User Tag List

Thread: Undertaker The Last Ride

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Undertaker The Last Ride

Has anyone else watched this yet?

I think at this point the reason I still have the WWE Network is for stuff like this, not so much the PPVs. I enjoyed Chapter 1, it's cool to see Taker as a regular guy backstage and I'm pretty sure 5 parts isn't going to be enough for me. He is obsessed with this idea of going out with this really great match but knowing him it's hard to imagine that happening. It seems more like the only way he's going to retire is if he just has a bunch of clunkers or gets seriously hurt. He talked about originally wanting to have this 4/5 star match with AJ at Mania before the world changed and they ended up with the boneyard match but I feel like if he had that 4 star match with AJ at Mania it would just motivate him to keep going.

I was surprised they left Jericho and JR in the show given they're in AEW now but I'm glad they did. Triple H waiting for Taker after WM33 was a really cool moment. I'm curious to see how this whole thing ends. Is it a documentary on his last 3 years as a wrestler? Or a documentary about why he won't retire? Either way I can't wait to watch it all.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is the mystery, have we seen his final match? Wrestlemania 33 was clearly supposed to be it for him, but he wasn't happy with his performance and got back in the ring. And I think the money has been too much for him to turn down.

Putting Reigns over in Orlando was really a perfect way for his career to end, I hope they can construct something that good for when he's finally done.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After seeing one episode, I'm more than convinced WWE is screwing this up by not putting it on Raw to fill an hour. If they're trying to market this as coattail riding the Jordan doc, they're doing a piss poor job of marketing it and capitalizing on it. Save yourself trouble for 1/3 of Raw and spend a quick seg on Smackdown to promote the next episode.

I appreciate the honesty Taker has with his approach though this.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly thought it would be a doc solely focused on that match, with the end of the series going into a "after a year off, Undertaker returned to a part time schedule" roll credits. How do we think this culminates? Was the Styles match his last then? Does he announce he has one last match and they promote it as such on TV?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From his interview on The Bump yesterday it sounds like he’s still searching for that last 4 star match at Mania. He acknowledged the success of the Boneyard match but didnt give the impression that it was the match he wants to go out on.

WM33 was fine until the Tombstone reversal spot, after that they both seemed shook and it just became constant superman punches. But I feel if hes ever going to have a good match at Mania again its gotta be with someone like AJ, Bryan or Rollins.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loved it. Can't wait for next week - stuff like this makes the network worthwhile to me in one swoop.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So fucking good.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the Saudis keep rolling out those huge paydays, I certainly cannot blame him for wanting to take the money.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very enjoyable doc and also eye-opening that Vince and Brock went straight to the hospital to check on him plus hearing those descriptions of how fucked he was.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked seeing Michelle too, theres always that reputation younger women get from marrying older men but when you see her talk about Taker and you see how closely she watches his matches she just comes off as totally in love with him and vice versa.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    When the Saudis keep rolling out those huge paydays, I certainly cannot blame him for wanting to take the money.
    Eh. Watching stuff like this makes me feel like money is still secondary and not the driving force behind working.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The surgical team playing Taker's music as he fades into dream land for his hip surgery was weird and humorous.

Vince's moment to display what Taker means to him was probably the most understandable explanation, based on what happened. Their relationship is so foreign in today's society because it really is built on loyalty.

Speaking of loyalty, Michelle is a hell of a wife. Wives of athletes usually have to go through hell and back in order to deal with the rigors of the athlete having to endure their life and Taker is no and was no different. Her support and commitment to him is definitely rare.

Such an "ah-ha" moment when Taker was watching the '18 Rumble and he said Styles was a guy he essentially regretted not being able to square off against.

You could have given me 50 guesses and I wouldn't have been able to guess who ultimately helped spar with Taker in the ring prior to the Cena Mania match.

Cena did so much in the build to that match to gin up interest and help rebuild Taker's mystique and did a lot within the match to help restore Taker (even with the short window). Again, speaking about Taker's brutal honesty, I really enjoyed the accountability he had with Reigns backstage after Taker faced Cena.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a little disappointed that they didn't give a reason as to why Cena/Taker was so short, was Vince unsure of Taker? Did they want to give TV time to Elias? Did Cena suggest it? Taker is upset the match was short and thought he'd go out and have a 30 minute match which shows he's not that aware of his ability at this point. He should stick to 10-15 maybe 20 minute matches from now on or none. I'm wondering who takes the blame for the DX/BOD match being so shit and it made me laugh how Michell is already groaning at him having a bad match just because she knows it will result in him having to redeem himself, again. One thing they glossed over was the hip surgery, if it only takes 1 day why did he wait 10-15 years to have it?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    It's my understanding that a hip replacement can only last 15 to 20 years before it needs replaced again. You can have it done a 2nd time but usually that is it. After that, the bone is to worn down to have another done. Granted, taker is probably not going to have 30 to 40 more years of life left but he probably also didnt want to chance spending the rest of it in a wheelchair. Generally speaking the longer you can put it off the better.

The technology gets better every year anyways so I'm sure when Taker is 80 he will be able to get Darth Vadered out and wrestle at mania once a year. Vince if course will just be a head on a robot body.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I got the impression that Taker would have hung up the boots for good if his match with Cena had gone the length he'd planned for. I'd be interested to know the rationale behind that decision.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe they didn’t want it covered in the doc because it could very well have been Vince’s decision because it does seem he wanted to be out there longer.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    I got the impression that Taker would have hung up the boots for good if his match with Cena had gone the length he'd planned for. I'd be interested to know the rationale behind that decision.
    While it’s now a given McMahon loves Taker to pieces, he is a businessman (or a business, man). The way I looked at it was McMahon realized Taker didn’t have it when Taker faced Reigns and Taker ultimately wanted to come back and make sure he didn’t end on that note, he wanted to motivate Taker show he still had it and had more in the tank to go forward. By staging Mania that way, McMahon just gave him a taste of it. That helps reignite Taker for more, and helps McMahon.
    Last edited by BGMaverick; May 18th, 2020 at 8:15 AM.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Excellent doc series so far, But some of his hats and tshirts make me a little queezy.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I kinda dug that the Undertaker never gave interviews, and always stayed in character. Kind of sucks seeing the man behind the character, but at the same time it's interesting.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Watched the first one with Mrs M and will continue watching it on my own.

Pretty good watch was episode one.

I get that he's from a different generation etc etc, but still going despite all the pain is just a bit mental, like. You could argue selfish too, though I know people will disagree with that. And I mean selfish to his wife, not the other wrestlers. Especially in 2020, where kayfabe is long dead and the business is long past it's boom period and where he was also a huge star. That's wrestling though, I suppose.

And him saying Vince would tell him if he's stinking the place up. Well, that has been the case when he's been out there, more often than not, for a few years now.

Should have retired after 'Mania XXX or 33.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's had the odd banger though, so it's hard to say he's completely useless at this point. Both of those matches weren't particularly good, and he had Lesnar Summerslam and the Cell, and the Styles thing, since each of those. It's a difficult one. Ric Flair for example looked a write off at various points for a couple of decades and still had that amazing closure to his (WWE) career. Then Shawn had his with 'Taker himself. That's the measuring stick to bowing out, and you can see why a performer like him would want to go out like that. It's a shame in retrospect that he didn't get 20 in the main event against Cena, knowing the nick he was in and how shit the actual main event was. He'd have parlayed it into another Brock payday though because he's a nutcase. All the good ones are.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Fair points. He was concussed at 'Mania XXX and I loved his SummerSlam '15 match with Lesnar. So I am being a little harsh.

But the pain he's in, yikes. I question his decisions to keep going, but you've got to respect the fella.

I look forward to the rest of the series.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The series is proving to be better than I imagined. That also makes me think they're missing the boat on helping their Raw ratings by not utilizing this doc for Raw.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they want to draw more attention to the Network than Raw.

If the Summerslam match with Brock didnt have a stupid finish it would be up there with my favorite matches of all time but I still enjoyed it.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I think they want to draw more attention to the Network than Raw.

If the Summerslam match with Brock didnt have a stupid finish it would be up there with my favorite matches of all time but I still enjoyed it.
    That seems shortsighted, but I get it. I mean...the shit is going to end up on FS1 in 3-5 years more than likely so you probably should've taken the chance for a short-term bump with your Raw ratings. That also loosens the load of your creative as they only have to book for 2 hours rather than 3.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BGMaverick View Post
    That seems shortsighted, but I get it. I mean...the shit is going to end up on FS1 in 3-5 years more than likely so you probably should've taken the chance for a short-term bump with your Raw ratings. That also loosens the load of your creative as they only have to book for 2 hours rather than 3.
    I would much rather see parts of this doc spread out through Raw and Smackdown than what we're seeing on Raw and Smackdown lol.

The WWE use Raw/SD as a way to lure you in to get the Network but I don't think they're goign Fuck Raw and SD, the ratings suck let's try to hook them in by paying for even MORE shit to watch. Remember, you can't watch Raw for free so you're paying for it some way whether that's cable, Hulu, or the Network. Even paying for internet.....Some of us don't want a new bill regardless if it's 9.99 or 1.99, it's another bill.

Raw and SD should be showing us clips to lure us in to get the Network. Plus it'll free up some of the nonsense they're trying to get over in the empty center.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree on the Network being more shit. I originally signed up for the PPVs and old PPVs but I actually keep it now for the original content. I kinda watch the live PPVs but they have some really good stuff like WWE Untold, 24, Monday night wars, Ruthless aggression, Table for 3 and probably some other stuff that I'm forgetting but that's why I keep my subscription even though I barely pay attention to Raw or SD.

If they sprinkled the Undertaker doc over Raw and SD I think it would lose some appeal and wouldn't garner as much emotion and interest as watching the whole thing at once without commercials. This has gotten attention outside of the wrestling world and if it were on TV it would be more like that Jeff Hardy thing on SD and not seem as important or original. Maybe an old Taker fan who doesn't pay much attention to Raw sees an advertisement and subscribes to see it and for the free trial, likes it and continues paying for WWE Network.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they sprinkled the Undertaker doc over Raw and SD I think it would lose some appeal and wouldn't garner as much emotion and interest as watching the whole thing at once without commercials. This has gotten attention outside of the wrestling world and if it were on TV it would be more like that Jeff Hardy thing on SD and not seem as important or original. Maybe an old Taker fan who doesn't pay much attention to Raw sees an advertisement and subscribes to see it and for the free trial, likes it and continues paying for WWE Network.
    The commercials didn't seem to be a problem for the Jordan doc. At best, I think you're getting a mixed bag of results in terms of getting people to sign up for another OTT platform, even if its free as a trial, when people already have a decent amount of OTT platforms already on their slate and money is becoming an issue for consumers in light of the pandemic. The conversion rate isn't guaranteed for new customers but you know you had an audience viewing Raw. You know they're there, but they've just gone away. You've got a chance to increase your viewership and then run advertisements within the show to pimp the Network if it's on Raw (your flagship show). You have a chance to increase your viewership on cable and have the same chance as you envisioned in your scenario to increase buys for the Network.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few minutes on Raw here and there would help fill up the long air time.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Finally got on this. Yeah it's great and should take up an hour of Raw I agree.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Finally got on this. Yeah it's great and should take up an hour of Raw I agree.
    Shame that would only last about 4 Rawls or however many chapters this has.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Episode 3:
    While it’s now a given McMahon loves Taker to pieces, he is a businessman (or a business, man). The way I looked at it was McMahon realized Taker didn’t have it when Taker faced Reigns and Taker ultimately wanted to come back and make sure he didn’t end on that note, he wanted to motivate Taker show he still had it and had more in the tank to go forward. By staging Mania that way, McMahon just gave him a taste of it. That helps reignite Taker for more, and helps McMahon.
    This played out to a larger degree in light of what came immediately after the Cena match.

Tying together HBK's closure in relation to Taker adds more insight as to why Taker has been going through what he's going through. HBK was able to get the sendoff he probably imagined having and it played out in storybook fashion. To magnify it, Taker was directly involved in that closure. With Taker being able to see it, he saw the blueprint how he could accomplish the same thing. It hasn't been able to go as Taker has wanted but I imagine see HBK's story still lingers in Taker's mind for how he wants to ride off into the sunset.

The Gin story with the trainer looked extra fluffy/time filler-y, especially if you tried to compare it to what you saw with the competitive drive from the Jordan doc. That will ultimately be the case if they don't go back to it or there's more context given over the last two episodes.

Taker's perspective with the DX match, saying it was built for success, seemed shortsighted. I think it was built of name recognition, but I don't think many people were outright craving to see that match. The outtake from Taker in the promo with Kane to build the DX match was funny. Taker talking about mentally not being there for the match and due to stuff going on at home and not addressing it (while respecting their personal business) does provide a weird gap in the story.

Going back to seeking closure and "chasing the dragon" as HBK said, with other people's perspective, was a very good touch to kind of encapsulate why Taker ultimately went through another 12-18 months of matches after getting the Cena match.

The fashion in this episode was hilarious: your typical stuff with Michael Hayes, Michelle wearing a military bulletproof vest during some training, and HBK wearing an Undisputed Era camo hat.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that angle about personal issues making that tag match bad doesnt work for me. If Takers personal problems caused Triple H to get injured, HBK to completely miss the moonsault and Kane’s mask to fall off, he truly is super natural.

Go Fuck Yourself was hilarious, I totally did not see that coming.

I was surprised Taker was satisfied with the HHH match in Australia, I remember it being too long and kinda shitty. Wasn’t that the match where Taker and Trips both ran into the barricade at the same time?

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't remember that spot, but I do remember that the match was too long and not good.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I completely forgot about the Trips/Taker match in Australia. Only part I remembered was the Bros. attacking them post-match.

"Go fuck yourself" was the highlight of this episode. "I look up and Kane's whole head fell off" was right up there and made me cackle. Never saw the match myself and didn't even know that happened. Glad to hear everyone involved admit it was shit and not let their ego get in the way and try to say otherwise.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was easily the worst episode of the three so far.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great episode that really showed you that even at that level there's no shame in admitting you weren't the GOAT.

That DX v. Bros of Destruction match...The irony in the fact the guy who hadn't wrestled in almost a decade was the only wrestler that seemed to truly belong in the match. I've been an advocate for Kane needing to step away for years. Truth is, that match was just apparently not supposed to happen and the wrestling gods made sure they all took note.

LOVED the (brief) talk about Shawn and Undertaker's relationship. Made perfect sense and I know they've both talked about their relationship in the past through various mediums like books, shoots, etc. but yeah it was pretty much spot on.

I am very interested in the next episode breaking down Goldberg v. Taker. I've felt bad for Goldberg in the sense that people acted like he was Kenny Omega wrestling the blowup doll. People acted like the DX match never happened not too long prior lol. IMO Taker has redeemed those matches with the tag-match with Roman against Shane and Drew as well as the glorious Boneyard match. But Goldberg v. Taker.....another match that the wrestling gods swooped in real quick. I imagine had Goldberg not hurt himself we would've had a slightly better match.

I think Fiend v. Goldberg though kind of showed Goldy isn't the He-Man he thinks he still is.

It was easily the worst episode of the three so far.
    Still an awesome despite being "the worst".

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    I don't remember that spot, but I do remember that the match was too long and not good.
    Like 60% of HHH's entire career. Or perhaps that's moreso in latter years.

Actually, it's probably not. That HIAC match with Shawn was nearly an hour.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Triple H always has to have some long drawn out match because he thinks he's Ric Flair. Or maybe that Warrior squash did something to his brain but in the debate tournament this year I literally looked up like the last 10 Mania's he was in and all but I think 1 he had the longest match of the night and the one he didn't only beat him by like 30 seconds or something stupid. Who was asking for a 20+ minute match with him and Batista for fuck's sake last year?

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Triple H always has to have some long drawn out match because he thinks he's Ric Flair. Or maybe that Warrior squash did something to his brain but in the debate tournament this year I literally looked up like the last 10 Mania's he was in and all but I think 1 he had the longest match of the night and the one he didn't only beat him by like 30 seconds or something stupid. Who was asking for a 20+ minute match with him and Batista for fuck's sake last year?
    I do agree with the general point that HHH has too many "epics" and is not best at being concise. Sometimes they pay off (eg vs Austin at No Way Out), (vs HBK Summerslam 02) but other times they misfire (eg vs HBK HITC. Also remember Taker at KOTR 2002 being stinking, HHH vs Orton at Mania, ugh ugh).

I'd have to rewatch the Batista match with fresh eyes but don't remember at the time feeling like it dragged. HHH/Bats was a huge deal at the time and Batista getting Orton's push was a reshuffle that ended up working for the best and then some. Also Bats got put over twice more completing a hat-trick in PPVs which I definitely did not expect.

Looking back, more often than not for the shit that HHH gets, he's actually been overall quite generous at Mania.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think his idea of storytelling means you must go at least 30 minutes. Trips/Taker at KOTR was bad but I think it was because that was during the time when HHH was always injured and instead of just staying home and getting healthy he would work through the injury and stink up the joint. The brawl he and Taker had leading up to that KOTR match was much more entertaining.That’s the only Taker/HHH match I remember not liking until the match in Australia.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I do agree with the general point that HHH has too many "epics" and is not best at being concise. Sometimes they pay off (eg vs Austin at No Way Out), (vs HBK Summerslam 02) but other times they misfire (eg vs HBK HITC. Also remember Taker at KOTR 2002 being stinking, HHH vs Orton at Mania, ugh ugh).

I'd have to rewatch the Batista match with fresh eyes but don't remember at the time feeling like it dragged. HHH/Bats was a huge deal at the time and Batista getting Orton's push was a reshuffle that ended up working for the best and then some. Also Bats got put over twice more completing a hat-trick in PPVs which I definitely did not expect.

Looking back, more often than not for the shit that HHH gets, he's actually been overall quite generous at Mania.
    The first Triple H/Batista match at Mania 21 was awesome, I loved that whole storyline and the matches they had. I'm talking about last year.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    The first Triple H/Batista match at Mania 21 was awesome, I loved that whole storyline and the matches they had. I'm talking about last year.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is documentary has been amazing. These docs and SCSA Broken Skull Sessions is what makes me watch the WWE network. I love seeing all the stuff with Taker behind the scenes and just showing him as a regular dude who loves wrestling.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a great series so far and has been well worth the £9.99 this month.

I was shocked at the state Taker was prior to the Reigns match. I mean, we all knew he was banged up but Jesus. Any other form of entertainment and someone would stage an intervention.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Royal Rumble should of been the sign to hold off on the Reigns match. I remember thinking Taker in the RR match was moving around like the Iron Sheik.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another positive coming out of this doc is Taker doing interviews now. The interview he did on ESPN about Hogan and winning the title was pretty interesting. I never put much thought into why Taker dropped the title back to Hulk so quickly in 1991 but now hearing about the fake neck injury it makes perfect sense... Hogan was being Hogan and protecting his spot.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Episode 4:

Didn't like it in the previous episode and didn't like it this time around, mentioning he blamed himself for the tag match at Saudi due to the issues that he with his family leading up to the second show. This documentary has done a lot to show a lot of details and I get it Taker didn't want the actual stories of the issues to come around but if that's the case, don't leave that line in there.

This stretch with the old takes of the vignettes kind of helped really encapsulate his commitment to the gimmick, level of control, and his professionalism. I feel like that would have been really strong to lead or end an episode in this and not just a throwaway transition block within a quarter of an episode. Same for the bit where wrestling was the thing that made him comfortable because he always knew the answer. That control or confidence gave him comfort.

It was way too brief, but I really liked the falling out story between Taker and Vince when it came to his booked appearance for Starrcast II. There was a lot of meat on the bone there that they probably didn't share.

Seeing his family, including him, feeling weird and awkward during their tour of Axxess the weekend of 35 made so much sense where they didn't really know how to adapt. They hit you over the head that he was uncomfortable not being on the show but it makes sense considering he was a staple for so many years. I really, really enjoyed Batista's perspective of it. I think a lot of people in the industry or fans think what he was thinking but I doubt many people would feel comfortable saying that on camera.

Considering how motivated Taker was for the Goldberg match, and how he expressed that prior to the show, it's pretty deflating to see how bad that match ended ups being. It definitely took him down the road out doubt that he was in prior to 34 and probably to a higher degree. Based off what we saw, seemed like that was short-lived because he looked ready (or faked it) for Extreme Rules. The recap of the actual match made that thing look fantastic. I will never tire seeing that framed shot of McIntyre rising from below to lurk as Taker was posing. Epic shot. Even better was the real stuff in gorilla with Vince.

Triple H's comments about what has ultimately been who Taker has been loyal to was a great touch. Great appetizer with the closing shots of the episode, and what was said in the teaser for next week in regards to this Mania and how it potentially came about.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm getting tired of the "I'm done" "Or maybe I still have a few left in me" nonsense. I understand the struggle but he literally went to Vince after the tag match and said he's done and goes to the lockerroom and says maybe I can still do it. I do remember that tag match and thinking he did look good minus the semi-botched Tombstone though you could of blame that on Shane. I think tag matches are the way to go for him at this point. Maybe they could do a Team Hell No thing with Taker and AJ at some point since Taker seems to want to show more of his personality now and AJ could carry the load and make Taker look good.

But I'm super curious as to how they end this, the whole thing has been about him retiring, can they end it on anything besides that? Is this whole series pointless if it ends exactly where it began? Or can Taker officially announce he's retired? Or maybe announce that next years WM will be his retirement match? From what I've read they are still filming next weeks show so it should be pretty current.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Great seeing Tim White in the background when Undertaker was talking to Ricky Steamboat.

Vince kidding Undertaker about having him come back to feud with Giant Gonzalez's son was excellent.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Undertaker making the Jim Halpert face after his rainbows and sunshine comment will definitely end up as a meme.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod1983
    Great seeing Tim White in the background when Undertaker was talking to Ricky Steamboat.

Vince kidding Undertaker about having him come back to feud with Giant Gonzalez's son was excellent.
    That was funny.

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by LibSuperstar View Post
    That was funny.
    Might've been my favorite moment of the series so far. I jumped out of my seat when he said that

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll say this about this Undertaker special.

As weird as it sounds - I'm kind of glad The Undertaker is in this sort of "Will he? Won't he?" kind of relationship with wrestling. It paints the profession in a better light to see someone who's made millions of dollars and who could step away and never have to take a bump for the rest of his life, agonizing over the thought of another match.

You see too many guys 'Taker's age who made a lot of money, lost it all, and who are barely scraping by doing autograph signings, working some kind of dead-end day job, and wrestling on indie shows that are way beneath them for a few hundred bucks.

The Undertaker proves that not every wrestler of a certain age has to be "The Wrestler". That not every old guy still works in front of 50 people in a VFW Hall for crack money. Some guys do it because they love it.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a bit narcisitic.

Like "the whole wrestling world revolves around me". Or him.

It doesn't and he should've gone years ago and we all know it.

Watching the Undertaker 'wrestle' these past years has been an awful lot like watching the Great Willie Mays drop a fly ball in the World Series on his way out the door.

Yet he does one 20 minute Hollywood fight scene with AJ Styles that any stuntman could do and folks gush as if he's back and can still wrestle lol....

I can recall a friend sitting here in my family room crying after Wrestlemania 33 when Undertaker 'retired'.

Enough already.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you've had the kind of career and the number of insane highs a guy like 'Taker has had, you've earned the right for a little bit of narcissism.

It'll take a lot more than a couple of bad Saudi Arabia matches to completely ruin a guy like Undertaker. And I still think he's got enough left in the tank to have a good match with the right guy. Instead of bonin' AJ Styles in the boneyard, he needs to wrestle him in a real match. That'll be his swansong. 'Taker put on the best wrestling matches of his life with Shawn Michaels. And AJ Styles is probably as close to a modern Shawn as we've got.

Then its enough already.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So watching Last Ride. It seems every match from WM 30 on has been underwhelming. Though, it didn't touch on the two follow ups with Lesnar or his Survivor Series team up with Kane. What should follow burying Styles without fans? It would have to be once the pandemic is over, but who should it be? He had about a half-dozen matches that could've been it, and now it's probably too late. As it is, he was going to win the Andre The Giant Battle Royal at WrestleMania before the pandemic hit, and I guess it's possible for next year, and that's cool I guess, but for The Undertaker's last match, it seems underwhelming.

So yeah, I'll never tell anyone that it's time to hang it up, but I don't make the rules about missing the chance to do something meaningful on account of waiting too long, either.
    Last edited by Brock Kasady; June 21st, 2020 at 10:55 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Undertaker's last match should be against Kane at a Wrestlemania.

Give them 10 minutes, both guys get their "greatest hits" in, and 'Taker wins with a Tombstone.

And then the entire roster comes out, including guys like Shawn Michaels, Vince, Triple H, and the whole crew. They're about to end the segment when the glass shatters and Austin's music hits. He comes down and everybody drinks beer together. Then on RAW the next night, they give the entire top of the third hour to 'Taker to give a retirement speech. Unscripted.

And then 'Taker rides off into the sunset and we never see him on TV again.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Episode 5:

I can appreciate the sentiment about MSG from Taker's perspective in September, but they already went over that in a previous episode lol. They also didn't really touch on the fact that the appearance on Smackdown in MSG was a total waste, especially considering what he did on the show (Zayn interrupted him and received a chokeslam for his troubles. The bigger note was the fact that Taker said, at that point, that he was free and clear of doubt in his mind regarding to performing in the ring anymore. It didn't seemed planned but the quick story about the eye makeup and his dad was quite good.

Michelle actually going along with Styles' suggesting as it was pitched was kind of a surprise, considering her investment on seeing her husband being done. I'm personally of the belief that Bryan is a slightly better wrestler but I get it with Styles because he's right there. I think this episode, as a whole, was good in putting a spotlight on Styles because he can be underrated as a performer in the bigger picture. It was funny how McMahon and Taker tried to rib Styles once Taker made his decision about Mania.

I like how they tried to go with the The Last Dance trick, in WWE form, with having Taker watch one of Styles' promos on his phone as he was training. I'm glad Taker kind of shed light on what the Unholy Trinity was supposed to be that he brought to Mania because it didn't feel like they did a good job explaining that in the build to Mania. Now it makes sense. Felt kind of forced in there but it was good seeing the emergence of ABA Taker being acknowledged. I guess the way it was presented in this episode helped round out how it came back around for the match with Styles.

Pretty startling revelation Taker shared about the phone call he got from his niece after they went though the walkthrough of the Boneyard Match. The real-life circumstances Taker went through, in the setting in, just adds more praise that he deserves. What a pro. Hearing his stance about how the retakes and the changing the setup for the cameras was tough on his body was definitely enlightening. I hadn't really thought about how the stoppage to readjust things would be tough on him.

Hearing Taker say he can do more good outside of the ring than inside and then seeing Taker at the PC earlier in the episode, giving wisdom and how that trickled to different generations of performers kind of brought it all full circle. If he's truly a lifer, then sharing that wisdom was going to be just as important as performing in the ring and you could see that play out when he was working at the PC with the NXT talent. Michelle mentioned that whenever they would be in Orlando, Taker would make it a point to go to NXT. That kind of strikes me how HBK was a few years ago before he became the right-hand man for Triple H. I can't tell if Taker would move on to that kind of role or just be a fly-in helper from time to time because I can see either scenario. At the very least he's going to be a fly-in guy.

Hearing the cast of characters at the end pay their respects to Taker's career was cliche but very well done. That did a nice job of putting a bow and encapsulating his career. It's hard to buy into the fact that he feels like he's done because he's waffled so many times, but I think his admissions/concessions at the end did create a somewhat compelling case to believe he's done. McMahon just needs to leave well enough alone and not feel like he needs to break the emergency glass.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just don't think that scenario to end it can realistically be topped. It was an imperfect fate. He had to go out at a 'Mania, but he doesn't have that 1-on-1 epic in him anymore. The pandemic afforded him the opportunity to have a legitimately superb piece of business, in the main event of Wrestlemania, with him able to play the greatest hits of his entire career before literally and figuratively riding off into the sunset. Accompanied by a fantastic documentary series that has transitioned him from the mythical Undertaker to the personable, human Mark Callaway.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An emotional and hard-hitting documentary series with this last part really the icing on the cake. The attempted rib on Styles when Taker agreed to do the match was amusing and it was the right decision for them to not just do total Deadman at Boneyard but to incorporate all elements of the character. Seeing more of the behibd the scenes buuild-up with the promos with even Michelle temporarily being taken aback by Styles's promo was cool. I'll admit to not being the biggest fan of Michelle when she was performing but through this series it was warming to see how much she loves and cares for her husband. Cute footage with their daughter too.

I had no idea that his brother had passed away and he had to work through that doing the Boneyard match. Showed real strength and character and the finished product of the match was amazing considering his circumstances.

What an ending to the series and what an ending to a career. From the Undertaker to Mark Callaway. The tributes were well done too.

Please don't feel the need to break the emergency glass Vince. Let Mark be Mark now.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't buy it, that emergency glass line leaves me to think he could be back by Summerslam if Vince wants to draw a decent live crowd. If he is done, good for him. I don't need to see him wrestle anymore though I think a legit match with AJ will kinda be like the match with Sting that never happened in wondering what would have been.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If his last match was the one with AJ then that is perfect. I think too often we have been able to prepare. Mick Foley, Ric Flair, Terry Funk, HBK coming out saying "this is the last time you'll see me" but obviously they never stuck to their word but still, I think for some fans this will be tough to digest because he didn't come out and go ok, this is my last match.

Watching the documentary I do agree that if Roman was the last match that's fine. Back then I was not happy about the idea but realizing A-the match wasn't as bad as some might say and B-it made sense to pass the torch so to speak to a guy like Roman. But now with the way the AJ match went down, that's perfect especially for the master of the gimmick match The Undertaker. Boneyard match fits right in with Casket Match, HIAC, Boiler Room Brawl, Buried Alive.

Funny that most of us thought WCW were dumb as fuck with that cemetary match with Vampiro and Sting or whatever the fuck that was lol.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    I loved me some Vampiro!

I've still only seen episode one of this. Must get back to it.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Takers last match should have been with Sting at WM31. I will never understand why they did HHH instead which no-one wanted to see.

Intercontinental Champion Melly's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Incredible doc, always loved The Undertaker. He had an amazing career.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Romford Pele View Post
    Takers last match should have been with Sting at WM31. I will never understand why they did HHH instead which no-one wanted to see.
    I was into the idea of the match, it made sense but only if Sting won. The fact that the WWE put more emphasis on the real life "war", where they probably thought Triple H was seen as the good guy and Sting the bad guy because he was from WCW, it hurt the result. The match made no sense with the nWo coming out....MAYBE if it wasn't about getting Hogan camera time lol, they could have done the Wolfpac with Nash, Hall, and idk Scott Steiner lol....either way, Triple H didn't need the win, plain and simple.

Sting went on that same year to challenge for the World title. What they could have done is have Sting win at WM 31 and then build Sting v. Rollins as the student getting revenge against the guy who defeated his "master".

Survivor Series you put Sting and Taker on the same team, one of them causes the other to get eliminated OR they are both the last 2 survivors. Rumble they eliminate each other, and Mania 32 we get Taker v. Sting. If they wanted to put them in HIAC, I'm down with that. Make Shane-O-Mac the ref and the reason the match happens, he can take his stupid bump and Taker wins. That's all perfect world shit obviously.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t remember which is true but I remember reading that Taker hadn’t agreed to come back until after they already started building Sting/HHH and Taker wasn’t interested in working with Sting.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Heel 1990-1991 Undertaker was and always will be my favorite Undertaker. Just so damn scary.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Heel 1990-1991 Undertaker was and always will be my favorite Undertaker. Just so damn scary.
    So true, my older brother took me to my first house show in 91 and I think i was 5 going on 6 but while Taker was making his entrance I thought he made eye contact with me and I immediately wanted to go home. My brother had to call my parents on a pay phone to convince me to stay and that Taker wasn’t coming after me.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The idea I had was that Sting and Undertaker win their matches at Mania and then they have a match at Survivor Series where Taker wins. Sting goes into the Hall of Fame in 2016 and officially retires.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I think he should have retired when he lost to Lesnar. They could have had druids come out and roll him into a coffin and wheel him away. Plan a big funeral for the character on the next night of RAW.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I think he should have retired when he lost to Lesnar. They could have had druids come out and roll him into a coffin and wheel him away. Plan a big funeral for the character on the next night of RAW.
    meh

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Kasady View Post
    The idea I had was that Sting and Undertaker win their matches at Mania and then they have a match at Survivor Series where Taker wins. Sting goes into the Hall of Fame in 2016 and officially retires.
    not a bad thought.

i have a hard time saying when someone I don't know should retire. I loved his tag match with Reigns at Extreme Rules. His Goldberg match was unfortunate but what does anyone expect

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    not a bad thought.

i have a hard time saying when someone I don't know should retire. I loved his tag match with Reigns at Extreme Rules. His Goldberg match was unfortunate but what does anyone expect
    I dug that tag-team match as well.

The Goldberg match....You know I don't think anyone expected Goldberg to have a good match at this stage or really any stage of his career as they were very very few and far between. I don't think anyone expected him to knock himself senseless, I can't even think of a time I've seen that happen in 35 years where someone legit fucked themselves up by going headfirst into a turnbuckle pad.

I think it would have been a match that we would have walked away and said most of the same shit lol. Pointless, cash grab. I mean, Goldberg took a lot of heat but it's not like Taker didn't shit the bed in the DX match.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taker/Goldberg just seemed like it was destined for failure given their ages and Goldberg never really being more than a 5-10 minute wrestler. I’m amazed that nobody called an audible before the Jackhammer though, obviously Taker did with the chokeslam finish but I think everyone got nervous as soon as Goldberg set Taker up for the Jackhammer.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Ive not enjoyed anything Taker has done since Mania 29, besides the Bonegrave match. I genuinely believe he should have hung the boots up a long time ago. Wouldn't mind him coming back one last time to actually lose to someone on the way out though.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Brinks truck full of Saudi Arabian gold is kind of hard to turn down.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taker/Goldberg just seemed like it was destined for failure given their ages and Goldberg never really being more than a 5-10 minute wrestler. I’m amazed that nobody called an audible before the Jackhammer though, obviously Taker did with the chokeslam finish but I think everyone got nervous as soon as Goldberg set Taker up for the Jackhammer.
    This is what happens when even a vet like Taker is too stuck in the script of the match. I promise you they worked on every single detail of that match before going in and it just became all about getting those spots in for the crowd.

Seriously....who was the genius agent that thought a Tombstone reversal spot was smart? And why on Earth 2 vets like Taker and Goldberg just continued on with the script is beyond me. Taker knew this guy was hurt, they were both gassed because it was a trillion degrees in that bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Hero! View Post
    Ive not enjoyed anything Taker has done since Mania 29, besides the Bonegrave match. I genuinely believe he should have hung the boots up a long time ago. Wouldn't mind him coming back one last time to actually lose to someone on the way out though.
    Curious who he could come back and lose to once and for all and have them run with it. The Fiend stands out, Rollins stands out. 2 guys in 2 different ways that could benefit from putting the final nail in Taker's coffin. At this point I'm cool with him going out with a win. I know it seems like the only satisfaction we as fan seem to think we'll get out of an illustrious career is to see that character die but it's ok to mix it up.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's a legend. A Legend Killer should put him out of his misery.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    He's a legend. A Legend Killer should put him out of his misery.
    Greatest Boneyard Match Ever?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always remember as a kid being obsessed with him, even though he was a bad guy. I drove my folks insane until they found me a Taker t-shirt so I could fight the kids wearing a Bret Hart one. There was something about him then and that just carried on as I grew up. The initial Kane feud was just as much what got me back into wrestling as Austin.

I wasn't a big American Badass fan at all and loved when he went back to the dead man at WMXX. At the time I thought it was his swan song. Especially being a Brit who had got used to reading teletext and see he was retiring as often as Shamrock was returning. It's a testament to the guy that he has carried on for longer than the rumours of his retirement.

Folk talk about the shitter side of things and how rough some stuff has been in recent times. I recall his 99/00 stuff being fucking awful at times but noone really remembers that now.

I honestly don't care to have him do a one final match where he lays down for someone. That was the plan for the Reigns match and It was such a bag of arse he couldn't leave it at that. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. More often than not the best final matches are either to someone of an equal stature or just one that isn't billed as such. I think guys like him should say 'this was it' as he has done and that be that.

Either way, the guy is responsible for a good chunk of why I've stayed a wrestling fan all these years, so he could have gone out losing to Michael Cole or even worse, HHH and i'd be okay with it

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taker isn't done.

Boneyard match won't be enough. He's gonna need the pop. I see him and AJ happening again at next year's mania in front of a 100k people.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or Survivor Series since it will be 30 years since his debut, end it where it started.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have his last match be War Games. Undertaker debuts and retires as his team's mystery partner in a 4 on 4 match at Survivor Series.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tales of the Deadman was good but much shorter than I expected, I’m not sure if it was limited do to the product being PG or if they want to save other tales for another episode but I’m sure Taker has many more stories to tell.

I want a 3 to 75 hour special on him just talking about all of his biggest matches, his reactions and how they came to be.

Intercontinental Champion Melly's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I just want an endless documentary. It was just THAT amazing.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tales was a bit underwhelming, I thought.