Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dune

Directed by: Denis Villeneuve
    Screenplay by: Jon Spaihts, Denis Villeneuve, Eric Roth
    Release date: October 22, 2021

Starring: Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Josh Brolin, Stellan Skarsgård, Jason Momoa, Zendaya, Dave Bautista, Javier Bardem

Synopsis: Dune tells the story of Paul Atreides, a brilliant and gifted young man born into a great destiny beyond his understanding, who must travel to the most dangerous planet in the universe to ensure the future of his family and his people. As malevolent forces explode into conflict over the planet’s exclusive supply of the most precious resource in existence—a commodity capable of unlocking humanity’s greatest potential—only those who can conquer their fear will survive.

-------------------

I haven't seen this yet but it seems like the type of landmark movie that deserves its own thread. I can watch it on HBO Max but if it's that good, maybe I should see it in IMAX.

Post your thoughts on the 2021 movie Dune and its sequels in here.
    Last edited by Fro; October 25th, 2021 at 2:52 PM.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I would also like to know if people read the book or not. My friend who has read the book insists it would be hard to follow if you have not. I might try to listen to the audiobook or something.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Never read the book but I remember the first film was kinda a big deal for me and my friends when we were all around 12/13-ish.

And I've watched a little over half of this one so far (normally wouldn't break it up but was unavoidably interrupted) and think it's absolute class so far. But it's definitely a tough story to just plop into with absolutely zero knowledge of the world material. You're not given much in the way of exposition - not none either, but not much respective of such an vast and rich universe - and the dialogue is often spoken in terms and language that's uniquely native to the characters/story.

I'd recommend a youtube primer video if nothing else.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got home from the theater. Almost full for a 10 PM start so hoping that's a good sign since this thing better get finished with Part 2.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Warner Bros CEO has all but flat out said there'd be a part 2. And there of course must be one or this will be for naught. Even uses 'Dune Part One' in the title scene.

Pretty bold move for not having a sequel fully green-lit.

This was jaw-dropping to look at. The size and scale of the machines - the ships, harvesters, etc - the designs of things like the ornithopters or combat shields. Of course the sandworms. Everything big and small appeared so intricately and cleverly crafted. World-building at its finest.

Would've been happy with about another 20-30 minutes more though for character and story development. Even at over 2 hours and with a planned part two there's just so much source material to unpack that it still feels a bit wanting. For instance..

Nonetheless this was superdope and I just hope the second part doesn't take too long to get here.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
    Warner Bros CEO has all but flat out said there'd be a part 2. And there of course must be one or this will be for naught. Even uses 'Dune Part One' in the title scene.

Pretty bold move for not having a sequel fully green-lit.

This was jaw-dropping to look at. The size and scale of the machines - the ships, harvesters, etc - the designs of things like the ornithopters or combat shields. Of course the sandworms. Everything big and small appeared so intricately and cleverly crafted. World-building at its finest.

Would've been happy with about another 20-30 minutes more though for character and story development. Even at over 2 hours and with a planned part two there's just so much source material to unpack that it still feels a bit wanting. For instance..

Nonetheless this was superdope and I just hope the second part doesn't take too long to get here.
    An answer to your spoiler from someone who has read the book

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by Defrost View Post
    An answer to your spoiler from someone who has read the book

Right, and I'm personally aware of that - haven't read the book but from internet digging into the mythology - but I just meant from a fuller storytelling perspective. Felt to me that that situation being explained a bit more and one or a couple others would've rounded it all out nicely.

Appreciate the answer though ..

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, and I'm personally aware of that - haven't read the book but from internet digging into the mythology - but I just meant from a fuller storytelling perspective. Felt to me that that situation being explained a bit more and one or a couple others would've rounded it all out nicely.

Appreciate the answer though ..

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I've read a bit that that was a thing in the book and it sounds great. That's basically what i was alluding to.

And I don't wanna be too tough on them about stuff like that though because you could make a 6 hour Dune film and still have gobs of material on the cutting room floor, and I ultimately really enjoyed what we got. But of it all I think the initial idea we spoiler mentioned stands out as missing. It's the essential motivation for the biggest arc of this part one.

I really should get my lazy ass in gear and just read the book. Are the follow up books worth a look as well?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I freaking loved this movie. As someone who read the book years ago, I picked it back up over the summer to refresh myself with the world before the movie. I am now on the 5th book in the series.

I would be curious to see how people who did not read the book feel about the pacing/exposition. There were some parts that were a bit quiet (or Zimmer's score was just really intesnse) but overall it was incredible.

Not sure if it is a spoiler, but I'll tag it just to be considerate:

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

And I don't wanna be too tough on them about stuff like that though because you could make a 6 hour Dune film and still have gobs of material on the cutting room floor, and I ultimately really enjoyed what we got. But of it all I think the initial idea we spoiler mentioned stands out as missing. It's the essential motivation for the biggest arc of this part one.

I really should get my lazy ass in gear and just read the book. Are the follow up books worth a look as well?
    Per your spoiler:

As for the other books, Dune Messiah is really good. Does some fun worldbuilding stuff. Books 3&4 are a bit bogged down but still good.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Ya I think I'm gonna shoot to get through at least Dune Messiah as Villeneuve has said that that's kind of his vision for a full Dune cinematic story if he can get the space to fulfill it. Fingers crossed there.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    So I've finally finished the book now, and have just began Messiah, and I gotta say now that while you don't have to read the book to really enjoy and like the film like I had already, it really does make such an enormous difference in picking up and putting together the richly immersive web that is the world built by Frank Herbert.

The people, the groups of people, their relationships, their histories, motivations.. there's such a depth to realize that film as a medium just can't quite reach. Again, I love the movie and even as a standalone it's a genuinely terrific adaptation. Just if you want to get the full experience, ya it's in that book.

Actually feel as though introducing a new generation to the written story is likely as much a motivation for Villeneuve as making a tremendous cinematic version.

And I'm also kinda kicking myself for finishing the book with so much time until Part 2 as that feels like an eternity from now and I can hardly wait.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still haven't watched Part 1, but this trailer for Part 2 is fire. I'm going to get aboard the Dune train this year in time for the November release.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    That looks glorious.

Really gotta get my ass in gear and finish Messiah now.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if Dune Messiah will be needed after this. Do they stick the landing with this movie or fall into the trap Herbert did where a good chunk of the audience doesn't realize Paul is the villain.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Villeneuve has already gone on record stating his desire to see a third film through Messiah.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Messiah should really go into Paul's reign of terror. It is pretty horrific and you can see people want him and his brood dead. I love the Scifi Mini-Series and they went with everyone hunting Paul are bad guys when at least one or two have legit good reasons to kill him expect the Benni Jesurit. Fuck them, they are the bad guys of the story.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    2nd trailer now for Part 2..

As tremendous as this is for a trailer, and even having read the book knowing what's to transpire, pretty sure I don't want to see any more now of what Villeneuve has in store to wrap this up.

Just fucking epic already.

Watching Paul refer to himself as Mua'Dib, the return of
    , seeing Christopher Walken as the Emporer Shaddam, the shield wall fight scene unfolding, Paul vs Feyd-Rautha..

Fucking hell Denis, I genuinely cannot wait.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really liked the first movie. It was better than I expected because all I really knew was the stuff from the 80's and I didn't even watch that.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Initial reviews for the premier are glowing white hot about Part 2.

Grain of salt that invitees to premiers like this tend to skew material-friendly, but given the quality of Part 1 and Villeneuve's adoration for the book itself I don't see a ton of reason to doubt the hype much less any optimism.

C'mon 2 more weeks.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get to see it next Sunday. Can't wait.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Likewise.

Only bummer is that there only two theaters in Texas with true 70mm IMAX screens.. and neither of them somehow are in Houston. So I can either drive 3 and half hours to San Antonio (Dallas has the other one) or settle for the partially cropped IMAX version here. I'm actually tempted to make the trip just cause fuck it, and as I understand the different experience is absolutely of value. But alas I think I'm just gonna chill here.

At any rate, can't wait as well.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too can't wait for this movie. First movie absolutely floored me with how good it was.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all aboard the dune train

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got back from Dune 2.

Dune is my favorite book.

You know those LotR superfans who hate the Peter Jackson movies? I kinda understand them now.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got back from Dune 2.

Dune is my favorite book.

You know those LotR superfans who hate the Peter Jackson movies? I kinda understand them now.
    u didn't like it?

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Going to IMAX Tomorrow, now I am scared.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    u didn't like it?
    I have problems with it. Especially the last 10 minutes.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I have problems with it. Especially the last 10 minutes.
    I'd like to hear why. I watched Dune Thursday night and Dune 2 today. I'm curious how they compare to the books and such.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod1983 View Post
    I'd like to hear why. I watched Dune Thursday night and Dune 2 today. I'm curious how they compare to the books and such.
    My big issues are

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    As a big fan of the book and 2001 Syfy Mini-Series, I have some thoughts about this as well. Its a visual masterpiece and I liked the additions they made to at least one character, but it sorta feels like Zach Snyder's Watchmen. Where that movie is 90% everything I wanted in a Watchmen movie and then it falls apart. Nite Owl beating the shit out of Adrian, because one of the things that made Watchmen unique is that the villain is not physically stopped, but is put in his place when Dr. Manhattan basically lays out that Adrian is a murderous scum and his master plan was not that great. Humiliating Adrian is a better defeat for him than having some punch out with Nite Owl. I also feel like the end was sequel bait for a story that already had in my opinion one of the best sequels ever already written down for you.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    My big issues are
    Thank you. Interesting for sure. Might have to read the books. I got the feeling watching that the book might expand on things more.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Just got out of the IMAX a few hours ago.. and that was pretty goddamn great. Legit sci-fi epic.

And seeing as the film/book differences are being pointed out quite a lot I'll say that I agree with some of what Defrost has to say, particularly..

On the whole though none of the deviations from the book did anything to take away from this (parts 1 & 2) being arguably the greatest, and 'prisoner of the moment' my favorite, sci-fi story ever put of film.

The maddening visuals, the character progressions, the densely rich world-building, the layer after layer of messages on politics, religion, fanatical leadership, class structure, etc.

It's likely to be quite a while but damn Messiah can't get here soon enough.
    Last edited by Percussion; March 4th, 2024 at 3:21 AM.