User Tag List

Thread: TENET

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TENET

We've posted this in the trailer thread but I wanted to make a solo thread because not only is this the next Nolan movie that looks really badass like Inception but it's also the first major movie to come out since Covid. It's currently scheduled for a July 17th release with Disney's Mulan following it a week later on July 24, and there's a Russell Crowe movie called Unhinged that's preceding both of them on July 1. I have to imagine Unhinged will flop hard but it will at least give the theaters a test run for those blockbusters to follow. These movies will be up against state restrictions on re-opening and capacity limits so I don't expect any of them to smash at the box office but I for one am happy that they're moving forward and returning us to normalcy.

I will strongly consider seeing Tenet in the cinema. Of course, unless you live alone it isn't always just a solo decision and you have to consider the people you live with and particularly the elderly people you visit with. My personal fear of Covid is very low but I strongly respect the deadly toll it's still having on the elderly. Also my sister might yell at me if I decide to go so I'll have to take that into consideration.

So yea. I'm in, barring family/roommate approval. Also the movie looks cool and JDW is the man.

What are you thoughts on TENET and will you consider going to the theater this summer?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Looking forward to being in a seat day 1 if possible. Nolan film's are just that now, and for all the right reasons.

And given his takes on time and memory in Memento or time and the mind's perceptions in dreams in Inception or time and gravity in Interstellar.. I can't wait for what appears to be a focus on entropy and it's relation to time in this one.

Also expecting Branagh, Pattinson, and Washington to seriously deliver.
    Last edited by Percussion; December 26th, 2020 at 10:55 PM.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People are saying that Tenet has a runtime of 3 hours and 15 minutes.

Phew.

That's a marathon.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey_Badger View Post

Phew.

That's a marathon.
    I watched 4 episodes in a row of Better Call Saul on my old ass couch the other day. It was so bad when I sat up to take a piss finally I thought I was experiencing "phantom limb"

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nolan is very overrated.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by _me View Post
    Nolan is very overrated.
    By some people, sure, but overall I disagree. I mean what more do you want from the guy. he delivered 2 all time classic super hero movies (plus a decent 3rd one). The Prestige is a classic all around IMO. Memento isn't a movie I particularly want to revisit often but it was original and cool. Insomnia was a good traditional serial killer/cop movie. Inception was tons of fun. Dunkirk was a technical gem, even if it wasn't the most compelling war film character/dialogue-wise.

He is rightfully considered one of the best filmmakers of this century and makes really unique movies. And it's not like he's bringing home all these Oscars, he didn't get his first best directing nomination until Dunkirk. maybe you think he's overrated by his fans but that's only natural. I personally didn't love Interstellar and a lot of other people didn't either.

I guess I agree that many people overrate some of his individual movies, but his filmography is beaten by almost no one in the last 20 years.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Well said..

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    By some people, sure, but overall I disagree. I mean what more do you want from the guy. he delivered 2 all time classic super hero movies (plus a decent 3rd one). The Prestige is a classic all around IMO. Memento isn't a movie I particularly want to revisit often but it was original and cool. Insomnia was a good traditional serial killer/cop movie. Inception was tons of fun. Dunkirk was a technical gem, even if it wasn't the most compelling war film character/dialogue-wise.

He is rightfully considered one of the best filmmakers of this century and makes really unique movies. And it's not like he's bringing home all these Oscars, he didn't get his first best directing nomination until Dunkirk. maybe you think he's overrated by his fans but that's only natural. I personally didn't love Interstellar and a lot of other people didn't either.

I guess I agree that many people overrate some of his individual movies, but his filmography is beaten by almost no one in the last 20 years.
    I have never felt compelled to watch his movies again. Once is more than enough. That is what I mean by overrated. Technically, he is amazing. I totally agree with the bolded part of your quote.

But his films are not a "fun watch" which is basically all I look for in movies. He is way too complicated for _me to enjoy.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Nolan makes big Hollywood blockbusters that give the average movie goer something to think and talk about afterwards. I think that's always a good thing.

Phew.

That's a marathon.
    I doubt it's that long. Films shot in IMAX can only run so long, and I think The Dark Knight Rises basically hit the threshold.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Nolan is one of the best today. I am very pumped to see Tenet.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by _me View Post
    I have never felt compelled to watch his movies again. Once is more than enough. That is what I mean by overrated. Technically, he is amazing. I totally agree with the bolded part of your quote.

But his films are not a "fun watch" which is basically all I look for in movies. He is way too complicated for _me to enjoy.
    I feel 100% the opposite. There's not a film of his I haven't been compelled to watch at least a few times, as I've thought all of them fun and interesting in each their own unique ways, much like fro said.

Certainly nothing wrong with a difference of subjective opinion, but for me the guy could make a coke commercial and I'd probably pay to watch it a second time.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, judging by the past box office and the buzz for this one, this is clearly a _me problem and not Nolan's problem. I accept I hold a minority viewpoint.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved Interstellar. I recently re-read the thread on here and I had the same reaction as everyone else - I just thought about the film for days afterwards. I think Nolan is brave to deal with big complex concepts in his films and he trusts the audience to keep up rather than holding their hand. It’s not his best film by any means, but the sheer scale and spectacle was something that cinema was made for. It’s a film I can go back to repeatedly. The wormhole, mountain and docking scenes still hold up. Cooper watching the video is still gut-wrenching. And Zimmer’s score is still immense from start to finish.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Not a big fan of Nolan, I like Insomnia but the rest I either didn't like too much or didn't see. Never saw Memento, the Dark Knight trilogy was ok, not really big on modern superhero films though, never saw the Prestige, Inception I didn't like at all, and never saw Interstellar or Dunkirk

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean, that’s a lot of his films you haven’t seen.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Memento.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has been delayed to August 12, surely due to the still rising US covid numbers.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like they should just bite the bullet they choose to bite and either go streaming or delay it a year.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Might as well move it to December in Dune's spot.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by BGMaverick View Post
    Seems like they should just bite the bullet they choose to bite and either go streaming or delay it a year.
    Fairly certain Nolan would bury it's existence rather than ever going straight to streaming..

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
    Fairly certain Nolan would bury it's existence rather than ever going straight to streaming..
    That's what I figured. I guess my stance with the delay is problematic to an extent because the film was or is supposed to be the savior for the theaters.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    It will finally be released on 12.2.21 and everyone will declare Nolan a genius for this.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phew.

That's a marathon.
    Not sure if that report was just false or they cut it, but the runtime of Tenet is reportedly 2 hours and 29 minutes

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the song Travis Scott has for the movie.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Half the dialouge is exposition , the soundtrack is just BRRRM and vibrates so much you will feel like you are sat on a sybian on Howard Stern.

You won't give a shit about the plot and will have forgotten about it by the time you are home.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you're describing Inception...

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pros:

Washington was great from start to finish and I can’t wait to see more of his work. I won’t pretend to have seen many of Pattinson’s films but I think I finally get it in terms of what he brings to the table and I’m looking forward to his Batman even more after this.

The set-pieces are what you expect from Nolan these days - big, visceral, expertly put together. He knows how to keep the characters, and thus the audience, at the centre of the action rather than indulge in fancy shots of the stunts. There’s a fist fight in a corridor that is outstanding - it was the highlight of the film for me.

There are some images that we just haven’t seen before in a blockbuster. I’m surprised so much was given away in the trailers as they probably would have landed even better if you were seeing them for the first time.

Anyone who is tired of sequels and reboots will surely admire the sheer ambition and ingenuity of this film. This is bold stuff. Comparisons to Inception miss the mark - I think this is way more complex and there’s no audience surrogate character to walk you through the concepts. There were a few on-the-nose moments about people not understanding what they were being told, but Nolan certainly trusts in his audience to get this. But perhaps he’s finally gone too far.

Cons:

I was completely lost at times. Which is not necessarily a bad thing when the film reveals stuff later on that explains earlier moments. Some things make more sense after reading around. But the problem is that the film moves at such breakneck speed that I had that “What is going on here?” feeling for long stretches - to the point where I was watching a set piece but not fully understanding the goal that the characters were trying to achieve. That feeling was really distracting. It took me time to reflect on some of Interstellar’s ideas and concepts after the first watch, but I still felt satisfied and blown away. This was almost inaccessible at times and therefore I came away a little disappointed.

I’ve never agreed with the idea of Nolan’s films being overtly “cold” but this is probably the most functional and detached of his big films in terms of characters. I liked them and wanted more of those rare occasions where they sat and talked without churning through huge plot explanations. There was no scene that really resonated with me like Cooper watching the video, Cobb at the house or even a punch-the-air moment like Bruce’s jump.

The music is at times overwhelming - the last thing you need when you’re barely keeping up with the exposition. Dunkirk was an assault on the senses in a good way because there are whole scenes with little dialogue and you were fully immersed in the carnage. In this, there were a few moments when I couldn’t really make out what was being said. Multiply that by five when people are talking fast whilst wearing masks.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well I'm not reading any of that but the name of the game for americans now is avoiding spoilers. whats our updated release date?

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'm not sure about theaters but it's out at drive ins.

There's one pretty close to me so I'm going to try to talk my wife into going to see it next weekend.

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Pros:

Washington was great from start to finish and I can’t wait to see more of his work. I won’t pretend to have seen many of Pattinson’s films but I think I finally get it in terms of what he brings to the table and I’m looking forward to his Batman even more after this.

The set-pieces are what you expect from Nolan these days - big, visceral, expertly put together. He knows how to keep the characters, and thus the audience, at the centre of the action rather than indulge in fancy shots of the stunts. There’s a fist fight in a corridor that is outstanding - it was the highlight of the film for me.

There are some images that we just haven’t seen before in a blockbuster. I’m surprised so much was given away in the trailers as they probably would have landed even better if you were seeing them for the first time.

Anyone who is tired of sequels and reboots will surely admire the sheer ambition and ingenuity of this film. This is bold stuff. Comparisons to Inception miss the mark - I think this is way more complex and there’s no audience surrogate character to walk you through the concepts. There were a few on-the-nose moments about people not understanding what they were being told, but Nolan certainly trusts in his audience to get this. But perhaps he’s finally gone too far.

Cons:

I was completely lost at times. Which is not necessarily a bad thing when the film reveals stuff later on that explains earlier moments. Some things make more sense after reading around. But the problem is that the film moves at such breakneck speed that I had that “What is going on here?” feeling for long stretches - to the point where I was watching a set piece but not fully understanding the goal that the characters were trying to achieve. That feeling was really distracting. It took me time to reflect on some of Interstellar’s ideas and concepts after the first watch, but I still felt satisfied and blown away. This was almost inaccessible at times and therefore I came away a little disappointed.

I’ve never agreed with the idea of Nolan’s films being overtly “cold” but this is probably the most functional and detached of his big films in terms of characters. I liked them and wanted more of those rare occasions where they sat and talked without churning through huge plot explanations. There was no scene that really resonated with me like Cooper watching the video, Cobb at the house or even a punch-the-air moment like Bruce’s jump.

The music is at times overwhelming - the last thing you need when you’re barely keeping up with the exposition. Dunkirk was an assault on the senses in a good way because there are whole scenes with little dialogue and you were fully immersed in the carnage. In this, there were a few moments when I couldn’t really make out what was being said. Multiply that by five when people are talking fast whilst wearing masks.
    Agree with most of this, especially the bit about being completely lost. I think I'll definitely enjoy it more in rewatch.

I didn't think Washington was great and felt a lot of the dialogue was crap tbh. I enjoyed almost everything else even if stuff was passing me by at times.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I agree. I thought Washington had loads of charisma but no depth. Which is pretty analogous for the film.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    well I'm not reading any of that but the name of the game for americans now is avoiding spoilers. whats our updated release date?
    It opens tomorrow in the states, though where I am movie theaters are shut until sometime in October.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Finally able to sit and watch this.. and absolutely loved it. Loads of fun.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally saw this, and I liked it. Definitely very similar to Inception. I was confused at times and I did a fair amount of rewinding to hear some of the explanatory dialogue again. I could see myself being even more confused if I saw it with no rewinds. But I did enjoy it and found the action scenes compelling even if I couldn’t follow everything. Nolan is a madman for writing this shit and now I feel like watching YouTube videos explaining how technically savvy I’m sure it was.

Side note his next film is about J. Robert Oppenheimer and the Manhattan Project which was referenced in Tenet. That sounds good to me. He’s also leaving Warner Bros for Universal.

I’ll need to watch it again but I think I liked Tenet more than Inception.

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    I was utterly confused while watching. I'm sure I need to watch scum, but it's not even close to Inception for me.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was never super high on Inception to begin with, at least not compared to people who really loved it. Both of them are about 7 out of 10 to me.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inception > Tenet

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Yeah that's an easy call for me as well. Tenet was ok, but not close to as enjoyable as Inception.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was reading a review that said “Because this is a Christopher Nolan movie, there’s a scene in which our hero has afternoon tea with Michael Caine.”

So true, lol