User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Marvel Television - currently: "What If...?"

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second episode was definite step up from the first. Felt less like a retread through a past flick with a few roles switched up and more like a newer/fresher story. Nice to enjoy one of Chadwick's final performances and have to admit I got choked at the closing dedication to him.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not super high on this style of animation but I love Marvel so I'll take whatever. The "what if" comics were some of my favorites as a young kid.

I agree, this one was cool. Very intriguing and I wanted to see Black Panther in space so here we are. I haven't really paid much attention to what any of the episodes are about so I'm curious what they've come up with for us.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'm not as into this show because the eps are only half an hour and stand-alone so it's harder to get invested and everything moves along so briskly you don't really get to sit with the ideas long enough. This week's episode specifically:

Still feel like last week's was the best so far.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I have a feeling at some point these worlds are going to combine.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    I think I'm not as into this show because the eps are only half an hour and stand-alone so it's harder to get invested and everything moves along so briskly you don't really get to sit with the ideas long enough. This week's episode specifically:

Still feel like last week's was the best so far.
    I agree with all this. Also for me, being animated already puts it on a lower stratosphere. But that’s because I’m not a big animation guy in general.

This is a show about hypothetical scenarios so off the jump it’s not an impactful show in terms of plot development and consequences… and on top of that, I agree with you the pacing is so fast that it’s more of a schmorgesborg of concepts than a deep dive into any of them.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if you understand the purpose of the What If comics you would understand why these shows are the way they are. The comics were stand alones, they would have issues like "What if...Storm never joined the X-Men" so it's really just meant to be fun moments that you don't really need to get super invested in because the pay off happens inside the episode. It's like the Simpsons or Family Guy, not every episode ties in with the next, what you get in 30 minutes is what you get with the rare callback to an old episode.

I personally would enjoy it more if the animation was better. Not saying I don't, it's just kind of mediocre compared to other animated shows I watch.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so the newest episode was by far the best. Loved it.

The Void - The One Where Badger Disappears
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    It was mega depressing. I was like damn.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    It truly showed the benefits of the what if universe. It’s something they could never do in a mainline MCU property.

Pissed Off
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I have really enjoyed this series so far. Part of me wishes there more like 45-60 minutes just expand a little more in some cases but honestly they are doing a good job with the time frame they are using. It has been fun to watch and see various changes based on different decisions.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    For not the last one but the one before

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    For not the last one but the one before

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks good

Pissed Off
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I am looking forward to Hawkeye.

Loving What if? The zombies was fun

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hawkeye looks interesting. Will be nice to have the Christmas vibe going into the holiday season.

Zombies What If? episode was fun but a bit too comedic and not really leaning enough into the sevarity of the situation. Seeing your former friends as zombies could have used a bit more weight.

Newest episode with Killmonger was among the best. Really explored the alternate story and spent time with the idea and it was nice to get more of the guy as he was one of the better Marvel villains.

The Stale Smell of Excess Jimmy Zero's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the Killmonger episode fell apart towards the end.

Also, Michael B. Jordan should never do voice acting again. His delivery was pretty bad in Black Panther, but it was hilariously bad in that episode.

So far, I think the T'Challa as Star Lord episode and the murderous Hank Pym episode have been the stand outs.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Party Thor episode was pretty weak. A few of these are ending with cliffhangers that are more interesting than the bulk of the episode. Unless there's going to be a second season, I assume those will remain nothing but cliffhangers, just fun ideas to leave you pondering.

Keep hearing people talk about when they'll all crossover or when The Watcher is going to intervene but with it progressing closer and closer to the last episode, I am really doubting that either of those things are actually going to happen. I know the promo material showed different characters together but that's promo material and we've seen stuff in trailers that's not in the actual product. At this point, if those things happen, it's seems like it's going to either be rushed and potentially unsatisfying (like a lot of the episodes have been) or it's going to be a cliffhanger ending that's not going to be resolved until there's a second season (like how a lot of the episodes have ended).

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I believe season two has already been announced. With only two episodes left, it might be tough to pull all these stories together in that time.

The Stale Smell of Excess Jimmy Zero's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait, are these stories supposed to ultimately be tied together somehow? I just assumed they were essentially standalone episodes, much like the comic book was made up of standalone issues that didn't tie into a larger story.

Honestly, other than the T'challa as Starlord and Hank Pym episodes, I think these have been incredibly boring. I don't get the point of the stories being told. Are these supposed to serve as a bit more of an intro for the audience to the concept of the multiverse as established in Dr. Strange, or is there some greater point that I'm missing? I also think the Watcher's pontificating comes off as silly and pretentious. I'm not sure if I just don't like this show (I loved the comic when I was younger, so I was looking forward to this), or if I'm missing something obvious.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm positive the episodes will tie in together. With The Watcher gathering the heroes to battle a big threat (see end of party Thor's episode.)

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw Marvel's promo for this week's episode on FB, and the character that appeared at the end of the last episode is going to be on it, so this'll be the first continuation of a story and likely the start of all the shit possibly coming together.

The Void - The One Where Badger Disappears
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Just saw Marvel's promo for this week's episode on FB, and the character that appeared at the end of the last episode is going to be on it, so this'll be the first continuation of a story and likely the start of all the shit possibly coming together.
    Last edited by mth; September 28th, 2021 at 11:12 AM.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I bet mth was just trying to avoid spoilers.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, just being considerate if anyone hasn't caught up yet.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Does anyone else hit the skip intro button to avoid being spoiled on who will show up in an episode?

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I don’t care about spoilers on a cartoon show about fake hypotheticals that won’t matter. But that’s just me! To each their own.

inb4 the watcher shows up in Doctor Strange 2

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Zero View Post
    Wait, are these stories supposed to ultimately be tied together somehow? I just assumed they were essentially standalone episodes, much like the comic book was made up of standalone issues that didn't tie into a larger story.

Honestly, other than the T'challa as Starlord and Hank Pym episodes, I think these have been incredibly boring. I don't get the point of the stories being told. Are these supposed to serve as a bit more of an intro for the audience to the concept of the multiverse as established in Dr. Strange, or is there some greater point that I'm missing? I also think the Watcher's pontificating comes off as silly and pretentious. I'm not sure if I just don't like this show (I loved the comic when I was younger, so I was looking forward to this), or if I'm missing something obvious.
    They're just based on the "What if..." comics. They were entirely separate from what was going on with the actual characters in other books. For example, there's one about what if Storm never joined the X-Men. It's not even about a multi-verse really it's just fantasy booking comic book characters, stories, etc.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Well then. Looking forward to the season finale.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good episode. Better than the previous two. Only downfall about today's episode was, it felt extremely short! Those 30 minutes or so go by quickly.

Pissed Off
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Looks like they are putting it all together and not just random stories with no link according to the writers. Nice way to put together this first season.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great episode. It might be my favorite one so far.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    A pretty fun finale

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Regarding your first point

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, there was definitely a missing episode which is a shame. Decent finale if a bit underwhelming honestly. Everything always ends with a punch up and some blasty things that don't work so they do more punching and blasting for a bit and then realize how they should really win the thing that they could have just done in the first place and saved all the punching and blasting. And magic and powers are always wildly inconsistent and not clearly defined. Also, no idea why Watcher chose big dumb idiot Thor who mostly was mostly useless and almost fucking things up every step of the way. Overall, I think this show could have benefited from the episodes being twice as long. It was fine but easily the least best of the series so far.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    Regarding your first point
    I saw this on a few outlets a bit after I posted this yesterday.

Yeah, there was definitely a missing episode which is a shame. Decent finale if a bit underwhelming honestly. Everything always ends with a punch up and some blasty things that don't work so they do more punching and blasting for a bit and then realize how they should really win the thing that they could have just done in the first place and saved all the punching and blasting. And magic and powers are always wildly inconsistent and not clearly defined. Also, no idea why Watcher chose big dumb idiot Thor who mostly was mostly useless and almost fucking things up every step of the way. Overall, I think this show could have benefited from the episodes being twice as long. It was fine but easily the least best of the series so far.
    I think I will be taking a Game of Thrones approach to Marvel shows. The penultimate episode was always the big moment of the year, and the finale wrapped things up and set us up for the following season.

I agree that magic is inconsistent in the MCU. Hopefully they start fixing that post WandaVision and Multiverse of Madness.

Happy there will be a season two. Now to re-read Matt Fraction's Hawkeye run before the show debuts. Highly recommend it to everyone as well, it is an incredible read and will make you love Kate Bishop more.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the finale and the season as a whole was pretty cool. No real complaints from me. The Thor party boy episode from a few back was one of my favorites. It was surely the most silly of all the episodes but I thought it was funny.

In terms of magic/power consistency it didn’t really make sense that

Cruiserweight Champion
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)