Thread: What movies give you comfort?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

What movies give you comfort?

For me it's John Carpenter's Halloween.

An odd answer for sure. For me it's about the end of innocence. I've watched it countless times. It's a dopey slasher movie, but I think it always works. The main character is a really nice person who is selfless in the face of danger. The villain is a malevolent force of nature that you can project your fears onto.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Shawshank Redemption. Just a fantastic film about hope and how important it is.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is odd, but for me it’s Into The Wild. Loved the book and the movie came out when I was at my absolute lowest point, my rock bottom. At the time it perfectly encapsulated what I was feeling and struggling with, and that I wanted to run away and try to leave everything behind me. When I watch it now I know how far I’ve come.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For many years, my comfort movie was The Wizard of Oz. It was a special event shown on CBS every year, and it was a big deal to get to stay up late enough to watch the whole thing. Even when I went away to college, I still watched it those years. In part, it gave me something to connect with my family at home about.

There are two that I would consider now as a go-to comfort movies. The Princess Bride is just terrific. And just about every time Jaws comes on, I will watch the rest of it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tremors

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Demolition Man

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Michael Clayton

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grandma’s Boy.

I find more comfort in rewatching tv shows than movies though. Probably because you get to hang out with the characters for so much longer and their arcs don’t rise and fall so quickly, so you can vibe out to it without an ending around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Romford Pele View Post
    The Shawshank Redemption. Just a fantastic film about hope and how important it is.
    Good shout.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amelie.

Intercontinental Champion Melly's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    The Muppets

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Transformers: The Movie. The real one, from 1986. It's my childhood. I can just put it on and escape back to a time when I'm not such a mess of a human being.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Christmas Vacation.

I can watch it anytime of year. I fucking love this movie.

This past December Chevy had a Q & A and a screening of the movie that my wife got us tickets for. It was awesome to watch it with a rowdy group of fans and one older lady sitting behind us that had never seen it. This lady popped hard the whole night for everything Chevy did.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any of the Friday The 13th movies.

Even though the Friday The 13th movies are bloody, gory, violent horror movies full of tits and drug use and premarital sex, there's something so oddly wholesome about them. If you watch the series from the first movie to the last, they feel like a series of campfire tales told 'round a roaring fire, with some buddies and some weed and some beers. And as the movies ramp up in craziness and start going even more over-the-top, that's the storyteller having a few too many and really ramping it up. And eventually Jason winds up being a body swapping demon or going to space and by that point the fire's burned down and you just want to drag yourself into your tent and sleep until the sun comes out.

At their best, the Friday The 13th movies are like a look at what a great, "unplugged" vacation with a bunch of good, goofy friends would be. The first 20 minutes of a Friday The 13th movie is like my ideal camping trip in the woods, before the big redneck with a machete starts hacking bits and pieces off of people.

But even when the big, backwoods maniac shows up, you know the tropes so well and you can lean into it, that it never gets scary. Its just fun.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (500) Days of Summer. I was at the perfect point in my life when saw it for the first time and it just stuck, I've got a tattoo from it and I still watch it once a year

Pineapple Express, Superbad beer fest clerks 2 and sex drive All movies me and my friends watched in our late teens and early 20s

The girlfriend watches My Girl on the reg.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    The Fast series, Die Hard, Top Gun

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines
    The Stand

Bagel
    Home Alone, also American Psycho

Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine
    The Hunt for Red October reassures me that I can go and live in Montana (Winters in Arizona) and breed rabbits, which my round American wife can cook. No papers.

The Thinking Man's Idiot Simmo Fortyone's Avatar
    Andre giant once eat kid hot dog at arena. He then laugh. I never forgive that fat motherfucker for that
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch, RocknRolla. The Gentlemen will probably end up on that list.

I also have a real fondness for Oceans Eleven

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Baby driver is another one of my favs

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Grandma’s Boy.

I find more comfort in rewatching tv shows than movies though. Probably because you get to hang out with the characters for so much longer and their arcs don’t rise and fall so quickly, so you can vibe out to it without an ending around the corner.

Good shout.
    I lost this movie in the divorce about 10 years ago but I wore the fuck out of that DVD. I don't think I've watched it since until the other day I saw it was on HBO GO so I had to watch it . CLASSIC.

Intercontinental Champion Melly's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Also, The Sound of Music.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    2 Questions:

1. This seems like just a list of favorite films?

2. How in the hell is Halloween dopey? All the copy cat slasher films, and the Halloween sequels are dopey, but the original is anything but.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dark City.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    2 Questions:

2. How in the hell is Halloween dopey? All the copy cat slasher films, and the Halloween sequels are dopey, but the original is anything but.
    I'd say a favorite flick is also one that comforts you.

I'll add The Wizard to this. Just watched it last night. My little man seems to love movies that has a good soundtrack and I was going through my movies and found Wizard. Baby sat in my arms, wiggling his butt and watched. I still love this movie as much as I did when I was kid. It was the first movie to make me cry sad tears. It got me in the feelers last night too.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Melly View Post
    The Muppets
    Quote Originally Posted by Melly View Post
    Also, The Sound of Music.

These are 2 great calls. The Muppet Movie is pure fun, and can be appreciated by folks, frogs and pigs of all ages. The Great Muppet Caper, The Muppets Take Manhattan, Muppet Treasure Island, Muppet Christmas Carol, Muppets from Space, and of course, The Muppets, and Muppets Most Wanted are all worthy of bringing us back to a place of comfort. I think I really enjoyed The Muppets because it was such welcome reboot that truly did justice to the old characters, but the Muppet Movie is still my favorite.

The Sound of Music can change my mood in a hurry, especially if I am feeling the blahs, I will inevitably improve my desire to get things done.

Along these lines, I always feel better after watching "Mama Mia" I grew up listening to that music, but never would have imagined those songs fitting together in a story like that.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The song I'm Number One from Muppets Most Wanted is one of those catchy tunes you find yourself singing all day if you hear it.

I love all things Muppets. Even the Office like show Muppets that only lasted one season. I thought it was great!

The Thinking Man's Idiot Simmo Fortyone's Avatar
    Andre giant once eat kid hot dog at arena. He then laugh. I never forgive that fat motherfucker for that
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    To me a "comfort" film is one I could never not be in the mood to watch.

Like, Children of Men is one of my favourite films, but it's not one I'd stick on after a tiring day.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    These are 2 great calls. The Muppet Movie is pure fun, and can be appreciated by folks, frogs and pigs of all ages. The Great Muppet Caper, The Muppets Take Manhattan, Muppet Treasure Island, Muppet Christmas Carol, Muppets from Space, and of course, The Muppets, and Muppets Most Wanted are all worthy of bringing us back to a place of comfort. I think I really enjoyed The Muppets because it was such welcome reboot that truly did justice to the old characters, but the Muppet Movie is still my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod1983 View Post
    The song I'm Number One from Muppets Most Wanted is one of those catchy tunes you find yourself singing all day if you hear it.

I love all things Muppets. Even the Office like show Muppets that only lasted one season. I thought it was great!
    Nice to see all this Muppet love. Absolutely would put most of their flicks on my list. Big fan. The Great Muppet Caper is probably my favorite.

I'll throw Grumpy Old Men and Grumpier Old Men out as a couple of personal favorite flicks that I find comforting. Funny, full of heart and charm, small town happenings, and old dudes with youthful attitudes. Fucking love them.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say a favorite flick is also one that comforts you.

I'll add The Wizard to this. Just watched it last night. My little man seems to love movies that has a good soundtrack and I was going through my movies and found Wizard. Baby sat in my arms, wiggling his butt and watched. I still love this movie as much as I did when I was kid. It was the first movie to make me cry sad tears. It got me in the feelers last night too.
    A friend of mine who is a big gamer just revealed he has never seen this movie and I about passed out from pure shock.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    Nice to see all this Muppet love. Absolutely would put most of their flicks on my list. Big fan. The Great Muppet Caper is probably my favorite.

I'll throw Grumpy Old Men and Grumpier Old Men out as a couple of personal favorite flicks that I find comforting. Funny, full of heart and charm, small town happenings, and old dudes with youthful attitudes. Fucking love them.
    Burgess Meredith steals these movies. Grumpier Old Men was my favorite. Meredith hitting on the mother of the woman who buys the Bait Shop in the Super Market is gold.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    A friend of mine who is a big gamer just revealed he has never seen this movie and I about passed out from pure shock.
    Guy needs to get on it. I actually bought the Blu Ray Collector's edition two days ago and am waiting for it to arrive. I usually don't watch director commentaries but am curious to hear his thoughts. Plus there are deleted scenes and other things. I was not a fan of them changing the cover art though. You don't need to fix what isn't broke.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guy needs to get on it. I actually bought the Blu Ray Collector's edition two days ago and am waiting for it to arrive. I usually don't watch director commentaries but am curious to hear his thoughts. Plus there are deleted scenes and other things. I was not a fan of them changing the cover art though. You don't need to fix what isn't broke.
    Oh wow didn't know they had a special edition. The only I have is just the basic dvd, has the commercial for it and that's about it I think lol. And how there hasn't been a panel or Q&A of some type at a E3 event for The Wizard is beyond me lol. I would imagine that movie, as it was intended, turned on many many people of all ages to video games.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I read it was just released March 24th 2020. I bought one up instantly.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Halloween is comforting to me during October but only during October.

Movies that I find comforting and can just relax to are:

Labyrinth

The Simpsons Movie

Love, Simon

What We Do In The Shadows

Easy A

Getting Go

Crazy, Stupid, Love