doing even when he was playing. Coaches have been trying to hire him for their staffs forever. I trust they know more than I do.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    So he was a helpful sideline bro for a while.. alright.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For his entire career.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    CEO of a bajillion dollar sports enterprise..

no biggie.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Playoff predictions this weekend?

I feel like the Buffalo massacres Miami but there is always the chance the Bills get sloppy late because that's what they do.

I know the Bengals have O line issues but I just can't see the Lamarless Ravens winning. I don't think they can score.

Cowboys better beat the Bucs or else Jerry may get pissed and fire someone. I can't see how they'd lose though.

SF and Seattle is a rivalry game in bad weather. Could be an upset special.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Niners
    Chargers
    Bills
    Giants
    Bengals
    Buccaneers

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Niners
    Chargers
    Bills
    Giants
    Bengals
    Boys

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    Wildcard Round winners:

San Francisco
    Dallas
    NY Giants

Buffalo
    Cincinnati
    LA Chargers
    From Monday.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was scarry for a bit for the 49ers. Then they put the foot down. Still an amazing season for a Seahawks team that nobody picked to do shit this year. They basically hit on all their draft picks and Geno turned out to be more than serviceable at qb. Pete has that job locked down for a long while.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    That was scarry for a bit for the 49ers. Then they put the foot down. Still an amazing season for a Seahawks team that nobody picked to do shit this year. They basically hit on all their draft picks and Geno turned out to be more than serviceable at qb. Pete has that job locked down for a long while.
    And they've got the gift that keeps on giving in the draft return for Russ..

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And they've got the gift that keeps on giving in the draft return for Russ..
    The Rams are in rebuild mode and against the cap, Kyler may be a monster now that he has his money so it feels like that division is going to be all Seattle and San Fran for the next few years. I just can't wait to see what the Seahawks do during the off-season. I'm no huge fan of theirs but they have an exciting future ahead of them.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seattle could be scary if they hit on that 5th pick.
    How much cap room do they have?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Jags can't do this right?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hithit View Post
    Seattle could be scary if they hit on that 5th pick.
    How much cap room do they have?
    48 mil. 5th most room in the fucking league. Wow

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can and have done it.

Wow. What a collapse by the Chargers. Staley is in trooooouuuuble.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Seahawks really had an opportunity to start the second half to really try to steal it but they couldn't do it. Instead, they basically pissed the Niners off. Purdy had his worst half to start the game since he became the starter but really regained his footing in the second half. I didn't like what I was seeing defensively at times for the Niners but I think they're going to be okay over the long haul in that category. As a whole, I think they're the scariest team in the NFC.

Brandon Staley is losing his job. He blew it by playing Mike Williams in a meaningless Week 18 game and then rested on his laurels in the second half. They had a great scheme defensively in the first half but had no answer whatsoever in the second. Extremely strong mental fortitude by Lawrence to bounce back after that terrible start. Outside of the big run on fourth down, Etienne had the quietest 100-yard rushing performance in a playoff game I've seen in a while lol.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never thought T-Law was what people kept saying he was. I honestly think he just looks like a star qb and he's been getting by on not much else in the NFL.

After his last few games this season including today I can honestly say, I now don't know if he's good or just average. So that's an upgrade kinda.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never thought T-Law was what people kept saying he was. I honestly think he just looks like a star qb and he's been getting by on not much else in the NFL.

After his last few games this season including today I can honestly say, I now don't know if he's good or just average. So that's an upgrade kinda.
    I think he's trending towards good. You can't say he's average in terms of mental fortitude after this game and that goes a long way when it comes to being a QB. He's still getting a mulligan for his rookie year in my book. I think he took advantage of a softer schedule to end the season but that's what you want to see with someone who is going to be developing and is expected to be good.
    Last edited by BGMaverick; January 16th, 2023 at 1:28 AM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TLaw is gonna be a stud. He finally has weapons. He has a coach that knows how to win in the NFL. Next year he takes the step to superstardom.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    48 mil. 5th most room in the fucking league. Wow
    Oh damn, they can fix a lot of holes with those picks and that cap room.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buffalo is trying to make this game interesting

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Buffalo is going to win this game, probably, but my God this super aggressive offense mindset is going to get them eliminated early. Its less then a minute in the second quarter, you are up by 8 go to the half, run the ball and go inside leading.,

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Jags comeback was awesome. And this Dolphins effort is awesome so far. I'm still fully expecting the Bills to win but the Mafia must be very anxious right about now.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never underestimate these divisional rival playoff games.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    God its hard not to notice the "Don't you guys know we're supposed to beat you by 50 points?" body language from some of the Bills defense right now.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Miami is bringing it today. Big stop on that play. Huge loss.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that game showed me what I needed to know about the Bills. Any chance of them playing hard and disciplined for a whole game is still zero. They always fuck around at some point in every game. That's gonna cost them somewhere.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Buffalo just played down to Miami today. They thought they were gonna win by double digits and didn't play hard or disciplined football. I'd bet they won't look that shitty next week.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Buffalo just played down to Miami today. They thought they were gonna win by double digits and didn't play hard or disciplined football. I'd bet they won't look that shitty next week.
    That kind of team doesn't win superbowls. Sucks cause I'm rooting for them the most.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Giants win and I don't think it's a fluke. I think Jones is actually becoming a good qb. For real. I've watched a few of their games in the last month or so and I think we're seeing a guy, well into his run, finally realize his potential. Nothing great. Just a good solid starter that won't fuck up the game. He might even win it for you. Another Eli if you will. That will totally work for what Daboll is trying to do there.

NFC east goes from NFC least to NFC beast.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Miami lost that game, in my opinion. They put themselves in a spot where they should have stolen the game but they had way too many self-inflicted wounds. Whether it was the dropped passes or the wasting of timeouts to avoid delay of game penalties or just outright absorbing those same penalties, they got in their own way. Hell of an effort but that's a major opportunity lost. Buffalo's offense strikes me as a similar one to KC's over the last 2-3 seasons. Simple is effective but that's not good enough for them. There's so many times where they can just run the ball or take a check down but they opt to go for the big play. That's going to burn you at a certain point.

It's a physical game, but that was a pillow fight defensively between Minnesota and New York. Minnesota seemed to let their foot off the gas on offense as the game went along. They were moving at will and weren't facing much resistance but they opted to try to work a screen game. Dalvin Cook was the benefactor of that usage but the Giants were as well because it doesn't seem like he's got that burst anymore. The luck ran out for Minnesota and they've got a world of hurt to repair defensively. The Giants really came into their own on offense, in part to the ineptitude of the Vikings. They won't be squared of the Eagles, but I don't know if that will really matter. They're trending up, though.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way too early NFC North predictions for next season.

Lions
    Packers
    Vikings
    Bears

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, I support Lamar.

Fuck you pay me.

My dad pinned Mr Backlund Kneeneighbor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Oh damn, they can fix a lot of holes with those picks and that cap room.
    Geno Smith isn't ever gonna get it done.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Fuck you pay me.
    I dont agree with him not traveling with the team though.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneeneighbor View Post
    I dont agree with him not traveling with the team though.
    He just doesn't wanna get caught by his teammates limping on the wrong leg.

"Hey weren't you holding the crutch under your OTHER arm Lamar?"

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geno Smith isn't ever gonna get it done.
    He seemed to get it done this year.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That might be the first time I've seen a defensive td on a play like that.
    Disclaimer, I was a drunk for all my 20s and early 30s.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine
    I've seen fumbles on reach plays like that at the 1 yard line. I have seen fumbles in general returned from the 1 yard line for a TD. I have never seen a reach play fumble returned for a TD, especially in the playoffs.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    He seemed to get it done this year.
    Did he though? They were 9-9 in a division with 2 terrible teams.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And they were projected for 5 wins.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    And they were projected for 5 wins.
    Are you really arguing that a team should hang their hat on Geno Smith?

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Questionable clock management here at the end.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Baltimore played that game exactly how they wanted to. Probably even better because their offense looked better than Cincinnati's but it absolutely flipped on that turnover at the two. They also had utterly terrible clock management at the end. Absolutely atrocious. I think Cincy has some serious concerns now with their OL. Should be an interesting and emotional matchup next week in Buffalo.

Can't imagine KC was scared seeing how the weekend turned out around them.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did he though? They were 9-9 in a division with 2 terrible teams.
    He did and they were.

I mean I ain't saying sign the guy for a max deal but he just had a top 8 qb season. Let's give it up a little.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada

Fuck you pay me.
    100% agree.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    100% agree.
    They offered to pay him. He refused.

And there's no chance I'd offer to give a qb of Jackson's style the kind of guaranteed money we've seen handed out lately, ie Watson or Kyler. And their offer was only reportedly $8M lower than Mahomes.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just don't understand how this deal could've gotten so bungled with an agent that caliber handling negotiations lol.

At any rate it's over the full guarantee that Watson got isn't it? I dont think this is going to be the last time this happens either. I think its a pandora's box that could maaaayybe one day lead to fully guaranteed deals being more common in the sport that needs them most and I support the fuck out of that.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Fully guaranteed NFL contracts are fine. For 3-4 years max.

Best example I can think of is Andrew Luck. Is anyone NOT giving him a fully guaranteed 6 year after his 5th year?

Remember he missed the next 2 season after year 5 then retired after 1 more year. Your team would be in cap hell.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I just don't understand how this deal could've gotten so bungled with an agent that caliber handling negotiations lol.

At any rate it's over the full guarantee that Watson got isn't it? I dont think this is going to be the last time this happens either. I think its a pandora's box that could maaaayybe one day lead to fully guaranteed deals being more common in the sport that needs them most and I support the fuck out of that.
    It's certainly in part because of the Watson deal.

And owners' league wide are furious at the Haslem's for opening that box. Particularly given the added baggage Watson brings to the table.

And they're by and large from what I've read insistent on shutting it back up.

It's also an interesting perspective to look at guaranteed contracts merely from the eyes of the players. Of course they'd want them. But if you're an owner of a team in the most violent league in sports, that also happens to have a hard salary cap, how thrilled would you be to be locking guys up left and right tying one anchor after another to the future of your cap?

I don't begrudge anyone their opportunity to cash the fuck in. Get your paper booboo. I'm also not some owner fanboy rooting for the evil empire. But it's a pretty fuckin nuanced discussion is all. And ultimately the machinations of the market, minus some oddball outlier like Cleveland/Watson, will continue to see things through because I don't think it's a topic that can just be legislated fast and hard any one direction.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Blame the Vikings. They gave Cousins a fully guaranteed contract before the Browns paid Watson.

Unless I'm misremermbering.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by CWE View Post
    Blame the Vikings. They gave Cousins a fully guaranteed contract before the Browns paid Watson.

Unless I'm misremermbering.
    They did. 3 yrs-$84M guaranteed. It was the first of it's kind.

But the bananas escalation has happened rather quickly into 5 yrs-$230M fully guaranteed (Watson), 5 yrs-$230M w/$160M guaranteed (Kyler), and 5 yrs-$242M w/$161M guaranteed (Russ).

There's always a first, but the latter few have really pushed the envelope on just how far clubs are willing to go. And judging by the early stage results I think it's a question up in the air at best.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you really arguing that a team should hang their hat on Geno Smith?
    Tell me where I said that? What I said was he delivered this year. I think he earned the starting job for next year. They draft a kid and let him sit for a couple years then move on from Geno.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    If you want to blame someone for the high QB, look at Cleveland. They paid Watson an absurd amount of money for an above average player and knew he was not going to play for most if not all of the season. At this point if you are a full time QB, you expect to get paid a Dragon's Lair worth of cash to play going forward.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won't even pretend to understand all the implications of guaranteed money becoming more common in the NFL. I'm just going on the assumption that since business has never been better for the NFL and its only going up from here that now is the time if it's ever going to become even halfway normal. I feel like the league will find a way to accommodate it. I mean baseball owners are doing just fine.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is too common sense to happen but I have always thought there should be "tiered guarantees" as the standard NFL contract. Year 1 = 100%; Year 2 = 75%; Year 3 = 50%; Year 4 = 25%; Year 5+ = 0%. Owners get some predictability without owing everything like NBA and MLB owners; players get to know they will get some money they are owed even if they get cut.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So do we expect the boys to take care of business tonight or crumble in the face of the goat?

I feel like they'll get it done. Low scoring game. Dak won't play well. But they'll win something like 17-14

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like TB tonight. Dak is gonna choke, as will McCarthey because that's what McCarthey does in the playoffs.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    It is too common sense to happen but I have always thought there should be "tiered guarantees" as the standard NFL contract. Year 1 = 100%; Year 2 = 75%; Year 3 = 50%; Year 4 = 25%; Year 5+ = 0%. Owners get some predictability without owing everything like NBA and MLB owners; players get to know they will get some money they are owed even if they get cut.
    That sounds fairly reasonable. But it boils down to whether or not that kind of arrangement can be banged out between the owners and the players association and worked into the cba. The question would then be who wouldn't agree to it, and why? Bottom line as of now is we've never even heard of something like that as a negotiating point. Gotta be a reason.

I think it's as simple as the owners are steadfast against any cba mandated guaranteed money and the players know it and so instead look to bargain for things they can actually win. Could certainly change like anything else, but it ain't even been brought to the table as of yet.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    My goodness how much more do we hear Sean Payton's name should Dallas blow it tonight?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Dallas blows it tonight Payton is hired by Wednesday

Obviously that can't happen, but it will be quick

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    I hate the Cowboys, but the media pandering over Brady's last run would be awful. I know he has one more year, but after his off season, I can see him leaving. He is basically chasing his own ghost at this point.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd think Payton would want to run the team, not deal with Jerry. Rumors indicate he wanted the Chargers job which might maybe be open now. Guess we will see.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by lotjx View Post
    I hate the Cowboys, but the media pandering over Brady's last run would be awful. I know he has one more year, but after his off season, I can see him leaving. He is basically chasing his own ghost at this point.
    Or he's just addicted to playing and all the things that come with it.. the competition, the camaraderie, the routine of it all.. he might just be afraid to walk away from all he's ever really known knowing that once it's all gone its never coming back, and I can't really fault him for that.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine
    If Brett Maher was Lee Harvey Oswald.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    He is done.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine
    DO I HEAR FOUR????? ........ YES!!! WOOOOOOOH!

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by lotjx View Post
    He is done.
    One more year with a legit coach.