User Tag List

Thread: Debut Them Today: Switches Them From Face to Heel or Reverse

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debut Them Today: Switches Them From Face to Heel or Reverse

Thought this might make a interesting or funny thread in some regards. Just on the changing of the times it's hard to see how many characters would be allowed to come out in their original form in today's landscape or would have to be majorly tweeted.

But also I think a lot of characters could stay very much the same and would switch roles automatically.

Examples:

Goldust - WWE played of peoples homophobia/transphobia for this one to get heat on him. Today with people a lot more accepting and especially how gay and trans people are portrayed by the media would mean they just wouldn't be able to do that. He could come in as a face though and be championing the same things they made him play a heel off.

Muhammad Hassan - minus the terrorists part. His initial gimmick before they went daft was basically an American who was being racially abused because of 9/11 and basically picked on for the colour of his skin and name.

Rights To Censor - this one is a bit more middle ground but I guess we got Daniel Bryan in a similarish role and he was still a heel not long ago. Still though the world is a lot more tolerable to a group like these nowadays as they were in the early 2000s.

There must be loads of big bad foreigners who came through as heels just because they were foreign.

On the other side would Austin just stay a heel. Can't imagine a guy getting drunk at work and having no problem laying women out gets over as much today.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Rock and Cena too. Making homophobic rhymes and songs in their early days, defo heels.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sgt Slaughter would be a face, support our troops, etc.

Chief Jay Strongbow would be a heel for his "cultural appropriation"

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Romford Pele View Post
    The Rock and Cena too. Making homophobic rhymes and songs in their early days, defo heels.
    That's not how they debuted though. They debuted as super white meat babyfaces that would probably-and actually did wind up-getting booed out of the building. That homophobic stuff came later.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chatty View Post
    Thought this might make a interesting or funny thread in some regards. Just on the changing of the times it's hard to see how many characters would be allowed to come out in their original form in today's landscape or would have to be majorly tweeted.

But also I think a lot of characters could stay very much the same and would switch roles automatically.

Examples:

Goldust - WWE played of peoples homophobia/transphobia for this one to get heat on him. Today with people a lot more accepting and especially how gay and trans people are portrayed by the media would mean they just wouldn't be able to do that. He could come in as a face though and be championing the same things they made him play a heel off.

Muhammad Hassan - minus the terrorists part. His initial gimmick before they went daft was basically an American who was being racially abused because of 9/11 and basically picked on for the colour of his skin and name.

Rights To Censor - this one is a bit more middle ground but I guess we got Daniel Bryan in a similarish role and he was still a heel not long ago. Still though the world is a lot more tolerable to a group like these nowadays as they were in the early 2000s.

There must be loads of big bad foreigners who came through as heels just because they were foreign.

On the other side would Austin just stay a heel. Can't imagine a guy getting drunk at work and having no problem laying women out gets over as much today.
    To be fair Austin didn't debut with that gimmick.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah Austin would probably still be over as a face. The Debra stuff no doubt would probably cause more controversy today (if fast forwarding time and he committed that today) and I think from what I read Debra was open and Austin was in a very bad place and they made good. I think today he’d get more over but the ethos would still be too big to be let go/made a heel.

Plus what Nash just said.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tensai debuts as a face against John Laurinaitis.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Ali's debut gimmick is pretty much Hassan's gimmick as a face

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hassan had the best music for interrupting a promo ever.

Mentioned
    505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Austin drinking beers and flipping off "the man" still gets over. Personal life stuff would likely take him out of action quicker.

If we're talking backstage and at home vs. gimmicks I think its too different thing.

If Right to Censor debuted today, they would be called "Cancel Culture" and they would be the biggest online heels that the world had ever seen.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Impact had a short-lived stable that was that exact concept and they were called Cancel Culture

Mentioned
    505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dammit.

No wonder I didn't know

WWE's would be bigger. Like when they stole different concepts from the Knockouts.

And to avoid copyright, we would have to call it......."Cancel Culture Club"

And the war with the actual Culture Club would become the stuff of LEGEND

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or how about an Inner Circle rip off called the Outer Square?

Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard of the Road Warriors and the Kabuki Warriors but I think it's time for the Social Justice Warriors...

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    I've heard of the Road Warriors and the Kabuki Warriors but I think it's time for the Social Justice Warriors...
    This is the one.

Now I want Bryan, Ali, Keith Lee, and Sami Zayn to form a heel stable called the Social Justice Warriors and inevitably be cheered because they're so good.

Mentioned
    505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am absolutely there for it. And now demand that the Social Justice Warriors debut the night after Wrestlemania

I think a guy like Al Snow would get over well today. Good sense of humor. That would play well in the social media era. Fans appreciate work quality now

In fact you could still bring him in a callback to his days as a a trainer. Pair him with a younger guy like Wesley Blake. as Al imparts life lessons in the ring, Blake would share new perspectives with Snow

Team SnowBlake would be huge

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
    I am absolutely there for it. And now demand that the Social Justice Warriors debut the night after Wrestlemania

I think a guy like Al Snow would get over well today. Good sense of humor. That would play well in the social media era. Fans appreciate work quality now

In fact you could still bring him in a callback to his days as a a trainer. Pair him with a younger guy like Wesley Blake. as Al imparts life lessons in the ring, Blake would share new perspectives with Snow

Team SnowBlake would be huge
    Then brutally cancel him for his past behaviour pushing for intercourse with mannequins.

Mentioned
    443 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Is rather debut them forty weeks from nos

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Romford Pele View Post
    What would this imply for Billy and Chuck?

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WWXChairman View Post
    What would this imply for Billy and Chuck?
    Well that was all a publicity stunt as they pointed out so probably nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saba Simba would be stuck teaming with Apollo as a heel

Also I can't see slaughter debut as anything but a face.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Well that was all a publicity stunt as they pointed out so probably nothing in the grand scheme of things.
    More like a tag team match headlining WM Billy and Chuck vs. The Rock and Cena. Billy and Chuck obviously stomp.