User Tag List

Thread: Wrestling Nicknames

Cruiserweight Champion King Diamond's Avatar
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wrestling Nicknames

I'm a big fan of this Roman Reigns heel turn, we've been talking about it happening for a long time but I'm not sold on tribal chief I dunno about the rest of you but it seems a very odd nickname to get over?

I suppose it's a lot better on the big dawg however but do you feel the fans would be into it?

Do more superstars need nicknames? It just seems a thing the commentary try to put on us maybe it's always been that way.

Daniel Bryan's Dreams just kicked you in the balls!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tribal Chief is just the newest iteration of "The Man". Roman is not only the Tribal Chief only of his family, but also the WWE Universe. It's perfect for getting over his heel turn and makes it more unique than borrowing someone else's nickname. However, there are plenty of wrestlers that seem to have nicknames just for the sake of it. Calling Drew the "Scottish Psychopath" doesn't fit since he's not known to go psycho all that much. He just gets pissed off.
    Last edited by Sasori; October 2nd, 2020 at 12:48 AM.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wrestlers have used nicknames for ages. Many wrestlers have had multiple nicknames over the course of their careers. Some immediately click with their character, and some take time. A good manager/valet/backstage interviewer/ring announcer/play-by-play guy can help a LOT in terms of getting a nickname over.

Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Undertaker’s got to have had the most or certainly up there. Taker, Dead Man, ABA, Big Evil, The Phenom etc.

All of them were fine except the awful “Booger Red.” Name sounded he was picking his nose and it was bleeding.

Intercontinental Champion Jarrod1983's Avatar
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Ha Booger Red sounds like a good name for Mazer to choose for you if you lose the PPV Predictions this year. Maybe Badger Red has a better ring.

Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod1983 View Post
    Ha Booger Red sounds like a good name for Mazer to choose for you if you lose the PPV Predictions this year. Maybe Badger Red has a better ring.
    Badger Red is cool, doesn’t sound like a bloody bogey coming out my nose.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michael Cole saying It's the Big Dog! or It's Boss Time make me hate WWE so much.

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I thought Booger Red worked. He was a nasty heel. Nasty as a boog and he let his red hair come through. You could also look at it as after a fight with Undertaker you'd have a broken nose, so you'd be shooting out bloody boogers. Wasn't the greatest name but it works.

Maybe Bodger Red. Yeah that's the one.

Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought Booger Red worked. He was a nasty heel. Nasty as a boog and he let his red hair come through. You could also look at it as after a fight with Undertaker you'd have a broken nose, so you'd be shooting out bloody boogers. Wasn't the greatest name but it works.

Maybe Bodger Red. Yeah that's the one.
    Fair enough. I generally associate “booger” as your guys way of saying what we call “bogies” over here.

I vaguely recall JR giving an explanation for it but can’t remember what it was.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JR on "Booger Red":
    Of all the names that I threw out there – that some stuck and some did not – this one did not obviously. If it did, it stuck in a bad way; but, the Booger Red definition is very simple… Booger Red was in reference to the great Texas linebacker, the late Tommy Nobis. Tommy Nobis wore number 60. He had like a 20 inch neck, red hair. So his all through school because this was such a fierce hitter at 6'3″ probably 245 middle linebacker – he was huge for that position – during that era. He unhinged people. His nickname was Booger Red. If you go look in the dictionary for what a booger is, other than something you go looking for with your index figure in your nose, booger means like a goblin or something like that, a scary person or scary entity, more specifically. I thought this might stretch out there or make something because Undertaker is a macabre type figure and Booger Red is kinda a tribute to his Texas heritage; but, basically what happened is it sh*t the bed, so that's where we are. Trying to use a little football and Tommy Nobis was the baddest of the bad. He'd tear you a part….Taker was the same way in his world. Taker of course had naturally red hair. Anyway, the more you explain it the crappier it is.

Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanking you.

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Sorta fits what I was saying. Taker was a nasty heel with his red hair. Gotta love JR and all his football knowledge. Like I said though wasn't a great name but the meaning behind it fit what biker Undertaker was doing at the time.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Booger Red has potential. Also has potential for the Royal Rumble Game of Death loser.

I'm still leaning to virnicious for Badger right now.

Banned
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kind of wish Wardlow wasn't already calling himself "The War Dog" over in AEW, because that nickname is basically custom tailored for Roman Reigns. Dude always used to call himself "The Big Dog" and now he's "The Tribal Chief". Switch that around call himself "The War Chief" and then he can be "The War Dog".