Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JJ Watt is a good human.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Kyler Murray gets crazy stupid money from Arizona because he might turn into an elite QB who wins playoff games?

NFL QBs be like: “BuT wHy CaN’t YoU bUiLd A gOoD tEaM aRoUnD mE???” Because your greedy selfish ass insists on breaking mad bank and using up ~20% of your team’s salary cap on your own. The first NFL starter to “leave money on the table” and “only take 15-20 million a season” becomes a legend because his team hits dynasty status by winning multiple Super Bowls. Even though NFL contracts are not guaranteed, you’re still getting a shitload of cash up front as a signing bonus.

My broke ass will never understand how some people are wired. Once you have, say $20M in the bank, is your life really that much better with another 5-10 million? I mean, honestly, what does that get you? A second mansion? Another 3-4 exotic sports cars? Another 10’ added onto your yacht? I’d love for just one of these greedy dumbfucks to explain it to me like I don’t bust my ass for less than $100K/year and would beyond ecstatic with 2-3 million in the bank.
    Last edited by Tyson; July 22nd, 2022 at 4:47 AM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not saying this is the only aspect of it but I think part of it comes from the pressure that the players unions put on these stars to get max deals. That way the going rate goes up for all qbs and everybody, theoretically, makes more money.

As for Kyler himself, he has the talent just not the size. It's always fun to watch him weeks 1-8 but then he slowly breaks down and can't do shit by January.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    Kyler Murray gets crazy stupid money from Arizona because he might turn into an elite QB who wins playoff games?

NFL QBs be like: “BuT wHy CaN’t YoU bUiLd A gOoD tEaM aRoUnD mE???” Because your greedy selfish ass insists on breaking mad bank and using up ~20% of your team’s salary cap on your own. The first NFL starter to “leave money on the table” and “only take 15-20 million a season” becomes a legend because his team hits dynasty status by winning multiple Super Bowls. Even though NFL contracts are not guaranteed, you’re still getting a shitload of cash up front as a signing bonus.

My broke ass will never understand how some people are wired. Once you have, say $20M in the bank, is your life really that much better with another 5-10 million? I mean, honestly, what does that get you? A second mansion? Another 3-4 exotic sports cars? Another 10’ added onto your yacht? I’d love for just one of these greedy dumbfucks to explain it to me like I don’t bust my ass for less than $100K/year and would beyond ecstatic with 2-3 million in the bank.
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...kly-film-study

Apparently Kyler is required to do film study or he falls in breach of contract with Arizona.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...kly-film-study

Apparently Kyler is required to do film study or he falls in breach of contract with Arizona.

Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw one story saying this is a non issue because he does it anyways….. and I also saw a tweet from PFT saying he told a newspaper (can’t remember which one) that he doesn’t do this cuz his cognitive ability is good enough when he sees it on the field. So….. gotta love dumb dueling stories in the offseason.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caito View Post
    I saw one story saying this is a non issue because he does it anyways….. and I also saw a tweet from PFT saying he told a newspaper (can’t remember which one) that he doesn’t do this cuz his cognitive ability is good enough when he sees it on the field. So….. gotta love dumb dueling stories in the offseason.
    What I wonder is, why is it in his contract?

Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They must feel like they have pretty good cause to put it there. The amount of money they’re paying him, they want to do everything they can to make sure they are getting their moneys worth.

The better question was asked earlier today. Why in the world would either side let that get leaked out.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They must feel like they have pretty good cause to put it there. The amount of money they’re paying him, they want to do everything they can to make sure they are getting their moneys worth.

The better question was asked earlier today. Why in the world would either side let that get leaked out.
    To me, it looks much worse on Murray's side than the team's side, so that makes me think they were fine leaking it. They probably view it as the stupid tax he's gotta pay (public shaming) for the issues they've had in the past with him.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NFL Contracts are available to the other agents so everyone was always going to find out once they put it in the contract.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's just such a bad look. For everyone. It makes Kyler look dumb or lazy. It makes Arizona look like they think Kyler is either dumb or lazy. Ugh.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    It's just such a bad look. For everyone. It makes Kyler look dumb or lazy. It makes Arizona look like they think Kyler is either dumb or lazy. Ugh.
    I think it makes Murray look smug and arrogant.

Which isn't really far off of his reputation since his star-studded high school career here in texas.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to mention him quitting Texas A&M after half a season because Sumlin didn't start him right away.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
    I think it makes Murray look smug and arrogant.

Which isn't really far off of his reputation since his star-studded high school career here in texas.
    After thinking on it I understand the move now.

Arizona brings back the exciting fan favorite qb and if he doesn't get the job done the thing to blame it on is already out there and it's on Kyler not the Cards.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by _me View Post
    Yeah they've done what they wanted to do right? Put it out there that Kyler doesn't do the work needed to be a winner. They can trash the clause now. Mission accomplished.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mission accomplished of embarrassing and pissing off the guy you just promised $160M to? Certainly not going to be any long term problems from that

They might have embarrassed Kyler but it is the ultimate cut off your nose to spite your face move because it doesn't help the Cards at all.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This past winter, Murray noted in an interview that he isn't the type of guy to do lots of film study, talked about how he was blessed with the ability to just to go out and play, etc.

“I think I was blessed with the cognitive skills to just go out there and just see it before it happens,” Murray said, via Sarah Kezele of 98.7 Arizona Sports. “I’m not one of those guys that’s going to sit there and
    kill myself watching film. I don’t sit there for 24 hours and break down this team and that team and watch every game because, in my head, I see so much.”

So we can understand where the clause came from, since no other NFL QB contract has required it. The Cards wanted some assurance that he'd do a bit more film work than he had been doing. It seems that the team probably were the ones who released it, to try to embarass the guy who'd been a pain to them since last season ended.

It seems clear that neither Murray nor the Cards expected this story to dominate this offseason discussion. Funny thing is, it might have gone away very soon anyway, but the actions to remove it today just brings more attention to how much he studies film.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't believe people still believe the quotes that players/coaches/owners give reporters. How many times does it have to be shown nothing they say to reporters is true.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't believe people still believe the quotes that players/coaches/owners give reporters. How many times does it have to be shown nothing they say to reporters is true.
    Whether true of not, there are consequences for what is said and done. Murray and the Cards do not come out of this looking great. I think the Cards expected any attention would be to potentially kick Murray in the ass a little bit - especially as his teammates will undoubtedly get on him about it. What they didn't think about was that it makes them look like idiots for guaranteeing that much money to a guy who doesn't watch film, and who has historically faltered down the stretch when the newest "Call of Duty" is released.

Tearing up the clause reads to me like nothing more than damage control.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Cards are fucking stupid if they thought it was going to help at all. There is no "best case" scenario where it helps Kyler.

Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Murray still looks worse to me. The Cards can at least say that they were trying to but an incredibly expensive incentive in front of Kyler, and no matter the backlash….. if Kyler continues the trend he has had his entire pro career… they can point to it and say “see, we tried, he isn’t putting the work in”. Whether that is true or not, that’ll be up to interpretation.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kyler has won more titles in 25 years than the Cards have in 100 years. If anyone is the following their trend, it is the Cards in being completely inept.

But I agree that to general public perception, Kyler looks worse. Personally, I don't agree but I am clearly in the minority with that view. People were so excited to jump on him as soon as this came out.

In reality, the team that gave a guy 160M and then pissed him off did worse. Kyler is going to get paid and Cards get a QB who is never going to trust them again. Do you think he is going to try to recruit other players to join that shit show?

Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok. Simple solution that would’ve avoided him being pissy at the Cardinals about this supposed disrespect…..

Dont sign the contract.

Legitimately, nobody made him do it. He was already being a whiny baby by taking all mention of the team off his socials. So I have zero sympathy for him and his feelings over this lack of respect.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or he could sign the contract, keep the money and pout. That is the modern way.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of the modern way. Turns out the reason that the Patriots haven't officially named an offensive and defensive coordinator is because giving Matt Patricia and Joe Judge titles of "senior football advisor" and "offensive assistant" allows them to pay them a lot less, and forces the Lions and Giants to keep paying the bulk of their former head coach salaries.

Belichick is just smarter at finding wrinkles in the league's rules.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am kinda surprised that staffs aren't required to have certain positions filled by agreement with the union. I am not surprised that Belichick found a loophole that no one else did.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6 games for sexually assaulting 23 women. I guess each of them get him suspended for 1 quarter each. Yeah, that seems fair…

Tom Brady got 4 games for deflating footballs (with no evidence of it); DeAndre Hopkins got 6 games for taking a PED
    Last edited by _me; August 1st, 2022 at 9:51 AM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I am kinda surprised that staffs aren't required to have certain positions filled by agreement with the union. I am not surprised that Belichick found a loophole that no one else did.
    I don’t think the coaches have a union.

6 games for sexually assaulting 23 women. I guess each of them get him suspended for 1 quarter each. Yeah, that seems fair…
    Way too short of a punishment, should have been a year at the very least.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #Only6 has been trending, and will probably continue to trend until the NFL is forced by public opinion to appeal this ruling.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just reminded that Terrelle Pryor got a 5 game suspension because he got free tattoos while in college.

https://www.nfl.com/news/goodell-pry...000d5d822b4f16

Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wanna know what the hilarious part is? If the NFL appeals this decision, made by an agreed upon 3rd party, than the person who will ultimately decide the fate of DeShaun…. Is the same guy we always bitch about his suspension punishments. Herr Goodell.

Which, if Roger changes it, the NFLPA most likely will take it to court. So this will be interesting

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom Brady got 4 games for deflating footballs (with no evidence of it); DeAndre Hopkins got 6 games for taking a PED
    Calvin Ridley got a whole year for gambling on NFL games while he wasn’t playing.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the NFLPA challenge that ruling they are fucking juts. 6 games is the best you could hope for.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mozambique
    The NFLPA said immediately that they weren't going to appeal it. It's Goodell and the NFL who might, though.

They're walking a fine line where public backlash could force them to appeal so that they don't look spineless. But if they appeal a decision from a judge they appointed with the sole purpose of taking themselves out of the equation, they risk setting precedent in a negative way there too.

Despite the trending hashtags though, the backlash is actually less severe than I anticipated to be honest.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does Goodell have to appeal? Can't he just flat out add his own punishment?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has to appeal, but he is the appeal judge, so he appeals to himself. If that sounds pointless, it is, but I'm guessing there is still a formal appeal process and hearing.

It's funny that they kicked this to a third party judge and she still went lower than people wanted. I wish she would have chosen 9 or 10 games and we could be done with it. I agree it sets a bad precedent to have the NFL add more games on - ideally the third party would have just given us a reasonable punishment.

The odd thing is that the NFL only presented her with 4 of the women's accusations so we're all thinking "it's 20+ women!" and the judge is like well I only saw evidence of 4. That seems to be a main cause of the low penalty.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goodell doesn't have to be the judge. He can appoint someone else. That is why there are rumors he would use Troy Vincent instead.

The part that makes zero sense is using the punishment handed down for one assault and using that as "precedent" for 4 cases and treating assaulting 4 women on 4 different assaults the same as someone having one assault.

You break a rule four times, you get punished four times. It is like she is following the on-field NFL rules and you are only allowed to "accept" one penalty and have to refuse the rest…

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NFL ruled that the Dolphins had "impermissible communications with quarterback Tom Brady in 2019-20, while he was under contract to the New England Patriots. Those communications began as early as August 2019 and continued throughout the 2019 season and postseason."
    "In January 2022, the Dolphins had impermissible communications with Don Yee, the agent for Saints head coach Sean Payton, about having Mr. Payton serve as Miami's head coach. Miami did not seek consent from New Orleans to have these discussions..."
    NFL took away Miami's first round pick this year; 3rd round pick next year. Also fined the owner and suspended him

But acquitted him on the more serious charge of purposing trying to lose games even while admitting he had multiple conversations with his top executives and head coach about the draft being more important that winning games.
    Last edited by _me; August 3rd, 2022 at 10:15 AM.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    Belichick is just smarter at finding wrinkles in the league's rules.
    So because Belichick "accidentally" texted the wrong person, Miami loses 2 draft picks.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NFL appealing the suspension.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And they are leaking to the reporters they are going for a whole season

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quickly put the focus back on the malingned quarterback in trouble for doing what Robert Kraft did, just a few times more. The NFL does not want the attention to linger on how the owner of the Dolphins incentivized a coach to tank, and was not penalized at all for it. Give him a slap on the wrist fine and suspension, the team loses a coupla draft picks for an unrelated tampering story. Wonder if if comes out that Roger suggested that the league only give Judge Lady 4 of the couple dozen complaints, knowing she'd come up with a weak-ass penalty, just so Roger can come out looking like a knight and appeal, let's make the punishment a full year, and ohbythewaythe timing is convenient, get Steve Ross out of news cycle.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never understand why people bring up the owners. There are no owners of any business that have the same rules their employees. The owners don't have a boss. The owners don't have a CBA.

Also, there is no evidence that Kraft shopped around and solicited specific women and used over 50 women.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty sure Kraft got an hj from a place that gave hjs.

Every massage does not end that way. Watson not understanding that is the crux of the issue right? Sexual assault is what the women were claiming?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Watson had just gotten a rub and tug from people who knew that is what they would be doing, he probably wouldn't be suspended at all.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea the Kraft comparison is dumb. If you say Watson did what Kraft did then you have a very ill informed understanding of both cases.

Anyway I'm glad the NFL is going for a harsh penalty. We'll see how it plays out. It could go to court and take a long time to settle, or they could still come back to the bargaining table and reach a settlement (e.g. 12 games, $8 million fine). I don't think Watson will win in court so he should consider settling. But before all that, we have to see who Goodell appoints as the judge and then what penalty they impose. Onward we go.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I brought up the Kraft comparison because it makes it very clear that there are different standards as to how the punishments are applied to owners vs players. I get that what Kraft did (even though it was on surveillance footage) was different than Watson's actions.

The more important point I was bringing up was the timing. The league could have appealed Watson's punishment earlier, but they chose to announce it AFTER they had announced the hand slap punishment for Ross and the Dolphins. Textbook distraction, because the league clearly doesn't want anyone talking about an owner offering $100,000 to his coach for each loss.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I brought up the Kraft comparison because it makes it very clear that there are different standards as to how the punishments are applied to owners vs players.
    Is there industry/company/organization/group on Earth where "owners" are held to the same standards as their "workers"? Do we think that happens anywhere or anytime? That seems that pure fantasy to ever expect that from anyone, let alone the NFL.

Totally agree about the attempt to get Ross out of the headlines.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that the league downplayed the tanking issue but I don't think a 1st and 3rd round pick is a slap on the wrist - it's pretty significant. My feeling is they punished them for both tampering and tanking, but wrote their report to say it was just for the tampering because of the bad optics of tanking especially in regard to gambling. But to Brian Flores's credit, they seemingly didn't tank. He pushed back against the owner's comments and kept the team competitive. So yes the owner's remarks were bad and should be punished (and in my view, he was punished for them backhandedly), but it would be a much worse scandal if they actually did tank or if there was actually an exchange of money for losses.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah call me cynical but I'm surprised the Dolphins got THAT

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of Patriots reporters saying the team looks very out of sync on offense without Josh McDaniels. Big step bCk for Jones this year?

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bravo, HBO.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of Patriots reporters saying the team looks very out of sync on offense without Josh McDaniels. Big step bCk for Jones this year?
    They're reportedly switching from the Erhardt-Perkins system (which they've been using since Bledsoe) and going to a Shanahan/McVay style offense. Should be interesting to see how they look in the preseason.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    They're reportedly switching from the Erhardt-Perkins system (which they've been using since Bledsoe) and going to a Shanahan/McVay style offense. Should be interesting to see how they look in the preseason.
    You seem like a pretty realistic Boston sports fan. What are your expectations for the Pats this year?

I look at their schedule and see six probable losses (BUF x2, GB, CIN, BAL, ARI), the rest are coin flips/wins; call it 9-8 and a wildcard spot? I could see Mac Jones taking a step back because that offensive personnel doesn’t look very explosive; the defense, which looks underwhelming, will need to force turnovers and win a lot of 17-14 games. Am I in the ballpark?

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mozambique
    Why would he take a step back with the offensive personnel? The only difference I can think of is that they added Devante Parker, and spent top two draft picks on OL and WR. If anything it seems like the offensive personnel should be slightly better than last year?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you ever really replace a player like N'Keal Harry?

But seriously, the "conventional wisdom" is that McDaniels scheme created chances more than the players. And now with a worse scheme, those "average" players will struggle to create chances. And the early results from the preseason seem to be backing that up.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mozambique
    Ah for sure. I read personnel as only the roster. But yeah, I can def see coaching/scheme changes being an obstacle for a 2nd year QB.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You seem like a pretty realistic Boston sports fan. What are your expectations for the Pats this year?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I look at their schedule and see six probable losses (BUF x2, GB, CIN, BAL, ARI), the rest are coin flips/wins; call it 9-8 and a wildcard spot? I could see Mac Jones taking a step back because that offensive personnel doesn’t look very explosive; the defense, which looks underwhelming, will need to force turnovers and win a lot of 17-14 games. Am I in the ballpark?
    I'm pretty much on the same page. I'm hopeful they can repeat their 10 wins from last year - that's my goal for them. But if I had to bet my life on a prediction I would say 9-8, with a losing record certainly on the table. I think this is more like a 7-10 roster but Belichick accounts for those +2 wins.

I was bullish on their offense heading into training camp. At WR they lack a star but have great depth with Parker, Meyers, Bourne, Agholor and the rookie Thornton. I like that group, granted they could move someone like Agholor before the season starts but his contract is an albatross so they would have to eat a lot of it. Add that to 2 solid TE's and 2 solid RB's and I was feeling like Jones will make a nice sophomore leap. Then a wrench got thrown into that when the reports came out of a scheme change and the offense looking bad in training camp. Now I feel like the offense might start slow, might struggle.

I trust Bill and I'm okay if they take a step back in order to set Mac up for the long haul, i.e. the best scheme for the next 5+ years. The NFL has changed a lot, so if Bill decided this was the right time to reset and adjust - to use less full backs, less play action, more zone runs... then it's probably smart. Even before that news came out I was looking at this as a bridge year. They have some lame contracts like Agholor that will get freed up next season, and they head into 2023 (as of now) with lots of cap space to make additions. I see 2023 as the year they should return to being a SB contender.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pay Lamar.

That is all.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Pay Lamar.

That is all.
    Yep. He should end up 2nd, just behind Rodgers’ $50M.

QB salaries are fucking outrageous, the amount of stupid money thrown at dudes who haven’t done shit is astounding. In my mind/alternate reality, anything above $30M/season means you’ve got a Super Bowl victory/MVP on your resume. Of the 15 QBs () making north of $27M, only Rodgers/Mahomes/Wilson are deserving of that kind of money.

Where does this insanity end? Are we at a point where the starting QB gets an exemption and doesn’t count against the cap?

“BuT wHy CaN’t ThE fRaNcHiSe BuIlD a BeTtEr TeAm ArOuNd Me???!!!”

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    50M is a Super Bowl QB; 30M is just a starting QB.

The QBs are worth every penny; it is still less than Ľ of the cap. The WRs and RBs are the one that should never be paid.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. He should end up 2nd, just behind Rodgers’ $50M.

QB salaries are fucking outrageous, the amount of stupid money thrown at dudes who haven’t done shit is astounding. In my mind/alternate reality, anything above $30M/season means you’ve got a Super Bowl victory/MVP on your resume. Of the 15 QBs () making north of $27M, only Rodgers/Mahomes/Wilson are deserving of that kind of money.

Where does this insanity end? Are we at a point where the starting QB gets an exemption and doesn’t count against the cap?

“BuT wHy CaN’t ThE fRaNcHiSe BuIlD a BeTtEr TeAm ArOuNd Me???!!!”
    I get what you're saying but when you think about it the salary is justified. No position in sports is as detrimental to winning as qb. Not point guard in the NBA, not nothing.

Some changes to what percentage of a qbs salary counts against the cap need to be made though. These days in order to win, a team has to do that dance where they have a young qb on a rookie deal but he's playing like an 8 year vet in his prime and try to get that super bowl before they have to pay him because once they do it's a slow downhill trend.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    11 game suspension and $5 million fine for Watson, as agreed upon by the NFL and the NFLPA.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    11 game suspension and $5 million fine for Watson, as agreed upon by the NFL and the NFLPA.
    So basically doubled it. Seems much more appropriate.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So basically doubled it. Seems much more appropriate.
    If I’m Calvin Ridley I’d be so pissed.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shows what the NFL really prioritizes

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Shows what the NFL really prioritizes
    Their business model?

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not all stupid taxes are created equal.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Winning is all that matters..

..yikes

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flash forward 10 years and that dad is complaining about his kid getting accused of SA and booted from college, but still blaming the women.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
    Winning is all that matters..

..yikes
    I'd wager that this Dad is either divorced, or will be.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And by that I mean no disrespect to other divorced dads. Sometimes its just a bit easier to see where the problem stems.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Preseason Prediction Contest.

Instead of doing something like picking every division winner and award winner, I am going to do 10 simple questions. 1 point for each question. Whoever gets the most out of 10 wins.

Name the winner of the AFC West.
    Name a team who will lead their conference in wins.
    Name a player who will finish in the top 2 in MVP voting.
    Name a player who will finish in the top 2 in receiving yards.
    Name a player who will finish in the top 2 in rushing yards.
    Name a rookie who will make the Pro Bowl.
    Name a defensive player besides Aaron Donald, TJ Watt and Myles Garrett who will earn First Team All Pro.
    Name a team who will finish top 2 in total points scored.
    Name a team who will finish top 2 in fewest points allowed.
    Name the player amongst these 4 who will finish with the most passing yards: Tua Tagovailoa, Baker Mayfield, Ryan Tannehill & Jared Goff.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AFC West: Chargers
    Conference Wins: Bills
    Top 2 MVP: Herbert
    Top 2 Receiving: Kupp
    Top 2 Rushing: Najee
    Rookie Pro Bowl: Jordan Davis
    Defensive All-Pro: Jaire Alexander
    Top 2 Scored: Chargers
    Top 2 Fewest: Packers
    Most Yards: Baker

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Name the winner of the AFC West. Raiders
    Name a team who will lead their conference in wins. Bucs
    Name a player who will finish in the top 2 in MVP voting. Josh Allen
    Name a player who will finish in the top 2 in receiving yards. Justin Jefferson
    Name a player who will finish in the top 2 in rushing yards. Jonathan Taylor
    Name a rookie who will make the Pro Bowl. Aidan Hutchinson
    Name a defensive player besides Aaron Donald, TJ Watt and Myles Garrett who will earn First Team All Pro. Nick Bosa
    Name a team who will finish top 2 in total points scored. Chargers
    Name a team who will finish top 2 in fewest points allowed. 49ers
    Name the player amongst these 4 who will finish with the most passing yards: Tua Tagovailoa, Baker Mayfield, Ryan Tannehill & Jared Goff. Goff
    Last edited by Fro; August 26th, 2022 at 10:40 AM.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Allen and Jefferson and Taylor and Hutchison were so close to being my picks too

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Name the winner of the AFC West. Chiefs
    Name a team who will lead their conference in wins. Bills
    Name a player who will finish in the top 2 in MVP voting. Aaron Rodgers
    Name a player who will finish in the top 2 in receiving yards. Justin Jefferson
    Name a player who will finish in the top 2 in rushing yards. Jonathan Taylor
    Name a rookie who will make the Pro Bowl. Hutchison
    Name a defensive player besides Aaron Donald, TJ Watt and Myles Garrett who will earn First Team All Pro. Shaquille Leonard
    Name a team who will finish top 2 in total points scored. Bills
    Name a team who will finish top 2 in fewest points allowed. TB
    Name the player amongst these 4 who will finish with the most passing yards: Tua Tagovailoa, Baker Mayfield, Ryan Tannehill & Jared Goff. Goff
    Last edited by kdestiny; August 28th, 2022 at 5:57 PM.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mozambique

Instead of doing something like picking every division winner and award winner, I am going to do 10 simple questions. 1 point for each question. Whoever gets the most out of 10 wins.

Name the winner of the AFC West. [Chiefs]
    Name a team who will lead their conference in wins. [Bills]
    Name a player who will finish in the top 2 in MVP voting. [Josh Allen]
    Name a player who will finish in the top 2 in receiving yards. [Justin Jefferson]
    Name a player who will finish in the top 2 in rushing yards. [Saquon Barkley]
    Name a rookie who will make the Pro Bowl. [Sauce Gardner]
    Name a defensive player besides Aaron Donald, TJ Watt and Myles Garrett who will earn First Team All Pro. [Rashan Gary]
    Name a team who will finish top 2 in total points scored. [Bills]
    Name a team who will finish top 2 in fewest points allowed. [Packers]
    Name the player amongst these 4 who will finish with the most passing yards: Tua Tagovailoa, Baker Mayfield, Ryan Tannehill & Jared Goff. [Tua]

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When it comes to the AFC West, I switched my pick to Raiders. I'm bullish on them this year and I think they can do it. But man, that division is super exciting/competitive.

If that Raiders offense stays healthy I think they'll be extremely potent.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mozambique
    That division is gonna beat the shit out of each other just to lose to the Bills in the AFC championship and that upsets me

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All 4 are probably in the top 7 (with Buffalo, Baltimore and Cincinnati) of the AFC so it's going to be tightly contested. Then again, the Rams were in the best division last year and won the Super Bowl so oftentimes iron sharpens iron. 3-3 in the division, 9-2 out of it. As a Titans fan we need to go 5-1 in the division I think given we've got the AFC West, Buffalo and Cincinatti on the schedule.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimmy G staying with the 49ers, as the highest paid backup in the league.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea but I still reckon if another team with playoff aspirations has their QB injured, there will be a quick trade. Supposing of course Trey Lance doesn't come out of the gate looking awful.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mozambique
    I feel like keeping Jimmy G will prove to be a mistake.

Last season the word was that a majority of the locker room wanted Jimmy as their QB. You get rid of him, they're forced to accept Lance and move on. You keep him, but bench him, any of Lance's flaws are going to be under a microscope, particularly in losses.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They gave Jimmy G a no-trade clause, so I'm not sure how easy it will be to trade him.

That being said, the Niners had to restructure Jimmy G's contract or release him. If they released him, he'd have cost them $2 million. If they kept him, $24 million. No other team would accept him at $24 million, so they'd have had to eat some of that money to keep him or to trade him.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They gave Jimmy G a no-trade clause, so I'm not sure how easy it will be to trade him.
    Gotcha. I didn't read that part of the story. He would still probably want to be traded if he can become the starter in a good situation, but you're right that it throws a big wrinkle into it. If it's a not-so-great situation he could prefer to ride it out on the bench and hope his team comes crawling back to him one way or the other (via a Lance injury or benching).

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the other thing was, Jimmy G's contract was for $24 ish million, but only $2 million was guaranteed, so if he got released he'd "only" make $2 million. So even though he's taking a pay cut from $24/25 million to $6.5 million, he's assuring himself of more than he'd otherwise get, and giving himself some degree of control on his future team.

I agree with @Bandit - this puts a lot more pressure on Trey to perform well, as Jimmy G had taken that team to the Superbowl once.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True about the pressure but it's also nice to have a backup that makes you feel like even if your QB1 suffers a season ending injury, you're still a Super Bowl contender. Not a lot of teams can feel that way.

And the great ones don't fold under pressure. Or maybe they do. Maybe there is a guy who got spooked by his veteran backup and simply never became the 10-year starter he would have otherwise become.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True about the pressure but it's also nice to have a backup that makes you feel like even if your QB1 suffers a season ending injury, you're still a Super Bowl contender. Not a lot of teams can feel that way.
    Garoppolo is much closer to being a reason to keep them from being a SB contender rather than a reason why they would be a SB contender.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name the winner of the AFC West. - Chargers
    Name a team who will lead their conference in wins. - Ravens
    Name a player who will finish in the top 2 in MVP voting. - Josh Allen
    Name a player who will finish in the top 2 in receiving yards. - Kupp
    Name a player who will finish in the top 2 in rushing yards. - Henry
    Name a rookie who will make the Pro Bowl - Sauce Gardner
    Name a defensive player besides Aaron Donald, TJ Watt and Myles Garrett who will earn First Team All Pro - Jalen Ramsey
    Name a team who will finish top 2 in total points scored- Chargers
    Name a team who will finish top 2 in fewest points allowed. - Buffalo
    Name the player amongst these 4 who will finish with the most passing yards: Tua Tagovailoa, Baker Mayfield, Ryan Tannehill & Jared Goff - Goff

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Name the winner of the AFC West. [Chiefs]
    Name a team who will lead their conference in wins. [Bills]
    Name a player who will finish in the top 2 in MVP voting. [Rodgers]
    Name a player who will finish in the top 2 in receiving yards. [Kupp]
    Name a player who will finish in the top 2 in rushing yards. [Saquon Barkley]
    Name a rookie who will make the Pro Bowl. [Sauce Gardner]
    Name a defensive player besides Aaron Donald, TJ Watt and Myles Garrett who will earn First Team All Pro. [Sauce]
    Name a team who will finish top 2 in total points scored. [Bills]
    Name a team who will finish top 2 in fewest points allowed. [Bills]
    Name the player amongst these 4 who will finish with the most passing yards: Tua Tagovailoa, Baker Mayfield, Ryan Tannehill & Jared Goff. [Tua]

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lads there's a small prize for the Eliminator winner this year. Please join at the below link:

https://fantasy.espn.com/games/nfl-e...c-dc0a6e2f9483

(This message brought to you by Beefy)

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't bet on sports in a few years but Massachusetts will be opening up online betting soon - probably not in time for this season, but definitely next season. I'm going to track my picks in here just for fun and to see how I do so I know how much money I'll stand to lose next year. I often take moneyline bets but for the sake of this experiment I'll only take spreads. Starting with:

Rams +2.5 tonight

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't bet on sports in a few years but Massachusetts will be opening up online betting soon - probably not in time for this season, but definitely next season. I'm going to track my picks in here just for fun and to see how I do so I know how much money I'll stand to lose next year. I often take moneyline bets but for the sake of this experiment I'll only take spreads. Starting with:

Rams +2.5 tonight
    You know football. You'll do fine and make money so long as you don't get crazy.

This week I'm playing relatively safe since it's week one and we don't know shit yet. My safe bet is a 6 point teaser, teasing the Rams to +8.5 and the Vikings to +7.5. Because no WAY LA loses by 9 or more. No fucking way. And I'm counting on the Vikings to play like last year and never lose by more than a score. Plus I don't think GB will have its offense figured out yet.

My more risky bet is a 3 team parlay, Bengals to win plus 49ers to win plus Ravens to cover the -6.5 spread.

Let's see how I do.
    Last edited by Rancid_Planet; September 8th, 2022 at 5:25 PM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some thoughts.

- I really enjoyed the Eagles last season and with AJ Brown I know expectations are high. But I'd be scared of a letdown season here if I'm Philly fan. A lot of teams didn't see the Eagles coming last year. This year they do.

- I love the Rams and how they run their team. They didn't do the "run it back" thing and just bring everyone back for this season like Tampa did. They're staying hungry, I respect the shit out of that and they're going back to the SB.

- I think the Vikings have a real shot at the division this year. I don't think they'll be much better but they may not need to be.

- The Saints hype feels ludicrous at this point. I'm sorry but Winston is your qb. PROVE it. Until then I'm sticking with Tampa.

- Bills get the one seed. And lose at home to the Ravens. Lamar plays like a madman all season and the improved Baltimore defense gets them another ring.

- Falcons will be surprisingly better.

- Dolphins will be way worse.

- Dan Quinn's defense gets Dallas to the playoffs
    Last edited by Rancid_Planet; September 8th, 2022 at 7:09 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine
    Name the winner of the AFC West. - Chiefs
    Name a team who will lead their conference in wins. - Bills
    Name a player who will finish in the top 2 in MVP voting. - Aaron Rodgers
    Name a player who will finish in the top 2 in receiving yards. - Jefferson
    Name a player who will finish in the top 2 in rushing yards. - j taylor
    Name a rookie who will make the Pro Bowl - a hutchinson
    Name a defensive player besides Aaron Donald, TJ Watt and Myles Garrett who will earn First Team All Pro - n bosa
    Name a team who will finish top 2 in total points scored- Buffalo
    Name a team who will finish top 2 in fewest points allowed. - 49ers
    Name the player amongst these 4 who will finish with the most passing yards Tua Tagovailoa, Baker Mayfield, Ryan Tannehill & Jared Goff.: goff

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because no WAY LA loses by 9 or more. No fucking way.
    lol

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bills are very good