Semi-Final 1: kdestiny vs. Psycho

Kdestiny

vs.

Psycho666Soldier

The air is getting thinner.

The tensions rise.

The battle for the final is on.

Topic:
    Wrestlemania-the culmination of the year's events and stories. The main event serves as both a culmination and springboard. Some serve both purposes well. Others are quickly relegated to the dustbins of history, never to see promotion on Peacock

Your topic: Select two female competitors to compete against each other in the Main Event of the next Wrestlemania. You may choose any two female competitors who are currently under contract with WWE. Demonstrate why your selections is superior to your opponent's.

RULES:

- You each have 24 hours to respond from the time a post goes up (please make BBF and myself aware of any potential delays). You may make up to 3 posts this round .A maximum word count of 450 words per post will be allowed.

- All posts must be staggered. You can't make your next post until the other debater has had their turn. As stated, replies should typically occur within 24 hours.

- No editing of posts allowed. Anything that is posted the first time is what will count so choose your words carefully.

-The first post for the second poster shall not directly rebut points made by the first poster in their initial post.

- Pictures, gifs and videos can be used in literally unlimited amounts to support your point. Information should be self-contained within your post. For example, you can't post a link to an article and expect people to go read it. Quote it in your post.

The order of posting will be determined by a coin toss. The coin toss has revealed that Psych will be going first!

Your Judges:
    Virms
    Jarrod
    Badger

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The WrestleMania Main Event is a spot to make moments that people remember for years to come. It’s natural that it becomes the biggest spotlight in which to create new stars. WWE did a fantastic job of taking advantage of that in giving Sasha Banks and Bianca Belair the chance to main event this year’s WrestleMania with resounding success. The match over-delivered and it was a defining and crowning moment for Bianca. Not only did she win the Smackdown Women’s Championship in the main event of WrestleMania, she came out of it looking like the biggest deal in the company.

And it’s clear those with influence are behind her all the way. Listen to these immense words of praise from Paul Heyman:

WWE sorely needs to invest in the future, and an opportunity like this – with a one-of-a-kind talent like Bianca – needs to be exploited. I believe the best course of action is to keep the momentum up on Bianca in order to further cement her legacy with the best WWE has to offer. In doing so, not only will they invest in the future, they will also deliver a program that really sells the magnitude of the moment.

And as they say, if you want to be “The Man,” you’ve gotta beat “The Man”

Becky Lynch vs. Bianca Belair has a lot of things going for it. Bianca already planted seeds in the above video. Both have experience in the only two women’s main events in WrestleMania history, and are the only two to have come out victorious. Both have won the Royal Rumble to do so. Both have NXT credentials but rose to the top without winning the “Big X.” And these are just background things.

Most importantly, Becky Lynch is WWE’s biggest star to come through the women’s division. While Charlotte seemed destined to be anointed as The Queen, Becky found a side of herself that transcended the gender barrier and made her stand out ahead of the entire roster. She makes feuds feel real and personal, with a flair for the mic only the wrestling elite can manage – something Sasha lacks. The one thing missing from Bianca’s program with Sasha was a compelling build. But Becky Lynch has proven that she can generate heat for a feud that reaches beyond the trappings of the face-heel dynamic the biggest problem plaguing this year’s outing.

There are multiple paths to get there, but Becky vs. Bianca is a slam dunk that can’t be replicated. It capitalizes on the rising star of Bianca Belair with someone known for bringing out the best from her opponents, and has a record for hooking fans. It’s a win for everybody.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Take a look at some of the most recent main events in history you only have a few in the past decade that didn't have established top guys with Rollins/Lesnar/Reigns and Miz/Cena being really the only two, the latter having the star power of the Rock.

You need star power.

You look at the best main events in WM History. Rock/Austin II, HBK/Taker II (at Mania at least), Benoit/HBK/HHH, Warrior/Hogan. All but one had been established as a top guy and even then Benoit had the crowd behind him because of his work in the ring.

So you need to be established. Those matches aren't only remembered for their in ring action, but are remembered for the stories they have told. There was a history there that they could work off of. They were performers at arguably their peak in every way and they gave us a hell of a way to go home.

To try to find those things in the women's division might be difficult. Especially considering they really haven't had a crowd to help tell whether they have done their jobs well or not. Do you dip into the pool in NXT? That didn't go so hot for Rhea on her first go round at WrestleMania.

Some of the best stories that have been told in the women's division over the past couple of years have been done TO DEATH. That adds an extra layer of difficulty to this choice. How can you choose a pair that has some sort of an established history without choosing a story that people around forums everywhere are already sick and tired of (Looking at you Charlotte).

I wanted to make sure I chose two women who are arguably at the top of their game, have the star power necessary for the main event, and have the history together to really build up a story.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pjimage-91-696x392.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	10

Bayley has been the best heel in the women's division over the last year, and there is no bigger babyface that you can get for the main event than Becky Lynch.

This is one story within the history of the 4 Horsewomen that hasn't really been told. A big reason being they have both pretty much been face their entire main roster run. Now with this new funny, heel Bayley you have the opportunity to have some really fun promos and will lead to magic in the ring with both being some of the best women in the world. Reward Bayley for her incredible work with a title run and the match in the main event against maybe the most over wrestler in WWE.
    Last edited by kdestiny; April 22nd, 2021 at 11:23 AM.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally understand your pick. We clearly agree Becky is a necessary star for this spectacle. I floated a couple options that involved Bayley, including yours. The problem with choosing her is that she falls short regardless of which booking philosophy you adhere to.

If you believe the WrestleMania Main Event should be about pushing new stars:
    Bayley already falls short. She’s a multi-time Women’s Champion, including the inaugural Tag Team Champion, and is the longest reigning Smackdown Women’s Champion in history. She has multiple years of tenure and exposure both on the main roster and in NXT. She’s also told a lot of stories with a lot of other women on the roster already. Unfortunate as it is that she did not have a proper slot at WrestleMania, she’s had plenty of time in the sun and is firmly established.

Bianca Belair, alternatively, spent most of her first year on the main roster on Main Event, not being properly featured until drafted to Smackdown in August. She has plenty of stories to tell with only one title reign under her belt. Despite her lack of experience, she has knocked it out of the park with every opportunity given to her as far back as NXT, while also being given a strong push that has been organic - putting her in a unique position that makes her the better choice under the other philosophy.

If you believe the WrestleMania Main Event should be about delivering the biggest match:
    Bayley clearly has a lot of credentials as I established above. But the fact is she is damaged goods that needed to be salvaged after WWE massacred her babyface run. The fact they couldn’t find anything worthwhile for her at WrestleMania 36 shows they still don’t have the balls to book her with the respect of a major star. You may like her 2020 work, but since you brought it up, no crowd means we had no way to gauge the reception of her run. Meanwhile, the most recent litmus test shows an unmistakable fervor for Bianca Belair:

Bianca’s main roster exposure has contained consistent wins, consecutively breaking Royal Rumble records, and a perfect run from Rumble to WrestleMania championship victory. She shares the exclusive distinction of being in one of the only two women’s WrestleMania main events, and being one of two women to come out from it victorious. She has unique credentials no one else can take from her while still being young and fresh.

And she’d have the opportunity to prove she’s not a fluke against the first woman to win a WrestleMania Main Event.

The story writes itself, and goes deeper if you’ll follow me once more.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Good show.

Bianca/Becky is a fun choice for sure, but there are flaws here.

The fact that you are calling Bayley damaged goods is funny because you are choosing someone who spent most of the last calendar year floundering while my choice in Bayley made a switch to make herself the best female heel in wrestling.

Bianca is on her way up, but she has not gotten to a point where I would be comfortable putting her in a main event, especially against Becky Lynch.

Why?

Who is the heel?

If it's Bianca, then it doesn't matter how much she gets cheered in any clip, it will be how much heat she can garner. She was pretty much relegated to 2nd tier heel in NXT and she is okay on the mic at best.

I assume you didn't choose Becky to be the heel did you?

Despite her time in NXT being spent mostly as a heel, Bianca never really got her footing.

Bayley, meanwhile, has carried Smackdown on her back as the leading heel lady over the past year.

You put her together with one of the hottest acts wrestling has, then there is magic. She elevated Sasha to where she is now because she was a believable heel for Sasha to overcome.

Bianca, despite being more than capable in the ring, hasn't really gotten to show much of that and especially not on the main roster. I think that is for good reason. You can't make the main event of WrestleMania based on in ring talent alone.

This story is ready made, there have already been seeds planted based on the last 6 years of being part of the 4 Horsewomen. You get to finally delve into this relationship that hasn't gotten to be explored because their time on the main roster was spent with both of them as a face. Bayley has proven that she can be a heel and a very capable one as I have said. You bring the Man back to face this version of Bayley and the script writes itself. Both are already more than capable in the ring. You need to be able to deliver more.

You can go several ways with this and I think that is very key... using a personal jealousy, maybe Bayley works to get the title and Becky is handed a title shot, maybe Bayley makes Becky earn her spot just as Bayley had to while Becky was away, Bayley has replaced Becky... I could go on. These layers tell a story that is definitely capable of main eventing WrestleMania and very well should.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “The Man” Becky Lynch makes her triumphant return to Smackdown seeking to retake her throne. Bianca has had a strong run of defending her championship against multiple challengers, including a traded Charlotte. Finally, The Man comes around and steps up to Bianca. Becky recognizes Bianca’s shown out against the rest, but someone who can’t go 30 seconds without crying isn’t going to beat The Man.

That’s the angle Becky takes. And their first encounter proves her right. Bianca refuses to tap, but Becky takes Bianca’s arm as she’s forced to lose due to ref stoppage – taking Bianca out for a bit to sell the angle and make up for however early Becky first returns.

Bianca returns and earns a shot at Becky for WrestleMania. She’s more focused and hardened than before. Becky thinks she hasn’t changed claims a rematch will be a repeat, proving that last year’s WrestleMania was a fluke, and that Becky is the WrestleMania main event. Meanwhile, Bianca is fired up more than ever to conquer the one Horsewoman she couldn’t beat, earn her title back, and prove she’s the true star of WrestleMania.
    Details of Becky’s title win aside, this framework is a perfect setup. It plays off the history of WrestleMania, making this a story followable by causals and building on the general mythos of both WWE’s biggest show and the involved personalities. It capitalizes on the unrivaled star power of Becky and sets up Bianca to enter a tier of renown and kayfabe no other woman can achieve. It’s a natural story that has firm seeds planted and caters naturally to the strengths of both women.

Becky can play heel here and the crowd will be ready to eat it up. But it doesn’t matter if she is. The story goes deep into the roots of each character that it’s believable and will gain heat whether there’s a defined bad guy or not. And as proven by this year, once the bell rings, all that matters is the energy of that night, which Becky can easily play up the heel card for the occasion.

You sell Bianca short due to opinions on her NXT run, but the reason her heel run didn’t stick is because she has an It Factor that made her over with fans. Everything you say about why Becky/Bayley will be magic applies to my proposition. But Bayley had to work for that same connection every time. She cannot compare to the raw star power of Bianca, which is now backed up by an incredible main roster record. She’s proven herself at WrestleMania, whereas Bayley has struggled to get on the card. She is the suboptimal opponent for Becky Lynch.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Becky will play the heel?

This Becky?

The problem isn't only with Becky playing the heel and getting cheered, it's about having Bianca playing the face and getting booed. Let's talk WrestleMania history...

You realize we are talking about Becky Lynch? Someone who was pretty much the female Stone Cold before she had to leave due to her pregnancy. You remember what happened when Stone Cold turned heel?

I think it would be very bad business for WWE to repeat that history, especially with Becky RETURNING. It's not like she's been around during the last year, she's been gone. Fans are going to want to see her more. She isn't going to get booed. She was acting as a semi-heel prior to that video I posted, but the crowd kept getting behind her.

That kind of thing could be very damaging to Bianca. Imagine her going over and getting booed because the hottest star in WWE lost to her. You don't want to approach face Roman territory.

Bianca's run in NXT isn't opinion, it's right there. She was never a threat there as a heel. You want to run her as a babyface against the biggest star WWE has. I could stop my argument here.

Your argument that Bayley had to "work" to connect is... it's pretty silly. Doesn't everyone "work" for that connection? Hell, even Becky had several years on the main roster before she found it. So are you going to tell me that she doesn't belong because she had to "work" for that connection?

Bayley worked alright, and she got to a point to where she is delivering some of the best promos in WWE today AS A HEEL. No need to turn Becky Lynch for this one. You can let her be the Lass Kicker again.

A clear story between a true ass kicking babyface and a smart, cocky, big-mouthed heel. You don't need to utilize "WrestleMania History" because these two ladies have history. That story can get personal from the start, and with their mic skills I have no doubt that they could create a compelling story. Bell to bell, there may not be two better in ring story tellers in the women's division today.

The good that comes from this would be massive. Bayley can finally cement herself on the level of her 4HW counterparts, and maybe this can get Becky a little more out of Charlotte's shadow.

You need to be able to have a compelling story, I am not sure I can trust Bianca to deliver on the mic.

Give Becky the best female heel that WWE has in Bayley, they both deserve it..

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This debate is now closed.

Who will have an opportunity to join the Wilfred's immortals?

And who will swear undying vengeance and ask for a rematch at Wilfred's Backlash?

Probably nobody, because Wilfred's Backlash would be a terrible concerpt.

@Jarrod1983 @virms @ProblematicRoss

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    s it Destiny or is it Psycho?
    They’ve locked this debate down.
    But whose stock is up?

Judge ProblematicRoss

Judge Comrade1983

Judge Virms of the 9 realms

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd have gone with Charlotte Flair vs. Shayna Bazsler.
    Someone who is firmly entrenched at the top and someone who may or may not jump to the top eventually.