User Tag List

Thread: Your WWE history?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your WWE history?

So, I've lurked on this forum for years, only really motivating my arse to post every so often - notwithstanding somehow winning the debate thing this year. . I've been re-watching the OSW review vids from the start, having a bit of a nostalgic trip and got me thinking about an idea for a thread to hear more about the posters I've read for years on here.

Tell me your WWE history. 3 questions.

• Why did you start watching?
    • What are you into now?
    • Has wrestling ever got you into trouble?

I'll go first

Why did I start?

Back in late 91/early 92, I think I'm right in saying that WWF was starting to take off in the UK, mainly due to Sky Sports covering it. As a Christmas present to the family, we got Sky TV in the winter of 91. I was 10 at the time and instantly hooked. First big event was Rumble 92 and who was I to know that would go down as an all-time classic. I fucking loved people like Jake the Snake, Macho Man, Ric Flair etc. Completely fell in love with the whole thing and became obsessed with it. Back then, some of the PPVs were on Sky Sports (which we had) and some on Sky Movies (which we didn't). My uncle, who was in his 70s, used to tape the big events and give them to me. I was absolutely fucking wired for Wrestlemania 8 and remember the agony of waiting for him to arrive with the VHS the next day. He was a bit senile and a total mark for the business, kayfabe was real to him, so we had mental fun watching and talking about stuff together. I started getting VHS's of old events for birthdays/Christmas and it was cool watching some of the stuff in and out of chronological order. I was a huge fan for the next 15 years or so.

What am I into now?

Pretty much nothing at the moment. I don't have the network. I'm really busy (like, unpleasantly busy) with work and don't have time to watch. I read the rajah reviews, watch YouTube highlights, follow stuff on Twitter and read the forum but I haven't watched anything since WM. To be honest, I can't get into the empty arena stuff all that much. A huge part of wrestling for me is the theatre, fan chants, pops etc.

Has WWE ever got me into trouble?

A few times. For the last few years up until recently I've fucked stuff up at work due to staying up all night to watch the big events. I love WM and the Rumble live and I've messed up presentations due to being shattered the next day.

The biggest one though was back in 2012. I was going through a divorce at the time and had my two boys part time. I was only just getting back into wrestling after not watching since 2005 or so and started watching it again on my own (bliss) and then getting my two young lads into it with me. Until this one time when my ex-wife called me to say my youngest son had been injured. She asked me if I knew why my eldest would have jumped off the couch and hit his brother whilst shouting "Money in the Bank" at the top of his voice? Erm…..No idea love, sorry.

So, that's me. How about you?

Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wilfred’s ain’t all about the current, you clearly know your past. Be a man and defend the title!

On-topic, for me, started getting into it roughly 1991. Sky Sports Survivor Series 1991 when we first got Sky and it was halfway-decent. Remember watching that show back on VHS. Big brother was a fan but I ended up taking it further waaay beyond he did to the point of going to John Menzies for magazines and video tapes. He was a big fan of the Rock doing the eyebrow but he dropped off being a fan and I kept it on because I’m really a big kid. Still a fan to this day even if the product is shitter now lol.
    Last edited by Badger; September 23rd, 2020 at 7:12 PM.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have pretty regularly watched the WWWF, and later the WWE, since easily the mid 70's. My late father had a side job / hobby as a TV repairman. He had a workshop in the basement and at one point I recall counting the total number of TV's there at 74. Many were in various stages of disrepair - I recall having two on at the same time, watching one that didn't have sound, and getting sound out of the other but it had no picture. My dad used to tell my mom that he'd put rasslin' on because it helped him adjust the color / tint on the sets - a common problem back then with TV's was that the color would get out of adjustment - and people looked green. If you could fix the color to get flesh tone right, it was balanced properly. So watching rasslin' was a good test, because they showed guys in short trunks and/or no shirt, it was easy to adjust the color.

I recall by the time I got to jr high when he brought home an expensive device to repair - it was a video cassette recorder - and it cost over $2500 - a LOT of money back then for any electronic equipment, but it was broken and he had a reputation for being able to fix anything electronic. It was the size of a suitcase, and it was precious. The customer brought it to him in the beginning of the spring, and told him if he could fix it and get it back when he returned from vacation at the end of the summer it'd be great. My dad read all the schematics, replaced a small part and it was working within a day or two. So my dad hooked it up to a signal booster switch box and we soon had the output playing to 4 TVs down there. Of course, we recorded rasslin, to test the equipment, and I got to watch and re-watch Chief Jay Strongbow and Chief Peter Maivia battle the barefoot evil Jap Tag Champs - Prof Toru Tanaka and Mr. Fuji for the WWWF tag titles - but the match went off the air, and viewers never learned the outcome. I recall a fan in a tie hated Fuji /Tanaka so much, he jumped up to the apron to try to help Strongbow, and got pummeled just off camera, so that may have been why it ran long. A few weeks later we learned it was a time-limit draw so the evil champs retained)

Rasslin is a diversion, entertainment and storytelling. It hasn't gotten me in trouble nor would I expect it to.

Now, I regularly record SD and RAW, and occasionally if I remember, NXT. There's plenty to love about the WWE now, and I'd say Bayley's heel work has been remarkable must-see almost all year. On the men's side, Randy Orton has been killing it, and Keith Lee's past few months have been something the WWE has needed for a while. I do miss the fans in person but there's plenty I miss about today's world.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine
    - Why did you start watching?
    I'm old enough to remember WOS wrestling on Saturdays in the mid 80's UK so when my dad brought a tape recorded by a friend that had the British Bulldogs (yay!) against the Hart Foundation (boo!) I was hooked, but drifted out pretty quickly. Forward to 1990, I bought a copy of WWF magazine that previewed that year's Survivor Series and got hooked again, until about 93. And then Channel 4 had the rights to Royal Rumble 2000 and I remember particularly the table match between the Hardys and Dudleys (and some of the chairshots) and Mick Foley getting pedigreed onto thumbtacks. Hooked again.

-What are you into now?
    AEW on Friday nights. I had WWE network from the Royal Rumble when Nakamura won to the Mania, but cancelled soon after.

-Has wrestling ever got you into trouble?
    Not that I can recall. I do remember always trying to put the sharpshooter on my younger brother, but never quite managing it. (and now he's bigger than me so I'm not going to bring it up in conversation with him)

Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Channel 4’s god awful late night coverage of PPVs. Big Show returns *ad break*, taped and missed the end of Backlash when Austin returned and had to read about it. Mae Young at the Rumble....will say no more about that!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    First came across it in 1991 and my mate was watching the Savage/Warrior retirement match from WrestleMania VII. I was only 8 and was not instantly hooked. In fact, I was bored. And it certainly wasn't because I'd been introduced to a bad match or anything, as looking back, this was the best match on the show, at the biggest show of the year!

Fast forward to late 1993 and my Dad gets Sky TV. First event was the Royal Rumble '94 and I was hooked. From the very start this time around, as it was the Owen/Bret storyline that had me gripped from the opening match. Owen turned on Bret at the end of their tag tile loss to The Quebecers, attacking the knee. Bret not returning for the rumble match later on was heavily pushed by commentary and when there was a no-show for one of the numbers, it seemed obvious that Bret wasn't going to make it. Marked out like a motherfucker when he came out soon after. The pop he got when he limped out from behind the curtain. Fuck Lex Luger, Bret should have won that outright.

From there, I was HOOKED up until about 2003. Still a big fan going forward up until probably 2010. From 2010 to about 2015, I still watched Raw and Smackdown, as well as the PPVs. Now, in 2020, I watch PPVs and NXT. Rarely ever watch anything else. When crowds are back, I may check out a bit more TV, but then maybe not.

As for getting in to trouble, no but close. When I was in year 7 or 8, I picked up my smallest mate for a tombstone and accidently dropped him head first onto a manhole cover. Can still hear the thud. That could have been really bad.
    Last edited by Murphy; September 24th, 2020 at 9:32 AM.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Why did you start watching? Ultimate Warrior
    What are you into now? Raw, Smackdown, NXT
    Has wrestling ever got you into trouble? No.

Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh getting into trouble? Well once our English teacher addressed the class “Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls” then I said “And children of all ages” and the guy next to be continued “D-Generation X....” Teacher was not impressed.

Couple of botched piledrivers play-wrestling too.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started watching in the late 80s because my dad was a huge fan. All my cousins my age and I were big fans of Hogan, Savage, and Warrior.

I watch 0 minutes of WWE a week now. If I remember I’ll read the results. The Thunderdome shows are hard to watch without a crowd but that’s not the reason I stopped watching in general. I might watch a little AEW if I remember it’s on and I’m able to sit down and watch TV after the kids are in bed.

Don’t think it ever got me in trouble other than being yelled at to “cut the wrestling shit out before someone gets hurt!” by my father and uncles countless times. No one ever got hurt though.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I owe my 30 years of watching WWE to the Ultimate Warrior. You can say he wasn't any good, but man he had an energy about him, that if I hadn't seen him at that moment in life, I probably wouldn't be a WWE fan today.

I did that whole read results and watch YouTube clips thing for a while, but it's just not as much fun as watching each show in full. Rarely do the feel like a struggle to get through. I wouldn't say I watch every show, because things come up in life, but I do try to watch them all when I can.

In regards to getting in trouble, I don't think anyone did, but in a science class the teacher mentioned gold dust, and me and my friends did the Goldust taunt haha

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've probably been a fan since at least 4-5. My earliest memory was back in 1988 going to a show here in Des Moines and getting a Jake the Snake shirt because they were all sold out of that sweet white and pink brutus beefcake shirt. WHY is hard to answer because I was extremely young so it wasn't like I saw it and was like Hey that looks interesting! It's like asking why I started watching GI Joe and Transformers, just something that was part of your morning/night. Especially Rock N Wrestling, loved that show.

I'm into everything. Every promotion has it's up and downs. But like with music, I tend to go back and watch the stuff that I grew up on in the 80's and 90's.

It's definitely gotten me into trouble lol. Almost all during the late 90's in high school. You can't quote The Rock and DX without paying the price and you can't powerbomb your friends without someone getting in trouble lol. Plus we did a lot of backyard wrestling so everyone from parents to police have taken issue with what we were doing.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First show I remember watching was some WCW PPV in 89 or 90. Ric Flair defended the title against Lex Luger in the main event, and I rooted for Flair just to go against my cousins, who wanted Luger to win. I still tune into Raw and SmackDown, as well as AEW Dynamite (no NXT), but don’t always really pay attention. And no, I have never gotten into any trouble for anything wrestling related.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First ever WWF wrestling I ever watched I saw as a kid back in the early-90's. I remember seeing Demolition squash some poor schmucks.

I didn't become a full-time watcher of wrestling until middle-school, when I stumbled upon an episode of WCW Nitro. Ernest "The Cat" Miller vs. Disco Inferno was the first match I ever remember seeing in full. Somehow, that didn't immediately kill my interest. Cat was still doing his "You've got 5 seconds" gimmick, and when he was counting, Disco started dancing and turned around, Miller blasted him in the back with a karate kick and pinned him.

At that age, I had a 9:30 bed time, so I got into WCW purely because it was on at 8 and I could watch 90 minutes of it before bed. I didn't have digital cable or a satellite back then, so we couldn't order the pay-per-views. So, I was basically stuck in watching any and all wrestling I could on video, the weekend morning shows, WCW Saturday Night and Sunday Night Heat. Whatever I could catch.

I went to my first WWF house show in 1998. Bought a program and a copy of WWF Magazine. Somebody swiped it out of my grandfather's back pocket while he was holding it for me. Assholes.

Main event that night was Austin vs. Mankind vs. Kane vs. Undertaker in a four-way for the WWF title. Rock vs. Ken Shamrock for the Intercontinental in a "Buffalo Street Fight". If there's any arena history marks around, this was in Buffalo, when "The Aud" was still called "The Marine Midland Arena".

Even though I liked WWF, I was always a bigger WCW fan early on. And when WCW got really bad in the late-90's and into the Vince Russo era, my interest fell off. I had no idea WWF was putting on some its best programming ever by 2000, just a few numbers up the dial.

Oh, but I became an ECW mark when they debuted on TNN. I remember being on my first night of Christmas break one year in middle school, being at my mom's friend's house. None of her kids, my friends, were around. And I caught a great Rhino/Sabu match on TV that was so damn good, I've always wanted to find it again.

It took The Invasion to get me back into the WWF. I was so out of the loop of wrestling; Hadn't watched it, hadn't bought the magazines, hadn't read about it online, hadn't even jerked off to Torrie Wilson or a Nitro girl, that one Monday night during the summer of 2001, I turned RAW on and even clicked around to TNT to see what WCW was doing.

Yeah...

And that was the summer of The Invasion. I know a lot of people crap on The Alliance vs. WWF, but I was hooked. When "This invasion just got taken, to THE EXTREME" happened, and ECW joined, I just about marked out of my skull. I hadn't watched wrestling in about a year, and now we were getting WWF vs. WCW and ECW. Fucking awesome.

I started renting the videos of old pay-per-views then. Catching up on the end of WCW, catching up on all the Attitude Era stuff I never got to see, and by then I had a full complement of great 2000's shows to watch. It was pretty great. An entire summer vacation of exciting shit on TV and rental store trips.

And yeah, I know people crap on WWF in 2002. It was a low ebb for creativity and booking, but I enjoyed it for what it was. It was just wrestling. A fun thing to watch. WWF wasn't "hot", it was warm. Like a warm blanket that's always there to lean into.

2002 was also the year I went to the second WWF house show I ever went to. Kane and Kurt Angle from that show is still one of the best matches I've ever seen live. Also caught Triple H vs. Rob Van Dam, Big Show vs. Booker T, the pre-TV debut of Red Dawg (fresh out of OVW), Raven teaming with Steven Richards and some other jobber against D'Lo Brown and two other underneath guys, and Batista squashing Justin Credible. Fun show.

Since 2002, my interest in WWF has waxed and waned. I really fell out of watching weekly TV from about 2004-2007. When Eddie Guerrero died, my interest really sunk. In the interim, I discovered the fun of E-Bay and bought and watched a ton of Ring of Honor DVD's and old WWF Colosseum Videos. When the Chris Benoit murders/suicide happened, it actually caught my interest. I got really interested in seeing what the Hell happened. And then got back into things, on and off, from about 2007-2010.

Its weird to say, but Twitter got me back into WWE. I've never been a "message board" guy. Except for here. But having a Twitter to spout off silly shit and live-Tweet wrestling was great. It got me back into watching the weekly shows, just so I could joke around and one-liner about whatever was going on. Twitter saved my interest in Impact Wrestling, too.

I got back, real heavy into WWE when Daniel Bryan started getting his big run. Following that story was frustrating at times, but I really thought WWE had something big, until D-Bry got hurt and had to retire.

Now, I sort of feel like I watch weekly WWE just to riff on it. NXT is great, but WWE's big shows haven't been particularly good for a long time. The Antifa ninja terrorist squad, the RAW Fight Club, and all the "cinematic" bullshit isn't good. Its just fun to make fun of now. Its not "hate watching", because I don't hate it. Its like watching a good b-movie. Just go along with it, and you might enjoy it.

Oh, and The WWE Network has been absolutely killer. Love that thing. I signed up for it on day 1 and I've never canceled or thought about cancelling. Even if WWE is sucking, I can still go watch anything I want in the history of American wrestling, that's remotely worth watching.

And that's cool.

Anyway, TL;DR -- Me and WWE/WWF? Its complicated.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First ever WWF wrestling I ever watched I saw as a kid back in the early-90's. I remember seeing Demolition squash some poor schmucks.

I didn't become a full-time watcher of wrestling until middle-school, when I stumbled upon an episode of WCW Nitro. Ernest "The Cat" Miller vs. Disco Inferno was the first match I ever remember seeing in full. Somehow, that didn't immediately kill my interest. Cat was still doing his "You've got 5 seconds" gimmick, and when he was counting, Disco started dancing and turned around, Miller blasted him in the back with a karate kick and pinned him.

At that age, I had a 9:30 bed time, so I got into WCW purely because it was on at 8 and I could watch 90 minutes of it before bed. I didn't have digital cable or a satellite back then, so we couldn't order the pay-per-views. So, I was basically stuck in watching any and all wrestling I could on video, the weekend morning shows, WCW Saturday Night and Sunday Night Heat. Whatever I could catch.

I went to my first WWF house show in 1998. Bought a program and a copy of WWF Magazine. Somebody swiped it out of my grandfather's back pocket while he was holding it for me. Assholes.

Main event that night was Austin vs. Mankind vs. Kane vs. Undertaker in a four-way for the WWF title. Rock vs. Ken Shamrock for the Intercontinental in a "Buffalo Street Fight" was the semi-main. If there's any arena history marks around, this was in Buffalo, when "The Aud" was still called "The Marine Midland Arena".

Even though I liked WWF, I was always a bigger WCW fan early on. And when WCW got really bad in the late-90's and into the Vince Russo era, my interest fell off. I had no idea WWF was putting on some its best programming ever by 2000, just a few numbers up the dial.

Oh, but I became an ECW mark when they debuted on TNN. I remember being on my first night of Christmas break one year in middle school, being at my mom's friend's house. None of her kids, my friends, were around. And I caught a great Rhino/Sabu match on TV that was so damn good, I've always wanted to find it again.

It took The Invasion to get me back into the WWF. I was so out of the loop of wrestling; Hadn't watched it, hadn't bought the magazines, hadn't read about it online, hadn't even jerked off to Torrie Wilson or a Nitro girl, that one Monday night during the summer of 2001, I turned RAW on and even clicked around to TNT to see what WCW was doing.

Yeah...

And that was the summer of The Invasion. I know a lot of people crap on The Alliance vs. WWF, but I was hooked. When "This invasion just got taken, to THE EXTREME" happened, and ECW joined, I just about marked out of my skull. I hadn't watched wrestling in about a year, and now we were getting WWF vs. WCW and ECW. Fucking awesome.

I started renting the videos of old pay-per-views then. Catching up on the end of WCW, catching up on all the Attitude Era stuff I never got to see, and by then I had a full complement of great 2000's shows to watch. It was pretty great. An entire summer vacation of exciting shit on TV and rental store trips.

And yeah, I know people crap on WWF in 2002. It was a low ebb for creativity and booking, but I enjoyed it for what it was. It was just wrestling. A fun thing to watch. WWF wasn't "hot", it was warm. Like a warm blanket that's always there to lean into.

2002 was also the year I went to the second WWF house show I ever went to. Kane and Kurt Angle from that show is still one of the best matches I've ever seen live. Also caught Triple H vs. Rob Van Dam, Big Show vs. Booker T, the pre-TV debut of Red Dawg (fresh out of OVW), Raven teaming with Steven Richards and some other jobber against D'Lo Brown and two other underneath guys, and Batista squashing Justin Credible. Fun show.

Since 2002, my interest in WWF has waxed and waned. I really fell out of watching weekly TV from about 2004-2007. When Eddie Guerrero died, my interest really sunk. In the interim, I discovered the fun of E-Bay and bought and watched a ton of Ring of Honor DVD's and old WWF Colosseum Videos. When the Chris Benoit murders/suicide happened, it actually caught my interest. I got really interested in seeing what the Hell happened. And then got back into things, on and off, from about 2007-2010.

Its weird to say, but Twitter got me back into WWE. I've never been a "message board" guy. Except for here. But having a Twitter to spout off silly shit and live-Tweet wrestling was great. It got me back into watching the weekly shows, just so I could joke around and one-liner about whatever was going on. Twitter saved my interest in Impact Wrestling, too.

I got back, real heavy into WWE when Daniel Bryan started getting his big run. Following that story was frustrating at times, but I really thought WWE had something big, until D-Bry got hurt and had to retire.

Now, I sort of feel like I watch weekly WWE just to riff on it. NXT is great, but WWE's big shows haven't been particularly good for a long time. The Antifa ninja terrorist squad, the RAW Fight Club, and all the "cinematic" bullshit isn't good. Its just fun to make fun of now. Its not "hate watching", because I don't hate it. Its like watching a good b-movie. Just go along with it, and you might enjoy it.

Oh, and The WWE Network has been absolutely killer. Love that thing. I signed up for it on day 1 and I've never canceled or thought about cancelling. Even if WWE is sucking, I can still go watch anything I want in the history of American wrestling, that's remotely worth watching.

And that's cool.

Anyway, TL;DR -- Me and WWE/WWF? Its complicated.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why did you start watching?
    Prior to being into wrestling, i was big into comic books. Whenever I came upon wrestling, I realized it was comic books come to life and I was a changed boy. I also dabbled in the Street Fighters and the Mortal Kombats and there are obvious comparisons there, as well. I'm pretty sure I played WWF video games before I actually watched the product. Also, I love monsters and always have, particularly Frankenstein, and when I discovered The Undertaker (purple gloves era feuding with Mankind), I was like, "This is might be my jam". Unfortunately, while my wrestling curiosity may have sparked in 95 or so, I didn't have cable so I had to catch a bit at a sleepover or a hotel here and there, or dial up WWF stuff on AOL, until we finally got cable in 98 and I could finally fully dive in. Been hooked ever since.

What are you into now?
    I watch NXT every week (reliably good) and every WWE PPV (not as reliably good). I read the RAW/SD results and watch an occasional YouTube clip if something sounds worthwhile. I skim through AEW's results to keep tabs and I dial up an AEW match now and then for Sonny Kiss, Abadon, and maybe Jurrassic Express.

Has wrestling ever got you into trouble?
    I don't think i ever really got in trouble but the Attitude/pre-PG Era did not do me any favors with my parents or various girlfriends. When we were dating, @Melly was considering asking me to quit watching it, the irony being she's become a fan herself over the years.

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    I started very very early because my older brother was a wrestling fan. Earliest shows I can remember watching was Summerslam 89, Royal Rumble 90, Wrestlemania VI, and Survivor Series 90 but this was after the fact, probably 93-94. I was hooked because it was like watching real superheroes I guess.

I watch NXT, follow WWE, watch the PPVs somewhat. I do follow AEW a bit, and I watch NJPW when I am able.

It has definitely gotten me in trouble because I definitely tried to start my own wrestling deal when I was in the third grade with my classmates. It was the midst of the Attitude Era, so... that did not go well.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I never actually noticed the questions when I gave my dissertation.

Why Did I Start Watching? -- Honestly, because there was nothing else on and I caught it flipping through the channels. It just struck me as something I thought I "should" be watching. Like it was culturally important somehow.

What Am I Into Now? -- Everything. Yeah, its a lame answer, but I'll watch almost any given wrestling product as long as I have the time and inclination. I watch NXT, AEW, RAW, Smackdown!, Ring of Honor, Impact, New Japan (when it was still on Axs TV), MLW, indies. I also spent a lot of time on Youtube watching older stuff or obscure stuff. There's a couple channels right now putting up loads of Velocity and Sunday Night Heat from 2004/2005, which is getting into a period where I stopped watching every weekend syndicated show every weekend, so its fun to catch up. There's another channel out there, doing God's work, and putting up every WCW and WWF B-show or C-show by the given month. An entire compilation of every WWF Jakked from May 1999 might not sound awesome, but it is a great watch on mute, while I'm listening to something else.

Has Wrestling Ever Gotten Me Into Trouble? -- I got yelled at for telling some kid to "suck it" and doing a crotch chop. My mother was upset when I drew that ankh symbol Raven used to have for a little bit in WCW on my dog's face with a marker.

I got in some hot water for taping over my 3rd grade winter Christmas play (I played a chimney sweep with no lines) with "WWF Divas -- Sex On The Beach". Not because of the content, but because my mother thought I was "really good" in my role.

Again... I didn't have any lines.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started watching around 1991 (would have been 2-3) because my youngest uncle was a fan and had Wrestlemania 4 and the action figures so would watch that and play every time I went to my nan's. Then we got Sky at the start of 92 so was a rabid fan after that. Loved everything about it. The colours, the moves, the energy, the commentary, the music, the promos and rivalries. Loved Macho Man, Bret and Bulldog the most. Stopped getting Sky in 94 but would get all the PPV's pre-IYH on tape. Still watched the big 4 but liked football a bit more between 95 and 99 or so then the Attitude era took off and schoolmates got into it so got back into it a bit more cos of tape borrowing and so on. Got Sky again so watched everything regularly between 2000 and 2005, then started watching ROH as well. Benoit stuff happened and dipped in and out between then and the Summer of Punk. In fairness, social reasons probably more so than the disgust over Benoit but I certainly stopped spending money on it besides the Rumble, Mania and Summerslam. Then watched Raw pretty regularly through to around The Shield splitting up. Again, not so much because of product but because my body clock was slowing down and I only really bother watching live. Still watched PPV's and NXT for a good while though because of the Network. Stopped watching every PPV a while back, again I prefer watching live and a UFC on a Saturday generally means I write the Sunday PPV off. Not worth feeling shit through the week, and I just have never taken to watching non-live shows. Same with sports. I like to watch them as they happen, doesn't feel the same otherwise.

Regardless, not being able to exploit the free trial with numerous emails has put a stop to that anyway. I'm not giving the dodgy cunts anymore money. I'm sure between videos, toys, games, the network, live events etc I have given WWE 5 figures in the near 30 years of watching. If it was good, and they were remotely ethical, I'd probably go Rumble-Mania with it at least, but I can't comprehend that even. I do still follow the results and youtube what sounds good, but that will likely be that until Dunn and/or Vince get moved on.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post

Has wrestling ever got you into trouble?
    I don't think i ever really got in trouble but the Attitude/pre-PG Era did not do me any favors with my parents or various girlfriends. When we were dating, @Melly was considering asking me to quit watching it, the irony being she's become a fan herself over the years.
    I was told by my brothers that if I ever wanted a serious, long term relationship I'd need to give up watching wrestling. I'm happy to report that I proved them wrong. My thought process was that if someone didn't respect your interests, they aren't worth the time and effort.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started watching wwe in 1988. My dad watched it while I watched it with him. I really got into it around 93. I never missed a ppv from royal rumble 93 till vengeance 2003... that's when I grew up and went to the navy.

I still watch it now but it's not my main priority now. I do enjoy aew more than wwe now.

Intercontinental Champion Melly's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I was maybe 8 and my friend (for some reason) had wrestling on. It was the The Heartbreak Kid Shawn Michaels and Undertaker who I fell in love with instantly.

Waaaay later @mth and I began to date, he was a wrestling geek and obviously we talked about it. I was not happy with the girls getting all half nude (blame my conservative and sheltered background) and wanted him to stop watching. Thankfully he never did and he made me a big fan We have been to a few live shows, love watching Wrestlemania in the theater, I own wrestling shirts and Funko Pops and I love NXT.

And now I love the halfnaked girls

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oddly, I don't mind half-naked Shawn Michaels.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Melly View Post
    I own wrestling shirts and Funko Pops and I love NXT.

Which Funko Pops? I have John Cena, Diesel, Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, Shawn Michaels, and Braun Strowman.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    @Donald, WWE ones are the Bealls, Rhonda, Charlotte and Sasha. I would love Auska and Shawn.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudz Mackenzie View Post
    Oddly, I don't mind half-naked Shawn Michaels.

Cena Era Fanbase
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1- I started watching wrestling in late 1987. Granted, I had seen it before, just enough to know the names of certain stars. Of course I knew who Hulk Hogan was, I also knew Andre, Piper, Junk Yard Dog, Superfly Snuka, and a few others. My brother and cousins used to watch it.

But one day, my next door neighbor Tony was staying over at my house, and his mother rented WrestleMania III from the video store. We watched it that day and then watched Superstars later that night on TV. From there, I was watching WWF every weekend. My favorites when I started watching were Macho Man, Ultimate Warrior, Hulk, Koko B Ware, Jake the Snake, and Ravishing Rick Rude. Then, I started watching NWA- discovering the Four Horsemen, Dusty, the Road Warriors, Sting, etc. Then, I was watching ANY wrestling show on TV- World Class, AWA, ICW, even GLOW. I was renting older WWF videos from the video store and seeing the previous Manias. I was obsessed with all things wrestling... in '88, I was Rick Rude for Halloween. I got some white pants and drew hands on them, my mother drew a woman's face on them, and then I wore one of her robes with "Ravishing" drawn on the back.

2- What I'm into now... eh. I don't watch as much as I once did. I follow WWE and AEW for the most part, I take the good with the bad. I think this Roman heel turn is excellent so far, Bray Wyatt/The Fiend is one of my favorite things to come along in a long time. I don't think wrestling needs to be the way it used to be or anything like that, sometimes I just think some of the characters could be stronger. I enjoy workrate but I like storylines/characters better. So anytime there's a good storyline or an interesting character, I'm more interested in watching.

3- It's never gotten me in trouble, but it was definitely a thing my mother punished me with. Whenever I acted up in school, I couldn't watch wrestling that weekend, which was a hell of a punishment.
    Last edited by Shut Up, Mooney!; October 1st, 2020 at 3:39 AM.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shut Up, Mooney! View Post

3- It's never gotten me in trouble, but it was definitely a thing my mother punished me with. Whenever I acted up in school, I couldn't watch wrestling that weekend, which was a hell of a punishment.
    When you acted up in school, did your teachers call you by your username, or did they tell you to "Shut Up, Mooney!"