User Tag List

Thread: Who is the best pop artist of the 2010s?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who is the best pop artist of the 2010s?

Drake or Taylor Swift? I know there isn't a big pop fandom on this forum but just wondering who you guys would call the pop king of the 10's? Who do you like better between these two? (They are clearly the top 2)

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly couldn't tell you a single Drake song. I'd recognise some of them if I heard them but I couldn't tell you who done them or what they're called. Also, he's a certified nonce.

Taylor Swift did Shake it Off and I Knew You Were Trouble. Not a nonce. Taylor wins.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you could make a case for Adele as well... but I feel like she was only relevant for about 3-4 years.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    I like adele way better than swift or drake.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can think of one Drake song off the top of my head (and I don't like it) while I can think of maybe half a dozen plus Swift songs (and I like a couple of them). T. Sweezy gets my vote.

Intercontinental Champion Melly's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Both are HUGE, but I pick Taylor. I personally like her music more.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wardy View Post
    I honestly couldn't tell you a single Drake song. I'd recognise some of them if I heard them but I couldn't tell you who done them or what they're called. Also, he's a certified nonce.

Taylor Swift did Shake it Off and I Knew You Were Trouble. Not a nonce. Taylor wins.
    To be fair my viewpoint is entirely American. I couldn't tell you how popular they are internationally.

In the last decade Drake set the the Billboard records for most top 40 singles, most top 10s, top 100s, etc... basically set every all-time record for radio charting songs. Granted those charts started including streaming in 2007 so the entire structure of how people listen to music has changed. But he is hit making machine.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah I dont know anything about either of them but my kids love one of the Taylor Swift videos so I pick her.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I've heard the cellphone song and thought it was preposterous

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'd go with Rihanna to be fairmont

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kylie.

Always Kylie.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Drake began the decade as one of the most exciting artists in pop and got progressively worse with each release to the point that he's barely worth bothering with now. Taylor began the decade as a very popular, but for me personally not very interesting artist, and has gotten better and better to the point where her releases are genuinely exciting events. Folklore is really great.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Drake began the decade as one of the most exciting artists in pop and got progressively worse with each release to the point that he's barely worth bothering with now. Taylor began the decade as a very popular, but for me personally not very interesting artist, and has gotten better and better to the point where her releases are genuinely exciting events. Folklore is really great.
    I agree with this sentiment generally, except I am a staunch fan of Scorpion. I love that album but I also agree Drake has not progressed as an artist. I think he does what he does very well but as compared to Taylor, who has evolved into different genres and styles (for better or worse, see: Reputation), Drake has been stagnant. His albums are also consistently too long and bloated (a not uncommon theme in hip hop).

Folklore IS great, and I also adore the pop-centric Lover album. Taylor is truly one of the great singer/songwriters of her time and doesn't get enough credit from those who avoid the pop and/or country genres.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I'd go with Rihanna to be fairmont
    Good shout. I think Rihanna and Beyonce are also in the conversation, though I feel that Drake and Taylor have been a step above the rest when it comes to how consistently they've been making hits and hit albums over the last 10 years.

I love Rihanna though and especially the album Anti. Unapologetic also had some monster pop tracks.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taylor Swift by a lot.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    The correct answer is Ed Sheeran.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Between these 2? Easily Taylor Swift. It's not even a competition. I get that in hip hop, for some whack reason Drake is a super huge name but Taylor Swift is a rare breed of artist. I know Shania Twain made that pop jump from country but she had like 1 song. Taylor Swift not only bounced from country as the top dog, she came in to the pop world guns blazing and despite not giving 2 shits about her music, you can't deny her status. She took the crown from whatever man/woman was on top, Justin Timberlake, Rihanna, Beyonce, all took a backseat and nobody has come close since.

And she's barely in her prime. I could see her getting another 40 years out of her career. She'll probably go back to country in the next 5 years and monopolize the 2 worlds. Miley tried to do that but she crossed the line too many times with her attempt at shocking everyone.

That'd be a better comparison honestly. Miley v. Taylor. Drake.....I mean, yeah he's Drake but to me he's just modern era Pitbull.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beer Monster View Post
    The correct answer is Ed Sheeran.
    Yeah probably if you're talking about that elite band of insane-selling artists.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does Bruno Mars deserve to be in the conversation? I don't really like him but he seems to be a pretty big deal from what I can tell.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    Does Bruno Mars deserve to be in the conversation? I don't really like him but he seems to be a pretty big deal from what I can tell.
    Yes for sure. To be fully honest I had a few drinks when I made this thread and phrased it such that the two I mentioned should be the top 2, but there are many other reasonable choices.

Also most people wouldn't even consider Drake a pop artist to be fair, they consider him in the rap/hip-hop category, which he is but he blends singing and R&B/pop into his tunes. Hip-hop is the most popular music genre in North America now (I believe, in terms of metrics, it has passed Rock as of a few years ago) and Drake has set all those singles records that I mentioned earlier. In my view this makes him a rightful pop artist.

For reference, here is one of the lists I referred to. Most top 10 charting singles of all time, per Billboard:

1. Drake (42)
    2. Madonna (38)
    3. The Beatles (34)
    4. Rihanna (31)
    5. Michael Jackson (30)
    t6. Stevie Wonder (28)
    t6. Mariah Carey (28)
    t6. Taylor Swift (28)
    t9. Elton John (27)
    t9. Janet Jackson (27)

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    42 charting singles by Drake and I can't honestly name one. I'm so out of touch with pop culture these days.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    42 charting singles by Drake and I can't honestly name one. I'm so out of touch with pop culture these days.
    42???? That can't be JUST Drake though. Even so, I could maybe name 2 Drake songs off the top of my head. I have never really cared for the mainstream and to me Drake is just another Puff Daddy type. 42....That is just insane.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Yes for sure. To be fully honest I had a few drinks when I made this thread and phrased it such that the two I mentioned should be the top 2, but there are many other reasonable choices.

Also most people wouldn't even consider Drake a pop artist to be fair, they consider him in the rap/hip-hop category, which he is but he blends singing and R&B/pop into his tunes. Hip-hop is the most popular music genre in North America now (I believe, in terms of metrics, it has passed Rock as of a few years ago) and Drake has set all those singles records that I mentioned earlier. In my view this makes him a rightful pop artist.

For reference, here is one of the lists I referred to. Most top 10 charting singles of all time, per Billboard:

1. Drake (42)
    2. Madonna (38)
    3. The Beatles (34)
    4. Rihanna (31)
    5. Michael Jackson (30)
    t6. Stevie Wonder (28)
    t6. Mariah Carey (28)
    t6. Taylor Swift (28)
    t9. Elton John (27)
    t9. Janet Jackson (27)
    These Drake stats are just mind blowing to me. I have never been sold on Drake. I was totally put off by Drake years ago at the BET Awards when some huge legend said he was the next Jay-Z and the guy hadn't even dropped an album yet. Apparently they weren't kidding.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That list does include songs featuring Drake, I believe. And the biggest flaw with these charts is this: since streaming got incorporated, they include every song as an eligible single on the list, even if it's not a single. So when Drake's last album released in 2018, he had something like 7 of the top 10 songs on the chart in a given week. Other than a couple of those, those "top 10 charting songs" on the Billboard list weren't radio singles. They were just album cuts that were getting tons of plays on Spotify and whatnot. So yea, these metrics are different now and comparing new artists like Drake against pre-streaming artists isn't fair when it comes to "most top 10s" and whatnot.

Having said that, being the #1 streamed artist of the decade (which Drake was, according to Spotify) still speaks to his popularity.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I really rather liked Take Care. Didn't really keep up with much after that.

And I'm sure I've heard plenty of Swift songs here or there but gun to my head I couldn't just up and name any.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man when your family is nothing but girls you learn to just deal with a lot of shit and wind up pretending to dislike a lot of shit too lol.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this song came out in 2020 so it isn't even in the 2010's but listen to this song and tell me Taylor Swift is anything but an all time singer/songwriter.