User Tag List

Thread: New Poll Time: Best Movie of the last 20 Years?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Poll Time: Best Movie of the last 20 Years?

I was wondering if anyone wanted to start another countdown/discussion. I was having a debate about the best movie of the last 20 years with people and thought that might be fun. I think we did 2000-2010 before but with the 'unnatural' break caused by COVID, it seems like we have some distance with 2010-2020 now.

We could also just do 2010-2020. I am open to discussion. I just like the opinions of people here.
    @Fro, @Sancty, @Bert, @Chris, @Percussion, @Nash Diesel, @3puppies or anyone else who wants to join, feel free to add suggestions.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes to either

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Maybe do the last decade first?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I'm down as well. And also not super picky about the time frame.

People shit relentlessly on modern cinema all the time about re-makes and unoriginal filmmaking in general when I think the quality of the 2010's onward has been pretty fantastic.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdestiny View Post
    Maybe do the last decade first?
    I like the first ten years more but there are plenty of good choices from just the last 10 too.

I would say a Top 10 (or 20 at most) for just the decade. Could go up to 25 (up to 40) for the century.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
    I'm down as well. And also not super picky about the time frame.

People shit relentlessly on modern cinema all the time about re-makes and unoriginal filmmaking in general when I think the quality of the 2010's onward has been pretty fantastic.
    I think the narrative about certain kinds of films (films for adults over 35) not getting made anymore is basically true. But there are still very good to great films being made.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For either option, I’d go for a Top 20 just to make it a longer countdown and have a bit more breadth outside the obvious front runners.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by _me View Post
    I think the narrative about certain kinds of films (films for adults over 35) not getting made anymore is basically true. But there are still very good to great films being made.
    How is that basically true if those films are still being made?

Honestly not sure I follow.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is that basically true if those films are still being made?

Honestly not sure I follow.
    I don't think those kinds great films are still being made (movies for people over 35) but other great films are being made. Or more accurately, they are just made much less frequently. There used to be 10+ great movies per year aimed at serious-thinking, educated adults. Now there are like 3 per year.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I don't think those kinds great films are still being made (movies for people over 35) but other great films are being made. Or more accurately, they are just made much less frequently. There used to be 10+ great movies per year aimed at serious-thinking, educated adults. Now there are like 3 per year.
    You really think there are only 3 quality films made per year for adults over 35? Really?

There are at least that many, and typically more, in the Best Picture nomination every year alone. Let alone the several not nominated.

I'm genuinely not sure what I'm missing here, bud.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It's like music. You like and still listen to music you grew up with but today's music sucks. Same thing with movies. For some people today's movies just aren't as good as what they grew up with.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    You can certainly prefer films from a previous era - 70's, 90's, what have you - and that's completely fair, nonetheless there are several films made year after year (covid era notwithstanding) that are objectively quality.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m in for this

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You really think there are only 3 quality films made per year for adults over 35? Really?

There are at least that many, and typically more, in the Best Picture nomination every year alone. Let alone the several not nominated.

I'm genuinely not sure what I'm missing here, bud.
    I mean I am exaggerating for effect but generally speaking, yes, that is what I believe.

Going by awards:

1991 nominees: Goodfellas (probably gets made still); Ghost (is a Netflix movie); Dances With Wolves (is a series); Godfather III (probably gets made 15 years sooner); Awakenings (not made)

1992 nominees: Silence of the Lambs (Netflix); JFK (series); Beauty and the Beast (Disney+); Bugsy (still made); Prince of Tides (nope)

1993 nominees: A Few Good Men (Netflix); Unforgiven (movie); Crying Game (LA/NY movie); Howard's End (nope); Scent of a Woman (nope)
    Going by money

1991 - Robin Hood (yes); Home Alone (Disney+); Silence (Netflix); City Slickers (no); Dances (series)

1992 - Batman Returns (yes); Lethal Weapon 3 (yes); Sister Act (maybe); Home Alone 2 (yes); Wayne's World (yes)

1993 - Mrs Doubtfire (maybe); Fugitive (yes); The Firm (yes); Sleepless in Seattle (Netflix); Indecent Proposal (Netflix)

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    the 2010s have certainly been dire for cinema. think of the 20 best films of the 2010s vs. the 20 best of the 2000s, it's a genuine catastrophic decline in top-level quality.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And more specifically the shift from cinema to "prestige TV". So many things that would have just been movies are now made into other things and at other places.

In 1990, Mad Men and Breaking Bad would have just been great 2 hour movies like Goodfellas instead of great 50 hours TV shows. In 2020, we probably would have gotten a Goodfellas series instead of the movie.

The real thing that has disappeared is the comedies. The 90s had like 50 comedies that are still watchable. The 2000s had at least 20. The 2010s had like 3.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm down for a discussion, but I am afraid this may turn into another superhero flick rehash. In that case, there's already a dedicated thread.

If we want to look at what people have watched, the films with the highest grossing box office numbers doesn't necessarily mean that those were the best films.

At the same time, Hollywood's standards for nominations of best pictures each year often shun certain genres (fairly or unfairly) like animated films and/or blockbusters.

I'm not sure what the best approach would be here. I am not suggesting "The Shape of Water" was in any way better than "The Black Panther". I'd rather see a list that contains movies like "42" instead of "Movie 43"

I agree that these are more fun if everyone submits a list of 20 movies.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    I'm down for a discussion, but I am afraid this may turn into another superhero flick rehash. In that case, there's already a dedicated thread.

If we want to look at what people have watched, the films with the highest grossing box office numbers doesn't necessarily mean that those were the best films.

At the same time, Hollywood's standards for nominations of best pictures each year often shun certain genres (fairly or unfairly) like animated films and/or blockbusters.

I'm not sure what the best approach would be here. I am not suggesting "The Shape of Water" was in any way better than "The Black Panther". I'd rather see a list that contains movies like "42" instead of "Movie 43"

I agree that these are more fun if everyone submits a list of 20 movies.
    That was part of the thinking when I originally said 2000-2020. Off the top of my head, it feels like the 2010s will be very heavy with MCU which is less interesting.

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    And more specifically the shift from cinema to "prestige TV". So many things that would have just been movies are now made into other things and at other places.

In 1990, Mad Men and Breaking Bad would have just been great 2 hour movies like Goodfellas instead of great 50 hours TV shows. In 2020, we probably would have gotten a Goodfellas series instead of the movie.

The real thing that has disappeared is the comedies. The 90s had like 50 comedies that are still watchable. The 2000s had at least 20. The 2010s had like 3.
    the 2000s were a lot better for prestige TV too. cultural production is just in the gutter now all around.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering if anyone wanted to start another countdown/discussion. I was having a debate about the best movie of the last 20 years with people and thought that might be fun. I think we did 2000-2010 before but with the 'unnatural' break caused by COVID, it seems like we have some distance with 2010-2020 now.

We could also just do 2010-2020. I am open to discussion. I just like the opinions of people here.
    @Fro, @Sancty, @Bert, @Chris, @Percussion, @Nash Diesel, @3puppies or anyone else who wants to join, feel free to add suggestions.
    I'm down for whatever but here's my 2 cents:

When I did best of the 90s recently I split it by Comedy and Drama, but people got confused by the word drama like "wait an action movie isn't a drama!" so if you go this route (which I'm not saying you need to do) then I would use the terms Comedy and Non-Comedy. I chose to split these out so comedies got their shine.

I don't recall us doing 2000-2010 already but maybe we did. I think doing just this decade would be a good scope to use, but if we did it already then I'm not saying we should repeat it.

2010-2020 would be fine too although personally as a voter, there would probably be a lot of well regarded movies I haven't seen yet because I don't stay on top of them in a timely way.

Doing a 20 year period of 2000 to 2020 is fine too but there would be a lot of movies to pick from, probably get more scattered results.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually don't recall the 2000-2010 one either. It was just referenced in the last thread. I would be down for that if other people want. Does anyone else remember it?

If I am being honest I really did want to do 2000-2010 movies more than 2010-2020 ones anyway. That was part of the reason I said 20 years at the start. I had been looking at movies in the 2005-2010 range and was remembering how many good ones there were.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I thought 2011-2017 was a particularly good stretch.

Intercontinental Champion Melly's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Yeah, sounds fun.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought 2011-2017 was a particularly good stretch.
    I really like the 09-15 stretch. The last half of the decade was weak to me. 2017 wasn't bad but 2016 wasn't for me

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    17 was nice, 18 wasn't much, 19 I was just terribly busy so can't say as well honestly, and 20 wasn't much for anything entertainment-wise of course.

But 16.. 16 I thought was outstanding. I thought 6 of the Best Picture noms were really terrific. And you could add at least another dozen that were in a similar ballpark or better.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can recognize the objective quality of some of them but I don't think I have rewatched any of them more than once. Most I never even saw. We are talking the Moonlight; La La Land; Manchester By The Sea year, correct? That is the year I consider "down"

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Yup.

I thought the ones you named there, particularly Moonlight and Manchester, were of utmost quality, just really topnotch filmmaking. But then many several others like - Hell or Highwater, The Handmaiden, American Honey, The Lobster, Green Room, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Arrival, Nocturnal Animals, Elle, Lion, 20th Century Women, I Daniel Blake, The Witch, Captain Fantastic, Silence, Sing Street, etc - were all in the realm of very good films with their cinema predecessors.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moonlight and Manchester are great. I just don't feel the need to rewatch them. I really like Arrival too. I think I remember liking Hell or Highwater quite a bit but the rest of those I don't think I even saw. So me not liking the year is probably about just not seeing as many movies. Too caught up in the election that year I bet

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually don't recall the 2000-2010 one either. It was just referenced in the last thread. I would be down for that if other people want. Does anyone else remember it?
    very well could have been something we did in like 2011-ish after the decade just ended. Hell I might have even run it. No idea.

also I don't recall who referenced it, but I was considering doing the aughts next so it wasn't in my head that we had already done it.

I'm trying to think tho.... Dark Knight won when I did best superhero movie.... but I don't quite remember how it would have done vs LOTR and Departed and whatnot. But I have a vague memory of Departed winning something and some people saying it was overrated. Could have been a decade roundup, maybe.

Anyway if we did it, it's been pruned. And our list would probably be different now anyway. So back to your question, I will say regardless of whether we did it already or not, the aughts would get my vote for which list to do next.

Aughts or 80s. The 10s is too recent for my personal preference, plus I would have to go heavy on the Marvel flicks.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Moonlight and Manchester are great. I just don't feel the need to rewatch them. I really like Arrival too. I think I remember liking Hell or Highwater quite a bit but the rest of those I don't think I even saw. So me not liking the year is probably about just not seeing as many movies. Too caught up in the election that year I bet
    That's fair, and basically what I said of my 2019. Just didn't have the time to watch much. Could've been really good or bleh, I dunno.

But also kinda like I was trying to say, that doesn't mean there haven't been loads of super quality films made just about every single year in the last decade+ just because one hasn't seen them.

2010 onward has really been underrated.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point, you have work harder to find the quality flicks but they are still there. And they are usually easier to watch too since they are streaming quicker. They just lack the publicity of the MCU/ SW universes.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there are no objections, I think I want to start with 2000-2009 since no one seems to remember that one. Then we can do 2010-2019 after that. I was thinking of asking for ballots by the weekend of August 7th/8th if that is enough time for everyone.

I will make a formal thread in a couple of days. I wasn't planning on separating anything into categories unless people wanted that. All movies are eligible. Documentaries too. After the final results, I can post results by genre if people are interested.

Top 25? Is that enough or do people want even more since we are trying to list all movies? I can see the logic for 25, 30 or even 40. 50 feels like too many…

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top 25 sounds good. I wouldn’t go more than 30. And I like that it’s not split into categories.

I definitely won’t have any documentaries on my list, though. I looked at this ranking of the top 25 between 2000 and 2019 and I haven’t seen a single one of them. https://www.pastemagazine.com/movies...2000-2009/#1-- I would have seen more from the last decade but I don’t think any would creep into a top 25 movie list for that period.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    This should be fun.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The official thread has been posted. https://forums.rajah.com/showthread.php?t=154927

Should be some fun results. Ballots due August 8th.