User Tag List

Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: New Music Generator

  1. #1
    Not asleep The Beer Monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    10,042
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    237261
    uk

    New Music Generator

    Quite a few years ago when I still listened to Radio 1, they did a feature where a listener would send in old bands they like and then would get suggestions of new music they might like based on their taste.
    I thought something similar might work here.
    I really donít listen to the Radio much anymore or watch any music tv, so my exposure to new music is a bit limited.
    In this thread people would list their music taste through some bands they like and any one and everyone can make suggestions of new music they might like that they might have missed.
    Iíll start us off, so Iím a fan of the following:

    Oasis
    The Prodigy
    Metallica
    Rage Against The Machine
    Foo Fighters
    Rag n Bone Man
    Gerry Cinnamon

    Some of you know I am very easy to please with music and absolutely love everything, so will be super easy to chose for.

    So get to posting your tastes and recommendations.

  2. #2
    I'm always watching you.. MMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    34,121
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    232840
    I have been banging the drum for Goat for a couple of years now.

    They are a weird band., a Swedish rock band with metal and African stuff. They wear masks all the time so nobody knows who they are.

    The girls kind of chant rather than sing but that's part of the charm. Musically they kind of remind me of Black Sabbath.

    They are deffo on my bucket list of bands to see live whenever we are able to do so again.


  3. #3
    I'm always watching you.. MMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    34,121
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    232840

  4. #4
    Not asleep The Beer Monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    10,042
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    237261
    uk
    I like this already.

  5. #5
    Not asleep The Beer Monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    10,042
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    237261
    uk
    Ok just listened to the first few tracks from Requim in the car. Initial thoughts: quite heavy on the jazz flute and Rock Recorder. But don’t dislike it.
    Temple Rythms sounds like it was recorded sat around on a big rug with copious incense burning, whilst all in full masks. A bit on the Vegan Rock side perhaps.
    Alarms could of come off a Tarantino soundtrack. So far so good, looking forward to hearing more.

  6. #6
    I'm always watching you.. MMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    34,121
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    232840
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beer Monster View Post
    Ok just listened to the first few tracks from Requim in the car. Initial thoughts: quite heavy on the jazz flute and Rock Recorder. But don’t dislike it.
    Temple Rythms sounds like it was recorded sat around on a big rug with copious incense burning, whilst all in full masks. A bit on the Vegan Rock side perhaps.
    Alarms could of come off a Tarantino soundtrack. So far so good, looking forward to hearing more.
    Their first album World Music is probably their best one (it's my favourite anyway). Requiem is a bit more "poppy" and folky than their other two albums (as much as a Swedish Voodoo music band can be anyway) but it does have Trouble in the Streets and Goatfuzz which are some of their best work I reckon.

  7. #7
    OBJECTION Psycho666Soldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toke Park, IL
    Posts
    14,867
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    488759
    If you like The Prodigy and other dark electronic stuff, you might dig FILMMAKER:



    Think it's just one person from Colombia who put out a shitload of albums last year. This is the main one I've listened to, and I fell in love. The first track, Mirror Slave, and Data Sluts are the songs that really stand out for me.

  8. #8
    OBJECTION Psycho666Soldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toke Park, IL
    Posts
    14,867
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    488759
    Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    I have been banging the drum for Goat for a couple of years now.

    They are a weird band., a Swedish rock band with metal and African stuff. They wear masks all the time so nobody knows who they are.

    The girls kind of chant rather than sing but that's part of the charm. Musically they kind of remind me of Black Sabbath.

    They are deffo on my bucket list of bands to see live whenever we are able to do so again.

    I'm also really intrigued to check this act out after your description/endorsement. Plus, being a Sub Pop definitely helps for reputation reasons.

  9. #9
    OBJECTION Psycho666Soldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toke Park, IL
    Posts
    14,867
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    488759
    There's also this album he just released the other night. I came across it after a long night of finishing homework and was getting ready to go to sleep. WIthin like 20 seconds of listening, I ended up keeping myself up to listen to the entirety of the work:


  10. #10
    Not asleep The Beer Monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    10,042
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    237261
    uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho666Soldier View Post
    If you like The Prodigy and other dark electronic stuff, you might dig FILMMAKER:



    Think it's just one person from Colombia who put out a shitload of albums last year. This is the main one I've listened to, and I fell in love. The first track, Mirror Slave, and Data Sluts are the songs that really stand out for me.
    Not got round to listening to this yet, will try to today.

  11. #11
    E-Bow The Poster Rancid_Planet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Where's Bill Casey?
    Posts
    25,233
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    748110
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beer Monster View Post
    Quite a few years ago when I still listened to Radio 1, they did a feature where a listener would send in old bands they like and then would get suggestions of new music they might like based on their taste.
    I thought something similar might work here.
    I really don’t listen to the Radio much anymore or watch any music tv, so my exposure to new music is a bit limited.
    In this thread people would list their music taste through some bands they like and any one and everyone can make suggestions of new music they might like that they might have missed.
    I’ll start us off, so I’m a fan of the following:

    Oasis
    The Prodigy
    Metallica
    Rage Against The Machine
    Foo Fighters
    Rag n Bone Man
    Gerry Cinnamon

    Some of you know I am very easy to please with music and absolutely love everything, so will be super easy to chose for.

    So get to posting your tastes and recommendations.
    I recommend Dinosaur Pile-Up for you.

    Dirty Honey maybe.

  12. #12
    I'm always watching you.. MMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    34,121
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    232840
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beer Monster View Post
    Quite a few years ago when I still listened to Radio 1, they did a feature where a listener would send in old bands they like and then would get suggestions of new music they might like based on their taste.
    I thought something similar might work here.
    I really don’t listen to the Radio much anymore or watch any music tv, so my exposure to new music is a bit limited.
    In this thread people would list their music taste through some bands they like and any one and everyone can make suggestions of new music they might like that they might have missed.
    I’ll start us off, so I’m a fan of the following:

    Oasis
    The Prodigy
    Metallica
    Rage Against The Machine
    Foo Fighters
    Rag n Bone Man
    Gerry Cinnamon

    Some of you know I am very easy to please with music and absolutely love everything, so will be super easy to chose for.

    So get to posting your tastes and recommendations.
    Have you tried Poppy's latest album "I Disagree"?

    May sound a bit of an odd one but it's one of the best albums I have heard in years, I believe it's what the kids these days call a "banger".

    It's properly weird too but in a good way.

  13. #13
    Not asleep The Beer Monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    10,042
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    237261
    uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    I recommend Dinosaur Pile-Up for you.

    Dirty Honey maybe.
    I still haven’t properly listened to these yet, but need some stuff to listen to on walks so will soon.

  14. #14
    Not asleep The Beer Monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    10,042
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    237261
    uk
    Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    Have you tried Poppy's latest album "I Disagree"?

    May sound a bit of an odd one but it's one of the best albums I have heard in years, I believe it's what the kids these days call a "banger".

    It's properly weird too but in a good way.
    Not gonna lie, when iTunes describes someone as “as much of a performance artist as a singer” alarms bells are ringing.
    I’m 2 tacks in, it feels like the soundtrack to a Japanese cartoon, the sort with plots you can’t understand. It’s also reminding me of the mentalness that is the film Casshern.

  15. #15
    I'm always watching you.. MMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    34,121
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    232840
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beer Monster View Post
    Not gonna lie, when iTunes describes someone as “as much of a performance artist as a singer” alarms bells are ringing.
    I’m 2 tacks in, it feels like the soundtrack to a Japanese cartoon, the sort with plots you can’t understand. It’s also reminding me of the mentalness that is the film Casshern.
    Ignore what iTunes says!

    Interesting the part about not understanding the plot as I get that would make sense if you know nothing much else about her. Her background is pretty weird career wise but if you know it the album makes perfect sense lyrically, basically its her "fuck you" album. She was a performance artist I suppose, her whole gimmick was/is that of a vapid manufactured (literally, an android) pop star that was obsessed with the internet, youtube and fame (which created some brilliant, funny and utterly weird videos) but her producer/boyfriend during this time was allegedly a narcissistic prick who tried to control everything she did.

    She is very into Japanese culture so the influences are deffo there. She really is quite hard to explain in a couple of paragraphs but this is what she was doing about 4-5 years ago during her pop stage (This is still a cracking bit of pop by the way...)


  16. #16
    I'm always watching you.. MMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    34,121
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    232840
    Compared to this a couple of years later...


  17. #17
    Shit is orrrn Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    When I die they'll put my face on money
    Posts
    134,937
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    871882
    zimbabwe
    Great idea for a thread TBM, I'll give a few ideas soon

  18. #18
    Not asleep The Beer Monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    10,042
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    237261
    uk
    Other people should feel free to list their taste and get some recommendations.

  19. #19
    I'm always watching you.. MMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    34,121
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    232840
    Yeah I wouldn't mind some new stuff to listen to.

    I like a lot of things, my main bands/acts that are fairly well known at least are:

    REM (Moreseo the earlier albums)
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Belle and Sebastian
    Cat Stevens
    Skunk Anansie
    Husker Du
    Rage Against the Machine
    The Stooges
    Small Faces
    Air
    Later Beatles (anything after Rubber Soul)

    I also love a bit of foreign stuff or obscure music. Big fan of 60's French Ye Ye music and a bit of prog rock too. I also dabble in classical music, the likes of Satie mainly.

    Oh and Video game music, love a bit of that.

  20. #20
    Shit is orrrn Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    When I die they'll put my face on money
    Posts
    134,937
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    871882
    zimbabwe
    I'll add some related bands later MMH but I just wanted to say that Cat Stevens is the man.

    EDIT: Try these

    Brett Dennen - Ain't No Reason, She's Mine
    Glen Hansard - Say It To Me Now, Falling Slowly
    Schuyler Fisk - From Where I'm Standing
    The Avett Brothers - I And Love And You
    Joe Purdy - Wash Away
    The Amazing - Dragon
    Loudon Wainwright - Daughter
    Alexi Murdoch - All My Days
    Fionn Regan - Dogwood Blossom

    Also pretty much any song that ever appeared in Scrubs.
    Last edited by Simon; March 6th, 2021 at 9:37 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •