User Tag List

Thread: 2021 postponed Olympics

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 postponed Olympics

Since Covid postponed the Olympics a year, and there will be no crowds, will anyone be watching?

I feel bad for most of the athletes involved,

They won't get enormous crowds chanting for them.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I will watch some stuff here and there and highlights. I used to watch as much as I could in the past but not enough time anymore plus I don't always care for what NBC decides to show us. I like watching a bit of it all if I can.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve never been a huge Olympics guy anyway but I don’t think the lack of fans will affect how much I watch. It’s definitely not good though. Not just the no-fans but all of the Covid protocols like how the medal presentations will be different. But this is no different than what all American sports went through last year so we’re used to it. I will still watch here and there like I always have.

I do feel bad for the athletes but also for Japan. It sucks for the country as a whole to have your olympics kind of ruined by the pandemic and also for the citizens who are still going through a lockdown and don’t even want the Olympics anymore.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was never really a fan of the Summer Olympics outside of Phelps swimming and in 1996 when the women won the gymnastics gold. I much, much prefer the winter games.

I don’t think I would have watched more than a few minutes of something in the background so I won’t be missing much.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Always adored the Olympics. The fastest man on the planet, the oldest sport of all time wrestling, diving, boxing, the original Dream Team, even gymnastics is super fun at the Olympics imo.

I don't think fans in attendance is as big a deal at the games versus other regular sports events. The fans are always just kinda there at the games, often not even included in the TV frame. The opening and closing ceremonies will feel different though.

And Japan is fucked. There are host cities - looking at you Brazil - that many several years later are still wrestling with recouping from Olympic expenses, and they had fans paying in attendance and throughout their cities bars and restaurants, etc.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and daughters love Simone Biles and the ladies gymnastics. So there's no doubt it will be watched in our household.

I am much more appreciative of the "real" sports where they don't have judges fucking someone over. In the winter, it's speed skating over figure skating for me.

In the summer, I will enjoy the water polo and swimming much more than diving or synchronized swimming. Because any fool watching - like me - can easily tell who should win. Track and field are the best, but I also enjoy cycling.

I never liked the bullshit sob story packages they put together for TV to try to get us to care about some of these participants. During the last Olympics, we were on vacation in Europe and the international broadcast was so much better.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Should have made a throwing maga babies into a wood chipper joke. That doesn't get you in trouble.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rough look when it's an international event and the host country fought with Germany in WW2. Like imagine if Germany was the host and the olympic director had a holocaust joke under his belt? I couldn't figure out the context of the joke since the video is in Japanese, but yea, even if the context was "not bad" I think this is a fairly reasonable firing given what the job is and the Jewish athletes that will be competing.

I read this article thinking damn how many people did they fire but the other one I looked into was the musical director fired for his past bullying. At first I was like damn just for bullying? But... I'll spare you the sick details but that dude deserved to be fired. Especially because it's also the paralympics and this guy did really sick stuff to disabled kids.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Rough look when it's an international event and the host country fought with Germany in WW2. Like imagine if Germany was the host and the olympic director had a holocaust joke under his belt? I couldn't figure out the context of the joke since the video is in Japanese, but yea, even if the context was "not bad" I think this is a fairly reasonable firing given what the job is and the Jewish athletes that will be competing.

I read this article thinking damn how many people did they fire but the other one I looked into was the musical director fired for his past bullying. At first I was like damn just for bullying? But... I'll spare you the sick details but that dude deserved to be fired. Especially because it's also the paralympics and this guy did really sick stuff to disabled kids.
    Dude, it was 23 years ago. Did they find this shit on a VHS tape?

I just think there should be a statute of limitations on canceling people for minor offenses.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude, it was 23 years ago. Did they find this shit on a VHS tape?

I just think there should be a statute of limitations on canceling people for minor offenses.
    Video did exist in 1998, yea. It wasn't a home video pulled from a personal camera, it was during a taped performance.

But when did getting fired and getting cancelled become the same thing? I'm not saying he should be cancelled, just that it's reasonable to be fired from this job given what the job is. He can still direct other ceremonies.

And again I'm judging this without context of the skit since it's in another language. Context is important and I don't know what exactly was said or the premise. So I can only go on what info I have.

There's no statute of limitations on saying offensive shit, though I do think it's a factor.

Being fired from the Olympics when Japan is the host for making a holocaust joke is one of the more reasonable scenarios for firing someone over speech (or "cancelling" them, if that's you're preferred nomenclature) IMO. I mean we're talking international relations here.

Just my 2 cents.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Bummer for Simone Biles. One of the absolute greatest to ever do it looking to put a definitive GOAT stamp on her career and it just wasn't happening.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She will make movies next. Gymkata 2

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine
    Interesting article about US Olympic coverage:
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ment-151037763

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Table tennis has been my favorite thing of these olympics so far. That kayak slalom shit was wild.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched USA vs Spain men's basketball last night and it was a pretty good game. Australia is next up in the semi finals. Bring home the gold, KD.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    The shared Gold in the high jump was dope. The nod from Qatar to Italy like “We good?” got me all kinds of happy crying.

Shout out to the athletes like Simone Biles who are prioritizing their mental health. Huge props.

Win one for Christine Sinclair, ladies; the GOAT deserves to go out with a Gold. LET’S FUCKING GO!!!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Did Biles suffer from some kind of discernable mental health ailment or did she just get a seriously shit case of the 'twisties', aka the gymnastic yips? And are we parsing any difference here or maybe deciding it's not necessary and mental health is just a catch all for any time someone isn't at their best unrelated to physical performance? Like for instance Chuck Knoblauch and Rick Ankiel suffered from mental health situations at different points in their careers.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
    Did Biles suffer from some kind of discernable mental health ailment or did she just get a seriously shit case of the 'twisties', aka the gymnastic yips? And are we parsing any difference here or maybe deciding it's not necessary and mental health is just a catch all for any time someone isn't at their best unrelated to physical performance? Like for instance Chuck Knoblauch and Rick Ankiel suffered from mental health situations at different points in their careers.
    Man, I remember listening to the Mets vs Cardinals game in my high school parking lot in 2000 when Ankiel essentially forgot how to pitch while he was on the mound. That was rough to hear.

For Biles, I think she has stated she goes to therapy to help a mental health issue but didn't specify what the issue is. I'd like to see more athletes prioritize their mental health over anything else. Michael Phelps had a brief interview on the Olympics the other day to discuss his mental health as well, admitting he struggled at times. It was important for Dak Prescott to say something similar last year.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I heard she lost a name change bet on a wrestling forum.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
    Google Simone Biles/Larry Nassar, you dumbfuck…

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Hahahaha.. fuck you're embarrassing.

I wasn't even shitting on her you weirdo. I actually respect the fact that she stood down from the competition as to not hurt her teams chances and to not get herself seriously injured. It's completely reasonable.

But go ahead and keep soldiering you super hard internet warrior badass you.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Just wait until he makes it about Trump somehow. It's his go to move.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hell of a run by the Slovenian ballers. Heartbreaking way to miss out on the gold medal game.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Absolutely stoked for Kyle Snyder vs Abdulrashid Sadulaev III tomorrow morning for gold and to settle their immense rivalry.

They've given up all of a combined 2 points (both by Snyder but whatevs) on their ways to the final. Just destroying paths to meet each other once again.

Captain America vs The Russian Tank. All-timer type of shit.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Gable Steveson is a future WWE champion.