Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wilfred's Debate Round 2 Match 1:Kdestiny vs. Simon

Wilfred's Debate Round 1:

kdestiny

vs.

Simon

Topic:

As fans, some of our favorite moments are often seeing a performer win Gold for the first time. It can create a moment that will be remembered. Alternatively, elevating the wrong performer to champion can leads to months of wasted time and opportunity.

Your topic: Select a male performer who should win either the Universal or World Heavyweight title for the first time (cannot have previously held EITHER belt) prior to Wrestlemania .2022. Demonstrate why your selection is superior to your opponent's.

RULES:

- You each have 24 hours to respond from the time a post goes up (please make BBF and myself aware of any potential delays). You may make up to 3 posts this round .A maximum word count of 400 words per post will be allowed.

- All posts must be staggered. You can't make your next post until the other debater has had their turn. As stated, replies should typically occur within 24 hours.

- No editing of posts allowed. Anything that is posted the first time is what will count so choose your words carefully.

-The first post for the second poster shall not directly rebut points made by the first poster in their initial post.

- Pictures, gifs and videos can be used in literally unlimited amounts to support your point. Information should be self-contained within your post. For example, you can't post a link to an article and expect people to go read it. Quote it in your post.

The order of posting will be determined by a coin toss. The coin toss has revealed that kdestiny will be going first!

Judges for the Match:
    Virms
    Jarrod
    Mr. Nobody
    Last edited by Mazer; March 30th, 2021 at 12:02 AM.

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Last edited by kdestiny; March 29th, 2021 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Fixing the picture

Simon
    Looking at the current rosters, the truth is there aren't many plausible names left that don't have a big title to their names. So I think what we're looking for here is someone who has untapped potential, someone who needs a little tweak to their character to become a legit threat.

So how about Keith Lee?

With the greatest will in the world, this guy is not a champion:

But this guy...

This guy could be a champion.

Give him that killer instinct that he lacks and you have an instant, ready-made top guy. He's huge, he's good on the mic and he can go in the ring. Remember Backlash 2000, when Big Show was messing about pretending to be Hulk Hogan? And then Angle pissed him off, Show's face changed and he turned him to paste in seconds? THAT is what Keith Lee can be. Give him some of that Samoa Joe energy, turning away from the cuddly bear shit and into a killing machine. A focused, intense Keith Lee against the increasingly arrogant and complacent Roman Reigns? That is money.

You could even play on the character twist a little bit, let him show his fun side every now and then...just don't piss him off, because he will beat you into submission with one swipe of his mighty paw. Have him try to show sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct in competition like Cena, even frame it as a weakness that underhand heels can take advantage of - but always running the risk that they make him snap.

And if you want to turn him heel, no problem. He's huge and powerful, and has a natural charisma that can draw heat organically and convincingly. Have him throw Bryan around, or run through the mid-card for fun like Lesnar used to. Right now, he's 'just' a big, strong guy, but he isn't scary. Give him that fear factor and you have a champion ready to go.

Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    A solid choice indeed.

Interesting especially considering we are moving toward his 3rd month being off TV.

All reports say that the luster seems to have come off of the rose for Keith Lee. They had the chance to make him a HUGE star.

So when they bring him to the main roster, what do they do?

They change his entrance music and his attire completely. His highlight on the main roster is a victory vs. Randy Orton that happened in September, and since then who knows where he's been. Injured? Lost in the shuffle?

If reports are to be believed then Vince has given up on making Lee a star. You can refute this, but similar reports have been made about Andrade and Aleister Black and where are they at now? How about Ricochet?

Keith Lee couldn't be any colder at the moment. Sami Zayn by his own admission has been doing some of his best work and it is hard for me to disagree. His heel run has been nothing short of astounding. The fact that he has added so many layers just shows how creative he has gotten and how he's been able to evolve himself.

You brought up a few moments which is all good, but they aren't moments Keith Lee was involved in. Keith Lee hasn't shown us much other than his athletic ability and his somewhat sub-par promo skills as a babyface in WWE. He hasn't shown us that he has the ability to be any more than that.

While I don't doubt Keith Lee in the ring, Sami Zayn is in a class of his own. When did Keith Lee sell as an underdog babyface? Maybe against Dijakovic? Sami made his name on being the Underdog from the Underground and he had quite a following. When he turned heel, there must have been doubters but he proved everyone wrong by adding this conspiracy theorist deal and natural ability on the mic.

When has Keith Lee shown that he can cut a promo even close to Zayn?

He is a cool mf-er, I will say that, but his delivery is always somewhat unnatural.

Zayn has shown to be a believable all around performer. He has shown that when given the ball as a babyface or a heel he can run with it. Let him be the real Champion of the people again.

Tell me you can't see this guy as a World Champ after this.

Simon
    You're right that Keith Lee hasn't been on TV recently, but why can't that be the fuel for him to come back and start smashing people's heads in? In his time away he's got angrier and angrier about the lack of respect given to him, and that anger has fomented into a focus and an aggression that makes him a threat to everyone on the roster. Have him interact with a few comedy guys like R Truth who are expecting the fun Keith...only for his face to turn cold, expressionless, before he batters them. Then you can let him loose on the big players. There's no reason why someone like him can't be a threat to the very top guys in the federation if he's packaged correctly.

As for Sami...I like him, he's got a bit of everything. But he doesn't have that indefinable quality you need to be a top star. There's a reason he leans so heavily on the underdog thing - it's because he can only ever be that guy. He can't be an elite tier superstar, he just doesn't *quite* have it. The famous "B+ player" quote that Stephanie applied to Daniel Bryan in kayfabe applies to Sami in real life. It's not a criticism - being on the second rung of the biggest and best wrestling company in the world is an astonishing achievement. But to reach the top of that ladder you have to have something extra.

It's all well and good serving up consistently good matches and entertaining character work, but that's not the same as bringing that 'big fight feel' that you get with the top stars. When Sami Zayn comes out, I lean back in my chair and know I'm going to see something fun. When a true STAR comes out, I lean forward in my chair because I want to feel like I'm part of it. Keith Lee dishing out violence and posing a new threat to the likes of Reigns and Lesnar would get me on the edge of my seat. Sami Zayn coming out to a Reel Big Fish rip-off while looking like Michael Rapaport starring in a sequel to the Passion of the Christ...who's buying that as a threat to the established elite?

Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    I want to thank Simon for comparing Sami to Daniel Bryan himself so I didn't have to.

While making that point you think that Keith Lee should return and get himself over by (no offense) taking out the face of the 24/7 Championship?

If that is where you want to start with Keith, then you will need a lot more than the next year to make him seem like any sort of a credible threat. He hasn't even had the chance to show that side of himself if it exists. All we have seen is this cool guy who wants everyone to "Bask in his Glory". That won't get him that far. Who is he really? What's his identity?

The lack of mic time that he has gotten and the fact that they wanted to overhaul him completely is concerning too. Sending him back to train to wrestle like a "big man" isn't what he needed and I can't see that helping his confidence whatsoever. If you are going to rebuild Keith Lee, you are going to need to really put in the time and effort, and right now it seems like WWE and Vince McMahon aren't bothered. He disappeared without a trace.

Sami Zayn has been on another level as a heel since returning. He has added a new layer to the typical "chicken-shit heel" by also being a very smart one (handcuffs anyone?).

The "big fight feel" argument is interesting. Sami debuted on the main roster against John Cena and had a hell of a showing. Look at his Takeover history vs. Neville, KO, Nakamura, Breeze... You can think that maybe he is just doing something fun, but obviously Vince and Co. are invested in him by giving him the ability to cut the promos that he has. I could see it leading to a huge face turn and then we are off to the races. He could go down a similar path to someone like Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Sami Zayn is only scratching the surface. I do see that you glossed over his social media prowess and his crossover appeal by reaching out to Logan Paul. He is a huge YouTube star and as annoying as both brothers are he will bring a lot of new eyes to this product that wouldn't have given it a second thought before. Let the man have his moment!

Simon
    You've repeatedly talked about where Keith Lee is at the moment, as if this is proof that he can't be a top guy...but history says that isn't true. WWE has misused plenty of talent, and Keith Lee is far from the first potential superstar to get ignored in favour of the same group of established names, often ones that are ten years or more past their prime. You're absolutely right that the WWE don't seem to be bothered with him, but that's what we're here to do - this whole debate is about saying "here's a guy that has yet to be a champion, but who absolutely could be one".

I don't think the connection to Logan Paul is the match-winning point you think it is. I'm here to suggest a name that can make wrestling fans happy, not add a couple of zeros to the pay cheques of WWE shareholders. Successful celebrity additions to Wrestlemania are few and far between, and adding a fame-hungry gobshite like him to the card is surely not what any genuine wrestling fan wants to see.

I wouldn't deny for a second that Sami Zayn could make a good champion. He's doing interesting, fun stuff that is a little different from the norm. What I'm saying is that Keith Lee has everything needed to be a long-term main event mainstay, if he's just given the opportunity, and he can do it without aligning himself with a Youtube star that is there for no reason other than to promote himself.

Everything that is good about Sami Zayn works perfectly fine without the belt around his waist. If anything it could even distract from the unique gimmick he has going at the moment. I keep coming back to the same word, but if you repackage Keith Lee with FOCUS and have him tear through the division, you have a believable, charismatic top tier guy that can put on great matches with anyone you care to match him with, freshening up a stale main event scene in the process.

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two men entered. Only 1 will leave

Well, physically, both will leave

But spiritually, one will never leave this thread.

@Mr_Nobody @virms @Jarrod1983

....speak your minds.

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the best reviews of all-time was recently written in the Godzilla thread.

And as a result of this review, now we know that this debate is better than Godzilla vs. Kong, because at no point did I feel that I was sucking the points through my finger.

Excellent work, my friends. Excellent work.

Judge Badger

Judge Comrade 1983

Judge Virms of the 9 realms

Simon
    Cheers lads, really enjoyed the debate and definitely thought kdestiny won, I mean I don't personally think Sami needs a world title push and I was still sold on the idea because of kdestiny's arguments

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These were really fun to read, great job by both guys. I'd have voted for Simon because of his final argument - I had them even after the first two rounds.

Kdestiny did have me convinced that Sami could pull off whatever he sets his mind to do - if they make him to be a champion and let him still somehow claim he doesn't get any respect from the company - he'd find a way to do it. Sami would probably come up with something like they'd put the women's championship on after him - they'd never have done that for Hogan or Austin or Cena or Brock, so it clearly means they don't recognize his value. Sami has the ability to take kayfabe to a whole nother level, because he'd committed to his character and makes us believe he believes it. Sami is so good, he has made us forget the days of Braun tossing him in a dumpster.

But Simon pointing out that everything about Sami can be done without him having the top belt, and IMHO, Kdestiny didn't do enough to refute the fact that allowing Keith Lee to tear up the division would really benefit the main event scene.

I enjoyed this so much, I wish they could have gone on for another couple of rounds each.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This really was a great showing. Hold your head high, Simon - you put up a hell of a fight, and as evidenced by the judge vote, had some winning arguments in your posts.