User Tag List

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 NFL Thread

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd probably swap Baker with Tannehill but that's about it for me in terms of the top 12. I could go either way between Stafford and Tannehill so I'm not willing to put up a fuss with the ordering there haha.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I think Baker could jump into the top 10 if he continues to improve. Same with Herbert.

Looking at Tannehill's stats, they are close to Kirk's last season.

I get they hype of Lamar Jackson, but he was 22nd in passing yards. I think they hype is the playmaking ability.

Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    Without thinking on it too much I'd put Ryan at 8 and move everyone back a notch.

Maybe just take Lamar out of the top 10 entirely though...I mean I love watching him play too but cmaaaahn.

I understand your reasoning, but the quarterback position is so different now. Even if Lamar isn’t a great thrower (which he isn’t) he still has such a large impact on the game and very often is the reason why the Ravens win right now.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not saying Lamar isn't a playmaker. Just saying his total inability to hit an open reciever keeps him out of the top 10. Probably. Again I do love watching him play. An argument can totally be made either way.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I mostly agree with Rancy. Until you can consistently do qb things behind late in the game when the defense knows you have to do qb things then I think your game lacks full on top 10 type stuff.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Julio Jones on the trading block. Patriots currently the favorite to land him. Rumors are that all it would take would be next year's 2nd round draft pick. But since Belichek is Belichek, I don't see the Patriots giving that much, even for someone at Julio's level - still a top talent. Bill prefers to get rid of talent before they start to fade.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen everything from the Patriots, to the Jags, to the Colts, to the Raiders, to the Niners, to the Chargers, to the Titans with Julio.

New England and Las Vegas don't sound very exciting but the other ones do provide some intrigue so...I assume he goes to one of those two lol.
    Last edited by BGMaverick; May 24th, 2021 at 3:16 PM.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    Julio Jones on the trading block. Patriots currently the favorite to land him. Rumors are that all it would take would be next year's 2nd round draft pick. But since Belichek is Belichek, I don't see the Patriots giving that much, even for someone at Julio's level - still a top talent. Bill prefers to get rid of talent before they start to fade.
    they gave up a 2nd for Sanu so I don't see why they wouldn't do the same for Julio Jones. I think the Titans are another option.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Julio to the Colts please.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I’d love to see Julio in Niners gear, but we just don’t have the necessary assets to make that deal.

If Julio really wants a shot at competing for a playoff berth (and the Super Bowl), he’s probably best off swallowing his pride and staying in Atlanta. Tampa is probably the favorite to win the NFC South, but the Falcons could very well finish second and get a Wildcard spot.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rodgers talking about Green Bay and things at the moment:
    "With my situation, look it's never been about the draft pick, picking Jordan. I love Jordan; he's a great kid. [We've had] a lot of fun to work together. Love the coaching staff, love my teammates, love the fan base in Green Bay. An incredible 16 years. It's just kind of about a philosophy and maybe forgetting that it is about the people that make the thing go. It's about character, it's about culture, it's about doing things the right way."

More on Green Bay:
    "But it is about the people, and that's the most important thing. Green Bay has always been about the people -- from Curly Lambeau being owner and founder to the '60s with [Vince] Lombardi and Bart Starr and all those incredible names to the '90s teams with coach [Mike] Holmgren and Favrey [Brett Favre] and the Minister of Defense [Reggie White] to the run that we've been on. It's about the people.

"I think sometimes people forget what really makes an organization. History is important, legacy of so many people who've come before you. But the people, that's the most important thing. People make an organization, people make a business and sometimes that gets forgotten. Culture is built brick by brick, the foundation of it by the people, not by the organization, not by the building, not by the corporation. It's built by the people.

"I've been fortunate enough to play with a number of amazing, amazing people and got to work for some amazing people as well. It's those people that build foundation of those entities. I think sometimes we forget that."

TL;DR
    He loves just about everyone but the front office.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could see the Patriots pulling the trigger on Julio. Tough to know if he'll return to peak form after his injury issues last year, but it would be a classic buy low move similar to Moss.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by BGMaverick View Post
    Rodgers talking about Green Bay and things at the moment:
    "With my situation, look it's never been about the draft pick, picking Jordan. I love Jordan; he's a great kid. [We've had] a lot of fun to work together. Love the coaching staff, love my teammates, love the fan base in Green Bay. An incredible 16 years. It's just kind of about a philosophy and maybe forgetting that it is about the people that make the thing go. It's about character, it's about culture, it's about doing things the right way."

More on Green Bay:
    "But it is about the people, and that's the most important thing. Green Bay has always been about the people -- from Curly Lambeau being owner and founder to the '60s with [Vince] Lombardi and Bart Starr and all those incredible names to the '90s teams with coach [Mike] Holmgren and Favrey [Brett Favre] and the Minister of Defense [Reggie White] to the run that we've been on. It's about the people.

"I think sometimes people forget what really makes an organization. History is important, legacy of so many people who've come before you. But the people, that's the most important thing. People make an organization, people make a business and sometimes that gets forgotten. Culture is built brick by brick, the foundation of it by the people, not by the organization, not by the building, not by the corporation. It's built by the people.

"I've been fortunate enough to play with a number of amazing, amazing people and got to work for some amazing people as well. It's those people that build foundation of those entities. I think sometimes we forget that."

TL;DR
    He loves just about everyone but the front office.
    Whoa. Somebody in that Packers organization desperately needs to mend the relationship with their franchise QB, or else move him for pennies on the dollar. You simply can’t have a mercurial angry Rodgers causing a disturbance come August.

I thought the GM Gutekunst was the problem but the Chairman/CEO Murphy didn’t exactly get a vote of confidence here from Rodgers. Who would be above Murphy in the publicly owned Packers organization? I guess it would be the Board of Directors via majority rule, but holy shit is that getting complicated.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well prepared statement by Rodgers, for sure. He's dug in.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "The binary race norms, when they are used in the testing, assumes that Black patients start with worse cognitive function than whites and other non-Blacks. That makes it harder for them to show a deficit and qualify for an award."

Yea that sounds fucked up. It seems like them using race-norming was already known (?), and the news here is that they're stopping using it, but I had never heard of this practice before. Sounds like some racist ass science.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    So the story behind 'race-norming' itself is actually kinda interesting to read up on, but irrespective of all of that here the NFL's abuse of it is really quite atrocious.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right. And I mean I've heard the theory/debate of black people being not as smart based on testing data, and a racist would say it's biological while a non-racist would say it's caused by socioeconomic factors (nurture not nature). While I'm not familiar with race-norming specifically, I can see how using that data to give black people a boost in some standardized tests makes sense to even the playing field. But using it to deny insurance claims on the basis that their cognitive function started lower? Oof. Yea that is sleazy.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    The NFL is sleazy as fuck? I. Am. Shocked.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Raise your hand if you know some stupid ass white people.

Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cue the Will Smith meme in Concussion where he says “Tell the Truth”

Im awful at posting memes and gifs here

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    Raise your hand if you know some stupid ass white people.
    I resemble that remark

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caito View Post
    Cue the Will Smith meme in Concussion where he says “Tell the Truth”

Im awful at posting memes and gifs here
    Big Show pronounces meme as "maymay." That 's the best thing about memes.

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Looks like Julio is going to Tennessee for a 2nd round pick and maybe a swap of picks or a bit more
    Last edited by kdestiny; June 6th, 2021 at 11:51 AM.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on those rookies in Atlanta who can finally sign their deals lol.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    This is huge for the Titans. Julio and Henry in the same offense. AJ Brown is a good compliment to Jones as well

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, fuck.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdestiny View Post
    Looks like Julio is going to Tennessee for a 2nd round pick and maybe a swap of picks or a bit more

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good deal for the Titans. I wanted him here in New England. He's 32 coming off a hamstring injury. He could start to fade into mediocrity or he could age like Larry Fitz and get right back to his elite ways. We'll see, but I think he's worth a 2nd and 4th especially for a team like the Titans that's trying to win now.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless he absolutely breaks down, Julio in Tennessee seems like a very strong fit...especially if their defense isn't as good as they hope they can get it to in terms of ability. Full health for the Titans on offense, it's a pick your poison approach as an opposing defense.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll be interesting to see how we make moves to take on his salary. At last check I think we had seven dollars in cap space.

But this may more than make up for the loss of Davis (not really a loss) and Jonnu Smith. So the offense could be just as good, the defensive line much improved. Defensive secondary is sketchey but if we can get to the qb that doesn't matter as much.

If Jones turns back into anything resembling his past self then there is zero reason not to win the division with Texans rebuilding, The Jags being the jags (Urban Meyer means nothing to me right now)' The colts become the one area of concern and I don't like the qb.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah the AFC South is a two team race right now. Jags need to prove it. Meyer usually always took a better job in the past, so a strong start was easy to see at Florida and Ohio State. The off-field stuff has been questionable, but I imagine he'll retire again in two-three years if it doesn't work out right away.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As soon as Urban has two losing seasons in a row…

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by _me View Post
    As soon as Urban has two losing seasons in a row…

Correct!!

#MikeTheMizVoice

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off season filler question: who are the active players who will be hall of famers?

I will categorize these into "already there" and strongly trending:

Already there, i.e. if they die tomorrow they're in:
    Brady
    Rodgers
    Gore
    Fitzgerald
    Gronk
    JJ Watt
    Donald
    Peterson
    Von Miller

Trending Strongly, i.e. I expect them to get in but if they die tomorrow they might not:
    Khalil Mack
    Mahomes
    Mike Evans
    Julio Jones
    Travis Kelce

That's all I got after thinking about it for 3 minutes. Who else?

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Donald deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

Big Ben probably gets in someday, but the QB wing is crowded. His rings help his case.

I don't consider Brees as retired yet since he played last year and this year hasn't started. Vinateri belongs as well.

Zeke Elliott is on the trending strongly list.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely forgot Big Ben. He's in.

Brees and Vinatieri are retired so I didn't include them, but they're first ballot. Fitzgerald and AP are free agents but haven't retired yet so that's why I included them.

DeAndre Hopkins should be included with Julio and Mike Evans as WRs who are trending to get in. Evans is the least dominant of these 3 in terms of yards and spectacular plays but he scores a lot and is the only player to start his career with his first 7 seasons all going for 1,000 yards. He's the most borderline of the guys I mentioned... he needs longevity to get in, because he's good but not dominant.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Russell Wilson is pretty close if not already in in many people's minds.

So is Bobby Wagner.

Quenton Nelson is really only a matter of time.

Geno Atkins is lowkey probably already in.

Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Russ seems a high probable.

Jason Peters? (I felt like there had to be an O-lineman)-SB, all 2010s team, 9 pro bowls.

Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Richard Sherman's chances.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree about Richard Sherman.

It wouldn't completely surprise me if Kaep gets in, 50 or 60 years from now. Maybe not in my lifetime, possibly not even in his. But it is quite likely that he will be looked at by some distant future veterans' committee as having been ahead of his time, and having sacrificed his career for social justice, etc.

Zach Martin is on the right path. Love that guy.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    @Donald deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.
    I don't think I've ever seen a whole game of American Football.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mozambique
    Well you're arguably the greatest defensive tackle of all time nonetheless, so be grateful

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richard Sherman was arrested on suspicion of burglary w/domestic violence and is being held without bail. Seems like a terrible situation in which he attempted to force his way into a home he didn't live in.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There has to be more to it than that. Isn't Sherman an NFLPA top guy? I recall he's a fairly smart guy who legit got accepted to Stanford on academic merits. Hard to imagine what pissed him off.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since Sherman represents himself, and he is currently a free agent. No team and no agent to get in front of this for him. We won't be hearing details for some time.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    You think he's not going to have legal representation?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since Sherman represents himself, and he is currently a free agent. No team and no agent to get in front of this for him. We won't be hearing details for some time.
    I mean we pretty much know all the details already. And it’s not good. Potential DUI, hit and run (granted he only hit a barrier), domestic burglary and resisting arrest. We’ll see if his blood work comes back with anything other than alcohol. But I don’t think this is the end of his career and I don’t think he’ll go to jail. Looking at a sizable suspension, I’ll guess 6 games. I think he plays this season.

And it’s not that surprising he’s got anger when you look back at the Crabtree stuff in that infamous post game interview.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 911 tapes were released. His wife called and said he was drunk and threatening suicide. Hopefully he gets the help he needs if he's suicidal. If there's one positive in this it's that no one innocent was injured from what was reported. He didn't hurt anyone while he was driving drunk and managed to not hurt the children at the house. It also took the police dog to subdue him.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cops deserve credit again here. Its not hard to imagine this situation turning a LOT worse.

In other NFL news, Dwayne Haskins got punched out by his wife, who knocked his tooth out. Ouch. Domestic violence is not a laughing matter, but I'd probably wager that at least someone (coach/team mates etc.) will try to make fun of him for it.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the articles I read said that the cops had him calmed down and talking normally until they mentioned they had to arrest him. Then he got upset again and that's when they had to bring the dog out.

If I'm Dwayne Haskins I'm filing for divorce ASAP. Get her out of the house.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives

I'm glad for Ray's sake that he didn't come through..

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The police report is also pretty wild in regard to their efforts to get him subdued, and describing the lead-up events (he was bear maced by his father-in-law, etc). Thank god he didn't get killed by either his father-in-law or the cops. This could have gone much worse. Can you imagine if the story was instead "Richard Sherman killed by police"?

While the police report may ham it up a little bit and make it sound like they were taking down The Hulk, we know pretty clearly that he was in fact out of his mind and is a very big/strong person and ultimately they got him detained without using firearms so kudos to them.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I hope he gets the help he needs. Even though he was released the suicidal threats he made are very concerning.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope the suicidality isn't an early symptom of CTE or any permanent brain trauma. But whatever is causing it, I hope he gets the help he needs before he harms himself or anyone else.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I'm assuming he was just hammered. And upset.

Hammered and upset is a helluva drug.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cam Akers is out for the year due to an Achilles injury.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll likely know more in the coming days but it seems Aaron Rodgers will play for the Packers this year but he is making sure he can get out of there next offseason. Okay, fair enough. This whole thing was overhyped by the media, and fair play because it's the offseason and we need storylines. I don't mind the drama.

But my gut reaction on all of this remains the same as it always was.... how the hell did the Packers screw this up so badly? Why the hell did they draft Jordan Love? It's just a bafflingly bad decision. Rodgers will only be 37 this season. Old, yes, but we've seen Tom Brady win an MVP in his 40s. This is the new era. QBs can keep playing.

I just can't fathom it. And 1 year from now if/when Jordan Love is the new starting QB for the Pack and god forbid he's not good.... history will only make this look worse. I wouldn't wanna be Jordan Love after all this unless he's a Pro Bowl player pretty much immediately.

As for Rodgers, I have a hard time imagining any scenario where he stays there after this year. Even if they do the damn thing and win a 2nd Super Bowl..... idk. I still feel like he'll want to leave. The trust is gone.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    But my gut reaction on all of this remains the same as it always was.... how the hell did the Packers screw this up so badly?
    Just because someone is in a managerial position doesn't mean they're good at managing. Gutekunst has seen Rodgers and felt like he was declining in 2019, thus the pick of Love, and Rodgers made them look bad last season. You pissed off a vengeful man and he's going to make sure, one way or another, he gets his way.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    You alienate not only your franchise QB but also your star WR. Good job good effort, now pack your shit…

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    We'll likely know more in the coming days but it seems Aaron Rodgers will play for the Packers this year but he is making sure he can get out of there next offseason. Okay, fair enough. This whole thing was overhyped by the media, and fair play because it's the offseason and we need storylines. I don't mind the drama.

But my gut reaction on all of this remains the same as it always was.... how the hell did the Packers screw this up so badly? Why the hell did they draft Jordan Love? It's just a bafflingly bad decision. Rodgers will only be 37 this season. Old, yes, but we've seen Tom Brady win an MVP in his 40s. This is the new era. QBs can keep playing.

I just can't fathom it. And 1 year from now if/when Jordan Love is the new starting QB for the Pack and god forbid he's not good.... history will only make this look worse. I wouldn't wanna be Jordan Love after all this unless he's a Pro Bowl player pretty much immediately.

As for Rodgers, I have a hard time imagining any scenario where he stays there after this year. Even if they do the damn thing and win a 2nd Super Bowl..... idk. I still feel like he'll want to leave. The trust is gone.
    It is one of the most bone of headed moves I've seen. Classicly bad situation handling. And it's not like they didn't know Rodgers is one of those guys that has to be handled carefully.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Between the Mets being in a tailspin and now Wentz being out for 5-12 weeks, looks like I'm rooting for...MLB Opening Day 2022.

At least I have two fantasy teams to root for.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine
    It's just a threat the Bills make every ten years to get new renovations or a new stadium. They've been doing it since the 70s.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    It's absolutely a negotiation lever, all the way up until the city says no and it becomes a reality.

Not like this hasn't happened many several times in many several cities.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bills are not going anywhere. They're one of a few cities who understand they are fucked without the NFL, and the taxpayers will probably pay for them to get renovations and better WIFI etc.

Tough to imagine, though, just when they are getting good, is when they will leave.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    First Wentz out 5-12 weeks and now Quenton Nelson with the same timeframe with the same injury/surgery.

Ouch.

Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bones coming out of foots everywhere.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
    First Wentz out 5-12 weeks and now Quenton Nelson with the same timeframe with the same injury/surgery.

Ouch.
    I literally have nothing to look forward to until MLB Opening Day 2022.

Congrats to the AFC South champions, the Titans!

Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You’re a colts fan?

I expected one of the NY teams

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You’re a colts fan?

I expected one of the NY teams
    Yup, big time Colts fan.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Really sucks for the Colts. I listen to the Pat McAfee a few times a week, and he has done a great job of hyping them up.

I just wish the Vikings QB room would get vaccinated. Does anyone else think the vaccine percentage will plateau once the only remaining players who are unvaccinated are people who know they aren't getting cut?

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeSplitter View Post
    Really sucks for the Colts. I listen to the Pat McAfee a few times a week, and he has done a great job of hyping them up.

I just wish the Vikings QB room would get vaccinated. Does anyone else think the vaccine percentage will plateau once the only remaining players who are unvaccinated are people who know they aren't getting cut?
    Yup. The number of those vaccinated is quite impressive, all things considered, but I imagine everyone on the bubble is getting vaccinated so they have that feather in their cap. That would then lead to the scenario you outlined.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Josh Allen getting hooked the fuck up.

$43M average annual salary and apparently it'll have more guaranteed than Mahomes, and he'll be ready to re-up again at whatever new money rates will be when he's just 31. Winner fuckin winner.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Josh Allen getting hooked the fuck up.

$43M average annual salary and apparently it'll have more guaranteed than Mahomes, and he'll be ready to re-up again at whatever new money rates will be when he's just 31. Winner fuckin winner.
    That’s insane.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For comparison:

Josh Allen signed for 6 years / $258 million

Tom Brady has made $263 million total in his 21 year career to date.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    NFL QBs: “Why can’t you build a solid team around me?”

NFL Executives: “Because your selfish ass insists on asking for 20% of the salary cap, you stupid idiot.”

The first QB that agrees to take $15M per would create an immediate dynasty. Also, I’m sure ownership would be open to some kind of creative accounting if you’re a franchise QB: for example, $15M per and a 5% ownership stake in the franchise.
    Last edited by Tyson; August 7th, 2021 at 9:18 PM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Salary cap is about to sky rocket after the upcoming TV deal right? I think the market is just a little ahead of itself.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I can't imagine an nfl owner ever agreeing to give a current player part ownership. That just sounds far too complicated a web of interests.

I could see a separate salary cap just for qbs before an owner forking over a stake in his team. And I really can't quite completely see an actual separate qb salary cap.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love me some Hard Knocks.

Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, isn’t supplementing nfl contracts with things like ownership stake against the rules?

Or am I making that up?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Not sure if it's flat out against any rule in particular. Would have to think though that that percentage of ownership would still have to count against the cap somehow. All compensation has to be counted against the cap.

Even then what happens if the player just falls apart and stinks on the field? Is he tradeable? Is the team just stuck with him?

It's just a non-starter all around.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Also, isn’t supplementing nfl contracts with things like ownership stake against the rules?

Or am I making that up?
    No, you’re probably correct. I was just thinking about the Mahomes contract, where part of his extension included a small ownership stake in the KC Royals, IIRC.

That’s the creativity that is going to be required going forward, especially if you have an elite QB. If the team owner(s) own 3-4 other companies outside of the pro sports team, maybe offering ownership shares in said companies might be an avenue to pursue.

“Hey Trevor Lawrence, here’s $20M a year and X% ownership of companies A, B and C; we’ll use that other $20M a season to build a stronger roster around you. You still get paid, you get future guaranteed income and we can sign a handful of legit starters so that you don’t have to singlehandedly carry the organization. Cool? Cool.”

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    The Chiefs didn't save anything against the cap year to year because Mahomes bought equity with the Royals.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    The Chiefs didn't save anything against the cap year to year because Mahomes bought equity with the Royals.
    Maybe teams should try?

Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get what you’re saying, and I think the only way possible is if there are companies owned outside of NFL to do so……. But I still think it’s a tricky line with conflict of interest.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    Maybe teams should try?
    Maybe they have. Maybe they also realize the league will count and all compensation against the cap or it isn't allowable.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The QB battle in New England is full steam. I always thought Cam would start week 1 because a rookie QB will need more time in this system before Belichick will start him, and I still feel that way, but I was previously 90% sure and that's down to about 65%. It's possible Mac could get the nod by week 1. Of course we still have 2 preseason games to go so much could change, but it's fun to watch.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I highly doubt Jones outright takes the job before the start of the season unless Newton messes the bed. Veteran is going to be given some rope but not a lot.

And goodbye, Tebow.

Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mac Jones will start after they lose to the Buccs

And damnit BG, can’t there be one place I go online withought having to be sad about Tebow?

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And damnit BG, can’t there be one place I go online withought having to be sad about Tebow?
    No.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love cam. These past 15 months with him on the pats have shown me what an enormously sweet and charming person he is. I don’t mind who Belichick picks to start against the Dolphins and I trust he’ll pick whoever is best for the team but I’m rooting for cam. He is too lovable not to root for. I want him to be a starting QB in this league and have a chance to play well and win.

Also this qb competition is fun and good for the team IMO. It’ll be exciting to see the final preseason game Sunday and then wait for Bill’s decision next week. I still bet he starts Cam week 1 but I like the Cam/Mac duo regardless. And I bet they’ll both get starts this year.

Of course I also know there’s a chance (albeit a small one) that bill gives the job to mac and trades cam away. I don’t see it happening but it’s possible. Fun times heading into 2021 in New England.

Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cam sucks

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was rooting for Cam but if he loses the starting job, he should know that its his own fault for not getting the vaccine.

Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The vaccine will have very little to do with why Cam eventually loses his job.

Bouncing balls in the flat 5 yards in front of his receivers will be why.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    The Minshew pickup was a win for Philly, a cheap young serviceable backup who can push Hurts to improve.

Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cam sucks

I have never been so Fucking happy (post Brady)

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's risky business starting a rookie QB with Brian Hoyer as your backup. I really wanted Mac and Cam both on the roster. Because Mac could stink or not be ready, and I also don't trust college QBs to not be injury prone until they get through a season or two. I am now thinking about what the over/under is for Brian Hoyer starts this year and I don't like it.

But, the bigger story here is that Mac Jones earned the trust of Belichick and this is a great sign for the future of the franchise. So that is certainly good. I am just pondering the decision to cut Cam rather than bench him.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be more a FU to Cam too. You can't be a leader from the sidelines. Maybe that is how Bill handles QBs who don't get the shot.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Half to three-quarters win for New England. Glad they figured out Cam wasn't the answer but sad that it took that long to realize that.