User Tag List

Thread: Cinematic Matches

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cinematic Matches

A quick thread on the trend of WWE using cinematic matches lately. Do you think they are overdoing it lately or is this is now more a thing and WWE should keep doing more of them? I love matches like the “Boneyard Match” but personally I think they’re overdoing it lately and the novelty is starting to wear thin. I think they need to scale them back and keep them for special occasions like Mania.

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like everything they do, they've quickly done it too often so nobody cares anymore. It's not that they don't stand out and it's not that they aren't good, but the best part about wrestling is getting hyped for something, and it's a path of diminishing returns if they're doing a cinematic match every month. HOWEVER, everything is so repetitive in the COVID era, same building, same set up, same crowd, that I can appreciate them doing something to change that if just for half an hour.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could understand changing it up when there was no fans but now that they have “fans” again I fear that they are going to overplay the theme like a good song on the radio. Also they’re not always relevant to the theme.

Take Edge vs Orton recently for example. I liked it but was the cinematic feel really necessary? For one hyping it as “The Greatest Wrestling Match” ever was a mistake in itself and it didn’t need the bells and whistles and the retakes. They could have simply achieved an effect just having a normal match where Orton bested him leading to a rubber match. Edge could have avoided being injured if they didn’t have to re-shoot everything.

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    i'm definitely going to be much more inclined to watch a wwe show with one of these matches than without. i have very little interest in any regular matches WWE is putting on right now. the cinematic matches might be good or bad, but they're at least novel curiosities that i'll want to check out.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the same thing with Lucha Underground once but the novelty wore thin.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boneyard was fine, even Firefly Funhouse because it really wasn't a match. I think that it's evidence that the business has lost the plot. Like what was the entire point of wrestling? It was a fighting sport that the performers realized could draw a lot more money and preserve health if they were worked. Is it supposed to be a movie now? A cartoon? That's all well and good, but if they present it like this now what happens when people come back into the arenas? Will they stop these? If so what was the point in doing them in the first place? If they still do them, that'll mean a crowd that paid money to be there is sitting there looking at a screen like they could've done at home. I just don't understand the point of it.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say matches where they think might have potential for botch fests like undertaker vs AJ is fine. They did not need it for Gargano vs Ciampa. Mitb was fine too just because of the entire building.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not a fan of them, they’re too comical and silly to me but I do recognize comedy is part of WWE. I wish they would leave them for lower mid card wrestlers and not having main event level wrestlers in them. Wrestling is fake as we all know but having top level workers in the cinematic matches is like if Lebron James left the NBA to join the Harlem Globetrotters. If it were up to me I’d save them for the R-Truths or someone who has a lot of character but isn’t a great wrestler.

Bagel
    It's like they saw Matt Hardy stuff in Impact and decided they could go in and beat it to death. If there's a theme or a storyline or a reason for it, it would be ok but outside of the boneyard match I don't think they're needed or effective. Should've made it an Undertaker-only thing or matches for one of the legends.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shame they did not think of it with Piper vs Goldust.
    Im sure this month will be Bray vs Braun

Might be the only way we can see Sting vs Undertaker and not have it look bad. Sting could easily have a stunt double and not get hurt
    Last edited by Bluegunn; July 5th, 2020 at 11:31 PM.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think after last night they definitely need to give these a rest for a while as it was the worst one yet by far IMO though I fear we might get more spooky cinematic shit with the Fiend at Summerslam. Hopefully it’s more a normal match with probably the title on the line.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I think after last night they definitely need to give these a rest for a while as it was the worst one yet by far IMO though I fear we might get more spooky cinematic shit with the Fiend at Summerslam. Hopefully it’s more a normal match with probably the title on the line.
    I kind of figured it'd be a regular match at Summerslam, hopefully without the red light.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are definitely correct! I dont care for them but they usually hold my attention I just happen fo think they’re dumb but last nights was just straight up boring, there was way too much talking.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So here's an interesting question I just thought of:

We all know there's been a prevalence of cinematic matches lately, because of the Coronavirus. But what was the first cinematic match?

I'm thinking its either Golddust vs. Roddy Piper in the Hollywood Backlot Brawl at Wrestlemania 12 or Undertaker/Mankind at Summer Slam 1996.

Can you think of anything earlier?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we're counting the more storyline driven stuff Bray is doing, I'd make a case for the White Castle of Fear mini movie leading up to SuperBrawl III in 1993. Sting and Vader have the tug of war at the end which is about as close to a match as the Firefly Funhouse at 'Mania.

Banned
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The White Castle of Fear stuff was great. I remember being like what the fuck did I just watch.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought Piper vs Goldust was live outside rather than cinematic.

But I think the first one was Halftime Heat. Rock vs Mankind

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegunn View Post

Rock/Mankind was not cinematic in any way. Entertaining yes but no real cinematic effects whatsoever.

Worst thing about that match as Foley himself says was the cheesy ending they tried to pass for drama.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Stone Cold/Booker T Supermarket Brawl could have been enhanced with cinematic effects.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    The Stone Cold/Booker T Supermarket Brawl could have been enhanced with cinematic effects.
    Could’ve but fine the way it was.

The supermarket brawl gets talked about a lot but the follow-up in the church with Booker in the confessional booth was just as good.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this was a back when the Shield were still active, something like Shield vs Wyatts could’ve been great. Wyatt waiting about and Shield make their helicopter entrance.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rock/Mankind was not cinematic in any way. Entertaining yes but no real cinematic effects whatsoever.

Worst thing about that match as Foley himself says was the cheesy ending they tried to pass for drama.
    But you contradict yourself, my friend, as the shitty camera angle at the end was the one cinematic effect that was actually in the match.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    But you contradict yourself, my friend, as the shitty camera angle at the end was the one cinematic effect that was actually in the match.
    Fair enuffski.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegunn View Post

I think they shot it a week in advance.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed Piper v Goldust. Think I was 14 and it was different from anything I had seen to that point.

I think with a lack of crowds it has been sensible to do more of these, but when things are more normal they should cut back on them.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone else thinking Raw Underground is an excuse for more cinematic matches?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should scrap the third hour of RAW and replace it with Lucha Underground as a separate show so that it can be non PG and appeal to a different audience.
    Last edited by Brock Kasady; May 12th, 2021 at 1:00 AM.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is not going to stick once crowds comeback. they are trying to do something different without fans there. i can't fault them with the sagging ratings.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When crowds come back, can still see them doing cinematic shit for Bray.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's certainly going to be value in having them but it won't need to be the monthly hook when crowds can come back in full form. They really need to stick to the intense backstage promos without crowd noise, though. With crowds, I honestly am not sure if there's a lot of value in having house shows for the main roster. I imagine they would be fine with Raw, SD, and PPVs.