Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remake A Match

Remake A Match

For example...

No Way Out (Of Texas) IYH 1998

The main event where Savio Vega did not belong at all. I was watching this card last night and the obvious replacement was staring me right in the face as I fast forwarded through his NWA North American title match and that was Jeff Jarrett. Yeah he looked like an asshole but he was at least being used on tv and it would have been a much better worker and a much better heel in the main event. Seriously, when Savio came out, 22 years later I could still feel that popping a balloon feeling.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Poor Savio. Reliable hand, had good chemistry with Austin and Owen on the other side, had been with the WWF for years and they trot him out there with that shitty looking barb wire to replace Shawn. Savio did the best he could. Bruce Prichard has talked of delivering a replacement better than who was booked originally but they didn't get that done here.

Jarrett could have worked but just came back and cut that interview about Austin 3:16 being blasphemous and Austin put him on ice before anything could get going.

They could have just slid Chyna in but that seems to rush her evolution and I'm not sure how she would have done at that time.

Trying to think but can't quite think of anyone. A lot of people were booked on that card, with the 5 on 5 War of Attrition with The Nation against a motley crew of guys for example. The Rock could have done double duty but doesn't really fit with that group.

I think a outside surprise could have been a wise move but nothing happened there. I don't think it was too late since it was Shawn's back and people must have known he was hurt.

I remember buying this video after doing the starve and save your lunch money routine. PIease, I need a extra dollar for ice cream mom. I need 75 cents for milk. Cashiers used to hate me counting out $20 in ones and change to pay for my VHSs.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just felt Jarrett because he was a good worker and like you said he had came back and shit on Austin anyway. I guess Savio was the best option without having to force someone in a match. They couldn't do Kane because he'd have to lose, even if he didn't take the pin it was too early.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was about to say XPac, but i forgot he wasn't back in the WWF until after Mania lol.

Chyna might have worked. I know she wasn't really wrestling yet, but they could have had her in there for a couple of spots.

I don't know who else might have worked in that match. I'm trying to recall who was in that roster in early 98 that could have matched well, but nothing comes to mind.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah, Kane could have been intriguing. Could have sold it as can he get along with people? Maybe have Kane start out destroying Owen, Foley and Funk. Then have some miscommunication that leads to Kane laying his team out. Kane then leaves like Bad News Brown at any Survivor Series match he was in. Keep him away from Austin, minus a small tease like Hogan/Warrior in Rumble 90. Hard to book that one because the story they were telling between Kane and Taker would have been slightly derailed with Kane being inserted here.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by JuveLeo View Post
    I was about to say XPac, but i forgot he wasn't back in the WWF until after Mania lol.

Chyna might have worked. I know she wasn't really wrestling yet, but they could have had her in there for a couple of spots.

I don't know who else might have worked in that match. I'm trying to recall who was in that roster in early 98 that could have matched well, but nothing comes to mind.
    I was thinking in my original thoughts that if Eric fired Waltman earlier he would have been perfect but he had the neck injury to deal with too so I didn't include it.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You also had Goldust and Marc Mero available. I think either would have worked. This was also when Sable was about to powerbomb Mero so I would have maybe went with them. Imagine the Sable-Chyna interaction if they wanted to go that route....

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Savio and the Boricuas had that loose association with DX helping them out attacking Taker, Owen and going after Austin so there was some logic. I think most would have struggled in that spot having to fill Shawn’s shoes.

Kane I think was too big a force and a loner at that point to be part of a team. I suppose one way might be you have a Taker return or at the least a tease to distract him but I think keeping him strong on the path of destruction taking out Vader was fone.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff Jarrett was never used to his full potential in WWF/E.

I loved his character in WCW.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerry "The King" Lawler would have made a better replacement mystery partner than Savio Vega.

- Lawler was a heel commentator running down the babyfaces. Babyfaces can finally get their hands on him.

- Lawler had beef with Terry Funk going all the way back to Memphis.

- They were in Texas. Jerry's Southern heel stuff still would have worked there.

- Shawn Michaels replaced Lawler once in 1994, in another big tag-team match. Jerry's back to return the favor.

- Austin could Stun and pin Lawler and nobody important would have to get beat.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines
    Jerry would have elicited more boos than Jarrett or Savio, too. Can't go wrong with The King

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SummerSlam 1988. If we could remake a match, then remake this one, and remake it as advertised. Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the only reason for Vega was because of his strap match feud in the past. I think Jarrett wasthe One that attacked Owen at Rumble .One guy I think could have made a little sense was fake Razor just so he could get kicked by the clique and give him a proper send off
    Last edited by Bluegunn; May 27th, 2020 at 2:50 PM.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegunn View Post
    I thought the only reason for Vega was because of his strap match feud in the past. I think Jarrett wasthe One that attacked Owen at Rumble .One guy I think could have made a little sense was fake Razor just so he could get kicked by the clique and give him a proper send off
    I think it goes beyond the strap match which was 2 years prior.Los Boricuas helped in the gang attack on Taker with DX at Rumble 1998, they once beat down Owen on Raw being paid off by DX and Chyna once recruited them to get thevWWF title back which Austin stile from Shawn though Austin outwitted them and ended up padlocking the door after taunting them. They had a loose association with DX. Funk along with Foley were already feuding with the Outlaws.

He obviously wasn't the guy Shawn was but logically he made some sense as he and his group worked with DX. Lawler would have been good but some of what Spudz posted was probably a bit obscure for the modern fans.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also I know some poo-poo Savio but I think hecould have made at least decent short-term IC Champ (he nearly was until damn Gorilla overruled the decision) or tag champ with Miguel. I was a big Savio mark.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudz Mackenzie View Post
    Jerry "The King" Lawler would have made a better replacement mystery partner than Savio Vega.

- Lawler was a heel commentator running down the babyfaces. Babyfaces can finally get their hands on him.

- Lawler had beef with Terry Funk going all the way back to Memphis.

- They were in Texas. Jerry's Southern heel stuff still would have worked there.

- Shawn Michaels replaced Lawler once in 1994, in another big tag-team match. Jerry's back to return the favor.

- Austin could Stun and pin Lawler and nobody important would have to get beat.
    This is great. Really well thought out. I love the fact of Lawler returning the favor for Survivor Series 93. The King doing crotch chops would be pretty great too.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to put in another one.

HHH vs Booker T Wrestlemania 19.

Booker should have won. It was a borderline racey angle which would have been okay if Booker had won but he did not. Even worse, Booker looked really piss weak by the ending. It was a great match for the most part with moves like the Indian deathlock and Harlem Hangover being brought out could have been salvagable if Booker looked stronger by taking a couple of pedigrees but after the Hangover, long pauses in between yet HHH slowly got up and beat him with one Pedigree where everyone thought he would kick out.

Ending comoletely spoils an otherwise great match.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think everyone can agree the wrong guy won. The aftermath was even worst considering nash was next to get a shot

I think everyone can agree the wrong guy won. The aftermath was even worst considering nash was next to get a shot

Also I would rebook Morrison vs punk at night of champions. Yes the Benoit thing threw a wrench in it, but punk was set as champ. Morrison did not do anything to earn the title. They should have saved Morrison for the next episode to chase punk. I think triple threat with punk vs burke vs corvon. They were all in the tournament so it would make sense they all get the title shot. Would it be a better match in the end? Probably not, but the booking would at least make sense
    Last edited by Bluegunn; May 27th, 2020 at 5:49 PM.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also I would rebook Morrison vs punk at night of champions. Yes the Benoit thing threw a wrench in it, but punk was set as champ. Morrison did not do anything to earn the title. They should have saved Morrison for the next episode to chase punk. I think triple threat with punk vs burke vs corvon. They were all in the tournament so it would make sense they all get the title shot. Would it be a better match in the end? Probably not, but the booking would at least make sense
    Oh definitely I think Booker really should have won but even in defeat they could have made him look stronger but it was doubly worse that they didn't.

Tbh about the latter match, Punk could have won but not really the worst decision where the course could have been altered significantly. ECW title was really a midcard-level title (even Chabo held it) and Punk went onto bigger and better things. Think there are many better choices than that.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thinking about this a bit, I'd remake two matches from Wrestlemania 18.

- Kurt Angle vs. Kane was insta-feud filler.

- Edge vs. Booker T was... well... they were wrestling over a shampoo commercial.

I'd keep the Kane/Kurt Angle setup the same. Kurt nails Kane with a TV camera and gives him drastic head trauma.

But I'd set it up so that Booker T and Edge are actually fighting over the Intercontinental Championship. Now going into 'Mania 18, William Regal had the IC strap and he was feuding with Rob Van Dam.

So, I'd keep the Van Dam/Regal feud going, but have Kane and Van Dam team up to beat Regal and Kurt Angle on TV one week. Kane pins Regal. Then, in another tag-team match, Edge and Van Dam team up and beat Regal and Booker T. Edge beats Regal.

Edge and Kane both believe they have a claim to wrestle Regal for his title. So, a big change happens going into the show. Booker T and Edge were initially going to wrestle each other over the shampoo thing. Kane and Kurt Angle were going to wrestle each other, because of Kane's grudge against Angle for smashing him with the ring bell.

Instead, both matches get turned into an awesome Fatal 4-Way, that Kurt Angle ultimately wins by blasting Kane with the ring bell again.

After 'Mania 18, you'd have Angle beat Van Dam for the title -- that he'd still win from Regal.

Angle would claim he'd made "millions of dollars in Japanese shampoo commercial money" (while footage of him sitting backstage signing a stack of .18 checks plays) and eventually he and Edge would get into a feud over the IC title culminating in a Hair vs. Hair and Intercontinental Title match. So Kurt wins the big 'Mania match, wins the belt, and they even pay off the stupid shampoo commercial angle in a satisfying way, and eventually a new star gets made by winning the belt and having his opponent's head shaved.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WM13

- Vader vs. Rocky Maivia for the IC Title. The Sultan was a horrible opponent for Mania. It was originally supposed to be Marc Mero which would've been good, but Mero got injured, and Sultan was the replacement. That shows how weak the roster was at the time.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Kasady View Post
    WM13

- Vader vs. Rocky Maivia for the IC Title. The Sultan was a horrible opponent for Mania. It was originally supposed to be Marc Mero which would've been good, but Mero got injured, and Sultan was the replacement. That shows how weak the roster was at the time.
    Sultan was actually Rocky's non-biological cousin Rikishi, Badger fact of the day/night. Good wrestler obv just horrible gimmick.

Rocky was in the midst of a push and him just going against Vader let alone beating him would have had Rocky booed even worse,

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we're talking about Wrestlemania 13, I'd have rejiggered the card so that Rocky wrestled Owen Hart and Vader worked The British Bulldog.

Those would've been better matches than what we actually got.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good match wise I think Tiger Ali Singh would have had a decent match with the Rock.

Bulldog and Vader both being heel at the time does not make as much sense even if for the euro title. They did have the Patriot though that could work with either one. My problem with the mania cards were having #1 contender matches. I know the tag scene was stacked, but why have them on mania?
    Last edited by Bluegunn; May 28th, 2020 at 3:51 AM.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TigerAli Singh and decent match in tbe same sentence. First time for everything I guess.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rocky vs. Tiger Ali Singh wouldn't have been very good. But if they could have had Tiger Jeet Singh and Rocky Johnson in the same ring together, that would have made for a cool historic "Wrestlemania moment".

I mean, it wouldn't have been much different than having Rocky Johnson beat up Bob Backlund and The Iron Sheik, right?

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good match wise I think Tiger Ali Singh would have had a decent match with the Rock.

Bulldog and Vader both being heel at the time does not make as much sense even if for the euro title. They did have the Patriot though that could work with either one. My problem with the mania cards were having #1 contender matches. I know the tag scene was stacked, but why have them on mania?
    Vader went babyface when The Patriot came in and they were working against The Hart Foundation.

Maybe you'd have Vader and The Patriot -- as the All-American good guys against Owen Hart and Bulldog -- The Canadian Hart Foundation assholes -- For the tag-team titles.

Mankind doesn't want anything to do with Vader when he starts paling around with The Patriot goof, so he turns heel.

So -- Rocky vs. Mankind for the Intercontinental Championship

Vader and The Patriot vs. Owen Hart and The Bulldog for The Tag-Team Championship.

Remember, Vader/Mankind vs. Owen/Doggy was heel vs. heel at the time.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about remaking Sting vs Hogan at Starrcade 97 to have Sting win clean without the bs.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wrestlemania 2000. Scrap the main-event, book The Rock versus Triple H, one-on-one.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Backlash was the PPV Wrestlemania 2000 should have been. If that’s Mania then perhaps a slight tweak to keep the triangle ladder match in.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Sultan was actually Rocky's non-biological cousin Rikishi, Badger fact of the day/night. Good wrestler obv just horrible gimmick.

Rocky was in the midst of a push and him just going against Vader let alone beating him would have had Rocky booed even worse,
    Would the match have been good a few years later with Rikishi vs. The Rock? Probably. But Rocky wasn't getting over as a face, and putting him up against a bland heel like Sultan certainly didn't help.

Vader had just dropped out of the WWF title picture. If they wanted to avoid Rocky being hated then they should've cut his reign short, have Vader as the unstoppable champ, and strengthen the IC belt.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would the match have been good a few years later with Rikishi vs. The Rock? Probably. But Rocky wasn't getting over as a face, and putting him up against a bland heel like Sultan certainly didn't help.

Vader had just dropped out of the WWF title picture. If they wanted to avoid Rocky being hated then they should've cut his reign short, have Vader as the unstoppable champ, and strengthen the IC belt.
    I don't think the push should have been necessarily cut short. Vader had a good thing going with the tag match. Personally I think HHH probably may have been a better Mania opponent as he probably could've generated boos so the heat would be off Rocky. Possibly have Goldust for the triple threat.

Theough at the end of the day, those boos would help Rocky down the road.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the push should have been necessarily cut short. Vader had a good thing going with the tag match. Personally I think HHH probably may have been a better Mania opponent as he probably could've generated boos so the heat would be off Rocky. Possibly have Goldust for the triple threat.

Theough at the end of the day, those boos would help Rocky down the road.
    Was that failed reign that important to the Rock he'd become? The tag match was garbage, as there was no story between the teams and were better ways to use them. I don't think that HHH would've been a better Mania opponent than Vader, after losing to Rocky on Thursday RAW Thursday and again at Final Four one month prior.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was that failed reign that important to the Rock he'd become? The tag match was garbage, as there was no story between the teams and were better ways to use them. I don't think that HHH would've been a better Mania opponent than Vader, after losing to Rocky on Thursday RAW Thursday and again at Final Four one month prior.
    Rocky was caught in an unfortunate position where fans were not liking the squeaky clean guys anymore, otherwise I felt it would have worked better. He used the heat well later. Fair play on the Raw results though could’ve changed those in the build-up too.

The tag match was an interesting dynamic, I’d have to re-watch it to see if it’s as bad as you say. Suppose Vader’s not a bad choice for IC champ but also feel at the time perhaps a step down. He got great momentum after beating Taker at the Rumble and with Taker winning the belt he was rightly in the title picture later.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rocky was caught in an unfortunate position where fans were not liking the squeaky clean guys anymore, otherwise I felt it would have worked better. He used the heat well later. Fair play on the Raw results though could’ve changed those in the build-up too.

The tag match was an interesting dynamic, I’d have to re-watch it to see if it’s as bad as you say. Suppose Vader’s not a bad choice for IC champ but also feel at the time perhaps a step down. He got great momentum after beating Taker at the Rumble and with Taker winning the belt he was rightly in the title picture later.
    Obviously, Vader was way above the IC belt but I just think his run should've paid off with winning gold, and it could've been a reward for his performance at Final Four, along with one big Mania match.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey_Badger View Post
    Wrestlemania 2000. Scrap the main-event, book The Rock versus Triple H, one-on-one.
    It was supposed to be Foleys send off match though. I think most of the Universe wanted Foley to win so they have the tournament for the vacant title

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Foley already had his retirement match. Was a nonsensical addition considering it came down to Rock and Triple H anyway, and Show was pissing about as a joke a month later anyway. Do the same ending with the Vince turn and Backlash rematch, keep Foley off, have Show elsewhere, maybe against Rikishi with Kane facing X-Pac in a proper blow off.

Early 2000 wasn't that good all being told, booking wise. The Rumble was a banging PPV and Cactus vs. HHH was a home run, and Kurt Angle was great. It was more moments than cohesive threads until 'Mania, just the moments (Radicalz debut, Kane return, Tazz debut) were superb. Easy to forget that the Dudley's were still doing the tye dye stuttering gimmick, Hardy's had Terri, E&C were non-descript faces etc. Then 'Mania happened and they had a 6 month stretch of hitting it out of the park with programmes, all up to "I did it... for The Rock".

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is that Rock "lost" the rumble and big show "won".

They had to fix the botch so you can't really keep show out of it. Foley should at least be ref. Besides how many times did we see rock vs hhh in 1999? By that point not that special.